[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just gauging the room here: would you be more or less likely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: dice.jpg (12 KB, 318x158) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
12 KB, 318x158
Just gauging the room here: would you be more or less likely to play a D20 system that had no other polyhedral's?
Or are you one of those people who prefers a fun system over specific elements like types of dice?
>>
>>46478002
GAH i fucking hate people who call their system based on the fucking die size! THE d20 system is a very specific thing, nobody calls World of darkess "d10 system"! Fuck you OP you illiterate cunt

That said, True20 is a d20 system that only uses the one die and it's bretty cool.
>>
Fewer dice types means more MATHMATHMATH to try and get correct odds and result ranges, plus half the fun of this hobby is throwing bug handfuls of silly-shaped plastic
>>
>>46478002
It doesn't matter to me.

There are some perfectly fine systems that only use the d20. Mutants & Mastermind and HeroQuest are two which come to mind. They work perfectly fine at that, although there are times when the size of the d20 seems to be a concern. I'd probably prefer games which use some other single die, like d6 (Shadowrun) or d10 (Eclipse Phase) and can use multiple for good effect.

The benefit of different dice is to easily pick the die for the scale needed, rather than adjusting the scale to fit the die needed. You could easily pick different dice to roll different values in a range, such as dealing damage, while you could need to have bonuses and penalties to the die (and a large HP pool) or something completely different when dealing with a d20.

Also, what >>46478505 says is correct. HeroQuest is not a "d20 System", even if it relies entirely on a single d20 being rolled. M&M could barely be considered a d20 System, if you wanted to stretch the definition. The d20 System is a specific term, based on the OGL that was put out with D&D3e.
>>
I've noticed that systems using several different sizes/kinds/shapes of dice are on that front a little less intuitive for new players. Everything loses pace due to the newbies having to sort out which dice is which, and which is used for what.
>>
>>46478505
I'm going to ignore the cunt statement in favor of a question: How would YOU convey the idea of a system that uses only a D20 to someone who hasn't heard of it before? No point in calling someone a cunt if there's no alternative.
>>
>>46478869

I blame the schools. And the parents.

Geometry, niggas. roll your icosahedron.
>>
File: stop.jpg (355 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
355 KB, 1024x819
>the dice system being used is the most important part of any RPG!
>>
I love lots of die types. Any chance to throw my D5,7,14etc is a good one.

That said single type success based systems are usually my favourite for allowing story over mechanics.
>>
>>46481563
>Thread about your likelihood to play something based on the dice the system uses
>shitposters continue thinking OP is saying it's all about the dice.
It's a fucking poll, you toolbag. No OP, I don't give a shit about the type of dice a system uses or how many (though less at a time is easier for me personally).
>>
>>46478579
>Fewer dice types means more MATHMATHMATH

Imagine for a moment if, say, all the non d20 dice in 5e were replaced by their statistical average rounded up (like with HP rolls).

How does that lead to more math? In fact, it leads to less rolling overall, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>46478002

Dice used to interest me in themselves, but now it's just another meh-tier component of the hobby to lug around.

I prefer d6s because they're widely available. I prefer not to have to have handfuls of them because it's a pain to lug them around. I'll put up with either/both if the system is good enough.

Otherwise, I don't really care.
>>
When I first started playing D&D, all the different dice were part of the charm. I'd never seen dice other than d6s before, so rolling a 12-sided die or a 20-sided die added to the magic.

Now I'm sick of it and I love that systems that mostly (or only) use one die size, particularly d6s. Systems with huge dice pools and different colours can get annoying, but it is refreshing to just pick up the dice and roll, instead of picking out specific ones.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.