[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Official /tg/ Tier thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15
File: tg tier listing.jpg (234 KB, 1328x1058) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
234 KB, 1328x1058
Continued from >>46449324
This is just a prototype, but let us work together to rank the various types of posters, threads and games that are all part of /tg/.
>>
We're still figuring out a metric that is better than just "superior to" to measure the different grades of /tg/-related subjects, but so far the idea is the farther down you go on the chart, the more cancerous it becomes.
It's not set in stone either, so if any of you have suggestions for changes or including new subjects, it's totally open to change if you can provide an argument for your position.
>>
>>46491563
>Civs being above QMs

Other than that I have no objections, but if I wanted interactive number crunching I'd get into competitive pokemon.
>>
>>46491717
I'll trust your judgement although I don't participate with either Civs or Quests, how would you compare CYOAs with them?
>>
>>46491772
CYOA > QMs > Civs > Quest players

I can see people arguing QMs > CYOA though since Quests can be interactive both in and out of game, but no wait times and and not needing to wade through discussion puts CYOA higher.
>>
File: tg tier listing.jpg (290 KB, 1330x1020) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
290 KB, 1330x1020
>>46491900
Sounds good to me. I added some more stuff to it as well, I need suggestions now for /tg/ homebrew systems and their ranking as well as board games.
>>
>>46493113
Needs ND at the absolute bottom of the bottom
>>
>>46493137
They were suggested last time along with Jim Profit and Nazi Mod, how do they compare to each other? I'll put them in, but I don't want to include too many tripfags.
>>
File: tg tier listing.jpg (318 KB, 1330x1076) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
318 KB, 1330x1076
Update! I added more games and an even worst shitposter. Please give me your suggestions for stuff to include or change.
>>
>pro mtg players
>not just spendy fags minmaxing their decks

Sure they can win a lot and are experienced with the game, but they're super nitpicky.
>>
>>46491563
My humble feedback.

Over at larps:
Vampire Larpers should be split in two groups.
Good vampire larpers (they can keep their position), and Cheesy vampire larpers who by all means should be below scifi / fantasy wargames.

At the DM / GM table, I think first time GMs are better than DMs that hate their job, depending on how well they can conceal their feelings from the group. (But I've never seen this happening successful.)
I'd add a tier for "GM's who are impolished but are doing their best." Who I find are quite normal.

We could disagree forevermore on the Pen and Paper tiers.

Good Fanfic Writers can be better than Novelists.
>>
>>46491563
>World of Darkness that low
>D&D over WoD

100% Garbage list.
>>
>D&D over WoD
>>
>D&D
>>
Why are quests and card games in the same line? Apples and oranges, they are two different genres of threads for entirely different players.

And Quests masters, civ players and quest players below CYOA? Have you been to a CYOA thread lately? They literally have no purpose except 'mental exercise' and they are largly smut and monstergirls.

And again, Quests right above Virt? I sense some fa/tg/uys-who-haven't-accepted-that-quests-are-a-mayor-part-of-the-board bullshit right here. It's fine if you don't like them, but if you take a few minutes to look at quests, you can't deny there are a lot of QM's and players who try to be productive, creative and entertaining. And then you haven't even considered the fact that quests are basically traditional RPG's in an online medium, and if you want to dis people who flex their creative muscles through quests, you'll also have to dis those who do so through RPG's.

*drops mic*
>>
>>46491563
>Mtg that high
>Wixoss.. I mean "Obscure Japanese Car Games" that low
>mentioning tripfags
>no tradtional games in the direct sense like Go/Weiqi/Chess/Checkers/Mahjong/Shogi
>First time DM is somehow BETTER than RPG players who participate
END YOURSELF
>>
>>46496365
even worse

>forever GM that hates their job above first time GM's and rpg players who participate.
It's not a job, it's a hobby. If you hate it, don't fucking do it. How about you just ask another player to GM once or find a different game group? Who wants to play with a cunt who doesn't even want to play?

>RPG players that participate on the same level as railroad DM
Jezus, have the people who made this actually played an enjoyable game in their life?
>>
>>46491563

>Drawfags bellow novelists that don't care about lore
>Novelists that don't care about the lore being that high at all
>Chess not listed
>>
>GURPS up top
>>
>No love for FFG.
>>
>>46496335
Yes,

I participate in an evo quest.
It war crazy interesting. And i still wonder what species evolved. Besides this it was not autistic tantrums or much trolling.

And i followed the floor quest, very artistic, online p&p and nearly a book story.

So i can agree that quest is too low and think cardgamers, especially asian are more fanboy than quests.

The list >>46491563 looks more like an evolution chart than a hierarchy or rank list.
>>
>>46491638
The point of the original chart was "considers himself better than"; that was the reason you had many two-way arrows, and was fun becuase there was no attempt at establishing superiority.
You are trying to turn this into a pissing contest. Don't do this.
>>
>>46496672
Floors is even a cut above the rest.
>>
File: grammar.jpg (9 KB, 246x188) Image search: [Google]
grammar.jpg
9 KB, 246x188
>>46493941
> Please give me your suggestions for stuff to include or change.

Kill yourself. It's reEnactors, not reinactors.

Also, kill yourself again: why did you put DnD 4e above 3.X and retroclones? Even 2e should be below either of those. The GURPS at the top is an obvious bait, I take it.

P.S. there is no OSR-thread, nor B/X present
P.P.S. on the second thought - don't put either of those into your chart. It's too retarded
>>
>>46491563
>GURPS better than D&D or PF
>Any version of D&D

Hahaha! God, no. That's insane.

>RIFTS better than FATAL
Tough call there.

>Vampire LARPers better than Historical Wargamers

Holy shit, this chart is retarded beyond the means of Man to measure.
>>
>>46496672
I made /tg/ games it's own branch at the top so that it isn't implied to be much worse than any other type of game
>>46495459
>>46495536
In the first thread I had WoD above D&D and I accepted their input, I'll change it.
>>46494548
I put novelists who don't care for lore below GW staff
>>46496335
I made /tg/ games it's own line so it isn't so far down.
>>46496765
You are 100% correct. I'm spreading the boxes out now so that multiple lines can come from a single source. For D&D in particular, I'm going have almost all the games pointing at them to show that the other games all feel superior to D&D, and D&D feels superior to itself.
>>46496880
thanks for your suggestions.
>>46496602
Should I just put a FFG box or include all the various FFG games? How would you rank them?
>>
>>46491563
Ironclaw 2, the principal furry RPG is a better than average game. It's about 300% less shit than 4e.
>>
>>46498951
Vampire live role players (he forgot to take the action part out) are the lowest tier next to online free form role playing furries.
>>
>>46491563
>/tg/
>Pro MtG players
HAHAHAHA. Also every other card game has better threads then MtG, even if the card games are shit like YGO.
>>
File: tg tier listing.jpg (353 KB, 2152x806) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
353 KB, 2152x806
Here is the next iteration of our ranking, now with multi-directional arrows to show that some things are equal or think imply that both think their are superior.
I made a lot of changes as per your suggestions Except the killing myself suggestions, I'll save that for later but I could use help distinguishing the relationships of games we haven't included yet.
>>46500840
The next one I would like to include online rollplayers next to LARP, but I am not really big on online roleplaying, so I could use advice on differentiating them.
>>46501893
Maybe netdecker would be an appropriate replacement? Since even pros use mostly the same decks?
>>
>>46502960
Quest thinks still they are better than CYOA rightfully so
>>
>>46491563

first time DMs should be above forever DMs
>>
>>46503136
I made that change already
see >>46502960
>>
>>46491563
>literally building a me>you chart
>>
File: me n you.jpg (3 KB, 88x100) Image search: [Google]
me n you.jpg
3 KB, 88x100
>>46503200
It's for scientific purposes.
>>
>>46502960
What happened to Virt? Virt is shit. This should be chronicled officially.
>>
Threads like this and the people who make them are cancer.
>>
File: DOUBT.jpg (58 KB, 700x701) Image search: [Google]
DOUBT.jpg
58 KB, 700x701
>>46502960
I have a few questions.

What if my girlfriend happens to be an RPG player that participates in the story?

What if I am a descriptive worldbuilding game master, and bring my (example above) girlfriend into the game?

And as a small suggestion, I think that players who are constantly on their phone etc. are much worse than power gamers. Power gamers at least may have potential for some role-playing, but those on their phones are just distracting the whole group.
>>
File: tg tier listing.jpg (367 KB, 2152x830) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
367 KB, 2152x830
>>46503397
Someone else didn't like having tripfags like Virt, so I took them out since I figured it wasn't fair to just lump them and questfags together. I think we should include them as an example of the worst type of posters, but I'm not really sure where to put them on the chart anymore. I've worked some of them back in on this version, let me know what you think.
>>46503673
It means individual people are more complex than a single box on a flowchart. You and your girlfriend fall on multiple boxes. She might have the heavy burden of being "The Girlfriend" but if she is also an "RPG Player that participates in the story" that probably makes up for it.
>>
>>46504217
Diplomacy needs to be below Chess, top-tier game right there.
>>
>>46504217
A good answer, OP. I was expecting something much worse.

I've read a lot about horrible experiences that have happened when someone brought their girlfriend to the gaming table, but I've never witnessed or even heard of such in real life. The experiences I've so far had with someone's girlfriend joining the game have all been very positive.

All in all, I am extremely happy that my girlfriend finally gathered her courage to try out role-playing with the bunch of guys I've been playing for ages. D&D 5E has so far proven to be a very beginner friendly rule set.
>>
>tiers
What a shit idea, even with what I like top tier on most of those lists.
>>
>>46504470
Yeah I don't really have any hang ups with significant others wanting to play, they just have to be into it.
I've played with my ex-girlfriend before and other girls that may or may not have been girlfriends and/or fiances. It's weird that people think girls can't be good RPers or are inherently bad at it.
>>46504454
Got it.
>>
File: tg tier listing.jpg (392 KB, 2264x912) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
392 KB, 2264x912
>>
>>46505035
Ate the furry and pony larpers made up terms? because it sure sounds like made up terms.

Anyway Historical reenactors should do a fork into HEMA/HMB and larpers.

Then the HEMA/HMB side can go down like
HEMA/HMB
SCA
Boffer tags

The larp side is a little more problematic depending on how do you want to categorize them
>>
File: tg tier listing.jpg (413 KB, 2264x912) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
413 KB, 2264x912
>>46505529
Furry and Pony LARPs are a thing, but maybe too much of a minority to include. I'll keep them in for now.
>>
>>46507570
HEMA and HMB should be on the same level.
Boffers as a term will be meaningless on it's own. It's either boffertags or battle games.
Or if you want a specific example, Amtgard or Dagorhir.

Furry and pony larps are only larps in a sense that larping is a buzzword nowdays. same with erotic larpers.
If you just want cancerous kind of larpers there are way more common types of them

Also, instead of edgy larpers it should be nordic larpers
>>
File: tg tier listing.jpg (442 KB, 2640x904) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
442 KB, 2640x904
>>46507745
Alright, I've put them on the same level.
I have some friends that are into Belagarth, which seems quite similar to Amtgard and Dagohir.
If you have better suggestions for the types of LARPers and their ranking I would really appreciate your suggestions.
I'll remove the meme LARPers and put in Nords, too.
>>
File: tg tier listing.jpg (459 KB, 2640x904) Image search: [Google]
tg tier listing.jpg
459 KB, 2640x904
>>46509847
Added some more RPGs and wargames
>>
>>46509847
Looking at how it's evolved, I feel like there needs to be a line somewhere showing where you hit cancer-tier.
Feel free to put that as high as you like. The top, if you must.
Otherwise that might take some significant reshuffling.
>>
>>46510754
The Equator of the chart is about where it starts getting really bad. I'm not sure if I'm up to seriously remaking it unless the thread gets a bit more attention. I would like to be able to condense the chart so that it is longer than it is wide, but I don't know how at this point.
>>
are things in different columns but at equal heights equivalent? (i.e. is D&D Basic = Chess > LARPers = First time DM ?)

If so, Drag EVO threads and below down to PTU, and Freeform Roleplay to below coasters
>>
>>46514610
I think my next edit is going to be a big one so it is more vertical than horizontal with more recognizable "zones"
I'll make sure to take your suggestions in the next version.
>>
>>46491638
>so far the idea is the farther down you go on the chart, the more cancerous it becomes.

Then why aren't 40k and 3.X at the very bottom?
>>
>>46515694
Yeah that part is really confusing, what's the deal
>>
The tabletop column is pure memes whereas other parts are fairly accurate. Choose. Memes or accuracy? both in the same graphic is retarded.
>>
>>46509847
SCA and battle games are closer to HMB than to HEMA, so if they are under it that would be better.
HEMA is all about technique and HMB is all about bashing each other if we REALLY simplify things. SCA is bashing each other put with rattan sticks
battle games are the same but with boffers. If you want you can put another level below that, the "ultralight users" because in the US there is this thing that a boffer should be as light as possibly, meaning they are making stuff that's just a few gramms, and "fighting" each other. From an outside perspective it looks really sad...

about the larpers branch.
If we look at the stereotypical "purity" (which may or may not accurate)
at the very top there is a not well known thing called "reenlarpment" that's basically larping but with reenactor tier stuff and the whole story is placed in earths history, etc
under that are nordic larpers, who are artsy as fuck but considered "the best thing ever" by some. It's sure gives some interesting and good results like monitor celestia, but also gives us the gang rape larp.
Anyway under that you can either go with fantasy larpers and postapoc/scifi larpers on the same level
OR if you want to rustle a few jimmies there is this thing that larps are sometimes divided as "Euro larps" and "US larps". US larps are considered inferior.
Below that you can but the vampire larpers because every other larper shits on them. (some would say that even below them are the other forms of White Wolf franchies larpers, but not everyone makes that distinction)
The only thing that could be under vampire larps are "larps in parks" and "university larps". Again, opinions are mixed about it but to most people they are at least as bad as vampire larps, and some would say they are the worst thing to happened to larping ever. (apart from US larps of course)
>>
File: the last smugbender.jpg (36 KB, 579x577) Image search: [Google]
the last smugbender.jpg
36 KB, 579x577
>>46498951
>>GURPS better than D&D or PF
>>Any version of D&D
>Hahaha! God, no. That's insane.
>>
>official
>>
>>46491563
>MTG players
>Above anyone
Even Virt was better.
>>
>>46517712
>trying to greentext
>failing hard

please, learn how to 4chan
>>
>>46510670
CYOAs should not be under quest masters.

Replying to a course of a story picked by players puts them on the same level as GMs of freeform RPGs
CYOAs on the other hand are more like creating a new system for a single player RPG.

Especially with risk civ games, which take absolutely no skill on the part of the game master and very little skill from the players, CYOAs are better by a long shot.

EVO threads are also just freeform RPG with very shitty drawfaggotry, which alays devolve into ugly abominations as retarded players stick random shit to the creatures barely following any rationale.

If you consider that CYOAs like Stardust, SlutLife, MultiDimentionQuest(or whatever it's called these days), and SpaceRefuge have so much thought behind them are so delicately balanced, have at least half a dozen pages and their own expansions, they're almost as good lore books/expansion books for DnD.

That takes skill and dedication.

The day /tg/ puts people like SDA who has developed CYOAS so intricate that one can easily get lost in the imaginary world, and the creator of that 100 page long CYOA (pre-pictures) under some random EVO thread....
that is the day my faith in /tg/ will have been lost forever.
>>
What about when your DM is both a good actor and a railroader?
>>
>>46518941
Then teach him to not railroad. But be nice about it, because you don't want to ruin things.
>>
>>46510670
also,
>dnd 4e
>under dnd5e
I guess you hate customization options and picking your own path, and desperately need very cheap magic spells.

>under 3.5/pathfinder
No never mind, you're simply insane.

>on par with dark heresy
Yeah, completely fucking mental.

>world of darkness went from being on par with RIFTS to the third best thing ever

>weird foreign RPGs is now the god tier best thing in the universe.

i am convinced this is merely a joke at this point.
>>
File: skub.png (5 KB, 458x275) Image search: [Google]
skub.png
5 KB, 458x275
>>
File: arguing.gif (8 KB, 468x200) Image search: [Google]
arguing.gif
8 KB, 468x200
>>46519114
>>
>>46491563
>puts 4e at the same line as 2e and 5e
wow OP you should put yourself on the bottom of your list
>>
>>46510670
No AD&D 1e?
>>
>>46491563

Masturbatory metathreads like this should be at the bottom, anon.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.