[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be the best class for a Hamon user in 5th edition?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: johnathan-joestar-allstarbattle.jpg (181 KB, 1000x1400) Image search: [Google]
johnathan-joestar-allstarbattle.jpg
181 KB, 1000x1400
What would be the best class for a Hamon user in 5th edition? Monk seems obvious, but would a Light Domain Cleric multi-class be feasible?
>>
>>46428991
I'd go with the 2nd anon, see where it goes.
>>
>>46428991
Hell if I know. Sun Soul Monk?
>>
File: 1440196875476.jpg (41 KB, 283x352) Image search: [Google]
1440196875476.jpg
41 KB, 283x352
>trying to make a character concept outside of the few narrow archetypes provided in 5e
>>
>>46429071

It's the main option I'm considering right now, especially since I already know Clerics pretty well.

>>46429400
Although this might be just what I need to ween me off them, thanks for the suggestion!
>>
>>46428991
You're not going to be pulling any Joseph-style shenanigans (outside of playing a caster and refluffing all to hell), but monk is the closest, especially Sun Soul or Open Hand.
>>
>>46429537

Much as I love the bullshit Part 2 does with Hamon, I think I'd prefer keeping it close to Sun Soul, still works thematically without being too weebish. Anything beyond it would be about as fitting as using Aerosmith in Cyberpunk 2020.
>>
File: TuskAct3color.png (734 KB, 484x588) Image search: [Google]
TuskAct3color.png
734 KB, 484x588
Hard mode, how would someone play as a Kaiton user?

Probably Shadow style to be honest, and just explain the shadow stuff as act 3 shenanigans.
>>
>>46429506

>being this pathetically constrained in your imaginative powers
>>
File: youmu annoyed_1.jpg (16 KB, 220x306) Image search: [Google]
youmu annoyed_1.jpg
16 KB, 220x306
>>46430484

>"The fault is in you cuz you're just not imaginative enough to make it work, not the system despite it specifically using concepts and archetypes from generic western fantasy as opposed to my Tibetan sand painting stop motions!"
>>
>>46430454
The Spin is even more bullshit than the Ripple. I'm not sure you could immediately classify the stuff you can do with it.
>>
>>46428991

Monk/Paladin multiclass.

Go for Monk for some amount of time, I don't fucking know. Then go Paladin the rest of the way. Smites are radiant damage, so use EVERY SINGLE SPELL for smiting. Use a sword or something at one point, call it Pluck. There ya fucking go.
>>
>>46431206

Any recommendations for the armor? Don't know what to call that beyond padless Kenshiro clothes.
>>
File: 40 oras.jpg (37 KB, 600x520) Image search: [Google]
40 oras.jpg
37 KB, 600x520
>>46430484
>having to imagine my system is good instead of just playing a good one
>>
>>46431698
>not making a system by yourself , because every system is shit in the end
>>
>>46431675
Padded or leather armor, but being a monk you could prob go unarmored. Tbh any monk is gonna be underpowered as shit on 5e, it was only in 4e they were any good
>>
>>46431835
>Implying the system you make on your own won't be even worse

Monte Cook you ain't, son.
>>
Johnathan is a paladin no question. Joseph is some kind of paladin/trickster. Jotaro is a straight up barbarian or some kinda summoner ala pathfinder. Man don't even fuck with any of the stories after that.
>>
>>46428991
John boy used a sword, acted as the shining righteousness, healed himself, and lead the party.

Sounds like a Paladin to me.
>>
>>46428991
>posts the greatest Paladin that's ever lived
>asks for monks
>>
Sun soul is your best bet. Fluff your range attacks as zoom lunches, any aoe as the sunlight overdrive.
>>
>>46430484
>If I imagine very hard this stuff that isn't in the system maybe I can do it! can I do it GM?
>No
Fuck, should have imagined it harder

>>46428991
The closest you can go is Sun Soul Monk...but that's it. Also, DON'T MULTICLASS AS A MONK!
>>
>>46428991
None, like many characters they simply don't fit into the D&D paradigm. D&D is designed to represent some very specific D&D-ish things, and Jojo doesn't fall into that category.
>>
I'm more familiar with 3.5, but here is what I've got.

>>46431864
I agree that Johnathan is a paladin, but he is also proficient in unarmed strikes, so he's got at least one level in monk or is taking feats.

Joseph: definitely a rouge, but with levels in cleric and brawler.

Jotaro: probably a wrathful brawler/sorcerer.

Josuke (part 4): wrathful brawler with a few levels in cleric or paladin.

Giorno: has a level in rouge but is otherwise either a chaos sorcerer, a druid, or a mystic theurge with levels in both.

Jolyne: weird to classify, definitely at least 1 level in rouge, possibly with a few levels in ranger and/or druid and/or brawler, and a few levels of sorcerer.

Johnny: ranger, maybe with a level or two in rouge and/or assassin.

Josuke (part 8): sorcerer.
>>
>>46437038
>Hamoan
>Cleric
No
Stands/Hamon is all just refluffed Psionics.
>>
>>46437516
I agree that the mechanics of psionics is more in line with how hamon and stands are depicted than regular magic.

Both Johnathan and Joseph are definitely more in line with psionic classes, although I am not familiar enough with the psionic classes to know which ones are the best fits for them off the top of my head. Joseph definitely still has levels in rouge and brawler though.

However with most of the stand users psionics doesn't give them access to all the effects that their powers entail. In a lot of cases magic just maps to them better than psionics. Flavor wise all the Jojo's work best with psionics, but the in-game functionality of psionics doesn't fit.

I stand by my assessment of Jotaro and Josuke (part 4) being wrathful brawlers, but admittedly they also should have some levels in a psionic class too. However Jotaro also needs some levels in a spell casting class or something for his time stopping ability.

Giorno has to have a level in rouge, and some levels in druid because his powers fit with the druid spell list fairly well, but he also needs some higher level spells from the sorcerer/wizard list too. It wouldn't hurt to have a level or so in a psionic class too though.

Jolyne also needs at least 1 level in rouge, but aside from manifesting Stone Free being something you can cover with a combination of unseen servant, mage hand, and some psionics, there isn't much that maps to her powers. The closest I could think of was to try and get close using the druid and/or ranger and/or assassin spell lists.

Johnny almost certainly has assassin spells, although he also may have a few levels in knight by the end of part 7. Now that I think about it, his nail attack probably maps best to psionics, but other than that he isn't very in line with psionic classes.

Josuke needs some of the power diversity of the sorcerer wizard list, and the spell slots of sorcerer to use it. But admittedly he is a fantastic fit for a psionic/sorcerer cross class.
>>
>>46437038
>>46440003

What about Giorno with GER? He's still got some druidy bits, given how he used scorpions against Diavolo, but nullifying actions seems hard to map to a certain class.
>>
>>46440233
Basically the closest you are going to get is having the ability to stop time reactively then spam a bunch of mind control effects. Although I imagine that you could pull off something to similar effect with the one "fear witch" spellcaster class from either Book of Vile Darkness or the horror supplement.

He already needs to basically be an epic level sorcerer/wizard for polymorph and the like, so, pick up Mind Rape from Book of Vile Darkness and a few similar spells, the quickened casting meta-magic feat, and that one that lets you cast spells as a reactive action. Alternately, go hard into psionics as well for the mind control and restraining powers.
>>
>>46428991
I didn't realize I wanted to RP Jojo until this exact moment. Thank you, OP
MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA
>>
>>46434369
>DON'T MULTICLASS AS A MONK
You need high Wis for Monk anyway. What exactly is the problem here?

I hate multiclassing for multiclassing's sake, too, but I'm not sure what your issue is.
>>
fuck that noise, is there a good system for a jojo rpg?
>>
>>46444007
>>46432780
>>
>>46443242

Head on down to >>46432780 → and find yourself a game, bucko.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.