[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me everything you know about wizards, /tg/ All I really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1351736711244.gif (9 KB, 196x231) Image search: [Google]
1351736711244.gif
9 KB, 196x231
Tell me everything you know about wizards, /tg/

All I really know are the common tropes and I want to really know what makes a wizard
>>
>>46435465
Wizards can't cast any spell except for magic circle. All their spells are invisible extra dimensional ghosts which cast spells for them
>>
>>46435546
This is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE

Invisible extradimensional ghosts haven't been used to cast spells for generations! Modern wizards definitely don't need them.

That poster is LYING to you, OP!
>>
>>46435465
they're angels sent from valinor to help the people of middle-earth fight sauron
>>
They smell weird, got picked on a lot as a kid and are generally low in testosterone production. As a result, they never were attractive to the opposite sex and spent the better part of their teens and twenties playing video games and other escapism fantasy. They continue this for another 10 years and become a recluse to human society and spend their remaining spilling their remaining male vigor on cartoons drawings from the Far East
>>
>>46435465
In my mind, what separates wizards from from mages(sort of). sorcerers and shamans is that its essentially an exclusive club. You can't just say that you're a wizard. You have to be accepted into a group of wizards to be a wizard. Otherwise you're just another unwashed magic user.

Now it changes from setting to setting. In some cases, wizards are simply graduates of a college of wizards, in some cases they're ageless beings, and in other cases they're just chosen and made into wizards for prophetic reasons.

The advantage of being a wizard over a sorcerer/etc is the access they get to ancient texts and secret knowledge. Wizards know the most dangerous and oldest spells by wrote but also have enough cop on to never use them. By comparison, Sorcerers and shamans learn their magic from spirits and quests into long abandoned, cursed tombs(often the tomb of a wizard)

Most importantly though, wizards have bitchin' hats.
>>
>>46435646
I like this.
>>
>>46435646
Is it common to have the strongest/oldest wizard have the largest hat? Or is it all personal preference/style
>>
>>46435732
The strongest/oldest wizard doesn't necessarily have the biggest hat, but he most certainly has the one he likes most, probably the most comfortable one too.
>>
>>46435732
Not that anon, but I would assume it's like a gunfighter thing, where the larger hats mark you as a larger target for up-and-coming wizards. Having a big hat means you're powerful, but if you can't fend off your challengers, it's just a big KICK ME sign. Incompetent or insecure wizards have smaller hats to try and ward lol off rivals.
>>
>>46435784
It'd be an easy way for non-wizards to figure out how fucked they are, too.
>>
File: The Seclusium of Orphone.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Seclusium of Orphone.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46435465
here, read this
It's fucking awesome
>>
I met a wizard once.

It was awful.
>>
File: 1330721630283.png (605 KB, 918x4643) Image search: [Google]
1330721630283.png
605 KB, 918x4643
>>
>>46435465
Wizards are the academic magic users educated in big tower-colleges that commoners won't talk about without spitting on the ground and crossing themselves. No wizard ever formally graduates from these schools; they are traditionally expelled for being dangerously mad, complete their theses alone, and are then offered employment at the school after returning to show them, show them all.
>>
Made a tribal lizard wizard once who used arcane armor spec with bone medium armor. He used an earthbreaker az a weapon and his scrolls were bones with arcane runes carved into them. His arcane bond was a large carniverous lizard skull he wore as a helmet.

His spell dc wasnt too high so he did shit like enlarge person and haste before charging into combat with high str and a fuckhuge weapon. Shame that campaign didnt last too long. Was looking forward to a quicken spell metamagic rod for shield so he wasnt so squishy with that wizard HD.
>>
>>46438142
Wizard colleges have ornate, individualized expulsion ceremonies wherein each undergrad is made to feel as though he's being ostracized for his own unique flavor of insanity.

Naturally, wizard schools are quite secretive about their graduation rates. The documents necessary to determine it are locked at the bottom floor of a deep and deadly dungeon.
>>
Are all wizard researchers, or is there an underclass of wizards who do all the real work while the Archmages research all day? Is mastering the art of fireballs considered a martial art or is a matter of research and wisdom?
>>
Heretics tearing at the fragile constant that is Reality and threaten the very existence of the world. The Gods of Truth, Duty, and Destiny demand their annihilation, no matter where they are found.
>>
>>46438405
I would think each wizard has an apprentice/assistant that is magical capable but not technically a wizard for whatever reason that does most of the heavy lifting
>>
>>46438405
Given that you almost never see wizard-scientists actually produce anything worth mentioning, and they instead just make monsters that get loose and murder their creators? I'm convinced that the whole 'research' thing is just a scheme so they can use monsters for assisted suicide.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.