[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /tg/ I'm in the process of raising funds for a product
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: kick.jpg (10 KB, 640x75) Image search: [Google]
kick.jpg
10 KB, 640x75
Hello /tg/ I'm in the process of raising funds for a product launch and I want to know what you look for in a kickstarer.

What backer rewards do you like?
Personal credit rewards like getting your name in the book, little extras like dice bags, getting to name or design characters for the product? Play sessions with developers? Or do you just want the product and nothing fancy?

What information do you like included? Do you want to see how they plan to spend the money? A sneak peak of the content? Does the intro video need to be funny? Or well made? Does a video matter at all?

Do you have a policy against ever supporting kickstarter? And if so why.

Any imput would be really helpful.
>>
>>46454179
Depends on the product.
>>
>>46454221
This.
>>
>>46454179
If you include backer-only components, and they're not purely cosmetic ones like fancier pieces, I will never purchase your product.
>>
>>46454247
this tbqh famalam
>>
>>46454247
Definitely, a good point. I don't want to alienate someone who didn't catch the kickstarter.

And for those asking it's a Pathfinder supplement. But I'd also love to know thoughts about kickstarter's in general.
>>
>>46454221
>>46454179
But seriously though, you have to give us at least some vague idea what you're selling besides "/tg/ related."

Is it an RPG? Is it a boardgame? A cardgame? Dicegame? Are there miniatures involved? Is there character art involved?

Also if you want to hire someone for market research and campaign management, I'd be happy to drop an email.
>>
>>46454294
>Pathfinder supplement
Interest dead. Just shill yourself on the Paizo forums, and see if you can somehow get some good words from literally anyone that works there. Pathfaggots are morons with their money, so you're probably in for at least a decent cash cow.
>>
>>46454179
I like to see a KS campaign that looks professional and thought out.

Things that spring to mind:
1. Show the product. If you have a box designed, that should be the campaign image. If you have prototypes, show images or videos of them. Gameplay videos, etc.
2. KS campaign page should be detailed (sections for the world/setting/story/theme, the game, the rewards, the pledge levels, etc.).
3. I favor two kinds of reward types:
- The reward ladder model - $1 thank you pledge, $5 game credit / some digital crap (e.g. wallpaper), $XX product, $XX+YY product and some swag, etc. Top tiers should have stuff like helping design an X or having your face in the art.
- The base + add ons model - Two or three reward levels (usually $1 thank you, $XX base game, $XX+YY base game and expansion, $XX+YY+ZZ "deluxe edition" with some cosemtic swag. All other options should be add-ons. This should be the case
VERY FEW Kickstarters I've seen tried to mix the two approaches with success, it gets too confusing.
4. Have some limited (15-100) early-bird pledge levels. These help backers to decide "I will back this now" and not "I'll remember this for later". The latter back might forget about you (and even if not, it will make your project look like it's failing)
5. Take a huge buffer in time estimates. Seriously. Like 50% on top of each step of the way at least. Or you'll have raging fans getting angry and demanding refunds.
(cont.)
>>
>>46454361
Yeah, that's why I was reluctant to be specific about the product. I know Pathfinder isn't very well received here, and honestly if I could make enough money to do this as a job without relying on Pathfinder I would. But I'd still love to hear general opinions on kickstarters as well, even from people who don't like Pazio/pathfinder/3.5 in general.
>>
>>46454418
6. If you have content you want to drop, and the minimal funding goal is very reachable, prepare a stretch goal map. However, do not reveal all of it at once. Instead either reveal them one by one (any given time, there should be 3-4 unlocked goals known to the backers), or show a full-ish ladder with silouettes / hints ("$300k - new character!"). This keeps backers interested and makes them revisit your page.
- If you have payed add-ons, put some of them in the stretch goal ladder. While this seems counter-intuitive, adding $10 to an existing pledge is easier for a backer than choosing $210 over $200 (just an example)
7. Include (even if it's an expensive add-on or just a high reward level) some physical swag. Like a t-shirt, a statuette, something. People love swag.
>>
>>46454294
You'll be hard pressed to get many people to buy a pathfinder supplement without substantial physical-goods incentive. No one will bat an eye if you're not selling scenery and/or minis to go along with whatever lore you're trying to peddle.
>>
>>46454294
>Pathfinder supplement
>>46454418 / >>46454437 here: well shit, I though you were talking about making a game.

General advice I said might be relevant - but more true to your idea, here's some tips:
* Find similar projects (i.e. PF supplement, other RPG supplement) that succeeded and failed. Try to find common grounds and differences. Pay attention to:
- funding goal
- prices of pledge levels
- distribution methods
- rewards (physical maps? miniatures? custom dice?)
- coherency
- language
- theme and ideas / innovation
- graphic design of the campaign page (you have NO IDEA how much this is important)
- videos and other content
- stretch goals, if any
- due dates
- campaign length
- number of backer updates and their frequency
>>
>>46454422
It's not even the mild stigma you're fighting, it's that there are already dozens if not hundreds of PF supplements, free or otherwise. You need more than a campaign hook and pretty pictures for people to buy into it.
>>
>>46454495
Yeah it's a fiercly crowded market for sure. But between the open gaming liscence and the large market it's one of the best ways to get a start in the market. Eventually I want to branch out and make my own games, or maybee some contect for other, better, roleplaying games that allow third party content.
>>
I am probably in the minority but I prefer no-frills kickstarters. I don't get caught up in the "feeling like you're part of something special" circus and that kind of thing usually turns me off from a project.

No crackerjack prize style extras. Play with the developers or get inserted as a character in the game is stupid. Don't make any actual game content backer exclusive (you can just sell it in a pdf later or whatever).

Just have a solid game with interesting stretch goals that you need more money to complete, NOT things that feel like bonus prizes for people contributing more money.

Your video is a pitch for the product but also representative of your professionalism and your ability to produce something worthwhile. I want to feel like you have a good idea that you know you'll be able to deliver on.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.