[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Bismuth is the most Lawful of the elements/ minerals What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13
File: n23-566d.jpg (200 KB, 672x594) Image search: [Google]
n23-566d.jpg
200 KB, 672x594
>Bismuth is the most Lawful of the elements/ minerals

What is the most chaotic?
>>
>>46430754
Probably one of those recently discovered elements that is so unstable that it lasts fractions of a second and can only be found in a laboratory.
>>
>>46430754
Nitrogen, maybe? Seeing how it's responsible for so many explosives.
>>
>>46430779
>nitrogen
>explosive

I think you're about 6 protons off.
>>
>>46430795
I don't understand. Six protons up is aluminum, six protons down is hydrogen. Neither are particularly explosive compared to nitrogen-based compounds. What are you talking about?
>>
gold. its the root of all evil
>>
>>46430833
That's on a completely different axis from chaos.
>>
>>46430833

chaos, not evil. Du you not know your periodic table of morality?
>>
>>46430833
I remember that in Pournelle and Niven's fantasy stuff, raw gold is full of wild magic. Wizards can charge off of it in low-mana areas, but it renders their spells unstable.
>>
>>46430754
The element of surprise.
>>
>>46430824
>what are atomic bombs
>>
>>46430754
Hydrogen or sulfur since they break some of the fundamental rules of chemistry
>>
sodium since its highly reactive with other elements
>>
>>46430754
Ceasium?
>>
>No one has said mercury
It's even a byword for flighty or erratic.
>>
>>46430774
Fermium is the only thing I could find with both no known crystal structure and which occurs naturally in the earth. Although it's half life is so short you're unlikely to find any.
>>
>>46430968
Mercury strikes me as Chaotic Neutral.
>>
File: s7s.jpg (8 KB, 228x228) Image search: [Google]
s7s.jpg
8 KB, 228x228
>>46430754
>>
>>46430978

Well chaos, with no leanings toward good or evil is pure chaos... ish. So Mercury is technically what OP is looking for.
>>
>>46431000
Well, I figure Chaotic Neutral because mercury is an uncooperative dangerous asshole.
>>
>>46430754
ALSO BISMUTH
>it begins
>>
File: tumblr_n10m0gTZIc1qjyqixo2_1280.png (781 KB, 900x828) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n10m0gTZIc1qjyqixo2_1280.png
781 KB, 900x828
>>46431052

I can arguments for both sides, and eventually they decide that Bismuth's alignment doesnt matter and instead they agree that Bismuth has a Fukking Cool Aestetic. (Especially law oriented creatures. )
>>
File: 00003-2.jpg (121 KB, 1000x1100) Image search: [Google]
00003-2.jpg
121 KB, 1000x1100
>>46430862
>Discovered and used by Japanese scientists in 1941
>>
>>46430754
Either sodium or potassium or lithium or all of the three forming a league because they have explosive and instable proprieties
>>
>>46430754
FOOF?
>>
>>46430891
Ignited by conventional nitrogen-based explosives?
>>
>>46430944
>>46432009

How 'bout francium which is way more reactive than Na/K/Li plus is radioactive.

It's like you don't understand groups on the periodic table
>>
>>46432708
Meanwhile helium atoms are so adamant about doing their own thing that they won't even associate with their own kind.

>>46432429
Not ignited, assembled. Because that's the only way to do the last assembly step fast and assertively enough enough that the damn thing won't tear itself apart before it can do what you want it to.
>>
>>46430774
Radioactivity is so regular and predictable though that it arguably swings back to lawful.
>>
File: Konosuba-1.jpg (407 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Konosuba-1.jpg
407 KB, 1280x720
>>46430795
>>46430779

Oh my god the air is made up of 78% potential explosions...
>>
>>46430754

Also probably Fluorine. Bitch reacts with EVERYTHING.
>>
>>46432874
Yeah, I would buy that.

I think >>46430976 wins for no measured crystal structure
>>
>>46432918
Why is reactivity or ionic potential = chaos?
>>
>>46432933
Not that guy, but reaction means change and change is pretty much chaos.

I was also about to just google "most reactive element" for this thread. So I gotta agree with Fluorine
>>
>>46432933

Seems a good a measurement as anything else. Fluorine labs are also terrifying, one of our university Profs used to work in one and reference it a times, they had to have a bunker for hiding behind in the lab in case there was too violent a reaction and they had to take cover.
>>
>>46432950

Oh yeah, glad those three years of science degree wasn't a waste of thousands monies.
>>
>>46432980
Well, I think that is not the only thing you learned.
At least I hope so.
I think I might take some Chemestry course with hopefully some lab experimentation, to learn how to do some stuff for !FUN! this upcoming semester.
>>
>>46430954
And Desistium.
>>
File: 1316192933613.png (230 KB, 543x453) Image search: [Google]
1316192933613.png
230 KB, 543x453
>>46433232
>>
>>46430779
>>46432895

Y'all failed high school chemistry. Nitrogen is highly unreactive; it takes a lot of energy input to create any kind of compound with it. It's the Nitrogen compounds that are explosive, as the energy applied to create them is released when they are broken down.
>>
Francium
>>
>>46432962
>>46432950
>>46432933
>>46432918

Here's a list of some things that will cause certain fluorine derived substances to violently explode.

1. Anything.
2. Nothing.
>>
File: lightmortar.gif (2 MB, 395x298) Image search: [Google]
lightmortar.gif
2 MB, 395x298
>>46432874
Plus Bismuth itself is [very weakly] radioactive

>>46432950
>>46430976
Interesting implication is that elemental alignment is temperature dependent. You get it cold enough everything will crystallize and become highly ordered, heat it to a gas or plasma and it's totally random.

>>46432962
I worked a bit with hydrofluoric acid in the past. Fluorine is spooky stuff.

>>46433034
It wont let me post a direct link, but search for explosives on eight ch /k/
>>
>>46433267
Plus, we're talking about elements, not molecules. You might be able to pass off a nitrogen dimer but that's still a molecule.
>>
>>46433034
>Chemistry course
>learn how to do some stuff for !FUN!
Good luck with that, 90% of the teacher's job is making damn well sure that nothing FUN ever happens during or after the chemistry classes.

You'll have an easier time asking /b/ for manuals and hoping you don't end up with one redacted by the CIA specifically to kill terrorist wannabes in garage explosions. Or with the CIA itself in your garage.
>>
>>46433501
Well the course was more meant to be an entry point in how to actually do chemical reactions and shit. From there I'd extrapolate what I've learned during that course to try to do FUN stuff.
Of course they won't teach outright how to make explosives, but they provide the knowledge how to learn it for yourself better.

I'm currently looking at 8ch /k/ like that other anon suggested.
>>
>>46432918
Chaos aligned is what Op is looking for not tumblr aligned.
>>
>>46430754
Noble gasses are lawful

Carbon is chaotic
>>
>>46433747
Diamond, graphite, fulleren and graphene disagree with you. Such precise structure.
>>
>>46433544
Honestly, it's rather boring from a chemist's point of view. The chemistry of explosives tends to be very straightforward:
>add nitrous acid of unreasonable purity to something organic
>add peroxides of unreasonable purity to something organic
>mix (most) metal oxyde powder with aluminium powder
And it's done. Now, what you got is probably unstable as fuck and, depending on the quantities involved, you're possibly dead. Avoiding that last step is where most of the fun is.

Like, the guys at the Paris attacks apparently used TATP, which is easier to make than most easy kitchen recipes. Must have taken some real balls of steels (and collision avoidance skills) to wear that around the town though, because its sensibility to just about everything is measured on the ACME scale.

Anyway, my point is: whatever you do, be really careful about it, don't get excited and don't end up at Guantanamo.
>>
File: s15s.jpg (485 KB, 1782x1782) Image search: [Google]
s15s.jpg
485 KB, 1782x1782
>>46430774
Bismuth like the the OP can only be found in a laboratory.

Natural bismuth is less sexy.
>>
>>46433876
>he doesn't get his bismuth from Zendikar
>>
File: 1444501134634.jpg (13 KB, 243x311) Image search: [Google]
1444501134634.jpg
13 KB, 243x311
>>46433885
I get my bismuth from Germany.
>>
>>46433858
>be really careful about it
Yeah, that's why I want to take a course of chemistry beforehand, so that I know what I'm doing ... at least better than when I just read some manuals or something.

I also might end up dropping the idea of explosives and do something with drugs. Mescaline extraction is probably relatively easy to start with at that front I think.
>>
>>46433747
Carbon is neutral. It can be so many different things -- coal, diamonds, graphite, organic flesh, buckyballs, nanotubes...
>>
>>46433858
Some fun chemistry reading:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151006023749/http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/things_i_wont_work_with/
>>
File: as the man says.png (15 KB, 376x74) Image search: [Google]
as the man says.png
15 KB, 376x74
Look, I don't really have much of a definitive answer, but I can say that the idea that reactivity implies chaos is pretty weird.

Fluorine, as we know, reacts with pretty much anything – but there's a catch. With metals, it'll make a fluoride, which tends to be incredibly STABLE. When it's covalently bonded to other non-metals it's still incredibly stable. Fluorine doesn't like being fluorine, it likes being fluoride or fluorine-something-with-something-else. Fluorine's just really lonely, honestly, and wants someone else to spend its time with.

I would put something like helium for law, not bismuth. Why? Helium is a gas, doesn't react with anything we know, and has an incredibly stable nucleus. This means that it will literally stay as helium pretty much all the time, and it'll never do something weird. Granted, that superfluid stuff IS weird, but we'll ignore that because it's at such a low temperature it really doesn't factor into D&D-esque universes at all. Plus, who wants to make mechanics for superfluids?!

For solids, something like carbon is good. It makes very nice, structured allotropes, and is pretty happy to be the building block (hence order) of life and all of organic chemistry. Metals like iron are good, too, because they're normal. It's moderately reactive, but quite easily made pure again. It follows a few standard rules, and otherwise is more or less sensible. If you want 'law' to be 'doesn't do shit' then platinum is your desire. Tungsten is pretty good, too, because of its high melting point. Gonna stay solid for as long as it matters.

Chaos, as I said, should not be reactivity. A low reactivity may be good for law, but too much of it is lawful. Fluorine will almost ALWAYS react with whatever is around it, and will stay that way. That's pretty lawful. It makes a decision and sticks with it.
>>
>>46433994
Chaotic elements would be something that is hard to handle, and does things spontaneously (as in, without much reason or forewarning). Something like cerium: scratch it with your fingernail and it will burst into sparks. Pyrophoric metals are cool things, right?

Mercury and bromine are both liquids, which is weird because liquids ARE weird in general (compared with solids and gases). Bromine very easily turns into a gas, or back into a solid, depending on the ambient temperature. However, because it's a halogen it'll follow some similar reactions as fluorine (with a lesser gusto), so perhaps it's not wholly ideal. Mercury is still very weird, though.

Go one down and you get iodine, though. Iodine is just a solid, yay, except it sublimates directly to a gas. A purple gas. What's more, because of its low reactivity, despite being a halogen it usually is the odd one out in terms of trends. It messes things up. Its compounds are weird, and it can't really decide whether it wants to react like the rest of its halogen friends, or stay as the grey solid it is. Plus, because iodine is a comparatively massive atom, you've got all the electrostatic forces being messed up. Yet it's essential for life. But too much will very easily kill you. Neat, huh?

Caesium follows the same trend as fluorine: doesn't like to be alone, so will never separate once in a salt. I guess electrolysis will do that, but not in your high fantasy world. For metals, besides mercury there's things like terbium. Terbium is a lanthanide, and, as all lanthanides are, terbium is weird. Terbium stretches and changes shape in a magnetic field. And since controlling magnetic fields in high fantasy is incredibly difficult (magic is only ever vague; it's not specific enough to control the spin of every electron), you've got a metal that randomly shifts and morphs. Granted, it's only by a few millimetres per kilogram, but the concept remains.
>>
>>46434089
In fact, the lanthanides in general are so different from other elements, but so similar to each other, they were sold as 'mischmetal' for a number of decades before separation techniques were developed. Mischmetal was literally whatever came out of the mine. The alloy itself had roughly the same qualities due to the chaotic mix, but by its very nature was chaotic enough that each clump of mischmetal would always be different in terms of composition.

Otherwise, something like vanadium would just do. It has five oxidations states that have 5 different colours and can change between them very easily. So you've got a rather chaotic element there, as it goes.

Lastly, I'd say something about boron. Boron is one of those strange elements that is just being really investigated. It's sort of a non-metal like its friends on the right-hand-side of the periodic table, but not quite. Several of its compounds form metallic structures, which is downright weird. Single-layer boron is a superconductor at relatively high temperatures. Boron on its own looks like a cheat grey metal-y thing, and is very resistive to reacting with anything. But change its structure and suddenly you've opened up a whole group of weird compounds. It can be found in detergents, cosmetics, bouncy balls, fibreglass, insecticides, magnets, and a whole range of other things. One group of its compounds are non-toxic, others are mildly toxic, others are highly toxic and flammable, etc. It has so many contradictory characteristics depending on where it's found that it is, in my mind, one of the most 'chaotic' elements. It's also one of the rarest elements in the universe before the limit of fusion (iron).

So there's my take on it all.
>>
>>46433501
Really the best opportunity for chemics shenanigans was if you had a lax teacher in highschool.

Mine for example made the mistake of assuming 18 year old people with years of practical expierience were reasonable in the use of dangerous substance. So for the practical part of our two year project he would let us have access to the lab while doing paperwork in the other room.

So one day the two fuckwits working next to me decided to set a bar of magnesium on fire, and then tried to hide it under a pile of paper. I poured some boiling ethanol with sulfiric acid on a wound after being distracted by the flash, but the face of my teacher was simply priceless when one of the guys asked for the liquid nitrogen to put out the fire.
>>
>>46430754
Chlorine
Sodium
Iodine
Radon
Literally any elemental gas
>>
>>46433994
>It follows a few standard rules, and otherwise is more or less sensible.

Two or three (we can't even decide how many) stable allotropes on its own, and if you happen to slip in a touch of carbon? Oh boy, shit gets complex fast.
>>
>>46435485
>radon
>chaotic inert gas
>>
>>46430754

Oxygen, I'd say.

But then again we're ascribing the D&D alignment system, which can't even do its own job, to elements which really don't have any rhyme or reason to them.
>>
>>46433876
>natural bismuth is less sexy
Your kind is not welcome here.
>>
>>46430982
Nailed it.
>>
Oxygen
>>
>>46430754
Nah, bismuth is the most EDGYest.
>>
>>46435485
Eh, the noble gasses don't react until under extreme duress, which points more to lawful neutral
>>
File: veze6aze.jpg (35 KB, 1024x796) Image search: [Google]
veze6aze.jpg
35 KB, 1024x796
>>46430754
Willy pete.
>>
File: 1459581047965.jpg (26 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1459581047965.jpg
26 KB, 480x480
>>46430862
>>
>>46430754
Gonna have to say mercury.
>>
Oh God, not the Eldrazi, not the Eldrazi! Get it out of here!
>>
>>46432299
Fluorine is specifically CE.
>>
All baryonic matter on the universe desires to be iron. If the proton does not decay all the matter in the universe will slowly become iron due quantum tunneling an eternity after the stars and galaxy are gone.
>>
What about Bismuth made of anti-matter. Anti-Bismuth?
>>
>>46433747
if noble gasse were lawful, would halogens and alkali metals be chaotic?
>>
File: uSH7FgN (1).png (8 KB, 457x394) Image search: [Google]
uSH7FgN (1).png
8 KB, 457x394
>>
>>46430754
Traditionally, mercury, which has always represented volatility and changeability. (See "mercurial", adj.)
>>
>>46430982
This.
Its a metal that is a liquid at room temperatures, and is incredibly deadly. Has been around forever and is tolerated, but we are constantly warned of its dangers. In some forms (namely CH2Hg2) even the smallest droplet can be lethal.
>>
I feel the most chaotic element would be one that is reactive enough to readily form compounds with others, but not so reactive as to become super locked in once it has.

Now there are a few metals that fit that criteria I think, but in D&D metals are quite strongly associated with law so honestly, I think oxygen is probably the best candidate
>>
>>46444306
Any of the diatomic 7 would work well, in that case.
>>
>>46430922
Like which ones ?
>>
>>46444986
The 8 electron rule, primarily. However, if you study more Chemistry you learn a lot about orbital shells, making it so you don't worry about that rule that doesn't even work.
>>
>>46437066
nah that's evil not chaos
>>
>>46430891
You might be a retard dude.
>>
>>46430824
hydrogen burns crazy well tho

its the most efficient fuel for fires iirc

and with a PEM you can make it even more efficient
>>
>>46430754
Fluorine.
>Prove me wrong
>you can't
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.