[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was reading this article yesterday about how if Donald Tru
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7
File: 64499.jpg (415 KB, 1019x1489) Image search: [Google]
64499.jpg
415 KB, 1019x1489
I was reading this article yesterday about how if Donald Trump had just taken his initial $40 million share he inherited from his dad and put it into an index fund instead of becoming a "real estate tycoon", he would have been more wealthy today than he currently is. It got me thinking about something I read in Transhuman Space about how the plutocrats with longevity treatment reached and passed a point where "mere mortals" couldn't catch up with them, because their enormous wealths were earning profit/interest at rates that people who didn't already have a century+ of accruing money.

This seems like it could be a good plot point for a near-future RPG. Not necessarily the BBEG, but some kind of group that's either attempting to change this, or to take advantage of it. Maybe I've just been reading too much Charles Stross fiction about slow dollars, but I thought it could be neat. What do you guys think?

Article in question:
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/2/9248963/donald-trump-index-fund
>>
>>46480522
Only if the hero is capitalism
>>
>>46480522
Holy shit, that cover is so terrible. Hahaha.
>>
File: 1439323739239.jpg (171 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1439323739239.jpg
171 KB, 900x1350
>>46480522

Wouldn't hyperinflation kick in long before that?

Otherwise the elves would have done this centuries ago.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 937x703) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 937x703
>>46480522
>all the hyper-wealthy ancient people are Robert House-tier withered bodies in isolation chambers
>they can only experience the world through shit like pic
I could dig it.
>>
File: friday.jpg (100 KB, 600x1002) Image search: [Google]
friday.jpg
100 KB, 600x1002
>>46480697

It's referencing this cover of Friday, which sort of inspired it because of a small scene where Heinlein for some reason described the main character's nipples going, and this is a direct quote; "Spung!" when they became erect, so Stross started working out what sort of character would have nipples that went "spung!" and came up with artificial humanoid sexbot and built a story around that.
>>
File: Amazing_stories_193804.jpg (58 KB, 390x553) Image search: [Google]
Amazing_stories_193804.jpg
58 KB, 390x553
>>46480813
>not giving them kawaii as fuck jameson bodies
>>
File: medium.jpg (47 KB, 496x469) Image search: [Google]
medium.jpg
47 KB, 496x469
>>46480873

You even have a choice of different model types to choose from!
>>
>>46480522
>I was reading this article yesterday about how if Donald Trump had just taken his initial $40 million share he inherited from his dad and put it into an index fund instead of becoming a "real estate tycoon", he would have been more wealthy today than he currently is
To be honest it's bullshit to look back and say he's an idiot when so many people lost money on the housing market crash.

Maybe you'd be richer investing in a slow growth low risk field, maybe you'd make more money jumping into a bubble then cashing out before it bursts. Unless you're a prophet it's unlikely you can predict boom and bust. All an index fund is is an intentionally safe portfolio.

But yeah, your idea is perfectly plausible, especially if you take it as an extension of the current situation where the majority of wealth is divided between a handful of dynasties and all their subsidiary companies. When you own everything you're too big to fail.
>>
File: screen02.jpg (21 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
screen02.jpg
21 KB, 540x405
>>46480931
>>
>>46480936
>To be honest it's bullshit to look back and say he's an idiot when so many people lost money on the housing market crash.
>Nobody was calling him an idiot
>>
>>46480936
>Unless you're a prophet it's unlikely you can predict boom and bust.
It's easy, dood. Just wait for people to start calling an industry "recession proof," then pull out. :^)
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.