[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warpath Wednesday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: warpathwednesday1.jpg (333 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
warpathwednesday1.jpg
333 KB, 1200x800
Discuss games set in the Mantic's Warpath universe: Mass Battles, Firefight, Deadzone, and Dreadball

What is Warpath?
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warpath
(needs to be expanded upon a bunch and corrected, old article)

Mass Battles: Large scale battles with big blocks of troops and vehicles (think 40k Apocalypse) - Open Beta
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwkk5x5ooszx0zu/Warpath%20Beta%2014-03-16.pdf?dl=0

Firefight: Focused a little more on big battles, but not as big as above (think 1500-2000 pt games of 40k) - Open Beta
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyc72fvva6e3dmf/Firefight%20V%201.3.pdf?dl=0

Deadzone: Small scale skirmish on boards with lots of terrain (think Infinity, but simpler) - 2nd edition, Public release in May
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/woayb5yb9fke1/deadzone
(Link also includes Containment Protocols, an anthology of short stories set in the Warpath universe)
How to play videos:
https://youtu.be/OyeTtVgJPFY
https://youtu.be/inuJFLv89-k

Dreadball: Galactic and brutal sportsgame set in the universe (think bloodbowl, but scifi) - Available
(No links to rules, yet)

Any other useful resources, please let me know.
>>
Last thread >>46438135
>>
>>46506211
I've been looking at the Warpath setting recently, as a means to get back into scifi gaming (I got tired of the grim darkness), and I apprciate the link to Containment protocols.

I'm curious if anyone tried the zombie expansion, how was it? I've only played a demo game so far but it looks like fun.
>>
>>46506607
I havent played the zombie expansion because i believe that was just a scenario in one of the old deadzone books, one which I don't have.
>>
What is the stance on using other manufacturers minis in warpath?

Is it like KoW where it's manufacturer neutral ?

I'd like to give it a go and have about 60 marines and 50 IG, would this be enough for an intro game ?
>>
>>46507597
As far as i can tell its pretty neutral on that stuff. Although something truly iconic to 40k used in warpath may seem cheap on the tournament/event level. What i mean is if you use a 40k army painted to look like a 40k army, its not going to get any positive votes.

But i have seen people use 40k orks to represent marauders and such.

But if you just want to experience the game and try it out, use whatever you want, really.
>>
>>46507597
Yeah, that should be enough, even for the mass game, if you run about 1k per side.
>>
So over on the Mantic forums, there's the idea being pitched to make unit leader upgrades more customizable. Right now, all they are is a way to get more Command dice and maybe add a rule or two. It doesn't really add much, when Firefight has more focus on the models than the units as a whole.

Thoughts?
>>
>>46508645
Are you talking about deadzone or what game?
>>
>>46508645
I would like to see something like relics or special weapons, like melee weapons and such. Thats one thing I like about 40k, is the special weapon tables characters can buy from.

I get that they are trying to keep things simple, but the game is simple enough and could use some weapon variety in units. Sure we can keep things simple, but at what cost?
>>
>>46509566
Sorry, should've said it was Firefight.
>>
>>46512035
Yeah i figured it out later, my reply is >>46511564
>>
>>46511564
I do like that they have the special and heavy weapon options for units, but yeah, I'd like to see some separation from the MB system. Right now, a lot of the rules are just direct copy over, and its not working. I'd like to see some customization to make the smaller scale feel more personable. It'd also help with some of the stinker choices, like the Corps General or the Enforcer Captain.
>>
Forge Fathers have me fairly interested in this game, can someone tell me how they play?
>>
File: IMAG0568.jpg (411 KB, 1344x760) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0568.jpg
411 KB, 1344x760
>>46515926
They pretty much play exactly how you expect them to play.

They are the lower numbers, slow moving, tough as shit, devastating weaponry guys.

These guys are pretty much fantasy trope dwarves to a T, but instead replace their mountain holds with fleets of impenetrable space juggernaut ships and forge stars which are gigantic machines that are powered by sucking suns dry. These machines are used to strip mine entire worlds molecule by molecule, wasting absolutely nothing like an indian butchering a buffalo. They laugh at humanities piddly 'mining operations' and their short impetuous lives.

While Asterians hold the best stealth tech and robotics in the universe, these guys hold the best armour and guns in the universe. Fuck, even the corporations contract them to build the Enforcer's armour, the most advanced shit the humans know how to use.

Their faults of course are their low numbers and terrible patience and quick to remember wrongdoings. The only forgefathers with a decent amount of give and the humans prefer to work with are the Brokkrs (pronounced bro-kerz), merchants and gobetweeners. The rest of their race considers them as pretty liberal nutjobs, but provide many means of profit for the clans.

They are an alien race, so not descended from man or our ancestors or anything like that.
>>
>>46516124

Thanks friend.

I love tough and heavily armored factions so FFs being just that and being Space Dwarves is perfect for me.

Is there any artwork of their ships out there?
>>
>>46516239
Unfortunately, no. All we know about them is how big and destructive and tough they are.
>>
>>46515926
>>46516124
There's also a neat bit in Infestation book, talking about their interest in Exham 4. They were content on launching a planet's trajectory to influence the Exham's orbit, to make it uninhabitable to humans, but the Veer-myn forced them to step in to make sure the humans don't screw them over by ruining the planet in order to eradicate the Veer-myn.

Love me some Space Dwarves.
>>
>>46516392
Oh yes that incited lols. I love the way the book set it up too. Talking about a freak asteroid that knocked the planet out of its orbit when all the shit went down, with no explanation.

Then in the forgefathers campaign description, and only there, it mentions the forgefathers did it, rather nonchalantly which makes it all the more hilarious.
>>
File: forgefatherships.jpg (85 KB, 500x624) Image search: [Google]
forgefatherships.jpg
85 KB, 500x624
>>46516239
i imagine they look like this
>>
Speaking of Space Dwarves, anyone know any good basis for converting them? Mostly, something that looks more sci-fi berserker-y for Brokkrs.
>>
File: IMAG0569.jpg (183 KB, 834x638) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0569.jpg
183 KB, 834x638
>>46516519
Cut off brokkr heads. Put on fyreslayer heads. Cut off hammers at the hands. Drill holes into hands. Stick in axe hafts.

Bam, forgefather slayers. No armour, frenzy in combat.

These are my relic hunters. The heads are from the longbeards kit, but the age of sigmar fyreslayers should be the same scale. And the 3 brokkrs behind the guy with the hammer are all wielding axes.
>>
>>46516568
May steal your idea. Not a fan of the new Fyreslayers, but the Longbeards and Hammerers have good heads. I could've sworn that someone was making space Dwarf berserkers, but I guess I was wrong.
>>
>>46516775
I dunno man, I think these heads would look pretty kickass on them.
>>
>>46516811
Actually, without the mohawk bits, they could work. The helmets have a bit of a sci-fi feel to them.
>>
>>46516889
The beards are short, but not too short, too. One thing about the longbeards is theirs are rediculously long. I kinda wish they were a tad shorter.

who am i kidding, there is no such thing as a beard that is too long
>>
>>46516935
>who am i kidding, there is no such thing as a beard that is too long
Exactly. Actually partially Why I'm lukewarm on the standard Brokkr heads. Too many clean faces.
>>
>>46516952
Yeah clean shaven isnt right for dwarfs. But I just dont want the beards elevating the figures off the bases. I had to stick those in boiling water to make them curve back a bit
>>
>>46508645
I want more individuals heroes.

Like having a basic Enforcer captain be in regular armour, and you choose to upgrade him to have a rifle, or peacekeeper armour, or have a demo pack, etc.

The huscarl example on the forums was good. In the original kow in space rules a huscarl was a hero who started with a pistol but had options to take a 2nd pistol, a hammer, take a shield, or upgrade his armour to a power suit. It's kind of dumb that Firefight is smaller scale than KoWarpath was but way more abstract about heroes and leaders. A game about individual figures mattering where all but the top officers aren't individual figures.
>>
So two things about Warpath and Firefight. The first is, anyone kinda meh about the minimum unit spam that the Veer-myn does right now? I know they have an order to do a mass activation, but its still weird that the swarmy army can't take big units.

The other part that ties into that, which is the fact that minimum units are more or less the best, anyway. Right now, the only reason I'd see taking them is in Firefight in order to overcome the bullshit of the Asterian shields. I'd really like to see a reason to take more than the minimum in a unit. I know force organization, when it comes about, may fix that, but still.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.