[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need drastic help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: BBBBBBB.jpg (121 KB, 640x914) Image search: [Google]
BBBBBBB.jpg
121 KB, 640x914
OK tg, I need your help, your my only hope. I suck really really hard at warhammer 40k and I have no idea how to get better. I've lost every single game I've ever played to my friend and i've only ever once gotten close to tying with him.

This is especially sad because I'm a necron player and he is a chaos/tyranid player. I should be roflstomping with my op army (I don't play them because they're op I play them because I like the theme)

My army compositions usually consists of
-A ghost arc with 10 warriors
-10 warriors
-10 tesla immortals
-an overlord with rez orb
-imotek
-5 lychguard with shields
-ctan nightbringer
-doomscyth/nightscythe depending on how i feel

stuff I change in and out depending
-a triarch stalker
- a spyder with 5 scarabs
- 3 tomb blades
- monolith

my friend usually uses lots of carnifexes with mortars, lots of termagants, flyrants and hormagaunts

and for his chaos he uses typhus, two squads of chaos terminators usually used with power fists. two rhinos, a heldrake, a squad of 8 bikes with mark of nurgle, chaos havoc squads with lascannons, and lots of zombies

The heldrake usually just rampages around destroying all my warriors, the bikes ride up to my ghost ark and punch it to death and there is nothing I can do because I can't kill them. His lascannons usually destroy all my stuff from afar and I can never hold any objectives. HIs terminators deepstrike and rek my immortals and my scarabs and spyder usually die in turn 1 or 2. I can't kill the bikes no matter how much I shoot them (I try to light those fuckers up but nothing works). He's also going to be getting warp talons soon.

I know I need to just get good, and it's hard to describe exactly the strategies that I'm using to you guys so you can accurately pinpoint what I"m doing wrong, but I need some tips.
>>
Wrong board for gittin' gud at 40K.
>>
>>46482759
Then where should I go?
>>
>>46482827
1. If your friend beats you every time, and hasnt tried to help you out himself - he's probably the type of player that cheats.

2. Stop playing with him. Find somewhere to play.
>>
Read up on Sun Tzu, the Art of War. Try playing a game in which you play his army and he plays yours; It might help you as you will see what he does different, also might help you see what your Necron's strengths and weaknesses are when you are trying to kill them yourself.
>>
Fellow Cron player here. Hope you are ready to take notes.

Sounds like both of his armies are mobile. Being a necron player, we are historically one of the slowest armies on the board, but there are a few things we can do about that. Ghost ark is good, but I would also take triarch praetorians if you feel like you need some more speed. Wraiths and Tomb Blades are good as well.

I took a second look at what models you have, and you are off to a good start, but I feel you're lacking some killy units. You will need something strong to be able to take down anything with a high toughness or a good armor save. I like the doomsday ark and praetorians with rods of the covenant. Lastly, it looks like you are running Combined Arms Detachment. This is the weakest way to run Crons. Have you thought about running with a formation (there are numerous). To start off, grab some tomb blades and deploy a Reclamation Legion. gives you all sorts of special rules plus give you +1 to Reanimation Protocols for FREE.

OK SO, here's what I would personally do against his Tyranids: against high toughness, you will want high strength attacks. Heavy Destroyers are excellent at this, but you could also have a unit of lychguard with warscythes or Wraiths go ham on them. As for the Gaunts, fly up your ghost ark with the 10 man squad of warriors. Your AP5 gauss flayers will absolutely slaughter them, as they have 5+ armor. for the Flyrants, there isn't much you can do against things in the air. Could try using your doomscythe to take it down, or just wait until it lands and them blast it with some heavy destroyers.

against the Nurgle space muhreens: this ones is easy. There are a few units that will excel here, but unfortunately you don't have any of them. to take out the termies, the Praetorians are again an excellent choice, as the rod of the covenant is AP2. rhinos are easily taken down and shouldn't be an issue. The heldrake is again an issue seeing as crons don't have any great anti air.
>>
against nurgle continued... there are a few things you can do against the bikes, I would probably counter them with the doomsday ark. one well placed S10 AP1 blast and they are all gone. BOOM. as for the lascannons, you need to tie them up in combat ASAP so they stop shooting. seeing as they are going to usually be in the backfield, I would deepstrike a squad of flayed ones (10-15 should do the trick) and assault them turn 2. The zombies shouldn't be too bad. They walk across the board extremely slow. Shoot them up a few turns to clear out their ranks somewhat and then finish them off with a charge from one of your dedicated assault units.

All in all, you don't have the right tools for the job. Your enemy is using excellent units, and you don't really have anything other than basic troop choices. Don't be caught up in the big glamorous models. The monolith and Ctan are a HUGE points sink and can die way too fast.

Get some tomb blades and two squads of triarch praetorians, go with the reclamation legion and take the judicator battalion formation with some flayed ones on the side.

Keep your head up, chap. And make the Silent King proud.
>>
>>46482611
Spam wraiths and flyers, he will be kill.
>>
>>46485148
Thanks this is actually super helpful. I had previously written off pretorians for some reason but I guess that they're actually something I could really use. And after looking up those formations you talked about I feel stupid for not using them as they are really strong. But this advice seems like it will help big time. Tanks Anon!
>>
>>46484439
I don't really have any other close friends that play. I could go to a local place I know but socailly awkard as fug.

I don't think he's cheating though. He's tried to help me but his advice hasn't been in depth enough to make significant changes in my performance. Plus he's one of the realist niggas I know and I've known him for a while. If he's cheating then I'd be aghast.
>>
He probably doesn't know about your army well enough to give good advice
>>
>>46486213
You're welcome, friend :)
>>
File: Imperium of removal.jpg (196 KB, 1024x735) Image search: [Google]
Imperium of removal.jpg
196 KB, 1024x735
go spooky skeleton army, remove chaos.
>>
>>46484620
>read up on sun tzu, the art of war

How about instead of that read some fucking field manuals on infantry and armor operations and then watch read/watch some actual battle reports for 40k.

That fucking book is obtuse, generic bullshit that anybody with a lick of common sense would figure out.
>>
>>46489474
Not the guy who suggested it but having a nice translation makes the art of war a lot more digestible. If it makes him see his units or tactics in a new light and gets him thinking then it cant hurt. The art of war is primarily about avoiding an open struggle though so its honestly only related in that it talks about a competitive environment.
>>
>>46489474
>>46484620
You're both playing a pretty meh toy soldiers game, not conquering asia or blitzkrieging or whatever.
Your advice is irrelevant and embarrassing.

Reading up on warfare to get better at warhammer is like studying the history of soccer to get better at fifa.
>>
running 2 squads of 15 warriors with 2 ghost arks for support can leave a long lasting presence with a very threatening volume of fire.
>>
bubble wrapping units with scarabs will discourage charges in fear of being held up in the scarabs
>>
>>46482611
Are you using your formations? Chaos and nids can't touch you if you are. Also, wraiths are amazing, get some. 1d4chan is your friend for basic unit synopsis. Necrons slowly advance refusing to die then unleash hell
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.