[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inverted Earth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 18
File: Map.png (4 MB, 2000x1189) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
4 MB, 2000x1189
Inverted Earth
Thread 1: >>46394402
Thread 2: >>46407370
ITT We discuss rules for combat and war.
>>
File: CivilizationSheetChart.png (25 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
CivilizationSheetChart.png
25 KB, 1000x900
>Name
What's your nation is called
>Color
This is obvious

>Culture
How rich/developed your nation's arts are
>Military
How powerful your nation's military is
>Resources
How much raw stuff your nation has
>Population
How many people fill your nation
>Technology
How advanced your nation is, from the beginning of agriculture to 1700s europe.
>Magic
How skilled the people of your nation are in the arcane
>Religion
How religious your nation is.

>Government
What type of government rules your nation
>Religion
Who do your people worship?

>Resources
List of the resources within your nation.
>Technology
What technological improvements has your nation invented?

Each nation starts with 25 points to put into their stats
>>
File: CivSheet.png (2 MB, 5000x3600) Image search: [Google]
CivSheet.png
2 MB, 5000x3600
Current Civilizations thus far.
>>
Is there any way to increase our culture point like with an event?
>>
File: Image.png (43 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
43 KB, 1000x900
>>46420420
>Tfw not on
>>
it's ded
>>
>>46420926
Don't say that! ;_;
>>
>>46420926
>>46420967
Perhaps we should do a cosmic retcon? Resetting the universe and discuss rules before we begin?
>>
I am back.

What's new?
>>
>>46421036
I assume everyone else is sleeping or busy with stuff.
>>
File: 1443673879630.jpg (48 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
1443673879630.jpg
48 KB, 500x384
>>46421012
I'd say give it a little bit, and see if we can get more people to confer before going ahead with it.
>>
>>46421012
Hmm, I don't know. We would need about most of everyone here for that.
>>
File: Morp.png (4 MB, 2000x1189) Image search: [Google]
Morp.png
4 MB, 2000x1189
>>46421086
I'm here. I'll be neutral on the retcon.
>>
Yeah maybe we should restart and play on a smaller map since there are less of us now.
>>
File: PoliticalMap.jpg (692 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
PoliticalMap.jpg
692 KB, 2000x1000
>>46421012
>>46421036
>>46421086
>>46421087
>>46421158
If we do a retcon, I say we should have a slightly altered map, with oceans splitting the lands into continents, or use a world generator.
>>
File: Final Snek copy.jpg (245 KB, 1024x719) Image search: [Google]
Final Snek copy.jpg
245 KB, 1024x719
>>46421186
Maybe we can use something like this. idk.
>>
>>46421012

I was thinking maybe use several stats to roll for things. So for war you could add up, say, military, tech and population as they're all relevant to who wins, it stops a nation with a single huge stat easily winning that field so much, but means a nation with high in all the things that effect something will still be very good at it.

If you were rolling for something trade based you could use resources, population, culture or something.

Basically whatever you can make work given the specific event you're rolling about.

Plus a dice roll, of course.

What do folks think?
>>
>>46421216
Yeah, certain military-based tech could be involved for attacks, and defense-based tech could be involved for defense rolls.
We could do war based off of how much soldiers a nation is willing to afford, with a population limit. Once all their soldiers are gone or they surrender, the other nation wins. We should also do dice+1d50 or dice+1d100 for rolls.
>>
>>46421158
>>46421208
Eh, I feel like we should still use a larger map like Inverted Earth, maybe even bigger.
>>
>>46420223
Apologies if there is some kind of misunderstanding. Let's look at your terms:

>We shall establish a trading post on the south border and begin planning a relevant port and plan basic roads and we will build and hold control of the port.
I took this to mean that you would maintain rigid control over the port and the goods moving through it. This runs counter to the purpose of our STI trading posts, which exist to facilitate free travel and trade.

>However royal house will appriciate donations and investments for the project and will look most favorably those who do and will not leave them unrewarded.
This seems like you wish for us to help fund a port to which we may or may not have full access, which is a bit one-sided.

Now, my impression of those statements might be totally off the wall, but we have no interest in partially participating in trade. We, as a people, are fully devoted to open trade.

>The royal house naturally does not intend to opress trade only disliking the thought of foreing power having a direct say on a port inside our borders. This caused a protest from the representatives of guilds and while we could ignore them we prefer to let our citizens have peace of mind.
I see the problem.

First, your artisans and merchants only stand to profit from the STI. Facilitating free trade means that they will have access to our goods, our shipping lanes, and our foreign markets. They have no reason to be upset whatsoever.

Second, your worries make me think we should discuss logistics. We have no intention of policing or otherwise imposing our laws on a city in your borders. Being an STI trading post simply means that you agree to allow our merchants free access to the port. That means the freedom to move along trade roads without harassment, the freedom to transport goods without an undue tax burden, and the freedom to operate independently in shipping lanes.

You would be free to suggest fair tax rates and operate under your own laws.
>>
>>46421216
>>46421302
>>46421363
In addition, we should also have more stats, like Economy and such.
>>
File: NewKoldenweltTestMap copy.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
NewKoldenweltTestMap copy.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1000
>>46421363
Hmmm?
>>
I'm against a retcon. I've already had a lot of fun and accomplished quite a lot outside of battle, and the current boundaries are pretty much unchanged despite the wars that have occurred.
>>
>>46421516
Eh, I feel that it needs more continents and it is still too small. We could also do a hex-map, as this would make mapping territory, war, and other such things easier.
>>
>>46421559

I don't know, if we try and make it too complicated we'll never get anything done, same as if it's too vague. If we're going that all in, someone needs to put a lot of time in as GM.
>>
Maybe we should vote on whether or not to retcon and start over.
>>
>>46421613
We could do a map the size of the Inverted Earth or bigger but with hexes, and a simple symbol that represents mountainous/artic/desert/forest/jungle/volcanic, etc. We could make the map similar to Inverted Earth but with differences like more regions and having actual continents.
>>
>>46420390
Why not "race" option? Is it all just humans (and one lich)?
>>
>>46421613
We could also split up resources, as iron and silk are both drastically different types of resources, one is a luxury and the other is more vital. I think we would just need to establish a few guidelines and such.
>>46421740
Choose whatever you want for race, we have scorpionpeople, dwarfs, fauns, etc.
>>
My thoughts will be with you all as you attempt to bring order to this madness. I'll be offline for now.

Hopefully when I get back everything will be sorted.
>>
We should also take in consideration, food.
>>46421740
>>46421765
Perhaps traits based on race and fluff could also be used, but decided by the player, if they have a too OP trait, it could be vetoed by a majority.
>>
>>46421636
I vote retcon.
>>
>>46421435
>After receiving a the message and sounds of slapping te face echoing around pulgia palace a courier is sent to posthaste to STI to explain situation.

Basically the following is what we ment
-"investment and donations for the project "
- STI may freely invest with any resources like artisans and builders while financing of the port.
- "will look most favorably those who do and will not leave them unrewarded"
-you will get freetrade rights and protection of the royal house while operating inside our borders

In otherwords it is still your deal as suggested but inside our borders under we require pretense of royal house of Gail having control of the deal because idiots being scared of foreigners and not understanding a good deal.

On remake vote against.
>>
>>46421636
Voting for Retconning.
>>
>>46421613
As much as I like Builders, turning this into one may kill it.

>>46421636
Retcon
>>
>>46421516
>>46421559
>>46421765

Okay, if we're doing a reset, then I very much support this version. If we have a smaller area to work with, we should feel obligated to claim less area and act as smaller states that have to build up strength instead of continent-sized powers.

We can put specific limits on what you can claim with certain stat investments, one point in resources, for example, equals one type of good or an expansion on one type of good you already possess. One point in technology provides a basic tech, and an additional point can increase your potency in that technology or provide another technology.

We would need specific rules for warfare and other competitive endeavors.
>>
>>46421636
I'm against a retcon for now, but if things keep dragging on then I will change to be for.
>>
>>46422027
Yeah and we need race characteristics.
>>
>>46422027
Roll a die (or dice?) with bonuses based on tech/terrain/other relevant factors.
>>
Alright it is 5 to 1 on retcon so far.
>>
Alright, post your ideas for a retcon of Inverted Earth here.
-More water to seperate land into Continents
-Military-based Tech as a bonus to Attacking
-Defense-based Tech as a bonus against Attacking
-War is based off how much soldiers a nation is willing to afford, once a nations soldiers are all gone or they surrender, the other wins
-dice+1d50 or dice+1d100 for rolls
-Economy stat
-Hex Map, with symbols representing each biome
-Traits based off of race or food, if too OP, they can be vetoed by a majority
>>46422027
>>46422108
I support the hex map, and it could also just be white hexes and blue water hexes, and we can fill the white hexes with whatever biome(s) we want like volcanic, jungle, etc
>>
>>46422249
*Nation not food
Also
-Food is more vital, and if you have an excess your population grows, less, and it drops. Your nation can temporarily stop reproduction or do only X amount.
-Turns (This might require a GM, but I believe there is a way to make it happen without one)
>>
>palgia
Seems im on minority and since things are going a face reshuffle in multiple ways i take my chance to disengage myself from this because I lost my personal investment on this.
Peace out
>>
>>46422410
Aw man
>>
>>46422469
What happens now?
>>
>>46422249
im to lazy to engage in all that
>>
Yeah, that all just got way too complicated.

The fun in this was the simplicity. Make a nation, act it out.

We need to set limits on what you can claim for your nation, and we need basic war rules, but otherwise it should just be negotiated as it has been.
>>
>>46422933
In war, each side rolls 1d10+x where x=whatever advantage you feel is worth a bonus. If you lose, your military bonus is reduced by 1, and if you're the attacker, you have the choice to fall back or sue for peace. If your military bonus falls to zero, and you have no allies, you lose. Allied rolls add together.

We did a lot with no real rules, so let's not make an intensive hex map or complex rules. If I wanted to do that, I'd play Civilization.
>>
>>46423014
Eh, I dont like that.
It should be bigger, like 1d100. The discussed rules can easily be simplified.
>>
>>46423068
So your bonus is meaningless?
>>
>>46423134
Or something like 2d50, with your bonus being added to both rolls.
>>
>>46423164
And what is the benefit of this?
>>
>>46423251
Because being able to get a +10 bonus on a 1d10 is pretty shitty.
>>
>>46422028
>>46422410
Same. I'm against a retcon and against overly drowning this in stats. Going to bed anyways, but peace. Bao Ren and Oppana managed to at least conquer the north, but I don't really have much any desire to play an overly-complicated system in a retcon'd world.
>>
Would any of you guys be okay with a complicated system?

Because I can do that.
>>
>>46421960
>>46422001
Faceless fuckers voting for something they are not a part of. Very nice.
>>
Is anyone still here?
>>
>>46424070
>t. Anon
>>
>>46424089
yeh.

I'd throw out ideas for mechanics, but it seems to go against what everyone wants.
>>
You know what guys im thinking about starting a new thread using this map.>>46421516

Tell me if you'd be interested.
>>
>>46424094
An anon that also isn't enough of a smeghead to vote on scrapping a setting he didn't help create.

>t. Faggot
>>
File: Map.png (4 MB, 2000x1189) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
4 MB, 2000x1189
>>46423346
So do a d20. Honestly, it's not terrible. Two +1s allied together can take on a +10, but a +10 against a +1 is guaranteed a victory. There's balance in that.

>>46422410
Rough seeing you go, buddy. I took the liberty of finalizing our deal, since we were both invested in it.

Now that this is coming to an end, I'd like to take a moment to truly appreciate the accomplishments of the South. When Shi' dik formed, people laughed at it. They didn't think that Shi' dik would go anywhere. They didn't want to look at Shi' dik. They didn't want to be around Shi' dik.

And now, look at that map. Shi' dik came up with the STI. With the help of our allies, Shi' dik has spread STI all over the world. And I couldn't be prouder of how far STI has spread.
>>
>>46423983
Not really, no.
>>46424067
Yeah, I'd be okay with a more complex system then we have currently, a hex map would also be nice for territory and war.
>>46424110
Throw out some ideas.
>>46424114
I'd prefer the Inverted Earth but with Hexes and more continents. Perhaps we can have blank spaces for land, which can be filled in with biome(s)
>>
>>46424140
Alright. I'll attempt to make an inverted hex map.
>>
>>46424114
Yeah, I'd be good with that.

Rules light, but with clearer victory conditions for warfare, since someone's going to focus on that.
>>
>>46424270
I'll wait until a few more people accept my proposition.
>>
Alright here is the new thread.
No.46424443
Please don't be mad.
>>
>>46424140
TIME FOR COMPLEX

ROUGH DRAFT OF OVERLY COMPLEX RULESET:

>Turns
Turns. They exist. Every, let's say 30 minutes, new turn.

>Actions
You get two a turn. Build stuff, raise an army, convince people of something, whatever.

Diplomacy costs no actions.

Large Scale actions require more than one turn. Like building a road network or something.

Risky or Competitive actions (IE: war) require dice

>Dice
1d20 per thing involved. Bonuses based on tech and physical features. Bonuses are +1 unless otherwise specified.

>War
You're invading another country/getting invaded.

If it's contested, roll those dice. If it's not, take the hex(hexes?)

>Resources
Each level of this represents a resource your country has. If you don't have a resource, you can’t use it.

Either expand or trade to get a resource you don’t have.
You choose your starting resources, and can improve on them by building stuff like lumber yards or mines or whatever. When/If you claim unclaimed land, roll a d20 to see if you get something. If it’s above 15, you get something. If it’s 20, you get something WONDEROUS (Fountain of Youth, Money Tree, etc)

Be reasonable and don't choose "I-Win-Every-Battle-ium" as a resource.

>Technology
An arbitrary number representing your general grasp on technology. The higher it is, the easier it is to develop or produce more complex techs.

Each tech you develop starts at 1 (IE: Farming I). You can improve it up to your Technology Level. (IE: Farming I -> Farming II). You can’t improve a tech beyond your Technology level. To improve your Technology level, roll a 1d10 – (Technology level) + (number of techs at your max level). If the result is higher than 10, up you go.

>Magic
It's like technology, except cooler. And riskier. You're gonna need to roll more often for it, but it can pull cooler stuff off. Same rules as Technology. Religion-based magic is less risky, but gives less bonuses.

cont.
>>
>>46424497

>Population
It represents how many people you have. Your military stat can't go higher than this, because you'd run out of manpower otherwise!

You'll also need to feed it, but that would make the game WAY too complicated, so just make sure you have at least one food resource and we'll let it slide.

How to increase it: Roll a d20 - (Your Total Population) + (How much foodstuff you have/have traded for/have built buildings for). If it's higher than 20, you get another pop.

Be reasonable and don't FOODSPAM.

>Military:
It represents how many people signed up (or were forced to) to fight. Can't go higher than your population.

To fight a battle, you need to commit at least one level of this stat. Each additional level commited gives a +1 bonus to the fight at hand.
>Hexes:
It’s color coded for your convenience.
Green: Grassland/Forest. Usually a place to find FOOD.
Blue: Sea. Fish n’ shit.
Brown: Mountains. Find minerals n stuff here.
Tan: Desert. Not a great place.
White: Tundra. Also not a great place.
>>
>>46424487
Sorry didn't post link correctly.
>>46424443
>>
>>46424524
Is it overly complex?

Yes.

>>46424487
That's not how you link threads!

>>46424443
>>
>>46424545
Yes I'm an idiot I'm sorry.
>>
>>46424524
We should also have other biomes like
>Volcanic, Bad place but surprisingly good soil
>Jungle
>Savanna
>>
>>46424497
>>46424524
We could also have Economy, which can be used to increase a roll of building something, technology, military attack, and military defense.
>>
>>46424524
>>46424709
Additionally
>Cavern/Underground
>Deep Sea
>Swamps
>>
>>46424709
Accurate ideas, but I have no idea how to implement it without whipping out a biome chart, and then things get CRAZY complex.

>>46424739
I personally feel like the economy can effectively be "arbitrarily represented" by resources and buildings. The more moving parts people have to worry about, the more likely they are to get frustrated rather than have fun.
>>
File: 988556587698.jpg (484 KB, 752x950) Image search: [Google]
988556587698.jpg
484 KB, 752x950
>>46420368

>See thread
>Seems cool
>Check map
>"Taj yr Akna"

Oh fugg
>>
>>46424487
>>46424536
>>46424545
Weren't we waiting for Southern Kingdoms Anon?
>>46424804
Biomes could be more fluff and trait-based, so a volcanic could have advantages in forging, and quality soil.
>>
>>46424849
No that was me. I just decided to take off my name because i figured we'd all be making new countries.
>>
>>46424899
Aw, I was hoping for the hex map.
>>
>>46424923
Oh, sorry. i just figured this map would be more simple.
>>
File: System.png (81 KB, 1000x1031) Image search: [Google]
System.png
81 KB, 1000x1031
I was making a system.
Is this too complicated?
I can make it simpler but i can't see it working without the stat trades.
>>
>>46424944
Ehh, I feel that a hex map allows for an easier, time as just have a legend of the color for what biome and just make a symbol to add on a few hexes of land as your starting position.
>>46424497
>>46424524
Also, Upper Snowvakia's rules with >>46424849
would require a new sheet.
We could also have starting position biomes be changed via magical terraforming or something.
>>
>>46425074
Wow that's actually more complex than mine.

I'm impressed.
>>
>>46425100
The system you made was pretty good, but time based turns i really think are bad, they will just get comfusing and a bunch of nations will get behind.
Would be better if someone would DM turns.
>>
File: civsheet.png (168 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
civsheet.png
168 KB, 1000x900
>>46420390
OP pls
>>
>>46424944
>>46425081
>>46425100
I think lack of proper OP rules, sheet, hexmap made it a bit rough. We`re still brainstorming and such.
>>
File: INVERTED HEX.jpg (944 KB, 1608x1149) Image search: [Google]
INVERTED HEX.jpg
944 KB, 1608x1149
Alright here is the Inverted hex map i tried making.
Maybe it could work.
>>
>>46425427
Hex tiles with a majority of it blue should be fully colored blue, I like it though, we could have starting tiles be a biome of the Nation`s choice, and tiles they explores are rolled under a dice+1d(Number of Current Biomes).
>>
>>46424849
>>46425100
>>46425427
Oh and for traits, we could have
1 BIOLOGICAL
1 CULTURAL
1 ENVIRONMENTAL
These could give a +1 bonus to what it`s for, a nation with a primarily war culture would get a +1 in Military, and a Volcanic could get +1 in agriculture or +1 in minerals.
We might need to change the Civ Sheet.
>>
File: TheContractIsSealed.jpg (98 KB, 412x371) Image search: [Google]
TheContractIsSealed.jpg
98 KB, 412x371
YOU NIGGERS CALLED THE NAMEFAGS IN?
>>
>>46425784
Oh hi Dara.
i know you
>>
>>46425784
I did, yeah.

Thread's a mess of conflicting and confused ideas.
>>
File: 1459636081355.png (37 KB, 1000x900) Image search: [Google]
1459636081355.png
37 KB, 1000x900
>>
1459636081355.png
37 KB, 1000x900
>>
>>46425784
Hello Dara,
remember that kefka pastebin story
>>46425812
I think that we could follow a general baseline like
>>46424497
>>46424524
>>46424709
>>46424794
>>46425615
With this kind of map: >>46425427
We could make the majority of sea covered hexes completely blue, and have land be terraformed into a nation`s choice in their starting position, when they explore beyond their starting location, they could roll a die of dice+1d(NumberofBiomes), and it makes 7 tiles or so.
>>
1459636081355.png
37 KB, 1000x900
>>
>>46420368
This is awesome as fuck, OP.

I'd love to read the whole thread and the two before that, but I'm really high and lazy. Can someone please briefly explain the ideas established on this inverted earth idea?
>>
>>46426708
It's kind of dead.
>>
>>46427708
RIP
>>
>>46431829
No point in bumping. The asspain of the Ana'tres and the burgers of the Wintervulvas more or less ruined the game and killed the thread.
>>
>>46433434
Eh, I'd say it's mainly just the issue that we lost MapAnon who was a good mediator for keeping everything organized and ordered. No need to flame.

>>46426708
The inverted earth idea is more or less just the backdrop, with races and civilizations having crawled forth in order to politic and expand over the inverted world.

As far as major events and powers... We had a great Dwarven powerhouse to the South which created a grand trading alliance among the African Ocean. The Marithians started out small and expanded quickly as they rebuilt their fallen empire. The Great Northern Ocean was dominated by the advanced ships of the Great Islanders, given enforcement by the savage Bao-Ren that lived on the stormy, volcanic islands that filled the northern expanses of the oceans. Oppana used the Bao-Ren on their eastern fringes as something of a means of training their army, as the warlike savages relished in war-making, and a tour of duty in the east was a sign of a seasoned warrior back home. Eventually, the Bao-Ren and Oppana crushed the northern expansion of Ana'tres, beating the war-mongering Scorpionfolk out of the north to expand Oppana's reach in the west. The Hinttervold Conclave called for mages from across the world, but quickly found all those who had made the journey was dullards and little was truly learned. The Southern Alliance also apparently raided the Wendigo of the south, capturing some of the savages for experiment and study. Paglia built damn good roads.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.