[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Illithid Temple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: illithid.jpg (335 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
illithid.jpg
335 KB, 800x600
Sup /tg/, I'm planning on running a dungeon that is a the ruin of an Illithid Temple.

What are some cool things I can put in it to really sell it?
>>
Illithid.
>>
>>46503821
and Illithid accessories, like slaves
>>
>>46503821
Well, got that. That and some of those intellect devourers and then also the floaty one that's a brain with a beak and tentacles.

More like, odd constructions or little flavor things I could throw in.

I'll have a big empty pool at some point that was once for an elder brain.
>>
File: image.png (618 KB, 496x575) Image search: [Google]
image.png
618 KB, 496x575
Have a tumblr post

http://thecreaturechronicle.tumblr.com/post/79020519574/mind-flayer-pantheon

Have you considered what god they're worshipping?

Have you considered Thoon?

Thoon adventures half write themselves
>>
File: aboleth_by_spiralmagus-d7vlemj.jpg (101 KB, 835x1080) Image search: [Google]
aboleth_by_spiralmagus-d7vlemj.jpg
101 KB, 835x1080
>>46503772

Got Aboleth?
>>
>>46503772
What level are the PCs?
>>
>>46503922
>>46503925
Only level 6, and 5e. So a lot of the standard Illithid enemies are kinda pushing difficultly, thus the "forgotten ruin" kinda motif.

I considered putting a dead aboleth in it that might have an illithid necromancer doing stuff with it.
>>
>>46503956
Also setting is Eberron if that helps.

>>46503874
Awesome, thanks!
>>
>>46503869
>intellect devourers
Please tell me these are treated as pests by the Illithids

They are the equivalent of rats stealing your food.

>odd constructions
Put in the chamber where they used to do the transformations of people into Illithids
>>
File: Ixitxachitl.jpg (88 KB, 447x200) Image search: [Google]
Ixitxachitl.jpg
88 KB, 447x200
>>46503922

Ixitxachitl are fine too.

>>46503956

If they're that low, Sahuagin make good adversaries. Especially in their natural aquatic environment.
>>
>>46503984
Yeah. I've got a pair scurrying around the temple for scraps.
>>
>>46503956
Before you do anything with necromancy, keep in MIMD that Illithids are distrustful of magic and undead are treated as anathema - most mind-bending psionic powers don't work on them.
If you're going to have an Illithid necromancer there, consider theming the Illithids there as outcasts, far removed from any Elder Brain!
>>
>>46503956
Fun thing about aboleths, if they're removed from water they don't choke to death. They dry up and turn to stone, while their mind is still alive.

Put one of those in
>>
>>46504081
oh shit that's even better. Hell yes.

Now I don't even have to use a necromancer. It can just be an illithid trying to probe into it's brain for knowledge and memories.

The PCs are being led by an archaeologist npc after a circlet (that will give him the ability to read minds). Once they clear out the ruin that gives me an even better hook for the NPCs descent into full on Lovecraftian occultist.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 250x359) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 250x359
>>46503984
How good are you at building monsters? Impressive, scary monsters?

Because you could build a neothilid.

Imagine, empty room after empty room. There's even some treasure. Graphic scenes of brain extraction. Then, They start finding the corpses of ithilid explorers stored very carefully with their brains removed.

They make their way down to the spawning pool, and this thing is coiled in The pool, rises up, and starts casting nasty spells on them

You could pull it off. It'd be hard to balance, but the fact that this is the ONLY thing in the dungeon should emphasize that all the stops need to be pulled out
>>
>>46503956
>>46503972

You could have lesser Daelkyr minions that were called to the ruins, maybe the bizarre architecture of the temple acts as a sort of psionic beacon to such creatures.
>>
>>46504150
>trying to data-mine a petrified aboleth as though it were a lost archive

Jesus. THAT'S going to end well...

I like the idea a lot, though.
>>
>>46504174
I think I'm pretty decent at it. I like this idea a lot though and will store it away for the next Illithid theme thing.

Right now I'm kinda setting up hooks for an overrarching occult nonsense and the NPCs descent into madness and lust for eldritch power.
>>
>>46503874
God they worship?
....Cthulu or Dagon, or both.
>>
Is there any reference to the art forms that Illithids prefer? I'm wondering if rooms full of bas-relief hieroglyphics would be appropriate, or completely abstract sculpture.

Which Lovecraft story is the one about exploring the city on the Antarctic plateau? I'm sure that could be mined for all kinds of reference.
>>
>>46503772
Mindflayers practically sell themselves.
1. decide how large the community is
2. Add slave
3. JUST AS PLANNED
4. ???
5. Brains
>>
>>46504787
I know their writing has the four-line Braille thing going on (you read it with 4 tentacles simultaneously to get the full meaning)
>>
Ïa Dagon! Ïa Hydra! Ïa Cthulhu! Ïa! Ïa!
>>
>>46504787
At the Mountains of Madness.

My favorite reading of it is by Richard Coyle.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.