[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside, is there anything that makes Rune Priests different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (307 KB, 500x710) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
307 KB, 500x710
Memes aside, is there anything that makes Rune Priests different from standard Librarians? Does the usage of Fenrisian rune shamanism do anything? Are they safer than Librarians?
>>
>>46441298
Well, they're space wolves, so they're probably stronger, better, safer and wolfier than other space marines.
>>
>>46441366
you forgot dumber-but-in-pretend
>>
>>46441298
They can do everything Librarians do, but they're not psykers!
>>
>>46441298

"Memes aside,"

BOY!

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE?
>>
>>46441298
I've always wondered if the runes they use are like Eldar runes, in that they help them channel the warp a bit more safely.
>>
>>46444608
Yes, but I want an actual answer that isn't "lol yiffs," since I don't know much about Rune Priests. There's a reason why this thread isn't "Leman Russ did nothing wrong" or some shitpost OP like that.

>>46444636
If the wiki can be trusted as a source (which is sometimes dubious), it says,
>A Rune Priest's Power Armour is covered with Fenrisian runes and they wear rune-encrusted fangs as pendants and badges of their office. These runes are not purely decorative as they serve to channel and concentrate the Rune Priest's psychic powers.

So it sounds like they use it as a focus, but I don't know if it necessarily makes it safer or any different from another chapter's Librarian.
>>
>>46441298
They're like standard Librarians

But WOLFIER.
>>
>>46441298

They for one focus a lot on elemental sorcery, using their psyker powers, like the White Scars. It is safer than conventional Librarian practices due to their magic runes and the fact that they are only 'sipping' from the warp, not fully 'channeling it'.
>>
>>46441298
Their training and powers are more rooted in local practices - sort of like the White Scars Stormseers who are spiritual descendants of the stormseers who rode alongside Jaghatai Khan, and who still probably take many of their beliefs from tribal seers.
>>
>>46441366
Space Wolves are literally babies first Space Marine chapter

"Look guys! Their viking werewolves in space! Isn't it COOOOOOOOL?!"
>>
>>46441298
Going by the crunch, the Force Weapons used by the Space Wolves grant Adamantium Will so the Wolves have a bit of an edge in psychic/psychic combat. The Wolves also lose access to the Pyromancy discipline but gain the Tempestas discipline to compensate. Slightly better than a standard Librarian.
>>
>>46450416
They are cool. The problem is that viking stuff got overtaken by wolfs wolfing wolves
>>
>>46441298
>Memes aside, is there anything that makes Rune Priests different from standard Librarians?
It's Sorcery, meaning they use a ritualized means of manipulating the warp rather than channeling it. Doesn't matter though
>>
I figured it's the filtration process. I remember fantasy dwarfs doing rune magic which are basically pocket chunks of specific magic rather than just pure channeling.

I assume it works the same way. Difference between turning on the faucet to full and dropping ice cubes.
>>
Don't they have their own version of Techmarines too who aren't affiliated with the AdMech but don't get purged for being hereteks because of it because the space wolves are just that super special and unique?
>>
>>46451447
No, Iron Priests do their time in Mars too.
>>
>>46441298
they're straight up sorcerers, possibly safer than the average sorcerer, as big E didn't demand that they break up as part of the Edict of Nikaea, though that could've been Emps giving the wolves leeway due to their intended job
>>
Like others have said, the fact that they use runes and possibly other tribal practices may make them different from other Librarians, possibly able to use their powers more safely.

At the very least it has given them a psychic discipline that either no other Chapter or few could replicate.

>>46451399

Dwarfs view the Winds of Magic as fickle and by capturing them and binding them into runes their power seemingly becomes much more stable. Don't know how their rune magic stacks up compared to actually drawing on the Winds themselves.
>>
>>46451638
Last time I checked with fantasy, the dwarven runes are just as effective at holding magic, but it's restricted to the rule of 3 so no more than 3 runes can be placed otherwise the mcguffin explodes.
>>
>>46451771

Meant more powerwise, if a rune could be just as powerful as a spell fueled by drawing on the Winds themselves.
>>
>>46451888
On average it was said to be yes, but there's a finite cap on runes while channelers just can pump it out much as possible.
>>
>>46452098

That is what I was thinking
>>
>>46441298
In Scars, the Horus Heresy novel, it's established that the Rune Priests(And White Scars Stormseers) just draw the minimum amount of power necessary to achieve their ends. They just dip a toe, where full-on sorcery is what the Thousand Sons were doing. "Hey guyz! It's just an ocean! Dive right in!"

Sorcerors are focused on letting the warp in and drawing as much power as possible, where Stormseers and Rune Priests are focused on control and making the best use of what little they draw upon. I assume Librarians run the whole spectrum, depending on their chapter and their personality, but that's all I've got.
>>
>>46441298
They are heretic sorcerers who just can't admit it. Tzeentch has his tendrils firmly in the Space Wolves' mental orifices, hence the continued shift into wolfy mutation.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-03-21-49-04.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-03-21-49-04.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>46452451
Nobody cares about your opinion Magnus, get back to your tower to cry more.
>>
They are not ultramarines so they are not as good. I mean, could a rune priest duel the hivemind?
>>
>>46453418
He'd beat it in a drinking game
>>
>>46453653
yes, a drinking game when your body is capable of processing toxins at an advanced rate. Truly the only things they are good for.
>>
>>46441366
go away abnett, and write another shitty book that misses every point there is to miss.
>>
>>46454039
WOLF
>>
File: 1435168089984.png (56 KB, 529x275) Image search: [Google]
1435168089984.png
56 KB, 529x275
>>46452313
And yet manage powers like jaws of the world wolf. Its simply a result of someone working in gw wanting everything for their snowflake chapter, without giving anything in return.

You can all debate for days on this, but its the truth and kids leach onto that stuff.
>>
Anyone got the quote from Wolf King I think, where Russ just pretty much takes a big shit on Magnus and the 1KS, explaining why he was allowed to keep his librarians and Fagnus wasn't?
>>
>>46451376
imo its still cool
>>
>>46451447
No stop drinking the kool aid theyre the same
>>
>>46455647
>Magnus was a bastard. Magnus was a liar. Magnus would look you in the eye and lecture you while he blundered through the immaterium like a raging konungur. Hel, we always knew more than him- what to touch, what not. Our bone-rattlers knew more than him, There's intelligence, and there's hubris. I don't grieve for Magnus, not for a second

-The Wolf King
>>
I always assumed it was that Fenris had some strange Warp affinity.

But realistically I don't think there's any real reason other than writers being lazy and wanting to make slightly unique characters without putting much thought/effort behind it.

I think they're pretty cool regardless of what memetards say. Particularly the whole Norse Shaman theme they got.
>>
>>46441298
The deamon fears the Wolf.
>>
>>46455717
Magnus BTFO
>>
Runic magic in general seems safer,
>>
>>46447421
>what if the space wolves have always held true to the "no psychers" rule
>what if they made special artificier armour -- rune armour -- which is a totally-safe daot design granting its wearers psycher-like powers
>psyher amp armour
>>
>>46441298
Not really. Speaking as a veteran wolves player (from 3rd ed) this new bullshit about them being different is mostly that. The whole point of it was that Russ was willingly blind and hypocritical in his persecution of Magnus and that made Magnus' fall more sympathetic and made Russ' character better by giving him an interesting flaw. Functionally there's no difference, it's simply in the beliefs of the chapter. Rune priests suffer the same perils of the warp and consequences.

Originally the difference was that they practiced a more esoteric form of psychic sorcery, and were modeled on pagan shamans or literal priests going with the whole "Vikings in Space" theme. In the original fluff it was simply an aesthetic and fluff difference. The faggotry about them actually believing their shit was different is a recent thing
>>
i may be wrong but to me it always seemed like the runes were some kind of filter,
they draw from the warp and channel it through themselves but the runes filter it
which is why in A thousand Sons they talk about how their is no rune for power, but runes for strength. they never tried to augment what they were channelling by adding power to it, they were just trying to filter it so they got the stuff they needed, Ie summon a storm, they would have runes and psychic hoods to help them control it, but nothing to make it more stronger.
they also seemed to use the runes to channel the warp energy into something else that wasn't them. ie 1K Sons could use runes but preferred to get the direct warp to them, the wolf priests would instead put the divination warp juice into the runes.
1k sons would take it into themselves
wolf priests would put it into something else
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.