[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: 1454515054712.jpg (321 KB, 1035x1600) Image search: [Google]
1454515054712.jpg
321 KB, 1035x1600
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Korrok Edition
Why aren't you running Korrok as your BBEG yet, /5eg/?
>>
>>46428936
Well, for the most part, because lifting a plot in its entirety from other stories is lazy and uninspired.
>>
>>46428998
It's a tradition rooted in the origins of D&D, though! Go forth to take the Singular Finger Ornament to Peril Peak!
>>
>>46428936
Because while John Dies at the End is one of my favorite novels, the film adaptation was terrible and David Wong is an SJW shitbag in real life. But I mean, it is a cool concept.

It is an interesting concept for a villain though. It's basically a three hundred foot tall supercomputer made of meat. It's trying to take over our reality by capturing people and replacing them with doppelganger-esque replicas, most of whom don't know that they're not the original.
>>
File: 1372403731198.jpg (159 KB, 424x600) Image search: [Google]
1372403731198.jpg
159 KB, 424x600
It's a long shot I know, but does anyone know of any good homebrew I could use for an Oriental style campaign? I'm restricting a bunch of the classes and archetypes to fit the setting, so I wanted to give my players some more options. I'm in the middle of building a Kensei archetype since I can't find any decent ones online but I wanted to see if I could lift ideas from other homebrew.
>>
>>46429217
>Oriental campaign
Can't help you, but my advice if to be prepared for half the thread to give you shit over doing this.
>>
>>46429312
Well I always assume 4chan will give me shit for anything I do, so it's to be expected.

If it helps, I'm more basing it off of Kung-Fu movies and Chinese Mythology instead of anime.
>>
I was running a campaign set in Barovia before CoS was announced. Its a hodgepodge of I6(somebody posted a 5e conversion years ago on leddit) and Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Would a level 6 party of 4 be able to tackle Castle Ravenloft and Strahd? Which version of Strahd should I throw at them? the CoS one or this one from a free DMsguild I6 conversion (his stats are on the last page) ?

lore bard
frenzy barbarian
arcane trickster rogue
tempest cleric

I gave Ireena some champion fighter levels and a bow too
>>
>>46429359
You say that as though it makes a difference.
>>
Why is Monk so damn unintuitive?
>you can make two attacks with your action
>when you attack you can unarmed strike
>when you attack you can flurry of blows to make 2 unarmed strikes at the cost of ki
>but you only get one bonus action, so you can only choose one and only do it a single time :^)))))))))))))))))

I sure am glad I gave up my ability to use magical equipment to attack less often than a Fighter.
>>
hey /5eg/ I'm playing in a pirate/sea faring game soon.

I'm going to play the house champion/master of arms for a noble house.

Was thinking of going fighter, ranger or bladelock. Mostly leading the first two to be honest.

Any neat builds I should know about before jumping in? I'm pretty sure the DM will let me use anything that's out currently.

The rest of the party so far is going to be thief rogue and moon druid, if that matters.
>>
>>46429462
You can attack 4 times in 1 turn at level 5.
Take the Attack action, get a second attack because of the Extra Attack class feature. Spend 1 ki point as a bonus action to use Flurry of Blows, make 2 unarmed strike attacks.

It's not unintuitive, you just lack reading comprehension.
>>
>>46429606
If you go Fighter or Ranger, one of the UA articles had a Mariner Fighting Style that, IIRC, gave like +1 to AC in medium/light armor, and a climb and swim speed of 30 ft. Probably would be pretty useful.
>>
3.5 is better.
>>
>>46429713
Fuck off.
>>
>>46429713
Here's your reply, now stop.
>>
Does anyone have a link to that En5ider mega? Is it being updated? Their content honestly seems less shitty than most 3rd party stuff.
>>
>>46429608
It's unintuitive because you need to choose between a free bonus attack or a paid flurry of blows.

In other words, your flurry of blows is paying 1 ki to make 1 extra attack (because you'd be getting 3 otherwise), making it 4 total, which equals Fighter's 4 standard before even taking out the possibility of them making a bonus attack of their own.

>b-but 4 attacks at level 5
With d6 damage and can only be done 5 times before resting. Meanwhile greatsword fighter will get that many damage dice out of standard attacks at the same level.
>>
>>46429462
You can still use magical equipment. You can equip magic items like bracers of armor. I know there are other good options for monk but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
>>
>>46429911
A smart monk will be getting 2d8 + 2d6.
>>
>>46429911
More attacks even with a smaller die are arguably better if you can get an equal damage modifier on them.

Unarmed strikes' use of bonus actions is really pretty forgiving. It's two-weapon fighting that's really fucked.
>>
I'm DMing a session tomorrow in which I plan to reveal what happened to a character's sister.

The character is a cleric of Corellon. His sister accidentally killed one of his holy deer (which I'm not sure he's supposed to have, but I thought it was cool so I let it slide) and killed it. She fled, he was punished for the offense, and spent 20 years being punished. Then Corellon called him to take up his mantle.

His sister, meanwhile, has been undertaking a little adventure of her own. After wandering for a year, she joined a traveling band of merchants as their resident hunter/scout. There, she met a Drow, and became good friends with her. I'm debating on making this a romantic thing, but I feel weird shipping his fictional sister with anything. Mostly because I know his real-life sister.

Unfortunately, some other Drow managed to capture her friend. Not pleased with her friend's decision to abandon the Underdark, they turned her into a drider. This drider then attacked the merchant camp, killing almost everybody before the sister managed to kill her with a well-placed arrow.

In her grief, his sister cried out for some way to avenge her fallen friend. She got a bit more than she could chew when an aspect of Corellon himself appeared to her and offered a solution: help him find a way to kill Lolth, so nothing like this could ever happen again.

She swore an oath to do so, and is now a paladin.

Is this backstory retarded?
>>
I've run an analysis of the classes, breaking down the amount a class will contribute in combat over an average day along with their out of combat features and versatility.

Obvious finding: Fighters are good at dealing damage, but not THAT good compared to other classes, even though nearly all their features are geared towards it. Towards the end of the game, even an idiot wizard firing off fireballs will be competitive with the Fighter for a long adventuring day.

Also obvious: The classes start out roughly balanced against each other, but quickly begin to diverge with each level.

Proposed Solution: Certain classes--those that aren't fullcasters, basically--will get some extra feats as they level up. The feats can't be offensively oriented, because of synergy, but also include two new kinds of feats, magic item and superpower.

Magic item feats give characters a magic item, superpowers give them spell-like superpowers.

Ideally, this would help balance the classes. Instead of level 7 being "The fighter can jump an extra 4 feet and the wizard learns two more spells, can prepare an extra spell per day, and gets access to 4th level spells", it'd be "The fighter can jump an extra 4 feet, gets an extra special feat, and the wizard gets all that jazz".

Thoughts?
>>
>>46429462
How is this unintuitive?
I attack with my Shortsword/Staff.
As a bonus I strike it with my fist as a bonus action.

Or, I spend Ki to attack twice. It's the most basic, spend points to attack more, mechanic. As for strength, with Flurry you can do all sorts of shenanigans with Open Palm (and probably other paths)
I don't see how this is any different from a Polearm Master who can choose to use his bonus action to swing with the back end of a polearm.
>>
Rolling for initiative at the start of every round. Thoughts? Also thinking of making initiative a d12 or d10 instead of a d20, but that's just buffing Dex even more... What if people could choose to use either Int or Dex?
>>
>>46430752
why bother?
>>
>>46430752
I'm pretty sure the same classes that have high int also go for dex, Turns would take longer and it would overall be worse for people who make up for initiative with shit like rerolls, but it probably wouldn't change too much overall. I doubt your game would get there, but you'd also probably want to change up some high level class features that go by rolling initiative
>>
>>46430602
3 did have the "Bonus Fighter Feat list"
Could make a bonus Martial List.

Depends on how long the adventuring day ends up though really. The longer you go without an Extended Rest, the better your Warlocks and Fighters and Monks will do.
>>
>>46430602
I don't know where you're getting that Fighters aren't doing better damage than anyone else, they're mathematically superior to everything else in terms of burst and damage over time. Between action surge letting them make multiple attack actions per turn and being able to chuck bonus dice of damage on hits for the first couple of rounds, they're aces.

I have no idea what kind of jumping bullshit you're talking about, the extra swordmaster dice and additional abilities are def capable of overcoming a few spells, especially since wizards are pretty sparse on those. Feats are way too good to just toss to players, look at the crossbow shenanigans alone.
>>
>>46430752
If you're going to do per-round initiative, you might as well go the whole nine yards and use the speed factor variant in the DMG. iirc it basically mimics AD&D's initiative.

And honestly, it seems like more work than it's worth. You'll bog shit down even more than it can be.

As for the last bit: letting people use Int instead of Dex just means that wizards will go first as often as the rogue. If you don't like dex-focused classes go first more often, have initiative be a flat d20 roll for everyone.
>>
>>46429998
Monks can turn magic daggers into d10 weapons
>>
>>46430596
Keep the lesbian shit OUT
>>
I finally found a group that meets regularly, they're all cool people, we all get along, but nobody fucking roleplays in-game.

What's the fucking point, what's the FUCKING POINT
>>
>>46430147
Monks at least seem to be in a better place than they were. Less MAD ruining the class and some actual weapon support. Sure they're not as strong as a fighter on the front line (and really, it's probably a design flaw if a class is) but it's not like any other class can run as fast as a Monk.

I just wish they'd expand on Monk's ability to manipulate positioning. Being able to disengage as a bonus action and knockback with Flurry is nice, but you can't do both in the same in the same round (so repositioning to aim the knockback is awkward) and STR being a de-facto dump stat takes grappling off of the table, not that grappling is even particularly useful in its current implementation.
>>
>>46431031
Because normies are scum
>>
>>46431116
>not that grappling is even particularly useful in its current implementation
Grapple + shove is the single most reliable way to lock down a single target (no speed, disadvantage on all attacks, advantage on attacks against them within 5ft), and anyone with Extra Attack can manage it in one turn. Monks could even do it to two creatures and knee the shit out of them for around their regular damage, and their extra movement means they can move them around even more easily.

The easiest fix to that is let monks do Athletics check for that sort of thing with Dexterity. It fits the fluff of a martial artist perfectly, using fluid movement to prevent movement or make them lose their footing. It's even supported by RAW, as a variant (using different ability scores for skills when applicable, it's in the PHB).
>>
>>46431155
>normies
Oh, choke on a cock. Fa/tg/uys are the inferior breed and we all know that.
>>
File: banana.jpg (58 KB, 436x438) Image search: [Google]
banana.jpg
58 KB, 436x438
>>46431176
Oh yeah, the typical neckbeard is
However looking, and faking, being a normie while being one of us is truly amazing and hellish at the same time
>>
>>46431165

I do kinda wish that Monks hadn't ended up so...set...in stats. It would have been nice to have both Strength Monk and Dex Monk be viable options like it is for Fighters.
>>
>>46431031

I just started up with a new group and I'm in the same situation. I actually contribute to it by not having actually nailed down what my character is all about so don't actually roleplay my character either. I also feel a bit self conscious about it as well. Haven't quite gotten into that free flowing mode where I can riff with my character.
>>
>>46431031
I know man... Last session got derailed

>lets take everything that isnt nailed down
>even that sacred ritual item that is prophesied to be binding a demon in his plane
>in this very religious society

And thats where the rest of the evening went.
>>
>>46431165
It's nice but it's not like Monk can't prone things already (at least if they go open palm). Grappling movement and shoving certainly exist but there's no reason why there can't be additional or more efficient options (judo throws for example) as a class feature or possibly even a discipline. That also opens up the door to fun things like grappling/throwing as a reaction/opportunity.

I agree that letting them do things like grappling off of Dex makes sense both thematically and from a design standpoint, and the size restrictions still exist as a sort of balancing factor (IE to keep little races from surpassing large ones in grappling). More than that though I'd like to see grappling expanded on in general.
>>
Need some more QoL house rules
Got these so far
>Opposite Element Damage is 150%
>Same Element Damage is Immune
>Breather - Same as short rest, but take 1 level of Exhaustion (Takes 5 mins in game)
>>
>>46429217
What do you need to change?
A fighter is a fighter in pretty much any culture. Your barbarian is either some sort of steppe nomad or a southern jungle type. A wizard is still a guy with robes, a weird hat and a beard (probably a thinner, wispier one). Monks.
>>
>>46430602
>Instead of level 7 being "The fighter can jump an extra 4 feet
What if at seventh level the Fighter got two more maneuvers, another superiority dice and the ability to study something outside of combat to learn its strengths? Or maybe he gains his first 2nd level spell, two 2nd level spell slots, a 1St level spell slot and the ability to attack as a bonus action after casting a cantrip?

Champion is a garbage subclass but the Fighter as a whole is solid.
>>
>>46431617
>Breather - Same as short rest, but take 1 level of Exhaustion
What the hell is exhausting them?
>>
>>46431704
>Champion is garbage

Boring? Yes. Unusable? Fuck no, it's a solid, dead simple subclass that does what fighters do best.
>>
>>46431706
Not taking a decent time to rest
I run a Overattuned campaign, so they need healing often - it's just a way to keep them from going Battle > SR > Battle > SR > etc

Since i keep a note of in-game time
>>
>>46429385
Strahd in CoS is stronger. As an aside, whoever calculated Strahd in that pdf as CR 9 is a flubbing fool
>>
>>46430602
Fighters already get more ASIs you creep
>>
>>46431704
>best martial DPR
>garbage
>>
Hey, guys. So our political metropolitan fiends-and-intrigue setting has morphed, over the course of player discussion and increasingly diabolic DM interest, into something that looks like it's going to go multithreaded PVP real fast.

To eat my humble pie, I am here because there were specific questions about whether I was comfortable with the direction because it apparently wasn't clear if I could "hack it" in such an environment, I guess because I played bards even in 3.5e when it was a hard knock life.

I'm fucking mad, /tg/. Give me your metropolitan PVP characters. Clever ideas for class and background encouraged - I cannot Charlatan another PC, I already asked, still gonna get a disguise kit though - but I guess I gotta kill somebody eventually to prove my dominance in this unholy abandonment of all things friendly, party-based, and good. Help me get vengeance for my slighted honor. I will offer the subsequent storyteim in trade.

Rules are: can't just leave the city and go haring off (have to have some tie that keeps me there, it's a little bit like Less Evil Cheliax / More Satanic Rome), everything open except homebrew and including Unearthed Arcana "provisionally" IE I should not use anything that relies on breaking the game.
>>
>>46431816
>better dpr but boring as shit and with nothing particularly interesting outside of combat
>not garbage
Pick one.
>>
>>46431900
Well warlock 2/sorcerer 18 is always a popular pvp choice do to the massive damage it can drop. Go undying light warlock and red dragon sorc if you want to add twice your cha mod to each of your twinned firebolts. You probably want to go varient human for access to a feat. Alert is a lifesaver in PVP since going first is fucking amazing. Lucky is also another good option. Go elemental adept if you want to focus on fire rather than EB.

Fluff it as you are connected deeply with the primordial fire that is the core of your dragon ancestry. You learned to tap into that power before you finally managed to learn how to access the full breadth of your ancestry.

As for story I was thinking charlatan background. Your quick wit and sharp tongue led you to early wealth which you quickly used to "establish yourself" as a minor noble through your false identity. This identity coupled with your criminal ties let you go damn near everywhere.

For your ties to the city I am thinking that you have a few reasons why you are tied here. Your false identity was established in this city with a lot of hard labor and good coin. It would be passable anywhere else but it wouldn't hold up to close scrutiny because its too closely tied to this city. As well you may also be searching for an older sibling that you vaguely remember from your childhood. Whether for sentimental reasons or to have another pawn in your game you are not sure. If they have access to the same powers as you they could be a strong asset for you to manipulate.

I hope this helps and sorry if I started rambling there
>>
>>46431786
Not the same guy, but I never actually noticed this, oh wow.
>>
>>46432106
>Warlock 2/Sorcerer 18
>Not Warlock 3/Sorcerer 17
>Taking Draconic Presence over Pact of the Tome for CHA-based shillelagh
>Twinned firebolt
>Not Quickened GFB
>Not being SAD as fuck
>>
>>46432259
Fuck you are right about warlock 3/sorc 17 and pact of the tome.

>quickened gfb
requires you to get close to the enemy which could be bad depending on what they are playing
>SAD
You want dex maxed out anyways for AC and initiative which are both goddamn important for pvp
>>
>>46428936
>Why aren't you running Korrok as your BBEG yet, /5eg/?

Who? What?
>>
>>46429217
>I'm restricting a bunch of the classes and archetypes to fit the setting

No. Just let them refluff stuff. If you're playing a setting that forces you to restrict classes, don't play that setting, or don't play 5e.

>>46430752
>Rolling for initiative at the start of every round. Thoughts?

Slow and clunky with no benefit.

Just use speed factor initiative if you must.

>>46431031
Reminder that acting != roleplaying

>>46431197
That's not bad roleplaying, that's just being criminals. If that's the type of game they want to play, or the DM doesn't make their actions have consequences, they've done nothing wrong.

The crew takes after its captain. If the DM doesn't hold them accountable for their choices, they won't put effort into them.
>>
>>46431770
Not that guy, but it doesn't make sense at all. They can go through three fights back to back just fine, but if they take a break between the fights it makes them more tired. There are better ways to punish characters than going full gamist and trying to balance it like a board game.

Offer them healing potions with odd effects- con saves to prevent weird and unfortunate side effects.

Dangle the constant threat of random encounters to normal rests- even in tables that don't have those, assuming you're capable of bluffing.

Include magical elements that heal them passively, while they're in proximity. These things can be endangered or dangerous in their own right I.e. radioactive healing pool, stone of recovery that lets the bbeg spy on all nearby, etc.

Have menacing creatures tempt characters into taking regular 1 hour rests while time is a limiting factor and increases difficulty/ causes failure
>>
I'm running OotA and the party has just escaped from the drow.
During their escape attempt they all attempted to bum-rush Shoor with the prisoners which didn't go well for them after he killed 2 of their companions in a round. I fluffed his actions as being really over the top hammy anime shit, like cutting arrows out of the air, and they all seemed to enjoy it.

I'm planning to play it up a lot more in the later chapters because the idea of the party being tracked and chased by these edgy Naruto/Terminator hybrid seems like too much fun to not do it. One of my ideas is giving him misty step so he can become the embodiment of "pssh, nothing personnel kid", and I just wanted to get some advice on how I can make him the craziest edgelord in the Underdark.
>>
File: 1412247106659.jpg (68 KB, 960x656) Image search: [Google]
1412247106659.jpg
68 KB, 960x656
>>46428936
>running a sandbox campaign for four months
>players say they have been loving the story
>have no plotline that they have been following at all
>don't even have BBEG or anything of the sort
>improvise 90% of the NPCs and dialogue

I am planning on keeping doing what I have been doing but - do you think it would be a good idea to build some sort of plot around all the hooks laying around from the party's adventures? I think it would be good if they get payoff for some of the stories they have seen.
>>
>>46432783
Make sure he wields a sword called Jorogumo or something that the players can loot.
>>
One of my players wants to play an Oathbreaker but I feel like controlling undead might be too powerful for CoS.

He suggested swapping the Channel Divinity with the one from Oath of Vengeance (since that's what he was originally) and the Animate Dead spell with Vampiric Touch.

Is this broken or should I greenlight it?
>>
>>46432885
That works for a PC oathbreaker just fine. Vampiric Touch is straight up a bad use of spell slots for a paladin, but he can use it to regain some quick health if he needs it and feels castery.
>>
Should I take my strength to 18 or grab Great Weapon Mastery?
>>
>>46432885
Just let him have the vanilla Oathbreaker and increase the difficulty of future encounters instead. Players often complain if you nerf the class they want to play, so it is often better to just let it slide and tune the difficulty up.

Ofc, if the rest of the party is weak (bad stats, for example) and he would upset the balance too much, then tune him down a notch.
>>
>>46432710
My PCs wanted "Souls-esque", so i gave them Souls-esque.
Though if i can ever find that /tg/ alchemy homebrew i'll use those mixed potions
>>
>>46432930
The idea being that this is Strahd's domain and there should be no way for the players to wrestle control of his servants away from him.
>>
I know this is 5e general, but fuck it
>playing AD&D
>one player kills his character by having him cast lightning bolt underwater
>rolls up new character
>evil half orc warlock
>also a slaver to boot
>conveniently has all his previous spells
>constantly tries to get the rest of the party into trouble
>ie: shouting at enemies that detect sound while the rest of the party is trying to sneak past
>calls the party elves elven bitches one of which is borderline triggered by the word
>spits on the dwarf for no reason other than he's a dwarf after which the dwarf punches him in the dick
>has a sword for a right arm
>has teleport for a cantrip
>insists his eldritch blast cantrip does 2d10 damage at level 8

help
The DM's just letting all this slide, and the party's paladin refused to travel with us after he joined
And to top it all off, he's an AD&D purist, and warlock wasn't even introduced until 3.5
>>
>>46432989
>cast lightning bolt underwater
ha

Then i read the rest of autism
>mfw

Make it, "him or me"
>>
>>46433009
I'm thinking of joining the paladin and taking as many people as I can with me
My character's got a bit of a crush on him anyway
>>
>>46432921
Strength to 20 before GWM is optimal IIRC.
>>
>>46432921
Str to 20 for sure.
>>
>>46432989
No Game > Shit Game

No Game > Game
>>
>>46433100
>Implying all game is shit game
For what purpose?
>>
>>46432854
You could start tying stuff together and constructing a plot out of what you have currently. I'd say it would be a good idea but I'd also advise not making it too big of a deal. Make it grand but keep it simple enough to where you can continue to improv.
>>
File: LMoP map extended half-res.png (6 MB, 1324x1813) Image search: [Google]
LMoP map extended half-res.png
6 MB, 1324x1813
I expanded the Phandelver map with some classic Neverwinter Woods locations: Helm's Hold, Gauntlgrym, Tower of Twilight, Dread Ring, Sharandar, Xinlenal, Morgur's Mound and Berun's Hill.

Might be useful if you decide to run a sandbox after LMoP. Had to reduce the size to 50% to fit 4chan's filesize though
>>
>>46433110
I don't think he is saying all games are shit games, just that not playing in a game is better than playing in a shitty game. That is something I concur with, having played with horrid DMs and players in the past.
>>
>>46433325
Oh, and Port Llast too.
>>
I have no artistic skills whatsoever and I'm horribly uncreative.

How can I create a map of my world that isn't a blight?
>>
File: 1405129697280.png (605 KB, 697x699) Image search: [Google]
1405129697280.png
605 KB, 697x699
>DM'ing for the first time ever, some new people in the group
>One of them is the kind of person that only wants to play D&D because of the WACKY CRAZY GREENTEXT STORIES XD!!!
>Have to put up with his Barbarian constantly trying to intimidate doors, which is a bit annoying, but not really that bad
>Except one of our regulars is a super serious no fun allowed game time all the time, which again isn't THAT bad usually, except now he's got someone occasionally interrupting the game with CRAZY SHENANIGANS
>He decides that his Wizard now hates the new guys character for reasons unknown
>They've tracked a bunch of Bandit kidnappers to an abandoned outpost
>Wizard tries to steal the Barbarian's gold while they're resting and he's on watch
>"It's what my character would do"
>'Accidentally' directs one of his Magic Missiles towards him while they're fighting a scouting patrol
>Purposely aiming his AoE so it hits the Barbarian
>Goes on for the entire session has not only stopped trying to be silly, but just stopped talking all that much in general
>Clearly not enjoyed himself by the time we end

What do I do when Autism meets Maximized 9th Level Slot Autism?
>>
>>46433110
>>46433331
sorry I was just memeing

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/46372236/#46375243
>>
>>46433378
Get your group to help. They can do all the heavy lifting for you and they will feel more invested in your game for having helped to create it.
>>
>>46432854
As someone who has done this, try to make up things that are going on in the "background" so to speak, so that you have stuff to work with later, even if you don't tell the players that it is going on.

Also as improv it is incredibly easy to work stuff in as being a part of the main overarching plot, even if it hasn't happened yet. I have a little saying: "Its not a retcon if it's improv"
>>
>>46433399
Talk it out like reasonable adults, first separately, then together.
>>
>>46433401
I'd rather not have that meme around, thanks.
>>
>>46433399
sit down with both of them and talk

Tell the greentext player to tone down the wackiness a bit.

Tell the wizard player to calm the fuck down and just ignore it.

Honestly though I would rather have a wacky lolsorandom faggot than one of those pissy little shits that demand the tone of the game is exactly what they want and ruin everyone elses fun when it isnt. I had to deal with one of those once and it sucked.
>>
Do ogres eat orcs?
>>
>>46433480
>>46433471
Yeah, if it comes down to it, keep the barbarian around. If the wizard player refuses to relent, have a ring of magic immunity find its way to the barbarian. Look directly at the wizard while you read out what the barbarian gets.
>>
>>46433530
Are you the GM? If so - why don't you tell us? Its your campaign, man. Ogres eat whatever you want. Don't feel completely restricted by all the lore written for DnD, use it as a framework and decide the little details for yourself to give the campaign some personality.
>>
>>46433480
Ditto. "It's what my character would do" is one of those phrases ruined by assholes trying to defend their shitty behavior.
>>
>>46433530
Ogres eat anything edible and some stuff beyond that. Remember that they are lazy to a fault so if there is an easy to eat orc nearby...
>>
>>46433593
On the other hand, it's also good for turning around on them when the victimized player character runs a sword through them in response.
>>
>>46433471
>>46433480
>>46433555

Alright, thanks for the advice.
>>
Has anyone had any experience playing Death domain cleric? I have been toying with the idea of a Half-Orc who worships Kelemvor but I'm worried people will think I'm trying to play an edgy LE cleric who wants to make a shitload of zombies when I'm a LG cleric stopping those who extend their lives by unnatural means (Liches and vamps mostly)
>>
So we have rare rings of resistance (to one type of damage). Would a ring of immunity be very rare or legendary?
>>
>>46433615
Just look at this way Anon.

The barbarian is trying to have fun while the wizard is trying to ruin other peoples fun.
>>
>>46433626
Probably very rare. Legendary would be more like a ring that absorbs the select damage type and heals you for half, similar to the Black Dragon mask in HotDQ.
>>
Thinking of DMing a homebrew sandbox campaign on Roll20. The overarching story will basically involve delivering a captured princess to her kingdom that has gone to shits.

Any tips on story? Running a sandbox campaign? etc.
>>
>>46433619
No experience playing clerics, but I have played a LN necromancer wizard. I only animated the corpses of evil beings.
>>
>>46433610
>Character A fucks with Character B
>Character B kills Character A
>Character B is arrested for murder and executed
>"It's what real life would do"
>>
>>46433399
>literally being a huge PK faggot
Don't get me wrong, i know that shit is annoying, but that Wizz guy is a huge cunt

Talk it out seperately, then together - and failing that TPK them and get the other guys pissed at them
>>
>>46433726
This is how to DM
>>
>>46433726
The idea was that an asshole screwing around with friendly fire is going to go from ally to enemy rather quickly. If everyone is killing each other just because then you have bigger problems.
>>
>>46433726
>>46433791
Sorry half asleep and misread. Every situation would be different, point is the party shouldn't put up with bullshit just because he's a player.
>>
File: trust.png (278 KB, 480x321) Image search: [Google]
trust.png
278 KB, 480x321
>>46433399
This, friends, is a good reminder- each and every one of has the capacity to be That Guy.

Everyone has been the "intimidate doors lel xd" faggot at some point. Everyone has been the "My character hates your character because I hate you" faggot at some point.

Balance is key.
>>
>>46433628
That's unfair and biased.

The Wizard and Barbarian are attempting to play two different games at the same table. THAT is the problem. One/both of them needs to compromise, or one/both of them needs to leave the group, but the group as a whole needs to make that decision.
>>
File: trustnobody.png (517 KB, 730x570) Image search: [Google]
trustnobody.png
517 KB, 730x570
>>46433840
>intimidate doors
What is this? I've not heard that story.
>>
File: 1445330816578.jpg (68 KB, 664x615) Image search: [Google]
1445330816578.jpg
68 KB, 664x615
>be new GM
>running 5e campaign
>several months in, no characters have died
>one of the players is a quiet guy who play a female character he seems really attached to
>can see him panic each time she gets low on life

I don't know if I can kill her when it comes to it. On the one hand the point of the game is to be having fun, and I don't want to ruin his. on the other, it would be unfair towards the other players if I treat him differently and fudge some rolls, even if they do not know. If I talk to him about it, knowing him I feel like he could feel embarrassed.

What should I do? Do I just let the dice roll and if it happens - it happens?
>>
>>46433958
Kill her. Kill them all.
>>
>>46433958
Let the dice lie where they fall.
>>
>>46430596
Don't force the romance on anyone.

I've got a DM who's deadset on making my character fall in love with his patron, despite the fact that it makes zero sense.
>>
>>46433958
Do as the dice dictate. Do what the NPC/monsters would do. Remember that players get 3 death saves, so it's pretty hard to die if the party can devote even a bonus action to slap a healing word on you.
>>
Forever DM here, one of my players will be running a oneshot/potential start to a campaign soon. I'm looking at rolling up some kind of melee caster, but I don't really want to play a bladesinger. Is warlock still shit? Is there some way to build a decent muscle wizard in 5e?
>>
File: 1457279997585.jpg (32 KB, 396x353) Image search: [Google]
1457279997585.jpg
32 KB, 396x353
>>46433958
If you think he's honestly going to be genuinely emotionally distraught, killing his character makes you a bad human being.

But he's also overly attached to a fictional character, so, let it all burn.
>>
>>46433989
Play way of the shadow monk with couple of levels in warlock. The new GM will "love" it.
>>
>>46431617
>>but take 1 level of Exhaustion
Do you have any concept of just how crippling exhaustion is in this edition? No party's going to do this.
>>
>>46433989
Just be a paladin or EK if you want to actually be decent at and survive in combat. Full wizards got no place on the front lines, though a bladesinger can survive a bit longer than usual.
>>
>had a really fun party last year
>start of this year a mutual friend of us all asked if she could be part of it and DM
>we're fine with it, figure we can still have fun
>she makes rules against how much we can joke around
>group disbands
>she invites me and some other people to form a new party
>meet once
>the one girl got too stressed out about building her character sheet that she started crying
>trigger warnings before describing gory content
oh brother
>>
>>46434003
I double the table for exhaustion

>>46433958
Let the dice fall as they do - no fudging
>>
>>46434008

Paladin is a bit more low magic than what I was looking for, but I might go EK. I was thinking Arcane Cleric would be viable too, though I don't know exactly how good it'd be for melee.
>>
>>46434022
>I double the table for exhaustion
So, as >>46432710 says, you're going full fucking Steve Jackson to try and balance out a nonexistent issue anyway?

You don't need more house rules, Anon.
>>
>>46434031
Decent enough, I guess. Depends on the level. 1 melee attack and 1 spiritual weapon attack is not bad.
>>
>>46434031
If you're going for a Melee Arcana cleric, your first level should be in monk.
>>
File: 1427152227070.png (788 KB, 497x664) Image search: [Google]
1427152227070.png
788 KB, 497x664
>>46433982
>>46433985
>>46434022
Yes, I suppose this is the fairest thing to do. I guess he knew the risks entering the campaign.

>>46433973
>Kill her. Kill them all.
a-are you from /pol/ by chance?

>>46433990
>killing his character makes you a bad human being.
Thanks for the word of encouragement.
>>
>>46434074
It's not like you are gunning for anyone, right? If people fall, they fall. Don't avoid hitting them just because it might knock them down to 0, there's no fun in a game once people realize that that is what's happening - a threat should always be there.
>>
>>46434054
Hey, they ok'ed it.
I always go to the group before we pencil in homebrew
We once ruled that if you rolled an 18+ and mentioned a body part you could do extra damage/effects - it got bloated fast

Not like we're balls deep in house rules anyway
>>
>>46433958
Talk to the player about it, remind him of the possibility of his character biting it and that he needs to be ready for that, and offer to let him simply retire the character and make a new one that he's not going to flip over it dying.
>>
>>46433958
>killed a PC for the first time last session
>had to fight every urge and impulse in my body to not fudge rolls to ensure he died
>fairness prevailed, I called it as it stood, and he eventually died on a botched death save with a help mere feet away

Ever since I've been filled with a lust for blood. I don't know if I'm going to be able to not kill somebody next session.
>>
>>46434074
Fairness is best, but having an enemy not decide to finish her off mid battle even if he has a reason to is probably wise. It's hard not to feel slighted when that happens, who knows what that player would do.
>>
>>46434017
You need to save these people from this woman, and hopefully save her from herself. Take control of the group anon, be a hero and show them a better way.
>>
I'm about to DM for the first time.

What do I need to have ready? How many quests do I need mapped out? How many encounters should I have planned? NPCs?

What can they even fight against at level one that even makes sense fuck
>>
>>46434069
>>46434064

I looked into it, but with the SCAG's cantrips, it's probably best to go EK. I considered a monk/sorcerer or wizard multiclass, but it just seemed kinda meh.
>>
>>46433958
Remember PC death is not a permanent thing. In most settings you can fix that issue quite easily.

If his character dies and it makes him upset remind him that the other players can have him ressurected. Even if they dont you can talk to him about alternative options for coming back. You can even do a little solo story about his character coming back to life and when you are done you can hold him down and fuck him while calling him by his PC's name
>>
>>46434324
>Human Monk 1/Arcana Cleric X
>Magic Initiate (Druid) Taking Shillelagh as one of your druid cantrips
>1st level Arcana cleric feature, grab Greenflame Blade

Wis based AC, Wis based Attacks, extra Wis damage
All kindsa Wis up in this bitch.
>>
>>46434310

https://donjon.bin.sh/

You can use this to generate everything you need, if you are absolutely clueless.

It sounds like the feature that would help you the most is the Random Inn generator. Throw in the npc's and the "rumors" as leads for quests. The DMG also has a table for randomly generating plots. You can use that for your main story. Just add whatever details you want.

There should be 6-8 encounters between each long rest. These can all take place in a dungeon or along the way to a quest goal or on the way back. You can just say that a long rest is available after a certain number of encounters, rather than time. The hardest encounters will be the ones that have as many enemies as characters or slightly more, so just be careful with those.
>>
File: DPb8Y8w.jpg (171 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
DPb8Y8w.jpg
171 KB, 1200x900
>>46431031
It seems to me like the DM would be partially responsible for it. I mean, you gotta have that immersive feel in order to be immersed.

Do they just fight and thats it? Like how does a session regularly go? Do they even talk to NPCs?
>>
>>46434069
I would say that a Wis/Con Hill Dwarf Fighter 1/Cleric X could also be effective.

Monk 1/Cleric X build does still require Dex for AC, so it isn't entirely SAD. It does correspondingly get higher initiative, but lower health and concentration checks.
>>
>>46434406

If I manage to roll decent stats, wouldn't really need shillelagh, though it'd be nice to have the magic weapon straight from first level I guess. But I hadn't considered how the synergy for the wis based everything works. Only problem is it might be a level 1 campaign, but even so, that setup is pretty great.
>>
>>46434604
>Rolling for stats
>Not taking the standard array
I know that people do this, I just don't understand why?
>>
>>46434627

Because my group is pretty casual and is just in it for shits and giggles, and having people roll 6s and 8s funnier and leads to some pretty great moments. In our main campaign, our cleric has only 6 strength, so I go out of my way to make sure that things try to grapple him at inopportune moments, which has led to some pretty hilarious situations.
>>
>>46434672
It isn't my style but I approve of your ways
>>
>>46434627

Because it's what the rulebook says to do

Also on average it gets you significantly better stats
>>
File: beatnik_doctor_george_costanza.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
beatnik_doctor_george_costanza.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
>>46434627
>using the standard system
>never enjoying the life of a +3 str barbarian at level 1 at the cost of low charisma
Its almost like you don't want to have fun anon.
>>
>>46434753
You do realize that using the standard array, your highest ability score should be a 16 or 17 post racial bonuses.
>>
So I ran my group through death house yesterday as their introduction to the land of barovia. They loved it. but the big monster at the end of the adventure rolled completely shitty and only managed to score one hard hit on the cleric. They were roughing him up so bad I had the ghouls come in from behind to try and take the heat off of them but the party used the portcullis to funnel them in and ruin whatever plans I had. All in all a fun game. It was nice seeing their faces after taking that large threat down thinking its over only to have the house reveal itself as a death trap with all the blades and whatnot. All in all a fun time. Cant wait to run them through the rest of cos.

How is everyone elses adventures going?
>>
>>46434627
>Using the array
TOP KEK
>>
>Just hit level 11
>the sorc/arcane trickster in the party has been abusing the hell out of GFB twinning
>Has a flame tongue rapier
>now deals 1d8+2d8(gfb)+3d6(SA)+2d6(FT)+4(dex) with an additional 2d8+3 to a second target followed by a second attack for 1d8+2d8+2d6+4 with an additional 2d8+3.
>Does this basically every turn
Meanwhile
>I am playing sun monk and am laser punching at 4d8+20 or burning my ki I can get 8d6 radiant fireballs or 6d6 cones of fire
Oh well at least I will get proficiency in all saves here in a few levels. I just wish there were more magic items that were applicable to monks.
>>
>>46434820
>not using the array
>not rolling for stats
>not using point-buy

All are perfectly fine.
>>
>>46434786
but with the dice roll system you can just use your racial bonus to buff up another +3, at least that's what I do.
>>
>>46434842
> Being reasonable
TOPPEST KEK
>>
>>46434842
To be fair, i only use the array when i don't want to RP which only happens if the rest of the fags i play with aren't going to RP

And even then i more likely roll see what i get, and then decide
>>
>>46434847
That's your prerogative. I prefer not to leave my stats up to the dice gods.

>>46434863
There are rules against shitposting, anon.
>>
>>46434832
Yes, because you really ought to be comparing your damage as a Monk against an optimized damage build instead of stunning 4 fucking guys a turn like you can and should be doing.
>>
>>46434842
>tfw you have to use point buy because of the cunt in the group that will always suddenly roll 3 18's
>If you call him on his shit he whines for weeks and his a pain in the ass to deal with
>cant find anyone else to play with because of small town
it sucks man
>>
>>46434870
I typically strongly encourage first-time players to just take the array.

Anybody else can make their bed as they wish.
>>
>>46434627
I let my players use any of the three methods. Some of them like to roll and some use point buy, but none of them use the standard array.
>>
File: 1445205475106.jpg (22 KB, 150x153) Image search: [Google]
1445205475106.jpg
22 KB, 150x153
>>46434870
>don't want to RP
so, you just roll some dice then for 2-3 hours. I mean you might as well roll for your stats too, it will be the only thing you will be doing all night.
>>
>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW who don't roll 3d6 in order for their stats
>these people wouldn't play the resulting 6 str fighter both ways uphill in the snow and like it dammit
Absolutely disgusting.png
>>
>>46434924
Admittedly, I've tried using the point buy system, but very often I realize I just worked myself back into the standard array.
>>
>>46434930
I usually end up getting absolutely cunted if noone RPs
I play TTs to RP, so i usually leave a group if it's full of murderhobos or people like the Wizard in here >>46433399
>>
>>46434930
You have to admit that there have to be a huge number of people, somewhere, who actually enjoy rolling dice for 2-3 hours. How else would Monopoly and Game of Life still be on the market?
>>
>>46434924
If one person couldn't make the session 0 for character creation, I usually just tell them to use the array or point buy system, unless they want to come early and get those rolls in before we start session 1.
>>
>>46434912
>>...roll stats in front of the DM????
Whoa
>>
>>46434967
Monopoly is actually a fairly fast game when played correctly. It's just that nobody actually knows the fucking rules.
>>
>>46434949
I like to go 10-10-10-13-14-15.
>>
>>46434967
>How else would Monopoly and Game of Life still be on the market?
Another story for another thread anon. Rest your sleepy head.
>>
>>46434981
>roll in front of the DM
>bitches that the DM wont let him use a dice roller program
>He whines incessantly if he rolls any low stats at all
>bitches if someone rolls better than him
Believe me there is no escape. At least with with point buy he knows we are all equal so he cant whine.
>>
>>46434967
Life uses a spinner, idiot.
>>
>>46435023
Have you considered kicking him?

Don't you fucking dare hide behind the small town excuse. There's no way your nerd pool is that small.
>>
>>46433958
Too many people tell you to let the dice fall where they may.

Players don't know shit about what they want. What most of them actually want is a power trip, to feel like they've beaten the odds. The key words there are "feel like". Not actually beat the odds. Nothing ruins a game faster than character death. So constantly threaten it, but never pull the trigger.
>>
File: giphy.gif (278 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
278 KB, 450x338
>>46435023
I mean in this case if he were to whine about everything bad that happens to his precious stats, he should have just used the point buy system to begin with, or maybe just actually grow up and realize that shit happens. its probably the same people that furiously cry if their PCs ever die. and at that point you just send them off to some heavy number crunch optimization rpg, and wish him the best.
>>
File: 1439754194529.gif (565 KB, 275x288) Image search: [Google]
1439754194529.gif
565 KB, 275x288
>writing my first adventure
>looking for tips on google
>every article is advice on how to write 10,000 years of history and 50-session-long plotlines

I just want help writing a single session for now fuck
>>
>>46434883
I do but its just mildly annoying that even if I tried I cant do as much damage as he can even if he doesn't twin and at the same time he is actually useful out of combat due to expertise in persuasion and performance.

I know I am useful and the reason he pretty much is always guaranteed a sneak attack but I just feel a little under-powered at times.
>>
>>46435105
>>46435051
I live in a town of under 2k people in the middle of the midwest with the next closest town being 45 minutes away.

There are a couple other people that are interested but they are just as bad and cant be dealt with by just switching to point buy.
>>
>>46435051
Honestly in the country side the nerd pool is so small because you're usually counting out the people that never leave the house and can't function in any social setting.
>>
>>46435121
post what u got
Or do what i do - convert the Mines starter set into your own setting
>>
>>46435141
>Midwest
Kyrie eleison, you poor soul.
>>
>>46435121
Decide on your major conflict, and decide on your setting. Decide on, if any, the class/race/backstory restrictions for the party.

Come up with several possible hooks you can use to pull the party into your story. Be prepared to throw all these out the window and improvise.

Come up with several minor conflicts your party can encounter on the way to the major conflict. Be prepared to throw all these out the window as well.

Stat out your major conflict. Make it interesting and climactic. Be prepared to find this wholly inadequate and improvise like a motherfucker.

Do a few touch-ups - for example, come up with NPCs you can drop wherever appropriate into the story, and locations for your setting. Above all, design them to be used flexibly. Your party is liable not to do what you expected them to.

And, lastly, be prepared to improvise like a motherfucker.
>>
>>46435056
>>46433958

Also, low shouldn't just mean 25-10% hp. Someone actually needs to hit 0 hp.

It's even better when they aren't expecting it. Something like an ogre vs low levels, or an encounter with a vampire or aboleth that has legendary action would be something people expect to be difficult.

Throwing in a phase spider or an assassin wearing regular clothes among normal enemies can put someone in the negatives before they realize it was a threat.
>>
File: lg-promo-art-attack-1.jpg (27 KB, 288x269) Image search: [Google]
lg-promo-art-attack-1.jpg
27 KB, 288x269
>>46435121
Personally nothing should be really set in stone. Just give the idea of location, ask them why they may be in the area, pertaining to events or whatever in the area, like a festival or some shit. Once they are there give them a hook from some noble or whatever that they may recognize from maybe the festival, or run a problem that happens during the event in which they feel well encouraged enough to go on the adventure. Give some small maps, winding places, weird NPCs, and a strong enemy(s). And there you have it, an adventure that can be done in a session.
>>
>>46434310
Kobold Fight Club is invaluable for encounter design imo.
>>
>>46424707
>>someone on the team just thinks psion is a stupid word
Pretty much this. And it's not just team members. There's some anti-psion fans, obviously.

>>46425054
Psions are basically more magical monks. Western monks.
>>
Ran Death House, characters looted the crystal chandelier, how much gp you think its worth?
>>
>>46434441

Not that anon but, as a new DM, I find it tedious to have to make maps for 4-6 encounters per day every day of adventure. Any tips on how to deal with that more efficiently?
>>
>CoS, roll a fighter
>No vendor sells Splint Mail
What the fuck
>>
File: interest - Copy.png (12 KB, 432x494) Image search: [Google]
interest - Copy.png
12 KB, 432x494
>>46434627
There is achance that it will end up better than the standard array. It could also end up far more interesting to have more varied stats.

Of course, this is only if you roll the numbers first and then assign them to the scores you want. Rolling 6 times, applying them in order down the list on the sheet just takes away all the agency in character creation.
>>
Cthulhufag here. Finally finished writing the thing (aside from the inevitable rebalances/fixes/etc.), and it turns out the final version is too big to be posted on /tg/. Fuck.

Well, here's the "monster manual" section I've spent the last few days working on. The formatting is shit because the program has some problem with the statblocks (putting two non-wide statblocks on the same page causes one to mess up, and sometimes they seem to mess up for no real reason). Thsi was the only way I could get all the statblocks to look like they should and actually stay in place when I switched to printer view.
>>
>>46434949
Yeah, when you're playing a race with two +1s you want the two odd numbers anyway so you're probably playing something very similar to the array anyway.
>>
>>46435186
>post what u got
k

>party are passengers on a large ship that wrecks
>wash up on shore of super-religious bumfuck islandville
>one of the villagers is a nerdy kawaii cleric girl planning to murder and eat the immortal island guardian (who may or may not be a humanoid) thereby becoming a vampire
>the ship was carrying a sealed dragon whose poison breath is going to start killing all the fish and fucking up the villagers who eat them until the party goes out to the shipwreck and murders it
>there's a cult or something that kills a bunch of people then sits there and waits for the party to stab them to death and don't fight back because the end times are coming
>>
Make a Google Drive for your homebrew and post it there. Maybe with some other homebrew stuff and post the link in the OP.
>>
>>46435540
I prefer to end with two odd numbers after CC so I can increase two ability scores at level 4. Feels like a really big leap.
>>
File: absolutedisgust.gif (6 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
absolutedisgust.gif
6 MB, 640x266
>running CoS with some new people and some pf vets
>large group, they haven't had much trouble
>I even fudged a roll once
>session 3, one of the pf players remarks to me that this campaign is much more hardcore than they are used to
>ask what he means
>well normally we do 5d6 drop 2, and take max hit die every level

how is playing like that even close to fun?
>>
>>46435500
You're in a land that's been isolated and oppressed by a vampire overlord for 400 years, anon.
>>
>>46435585
>5d6 drop 2, and take max hit die every level

Where do these people even come from?
>>
>>46435615
Vidya, mostly.
>>
>>46435585
My group used to take max hit die every level, but I've never heard of 5d6 drop 2.
>>
>>46435476
Well once you get more and more experience at it, you will learn to have templates and rebrand some old maps with twists by attaching pieces of other dungeons to it. Of course you wouldn't want to do that to the same party so they have to experience the goblin den 20 times but this time with spiders, kobolds, etc.

Honestly the whole cookie cutter idea does seem kinda half-assed, but usually your main dungeon or main hook, should be made by hand. it gives some fun in how different dungeons are constructed by the people that inhabit it. Maybe there are switches that can only be seen by low-light vision PCs or traps that are pressure sensitive to a certain weight because most of the enemies there are small.
>>
>>46429217
Kenseis are litterally battle Masters that follow the oath of devotion paladino tenets, but OK.
I think I have something here, that is shit, like any other homebrew, gimme a sec.
>>
>>46431116
You can run around someone so there's no problem aiming the knockback unless you're jumping in the middle of a multiple man melee.
>>
>>46433399
easy solution. if the wizz contiues to attack the barb, the barb should just retaliate ingame accordingly. keep the role play ALL the way, no character setting baring a SM couple takes passive aggressive punishment without retaliation. as in "It's what the barbarian would do".

everyone benefits from having a conflict situation played out to its end. having a group with different alignments or internal power struggles enrich the game experience. ideally you as a dm should have sufficient knowledge of conflict management to supervise and entice the players actions to keep the situation civilized and interesting.
>>
>>46433399
Sit down and talk like adults, not be passive aggressive 4 year olds.

Wizard guy's a cunt. Just a grade A shit head.
>>
File: 1459621306260.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1459621306260.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46434310
1)Don't put too much effort in things (the less frustration when players blow up the dungeon instead of crawling through)
2)Still do put effort in environment and NPCs'/BBEG's motivations and character
3)Don't railroad, for Mork's sake, just don't.
>>
>>46435719
>Goofus

>>46435749
>Gallant
>>
>>46433325
Can you upload a fullsize version somewhere?
>>
>>46431903
>facts
>opinions
Pick one.
>>
>>46435515
grognard here, why does 5e have so many hit points, goddamn
>>
File: 1393556080320.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1393556080320.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46435121
Heya, I've got somethin' for you
>>46435769
+file related
>>
>>46435500
But there are four sets of plate in Death House!

... I kid, they are welded and so cannot be used. No 6000 gp worth of armor for you!
>>
>>46435890
Because that's the only thing that still goes up like it used to.
>>
>>46435515
Based.
Can you upload the whole thing on mega?
>>
>>46435515
> too big to be posted on /tg/
FileSize Anon has won.
>>
>>46435552
>>46435515
>>
>>46434672
I have an 8 strength sorc that has been grappled twice, both times winning. Great moments for sure.
>>
>>46435056
The people you're talking about shouldn't be playing D&D. In D&D, characters can die. That's how the game works. If they don't like that, they should go play some other game.
If you fudge dice rolls, you and they are not playing D&D, you are merely pretending to. Play games you games you like, don't pretend to play games you don't actually like.
>>
>>46436006
>telling people not to pretend in a game of pretend.

My players aren't pretending to play DnD. From their perspective, they are. From my perspective, they aren't, but it doesn't matter, because we're all having fun anyways.

But seriously, what you just posted was ludicrous.
>>
>>46433399
>Barbarian constantly trying to intimidate doors
To be fair though, as a wizard, I'd probably be annoyed by the low intelligence barbarian who yells at doors as well.

>"it's what my character would do"
What is the alignment and background of the wizard? is he some sort of snotty noble? I could probably see being hating uncultured or uneducated people a thing, if it sort of ties together.

As for the barbarian I would encourage him to act as a barbarian. Unleash the rage, and just show who fucks around. Have him hire some highwaymen and just raid him down to show who wears the metaphorical pants in the campaign. In the end you might get a good story out of it.

Overall, you should probably talk to them about it, I mean both are there for some reason or another, so I assume it's because they like doing D&D
>>
>>46435609
Sounds like armor would be in high demand then. Also, I need it to tank
>>
>>46433958
Said this like, 1 million times.

Don't kill characters. Don't set out with the intention of killing characters. Your characters will get themselves killed by making poor decisions or by rolling extremely poorly.

If they decide to charge into an Orc encampment with only themselves, yeah, they'll probably die. But that's because of a decision they made, not because you ambushed them in the middle of the night via some randomly rolled event that wasn't provoked by the players and just killed them off.
>>
File: Map.jpg (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
1 MB, 1024x768
>>46433378
Honestly I used inkarnate to construct my map and used the hexagon tool. At least at that rate things will look rigid on purpose.
>>
>>46429217
High Cha Battlemaster with a bard level and plays a flute.

Anything else?
>>
>>46436063
>I need it to tank
>I play D&D as an MMO, please rape my face
>>
>>46435585
To be fair having good scores in 3/pf was a lot more important than it is now and MAD was a much bigger problem back then.
Rolling for hit point was, is and always will be complete and total bullshit.
>>
>>46435552
>>46436001
Should probably do that.

Here's the classes part, anyway. The warlock and cleric ones should be pretty well balanced at this point (I've gotten a lot of feedback for the warlock ones, and the cleric is simply some GOOlock abilities and slightly edited actual cleric domain abilities), but the rest probably less so. Recently changed the druid and I'm not entirely sure of it yet. There's a couple of big change I've had in mind for it, but dunno if they'd make it better or worse.
>>
>>46431777
yeah, I added up his shit and he comes out as a CR 12.

I think I'll just give the PCs some back up when the storm the castle.
>>
File: dcss2[1].png (122 KB, 745x652) Image search: [Google]
dcss2[1].png
122 KB, 745x652
>>46435056
You never played a roguelike or DF?

LOSING IS FUN! If you lose hillariously.
>>
>>46435542
>Yeah, when you're playing a race with two
Sounds fine m8, though that cleric girl is kinda meh for me desu
>>
>>46433863
You're an idiot. If you cannot work a little random into your universe for the sake of enjoyment, especially since the wizard is the only one who has a problem with it, then you shouldn't be playing RPGs, and it is certainly not the DM's or the group's place to side with the person who is ruining everyone's fun, I don't care how much you need his powers of illusion, he's wrong. The whole point of 'play' in mammals is enjoyment, if you playing a game steps on someone's enjoyment, or is devoted entirely to ensuring someone is NOT having fun, you are doing it wrong and also retarded for not knowing how games work. If you cannot stand someone else enjoying themselves you literally suffer from psychopathic narcissism, and if you think feeling that way makes you correct it's a full blown inferiority complex. I don't know why you faggot grognard autists have to RUIN this hobby for everyone, but you fucks are everywhere, you act like your shitty 'no-fun-allowed-because-setting-is-srsbzns' behavior is not only allowed but warranted, and I for one cannot stand it. I have been playing ttrpgs and wargames for almost thirty years and IT'S YOUR FAULT WE CANNOT HAVE NICE THINGS AND WE HAD TO DOWNPLAY OUR INTERESTS UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO. Don't forget that. YOU have carefully cultivated the negative reputation and stereotypes our hobby has attached to it, only to complain that no one takes TT seriously and everyone has these negative preconceived notions about it, you did that.
>>
>>46436177
Rogue and DF are solitary and automated. Restarting in those is relatively effortless.
>>
>>46436197

tl;dr
>>
>>46429462
Are you dumb?

At lvl 1 your martial arts feature lets you spend your bonus action to make an unarmed strike after spending your action on an attack action.

At lvl2 your Ki feature Flurry of blows lets you spend your bonus action and 1 ki to make two unarmed strikes.

At lvl 5 you get extra attack which lets you attack twice for the cost of your action.

That's 4 Attacks at lvl5 for the cost of 1 ki, 1 Action and 1 bonus action.

Read the PHB again.
>>
>>46429911
No actually it's 2d8+Dex mod +2d(MA die).
>>
File: V6JQtnz.jpg (436 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
V6JQtnz.jpg
436 KB, 1600x1200
>>46433911
Here you go.

Big difference from where I'm sitting is Krod's a lot more interesting and charming than >>46433399's problem barb sounds. Plus, his wackiness comes largely from RP situations.
>>
>>46436315
Spear or Quarterstaff, nigger?
>>
>>46436097
>Portsmouth
>Penrith
I'd find it really distracting playing with towns named after places I've personally visited.
>>
>>46436117
>What is a sentinel bodyguard for a spirit guardians optimized war cleric 10 feet behind him
>>
So I'm playing fighter, level 3 start. Thinking EK.

Bastard son of the youngest and drunkest of a noble house.

Was thinking of going shifter,and maybe going Dex focused for the physical side.

I was talking with some of the party and the DM said it was a bit of a gimped build.

Are there any solid dex builds for EK or is just strength to the face with a side of INT the best option?
>>
>>46436496
>not a Shadow Sorcerer 1/Crown Paladin 7 with Polearm Master and a Halfling Hand Crossbow Battle Master with Mounted Combatant riding on his shoulders
How boring.
>>
>>46436544
There are definitely viable Dex builds for a Fighter. Offhand, you could go ranged with a hand crossbow and Crossbow Expert, or melee with a shield and rapier. You just won't be as optimized for one single thing as some other Fighters, instead trading that out for spellcasting.
>>
File: xoj7TzJ.jpg (36 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
xoj7TzJ.jpg
36 KB, 640x361
>>46436434
I ran it through fantasy town generators and tried to find something that kind of resembled the patrons in the area.

Though I don't see the problem too much with those names. At least it isn't as bad as the DM I played shadowrun with who decided that Neo-Toronto was a good fucking name for a futuristic setting.
>>
>>46436544
Honestly, Int only matters for EK if you focus your spell selection on blasting rather than abjuration to protect yourself. Dex based EK totally works, just don't TWF.
>>
>>46436153
The changes I had in mind for the druid were

>Maybe boost the assimilate form CR from 1 to 2, as that would give access to more creatures you normally can't shapeshift though. It's a level 10 ability so I'm not sure how much use you'd actually get form being able to get extra wild shape charges to turn into CR1 creatures, but only if you have fresh corpses of said creatures around.

>Maybe replace the aura ability. I feel it isn't particularly interesting. I was thinking of maybe replacing it with an ability to shape your body by using wild shape (growing claws or wings or tentacles), although that might ovelap too much with the sorcerer origin I made and make the spec revolve too much on weird mutation stuff.

>The last ability is admittably somewhat strange in how it works, being a sort-of wildshape but not really (you don't change you profile into that of another creature, but just change your types and gain some buffs and a new attack). It might work smoother if I made it work more like the CoM druid's elemental shape (ie. use two charges of wildshape to turn into a CR5 or less aberration). Might also move it to the same level as that abiliy is, then, buffing the current 10th level ability to the new highest level one.
>>
How useful are divination spells? I know Guidance and Foresight are good, but I mean the ones that are information gathering (arcane eye, clairvoyance, scrying)
I want to make a diviner wizard, but I don't want to pick up a bunch of useless spells that are never going to come up
>>
>>46436544
The biggest problem with Dex build is that using a two hander lets you do somatic components / use a component pouch without dropping your weapon, whereas sword and board / TWF can't. Also, using a two hander is better for damage than the other two. Eldritch Charge and the weapon cantrips don't work very well with ranged weapons either.

You could perhaps ask if you could use your Bound Weapon as an Arcane Focus which could make a really tanky Dex build with a rapier and a shield good. Not sure it'd be better than Battlemaster though.
>>
>>46436714
>two hander lets you do somatic components / use a component pouch without dropping your weapon, whereas sword and board / TWF can't.
RAW I don't think that's the case, RAI/Sage Advice you can hold the weapon with the shield hand like you can hold a 2hander in one hand or two shortswords in one hand if TWF, as long as it's just briefly during the turn and not out of turn.
>>
>>46436687
Depends on your DM. If your DM inflexibly expects you to defeat everything through combat and doesn't like you bypassing entire portions of the adventure through blackmail or information warfare (which applies to an unfortunate number of DMs), you won't get much use out of divination spells.

Without additional information, I'd recommend you cover yourself in combat before going for more outside-the-box spells.
>>
>>46436544

dex fighter isn't gimped but it's no benefits unless you choose to go ranged.

if you want a few specific low level spells, multi-classing wizard and fighter would be better.
>>
Anyone got that pdf of Alchemy that /tg/ homebrewed?
>>
>>46436757
>it's no benefit
+5 or so to initiative rolls, and plate equivalent AC without having to buy plate from Mage Armour both seem fairly beneficial vs the better Athletics score for shove/grapple. Dex skills can be useful too - 20 Dex vs 10 Dex in heavy armour is like +10 to Stealth checks, as an example.
>>
>>46436948
Not to mention, Dex saves are far more frequent than Str saves.
>>
>>46436948

ek doesn't get many spell slots. using one to replace what fighter can easily get as a class feature is a benefit to strength for me. +5 on initiative rolls is something you can get with alert feat, which also compensates for low detection against enemies. strength isn't just for initiating grapples but also defending against them

>>46437029

there are more spells and affects that have dex saves, but creatures that grapple and pronate initiate the strength check with greater frequency. whichever save you use more frequently is entirely on the dm.
>>
>>46437096
>grapple and pronate initiate the strength check with greater frequency.
Grapple is resisted with either Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics), not a Strength check.

What's pronate, by the way?
>>
>>46437136
I think he meant Prone.

That said, Pronate sounds like it would be a multivitamin for pregnant women.
>>
File: pronate.jpg (20 KB, 768x70) Image search: [Google]
pronate.jpg
20 KB, 768x70
>>46437136

effects that knock prone, ie tripping.

>>46437162

pronate is the correct word. look it up
>>
File: 1351385909109.png (16 KB, 691x597) Image search: [Google]
1351385909109.png
16 KB, 691x597
>>46437176
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pronation

I'm confused.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.