[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alignment thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
Name a better alignment than Lawful Neutral.

Pro-tip: You can't.
>>
>>46463219
>Lawful Ant
>>
>>46463219
Dredd
>>
>>46463242
kek
>>
>>46463219
Not using an alignment system.
>>
>>46463219
"I am hidebound to follow the rules for their own sake, mistakenly thinking that conventions are important in and of themselves rather than for the results they achieve."

Yeah, no thanks. This is the alignment of every soulless bureaucrat that insists that you follow every regulation verbatim, even when it serves no purpose in the present situation. They're the people who make you take a number even when you're the only fucking person there.

Nope. Neutral Good is the way to go. Neutral Good is focused on achieving results that the help people. It has respect for laws and traditions, recognizing their importance in achieving a prosperous stable society, but balancing this out with a concern for their individual effects in the case at hand. Lawful Good people concern themselves with the big picture--with the effects of codes of conduct on society as a whole--and are willing to tolerate individual injustices in support of this. Chaotic Good people tend to focus much more narrowly on the merits of the immediate case at hand, ignoring the bigger picture ramifications of their behavior. Neutral Good balances this out, giving proper consideration to both.

And the reason to prefer Good over Neutral or Evil is fairly obvious. Would you rather live in a society where people are helpful and constructive, or one where they narrowly look after their own interests?
>>
File: doctor who tom baker wave.gif (853 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
doctor who tom baker wave.gif
853 KB, 500x369
>>46463219
Is that you, Time Lords? I'll just be over here ignoring your stuffy rules and doing good while you hold meetings and have hearings to debate propriety.
>>
>>46463219
This bitch just came from bitching at some cunts in a worm thread.
>>
I Say No To D&D.
>>
>>46463219
Lawful Good.
All the benefits of Law, with all of the wholesomeness of Good.
>>
File: Star Trek Alignments.jpg (384 KB, 2250x1800) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek Alignments.jpg
384 KB, 2250x1800
>>
>>46463219

Picard is motivated strongly by compassion. At the very least he'd be Lawful Neutral, tends towards Good.

But let's face it: he's really Lawful Good.

>b-b-b-b-b-but that time he followed Federation Law instead!

Because he's LAWFUL Good. Not Neutral or Chaotic Good.
>>
>>46466624
I miss Garak.
>>
>>46466809
By far the two best characters in that show were Cardassians, at least until the end, where they ruined Dukat by making him a comic book villain.
>>
>>46463219
Lawful neutral is such a wishy washy alignment.

Hitler was lawful neutral too.
>>
>>46463293
Dredd is solidly lawful evil. He killed half a billion innocent civilians during the apocalypse war and breaks the law whenever it inconveniences him.
>>
>>46467499
That would make him some totally different alignment. True neutral, chaotic neutral. something like that.

depends on his motives and the alignment system. Just killing shit loads of people doesn't make you evil based on most alignment systems.
>>
>>46467486
I know this is bait, but you could at least try. Beer Hall Putsch. Nazi party elbowed its way to power using paramilitary forces employing extra-legal violence against enemies. The Night of the Long Knives. Etc. And all of that's just focusing on domestic politics and the Law / Chaos axis.
>>
>>46466624
Not sure I'd call Garak, or Janeway Evil. Not good, but not evil either. And Spock is Definitely LG. Kirk... Sometimes you have to wonder if he is really good.
Sisko... Shit now I want to watch DS9. Tho I'd call him CG.
>>
>>46467548
>Just killing shit loads of people doesn't make you evil based on most alignment systems.

It does if they're innocent.

Killing innocents is an Evil act. If you regularly pull Evil acts, or pull a few big ones once in a while, you're Evil.
>>
>>46463219
Robocop
>>
>>46468563
Robocop is a shitty alignment because you can still shoot him in the face.
>>
>>46468660
Oh no, then you'd injure the PR-friendly preserved skin stretched over his reconstructed cyborg skull and maybe compromise his ability to joylessly slurp baby food.
>>
>>46463219
>Of course, you know of the Prime Directive - which tells us that we have no right to interfere in the natural evolution of alien worlds. Now, I have sworn to uphold it. But, nevertheless, I have disregarded that directive - on more than one occasion - because I thought it was the right thing to do!

>But the question of justice has concerned me greatly of late. And I say to any creature who may be listening, there can be no justice so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions.

>There are times, sir, when... men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but... you ignore their personal liberties... and freedom. Order a man to hand his child over to the state? Not while I'm his Captain.

Picard is an archetypal Lawful GOOD character. Almost all the main characters in the franchise are some flavor of Good. They routinely choose to risk their own lives for altruistic motives.
>>
>>46467696
if janeway isn't evil she's chaotic stupid
>>
>>46473363
Supposedly Kate Mulgrew has said that she believes Janeway is bipolar.
>>
>Neutral Good
/thread
>>
>>46466624
this chart is messed up on a few characters... particularly janeway who is either chaotic good or neutral good.
i think garak was chaotic neutral.
>>
>>46473695
Kate Mulgrew had and still has the acting chops to make Janeway a true badass Trek Captain. It was the paintchip chewing retards pretending to be writers that fucked the character.
>>
>>46473856
The biggest problem was that different writers couldn't agree on a characterization for her. So she's be the ship's den mother one episode, and a hard ass bitch the next. Hence Mulgrew concluding that her character must have a mood disorder.
>>
>>46465862
Fifth post best post.
>>
>>46467689
>>46467689
Not bait, literally lawful neutral.

That's exactly why the alignment is so shit, you can be anything as long as your consistent to some preexisting set of opinions for the most part.

Literal laws have nothing to do with it, you could easily argue that robin hood was lawful neutral as long as his reason for robbing the rich to give to the poor was some personal code or philosophy that required him to do so and not that he gave a shat about the poor.
>>
File: garakbashir.jpg (19 KB, 465x339) Image search: [Google]
garakbashir.jpg
19 KB, 465x339
>>46466624
I would argue that Garak is a Chaotic Neutral party member done right.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.