[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Standard General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: Image (2).png (120 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).png
120 KB, 223x311
has everyone forgotten how good this card is?
>>
A friend of mine is making a zombie based control deck here what he has so far

Any ideas on what to add
>>
File: dead-weight-.png (251 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
dead-weight-.png
251 KB, 500x500
>>46470860
>>
Are there any decent, budget ways to break into standard? I know there's a set rotation going on this week with SoI, but beyond that I have no idea what to build - I like aggro, and mono red seems to usually be a cheap option, but some of the powerful options are cycling out. And i'd at least like to learn the game more with a deck I can play on a budget instead of dropping a ton of cash at once.
>>
>>46471295
play limited
>>
>>46471366
No stores around play limited, closest one is like an hour drive. Is it just not worth it then, or something?
>>
>>46470828
I played against a guy in the prerelease who had this thing consistently mill all the stuff he needed. It even milled his jace
>>
>>46471388
it ticks your boxes

you can play on a budget
you learn the game more, and get to focus on 1 or 2 sets at a time instead of 5
>>
>>46470828
Has everyone forgotten dragonlord oujitai is still in standard? When has a 3/2 flier for 4 ever been standard playable? The chance of you flipping it is so slim even in a control deck and it dies to a swift breeze.
>>
File: thirsty taro.jpg (19 KB, 444x409) Image search: [Google]
thirsty taro.jpg
19 KB, 444x409
>>46471624
I guess I can try and convince the local store to see if theres any interest in draft, but I doubt i'll get much luck.
>>
>>46470860
That's really interesting. I'm making a U/B control deck for standard but my wincon is reanimating Atarka with Necromantic Summons. If you have the money to burn, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy would be a great addition.
>>
File: 409769.full.png (95 KB, 200x279) Image search: [Google]
409769.full.png
95 KB, 200x279
>>46471667
>The chance of you flipping it is so slim

I've got you covered m8
>>
I finally find the thread!

So, I am a new player to MtG. Went to the prerelease and grabbed a bunch of cards - and did fairly well for my first time, too! I double checked on my cards, and turns out, the best thing I can possibly start building with what I have is a vampire deck.

I have the following cards (1 of each unless noted):

>Insolent neonate
>Olivia, mobilized for war
>Indulgent aristocrat
>Olivia's bloodsworn (x2)
>Stromkirk mentor
>Vampire noble
>Mad prophet
>Tormenting voice
>Macabre waltz

I got this much from the prerelease, suggesting I should actually make a vampire deck.

So, where do I start, given I don't want to spend too much on a deck? I want to go budget until I start getting better cards and a better wallet, and I don't want to have my ass handed to me at every tournament.

Help?
>>
should I feel like a sucker for buying into the cryptolith rite hype? I bought my playset, (didn't pay above the current rate, only around 3.25) and I dunno, feelin' pretty iffy on the card, but I might just build a bunch of shit decks around it. I guess I'll have to wait and see on how this card preforms. What do you guys think? Do you think it's going to end up being another bulk rare, or maybe just end up in a bunch of commander decks?
>>
>>46471981
you basically need to splurge and buy 4 of all the rare and mythic rare vampires to make the deck playable. Heir of Falkenrath, Olivia's Bloodsworn, Ravenous Bloodseeker, Incorrigible Youths, Fiery Temper, Lava Axe, and Indulgent Aristocrat are all commons/uncommons and should be easy to find enough copies for pretty cheap, but you'll really want 4 Falkenrath Gorger and 3-4 Olivia, Mobilized for War, and some number of Asylum Visitor, and those cards are not likely going to be cheap if the deck sees any tournament success.
>>
>>46472249
Ugh, is that so? What do you suggest me to keep my costs low for now?
>>
File: image.png (123 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
image.png
123 KB, 223x311
Brewing around this. Thinking of loam-like tactics of adding lands to hand to feed this thing.

I've seen some cool cards for the potatoes of the deck, the meat being this and Groundskeeper.
Any gravy for this tasty pile?
Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>>46472288
Just max out on the strong uncommons. You can probably go a bit more midrange-ish by adding duress and a lot of removal (ultimate price, lightning axe, roast) and use Elusive Tormentor, currently a bulk rare but I suspect it is to be a key card in matchups where your opponent has more removal than you have creatures.

Call the bloodline and Sinister Concoction are some more good madness enablers, and you can basically jam any vampire that says madness on it and it has a decent shot of being ok.

You'll also need to buy the new dual lands, and maybe a few of the BFZ ones. At least they're not fetchlands.
>>
>>46472382
Molten Votex + Gitrog jund midrange?
>>
>>46472449
So... a full playset of all strong uncommons (maybe some commons too?), Duress, Ultimate Price, Lightning Axe, Roast, Elusive Tormentor, Call the Bloodline and Sinister Concoction, gotcha. I have two dual lands, I could try trading them on for the RB ones I need, and I can maybe buy or trade an extra Olivia so I can have at least 2 of them.

Then... I focus on madness?
>>
>>46472469
>>46472382
I was on the fence about him, means an extra color but I think with some "search for basic land" green spells it would be an easy splash, and he seems pretty strong and fits the decks theme.
Thanks!
>>
>>46472574
Yeah I think overall the power of the deck lies in getting value from madness, using it to do stuff at instant speed and basically playing lightning bolt (fiery temper).
>>
>>46473003
I think I have a Fiery Temper, and probably someone can help me stock on the strong uncommons. Thank you!
>>
>>46472382
Elemental Uprising would be super lolsy

Stoic Builders are essential too, also that card you posted would do good with crawling sensation
>>
>>46472288
Playing limited or kitchen table. Card games are not cheap. The suggestions the other anon had will fill out a deck to take to an fnm, but once the meta settles post release taking a budget version of a real deck to an fnm is a sure way to lose all night.
>>
>>46472249
Im working on the same kind of deck right now.. dont be a cheap ass though, you could really benefit from FOUR Markov Dreadknights, also no heir of Falkenraths ?? major L bro.... also murderers axe u know u know
>>
it was really fun to play in limited
>>
>>46472288
pay the price or move on noob
>>
>>46473133
I don't intend to play competitively for a time until I am totally, completely certain I can tackle a FNM or a bigger tournament. I pretend to go casual. Sadly, kitchen table is not a possibility because I know no one, and limited instances are... well, limited.

>>46473184
Your elitism is super duper epic bro
>>
>>46473178
yea its a lot of fun, its nice to be able to give shitty cards use (looking at you, explosive apparatus)
>>
>>46473206
ok im just being mean because im lonely but my best advice to you is look into investing into MTGO, you can basically play whenever and it will greatly increase your magic playing abilities... they have drafts frequently
>>
>>46473242
MTGO is a pretty good idea for pure limited experience. The interface isn't pretty but it's functional and the community is very active. The main drawback however is that real life drafting helps you build up a collection for real life play.
>>
>>46471295
Vampires is like $110 and can go down to $40 if you drop Drana (for Zurgo), Olivia (for Alms of the Vein) and either Marsh or Ruins, making it madness aggro instead of tribal crap.
>>
>>46473282
Well, sure.. but I still think its a good introduction to drafting atleast, its where I got started and I went 3-1-1 at the prerelease (my first IRL magic event), all in all it makes you a better player, especially because all of the phases and rules are mechanized, so you have no choice but to actually learn how the game works
>>
>>46473398
stop suggesting shit thats about to cycle out... come on man
>>
>>46473401
Oh yeah, i meant my comment to agree with the comment i was responding to. I play drafts on mtgo as well and find it very helpful.
>>
>>46473428
lets have a modern duel right now, whats your username?
>>
What the hell why is thing in the ice at 7€ ?
>>
>>46473447
I don't have a modern deck, sorry. I use mtgo for drafts and pauper. Nor am I too keen on giving out my username on 4chan.
>>
>>46473463
People are still expecting it to make waves somewhere.
>>
>>46470860
compelling deterance, turn a skulking skabb into a duress isnt so bad
>>
>>46473398
Isn't Zurgo is about to phase out?
>>
>>46473568
Biff is gonna be around until dragons rotates in September.
>>
>>46473597
Oh, bellstriker, makes sense. r/b vampires does sound interesting, but I do wonder how viable it'd actually be. my budget is like... $150 for a deck, so $110 is in that range.
>>
>>46473642
I've personally seen varying reports of its viability. If you're really iffy and want to be Absolutley certain waiting for a few weeks (but before the next pt) to let it get tested out may be best. But more waiting also potentially means a higher cost as the cards become more sought after.
>>
File: unable.jpg (70 KB, 452x573) Image search: [Google]
unable.jpg
70 KB, 452x573
>>46473683
I'm guessing it's something like this?

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-deck-to-beat-post-rotation-blackred-vampires/

I guess i'll wait a bit. as it was I wasn't gonna look into seriously deck building until a week or two from now to see where things fall, but the area i'm at is really limited on events. It's just standard or modern, really.
>>
>>46473716
Looks pretty alright to me, but I can't say I have a particulalry good eye for aggro decks, I'm more of a control player myself.
>>
File: 1459439785452.gif (3 MB, 1530x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459439785452.gif
3 MB, 1530x1080
>>46473946
Thanks for the help in any case. I guess i'll mull over it and see how things swing in the coming month.
>>
So is grixis tezzerator ft pia and kiran going to be a thing?
>>
What kind of deck does Nahiri fit in the best?

A R/W control deck with red madness spells or more equipment based R/W deck?
>>
File: gchess.gif (121 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
gchess.gif
121 KB, 1600x1200
I'm making a standard vamp deck.
Some SOI vamps to boost the Zendikar vamps
>>
>>46474073
wtf
>>
>>46474073

Naya or Jund colours. Yes she fits best in a three colour deck that has access to no fetchlands anymore. RW is generally an aggro colour combination and the best cards for madness and/or delirium are in either B or G outside of the the colours Nahiri is already in respectively.
>>
File: Zfsmi5q[1].jpg (55 KB, 446x311) Image search: [Google]
Zfsmi5q[1].jpg
55 KB, 446x311
>>
>>46475061
Why not just use eldrazi displacer for your etb chaining shenanigans? Do you really expect to have a big board of duders with neat etbs? This also only lets your flicker once a turn.
>>
Went to 4 prereleases this past weekend. After a bit of trading, walked away with Sorin, 2 Jace Unraveler of Secrets, 2 Chandra Flamecallers, and an Arlinn Kord.

My monogreen hardened scales deck is rotating out so I need to build from scratch. I'd like to use those Jaces and Chandras, but I don't know any good decks.

What should I build?
>>
>>46475630
Anon, i don't think there will be a deck with chandra and jace in it. Chandra does see play in jund lists popping up, and pretty much every other red deck expecting to go late.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (12 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
12 KB, 190x265
I'm looking forward to a R/G werewolves building around this chap.
>>
>>46475887
And i can't wait to see it happen, because i really don't see that card taking off.
>>
>>46475887
Splash white for Eerie Interlude.
>Any number of target creatures
Also white for Avacyn. Avacyn is the Thragtusk of standard now. Playing white? Run her. Not playing white? Splash white for her.
>>
>>46476194
Why would run a card that blows up all of the tokens you just made?
>>
>>46476316
>In response to her flip trigger I'll flash in another Avacyn
>Different name to the flipped one so they both survive
>Eerie Interlude gives you bounce options
>>
>>46476123
Get zada out with 2 other wolf's/werewolves and start casting. Titan strength makes 3 tokens, brute strength to give you another 6, expedite to give them haste and make another 12 tokens
>>
>>46471295
The only competetive mono red build is going to be mono red eldrazi and typically that can go to like 250 or so due to chandra's being expensive right now. I assume Westvale abbeys are going to hit around 20 as well.
>>
File: shitbrew.jpg (252 KB, 1008x630) Image search: [Google]
shitbrew.jpg
252 KB, 1008x630
WHO /shitbrew/ HERE
>>
>2016
>still playing well meme'dard
Yes good goyim, keep spending precious sheckels for new decks with shit power level all the time
>>
>>46476812
Oh stop that
>>
>>46476834
>he doesn't realize that all the money he spent into low value shitdard decks could have gone into eternal master race
>>
>>46476346

Eerie interlude still kills your tokens. Exiled tokens cease to exist.
>>
>>46476886
Damn, or maybe instead of being limited to one format some of us just so happen to have decks for both eternal and standard? Or are you just poor?
>>
>>46476346
Still kills your tokens, senpai.
>>
>>46476767
That seems like it'd need an awful lot of mana
>>
>>46472382
Play that turn 1 against Jace decks and watch them fucking CRY.
>>
>>46476886
>He doesn't realize that people are laughing at him for spending hundreds of dollars on a piece of paper.
>He doesn't realize that winning with a hundred dollar card isn't a noteworthy achievement.

eternal players...
>>
>>46473411
Dragons of Tarkir and Origins aren't rotating until the set after Shadows. Which we don't know the name of yet.
>>
>>46477480
>>46476886
>being an elitist faggot who hates on formats

Anyway, I'll see you at the draft on Friday.
We can test Standard before it kicks off, and afterwards go get drunk and play Commander and Canadian Highlander.
>>
>>46477493
>Opponent Eerie Interludes his board for massive ETB shenanigas.

>Thats cool and everything, let me spend 2 mana to cast this Hallowed Moonlight and draw a card dude

>Opponent Scoops in response

Hallowed Moonlight is going to destroy these ETB decks so fucking hard.
>>
>>46476194
You can't splash white doublecasters post rotation, the mana simply isn't that good when fetchlands are gone.
>>
>>46476992
Anon, please read cards before you embarrass yourself. You don't exile your tokens with the interlude, just the non-token wolves/werewolves
>>
>>46473206

Don't shy away from FNM too much, it's a great way to gain experience and see other decks in action.

Just make sure the store gives a pity pack.
>>
Think Olivia is going to climb, drop or maintain?

Same question with the 2/1 for R.
>>
>>46477928

Then the tokens still die to avacyn's boardwipe, unless you buff them, in which case, why the fuck didnt you buff everything.
>>
File: aristocrats.png (20 KB, 663x280) Image search: [Google]
aristocrats.png
20 KB, 663x280
>>46476767

Shitty brew, or shittiest of brews?
>>
>>46471680
List? Sounds interesting
>>
So I tried salvaging my GUR burns.
How did I do?
http://deckstats.net/decks/40652/460486-gurns-soi-edition/en
>>
>>46473495
7 euro is incredibly LOW for the card that's hitting 20+ in the states. It's going in everything.
>>
So if I want to start playing do I just buy a box of the latest set or what?
>>
>>46479192
Find a list online and buy singles if you want to play competitively, buy a box if you want to play with friends
>>
>>46479192
>do I just buy a box of the latest set
No, unless you really love cracking packs. 95% of stuff in fat packs and boxes is garbage. Either buy singles or go to a draft to learn how to build and play
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/call-the-bloodline-mono-b-tokens/

I really liked Call the Bloodline even if it is a worse Bitterblossom, but I'm also worried I'm gonna end up with a heaping pile of janky shit. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 1459302412587.jpg (28 KB, 543x395) Image search: [Google]
1459302412587.jpg
28 KB, 543x395
>>46479255
>unless you really love cracking packs.
I do
Is there any other option than "fat packs" or singles? Maybe a set or item designed for new players?
>>
>>46479454
Do limited in that case, at least you'll come out of the draft with a deck, even if it's really crappy. You can't say the same if you just bought 3 loose packs
>>
I somehow managed to get most of the things I needed for my deck during the prereleases

It has been really fun so far
>>
>>46479546
>Drafting decks then immediately doing tournies with said cards
Woah buddy way too advanced for me, I guess I can just look around at what products look interesting in the store
>>
>>46479727
You're making it sound harder than it is.
>Do some drafts
>Get product
>Start learning strategy
>Start figuring out what you like playing
>Add enough cards to make it constructed legal
>>
>>46479847
Well that makes sense, guess I should check when they do drafts then
Even if they dont do drafts today still want to go see their product though
>>
>>46476123
It might in Modern seeing how Moonmist is a thing.

Transforming your werewolves at the same time you put a bunch of Wolf tokens o the field seems good enough for a memedeck. Not a particularly good one but still.

In Standard there's Pack Guardian and Second Harvest, which both work well with Silverfur, but the deck needs some sort of combat trick that targets all your creatures to really exploit Silverfur.
>>
>>46479882
>You turn in the rares at the end of the draft to the top winners
That kind of sounds like bullshit
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 312x445
>>46475887
>>46476194
Honestly I'd rather run pic relayed to Avacyn. Its cheaper, fulfills creature protection role without also endangering them and also triggers Silverfur's ability for every creature you have.

Eerie Interlude is no good because it'll destroy the Wolf tokens, though they would be replaced due to Silverfur's effect. Regrettably those would still get destroyed in the face of a boardwipe.
>>
>>46476668
is westvale abbey really that good?
>>
>>46480010

>and also triggers Silverfur's ability for every creature you have.

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>46479937
Not even rare redraft? Just flat out "you didn't place high enough, cough 'em up"?

Also, on-topic: Ever After Dragons.

4 Dragonlord Kolaghan
4 Boltwing Marauder
4 Thunderbreak Regent

4 Sin Prodder
4 Dragonlord's Servant
4 Insolent Neonate

3 Ever After
4 Lightning Axe
3 Ultimate Price

4 Foreboding Ruins
4 Cinder Barrens
4 Smoldering Marsh
7 Swamp
7 Mountain

SB: 4 Radiant Flames
SB: 4 Avacyn's Judgment

Not sure what else to SB, wanna keep it relatively budget. Obviously Olivia > Sin Prodder.

Do I go Jund for Atarka and stuff?
>>
>>46479642
If you're deck is token heavy why do you have avacyn? won't she just take away all your tokens?
>>
>>46480187
>At the end, all rares are turned in and drafted out based off of standings. All commons and uncommons are kept by the draftee.
I mean maybe I could get a couple but I would probably be bottom of the ladder considering I dont know how to play
>>
>>46480205
with a combination of nissa pumping them up and Gideon emblems they can usually live through it, also she has just been so strong that I want to leave her in

Also I pulled a foil one so I have to play it
>>
File: chrome_2016-04-05_10-39-40.png (241 KB, 397x267) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-04-05_10-39-40.png
241 KB, 397x267
>>46471295
A dude showed me a wolf token brew he was working on with Silverfur and Zada. Reminds me of prowess decks a while back with all the cantrips but instead the focus is to go wide.
>>
>>46480010
Are you fucking dumb?
>>46476346
And you as well?

Holy crap.
>>
>>46478283
OR

and I'm just spitballing here

OR

you exile Avacyn, she returns front-faced and gives your tokens indestructibility
>>
>>46480236
That's a pretty shit system. At my local everyone notes down the rares on the packs they opened and get them back later even if they didn't draft them. Honestly think this is the best system.

The way you described is just unfair to lesser skilled players.

And systems where you keep what you drafted encourage gimping your deck just to snag a rare.
>>
>>46480268
I know that feel. Pulled a foil Nahiri. Sure she's not the most powerful planes walker but i just feel a need to play her.
>>
File: 1459732180083.png (145 KB, 381x423) Image search: [Google]
1459732180083.png
145 KB, 381x423
Could someone please give me some help? I just want to make a fun clue deck for casual play/ maybe locals but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to deckbuilding

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/clue-deck-needs-help/
>>
>>46480205
Because Avacyn is so powerful, it doesn't matter that she might kill your tokens, you run her anyways.
>>
>>46476194

If you're going to bother going white for Avacyn may as well just run Eldrazi Displacer. It's a two card combo that can be a one sided board wipe there with those two cards.
>>
>>46481327
I like it a lot, but it seems a bit slow. Since you are producing so many thopter/human soldier tokens why don't you add Cryptolith Rite / Second Harvest. It could work well if you add Baby Jace, which would allow you to do all sorts of cool shit, like casting Second Harvest and then recast it from the graveyard tapping your creatures for x4 the tokens. That could make for a good alt. Wincon and would allow you to easily ramp up to Ulamog / Kozilek if for whatever reason Briarbridge Patrol isn't an option.

Also Second Harvest works incredibly well with clues, since it multiplies them exponentially while giving you the mana dorks necessary to crack them and get some gas into your hand.
>>
>>46481660
>Baby Jace
I forgot to mention that I'm poor as fuck

Also second harvest just seems like it would be even slower wouldn't it? I'm not sure

Thanks for the help
>>
>>46480921

Avacyn flips on next upkeep. Eerie Interlude returns on next endstep. Lets say Avacyn flips, you flicker her and all your nontokens in response to her damage. The damage gets dealt to everything left on the board. Everything dies. Then all your shit comes back with indestructibility. Everything not flickered dies because Eerie Interlude is not Eldrazi Displacer. Sure, its cast at instant speed, but it doesn't return shit instantaneously. So in this case, it would help if you actually read the goddamn cards.

Plus, I could be wrong on this, but flickering Avacyn in response to her flipping would actually flicker her before she flips and damage is done.

Either way, you're a fucking idiot who belongs back on leddit or wherever the fuck you came from.
>>
>>46481859
>in response to her flipping
I assume you mean in response to the trigger that would flip her? You can easily respond to the trigger that flips her to prevent damage, or you could respond the the trigger that deals damage and have all your dudes you want saved from Avacyn's damage saved while still hitting your opponent's dudes for 3.
>>
>>46481859
I didn't say anything about Eerie Interlude, guy. I just said to flicker Avacyn. It works like this
>Creature dies
>Avacyn Flips
>Triggered damage ability goes on the stack
>Flicker Avacyn
>She returns face-up
>Indestructibility goes on the stack
>Resolve Indestructibility
>Resolve damage ability
>>
>>46481761
Second Harvest might seem slow, but its a feasible T3 play if you run Cryptolith Rite. Though you probably want to cast it later, since you won't have too many tokens at that point.

The good thing about Cryptolith Rite is that it helps you cast 2UU and 2GG spells, making your manabase more consistent at the same time it helps you cast several spells a turn and cast costly spells early on and then comes to have a massive impact on the board granting absurds amounts of mana to ramp up to Kozi, sac clues and cast spells, swarming the opponent to death – there are a lot of possibilities.

As for Jace, well, he helps you a lot early, cycles expensive lategame stuff like Second Harvest while allowing you to hold out better with his +1 and giving flashback to the Second Harvest in your graveyard or any other instants / sorceries.

His ultimate is also relevant in this deck, since the Cryptolith Rite / Clues & Tokens / Second Harvest nets you so many mana to dig through your deck and cast as many spells as you want milling your opponent to death is a real possibility that could work as a tertiary wincon, if the conditions happen to be right.

Also proxy it up. I use proxies outta my printer and no one gives a damn at my lgs because they know they are trial decks.
>>
What do you think will be the most common deck?

I'm leaning towards Red/Black Vampires. It nearly builds itself.
>>
>>46481761
Oh, also consider how well Cryptolith Rite works with Altered Ego.

There's nothing better than having a guy slam down Avacyn and the likes and then playing Altered Ego for a much bigger version of it. It constitutes a total midgame blowout that completely changes the boardstate to your favor.
>>
>>46481327
I recommend you add Ongoing Investigation. Fits like a glove on an aggro / swarm deck like this and gives you extra longevity. Also it would tie in nicely wit this >>46481660
>>
>>46482135
>>46482298
So what do I take out? I was already struggling to remove things as it is
>>
>>46470860
Until there's a good one drop zombie, I don't think a tribal deck is going anywhere
>>
>>46475630
some kinda midrangey UR deck is what ive been trying to brew with those
>>
>>46478295
why not 4x hangarback?
>>
>>46482202
>RB Vampires
It's definitely going to be a common shell, but it's also going to vary quite a bit. There are options for aggro (most obviously) but also tempo and various degrees of midrange. I think the midrange shell is going to come out as the "best" RB deck, but we'll see.
>>
>>46482335
I dunno right now, but I will go over your list and make my own version of it. Personally I'd start removing the bounce for Cryptolith Rite, removing both Ulamog and Kozi for two Worldbreakers, cut Graf Mole and two Briarbridge Patrol for two adittional Altered Egos and two Second Harvest.

Cutting Briarbridge Patrol might seem counterintuitive, but with Cryptolith Rite you are already able to feasibly cast Worldbreaker T4, the time she'd be coming down anyways and the ability to cast Altered Ego T4 and onwards to completely BTFO memerange decks is so much better than two copies of Briarbridge.
>>
>>46475832
>>46475630

Possibly a UR Mill of some variety? Chandra's 0 could be devastating with a few Tutelages out.
>>
>>46476346
>implying you'll just have all of the avacyns you'll ever need
>implying exiling your tokens won't destroy them if the have indestructible

Nigga, c'mon
>>
>>46482911
alright thanks senpai
>>
>>46476575
I'll believe it when i see it put up results.
>>
>>46477471
Idk senpai, i think I'd be okay with you paying a mana and discarding a land turn 2 to blow up my jace.
>>
>>46482926
>actually wanting to build mill

Not even once, senpai
>>
>>46483013
No, thank YOU for my new Standard deck.
>>
>>46478708
Please respond ;_;
>>
File: ss (2016-02-07 at 11.16.33).jpg (19 KB, 202x249) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-07 at 11.16.33).jpg
19 KB, 202x249
>>46483368
>>
>>46482001

Considering the entire argument was about eerie interlude and my initial response was referring to eerie interlude, I'd say you better have been talking about eerie interlude or you best calm your tits and actually fucking read
>>
>>46481991

Ok, thats what I was unsure of, thanks anon.
>>
>>46478530
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ub-standard-reanimator/
Michael Majors has a series of vids on it on starcity, but that was before the full spoiler. Important to note that you can reanimate your opponent's stuff too
>>
>>46482702

For room, and because the original deck for this only had 3 to begin with. Ive never had a problem pulling one by turn 3. It was a consideration, but all the other token spam creatures do just fine. It just sucks that my entire LGS pretty much solely runs whatevers popular on the PT. Only ever met two guys running nonPT decks. One was running a surprisingly fast UBR eldrazi tribal, and the other abusing fetches and the green and white retreats. Stomped the first guy by going wide, got stomped by the second as he managed to outwide me
>>
All right I just ended up buying a dragons of tarkir intro deck, a deckbox, and 2 boosters for shits
I guess ill go back friday and buy an intro from the new set as well
>>
>>46483211

While Delirium will be a constant threat, the format is slowing down and most decks will just be two colors instead of four.
>>
>>46484326
Intro decks are a fine place to learn the game, but please don't go into them thinking you're getting competitively playable cards.
>>
>>46484555
I meant because mill is the single most boring deck concept ever.
>>
>>46484570
I played yugioh so I know how these starter/intro decks are just meant for casual play
just needed somewhere to start
>>
>>46484616

Sphinx's Tutelage is pretty exciting, especially if you stack a few Tutelage's or draw multiple cards at once... or both.
>>
I'll never understand the people who complain about mtg card and deck prices

Like you can't afford to spend a couple hundred dollars for something with many hours of play value?

There's no shame in being too poor to play mtg, just get your fucking priorities straight, if spending $300 is too much for your hobbie, then you shouldn't be trying to get into a hobbie at all, hobbies are for people with time and money to waste

If you're poor you should be spending all your time on work and/or money saving do-it-yourself projects and whatever relaxation time you need to handle that can surely be filled with cheaper entertainment like television and music etc

Honestly if you're that poor you shouldn't even have time to play magic, I barely do and I have a normal job and reasonable finances
>>
>>46484704
Can't say I've ever been excited for a mill effect that wasn't be used for a secondary purpose like buffing a goyf or activating delirium.

The idea of winning through mill is boring to me, even more boring than linear aggro decks.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grixis-spellspam

rate my grixis spam deck
>>
>>46484665

If you're going with the SOI intro packs, the BG one has some decent cards for getting started with a janky mono green landfall/delirium deck. Specifically that delicious alt art Soul Swallower. You could probably jam red instead of black into it to make it a much more viable deck with some nice burn spells.
>>
>>46484794
Yeah I was thinking of getting a different color for the SOI intro pack, so I would have some different colors to mess around with and see which one is my favorite
>>
>>46484743
I guess you can get a decent deck even if your budget is 50€/month.

Also, you could also just play drafts
>>
>>46484764

>winning through mill is boring

It's really flavorful and fun actually, stop disliking things, it's a stupid thing to do, serves no good purpose
>>
>>46484985
Do you realize how much of a faggot you sound like?

>Waaaah stop disliking things I like you're hurting my feefees, you must validate all of my choices!

I didn't even tell you not to play the deck you, all I said was I found it boring.
>>
>>46471295
Vampire aggro is dirt cheep and incredibly strong. list is 35 bucks. Counters all other aggro decks, and can race any deck not running Kalitas. Been testing since spoilers were fully released, here's the boiled down list.

4 Thornbow Archer
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Ravenous Bloodseeker
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Olivia's Bloodsworn
3 Incorrigible Youths

4 Fiery Temper
4 Titan's Strength

4 Alms of the Vein
4 Exquisite Firecraft

4 Foreboding Ruins
2 Smoldering Marsh
8 Mountain
7 Swamp

>>46473398
Bruh, Oliva and drana are dogshit for vampires. They're slow 3 drops that do nothing when they drop.
>>
>>46483013
Did you ever get a chance to go through it?
>>
>>46478248
Drop. Drop. Both are only good in the midrange vampire varient (which is shit, getting outclassed by all aggro decks and all midrange decks) and terrabad in the aggro varient.
>>
>>46482417
There are good 1 drop zambies, they just aren't in standard.
>>
>>46485671
>Talking about cards that aren't in standard in a standard thread
>>
I'm trying to get into MtG but don't have a local game store that's regularly accessible

Is MtG Online a realistic option. Or will I just get BTFO every time and get discouraged?

I was thinking since there's a new set coming out now I would just focus on that for now and play Shadows Over Innistrad Sealed and Draft tournaments exclusively get a good understanding of it. That way after a few sets I'll have a large enough knowledge base to more smoothly transition into Standard Constructed events.

What do you gents think? Is this a good way to start or should I just jump in the deep end, puke out a random decklist, take the beatings and try to learn from them?
>>
>>46485820
Play on cockatrice. It's free.
>>
File: Selection_068.jpg (529 KB, 1403x854) Image search: [Google]
Selection_068.jpg
529 KB, 1403x854
Should I go ahead and buy this? It's weirdly fun.
>>
>>46485351
What's the more expanded list, or what other cards do you feel are essential for it? That does seem like a solid if kind of janky list.
>>
>>46485820
If you want to get into limited and don't mind paying for digital cards mtgo is a great option. As for getting btfo, probably, you're new others aren't, you'll lose money learning and probably after you've learned too, just how it goes.
>>
>>46472578
the green spells that search for lands and evolving wilds are all pretty good to go into a third colour, and they have the added benefit of directly helping both Gitrog and molten vortex.

I would say it is totally worth it for him.
>>
>>46484793
Land (21)

2x Choked Estuary
2x Cinder Barrens
2x Foreboding Ruins
5x Island
2x Mountain
3x Shivan Reef
5x Swamp

Sorcery (12)

2x Bone Splinters
2x Exquisite Firecraft
3x Macabre Waltz
1x Rise from the Tides
2x Shamble Back
2x Transgress the Mind

Enchantment (4)

2x Infernal Scarring
2x Mirror Mockery

Instant (11)

2x Corpse Churn
3x Titan's Strength
4x Touch of Moonglove
2x Turn to Frog

Creature (12)

3x Abbot of Keral Keep
2x Asylum Visitor
4x Faerie Miscreant
3x Thing in the Ice
>>
>>46475088
>>46475061
Esper with reflector mage, these two, eldrazi displacer etc.. could be pretty rad.
>>
>>46485885
what the fuck is supposed to happen here
>>
>>46483641
wow, if there is someone whose tits need calming it is certainly you, friend.
>>
>>46486033
Just RW goodstuff.
>>
>>46485899
Due to the nature of the build (being aggro af), I don't realllly have a solid sideboard for the deck, but what I do have is pretty much just hard meta checks (aka, i dont have one cause I don't know meta at my lgs yet, it currently consists of general utility cards). All the cards I run are pretty much essential in their own way. This is just as much a burn deck as an aggro deck, so we're just pushing damage, all the cards I chose, I chose because they're fucking good at pushing damage.

I've tried Falkenrath Gorger, Olivia, Gisa's Bidding, and Drana, but they're really just flat out not agressive enough.

Core of the deck is the Bloodseekers, Heirs, Alms, Temper, and Firecraft. You drop a discard engine turn 2, then on turn 3, you swing, trigger madness, then bolt their defense or their face, if you're against control or midrange and they haven't stabilized by your fourth combat step, you win the game. We have so much reach between 12 direct to the face spells, 4 creature pumps, and 8 fliers that around 10 life is well within kill range for us, even if they stablize. Olivia's Bloodsworn does incredible work as post board cleanup crew.

if you REALLLLLY wanted to, you could replace the Neonate's with something else, but from my testing, the Archers and Neonates are the best 1 drops in this deck. Neonate has proven absurdly valuable as an aggro card due to menace, and defensivly against Kalitas (hardest card to deal with for us) as a chump sac blocker to give us another card, trigger madness, and prevent the lifegain.
>>
>>46485869
What's the level of competition like on Cockatrice?
The barrier of entry is lower, but on the other hand the fact that it's cheaper means players potentially get more practice.

>>46485904
I don't really mind paying for shit up to a point.
I've read that playing a lot of limited the cost adds up fairly quickly.
If I'm getting thrashed in every event I play then it's an expensive learning process right?
>>
Another great set comes along and I don't have the means to play, it's been a sad 2 years.
>>
>>46486441
Depends. It's usually fairly high, due to it being pretty niche and having access to all the cards.
>>
>>46486441
I really don't suggest Cockatrice to learn how to play the game, people on there have a lot of misunderstandings and they could give you the wrong idea. It's fine if you're confident with the rules though and don't mind having to occasionally drop a game because a shitter doesn't understand the stack.

And yeah if you lose a lot limited can really add up, especially if you play a bunch, but if you play one or two ever every few days it won't get out of hand, at least imo for a hobby.
>>
>>46484743
>$300
Top standard decks are more like $700-800 these days. And they're constantly rotating now.
>>
>>46486246
That deck has so many nonbos it hurts my eyes.
>>
>>46470828
Pretty bad IMO. 3/2 for a 4 mana guy is weak even though 5/4 flyer for 4 is pretty good. The new delver is Skin invasion. A 3/4 for R that need only be slapped on an opponent's creature and blocked to kill it.
>>
R8 my GB Delirium M8.

Creatures:
4x Mindwrack Demon
4x Hangarback Walker
4x Deathmist Raptor
3x Den Protector
1x Kalitas
1x The Gitgud Monster

Spells:
4x Traverse the Ulvenwald
4x Gather the Pack
3x Dead Weight
3x Grasp of Darkness
3x To the Slaughter
2x Ob Nixilis, Reignited

Lands:
4x Hissing Quagmire
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Evolving Wilds
7x Forest
5x Swamp
>>
>>46488434

>no Soul Swallower

You're missing the most fun thing to abuse delirium with
>>
Why is everyone saying the new Avacyn is super powerful? What am i missing, she is a 5 drop with a decent flip ability, however it is a one and done for the most part.
>>
>>46488835
That card dies to every piece of removal and can't even block well for a turn. It is also a 4 mana 3/3 if you don't have delirium, while mindwrack demon can get you there all on his own. And even if he doesn't all that happens you eat 4, you still get a 4/5 flying trample for 4. I think it's one of the many delirium trap cards along with moldgraf scavenger and inexorable ooze.
>>
>>46489008

Flickering will flip her back over, and theres enough white flicker to make it viable
>>
>>46489008
a 6/5 flyer that destroys all creatures less than 4 toughness and burns your opponent for 3 when it enters the battlefield is more than decent
>>
>>46489008
it's a few things. a 5 mana 4/4 flying flash vigilance is probably not going to see play in standard, but it's a very good baseline for the rest of the stuff she does. a 5 mana 4/4 flying flash vigilance that is also a combat trick that gives your whole team indestructible, including herself, is extremely strong. it is so strong in combat that whether your opponent is considering their attacks or considering blocking your stuff while you have 5 mana open just the fact that avacyn is in your DECK will force them to play suboptimally* even if she isn't in your hand because of how big of a blowout she is in combat. if you have no creatures at all, she's still not bad just because she is a flash indestructible 4/4 flying blocker - if you literally have no board but pass with 5 mana up your opponent may not attack into the potential avacyn. if your opponent is playing some kind of beatdown deck or otherwise is in a position where they have to kill you, avacyn is just a 5 mana 4/4 flying vigilance that is also a removal spell for one of their attacking creatures. that's also very good, but not good enough to justify putting her in a deck that doesn't run many other creatures. if we are just talking about her front side, it's only powerful if you are playing a creature heavy deck that can benefit from her ability to play as a combat trick.

*unless, of course, they are in a situation where they lose 100% of the time you have avacyn, in which case they have to hope you dont have it and attack anyway. the fact that she can command such scenarios at all is just a testament to how good the card is.
>>
.>>46489567
And you see that we haven't even considered her flip ability yet. why is it good? it's good for two different reasons. for one, she's just huge on the other side. there's not much to say about that, she turns into a 6/5 and also lava spikes your opponent's face which represents a very fast clock and the extra point of toughness brings her out of grasp of darkness / languish range. secondly, she deals 3 to all their creatures. but also your creatures. there is obviously a lot of potential in a creature that does ALL of the shit avacyn does and in addition to all of that she can wipe their board. but this is also the problem with avacyn. as I mentioned before, you want to run her in a creature heavy deck. but she also wraths your stuff, so what are you going to do? run only creatures with 4 or more toughness? the correct answer is probably some middling concession to how powerful of a card she is where you will run less small creatures than you otherwise would but you still have to fill out your curve somehow. in any case it is clear that avacyn is a powerful card, but you can't just take a random deck and be like "alright im jamming 4 avacyns in here" and expect the deck to be better for it. this standard format will be defined by figuring out how to build a deck around this card, because she is probably the most powerful card in standard right now.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-05-18-38-57.png (279 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-05-18-38-57.png
279 KB, 1080x1920
Jund Midrange. What're your thoughts?
>>
>>46489750
Where's your removal senpai?
>>
>>46489833
I'm too busy playing dank threats to remove yours.

That's the idea anyway, gonna have some in the sideboard just in case.
>>
>>46489857
What're you gonna do when ramp shits a worldbreaker all over your board?
>>
>>46489750
definitely the incorrect way to build this deck. you need a lot of removal + goblin dark dwellers. especially to the slaughter is nuts. i think more removal and dwellers is better than the deathmist package although it is definitely possible to have both. traverse the ulvenwald is correct and essential to making the manabase work, oath of nissa is good too. without so many creatures I would run only 1 arlinn.
mindwrack demon lets your dark dwellers / den protectors function as demonic tutors lategame.
deathmist raptor may be especially weak this rotation because of all the exile removal and 3 power first strikers we're going to be seeing from the white decks. similarly, hangarback walker may not be worthwhile. i don't even know why anyone would think the gitrog monster is a good card, never mind good enough to run more than 1. what are other decks doing with 5 mana? how about 5 mana, flash in an avacyn and win combat? how about 5 mana, play dark dwellers and play up to 3 mana worth of spell more for free?

anyway I want the gather the pack / megamorph thing to be good too so good luck with that if you end up playing it but I wouldn't be betting on you, that is for sure.
>>
>>46489905
Go wide with a bunch of threats, also have a lot of deathtouch to work with
>>
>>46489951
Because Gitrog is a crazy hand refilling machine when you start milling lands with Mindwrack and Gather the Pack, Chandra also wheels them into your GY, drawing even more
>>
>>46480551
I think that may be my friend working on that.
>>
>>46489990
>he starts talking about random shit the card does NOT ONLY if you untap with it, but happen to have other specific cards in your hand as well
god damn i always forget that /tg/ is just shit at magic. sure, it does shit if you untap with it no fucking shit famalam, but that's really not what makes the card good. goblin dark dwellers is an x for 1 IN ADDITION to being super positive on tempo by getting you mana on your cards. the gitgud monster can take over a game if you untap with it but that's not what makes 5 drops good. consider greenwarden of murasa. this card is a guaranteed 2+ for 1 even if they have removal and it STILL didn't get played because it's so slow. the gitgud monster doesn't even guarantee that much, and you think it's going to be good? no anon, you need to git gud.
>>
>>46490090
6 toughness is pretty hard to remove in the upcoming standard senpai.
>>
>>46490118
>declaration in stone
>stasis snare
>To the Slaughter
>Anguished unmaking
>>
File: jund midrange.png (22 KB, 650x780) Image search: [Google]
jund midrange.png
22 KB, 650x780
>>46490118
it's not hard to remove, but you're right that some decks will be very short on things that can kill it, such as jund decks themselves that will be running more grasps and ultimate prices than ruinous paths. unfortunately white decks don't give a shit because they have snare and declaration to kill anything unconditionally.

but you're right, it is not a crazy proposition to expect to untap with it. but it's not just about how easy it is to remove, it's about how fast it affects the board. the "engine" only draws you cards. inconveniently, the decks that can't kill it are going to be the matchups worst for it because it does nothing to stabilize you vs a superior boardstate other than block 1 thing on the ground. interestingly, the gitgud monster would fit better in jund decks that are built like more traditional midrange decks (that is, with removal) but I still cannot justify running it because that slot could simply be something actually consistently good like another goblin dark dweller.

pic related, correct way to build jund midrange.
>>
>>46490173
If all I have to worry about is B/W control I'll just hate it out in the sideboard, a deck isn't bad because it has a bad matchup with one other deck.
>>
>>46470828
Never done a competitive event, thought I'd give Game Day a try, maybe some standard events aside from that.

Could I get any advice on this deck?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-life-drain-control/
>>
>>46490497
well uh. deck seems bad. I think that if you want to win with cutthroat and kalastria healer you have to make the rest of your deck very durdly. drana and drana's emissaries might fit because they are flying, maybe. but a card like hero of goma fada doesn't exactly make sense because your board of 1/1s cant really attack profitably even if they are indestructible, you see what I'm saying? drana only gives attacking creatures counters so if they have something as simple as a sylvan advocate you still can't attack with your little dorks cuz they'll just die. i think you have to make the deck super durdly and focus on winning with just the triggers instead of trying to beat them down too because that's just not going to happen in this metagame. you're going to want 4 retreat to emeria to make chump blockers and to make sure you have an endless supply of dudes to trigger your stuff. oath of gideon seems bad. serene steward seems slow and bad. i dunno, try cutting all that shit for the retreat to emerias, more removal, maybe some hand disruption. you definitely need some card draw in there too, and I'd probably run more gideons as he's kind of like retreat to emeria except better but they can attack him. make sure to throw in 4 evolving wilds and maybe 1 or 2 warped landscapes to go with those retreats, also probably go up to 25 or 26 lands.
also i think secure the wastes might be a good card? i know they aren't allies, but I'm thinking maybe you could replace kalastria healer with pious evangel so you kinda have 8 zulaport cutthroats.

anyway if you keep the deck as you've built it, I'd add some march from the tomb cuz that card strong as hell in this deck.
>>
File: devastated beaver.jpg (20 KB, 220x320) Image search: [Google]
devastated beaver.jpg
20 KB, 220x320
Is Avacyn gonna be the real deal?

Seems with some of the best removal being sorcery speed if you EOT her you should get at least one turn attacking with her
>>
>>46490948
yep. pick up your copies before she passes $50
>>
>>46490805
Righto, taking away hero and serene stewards, adding in 4x pious evangel and a plains.

Strategy in mind for the deck is to use triggers and drain to slowly consume my opponent and use removal and blockers to stall things out to maximum.

Oath of gid is mostly to get some tokens out to block with / proc healer drain, added loyalty counter is useful for sorin to maximize his lifespan or use that X effect.

march from the tomb is possible, but probably sideboard tier.
>>
Who here thinks that madness might be fun to mess around with in Standard? Check out this deck http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-04-16-JEh-standard-vampire I think it could prove fun
>>
How could I make this madness deck more playable? I know its verging near tribal nonsense but thats not really my aim.

9 x Mountain
11 x Swamps
1 x Cinder Barrens
1 x Foreboding Ruins

Creatures

1 x Inverter of Truth*
3 x Sanitarium Skeleton
2 x Insolent Neonate
2 x Ember Eye Wolf *
1 x Flameblade Angel
2 x Bloodmad Vampire
2 x Incorrigible Youths
2 x Heir of Falkenrath (Going to add two more for sure)
1 x Markov Dreadknight
1 x Elusive Tormentor
1 x Ghoulsteed
1 x Kindly Stranger
1 x Pale Rider of Trostad
1 x Village Messenger

1x Murderers Axe (aiming for 2)
1 x Skeleton Key

2 x Lightning axe
3 x Senseless Rage
1 x callthe bloodline
1 x creeping dread
3 x alms of the vein
1 x fiery temper (need more)
2 x merciless resolve
1 x macabre waltz
1 x rush of adrenaline
1 x structural distortion
>>
so are werewolves finally viable in any format yet?
>>
>>46491284
no?
get kek'd across, anon
>>
>>46491272

I find the Elusive Tormentor can help with discard for madness. You basically attack with her, transform her, then discard something and play it for it's madness cost, transform again and deal 4 or 7 to their face only if you're casting fiery temper. Or on your blocker phase, you could transform her and destroy your opponents attackers and still get a madness and flip too
>>
>>46491284
>have to essentially skip a turn to flip them
>easy to flip back
>very few are actually that good when they do flip

I'm going to say no
>>
>>46491284
barely in limited, no everywhere else
Aside from Homanids, I have never seen WotC have such disdain for a tribe.

They need support on non-creatures like enchantments that prevent them from flipping or trigger flipping. Not even Moon Mist was reprinted.
>>
>>46482825
I think Jund midrange is going to be better than RB variants going strictly tribal. Use some of the enablers for the vampire deck like Olivia and Call the Bloodline, along with Moldgraf Scavenger, Deathcap Cultivator and Dark Dwellers/Gitfrog for a more general graveyard/discard matters deck than a tribal one.
>>
File: Capture.png (235 KB, 483x483) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
235 KB, 483x483
>>46490974
>tfw already got mine
>>
>>46490948
>Avacyn EoT

>Grasp of Darkness
>Anguished Unmaking
>Stasis Snare
>Clip Wings

She COULD get a turn off, but most likely if you are fighting against someone on white and has 5 mana up you just need to be prepared
>>
I've never played MTG. I have no idea what the difference between Standard, Modern and Commander is. I just got those names from the titles of each of the Generals. I know the rules that come in those little pamphlets so I'm going to assume that's "Standard." Other than that, I really know next to nothing about Magic.

I have 2 "starter" decks I got for free a few years ago, one Blue and one Black.

Blue Deck:

>Island x11

>Azure Mage x1
>Belltower Sphinx x1
>Darkslick Drake x1
>Merfolk Mesmerist x2
>Plated Seastrider x2
>Neurok Replica x2

>Divination x2
>Jace's Erasure x2
>Ice Cage x1
>Disperse x1
>Negate x2
>Mindculling x1

Black Deck:

>Swamp x13

>Vampire Nighthawk x
>Liliana's Shade x2
>Walking Corpse x1
>Renegade Demon x2
>Tormented Soul x2
>Giant Scorpion x1
>Bloodhunter Bat x1

>Cower in Fear x1
>Rise from the Grave x1
>Crippling Blight x1
>Murder x2
>Mind Rot x1

If I choose to play with these, most likely casually, would I get wrecked completely?

Is there any way to combine these decks in a way that would synergize?
>>
>>46471295
Play pauper instead. >>46428419
The decks are cheaper and way stronger.
>>
>>46491897

That's one deck bro, combine the two and you have an ok deck, however it is not standard currently
>>
>>46492071
Huh, I had a feeling they were small. How many cards are normally in a deck?

What does being Standard mean?
>>
>>46470828
Nice b8 m8
>>
>>46492154

Standard is the stuff from these sets:
http://whatsinstandard.com/
>>
>>46488434
Why not max out on Den Protectors?
>>
>>46492209
Ah, thanks. I guess I'll go check out Modern and Commander.
>>
>>46489990
Will you people stop talking about gitrog refilling your hand. It draws ONE card when you mill multiple lands. You need multiple ways to dump lands in your graveyard to get more than a card a turn off it and when you do it only makes whatever yo used to mill yourself cantrip.
>>
>>46490497
You're a few months too late to play this deck. It used to be called Rally, but the key card, Rally the Ancestors, is rotating. You're not going to win anything with this deck.
>>
>>46490974
How likely is it that she will be played in Modern?
>>
>>46492536
she might see fringe play as a 1 of in decks such as kiki chord or that other chord deck that wins with melira or anafenza + finks or w/e the abzan version of kiki combo was. she's pretty strong but man there are just so many different things you can get at 5 mana that are also pretty strong. i'm not sure how many 3 toughness or less things those decks run either, could be a problem
>>
>>46491897
Those refer to formats, which deal with card legality (except commander but commander is stupid anyway so let's ignore that). In real formats rules don't change, just the cards you can use. Those two decks appear to be modern playable, but they're literally worse than something you yourself could slap together right now. The best way to learn the game is probably to play thay ftp magic game they released on steam, it should do a good job helping you with the rules. From there you have to ask yourself how much money are you willing to spend, because if it's "just a bit to get my feet wet" this probably isn't the hobby for you. Card games are really god damn expensive.
>>
>>46492572
She is going to be queen of standard but see very rarely Modern play.

It's 5 mana. Thats A LOT of mana for modern.
>>
>>46492426
I assumed they just meant the 1 card it draws you + the card that the "tutor" gives them.
>>
>>46486441

You have a good chance of getting quality chase mythics or rares when playing limited that you can trade/sell to the store or other players for particular cards for a deck that you will work towards. Also playing Limited helps you become a much better deckbuilder.
>>
I just realized, Avacyn has three legendary creature cards now. I believe that this is the first creature to get this.

Karona/Iname only sort of count
>>
>>46492744
Yeah I'm already sold on Limited,
I'm just wondering if I need some more experience before jumping into MtGO.

The last thing I want is something that's the equivalent of playing in a chess tournament full of Experts and Grandmasters. If that's the case then I'm likely to learn nothing and pay for the privilege, and worst case it could actually be harmful to my development as a player.

I can only make it to the LGS about once a month so that's no good. I guess I could still practice drafting and building sealed decks without actually piloting them? And post them online for feedback?
>>
Should I send out my SOI mythics on Pucatrade now or hope they go up?
The ones I'm considering sending are Arlinn Kord and Sorin, Grim Nemesis.
I also have a foil Karn Liberated that is currently sitting at about $80. Should I ship that out too?
>>
>>46492922
ironic fact:

pĂșca is the Irish word for ghost
>>
>>46492922
send sorin for sure
arlinn is whatever, she'll PROBABLY? retain her value so you don't need to send her

>foil karn
literally never going to go down in value

ship the sorin ASAP he is going to be bulk planeswalker in no time
>>
>>46493173
Explain why you think Sorin will be a bulk PW
>>
>>46493173
Thanks!

Decided to send them all, along with a Vorinclex, Gitrog Monster, and Anguished Unmaking. I should have enough after this to pimp out my UR Standard deck
>>
>>46492920

I would highly recommend you play IRL than play on MTGO if you aren't familiar with timings, priority, stack order and etc. Most store players are generally very lenient and forgiving towards new players in draft at FNM. However bear in mind you will face some jerks depending on locale but let them stop you from trying to card battle.
>>
>>46492920

>I guess I could still practice drafting and building sealed decks without actually piloting them

Sorry just to add you can do what you stated there online on ccgdecks.com website. Alternatively you can play online with xmage which has rules enforcement and allows you to draft as well and play against others.
>>
>>46493173
>Sorin
>Bulk Planeswalker

He is going to ride the B/W control decks to win.

He comes on Turn 6 and if everything is right he is going to draw something nasty, deal like 4 damage to your opponent and be at 7 Loyalty.

Try to bring that down when against a deck that by turn 6 should already have you emptyhanded and board destroyed.
>>
>>46493173

Sorin is not going to be a bulk, he's definitely going to hover at the $20 range. B/W control decks have a very good finisher now.

Arlinn Kord will drop a little unless R/G/x werewolves/wolves becomes a thing. But otherwise she will also drop to somewhere between $15-$20.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/soi-uw-thopter-control/
T H O P T E R C O N T R O L B O Y S
>>
Is it just me or is White insanely strong right now compared to any other color?
>>
>>46493461

>End Hostilities
>Tranquil Cove
Anon...
>>
>>46493382
Arlinn doesn't need a wolf deck to be good, get a beat stick and start giving it +2/+2 Haste and Vigilance
>>
>>46493208
>>46493332
>>46493382
yeah no my friends, sorin is garbage
>spending 6 mana on a walker that doesn't affect the board in any way and can't stabilize the game
>good in any deck
>good in a control deck
never change /tg/, never change
>>
>>46493610
>I can't afford Sorin he is bulk anyways ! I will just keep on playing with my budget ally decks ! Dumb pay2win !
>>
>>46493642
... what?
>>
File: 410006.full.png (128 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
410006.full.png
128 KB, 223x311
So I'm bad at Magic, but I want to get into standard, or at least a pseudo-standard casual community that exists at my college. I was thinking of making something B/W but can't figure out what kind of archetype to build around with those colors. Looks like there's an awkward mix of tokens, lifegain/drain, vampires, and allies in these colors. Any suggestions?
>>
>>46493610
>Doesn't affect the board in any way
You sure about that?
>>
>>46493536

Right but usually first thing happens upon rotation is people will try her out in the most obvious deck archetype she will fit in which is going to be R/G Wolves/Werewolves. The problem is without a beatstick and she enters in alone all she can do is make a 2/2 Wolf then flip and won't be able to make any more until she flips back. Compare this to P&K who provide 3 bodies in the same cmc slot in the same colours(green not withstanding.) I'm not saying she's not a good card, she's good but not $30 good unless R/G decks start to dominate this standard.
>>
>>46493610

You know I was willing to be lenient and have a proper discussion but you're so full of shit at evaluating the card and the deck archetype it goes into which is B/W control(a deck that sees relevant play currently pre-rotation)

First of all I play B/W control and the deck pretty much retains 90% core functionality after rotation.

In fact it even gets slightly better unconditional removal since Anguished Unmaking enters and Utter End goes away meaning we can play universal removal one turn faster now. We lose the lifelink swing from an end step Secure the Wastes into Sorin, Solemn Visitor but still keep the line of going into Gideon and immediate Anthem. Sorin Grim Nemesis can be a 6 mana drain life if needed that targets creatures or planeswalkers, starting at 6 loyalty and killing off any 6 toughness creature or 6 loyalty or less planeswalker while gaining 6 is a pretty good sizeable swing back. Sorin is also additional card draw form in the deck which happens to lose a fair amount of life from drawing cards normally. Now with both Ob Nixilis and Sorin on the field you're guaranteed to be able to remove whatever the fuck they drop down while continually ticking up and down respectively. In a pinch you can alternate between ticking up and blasting your own tokens with -X ability on Sorin to keep your life total high. And if for some reason you ever get to ult with Sorin with a Gideon emblem or two on the board then you're pretty much set.
>>
>>46493692
Rest in peace, Rhino
>>
>>46471295
Rakdos Eldrazi
>>
>>46493976
let's play a game of count the retarded shit anon says!
>b/w control is a deck archetype
haha what, that's a deck but that's not what archetype means.
>a deck that sees relevant play currently pre-rotation
nope, see pic related
>anguished unmaking is better than utter end in a control deck without sorin
LOL
>6 mana to kill 1 creature at sorcery speed is good
k
>if you have a bunch of planeswalkers in play and they don't kill them you will win!
truly insightful
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.