[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /tg/I need help since I have never done it before. I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 2987855[1].jpg (105 KB, 600x783) Image search: [Google]
2987855[1].jpg
105 KB, 600x783
Hi /tg/I need help since I have never done it before. I want to run a 1e adventure in 2e but I am unsure how to convert to THAC0. Do I just take the HD of the monsters since they are not given a strength/dex value? is there another way to do it?
Thank you
>>
>>46507556
Yes, use the HD of monsters and compare it to the THAC0 of an equivalent-level fighter.
>>
>>46507653
Fighter and monsters seem to have a different THAC0 table. Also, does that means that an HD 1 monster has a THAC0 of 20? so monsters are inferior to PCs? (just making sure here)
>>
>>46507734
First-level PCs have THAC0 20.
>>
>>46507840
Yes but it gets modified by STR and DEX (depending on the type of attack) so that's why I am asking
>>
File: thackoh.jpg (63 KB, 900x250) Image search: [Google]
thackoh.jpg
63 KB, 900x250
>>46507933
Oh, I see what you're saying.

As far as I know, you just use the straight HD. I'm pretty sure that's an actual rule, but remember that AD&D is mostly just a collection of suggestions, so if you feel like dexmonkey monsters deserve a lower THAC0, go ahead and give them a bonus. If it seems to overpowered, go back to just the base HD rating.
>>
>>46508025
*too overpowered

Goddamn I need to spray out my keyboard
>>
>>46508025
>>46508045
Thank you. I will try using the suggested THAC0s and see how that goes
>>
>>46508073
What's the module?
>>
>>46508117
Temple of Elemental Evil, I wanted to run a classic for a group of newer players (all of them started with either 4e or 5e)
>>
>>46508161
Well, if they survive, consider this one next.

I have a hardcopy of it. It's pretty neat. Basically a proto-Planescape.
>>
>>46508311
That's awesome. I will get it now, thank you
>>
>>46508568
No prob. I have scans and hardcopies of all the 1E Monster Manuals if you want any of them to supplement the game.
>>
>>46508763
Well, I do have the 2e MM and I am using 2e so it makes it easier. Thank you
>>
>>46508949
I just meant if there was a monster in the module that wasn't in 2E and you wanted more information about it.

Good luck though! Remember to let the players know that it's a brutal adventure. You might want to have them roll up a few extra characters.
>>
>>46509026
And depending on how much cash they have, hirelings. Lots and lots of hirelings. Seriously. 0-lvl fighters are cheap and a few of them can mean the difference between making it through a crawl and crawling through your friends. Also, they're good for carrying heavy shit.

Cannot stress enough how useful hirelings are in 2nd ed.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.