[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a HUMANITY FUCK YEAH thread? I'm sick and tired
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79
File: ig1.jpg (94 KB, 1024x517) Image search: [Google]
ig1.jpg
94 KB, 1024x517
Can we have a HUMANITY FUCK YEAH thread? I'm sick and tired of lefties and hippes saying humans ruined the Earth and we should all get killed.

Pics/discussing of humans kicking xeno/fantasy ass and fucking xeno/fantasy bitches. Can be fantasy, sci-fi, etc.
>>
>>46457325

So, Star trek thread then?
>>
it's an uphill battle to unlock the next 7 dimensions, pretty crowded up there.
>>
Oh, ecology change will get a lot of us killed. And survivors will be able to hatefuck every xeno because of being durable enough.
>>
Oh boy, another HFY thread.
>We breathe rocket fuel! Never mind that the main elements in our bodies are among the most common in the universe, we're special, and we have the proportional strength of rockets!
>Earth is a death world and it's a miracle we can thrive here, as opposed to exoplanets discovered in real life that have twice as much gravity, half as much sunlight, and constant hurricanes!
>There's a tiny isolated stone-age tribe in Ungabungaland that still practices endurance hunting! That's a game-changing ability to have in space where the furthest you'll ever have to run is the length of your ship!
>We've discovered so much science in only a couple thousand years, surely this is extraordinary compared to the imaginary enemies we made up to be worse than us!
>We alone possess the concepts of "never give up" and "think outside the box", because all aliens are lazy retards who don't understand their own technology and never had a real war against each other!
>It's impossible for a human to surrender under any circumstances, that's why all colonial wars in our history ended in extinction rather than merging of populations!
>Reverse engineering is like Final Fantasy blue magic, where simply being hit by an alien gun allows you to mass-produce it by the end of the day!
>Who needs superior firepower, mobility, recon and logistics when you have some abstract undefinable human-ness that overcomes all odds through sheer author bias?
>Genocide for the sake of genocide is something to be celebrated! PURGE ALL XENOS FOR THE EMPRAH WHO DOESN'T EXIST IN THIS SETTING!!
>Unless we're a benevolent empire spreading freedom and prosperity to all, minimizing civilian deaths and helping conquered cities rebuild, which is an inherently human thing and not just the United States for the last 50 years tops!
>>
HERF DERF! STOP TRIGGERING ME OR I'LL GIVE YOU A BAD (You)!
>>
File: 1399089840240.jpg (38 KB, 362x346) Image search: [Google]
1399089840240.jpg
38 KB, 362x346
But he didn't quote any posts, so he didn't give anyone a (You).
>>
>>46457325
But humans are ruining the earth. That doesn't necessarily mean that we should all get killed, though.
>>
>>46459804

>>We breathe rocket fuel! Never mind that the main elements in our bodies are among the most common in the universe, we're special, and we have the proportional strength of rockets!

The ayys aren't guaranteed to breathe it too. It's also a joke and comes from an old image macro

>>Earth is a death world and it's a miracle we can thrive here, as opposed to exoplanets discovered in real life that have twice as much gravity, half as much sunlight, and constant hurricanes!

None of which have intelligent life you shitter.

>>There's a tiny isolated stone-age tribe in Ungabungaland that still practices endurance hunting! That's a game-changing ability to have in space where the furthest you'll ever have to run is the length of your ship!

Space Olympics my friend. There's more to life than millitary shit which is unfortunately all HFY is now.

Only ones I took issue with.
>>
>>46457325
I know a lot of people shit on hfy threads but come on they arent that common recently.
>>
>>46459865
We're ruining the Earth for *us*.

We're doing a perfectly fine job of eliminating our own ecological niche.
>>
I much prefer the "HFY" threads that AREN'T about war and domination, and focus on cooperation and cultural exchange instead.
>>
Cuttlefish are better than humans.

Discuss.
>>
>>46460028
>cooperating with aliens
Is "cooperating" code word for "burning the subhuman fucks down"? If yes, i'm cool with it.
>>
>>46460028
I do too and new gimmicks or hats but those are always ruined by warfags. Yes, I'm still salty you guys immediately turned the cute mascot thing into lolis and warshit. I'm waiting for an apology.
>>
>>46457325
>40K
>HFY
Pfft.
>>
>>46460061
more that we win an absolute cultural victory, and all the xeno whores just have to get used to their only work being concubine or jester
>>
>>46459951
>None of which have intelligent life you shitter.
Citations pls.
>>
File: 1338059381141.jpg (304 KB, 919x1254) Image search: [Google]
1338059381141.jpg
304 KB, 919x1254
>>46457325
As a leftist and a hippie I don't say we should all be killed. I'm saying that we are stupidly killing ourselves by cutting branch we're sitting on to whack ourselves with it.
>>
>>46460107
We still have to burn 90% of males and sell the rest to deviants.
>>
>>46460124
Why don't you try going to Google.ayy
>>
>>46460196
Anon, stop making it so damn easy.
>>
I like it as a story concept, but an all conquering Terran Empire, or even an uppity one, just doesn't seem likely. If we find habitable, or even almost-with-some-work habitable planet, you'd get just a bunch of different groups out there.

I could see unified designs, but not unified mentalities.
>>
>>46460288
The only thing humanity unifies under is the organization responsible for dealing and maintaining a species wide equivalent of intellectual property. We can't have them simply cloning us for commercial purposes you see.
>>
>>46460361
Why not?
>>
>>46457325
>Can we have a HUMANITY FUCK YEAH thread?

Take this gay shit to /b/.

It's not traditional games, and you need to stop trying to spam your embarrassing idiotic and masturbatory shit here. You discredit the very humanity you hope to exalt.
>>
>>46460393
Because then they won't pay us to be in their commercials or visit our tourist traps when they can just clone us. You thought Disney and GW were lawsuit happy but they don't hold a candle to the defender's of humanity's image.
>>
>>46460430
Dude, I can feel the waves of butthurt and autism radiating off you, calm it a bit.
>>
>>46460484
>>46460393
>Are you an educated and driven enough dude to protect Humanities image IN SPACE?
>>
>>46460516
>Wah, why don't people let me spam my gay shit here?

Because you're retarded. And you keep spamming your gay shit here.
>>
>>46460555
Someone's already on the case officer >>46459805
>>
>>46460137
this desu
I think humanity can be great, but it's probably not the best idea blow shittons of gasses into the atmosphere, throw millions of tons of plastic into the sea and pollute the land wherever modern humans settle.
>>
Humans are only notable for tasting great,

Discuss.
>>
Humans are the only species deluded enough to bother expanding

Discuss.
>>
>>46460711
It plays out like
>>46460361
>>46460484

but we want to be the only ones running lab grown meat farms. Also we sell dumb aliens pork and call it human sometimes.
>>
>>46460731
explain
>>
>>46460430

t. an elf
>>
>>46460731
I firmly believe by the time we become mostly unified and space opera capable we will be so sick of hot and cold wars that we just become one of those irrelevant goody two shoes soapbox nations for tourists. Like iceland and costa rica.
>>
File: global_ant_distribution_map.jpg (811 KB, 2857x1550) Image search: [Google]
global_ant_distribution_map.jpg
811 KB, 2857x1550
>>46460731

Lies.

It should also be noted that if humanity doesn't end the Earth by destroying its ecology, these buggers would probably do it instead.
>>
>>46460802
>ANTarctica
>no ants

lmao they suck
>>
>>46460759
By the point it becomes economically viable to not only find, travel too and colonize planets we should be so advanced that we wont need too.= for any other sake than ego.
>>
File: 1429250266101.png (56 KB, 881x799) Image search: [Google]
1429250266101.png
56 KB, 881x799
>>46460052
What is there to discuss? It's objectively true. In fact, all cephalopods are generally superior.
>>
File: mankind prank.png (118 KB, 877x1700) Image search: [Google]
mankind prank.png
118 KB, 877x1700
>>
I think these threads are hilarious, so many butthurt autists come out of the woodwork :^)
>>
File: 1429976177355.jpg (260 KB, 475x750) Image search: [Google]
1429976177355.jpg
260 KB, 475x750
>>46460836
Whoop, wrong image.
>>
>>46460838
The spinoff's ruined that story.
>>
>>46460833
>By the point it becomes economically viable to not only find, travel too and colonize planets we should be so advanced that we wont need too.= for any other sake than ego.

If we're competing against other species for places that suck less or are viable for colonization we would competr. Especially if we overpopulate but even if that were the case >>46460796
>>
>>46460872
Usually do.
>>
>>46460836
>tfw 16 charisma and autistic
>>
>>46460802
If ants had internet, I bet there would be Antity Fuck Yeah threads claiming that an ant's natural ability to dig tunnels through dirt will make them unstoppable galactic conquerors in the future.
>>
>>46457325
HFY is a stupid idea that only succeeded in producing a list of terrible stories, with even the "best" not even managing to achieve the status of "mediocre."
It also lead to a wide variety of shitposting, with just about every fantasy and scifi race being the target of imaginary hatred because of their audacity to be superior to humans in some regard.
It's something that should have ended years ago, but the mindless writing prompt that simply said "write a story about humans winning and we'll felate you" lead many small-minded amateur writers to create testimonies to the failings of public education, and then to vainly repost those awful wank works to prove to themselves that they didn't waste their time, time that might have been better spent realizing that obsessing about humans being superior to fictional races is a clinical example of insanity.

It's even worse when they start to believe that anyone who hates HFY hates humanity. It's this kind of misguided persecution complex that hopes to try and separate humans that disagree with them from the idealized version of humanity they've placed on a pedestal, which only has attributes they believe are meritorious, a race even more fictional than the imaginary opponents they erect for their homebrew race to defeat.
>>
>>46460877
Were likely going top be post Human in like 80 years anyway i don't think we'll have to worry about shit like that, Everybody will be living in their Virtual Waifu worlds, with intelligent shackled AI's keeping your own personal world intresting and injecting it with adventure.

When only 5 years have passed barley a second will pass in the real world. Ladies and Gentlemen the answer to the Fermi Paradox.
>>
>>46460918
Ants Fuck yeah!
>>
>>46460361
No. The only thing that unifies is an outside force. After that there will evolve differeces again
>>
File: 1455516794613.png (710 KB, 1280x1067) Image search: [Google]
1455516794613.png
710 KB, 1280x1067
Greetings, fellow human citizens of the glorious ADVENT Administration. What's going on in this thread?
>>
>>46460923
Shut up Ayy and buy some human meat.
>>
Who else is looking forward too Stellaris?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxTT258PmNc
>>
>>46460957
That outside force being those pirating, cloning fucks not spending their shekels on our shit.
>>
>>46461006
Oops, wrong video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYRLFvJVFg
>>
>>46460924
Then we'll all hook up to a matrioshka brain.
>>
File: witness.jpg (457 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
witness.jpg
457 KB, 1000x667
>>46460028
>cultural exchange is better than war and domination
Khorne keeps telling me I should kill all tau and swedes, but I can't do that over the internet.
Shame.
>>
File: jim_burns_startide_rising.jpg (410 KB, 1276x900) Image search: [Google]
jim_burns_startide_rising.jpg
410 KB, 1276x900
>>46460923
Being a condescending twat from the other side doesn't really make you any better.

Of course the stuff here ranges from subpar to mildly acceptable; it's all amateur. There is some professionally published stuff that qualifies as HFY by any means. Some of it is even pretty highly respected.

Alan Dean Foster's The Damned trilogy is roughly HFY to an extreme. Alien Federation recruit humans because humans are so much better at being violent assholes than any other intelligent race. Better yet, they turn out to be violently resistant to their enemy hierarch's mind control abilities.
The enemy promptly surrenders, under the assumption that humans will rip apart the federation the moment they don't have a foe to fight.

Alternately, David Brin's Uplift setting, of which Startide Rising won Locus, Hugo, and Nebula awards, Uplift War which won Locus & Hugo, got a Nebulae nomination, and the first book of this Uplift Storm Trilogy got nominations for all three. If you think the winner of literally three different world-class SF awards is mediocre at best, you might as well head back to /lit/; you're not going to find anyone to talk to here.

Uplift setting has humanity as extremely small players in an extremely large pond, all the more in danger as a result of being "special". It repeatedly states that most of the big entities in the galaxies don't really expect humanity to survive a thousand years, but hey, they're amusingly interesting and upsetting until something unfortunate happens to them. Humanity has few resources, is consistently on the back foot throughout all six books, very definitely is special and awesome, and has to fight for scrap and inch that might contribute towards their survival. But try to avoid actual fighting, because there's only one way that would actually end.
>>
>>46459984
It's not even a particularly new thing. I mean, algae did the same.
>>
File: 1458911123421.png (782 KB, 1126x856) Image search: [Google]
1458911123421.png
782 KB, 1126x856
>>46460963
Earth ackbar
>>
File: guess_which_ones_female.jpg (109 KB, 840x525) Image search: [Google]
guess_which_ones_female.jpg
109 KB, 840x525
>>46461209
Most HFY, as I understand, came up as a cyclic kind of thing, in reaction to a generation of "humans suck" SF&F. Nothing wrong with either, but after enough people want something new. Same thing with shiny high fantasy vs the new Game of Thrones stuff, gritty low fantasy. (Or gritty high fantasy? I don't really follow it.)

Anyway, AFAIK, back in the day (~1930s or something) the editor of Locus or whatever the SF&F rag was back in the day basically refused publication of anything that didn't have the humans win/better at everything/clearly the heroes. So after a while, when he finally lost enough power/influence/died/whatever, you got a generation of stuff being transgressive and going the other way. And now you have people getting tired of that too and going back. It's not like it's inherently an issue, it's just something that happens. Like convection.

>>46461006
>>46461034
>Paradox games
>Paradox games after what they're doing to HoI4
>Paradox games after what they did to EUIV
>Paradox games After Sword of the Stars got cut off and left for dead ;-;

I'll probably forgive them someday, but I'm not stupid enough to buy any of their games on launch anymore.
>>
>>46460796
>I firmly believe by the time we become mostly unified
The heat death of the universe is not a good place to thrive.
>>
>>46460137
I wish more greenies would phrase their shit this way, it makes so much more sense. The idea that humanity has the capability to actually do any kind of lasting harm to the planet is so utterly fucking delusional it's ridiculous. No matter what we do the Earth will survive, hell most of the biosphere even would survive given most of it's bacteria anyway. But we wouldn't, that's why it's bad: self interest and nothing more. Why can't the greenies sell that rather then this hippy gotta protect mother earth bullshit they're always peddling? It's like shitting in the river you drink out of, how hard is that to explain without going off into quasi-mystical nature worshiping bullshit?
>>
File: 572222.jpg (376 KB, 1090x717) Image search: [Google]
572222.jpg
376 KB, 1090x717
Great Crusade was pretty "fuck yeah". Humanity, long thought beaten, emerges out of their ancestral homeworld led by a demi-god. Using sheer numbers, super soldiers, and advanced tech they conquer much of the galaxy and annihilate all aliens in their path. Nobody could even come close to stopping them.

It's why I wonder why the Eldar still maintain their superiority complex in the HH when they get buttfucked by humanity left and right just years before.
>>
Setting up imaginary and nonsensically weak enemies for yourself just so you can brag about knocking them down is kind of pathetic. What are some HFY stories that are not about beating down aliens? I thought The Last Question kind of went in that direction.
>>
>>46461034
>It's flying into our direction
>menacingly
>better fire
>To bad we don't have first contact protocols or some shit

Last one goes for both parties involved
>>
>>46459966
that's the reason. they are stupid, just look what a fag OP is here. He basically is annoyed by reality and want to escape to hungarian fighting bull board and create a circlejerk of other idiots jizzing to how humanity is better than everything, even though we have literally nothing to compare to irl.
>>
>>46460918
but Anon, it will.
>>
>>46461209
>I'm so brain addled I view all things through a HFY lens

You need help. Like, serious help. Hopefully, after medication and counseling, you'll realize that HFY is little more than an asinine writing prompt, and hardly a genre that actual writers are aware of. When it finally dawns on you that their works don't actually fit all that neatly into your contrived grouping, even with its endlessly changing definitions and intended purposes coming from several people who hope to be the lead on this failed project, please come back and we'll talk about how even if it wasn't the awful mess that it is, it still has less to do with traditional games than Spongebob Squarepants, who actually has multiple board games with his face on them.
If it was a group that wanted to make a "hey, let's write sci-fi" discussion under some less-idiotic tagline like LWSF, I don't think it would have amassed all the hatred it gets, but with HFY just being a mindless writing prompt that just tells the same story again and again and produces ideas that are actually detrimental to any game that dares to have more than a single race, it really deserves all the hate that it gets, and you deserve as much condescension that can be aimed in your direction.
>>
File: med.jpg (59 KB, 344x512) Image search: [Google]
med.jpg
59 KB, 344x512
>>46459966
this
>>
>>46461351
The ones with which I discuss (aka not stupid little shits, scientists/farmers and the like) usually speak of it this way. And most policies that make everyone grumble because taxes and because not dumping shit in the water your workers drink is so fucking expensive generally are as well. Sure there is the mystical shit in there, but ecology politics is actually one of the most scientific and rational area of politics.
>>
>>46461385
To be fair they did absolutely wreck DAoT Humanity by literally hate fucking a god into existence.

Granted they probably came out worse for it, but that's what you get when you don't expand far enough.
>>
File: 1456192217800.jpg (25 KB, 449x328) Image search: [Google]
1456192217800.jpg
25 KB, 449x328
It would be nice if it was actually a legit fight with humans having to overcome. But it's always shitty stories about humans fucking up pathetic aliens.
>>
>>46459966
They shouldn't be here at all, commonly or rarely.
>>
What really killed HFY for me was when someone showed me the Reddit Thing they have for it. It all read like really shitty fan fiction.
>>
File: I'm too valuable to lose!.png (296 KB, 335x385) Image search: [Google]
I'm too valuable to lose!.png
296 KB, 335x385
>>46461497
Alright, that's enough. Five months in the iso-cubes for being this mad, creep.
>>
Bring me 1000 cuttlefish and i will fight them all, at the same time, buttnaked and bare knuckled.
I will dominate nature.
>>
>>46461660
They'll pleasure you into a moaning mess before you can take them out.
>>
>>46461626
>I'm not mad, you're the one who's mad!

It's sad.
>>
>>46461685
Nein.
Im am ubermensch, i will dominate nature.
>>
>>46461535
>To be fair they did absolutely wreck DAoT Humanity by literally hate fucking a god into existence
Not quite true.
The actual fall of the eldar and birth of Slannesh was actually good for man: it ended the age of strife and allowed the great crusade to happen by clearing up all the warp storms, thus allwong safe travel.
Said warp storms were one of many factors that ended the DAoT, amd were caused by the eldars hate fucking, but it certainly wasn't the sole or even most important cause of the end of the DAoT.
>>
>>46461848
Good point, maybe we shouldn't have given all machines souls.
>>
>>46461280

I suppose you can wait for them to start adding things and fucking things up.
>>
File: Slide198.jpg (116 KB, 610x385) Image search: [Google]
Slide198.jpg
116 KB, 610x385
>>46457325

Proper lefties are far better at ruining Earth than any delusional Internet Nazi.

On the other hand, get back to /pol/.
>>
>>46462028

>inb4 "Soviet Union cared about environment!"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aral_Sea
>>
>>46461848
EoT doe.
>>
>>46461623
Unlike /tg/ HFY?
>>
>>46462167
>>46462028
>ascribing "we'll take short-term gains over long-term gains because we won't have to pay the long-term costs" to any particular ideology
pls, pls, ur killin me m8
>>
>>46462324
In comparison the Tg works should be up for nebulas.
>>
File: Humanity Goddammit.png (41 KB, 1327x400) Image search: [Google]
Humanity Goddammit.png
41 KB, 1327x400
>>46457325
>>
>>46457325
Does transhumanism count as HFY? What if it's used to defeat aliens who can't figure it out themselves?
>>
>>46462324
Shitty fanfiction of those OG anonymus guys. Its that bad.
>>
File: 1073.jpg (43 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1073.jpg
43 KB, 400x225
I think this is as good a place as any for a rant about our species' potential. Our team has more potential than the naturopath hippies and cynical misanthropes will ever give us credit for, and no not in the sense of "humanity is the best and can do no wrong," but simply "humanity isn't 100% doomed to inevitably kill itself going forward."

And really, fuck nature. No, not nature: the cult surrounding it. Nature is a great resource and we should appreciate and use it, but stop kissing its ass and thinking "more natural" always equals "better."

I'm tired of all the naturalist kale worshiping crowd crying that we can't have genetically modified food and designer babies and clones and all kinds of fun experimental shit because it'll definitely destroy us all. Well if we don't kill ourselves and just keep hanging off of mother nature's droopy old tit, mother nature will eventually do the job for us. We are a tick on the back of this planet, it is not our friend, it doesn't want the best for us - but WE do.

And yes, bad shit will happen and people will die but not EVERYONE will for fuck's sake. A lot of this shit is trial and error; we need to find out what's broken about it before we can even try to fix it, and if it kills us along the way, then you know what? Fuck it! At least we tried to grasp the future instead of burying our heads in the all natural sand and thinking we'd all be okay if we went back to the Garden of fucking Eden.

Sick and tired of all these allegories about mankind's hubris and how nature has the tastiest cock in the universe and if only we'd learn to love the taste everything would be A-OK! No, fuck that. Fuck the nature elves, fuck the smurfs, fuck the lorax; progress and invention CAN be the good guy in our story. We can dominate the dirt without dooming ourselves in the process. Everyone convinced otherwise can go to hell and take your all natural home grown cruelty free artisinal shit with you. You can't hold back progress forever.
>>
>>46462614
The things that are more likely to kill us aren't on earth anyway.

Things like meteors, gamma ray bursts, rogue planets / stars / black holes or human inventions like grey goo scenarios or nuclear war are all far more likely to off the entire planet compared to greenhouse gasses.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea to dump toxic gasses in the atmosphere still.
>>
>>46462896
Sure is fun though!
>>
>>46462614

It's 2016.
As a civilization we are the wealthiest that has ever existed. I walk around with direct access to more computing power in my pocket than existed in the entire world circa World War 2, less than a hundred years ago.

And yet people still just go around treating each other like shit. Human behavior never improves. Human nature never improves. Social Darwinism is just as blind as the normal kind. Evolution is not a ladder.
>>
>>46462365
>>46462387
Actually, it's just one of those "This is how the rest of /tg/ views you guys" kind of moments. Reddit HFY and /tg/ HFY are the same level of shit, it's just that the /tg/ HFYers don't like to gaze into the mirror.
>>
Has anybody read Larry Niven's Man Kzin War series?
Is it worth reading?
>>
File: HFYQuestionMark.png (218 KB, 1169x1254) Image search: [Google]
HFYQuestionMark.png
218 KB, 1169x1254
>>46457325
>>
>>46463440
/thread
>>
>>46463440
Hot.
>>
File: 1433455918481.png (339 KB, 660x320) Image search: [Google]
1433455918481.png
339 KB, 660x320
>all the alien lovers ITT
There is only one Commander, and Bradford (pbuh) is his Central Officer
https://youtu.be/x0WQOGVLLGw
VIGILO CONFIDO!
Kill the Vipers!
XCOM will liberate the world!
>>
>>46457325
>lefties

yeah go fuck yourself, chief
>>
>>46461848
>The actual fall of the eldar and birth of Slannesh was actually good for man: it ended the age of strife and allowed the great crusade to happen by clearing up all the warp storm
nigger It STARTED the age of strafe and CAUSED the warp storms
it also caused the first united human government to collapse
>>
For real tho wheres the alien poose at?
>>
>>46463180
I don't see why not treating each other like shit would be an improvement.
>>
File: monster musume-miia xcom.png (472 KB, 850x1206) Image search: [Google]
monster musume-miia xcom.png
472 KB, 850x1206
>>46463626
But anon, how can you say no to this? If it's because you prefer Cerea and/or Rachne, I can respect that.
>>
File: Elmosfatcawk.jpg (139 KB, 625x938) Image search: [Google]
Elmosfatcawk.jpg
139 KB, 625x938
>>46463626
Bradford ackbar!
Vigilo confido brother!
>>
File: 1449361034974.jpg (105 KB, 595x633) Image search: [Google]
1449361034974.jpg
105 KB, 595x633
>>46461351
>>46461499
>>46460137
>>46460617
Leftist policies are the only ones that even plan for a HFY future, imo

Seems like most right-leaning administrations and policies are more focused in the short term and tend to ignore problems that may in their own way prove fatal to the endurance of the human race

I cannot for the life of me understand someone who hates liberalism (at least in the US) and is also a proponent of space exploration, etc
>>
File: nwabudike morgan.png (202 KB, 298x356) Image search: [Google]
nwabudike morgan.png
202 KB, 298x356
>>46463757
>I cannot for the life of me understand someone who hates liberalism (at least in the US) and is also a proponent of space exploration, etc
>Implying governments are the only way to explore spess
>>
>>46463776
stowing away on a government-funded project like the parasite he ultimately is?
>>
Cmon guys this is about shanking xenos not your political views.
Or shagging xenos huehue
>>
>>46463776
>he thinks liberals are against corporate spaceflight
tiptop kikkity kek, well memed

nah, im implying that conservative politics in the united states are so damaging to both the earth itself, the human population, and extant economic systems that no one will be able to explore and colonize space, corporations or otherwise without a prohibitive degree of difficulty.
>>
>>46463897
I never said liberals opposed it, just that governments weren't the only route to space flight. I don't support either American political party because I disagree with their stances on other, non-space issues. But this isn't /pol/, so it's not the place for me to discuss my political views in detail.

>>46463825
>Implying Morgan Industries wasn't one of the project's corporate sponsors
>>
File: 1459806956679.png (380 KB, 660x320) Image search: [Google]
1459806956679.png
380 KB, 660x320
>>46463626
i tried, i actually didnt i was just bored
>>
File: 1268018561601.jpg (89 KB, 600x891) Image search: [Google]
1268018561601.jpg
89 KB, 600x891
So ambassador you ask me, what does it mean to be human? The feelings, taste sound? All of that can replicated. Long ago I could remember the wind against my skin, the smell of summer, and the heat all those feelings, things you call sensations that only living can feel. Yes that was long ago. How I wish to feel those again. Some of it was unpleasant but at least you knew you were live, not a copy of someone’s memories. But we’ve moved past that.
So why did it change? Power. Power to become stronger, to endure. At first we did it survive, then it evolved into a fashion. People with money could enjoy being stronger. Soon we were replacing what made us human. Why wouldn’t we?
We soon outstripped our humanity anything that we could once call human could replicated. So no wonder when the first galactic council races discovered they were horrified. They believed that the machines took over. But no, it was us, we chose this path. We can longer be described as human.
So ambassador what would you like to know about our current culture? We are called post humans.
>>
Just when you thought you had seen the lowest HFY could go...
>>
>all this bait
>on both sides
I want the needlessly antagonistic righties and self-hating lefties to die.
>>
>>46462614
>dirt
Soil, anon. It's soil.
>>
>>46465140
Your soil fagg
>>
I always preferred the inspirational HFY. The ones that showcase humanity's best qualities. Charity, compassion, empathy comma charity, compassion, empathy.

If I was at home I'd post them, but I'm on mobile so I can just describe them.

>How Xilaqueth Learned to breathe fire. About a young insectoid alien who gets beaten up by bullies then stumbles into a human in the marketplace. He describes his problem to the human comma and the human encourages him to not be afraid of the bullies. And the act of the human sharing one of his cigarettes with the young child it gives the child the courage to return home with the goods his family needs, despite the bullies wanting to rob him.

> I forget the specific name, but the story about Humanity banding together to create a half-dozen galaxy-spanning relief agencies and Aid charities. After one small group of aliens helps Humanity rebuild after a massive natural catastrophe, Humanity repaid that debt by traveling across the Galaxy helping absolutely everywhere they can get to.
>>
File: HFYDebt.jpg (261 KB, 1206x1134) Image search: [Google]
HFYDebt.jpg
261 KB, 1206x1134
>>46465176
>>
File: HFYDebt2.png (289 KB, 1636x1589) Image search: [Google]
HFYDebt2.png
289 KB, 1636x1589
>>46465792
>>
File: CulturalPerspectives.png (92 KB, 904x1024) Image search: [Google]
CulturalPerspectives.png
92 KB, 904x1024
>>46465823
>>
File: Loki.png (90 KB, 1850x750) Image search: [Google]
Loki.png
90 KB, 1850x750
>>46465888
>>
File: HFYForgive.jpg (218 KB, 1234x916) Image search: [Google]
HFYForgive.jpg
218 KB, 1234x916
>>46465910
>>
File: 40K.png (590 KB, 1319x3251) Image search: [Google]
40K.png
590 KB, 1319x3251
>>46465952
>>
File: AvatarAlternateInterpretation.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AvatarAlternateInterpretation.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>46465989
>>
File: HCuteY.jpg (754 KB, 1536x1688) Image search: [Google]
HCuteY.jpg
754 KB, 1536x1688
>>46466043
>>
File: HeavyWorld.png (87 KB, 854x455) Image search: [Google]
HeavyWorld.png
87 KB, 854x455
>>46466077
>>
>>46460137
And I'd say we're breeding generations of fall resistant children. Fuck this planet. Pollute the shit out of it, burn it, boil it break it. The sooner someone kicks over our sandcastle, the sooner we can look at the stars.
>>
File: HumanLibido.jpg (130 KB, 1003x365) Image search: [Google]
HumanLibido.jpg
130 KB, 1003x365
>>46466100
>>
>>46466043
>>
File: HAH.png (1 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
HAH.png
1 KB, 125x125
>>46466121
I giggled.
>>
>>46466077
> humans become space lolis
> xenos artists begin to draw a lot of humans
I would love to live in that age...maybe we would get some not shit smut.
>>
>>46466077

>>46460066
>>
>>46463271
Reddit HFY does have shit stories, but occasionally there are few that can be said to be decent.
>>
>>46459804
Stop creating and enjoying fiction that I don't like: The post
>>
>>46465888
I enjoy this one because it seems pretty believable. That's not even a HFY thing, it's just a regular thing. Whenever prosthetics reach that level we'll have people on both sides of the issue reacting similarly.
>>
File: tg in a nutshell.jpg (90 KB, 1009x407) Image search: [Google]
tg in a nutshell.jpg
90 KB, 1009x407
>>46466121
>>
>>46461767
1000 kinky sub cuttlefish. My god.
>>
>>46463757
The primary motivation of the US space program was a right-wing dick measuring contest with the Soviets.
>>
>>46464822
Abominable Intelligences GTFO.

In all seriousness, I don't see a reason to not be HFY. Most people like feeling good and HFY is about humans dominating their future. Of course, as with all good things, HFY is only good in moderation.

As for the above posters negative response to HFY, I honestly don't see the problem. You have a problem with HFY but don't have a problem with the endless elf threads? You actually enjoy people talking about how they want to be slaves to their alien mistresses more than how humanity will conquer the stars. Oh I believe HFY has some legitimate criticism (it darkly parallels colonialist fiction) but all your reasons thus far amount to "no more HFY can we please get back to discussing getting pegged by snake people."

>>46457325
>I'm sick and tired of lefties and hippies saying humans ruined the Earth
The Earth isn't ruined, we've just done thousands of years of damage to the climate in the span of a couple centuries. If we aren't careful, we could very likely cause our own extinction. We know perturbations in greenhouse gases have caused mass extinctions before. Even if you stubbornly refuse to believe in manmade climate change (i.e. you're retarded or social science major, same thing really), you should at least be concerned about that.

>>46463776
In the real world, governments create the demand for space exploration because Jimbo isn't really planning that far ahead.
>>
>>46466782
>stop spamming shitty off-topic wank
>>
>>46468726
>how they want to be slaves to their alien mistresses
>how humanity will conquer the stars.
>discussing getting pegged by snake people.

I want both. Dominated in the bedroom and my power fantasied being indulged everywhere else.
>>
>>46462614
God that movie sucked.
>>
>>46468726
>implying colonialism was bad
I mean, on the upside, there would likely be no blacks in America.
On the downside, Africa would still be a desolate wasteland devoid of all civilization, but this time we wouldn't have its resources/
>>
>>46468726
>governments create the demand for space exploration
So far, the only nongovernmental entities who have tried going to space have been Virgin Galactic, Elon Musk, and the guys who made Pocari Sweat. Corporate space is an underserved niche but one that has plenty of potential--when more corps see the opportunities to be had in space exploration and development, I'm sure the marketing will pick up as well.
>>
>>46469009
Even then, those guys are pretty much EO only at the moment.

As much as Musk likes to sperg out about it, not him nor any other private entity is likely to leave this rock anytime soon. Intrasolar exploration and development is likely to remain in the stead of governments for the forseeable future (until the private sector is built up enough to handle it), and then interstellar (if such a thing is possible), and so forth.
>>
File: Human Culture.png (99 KB, 1327x706) Image search: [Google]
Human Culture.png
99 KB, 1327x706
>>46460028

I've probably got a few more if you'd like them, I haven't looked through my HFY archive in a while though. Psure this is the one I'm thinking of, but it should suit your tastes regardless.
>>
File: humanmusic.jpg (547 KB, 1883x865) Image search: [Google]
humanmusic.jpg
547 KB, 1883x865
>>46469257
Dump please.
>>
File: humanmedicine.jpg (410 KB, 1880x673) Image search: [Google]
humanmedicine.jpg
410 KB, 1880x673
>>46469751
>>
File: space dragin.png (365 KB, 1264x3716) Image search: [Google]
space dragin.png
365 KB, 1264x3716
>>46469751

not cultural, but this is a thing
>>
File: space dragin 2.jpg (1 MB, 1890x3129) Image search: [Google]
space dragin 2.jpg
1 MB, 1890x3129
>>46469883

got anything in particular you're looking for out of this? I've got some time to look during the post delays.
>>
>>46468726
Artificial Intelligence, and transhumanism as a whole, is the ultimate HFY though.
>>
File: greatest tragedy.png (73 KB, 1897x743) Image search: [Google]
greatest tragedy.png
73 KB, 1897x743
this one's pretty great, not really human elitism so much as... shit, what if we're the first?
>>
File: Big Brothers.png (143 KB, 1614x828) Image search: [Google]
Big Brothers.png
143 KB, 1614x828
Another one in the same vein as my last.
>>
>>46469938
this desu lads.

Humanity is not a state of body, but a state of mind.
>>
File: finding our history.png (202 KB, 1915x687) Image search: [Google]
finding our history.png
202 KB, 1915x687
for all the faggot that think we're going to fuck up the earth.
>>
File: eclipse phase.png (35 KB, 1325x176) Image search: [Google]
eclipse phase.png
35 KB, 1325x176
>>46469938
you just won a trip to mars
>>
File: Gate builders.jpg (190 KB, 1252x602) Image search: [Google]
Gate builders.jpg
190 KB, 1252x602
>>
File: Friendship is Not Weakness.jpg (296 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
Friendship is Not Weakness.jpg
296 KB, 1000x1200
This'll be my last unless someone else actually posts something else HFY related, feels like I'm the only one here.
>>
File: Apollo11BadEnd.png (33 KB, 1258x402) Image search: [Google]
Apollo11BadEnd.png
33 KB, 1258x402
>>46470107
;_;7
>>
File: AFarersSacrement.png (83 KB, 598x1051) Image search: [Google]
AFarersSacrement.png
83 KB, 598x1051
>>46470336
We're all gonna make it bruhs, don't you worry.
We're all gonna make it.

On a related note.
http://strawpoll.me/7284185
>>
File: Shipwrecked.png (411 KB, 1249x3803) Image search: [Google]
Shipwrecked.png
411 KB, 1249x3803
3 parter coming in...
>>
File: Shipwrecked 2.png (561 KB, 1246x4533) Image search: [Google]
Shipwrecked 2.png
561 KB, 1246x4533
>>46470411

p2, wish 4chan wasn't so faggoty about the delay
>>
>>46464845
... fags like you show up.
>>
File: Shipwrecked 3.png (250 KB, 1253x1795) Image search: [Google]
Shipwrecked 3.png
250 KB, 1253x1795
>>46470437

and the conclusion! This one's not the best, but the initial request was for non-warfare stuff, and if we're being honest, that's like 80% of HFY, so
>>
>>46468726
I just want to be friends with weird aliens, why does so much HFY have to be about slaughtering and oppressing them
>>
>>46464957
but that would ruin the spectacle that is the internet
>>
>>46466121
Made me smile.
>SWIGGITY SWOOTY, I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY
>>
>>46470317
Your efforts are appreciated. I like HFY but it seems the threads come in bursts and I always end up catching the last thread of a burst. These ending threads aren't that good because usually they are full of people trying to start arguments as a means of keeping the thread alive. Though about bumping the thread: I choose to believe this because the alternative is these people are sincere and probably autistic as they can't stand people liking things they don't.
>>
>>46470559
Because the weird aliens might want to slaughter and opress us, and the name of the game of galactic warfare is the inverse golden rule.
"Do unto others as they would do unto you, and do it first"
>>
>>46470566
>they can't stand people liking things they don't.

It's not that. It's fags like you spamming off-topic shit on this board, especially when it's of such low quality.

Just stick to reddit, and stop trying to force this shit back here when it's clear that you have zero intention of actually discussing traditional games outside of bitching about any race that isn't human.
>>
>>46470631
>this guy again

>you have zero intention of actually discussing traditional games outside of bitching about any race that isn't human.
Those are some really nice implications there, dude.
>>
>>46470631
if its off topic, report it
>>
>>46470660
>>46470667

Eat my (You)s criminal scum! Advent 4 life!
>>
>>46470660
You've had years. What's come out of all these spammed threads aside from some of the worst writing that ever disgraced the face of /tg/?

/tg/ isn't really a place to have pride, but damn do you guys put a lot of shame here.
>>
>>46470686
Thanks for the (you)s, dude. Mind if I have some more?
>>
File: Lords of War.png (378 KB, 1024x1882) Image search: [Google]
Lords of War.png
378 KB, 1024x1882
>>46470559

Check the shit that's been posted litterally right above your post- I've been posting lots of cultural stuff all over the place. Should be up your alley. This one's warfare, but it's about Humanity teaming up with bird-people to fuck with someone, so eh? mix bag.

>>46470631

in what game? 3.PF I almost always play a human because they're broken as fuck and work well for literally every class, and the only reason not to is because the class/build you want has a race that fits it literally perfectly(IE racial bonuses all on point, negative on your dump, etc.) it's not worth losing the feat.

3.5 to a lesser extent, but still a little.

Right now I'm trying to get into 7th sea, which I believe is all human, but I'm not sure if I should wait until 2e comes out or not.
>>
>>46470697
It's really not spammed here. You can argue off-topic but you have a very low bar for what counts as spam if one of these showing up once or twice a week is spam.
>>
>>46470631
> It's fags like you spamming off-topic shit on this board, especially when it's of such low quality.

That must be it. That must be why any discussion of fantasy and scifi settings are contained to /tg/. IT also must be why this thread was deleted and all the other HFY threads and all the other threads where people discuss setting. You going full retard in a thread aimed at discussing the idea of first contact in scifi is in no way autistic.
Reevaluate your life.

>>46470667
If you really wanted to get into it >>46470631 is in violation of rule 3.
>>
>>46470779
>You can argue off-topic but you have a very low bar for what counts as spam if one of these showing up once or twice a week is spam.

Once every three days is certainly spam. Once a week? Also spam. Once a month? Yes, still spam.

How about we just measure by number of threads? 100+ offtopic threads? Does it really matter if its 101 or 102, or whether it's at weekly or biweekly intervals? It's bad spam by a small group that mistakes /tg/ as their personal blog.
>>
>>46470850

how about this- you get the questthreads off this fucking board and we'll have a discussion about HFY. There's a lot of crossover between these things and- gasp- that means we tend to see it here.
>>
>>46470850
Spam and off-topic are different things but a thread can be both at once. Spam refers to borderline flooding or just outright flooding the catalog. Once a month can't be spam.
>>
File: 1458372773462.png (402 KB, 1583x3162) Image search: [Google]
1458372773462.png
402 KB, 1583x3162
>>
>>46470901
Spam is more about just repetitive advertising, and that's really what this is. Once a month is certainly spam, especially when it's offtopic and has been repeated for years.

It's not like I can just say "Hey, check out my batman fanfiction!" here every month and it somehow wouldn't be spam. So, when you guys say "Hey, check out my human fanfiction!" or "Let's post human fanfiction!" here, regardless of intervals, it's still spam.
>>
>>46471038
Then fucking everything is advertising you retard.

>Hey, check out my elf scenario!
>Hey, check out my dwarf cannon!
>Hey, have you dudes seen this neato game yet!

Are you the same guy that gets pissy whenever an OP isn't explicitly related to traditional games?

>it's still spam
No, spam implies that the volume of threads is of such magnitude that it's adversely affecting the board as a whole. Knocking one dead general off page 10 isn't adversely affecting the board.
>>
>>46471146
Don't bother responding he clearly has brain problems, and his masturbatory posts alone are actually keeping the thread on the front page.

Just ignore the free bump posts.
>>
File: GVAy9Ug.png (9 KB, 150x135) Image search: [Google]
GVAy9Ug.png
9 KB, 150x135
>save energy guys. its for the planet
>makes everything electronic or digital and calls it "moving forward"
one of the few things i agree with the left on are on environmental issues. one of the things I dont look forward to is a cyberpunk reality where technology gives everyday live so many useless short cuts that we can't even fathom life without them. oh wait....
>>
>>46471146
>Knocking one dead general off page 10 isn't adversely affecting the board.

Knocking off several hundred though? All while presenting the idea that if you spam something long enough, regardless of what it is, you can continue to spam it in the future whenever you feel like it?
Imagine if everyone was as big of a faggot as you were, and just spammed their random offtopic shit here just because they wanted to spam it here at a later date as well.

There's a Reddit for you, and that's all you need. You don't need to spam your shit here anymore, and the fact that you've been doing it for years is appalling.
>>
>>46471357

again- what about quest threads? Are you in every quest thread on the board raising the same stink?
>>
>>46471357
>several hundred
Over the course of years, just like every other recurring thread. You act like this is somehow against the design nature of the site.
>>
>>46471328
Endless Space dealt with this to a more extreme end. No one labours, no one researches, a small few know how to create but everyone knows the can learn if they wanted to. The only thing people can really do is create art and consume. Its wonderful and horrifying at the same time, like the question are we alone in the universe.
>>
File: where's my cat.jpg (214 KB, 768x568) Image search: [Google]
where's my cat.jpg
214 KB, 768x568
just a silly random one
>>
>>46457325
>I'm sick and tired of lefties and hippes saying humans ruined the Earth and we should all get killed.
>Implying only lefties and hippies think that
I'm as right as you can get and I know we're on the path to fuck ourselves, and by god do I love it.
Cyberpunk future when
>>
>>46471716
Hopefully never.
Freedom for the sake of freedom at the cost of all else is just as horrid as security and prosperity for their own sake at the cost of all else.
>>
>>46471749
Come on, why don't you want the dark future of the 2Xth century?
>>
Humans are able to achieve so much because of our capacity for war. All of our greatest accomplishments were either built for the purpose of war, or were built with war as the main factor.
>>
>>46471937
Sure, but what's to say that we won't eventually have more catastrophic wars that end up with more cons than pros?
>>
I actually enjoy HFY, but I do kind of agree that the threads are spammy. Now hear me out- Look at this entire thread. The entire thing. How much OC do you see? 202 posts as of this writing and I don't see any original stories, or even discussion about settings, or even really hypothetical "where will we be in a century?" discussion. I see lots of screencaps, and while most of them are fun to read, that's not really OC, especially given most of them were capped off of 4chan meaning it's just regurgitated 4chan.

And when you think about it, what does HFY actually have to do with /tg/? Like I said, I enjoy it, but I don't enjoy it as a facet of traditional games; I enjoy it as its own thing. So overall I kind of have to agree.

HAVING SAID THAT, the mods don't delete these threads, and since the mods are the final say on whether something is allowed on a board or not I guess the continued existence of HFY threads means their allowed by a technicality if nothing else. You want to change that? Janitor applications are being accepted for the next ~48 hours. Apply at top of the page.
>>
>>46472010
Human ingenuity and resourcefulness shines bright in the face of adversity.
>>
>>46472097

Well, to be fair, the thread probably would have died before I ever showed up to dump a bunch of caps if assholes hadn't bloated half the posts with "I don't like HFY" and gotten an argument going. People arguing about this shit is doing more to keep it on the main page than HFY stuff is itself.
>>
File: the wall.png (128 KB, 1233x1223) Image search: [Google]
the wall.png
128 KB, 1233x1223
>>
File: What they were made for.png (347 KB, 1881x2150) Image search: [Google]
What they were made for.png
347 KB, 1881x2150
>>
>>46472216
Is this some faggoty version of reverse psychology?

Everyone knows that you would keep it bumped by just reposting these stories, regardless of how many people told you to fuck off. You alread know that it's pointless for you to be posting them since anyone who cares enough can just fuck off over to Reddit to read them, and that's assuming anyone would actually want to read them.
>>
>>46470411
>>46470437
>>46470474
Is there versions of this without the text cutoff?
>>
>>46472499

someone asked me to dump these, if you scroll up dumbass. And I've only been here for the second half. Again, if you want to complain, go work on the fucking quest threads first. Atleast there's enough of them to argue in favour of them getting their own board.

>>46472536

possibly, but I don't have it, sorry :/
>>
>>46461226
However they themselves were adapted to the changed environment, it was the other micro-organisms that experienced mass extinctions.
>>
I always find the ones about humans being smarter than other races especially stupid.

We know what a sentient species with generally sub-human intelligence or civilization looks like, and dolphins are not going to space anytime soon.
>>
>>46470919
Gay sex with an alien? Sign me up.
>>
>>46472622
It works if you think of humans as having a different thought process and paradigm due to biology and history.
>>
>>46472622
Oh yeah, also the ones about earthbound humans winning against aliens via reverse-engineering. In the real world, even with mostly uniform scientific knowledge, the most powerful governments in the planet with the best and brightest at their disposal struggle to reverse-engineer anything from members of their own species in their own time period even if it's small improvements to already existing designs they have full information on, never mind fucking alien technology that must be centuries more advanced than anything humanity has ever seen.
>>
File: 1459101340828.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459101340828.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
Question: Wouldn't there be some decent size difference with Aliums?

I know Earth is right at the limit of escapable gravity, so we might be the techno dwarfs of outer space. Wouldn't there be some 10 to 20 foot tall gene engineered Ayylmaos out there? Or miniscule ones that really can't make themselves all that big?
>>
>>46473015
Wouldn't it change our strength in a sense too? So on some worlds we'd be weeaboo wirefu tier and on others we'd feel like someone threw a sandbag on our backs. Goes for every species but which planets give you these benefits and downsides would vary.
>>
File: Colonel Quartrich.jpg (90 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Colonel Quartrich.jpg
90 KB, 1024x576
>>
>>46473015
>I know Earth is right at the limit of escapable gravity, so we might be the techno dwarfs of outer space.

How do you know this?
>>
>>46473015

Well, if you go by the idea that Earth is sitting somewhere in the average (law of averages, etc.), then it would stand to reason that aliens would be of a similar size to us.

The question of course, is whether we're an outlier or not.

>mfw giantess fetish is a thing among aliens
>mfw humans are giants in comparison
>>
>>46473236
As someone else I've heard it has something to do with the way lift scales with reaction mass, or something like that.
>>
File: 1459065762233.jpg (8 KB, 236x180) Image search: [Google]
1459065762233.jpg
8 KB, 236x180
>>46473236
>>46473271
Basically, gravity and air pressure and weight are pulling you down.

The force a rocket engine needs to put out, and the amount of fuel you need to use to keep it going, needs to exceed it.

Earth is at the point where a chemical rocket is still economically viable. Any higher gravity, and it would be extremely more expensive to reach space.

>>46473252
Stuff like that also reminds me of another thing. It's really hard to be an astronaut. Only people who really have the desire will want to go.

So only weird people will probably end up wanting to go to the mouse people planet. Humans might only be known for their /d/eviants and fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>46466043
>>46473167
Attributing those sentiments to that character is just dumb. This was a man who resented the inclusion of scientists on an expedition to the only known inhabited alien planet. He was just as close-minded and reactionary as any of the natives.
>>
>>46473236
Here you go, it's the image. >>46466100
>>
>>46473015
>Wouldn't there be some 10 to 20 foot tall gene engineered Ayylmaos out there? Or miniscule ones that really can't make themselves all that big?
If they're engineering themselves for space travel, they'd want to go small, not big. Smaller creatures take up less room on the ship, need less food and life support, etc.
>>
>>46463651
Sort of. The decadance of the eldar caused the warp storms yes, but as the anon said it was the culmination of that, the fall of the eldar and the birth of Slaanesh that sorted the warp storms out. Think of the warp storms as Slaanesh's birthing pains. Slaanesh's birth simultaneously formed the Eye of Terror and ended the warp storms that had plagued the galaxy up to its birth.
>>
>>46472732
This is a very good point. Advanced tech is built on an infrastructure of tools that make tools, that make tools, etc. Even if aliens came by and just handed us complete specifications for their starship, we still wouldn't be able to reproduce it anytime soon.
>>
File: earf.jpg (708 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
earf.jpg
708 KB, 2048x1152
Why do we always have focus on the part about us being destructive assholes?

Why not something nice? Like love of family and home? Something that lets you know what you're doing in worthwhile when you're being sucked out into the vacuum of space, wallowing on your own entrails in a muddy ditch in the ass end of space, getting torn apart by space bugs, or bargaining your's and the rest of the ironclad's crew's lives away for those of a steamer packed with refugees.

Like the kind of shit George Eliot speaks of:

>A human life, I think, should be well rooted in some spot of native land, where it may get the love of tender kinship for the face of earth, for the labours men go forth to, for the sounds and accents that haunt it, for whatever will give that early home a familiar unmistakeable difference amidst the future widening of knowledge: a spot where the definiteness of early memories may be inwrought with affection, and kindly acquaintance with all neighbours, even to the dogs and donkeys, may spread not by sentimental effort and reflection, but as a sweet habbit of the blood. At five years old, mortals are not prepared to be citizens of the world, to be stimulated by abstract nouns, to soar above preference into impartiality; and that prejudice in favour of milk with which we blindly begin, is a type of the way body and soul must get nourished at least for a time. The best introduction to astronomy is to think of the nightly heavens as a little lot of stars belonging to one's own homestead.

Here's a nice song about home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKQhQXuvqA

And Joshua Graham talking about family and tribe at 08:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34A-ODy9u1Y
>>
>>46473715
the exact opposite is true
it caused the damn warpstorms in the first place which in turn caused humanity to lose contact with each other as they were no longer capable of interstellar travel because of it

here have a quote from the wiki
"The restless souls of the dead Eldar caused the formation of terrible Warp Storms, which made interstellar travel extremely difficult in the physical realm (This was one of the factors that precipitated humanity's Age of Strife). A far worse effect, however, was that these souls began to somehow coalesce into a larger entity, a living, psychic embodiment of the corruption that had taken their lives. As more and more Eldar died to fuel the decadence and depravity of their society, this entity continued to grow, and the Warp storms continued to grow worse."

they caused a 10000 year shitfest in the galaxy that only died down because after 10000 fucking years it was running out of steam
>>
>>46461280
>HoI4
>Literally no reason to fight Germany since they're can't do anything morally objectionable
Thanks, Paradox.
>>
>>46474115
actually i was wrong
goddamn i'm confused
"The birth of Slaanesh had the side-effect of clearing the galaxy of the Warp Storms associated with the era immediately prior to its birth."
>>
>>46461497
>Hopefully, after medication and counseling, you'll realize that HFY is little more than an asinine writing prompt, and hardly a genre that actual writers are aware of.

Except the person you are insulting provided a well reasoned argument with reference to the books, and all you can offer is derision and an unwillingness to think.

>produces ideas that are actually detrimental to any game that dares to have more than a single race,

Wrong. The multiple Warhammer RPGs, 3:16, and doubtless other games I am unaware of stand testimony to your ignorance here.
>>
>>46473015
>>46466100
>>46473449
>>46473544
I'm not really convinced by the "fuel weight ratio means we are dorfs" argument. If real dwarfs from a higher gravity world made a space elevator and / or relied on electrical power rather than chemical fuel, then we would not be the most stout in the universe. It would be complicated for sure, but not impossible. Also it is still possible that on some other earth like planet something with size and strength, such as elephants, could be the first ones to develop sentience. However speaking of elephants since we can think of many creatures from earth than are better than humans in terms of specific physical attributes (such as the eyes of a mantis shrimp) and as such it is entirely possible that some species could be superior to humans in every conceivable way. Also as far as smaller and more lithe races are concerned, earth like planets might be inaccessible because of the gforce associated with living on them and leaving them. The same might be true of low gravity worlds for heavy worlders when you consider how real astronauts have the problem of pissing out their skeleton because of low gravity.

Basically I think aliens would come in all shapes, sizes, and durability. Also the stout would monopolize heavy worlds while the gracile would monopolize space. They could ignore each other but would necessarily have to cooperate in the interest of knowledge, profit, and peace. However to beings of a more middle of the road physiology the universe would be their oyster.
>>
>>46466782
More like Stop creating and enjoying shit fiction.
>>
>>46459805
>>46459804
HFY ain't all that bad
>>
>>46475994
Depends on what compare it to.
>>
>>46476021
True, and which HFY you use for the comparison.
But, having said that, my general opinion of most that I have found is that they tend to be decent. But I can't comment since most self defeatist/INSERT RACE X are better because fuck you things tend to irritate me.
>>
>>46475994
>>46476259
You just suffer from underexposure to quality writing, especially if you're digging around in HFY threads. Still, not traditional games.
>>
>>46476259
You didn't say what you're comparing it to.
>>
>>46473167
Fuck the Navi
>>
>>46476291
Sorry mate, but my library of legitimately published and successful books is quite extensive. (David Eddings, LOTR, Raymond E. Fiest, etc)

>>46476308
Who mentioned what I compare it to?
>>
>>46476339
>Who mentioned what I compare it to?
The last two posts you replied to.
>>
>>46476347
Said posts were about the quality, not case by case comparisons. Besides, I was not asked as to what I compare it to.
>>
>>46476339
Oh, so it's just shit taste then. My mistake.
>>
>>46476409
Each to their own.
>>
I can only wonder if OP is aware that the first wave of HFY was heavily associated with technoprogressism. In 09 these threads were always talking about how we need to toss aside old hatred and tribalism for the sake of collective achievement, all of humanity working together. That fits both the liberal AND the hippy description.

Probably not. /pol/ tends to be pretty good at ignoring that sort of thing.
>>
File: 1447530567525.png (199 KB, 376x302) Image search: [Google]
1447530567525.png
199 KB, 376x302
>>46476773
>progression of technology
>liberal

what?
>>
>>46476894
> talking about how we need to toss aside old hatred and tribalism for the sake of collective achievement, all of humanity working together.
That's a pretty collectivist/leftist viewpoint, anon.
>>
>>46476894
Excuse me for being an ausfag with little interest in politics, but isn't the political party in power largely irrelevant to science? The ruling party can't simply overrule or change the ethics committees.
>>
>>46476773
Classically progressive, maybe. but it's certainly not exclusively liberal, and DEFINITELY not hippy. There are more groups in the world than just hippies that want global unification, and you could make the same argument for imperialists.

>>46476929
Yes, but the ruling party can decide how much money goes to grants, stipends, RnD, and public agencies like NASA.
>>
>>46460872
Spinoff's?
>>
>>46477106
Imperialists are generally a lot less about "casting aside old hatred and uniting" and are more about "conquering everyone else and uniting"
>>
>>46477291
There are many ways to cast off old hatreds and unite, including doing so by force and invoking police action on who try to keep old tribal hatreds going beyond a level of friendly rivalry or banter.
>>
>>46460833
to ensure longterm survival of the human race? hell its as good as anything to do that the feeling that what you do has a "higher purpose" alone should be enough to drive some humans into space if the technology allows it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.