[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sci-Fi Materials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-04-02-20-06-32-144936188.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-02-20-06-32-144936188.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
Sup /tg/.

I'm making a light science fiction game for my players and they really enjoy crafting systems. I'd like some ideas as to what rare materials could be found in space and their uses.
>Titanium Isotopes
Used to create advanced armor and ship hulls.
>Extinction Oils
It's just the alien term for gasoline, only found on planets with extinction events. Used for making faster engines (faster then electric) and typical bombs and stuff.
>Hyper wave Material
Used to send communications FTL. Makes advanced walkie talkies and used for probes and such.
>Molecule Binder
Super super glue, used to make advanced armors and increase ship size
>Super Conductives
Used for advanced electronics and high effeciency battery storage
>Crystal Energizer
Crystal that focuses light and radiation. Used to create more advanced laser weapons and holograms.

This is a basic/obvious list I cooked up, but I want some more ideas. Anything mote esoteric would also be welcome.

Also general Sci-Fi thread, I guess.
>>
>>46426278
>Post-Transuranic Alloy
Alloys created using stable isotopes of large atoms. Used in the creation of extremely strong armor and very high energy power cells.

>Space-Time Knot
Used in the creation of anti-gravity devices and extremely destructive warheads, can only be produced by advanced manufacturing facilities with gravity control systems or space-time anomalies.
>>
>Primordial micro black hole
Key component of black hole engine, which allows 100% mass to energy conversion without anti-matter

>Magnetic monopole
Used to create extremely strong electromagnetic fields, used for all sorts of things like cosmetic ray protection field for ships, magnetic confinement fusion or even star lifting

>flerovium-298, unbinilium-304 and unbihexium-310
Naturally occurring super-heavy element, is super-duper fission fuel
>>
>>46426966
>cosmetic ray protection field for ships
What purpose would that serve? Deep space disco raves?
>>
>>46426278
>hyper wave material
instead fluff it as quantum entanglement communication. entangled particals interact over great distance without any (currently) detectable means. perfect for dedicated point to point coms.

>>46427393
so you dont get cooked by all that gamma radiation stars puke out. but yes a disco light show is space would be pretty dope.

cool things to find would obviously be less advanced life, like animal level. a lush verdant world populated with all kinds of plants and animals ripe for exploration.

relics from an extinct(?) race of beings. could be anything from derelict ships, stargates or entire craft worlds overgrown and abandoned full of plot hooks and areas for your players to determine the course of the adventure for a time.
>>
>cryoarithmetric engines
Using quantum computation to violate a law in thermodynamics which when calculating, acts as a heat sync. Used to create stealth for ships by hiding heat/infrared radiation.
>hypo metric weapons
Violate local space time to remove inertia from any given volume in space.

These are from Alastair Reynolds revelation space opera
>>
File: Revelation Space Lighthugger.jpg (6 MB, 6000x2457) Image search: [Google]
Revelation Space Lighthugger.jpg
6 MB, 6000x2457
>>46428803
Uh, weren't the hypometric weapons the "slightly acausal" ones that create a sphere of "now you're in another universe - maybe"?
I don't believe the reactionless devices had an actual name iirc.

>>46427393
Eh, didn't notice before you pointed it. Obviously anon meant cosmic rays. Cosmetic rays sounds pretty cool, tough.

>>46426278
Extinction oils to make engines faster
I know that's meant to be soft as all hell sci-fi but we're exploring the negative of the Mohs scale, here. As someone who has run a quite hard-Sf game for the last couple of years and turned perfectly average joes into quite hardcore space and sci-fi nerds, do not underestimate the enjoyment and satisfaction your player can find in being taken as smart people able to cope with a modicum of hardness.
>>
>Deuterium
I think Deuterium is a perfectly fine fuel source for your standard needs. Being an isotope of Hydrogen, its extreamly easy to aquire for a space fairing peoples. For a little extra oomph, you could use Helium 3 instead.
>>
> metallic hydrogen

mined from the deep layers of gas giants where incredible pressures have converted the hydrogen of the atmosphere into a room-temperature superconductor.
>>
>>46428803
>>cryoarithmetric engines
>Using quantum computation to violate a law in thermodynamics which when calculating, acts as a heat sync. Used to create stealth for ships by hiding heat/infrared radiation.

Maxwell's Demon sounds like a cooler name honestly
>>
Ten foot laser pole
>>
>>46431877
>heat sync
Um- Is that the aluminium part that sits on the CPU and... synchronizes it with the air flow?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.