[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wizkids is putting out a 28mm Heroic scale, pre-primed plast
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 720x720
Wizkids is putting out a 28mm Heroic scale, pre-primed plastic 160 figure, generic fantasy miniature line in Q4 2016. MSRP is $3-$4 USD per figure. I assume these will be PVC like bones to keep material costs form. I'm intrigued completion with Reaper is s good thing.

http://wizkids.com/blog/2016/03/28/see-what-you-missed-at-the-2016-gama-trade-show/
>>
Pre-primed? Either they're gonna have to put a lot of work into the mould lines, or that's going to be somewhat undone work.

The render looks ok I guess, but renders aren't worth much. Proof's in the polymer.
>>
here is the press release:

Hillside, NJ — March 16, 2016 – Leading board game and collectible miniatures creator WizKids today announced a brand new line of unpainted miniatures, featuring more than 150 unique fantasy sculpts, set to be released in Q4 2016.
The collection will include iconic characters, creatures, and even scene-building elements, all available in three types of specialty packs that will each contain a variety of sculpts:

Hero Packs will contain both a low-level and high-level sculpt of the same featured character.
Designed with army-building in mind, Monster Packs will contain 1-3 miniatures with different poses of a single monster.
Item Packs will contain scenery and items for detailing adventures.
The highly detailed miniatures feature an enhanced sculpting process, which highlights minute elements, and includes deep cut surface detail and scaled features for easier hand painting. They also come in dynamic and exciting poses, are pre-primed with Acrylicos Vallejo paint, and are ready to go directly out of the box. Customize the look and feel of your characters and campaign like never before.

The new line is set to launch in late 2016 and will be available at friendly local game stores world-wide.
>>
I did have trouble getting paint to stick to Reaper Bones even after washing in hot soapy water. I had to do an ink wash or gesso on them before I could get paint to adhere properly. Spray primer never seems to set up 100% dry on Bones either.
>>
File: 565.jpg (41 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
565.jpg
41 KB, 600x451
>>46435431
>Wizkids
>Heroic scale
>pre-primed
>PVC like bones

We can't get anything lower.
>>
>>46436353
>The highly detailed miniatures feature an enhanced sculpting process, which highlights minute elements, and includes deep cut surface detail and scaled features for easier hand painting.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 807x537) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 807x537
What is this orange stuff are these the orginal sculpts?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2964x1773) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2964x1773
Flimsy floppy weapons?
>>
>>46436353
>>46435431
Honestly this is like the ONE thing they can't fuck up.
>>
>>46438529
>>46438846
Assuming these are 3d prints of the renders.

Waiting to see how these will turn out.
At that price point, they might provide a decent option even if they're not top-tier quality.

At the very least, it might be an easy buy to get someone started on painting.
>>
>>46439017

The consensus is that the miniature companies are courting younger kids now. Exhibit: A. GW's new snap together 40k miniatures

One piece pre primed means the kids can start slopping on unthinned acrylic paint no dangerous spray primer, super glue or exact knives.
>>
Options other than Bones are always nice, I love collecting hero minis and these ones look solid. Pre-primed fucking sucks though, hopefully we can strip it off or something. Ech.
>>
>>46439083

That's good i want the hobby to grow. The PVC material has shown itself to have excerpt able for terrain and bigger monsters.

I'll be surprised if WizKids doesn't tie this into a game you can play with them.
>>
>>46439130

Yes I'll paint them regardless but it would be nice to have control of primer. It is vallejo primer so that is something that a reputable company was willing to sign on using thier brand name.
>>
Cautious Optimism intensifies
>>
Here is a brief Q&A from the WizKids Facebook page:

Q: Will these be new sculpts or just unpainted Pathfinder/D&D mini’s?
A: New sculpts!

Q: Will these be for 1.5” squares (HeroClix) or 1.0” squares (D&D)?
A: They are for 1″ Squares, these are for Fantasy Role Playing Games

Q: What kind of scenery will the “Item Packs” contain? Will it be barrels, chairs, tables. Like the Rusty Dragon Inn? Or will we also be getting stuff like trees, pillars, rock formations et.c.?
A: Yes! We’ll start out slowly but everything you mention is on the table (pun intended)

Q: for what game?
A: These are for Fantasy Role Playing Games

Source: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/18/wizkids-unveils-new-unpainted-miniatures-line-for-late-2016/
>>
>>46439741
Scenery packs are always welcome. Especially since these will probably be more affordable.
>>
>>46439163
Were you trying for "acceptable"?
>>
>>46440646

Yes autocorrect is a harsh mistress.
>>
>>46438846

The Dwarf w/ axe Left doesn't look bad nor does t he bow center the elf rights sword is limp. The bases look thin and easy to topple. I'd like to see a beefier base.
>>
File: leveled-up.jpg (179 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
leveled-up.jpg
179 KB, 720x720
The leveled up heroes in a neat concept and these are inexpensive enough that I am willing to buy a few to paint up.
>>
>>46445330

Yea the idea of getting miniatures that level up with your character is really cool. I think it would be great if they eventually do 'expanded level packs' chronicling a character's life from 1-15 or something. Hopefully they do more with it down the line.
>>
>>46435431
>generic fantasy

Yeah, sure, like we need more of that shitting up the scene.
>>
>>46435431

>wizkids

nooooobody cares.
whatever it is they'll find a way to ruin it.
>>
>>46439741
>Q: Will these be new sculpts or just unpainted Pathfinder/D&D mini’s?
>A: New sculpts!

translation:
>A: We had some shit left over from other projects and we can save 5% on our artist overhead by producing it
>>
>>46435431

I'm skeptical, but I'll wait for the release and maybe a couple months after the fact to pass judgement. Mostly out of apathy but also because I would like another supplier in my links for miniatures.
>>
>>46447669
>>46445330
I think there was a small company a while back that had three packs with scrub-tier, OK-tier and high-tier models. No idea what name though
>>
>>46448098
KD:M does that, sort of... well, it's more like equipment packs like a vydia
>>
>>46435653
I had no broblems painting them... I just used vallejo colours on them without any primer...
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.