[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid question but >French and Italian use the term "lance"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12
File: 1334012990398.jpg (339 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1334012990398.jpg
339 KB, 600x600
Stupid question but
>French and Italian use the term "lance" for any spear
This makes sense but what the hell do they call the specific fortified spear used for optimizing impact on horse charge?
>>
Use google translate, you stupid fucking nigger.
>>
>>46458632
lancia da cavaliere
>>
Omelette du fromage
>>
>>46458632
A lance, presumably.
>>
Hon Hon baguette
>>
>>46458632
Such a weapon does not exist in their languages, as those nations only run away from enemy lines.
>>
>>46458632
Lance de cavalerie in French.
>>
File: 1315426977402.jpg (750 KB, 1280x2019) Image search: [Google]
1315426977402.jpg
750 KB, 1280x2019
>>46458767
>medieval French
>running away
>>
>>46458897

Source? Love this kind of stuff
>>
>>46458632
PF/3.5 uses "lance d'arçon", but apparentky it isn't the real name.
I don't know for italians, but in French we have a variety of words for different types of spear.
On the top of my head:
Pike=pique
Javelin=Javelot
Spear=Epieu (I think)
>>
>>46458897
>Vikings who had previously invaded France and lived there, among other places, for a few years
>Literally invaded England once
Yeah, sure is the Big Bad Frenchman...
>>
>>46458632
Lancia is a spear
Picca is a pike
Lancia da Giostra is a jousting lance
Lancia da Cavaliere, is in fact a cavarly lance
Corsesca is a corsesque
And Op is a faggot.
>>
Hello /tg/.
In French it would be lance de tournoi, literally joust/tourney lance.
>>
>>46458642
Google translate is the worst possible way to translate, it only gives a vague meaning. I use it to understand the gist of what something says.

To experiment, run an English phrase through any other language, then run that back to english, it will be garbled and nonsensical.
>>
>>46459277
Seconded from Milan
>>
>>46458632
The specific fortified spear with fancy stuff is for jousting.

They use the word lance for both spear and lance because a war lance IS a fucking spear.

At the most "elaborate" a lance for war was a bottom-heavy spear with a pronounced handle with a chunky bit behind it to focus most of the weight around and behind the grip to counterbalance it and make it more nimble in the hand.
>>
>>46459406
Sololanebbia.jpeg
>>
>>46459383
Coucou anon.

We use lance for every style of lance, but we just add something like the other frenchfag said.
Except a pike is a pique and a partisan is a pertuisane, maybe other I don't remember too.
>>
>>46459427
zitto, sarracino!
>>
File: Thanks OP.png (329 KB, 461x758) Image search: [Google]
Thanks OP.png
329 KB, 461x758
>>46459401
>Type "OP is a giant gay person"
>get "OP est une personne gay géant."
>this translates back to "OP is a giant gay person"
>>
>>46458897
What is this?
>>
>>46458632
In french we use the same word since lances and spears are essentially the same shit (a lance is essentially a bigger badder spear). For the lances used in jousting, we might juste precise that it's a jousting lance.
>>
>>46458951
>>46459427
Crécy, a comic book by Warren Ellis
>>
File: 1452560691666.jpg (22 KB, 200x296) Image search: [Google]
1452560691666.jpg
22 KB, 200x296
>>46459219
>Normans
>Vikings

Assmad britbong detected.
>>
>>46458632
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_de_cavalerie
>>
>>46459704
But they were.

They were as much Italian as French.
>>
>>46458632
Probably just a lance or cavalry lance, just like how in english a sword was more or less just called a sword fairly regardless of it's form. Nowadays we would say arming sword, side sword, falchion, shortsword, etc, but the only real distinction in european culture came about when two handed blades made the scene, then they were just called longswords. Our terminology comes from a heavily bastardized take on some victorian era nobleman's yabbering.

If I'm remembering correctly, I think the word "lance" is derived from the old greek word for a throwing javelin anyways, so really we're further off the mark in english for calling the footmobile ones "spears" anyways.

Long story short, everybody who was on the field would know the difference without having another dumbass word for it. Don't get hit by either.
>>
>>46459219
One an a half centuries isn't two years, the initial Viking settlement was far outnumbered by the native French they ruled over, and by the time the Norman conquest rolled over they were speaking a French patois and had barely any pure Viking blood left.

Of course, they might not have been proper French, but proper French didn't really exist - the region was a mess of more-or-less related languages and dialects unified more by historical ownership than any linguistic or ethnic homogeneity. The Occitania region, for example, was lingustically (and likely ethnically) further from the Ile de France region than the Normans were, but they were still medieval Frenchmen.

You're also missing quite a few wars over Normandy and the Plantagenet holdings between 1066 and the HYW, some of which you'll be happy to know the French won.

And thank god they lost the HYW, or the Anglicisation of the Plantagenet ruling class might never have happened.
>>
>>46458897
It's quite funny to see them demonizing the french in order to make themselves look good.
You'd almost forget that the common english strategy of that time (called the "chevauchée") litterally consisted in getting everyone a horse and roam the countryside burning and pillaging every fucking thing like goddamn Mongols and occasionally besieging a castle.

Charles V got so tired of this shit that he just told everyone to not bother fighting them and let DuGuesclin handle them while peasants retreated to their castles.
>>
>>46458632
A cavalry spear.
Because a lance is a spear for cavalry.
Does that make sense?
>>
>>46459768
>And thank god they lost the HYW, or the Anglicisation of the Plantagenet ruling class might never have happened.
We won though.
>>
File: 1337841010204.png (492 KB, 587x557) Image search: [Google]
1337841010204.png
492 KB, 587x557
>>46459849
>We won though.
Considering how often I see this shit on /tg/, /int/ and youtube I have to wonder if the UK has a maximum IQ limit for internet access.
>>
>>46459591
>>46458951
Crécy by Warren Ellis.

Basically an English archer narrates the lead up and the battle in modern day English and swears a lot.

It makes some claims that not everyone will agree with, but all in all it's a fun, irreverent little piece of history.

Stay away if longbows or Warren Ellis trigger you though.
>>
>>46459882
I was thinking you said that the english won, I assumed that by "we" you meant the english.
>>
>>46459849
I went back to change some stuff and lost track of who 'they' was, so that 'they' should have been the English.

It's 5 in the morning here.

>>46459790
The English and the French had been doing that to each other along the Normandy border for the better part of three centuries by then, and it's not like the English had the monopoly on it in the HYW alone.

They certainly were the more prolific raiders, but besieging a castle is a dangerous game.
>>
>>46459759
Fucking what. As a Norman, I'm calling you out on your complete bullshit.

There was zero "viking" left in the Normans. Ignoring that "viking" wasn't even a thing, and rather what you speak of is Norse/Danes, the pagan Dane was fucking gone by the time of Hastings, long gone. Rollo/Robert, founder of the Norman people, already sorta-Christianized upon the point of his death and his sons and the sons of his troops took christian wives. This continued for numerous generations (there was a very long period of time between the invasion of Rollo and the Norman invasion of England) with the Norman descendants breeding more and more with the French people until after close to two centuries they were ethnically French. They were Christian, had French DNA, largely French culture, and practiced French warfare. They had completely abandoned their Dane heritage by 1066, the only thing that remained Danish was their name, Norman, which translates to 'Northmen;. As there was no introduction of more Danish blood in any significant numbers I can recall, there probably wouldn't even be any Danish DNA really left.
>>
>>46458663
>>46458671
/thread
>>
>>46459587
But 'géant' should be the feminine form 'géante', in order to agree with 'une personne', and size-related adjectives go before the noun.
>>
>>46459790
Half the fucking graphic novel is the English being rotten bastards that burn and loot, they're not forgetting anything. The protagonist, I think, calls the English army a bunch of terrorists at one point.

Don't be be a smug cunt if you've only seen one panel.
>>
File: 1402740052891.png (444 KB, 465x455) Image search: [Google]
1402740052891.png
444 KB, 465x455
>>46458767
>Such a weapon does not exist in their languages
That reminds me of the time Bush tried to explain that the biggest problem with the French economy was that the French don't even have a word for entrepreneur.

Now sit down and think for five seconds about why English, and so many other languages, use a French word for the cavalry spear
>>
>>46460046
Well Im judging on what I see, if the rest actually depict them accurately, then fair enough.
>>
File: 2d83q74.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
2d83q74.png
2 MB, 1440x900
You should charge with a style and a "kopia" in your hand.
>>
>>46459944
>As a Norman
What is this.

Vikings were Norse sailors you dumb fuck, and were definitely real. The Normans originated -- relatively recently -- from them, hence the name. And we are not talking about "ethnic" French, we are talking about political -- and to an extent, cultural French. France did not invade England. The Normans invaded England. This very fact can be seen by the whole war thing. In reality, the Normans were -- Normans. Certainly not French, nor "true" Vikings -- but that's why I said "who lived there for a few years". It is obvious that you could not lay the blame for the conquest of England at the feet of the French.

The concept of Viking, or Norse, is not tied to the concept of pagan.
>>
>>46460193
>France did not invade England.
It did though
>>
>>46458663
Anche "lancia da giostra" (jousting lance for anglofags).

Now THAT raises the question about how "giostra" in Italian means both cavalry tournament and carousel.
>>
>>46460193
Cultural French didn't exist in the Middle Ages, and continued not to exist in France until after the 19th century education reforms. An asshole with a Romance language and fealty to the King of France was about as French as you could expect from 90% of the population, and the Norman patois was at least a langue d'oil and not a langue d'oc.

Politically, you're correct, France did not invade England. A French vassal, the Duke of Normandy, invaded England, and then continued to pay homage to the French crown for his continental holdings.

You can, however, lay the blame for the conquest of England at the feet of the French. Not the Kingdom of France, but Frenchmen.

And the Norwegians, too, if you feel like mentioning Harald.
>>
>>46460193
Never witnessed such butthurt english denial.
Another thing to consider: northen france was settled by Franks (hence the name) during the Völkerwanderung.
The Franks, the "get shit done" Germanii, not some pleb-tier Saxon farmer.
>>
>>46458632
"Lance de Joute" or "Lance de Joute Equestre"
>>
File: 1429283729038.jpg (392 KB, 1516x1236) Image search: [Google]
1429283729038.jpg
392 KB, 1516x1236
>>46460435
>The Franks, the "get shit done" Germanii
More like the "Rome is so cool! Maybe I'll attend a prestigious high school in Rome one day and become a senator or even a consul!" Germanii.
>>
>>46460435
Say what you will about the Anglo-Saxons, at least they managed to assimilate the natives, unlike the Franks, the Lombards, the Ostrogoths, the Visigoths or the Vandals.
>>
>>46460498
>implying that's a bad thing.
And Poitiers.
>>
Reminder that "Dieu et mon droit " is the motto of the UK monarchy
>>
>>46460694
Yeah, they adopted it during the Hundred Years War as an oblique reference to the King's claim to France.

What of it?
>>
>>46460084

This didn't happen. Seriously 2min research would've told you this.
>>
>>46459587
Words that are not recognized are not translated, Spanish does not have "gay."
The word you are looking for is something along the lines of "homosexual" or "man-lover."

Either way, if shown to a person who speaks only Spanish, they will be confused.
>>
>>46460435
>The Franks, the "get shit done" Germanii
If their language wasn't a Gaul-flavored pig latin this description might hold some water. As it stands, the french are an effeminate celt-roman mongrel horde.
>>
>>46458723
No, that's a glaive.
>>
>>46460927
After Völkerwanderung all Europe is mongrel. Poles way less (inb4 mongols), Italians waaaaay more, English and French something in the middle.

The French are a mongrel of Roman, Celtic, Frankish Germanii (germanic languages were spoken in the north, they just disappeared). There is more, southern cities are of Greek origins, at least some.

The Romano-celtic were the majority so both franks before and normans after were just absorbed. But in any case, Northern Gaul had the Franks, and Britain got the short hand of the stick with the Saxons, that were... well. Not the Franks, to be polite.
>>
>>46461371
>the Romano-celtic were the majority
That's no excuse, Celtic blood is still the majority in England and nobody there speaks Romano-British.
>>
File: easy modo.png (179 KB, 600x453) Image search: [Google]
easy modo.png
179 KB, 600x453
>>46459944
...so basically the French conquered England and spanked the English so hard that they eventually ran off to North America in large numbers?

And the French were all like: "HONOHN MON AMIES, LETS TORCHE LE CAPITALIQUE DE AMERICANES FOR LE HONSEZ".

So they did.
>>
>>46461885
What?
>>
>>46461744
Meh. Seeing how many french and latin words modern english has, we are writing romano-british (sort of) too, anon. Or at least, the latin is strong.
>>
>>46459944
Not to mention the fact that using a nation-state logic before late 19th century is silly. People regularly imported kings from the other end of Europe when they ddin't have a local one available, peasants could change alliegiance a dozen times during their life in the most conflict-ridden periods, and so on...
>>
>>46460336

I think context might come into play, here.
>>
>>46460193
>>As a Norman
>What is this.
You do realize that Normandy didn't just vanish or something, right?

Shit it even still has its own sub-dialect of French.
>>
>>46461885
More like the northern French spanked the English isles so hard they can't had a Saxon king for nearly a millennium and every British king is a direct successor to William I.
>>
>>46460336
Carousels were orginally used for lancing practice
>>
>>46464073
Whose oldest form mostly exists on the Channel Islands, in a strange twist of fate.
>>
File: agincourt.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
agincourt.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>46458951
>>
>>46464096
>every British king is a direct successor to William I.

Even if we ignore the fairly spurious lineage claims of the Wars of the Roses, we've still got the Stewarts, William III, the Hanoverians, the Saxe-Coburgs. Don't forget the break in the middle as well, when Cromwell was Lord Protector. So whether you go by blood or title, it's not a simple linear direct succcesion.

Also Britain =/= England. The Scottish Kings aren't part of this until James I&VI succeeds Elizabeth I.
>>
>>46464096
>>46466605
It's also conveniently ignoring the fact William was enforcing a (probably) spurious claim to being the rightful successor of Edward the Confessor rather than just going for England for the hell of it, so technically any successor to William is a successor to the old Saxon kingship.
>>
>>46458632
Lance d'arçon.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.