[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Of wizardry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1459282842386.jpg (147 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
1459282842386.jpg
147 KB, 800x534
What is a good magic system /tg/ ? I want to create a setting where magic is banned by the church, but is massively used in ennemies' country. The magic needs to stay powerful while not being OP, and the non users should be able to take on magic users with classical weaponry.

Because I'm a lazy hack, the setting is very close to XV-XVI Europe, with power warfare becoming more and more prominent, and the Ottomans being the magic users.

So I've been thinking of a few things like :

-Witches can use witches powers like premonition, healing potions and animal based powers (body possession and all)

-Ottomans could use battalions of wizards to concentrate large amounts of mana to take on canons or castle walls, or even armies in the field

I have a hard time figuring out how the individual wizard would be though. What kind of magic could he use ? Necromancy should be very rare and hard to use for example, I don't want lich armies.
I was thinking about long casting times, or how a spell would require heavy amount of concentration/physical energy which would exaust the wizard very fast, allowing soldiers to take on him after a while.

What do you suggest guys ? I forgot to say the setting is very low fantasy, I'd like to keep it coherent and "realistic" if you get what I mean
>>
>>46496941
World of Darkness. Old or new
>>
>>46496941
*powder warfare damnit
>>
>>46496941
That sounds almost exactly like Ars Magica.

>hedge mages with potions literally pre-made in one book
>use Wizard's Communion to get lots of mages working on one long-term enchantment ritual
>choice between long, costly ritual magic or quick, fatiguing formula & spontaneous magic

The only problem would be bringing magic down to a lower level, but there's a few ways to do that.

PDF thread usually has a link to most of the books. The book with what you'll want for witches is "Hedge Magic," other than that the core book should be good for most types of wizarding.
>>
>>46496941
>San Stark.jpg

Okay, let's see.
>the church
So not fantasy then?
>powerful while not being OP
Like a car that goes fast but not too fast?
This is meaningless.
>the Ottomans being the magic users
Is it pee-magic involving frozen forests?
>I'd like to keep it coherent and "realistic" if you get what I mean
Totally, dude!

I came in here because I thought I had something to add, but this is way beyond my fetish range.
>>
>>46496941

Imma GURPS fag but I'm just going to up and say Ars Magica. (Which you can model in GURPS)
>>
>>46496950
>>46497202
>>46497326
Thanks I'll look it up.

>>46497264
>the church
You can't have a church in fantasy ?
>powerful while not being OP
By that it can be either straining conditions on the user or a limited application domain for the magic
>Is it pee-magic involving frozen forests?
?
>>
Maybe try a resource system with specific differering types of mana that are spent in different ways and tie in to different attributes
>>
>>46496941
Try rejiggering Shadowrun. Its magic system is at once powerful but not too powerful.
>>
File: RitualMagicShaintar.png (2 MB, 2212x791) Image search: [Google]
RitualMagicShaintar.png
2 MB, 2212x791
Savage Worlds could do that well I think.
Give different Nations or whatever different pools of spells and different methods of casting them.
For example the Ottomans castings could use the Ritual Casting from shaintar, pic related. With the spells having high costs so that you either pool many magicians together or wait for the right time/are at the right place/have enough sacrifieces or something else.
Or of course, you could just try to fit the basic idea to whatever system you use.
>>
>>46497732
Oh looks interesting, thanks !
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.