[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Play MTG at Locals >Players shake hands, generally talk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: 1458107018315.jpg (91 KB, 548x618) Image search: [Google]
1458107018315.jpg
91 KB, 548x618
>Play MTG at Locals
>Players shake hands, generally talk about the game and other stuff, friendly competition
>Announce what they are playing, reveal cards when added to the hand, declare steps - good game practices.
>Other than >That Guy, most players are friendly towards new comers

>See people play Yugioh and Weeb Shorts at Locals
>Players do not talk, dead silent the most you get out of them is "Do you want a game?" "[Answer]" "Ok."
>Play cards like their opponents exactly what their deck does, get aggresive when ask to look at cards, takes steps (phases or whatever the fuck they are called) like they are optional to the game, shit talk about anyone that doesn't play a good deck.
>Seems like they have Superiority complexes, rejecting play with new comers.

Seriously the amount of converts from YGO to Mtg because they're assholes, is astounding.

Not an argument about the games, they both have pros and cons sure, and they both have >That Guy(s)

- but the key difference (IMO at least) is the players.

Why the hell do those guys even play if you're going to be this way?

It seems like an anti-community of players.

Picture semi-relevant.
>>
>>46452229
Yugioh fans are descended from children, so its logical that the only players for it are manchildren.

Magic on the other hand was mostly marketed towards teenagers and young adults and is a bit more mature in general. Though I find egotistical players are more common in MTG, especially in FLG aristocracy that is friends with the owners.

Its like a real life example of forum post wanking with your opinion shot down because the owner gives them a discount on the food.
>>
>>46452271

Tried to dance around it a bit, but yeah.

The more I look at Yugioh and realise how many people over the age of 25 play it scares me.

It's normally the teens that are aggressive, but I've seen the odd ~40 year old dude lose his shit because someone beat him.
>>
>>46452299
You are on /tg/, you don't need to dance around shit. I am pretty sure yugioh players know they are manchildren as well. Same is extended towards Pokemon. Nothing wrong with it, it just means you stay away from the store on Wednesdays because its 'Yugioh' day.
>>
>>46452271
>Yugioh fans are descended from children,

Dude, that's everyone. I don't think anyone's mothers gave birth to 40 year old men...
>>
>>46452362
By that I meant they started playing the game when they were a child. Not that at some point they were a child.
>>
>>46452299
The more games I play the more I realize that butthurt exists at every level of experience. I've seen a middle aged guy dribble a large drink because he lost a game of 40k. MTG does seem to have a comparatively relaxed community, though maybe it's just because MTG has a bigger community than most games, so the table flippers don't seem so common.
>>
>>46452229
I really don't get why Yu-gi-oh players don't explain what they're doing outside of the occasional one-word grunt.

I've seen children playing Yu-gi-oh that are better about explain what they're doing. Probably because they learned by watching the show where the characters explain everything a card does all the time.

Seriously, when most cards have a paragraph explaining how they work, you could at least take things a bit slower.
>>
I work at an LGS. I am biased against all card players of any TCG I have seen yet. Quitting this shitty job.
>>
I play yugi and most of the group seems pretty chill at games. Admittedly I'm a bit of a clown so I make every game fun and almost everyone has a good time. That being said the group always tend to play top tier decks so unless you play something competitive the games can be pretty one sided. For me and my old school blue eyes deck that means I rarely win but I still have fun and I am fairly decent so it's not to bad.
There used to be some stoner kids that played with "rogue" decks who for the most part were pretty cool but would get real salty about losing.
>>
File: buscemi.gif (1011 KB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
buscemi.gif
1011 KB, 400x226
I haven't played YGO in over 10 years. Is it still a big thing or is the player pool just full of the original players who never moved on?
>>
>>46452662
>Is it still a big thing or is the player pool just full of the original players who never moved on?

Latter, and it is still common.
>>
>>46452662
our group is a mixture
there are three guys who have played it since it came out, and the rests either joined up because the other card games died out or because it was the most common played in our local area
there is a Magic group but they are mainly up at the University and their numbers are always changing
>>
File: zANp0gG[1].png (472 KB, 533x1551) Image search: [Google]
zANp0gG[1].png
472 KB, 533x1551
>>46452425
>I really don't get why Yu-gi-oh players don't explain what they're doing outside of the occasional one-word grunt.
Especially considering the source material is based on overexplanation.
>>
>>46452229
>Play MTG at Locals
>Players shake hands, generally talk about the game and other stuff, friendly competition
>Announce what they are playing, reveal cards when added to the hand, declare steps - good game practices.
>Other than >That Guy, most players are friendly towards new comers

>See people play Memedern at Locals
>Players do not talk, dead silent the most you get out of them is "Do you want a game?" "[Answer]" "Ok."
>Play cards like their opponents exactly what their deck does, get aggresive when ask to look at cards, takes steps (phases or whatever the fuck they are called) like they are optional to the game, shit talk about anyone that doesn't play a good deck.
>Seems like they have Superiority complexes, rejecting play with new comers.
>>
>>46452696
I have never seen a more accurate image about a game ever.

>>46452754
My LGS modern players aren't too bad - We all play fun-er decks with still some relevancy (Zoo, Goblin Aggro, 4c, Gifts, All Answers, etc).

Standard players though, different story.
>>
>>46452772
>(Zoo, Goblin Aggro, 4c, Gifts, All Answers, etc).
>Some relevancy
top cuck
>>
File: artjim4.png (421 KB, 419x611) Image search: [Google]
artjim4.png
421 KB, 419x611
>>46452229
Most Yugioh players are chill if you stop playing against twelve year olds, get off dueling network.

Also all companies are bad, but where as Konami is shoot you you're dead bad, Wizards of the coast is you die slowly and painfully after ingesting a cyanide pill an hour later.

Yugioh is cheaper too if you're not a dumb fuck.
>Buy bootleg cards that LOOK Japanese.
>No one will argue otherwise cause people are stupid.
>Whole booster box for like six dollars.
>Alternaively just buy convincing English cards bootleg.
>Don't take them out of their plastic sleeves because "you don't want to damage them".

Magic bootleg is really hard to find.
Magic doesn't have a dueling network or YGO Pro because Wizards threatens everyone that tires it because as I said... people are stupid.

I'm now tempted to make a dueling network for magic just so Wizards sends me a flimsy cease and desist and I tell them to kindly fuck off before I plant a bomb under their building.

Watch nothing happen to me. The trick is me being motivated enough to code a Magic dueling network as the game itself sucks.
>>
>>46452837

>"I'm the Scrub and cannot appreciate authenticity' the post
>Obvious bait post

2/10 made me reply
>>
File: BootlegPokemonJimProfit.jpg (189 KB, 975x743) Image search: [Google]
BootlegPokemonJimProfit.jpg
189 KB, 975x743
>>46452331
>Same is extended toward Pokémon
>The one collectible card game that doesn't require a reverse mortgage or buying bootleg. (Though it's still fun too)
>The one collectible card game that is relatively balanced and admits power creep is real.
>The one collectible card game that can't really unleash broken combos because everything is turn based.
>The one card game with no rarity cucking and most holofoils are bait for children like MewTwo and Charizard, little to do with competitive gameplay.
>>
>>46452909
>Wigwag boxing, keep from dying

Amazing
>>
File: 1459415928478.png (25 KB, 228x239) Image search: [Google]
1459415928478.png
25 KB, 228x239
>>46452909
I was talking about the fanbase not the game you autist.
>>
>>46452909

To be fair, the powercreep is fucking insane right now. EX cards and MEGA-EX cards are cock-garglingly balls-deep insane. Nothing fucking compares atm. There are anti-ex decks running around but they really only counter specific EX cards and they sue their own EX cards anyway...

tldr: pokeman card game is shit right now. Really hope they fix that shit. Either remove EX or create more anti-ex cards to dissuade people from using only them.
>>
>>46452229
i dont think it's a given, but you most likely will get into mtg at 15+, YGO will probably be your first card game because you saw the show and mom bought you a starter deck for your birthday. So the people who go for MTG will be looking for a more mature crud, while the people who stay with YGO will probably either just like the game or be butthurt neckbeards living in denial. Im guessing you met the latter category
>>
>>46452754
Official Magic format chillness power rankings

1. EDH (multi)
2. Vintage
3. Legacy
4. EDH (French)
5. Pauper

*POWER GAP*

6. Sealed
7. Draft

*POWER GAP*

900001. Standard
90000000002. Memedern
>>
Every card game has man children. There was one guy at my last FLGS who I will forever remember as the guy who cried because someone killed him with moonglove extract. The judge tripfag has previously told a story about a guy who punched him over a game of magic.
>>
>>46452837
Xmage exists you dumb fuck
>>
>>46454500
This, or cockatrice, or gccg
>>
>>46454438
>EDH (Multi) that high
>Sealed and draft that low
Nah, bruh
>>
File: 1456582521460.jpg (9 KB, 296x299) Image search: [Google]
1456582521460.jpg
9 KB, 296x299
>>46452837
>Also all companies are bad, but where as Konami is shoot you you're dead bad, Wizards of the coast is you die slowly and painfully after ingesting a cyanide pill an hour later.
>I'm now tempted to make a dueling network for magic just so Wizards sends me a flimsy cease and desist and I tell them to kindly fuck off before I plant a bomb under their building.
>Yugioh is cheaper

An Hero or reconsider those hot opinions.

>>46454485
That's fucking extreme though, probably an Aspie or Auts.
>>
>>46454616
EDH is great when you find the right group or just play with friends because it's so goofy
>>
>>46452229
I work in schools and often try to set up gaming circles, as I feel it's a valid alternative to gangs roving in the schoolyard.
Now, with kids (elementary/middle school) a measure of assholishness is to be expected - after all, children are little pieces of shit most of the time.
That said, the culture that surrounds YGO is particularly bad. We had to break out fights all the time during YGO "tournaments" becuase a player wouldn't let his opponent read his cards. This is enormously stupid, but if you think about it, 90% of the drama in the cartoons rests in the plot twists of card's effects ("You didn't know that my uber-dragon is immune to four-star effects!"). Of course, this is a very bad thing to carry over the actual tables.
I'd rather play pokemon than that shit.
>>
>>46454438
>dem top spots
>Sealed behind power gap
>>
>>46452229
Yu-Gi-Oh has no pros. It's just who has the more rare card with higher numbers.
>>
>>46452463
Get a real job moron.
>>
>>46452424
Dude at a 40k tournament sent his girlfriend off to buy drinks so he could throw a tantrum during a game he was losing.
Shit was depressing.
>>
File: gugure-kokkuri-san-3.jpg (181 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
gugure-kokkuri-san-3.jpg
181 KB, 800x450
>>46454438

I dunno m8, Standard and Sealed are all I've played at my LGS, but it's pretty chill.

Sealed is probably the most laid back though. Everyone talks amongst each other and if you're interested in a particular card, people will trade generally.
>>
>>46452362
Technically "descended from" would mean that their ancestors are children, not that they themselves used to be children.
>>
>>46458826
>their ancestors are children
I mean it's technically true
>>
>>46458854
Well, it would be more accurate to say that their ancestors were children.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.