[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so easy to hate steampunk anything?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58
File: nono.png (382 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
nono.png
382 KB, 800x600
Why is it so easy to hate steampunk anything?
>>
Because conceptually its an excellent idea, in practice is full of autistic retards.
>>
>>46418779
Simple. Just persuade yourself that everyone who like steampunk is a subhuman.
>>
Because it's easy to make it hateable
>>
There's no defining work(s) that everyone can chop up like with fantasy, scifi, and cyberpunk to an extent.

It's almost entirely reliant on visual style in a mostly non-visual medium.
>>
>>46418970
How is it excellent?
>>
>why is it so easy to hate anything?
>>
>>46418779
because of the players
>>
>>46418779
Because the idea itself is not all there. Claim steampunk tech would be a thing that can rival our tech even 30 years ago is laughable and ridiculous.

It's the uneducated and the easily manipulated masses who wish to cling to it as if it's a real tangible thing. No different than seeing a cyberpunk raver thinking they're in the future, it's all in all fucking dumb,

plus people actually dress this way on purpose and usually no actual reason in doing so. So you have everyday cosplayers + a dumb system+ a dumber made up technology

It's right up there with furries, cosplayers, and cyberpunks
>>
Because as people were exploring it, they didn't found any dept to it. Unlike Medieval or Futuristic Scenarios, there is no room for it. It's a very frail identity, you can make a futuristic scenario without tech or a medieval without Armor but will have a hard time making a Steampunk scenario without Copper colored things.
It wouldn't be that bad if people's expectations were so high.
>>
File: Wild Wild West Saloon.jpg (37 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Wild Wild West Saloon.jpg
37 KB, 853x480
>>46419011
Well, there are a handful of steampunk movies but most of them aren't that good and nearly all of them were released before the early 2010's steampunk boom.

>Wild Wild West (1999)
>The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
>Van Helsing (2004)
>The Brothers Grimm (2005), albeit to a lesser extent than the previous three

Although, I admit I do like Wild Wild West unironically, probably because I saw it in the theaters as a kid and I'm a shameless nostalgiafag.

Pic related
>>
>>46421123
This, very much this.

I'm so sick of steampunk
>>
>>46418779
because its made by the equilavent of "i only know D&D" guys

this is wahy you only see people talking about steampunk and sometimes clockpunk and nothing else *punk
>>
>>46418779
Because the 4chan arbitrarily decided steampunk was bad, and then made arguments in an echo chamber to that extent based entirely on some guys who liked to dress up.

It's the same old "Everything is shit because someone, somewhere, did something bad with it" that 4chan was always on about.
>>
>>46421290
oh, and don't forget anything that is good steampunk 4chan will go out of its way to declare a new subgenre instead of calling it steampunk.
>>
>>46421290
>Everything is shit because someone, somewhere, did something bad with it
But I personally can't really think of anything good coming out of steampunk.
I don't hate it, I'm mostly indifferent about it. But nothing comes to mind that makes me say "oh yeah, that is great" when thinking about Stempunk
>>
>>46418970
/thread
>>
Punk is an inherently anti-authoritarian genre (although it occasionally, especially in British history, did incorporate elements of fascism).

Cyberpunk follows that idea - you're using 'the tools of The Man against The Man'. The world is oppressed by the elite, using technology to surveil and suppress you, so you're using technology to sabotage them and free the information they've taken.

So theoretically, 19th-century inspired 'steampunk' should be full of that - after all, it was a pretty repressed time!
Except 90% of the time, it doesn't.
People should be playing/protagonising the underclass - instead, they're rich lords and ladies, safari hunters, renowned scholars.
They should be fighting against the constraints of society - instead, they're a part of the fabric of it.

Instead of shit like, I don't know, slaves secretly amassing steam-powered superweapons to blow up a plantation, or young wives secretly trading in the information they're granted by their access to their elite husbands in order to slowly try to build a subsystem of control of their own, it's just empty "HA HA I'M MOLLY STEAMWRENCH, AS GOOD A MECHANIC AS ANY MAN"
>>
>>46421330
What a lot of people fail to realize that what is called "steampunk" encompasses several conflicting genres that have a Victorian aesthetic.

Steampunk isn't gaslamp fantasy, nor is it limited to Neo-Victoriana.
>>
>>46421391
There's good things every so often, but they usually get declared some other genre because they're good.

And naming anything as good on 4chan will garuntee they say "no, that isn't good, because if it was good that would diminish my argument".

But I'll go out on a limb and point out steampunk elements can be found in a lot of things people seem to like, from arcanum to that treasure planet movie to appearing in golden age RPGs all over the place.
>>
>>46421458
but gaslamp fantasy and neo-victoriana are both steampunk.

It's an "all rectangles aren't squares, but all squares are rectangles" thing.

the prior of which was named gaslamp fantasy entirely because they knew if they called it steampunk internet people would throw a shitfit regardless of content
>>
>>46421424
>steampunk should ignore the genre it is because it is using a naming convention I dislike
I am so tired of people thinking the -punk affix has anything to do with it being punk.
>>
>>46421508
>but gaslamp fantasy and neo-victoriana are both steampunk.

No. They are not.

Steampunk doesn't include functional magic, although it may include occultist quacks.
>>
>>46421547
>no they are not
see, this is why 4chan things steampunk is bad, because like
>>46421330
says, any good steampunk is declared a different genre.

It's the truest form of no true scotsman.
>>
>>46421474
Also, people like to pretend like steamfunk doesn't exist. But that's just white privilege for you.
>>
>>46421391
Bioshock. The first two were somewhat steampunk. Infinite was extremely steampunk.
>>46421424
It's only called steampunk as a nod to cyberpunk, since both are sort of built around a certain technology- steam power and computers. This is literally, purely, a shallow semantic argument.
>>
>>46421565
No, there is a limited amount of good steampunk. It mostly consists of... 3 or so novels.

Also, Jules Vernian scientific romantic revival isn't steampunk either.
>>
>>46418779
Because it's goth for fat and ugly people.
>>
>>46421570
>Bioshock
>steampunk

You had better be joking.
>>
>>46421595
>There is no good steampunk because anything that might be good steampunk I will claim is another minor subgenre that sees no use anywhere else

You're sort of echoing my point anon.

You're like someone claiming something isn't fantasy because it has giant bugs from starship troopers in it.
>>
>>46421612
>bioshock
>not steampunk
>>46421391
This man is wise beyond his years.
>>
>>46421533
>hey let's just call that new music we made steamMetal even though it has nothing to do with metal music
>what could possibly go wrong?
The -punk suffix has a meaning, and calling a genre x-punk while there is no actually -punk in there is asking for misunderstanings and stuff.

>>46421570
>Bioshock. The first two were somewhat steampunk. Infinite was extremely steampunk.
Ah, yeah. Now that you mention it kinda fits. Didn't think of it because I have never paid much attention to the IP. I have only played parts of the first one
>>
>>46421644
whoop, meant to link to
>>46421330
I missed
>>
>>46421653
yes, the punk suffix has a meaning, but you've got to be kind of silly to think that it purely means punk these days.
Long after the punk movement is dead and buried, and it's been used to describe aesthetics or genres for years
>>
>>46418779
Because most people miss out on the fun aspects the setting offers and just go for silly guns, goofy british accents, and cogs on everything. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, but when that's all that differentiates your setting from a typical western/fantasy/modern/future game then it really doesn't offer much.
>>
>>46421624
Scientific Romance is the precursor to what is known as science-fiction.

It's like you don't know genre theory at all.
>>
>>46421644
Is it 'steampunk' to get BTFO? If so, you're the most steampunk poster on this board ;^)
>>
>>46421727
Says the guy arguing gaslamp fantasy, a thing that the originator of the term explicitly declared he was using because people would freak out if he called it steampunk, isn't steampunk.
>>
>>46421741
top troll anon, you shure showed him :^)
>>
>>46421747
They used the term to clarify. It may seem similar to steampunk but it isn't. That's a sensible and ethical tactic.
>>
>>46421330
>>46421290
man, I've not seen any thread settled so hard as this in a long while.
>>
>>46421644
The Interwar Art Deco stuff in the first two Bioshocks is a couple generations removed from the usual Victorian Steampunk aesthetic. Infinite? Sure.
>>
>>46421786
>It's got all these steampunk elements, but it's not steampunk honest!

Next you'll be telling me that shadowrun isn't fantasy on top of being cyberpunk.
>>
>>46421330
>4chan will go out of its way to declare a new subgenre instead of calling it steampunk

>you know I thought Dishonored was an example of good steampu-
>WHALEPUNK WHALEPUNK WHALEPUNK WHALEPUNK WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS ISN'T HOW GENRES WORK
>>
File: gears_and_steam_valves.png (254 KB, 730x500) Image search: [Google]
gears_and_steam_valves.png
254 KB, 730x500
>>46421822
>>
>>46418779
Because Steampunk is the Drake of fantasy.
>>
1) The term didn't really have a defining classic that it could be traced back to and compared against (ala Neuromancer), it just kind of appeared out of nowhere like a fungus.
2) It was largely popular among the sort of people who would also think wearing a fedora, trenchcoat and katana ensemble is a good idea.
3) Owing to 2 and the lack of a clear point of comparison from 1), anyone with sense who makes anything that could be called steampunk will either just not call it that, or declare that it's something else.

With 3 the vicious cycle begins. Any good "steampunk" will be declared not steampunk, and steampunk as we know it will remain a vat of unadulterated shit.
>>
>>46421872
It's absolutely shameless how 4chan will create new genres specifically for one game instead of calling it the genre they don't like.
>>
>>46421825
Having magic makes it not steampunk.
>>
>>46421910
You can have fantasy AND steampunk at the same time anon.

Just like how shadowrun is still cyberpunk, even though it has magic.
>>
I don't really get the whole "if you're talking about the upper classes it's not -punk"...isn't it like saying that if you're playing a corporate in cyberpunk 2020 you're not playing a cyberpunk game? You have a different point of view but that doesn't change the setting as a whole.
>>
>>46421891
>1) The term didn't really have a defining classic that it could be traced back to and compared against (ala Neuromancer), it just kind of appeared out of nowhere like a fungus.

False.

The Difference Engine is widely recognized as THE classic steampunk novel.
>>
Gentle reminder that any and all settings that run on nuclear power are steampunk by necessity.
>>
>>46421691
Punk isn't dead you stupid punk.
>>
>>46421925
>You can have fantasy AND steampunk at the same time anon.

No. That's gaslamp fantasy or Victoriana fantasy.
>>
>>46421822
>The Interwar Art Deco stuff in the first two Bioshocks is a couple generations removed from the usual Victorian Steampunk aesthetic.
I'm the anon who first brought up Bioshock and I totally agree. The influence is definitely there with some of the tech, though, which is why I said "somewhat." It's not steampunk, but there's steampunk in it.

>>46421884
I'd go with ska-punk if we're using a music analogy. Want to see some really entertaining mental gymnastics? Sit an uptight music nerd down and force them to explain how Streetlight Manifesto isn't ska.
>>
>>46421990
so, what
>>46421891
and
>>46421330
said.

Gotcha.
>>
>>46421934
Yes, it's almost like that entire line of reasoning is just meaningless semantics people take refuge in because their other arguments make even less sense...
>>
>>46421990
>Cyberpunk can have magic, because I like cyberpunk
>steampunk can't have magic, because I don't like steampunk
>>
>>46419413

The only reason you are asking that is because people go for the "Strap a gear onto a hat" shtick rather than the DaVinci approach.
>>
>>46422010
Nope.

If it has magic, it isn't steampunk. If it doesn't have punk, it isn't steampunk.

Also, steampunk can cover areas other than the United Kingdom or the American West but people tend to assume it MUST be in Victorian England (or even during the Victorian Era).

There is huge potential to be had with ancient Greek steampunk.
>>
>>46422050
Cyberpunk can't have magic either. Science fantasy belongs to Star Wars.
>>
>>46422076
>If it has this thing that is in a lot of steampunk, it's not steampunk
>if it doesn't have this thing that is in hardly any steampunk, it's not steampunk
Anon, your definitions of steampunk are retarded and don't work like any other genre.

When sane people see two genres mixing, they call it a mix of the two genres.

When you see two genres mixing, you declare a new subgenre for that specific work.
>>
File: Rise of Legends.jpg (39 KB, 250x358) Image search: [Google]
Rise of Legends.jpg
39 KB, 250x358
>>46422076
>If it has magic, it isn't steampunk. If it doesn't have punk, it isn't steampunk.

Go to hell.
>>
>>46422099
>Cyberpunk can't have magic
topkek
>>
>>46422076
What is "x genre with y genre elements"?
>>
>>46422123
Go to school.
>>
File: arcanum.jpg (40 KB, 248x300) Image search: [Google]
arcanum.jpg
40 KB, 248x300
>>46422076
I think you might be misinformed
>>46422151
I think you might be uneducated.
>>
>>46422076
Eh, the materials available at the time makes any useful pressure nigh impossible.

I just don't think you'd get the "big" aesthetic that is a big part of steampunk either, but that's just my opinion
>>
>>46422123
>posts picture of a non-steampunk setting while telling others to go to hell

lel
>>
>>46422099
>Shadowrun
>>
>>46422139
Shit, usually.

Also, fantasy.
>>
>>46422151

How clever.
>>
>>46422151
But anon, in school they describe things of two mixed genres as "x genre Y genre".
They don't just make new genres for everything.
>>
>>46422157
That's Victoriana fantasy. Again, see >>46422151.
>>
>>46418779
Because cringey faggots ruined a good idea by strapping gears to everything.
>>
>>46422151
>>46422165
>>46422195
So, I think we can agree that the guy arguing steampunk can't have magic is a troll at this point, as he's brought nothing new to the conversation when given numerous examples that disprove his thesis.
>>
>>46422167
>>46422135
Shadowrun is urban fantasy.
>>
>>46422216
Go tell the shadowrun general they aren't cyberpunk.
It'll be a good laugh.
>>
File: Leviathan.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1311) Image search: [Google]
Leviathan.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1311
>>46422165

>An entire faction based around DaVinci themed constructs involving boiler-driven technology integrated with clockwork
>Not steampunk.

If one of the main design choices wasn't clockworks.

Coincidentally, dieselpunk is another theme that nobody ever does right anymore.
>>
>>46422215
Nothing was disproved. You merely posted fantasy media with Victorian aesthetics.
>>
>>46422254
Please learn how genres work.
>>
>>46418779
Execution and the fandom culture. The idea involves steam powered nonsense machines in a Victorian setting, with airships and mechanical limbs and class disparity and child labor and out of touch rich people and trains and shit. In practice it's usually the fancy people with gears on their hats wearing elaborate clothing and nothing is really exciting.

>>46419458
Nihilism.
>>
>>46422245
>ever does right anymore
Since when? It's a pretty small genre, what's not being done, or is now being done that's a bit shit?
>>
File: 1393984571771.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1186) Image search: [Google]
1393984571771.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1186
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvXF3oGy-iE

what genre is this?
>>
>>46422268
I know how genres work. You seemingly do not.
>>
>>46422290
steampunk and fantasy.
>>
>>46422290
1. Does it have magic?
2. Does it have punk?
>>
>>46422295
Please go to school, anon.
It will help you with things like this.
>>
>>46422215
Yeah, I think we can agree on that.
I mean, the guy argued shadowrun wasn't cyberpunk. He has to either be a troll or an idiot.
>>
>>46422336
As I've said, steampunk isn't fantasy. It may contain historical occult figures like Aleister Crowley, but in no way must the magic be functional. That way leads to Victoriana fantasy.
>>
>>46422366
Sorry anon, you are incorrect. Please go to school. It will help you figure out how these things work.
>>
Really the easiest thing at this point is to ask people to define what Steampunk, Gaslight and Victorian fantasy all are, and how they are different in a clear way.

Also probably punk while we're at it.

Otherwise its just a semantic argument about a e s t h e t i c preferences with no common terms.
>>
File: Steam Punk Hunter.jpg (273 KB, 900x1237) Image search: [Google]
Steam Punk Hunter.jpg
273 KB, 900x1237
>>46418779
You might be thinking of cogfop instead of proper steampunk.

>Pic
Steampunk or Cogfop? You decide.
>>
What about dieselpunk? Rocketeer, Crimson Skies, and ummm...
>>
>>46422484
Part of me wants to say imperium of man from 40k. I'm probably way off
>>
>>46422484
pretty much the same thing and interchangable with steampunk in my mind.
It creates a nice greasy melange of high adventure, sky piracy, and antideluvian secrets that tear out people's souls.
>>
>>46422484
Dishonored too.

Diesel punk is fucking awesome, one of my favorite flavors of settings.

Could Mad Max be construed as Diesel punk or it is a whole other animal?
>>
>>46422195
but anon, wikipedia says it's under the category of steampunk works
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura
>>
>>46422399
Steampunk: alternative universe hard science fiction, usually but by no means always set in the Victorian Era, that has do-it-yourself anti-authoritarian themes.

Victorian(a) fantasy: fantasy set in the Victorian Era; the urban fantasy of the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslamp_fantasy
>>
>>46422399
anything that takes place in a historical environment (or a fantasy environment that closely parallels a historical environment) where anachronistically advanced technology is widespread, based on the actual technology of the period but greatly extended in capability, is retro-futurism and no further granularity is required because it's not a huge genre to begin with
>>
>>46422559
But anon, steampunk isn't hard science fiction.
It regularly includes unobtanium and witchcraft.
>>
>>46421990
Same thing faggot:D
>>
http://beyondvictoriana.com/about/
>>
File: 1459453227612.png (13 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
1459453227612.png
13 KB, 555x407
>>46421990
Fag
>>
>>46422399
>define what Steampunk, Gaslight and Victorian fantasy all are

>Steampunk
1. Genre involving roughly the mid-to-late-19th century society (or fictional equivalent of), but with advanced technology based around contemporary technology
2. Descriptor of technology that is (or a setting that includes technology that is) steam/clockwork-based but is exceedingly advanced.
>Victorian fantasy
fantasy set during the Victorian period
>Gaslamp
See: Victorian fantasy
>>
>>46422399
here is my definition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

>>46422559
>Steampunk may also incorporate additional elements from the genres of fantasy, horror, historical fiction, alternate history, or other branches of speculative fiction, making it often a hybrid genre
wikipedia disagrees with you.
>>
>>46422580
Incorrect. That's Victorian fantasy.
>>
>>46422615
Incorrect.
That's steampunk.
>Steampunk may also incorporate additional elements from the genres of fantasy, horror, historical fiction, alternate history, or other branches of speculative fiction, making it often a hybrid genre.
>>
>>46422613
Wikipedia contradicts itself. See the article on gaslamp fantasy for more information.
>>
>>46422547
No

Mad Max (well, Road Warrior) is literally what defined the Post-Apocalyptic aesthetic. It has nothing to do with with Great War/Interwar stuff that Dieselpunk draws from.
>>
>>46422076
Wrong. Try again after you read a few books
>>
>>46422641
See
>>46422650 >>46422615
>>
>>46422650
and you've learned the secret bit of information.
Gaslamp fantasy is literally the same thing as steampunk with a different name so people on the internet don't freak out.
>>
>>46422667
See >>46422671
>>46422674
See >>46421786
>>
>>46422671
see
>Steampunk may also incorporate additional elements from the genres of fantasy, horror, historical fiction, alternate history, or other branches of speculative fiction, making it often a hybrid genre

Seems like steampunk can include fantasy.
>>
>>46422664
>Great War/Interwar stuff that Dieselpunk draws from.
Is that a necessary part of Dieselpunk?
>>
>>46422693
See >>46422689 and >>46422671
>>
>>46422689
see
>>46421330
and
Steampunk may also incorporate additional elements from the genres of fantasy, horror, historical fiction, alternate history, or other branches of speculative fiction, making it often a hybrid genre.
>>
File: Bloodborne The Old Hunters 1.jpg (112 KB, 940x545) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne The Old Hunters 1.jpg
112 KB, 940x545
Is Bloodborne steampunk?
>>
>>46422714
See >>46422711
>>
>>46422733
see
>>46422714
>Steampunk may also incorporate additional elements from the genres of fantasy, horror, historical fiction, alternate history, or other branches of speculative fiction, making it often a hybrid genre.
>>
>>46422711
>>46422689
>>46422733

See how much easier it is to agree now that we have shared definitions?
>>
File: Germania Berlin (wolfenstein).jpg (120 KB, 1000x465) Image search: [Google]
Germania Berlin (wolfenstein).jpg
120 KB, 1000x465
>>46422484
Wolfenstien's fairly big one, especially New Order, but there's also magic
>>
>>46422742
See >>46422733 >>46422711 >>46422689 >>46422671 >>46422650
>>
>>46422733
>>46422742
Here is a tiebreaker for you two lovebirds
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=steampunk
Apparently steampunk can include fantastical things, and even includes shit like FF7.
>>
>>46422547
Scavenged punk, I think.
>>
>>46422764
see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAWH7Dalw2A
>>
>>46422760
Your definitions are wrong though.

>>46422767
Final Fantasy is FANTASY, not steampunk.
>>
>>46422764
Sorry anon, tiebreaker has been declared.
>>
File: Bloodborne-Gatling-Gun.jpg (95 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne-Gatling-Gun.jpg
95 KB, 640x360
>>46422719
there's a complete lack of steam technology in bloodborne, oddly enough. i feel like they missed an opportunity to have a train in there.

their firearms technology is pretty advanced, judging by the gatling gun, but given all the monsters around you can't blame them.
>>
>>46422795
See >>46422794
>>
>>46422794
Sorry anon, the tiebreaker sided with the wikipedia definition of steampunk.
I have to declare, as an impartial judge, that steampunk can include fantastical elements.
>>
>>46422794

Didn't use any definitions, don't care about steampunk. Just suggested a bunch of autists define their terms. Shit's hilarious to watch.
>>
>>46422695
Not necessarily, though before WWI everything just seems a bit too old, and post WWII there's the beginning of the Atomic Age, so that 20-30 year period (stretched out, if needs be) is when the majority of dieselpunk is inspired by
>>
>>46422823
See >>46422815

>>46422835
So you are deliberately shitposting.
>>
>>46422853
Sorry anon, the tiebreaker has been declared, steampunk includes fantasy.
If you want another tiebreaker, this will be your last chance.
Would you like me to check the THIRD google result for steampunk definition?
>>
File: 34_Hudson-Indycar-KM_10-PVGP_08.jpg (203 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
34_Hudson-Indycar-KM_10-PVGP_08.jpg
203 KB, 1024x680
>>46422695
It's where it draws its aesthetics and the basis for its fantastical technology from.

If the cars in Mad Max looked like this, instead of midcentury muscle cars and stuff, then we'd be talking.
>>
>>46422853

Seems more effective than the unintentional shitposting you've been upto.
>>
>>46422853
If you're the "SEE >>___>>___>>____" guy, you're the shitposter.

Or one of them.

"subjective thing is WRONG" has to be one of the stupidest arguments on the internet anyway
>>
>>46422871
Those definitions are incorrect though. Nice try, trolling.
>>
>>46422900
Nope. I am reiterating my points without retyping them. Since I was right the first time, I need only to redirect you back to the relevant posts.
>>
>>46422908
I'm sorry anon, the third definition, from http://www.ministryofpeculiaroccurrences.com/what-is-steampunk/
, has declared steampunk includes fantasy elements.

I hereby declare as an officially ordained E-arbiter that steampunk forevermore will include fantasy elements, and that those who disagree are of the minority opinion and thus unimportant.

Any disagreement with the top 3 google results will be declared summarily trolling.
>>
File: bill bill bill bill.gif (500 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
bill bill bill bill.gif
500 KB, 500x374
I propose a compromise.

>A work is considered either steampunk or gaslamp/Victoriana Fantasy depending on how much of either element is present
>Predominantly steampunk elements means Steampunk with Fantasy Elements
>Predominantly fantastical elements means Victorian Fantasy with Steampunk Elements
>Roughly equal split means it's whichever it describes itself as
>>
>>46422940
Steampunk has no fantasy elements.
>>
>>46422969
nice troll, anon.
>>
>>46422940

nah, too reasonable. Psure we should just go with the guy who's anally devastated and wrong according to multiple sources.
>>
>>46422940
I am actually having trouble finding any defining site that does not claim steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/steampunk

Can anyone find a single definition site that claims steampunk is hard science fiction?
>>
>>46422940
You know, I think that'd work if the anon wasn't a troll

I'm going to post steam/dieselpunk pics now, any preferences vis-a-vis steam/diesel, real/fictional?
>>
>>46423000
>Can anyone find a single definition site that claims steampunk is hard science fiction?

If you had read any steampunk, you would already know this to be true.
>>
>>46423048
Fictional. Fantastical too, if you can help it.
Though I am interested in any real things that I wouldn't fucking believe. You'll know them when you see them.
>>
File: 20th Century Limited 1935.jpg (114 KB, 699x535) Image search: [Google]
20th Century Limited 1935.jpg
114 KB, 699x535
>>
>>46423062
I'm sorry anon, apparently everyone who is an authority on the topic who has read steampunk disagrees with you.
I suggest you go to them with your complaints. Surely they will be amiable to your reasonable and forthright arguments.
>>
File: this is stupid.jpg (149 KB, 1097x498) Image search: [Google]
this is stupid.jpg
149 KB, 1097x498
>>46422850
Dieselpunk can still go real stupid real quick.
>>
File: mecha squid attack.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
mecha squid attack.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>46423065
Things you wouldn't believe?
Like the Hindenburg's smoking room?
>>
>>46423137
I more meant like that giant evil saw machine that is six stories tall that you see in pictures sometimes.

But that works too.
>>
>>46423102
Ah, Keith Thompson.
Excellent skill and style, not a clue how machines works
>>
File: bucket wheel excavator.jpg (2 MB, 2126x1444) Image search: [Google]
bucket wheel excavator.jpg
2 MB, 2126x1444
>>46423167
This one?
>>
>>46423205
yes.
Though it looks less pointy than I remember.
>>
>>46419413
What isn't great about dismantling colonialist genocide and the people who make it possible?
>>
File: Giant Robot Attack.jpg (135 KB, 563x800) Image search: [Google]
Giant Robot Attack.jpg
135 KB, 563x800
>>46423217
Probably the angle.

Generally I prefer the IRL stuff, but there's some pretty good fantastical shit too
>>
>>46423253
man I fucking love titans and giants.

I was playing a game the other day and saw just a giant skeleton clinging to a mountain, and sat there for a solid few minutes just lookin' at it.
>>
File: airship cockpit steampunk.jpg (27 KB, 600x281) Image search: [Google]
airship cockpit steampunk.jpg
27 KB, 600x281
>>46423253
I also think it can be interesting to compare fantastical versions with their real counterparts
>>
File: airship cockpit R80.jpg (365 KB, 818x608) Image search: [Google]
airship cockpit R80.jpg
365 KB, 818x608
>>46423279
Man, things used to be so rickety
>>
>>46423293
It is weird how things from the past are simultaneously way sturdier and WAY less sturdy than modern stuff.

Early era standardization is some serious shit bro.
>>
File: Why.jpg (245 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Why.jpg
245 KB, 1000x1000
I'm proud of you /tg/, nice troll wrangling.
Now, can someone tell me a valid reason for a coghat?
>>
File: Gustav3.jpg (111 KB, 640x660) Image search: [Google]
Gustav3.jpg
111 KB, 640x660
>>46423276
Not sure I have anything more like that, but I do have stupidly huge guns
>>
>>46422288
Fallout 4
>>
>>46423338
Okay.
Okay I'll come up with some reasons. Just gonna think a bit.

Okay, one. There's a bunch of cogs on the hat because it is actually one of those difference engine thingies arranged in a circular fation.

Two. The gear has some special significance. It might be magic, it might be a unique material, it might be the only fit for a special machine, like a key.

Three: The gear is actually a stylized tool of some sort, like a compass or a depth meter.

Four, uh... four: It is a symbol of some organization

Five. Increased headbutt potential

Six. The hat is actually a drone with deployable spider legs.
>>
File: Sturmtiger_frontal.jpg (335 KB, 1236x1050) Image search: [Google]
Sturmtiger_frontal.jpg
335 KB, 1236x1050
>>46423380
Gustav was a punkass bitch.
>>
>>46423338
Is being a massive twerp a valid reason?
>>
>>46423217
There are more than one of them you know...

Some are relatively small even (though still pretty big in absolute terms)
>>
>>46423425
Seven: Automatic tipping mechanism
>>
>>46423337
Ah, the good old days, when material science was inexact and over-engineering was the name of the game.

>>46423338
Yeah, that's pretty inexcusable, the only thing I could say would be that you're using your hat as a place to store devices, for some reason.

Maybe the monocle could be an early night vision sight, and the gear assembly is the IR lamp?
>>
>>46423509
I didn't laugh, but then I thought of "OH NO MY AUTOMATIC TIPPING SYSTEM IS MALFUNCTIONING" while horrible mechanical whirrs and fire fill the room, and I could not stop laughing
>>
>>46423205
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPycLDKlGVw
>>
>>46421196
You're not alone my nigger. I too unironically like Wild Wild West.
>>
File: Karl Gerat 2.jpg (25 KB, 600x343) Image search: [Google]
Karl Gerat 2.jpg
25 KB, 600x343
>>46423437
I can't argue too much about that, most of the wear on the barrel was testing, not fighting, and it never did the job that was intended (though that's kind of due to the war, not the production)
>>
File: Nice hat.jpg (54 KB, 425x562) Image search: [Google]
Nice hat.jpg
54 KB, 425x562
>>46423425
>Six. The hat is actually a drone with deployable spider legs.
Nice.

>>46423528
>Yeah, that's pretty inexcusable, the only thing I could say would be that you're using your hat as a place to store devices, for some reason.

Yeah, that's the best I tought of. Pic related.

>Maybe the monocle could be an early night vision sight, and the gear assembly is the IR lamp?
Cool.
>>
>>46422719
ahh no see that's gothicpunk
>>
>>46423529
Plug I get a visual of a pudgy neckbeard waddling around in a panic as his tophat sparks and smokes

>>46423548
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXORrVmxwbM
>>
Anyone here reading twig by wildbow?

It is biopunk set in 1921 but If I had to choose I would say it is closer to steampunk then any other maistream genre.
>>
>>46423601
Watching these construction and mining videos always feels vaguely pornographic to me.
That an factories working.
Like, this is what I will walk in on robots watching in secret.
>>
File: Motor Machine Guns.jpg (470 KB, 1247x870) Image search: [Google]
Motor Machine Guns.jpg
470 KB, 1247x870
>>46423529
>>46423601
Okay, that's a bit amusing.

And that coal thing is actually pretty interesting, to me at least
>>
>>46421474
Arcanum is steampunk through and through.
I've never seen someone deny that.
>>
>>
File: XP-75.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1584) Image search: [Google]
XP-75.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1584
>>46423567
Most of the Maginot breaking weapons designed by the Germans never found their niche, that the 800mm guns continued development past the fall of France is just one more incident of institutionalized stupidity in the German war machine.

Picture very tangentially related
>>
>>46422508
Only in the design aesthetics of the imp guard.
>>
>>46423798
I sort of wish we got to see the fight that would have happened if germany shot those giant guns at the french defensive lines.

Like if the french extended the line all the way around.
>>
File: BattleshipYamato.jpg (88 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
BattleshipYamato.jpg
88 KB, 800x480
>>46423798
I mean they were used - they blew up some soviet fortresses and ammo storage, despite it being under bedrock, but they were likely in no way worth their construction, just like a lot of super-large war machines
>>
File: Char2C long.jpg (109 KB, 800x432) Image search: [Google]
Char2C long.jpg
109 KB, 800x432
>>46423928
Nor was it just the axis who had large, ineffectual machines.

Only one of these men isn't a crewman
>>
>>46423962
are...
are we sure that isn't an APC?
I mean it has so many people in it. They could get out.
>>
File: don't make me come over there.jpg (30 KB, 477x329) Image search: [Google]
don't make me come over there.jpg
30 KB, 477x329
>>46418779
Because it's a pretentious pseudoliterary genre imitating a more established genre by subsuming the "punk" title and thereby rendering it meaningless.

Steampunk possesses no literary artifacts beyond what is aesthetically acceptable to its adherents. Aesthetics do not a literary genre make. A genre must also be defined by consistent themes, ideas, and established norms to be considered such. This alone is why "genre fiction" is looked down upon by a lot of writers, because in many ways most of the work is done for you once you begin the process of writing.

Steampunk, contrarily, was never founded on an ideological or thematically consistent base, and is instead an artistic movement with literary trappings. It would be as though someone attempted to write stories by describing Warholian tropes. In the end it would all boil down to overly-elaborate descriptions of aesthetic details, which is what comprises a vast majority of the so-called steampunk canon.

tl;dr

Pic related
>>
>>46421424
I would play the shit out of a conspiracy game featuring the ladies that used pig intestines not to get pregnant helped by freed slaves who managed to develop weapons trying to overpower a corrupt government with steam powered shit.
That would be awesome.
>>
>>46424041
thankfully, hardly anyone ever is using steampunk in a literary function any more, given the wide variety of non-textual mediums available where an aesthetic is a valid reason for placing something.
>>
>>46424041
>pretentious pseudoliterary genre
Meh. Your opinion is valid as such.
But thank for not reigniting the "definition of steampunk" debacle.

>>46424075
Also this, it's at it's best when drawn in a way the artist hides its mechanical incompetence.
>>
File: AMC 35.jpg (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
AMC 35.jpg
91 KB, 800x600
>>46423984
>>46423962
The Char 2C was designed in 1917 and entered production in 1921. Its crew size was fairly typical of the time, the contemporary Tank Mark VIII had a crew of 12.

Interwar / WWII French tanks actually had small crews. The Char D1, D2, AMC 35 and S35 all had a crew of 3 men while the Char B1 had a crew of 4.
>>
>>46424130
There is no definition of steampunk. It isn't a debacle if you aren't retarded.
>>
File: armoured train interior.jpg (364 KB, 1247x788) Image search: [Google]
armoured train interior.jpg
364 KB, 1247x788
>>46423984
No, it's a tank. The largest tank ever built, by dimensions (though not by weight), and made by a shipbuilding company, though it was out of date by the beginning of the war, though both sides used it for propaganda purposes, because it was so damn huge.

There was a replacement planned, but france fell
>>
>>46422245
>dieselpunk
Isn't that just called "pulp"?
>>
>>46422881
I could've sworn there were a few cars that did look like that. But not nearly enough to count.

Although, Mad Max style world with Dieselpunk aesthetic would be truly excellent I think.
>>
File: 1447858565766s.jpg (3 KB, 118x125) Image search: [Google]
1447858565766s.jpg
3 KB, 118x125
>>46421990
>>
>>46421611
goth is goth for fat and ugly people
>>
>>46423592
It would be a bitch to pull the night vision sight down because of the brim. Easier to just keep it in a pocket, or as a monocle.
>>
>>46421424
I read a book that proposed that the "punk" in steampunk refers to the artisans, adventures and explorers that tend to act as the main characters in steampunk. The upperclass of these settings tend to be the only people in the setting with the resources to build their own machines and explore whenever and wherever they want.
It's punk in a "DIY freedom" kind of way not a "fuck the man" kind of way.

I think the issue with steampunk is that there's no story structure or template that everyone recognizes.
Epic fantasy has the heroic myths of the past like the Odyssey and works of literature like Lord of the Rings, while smaller-scale fantasy has the pulp adventures like Conan the Cimmerian or smaller folk tales like Achilles or the many Arthurian legends.
And cyberpunk takes its stories from crime and espionage fiction with sci-fi's tendency towards social commentary.

Steampunk doesn't really have any kind of story template. There are no common villains or character arcs.
You have the inventor-explorer-noble and their zeppelin. And that's it.
>>
>>46425123
That'd be really annoying during the day though (you're completely right about the brim), I'd figure it was a thing you have on you, then you stop when it starts getting dark and take it off the hat and put it on to switch to night vision.
>>
>>46423509
Eight: The cogs do nothing, in this setting fashion has evolved in a way that parallels cogfop.
>>
>>46421997
I just listened to the first minute of Streetlight Manifesto's first album and I'm curious how someone would say that they weren't ska.
>brass
>reggae bass
>punky
Granted that's about all you need but how wouldn't it be?
>>
Because it has become mainstream fad. Even more sad is that dieselpunk (which is the god tier xpunk "genre") will be ruined next and it has already started.

It can be done right. Just play Arcanum and see.
>>
>>46424507
Not really, but it used to be when world was still
dieselpunk in real life. Anyway, "pulp" means also lovecraft horror stories and barbarian fantasies not necessarily just retro S/F or Indiana Jones.
>>
File: Mercury NY.jpg (707 KB, 2048x1094) Image search: [Google]
Mercury NY.jpg
707 KB, 2048x1094
>>
>>46421872
>Dishonored
>Good
>>
>>46422782
Anon, don't dilute things further and just add punk onto random words to try and create a sub genre. It's post apocalypse. You don't need to push the point that it's got grit.
>>
>>46428833
Dishonored is a mediocre stealth came set in a good setting.
>>
>>46423338
It's the style of the time?

"Look at these poor simpletons. They can't even afford cogs on their hats. For shame."
>>
>>46425123
>>46425422

No no, you don't pull the sight down or over the brim or anything. It's fixed. You just stuff your whole fucking head into the hat and peer out the little night vision peephole.
>>
File: _average_steampunker.jpg (85 KB, 715x588) Image search: [Google]
_average_steampunker.jpg
85 KB, 715x588
>>46430166
>>
File: P1000_Ratte.jpg (851 KB, 2835x708) Image search: [Google]
P1000_Ratte.jpg
851 KB, 2835x708
>>46423217
>>46423205
>>46423167
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEvfD4C6ow

>>46424227
Shame that the Ratte never had a finished modell. Pic related
>>
>>46421196
>>46423565
It has some legitimate charm and fun design and production choices. It'd have been a lot better if it wasn't trying so hard to be MIB.

>>46423425
>wearable difference engine
That's not half bad.
>>
>>46421196
I watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Van Helsing as a kid and I legitimately liked them, not knowing better. They're entertaining at least, but that might be nostalgia.
>>
Part of what irks me about steampunk is how Britain-centric steampunk is.

Imagine intervening in the Meiji Restoration, mowing down samurai with a gatling gun arm and the shogunate forces respond by making a coal-fired gundam.

Or perhaps the Haymarket affair and the various coal town strikes playing out with improvised tanks against literal corporate drones who sacrificed their sentience for more scrip?

How about Ned Kelly terrorising colonial Victoria in a suit of power armor with a pack of cyborg kangaroos as backup?
>>
>>46422216
Shadowrun is cyberpunk x fantasy
Still cyberpunk just with magic and orcs thrown in
>>
>>46432046
most fantasy in general is europe-centric. it's worse in steampunk because the genre is so small, but not surprising, considering most people are only familiar with two things in the 19th century: victorian britain and the wild west. but then, victorian britain was the center of the world at the time, so it's like setting a modern game in america. just kind of the default.
>>
>>46432134
>cyberpunk-fantasy
You know, I have to wonder: what do people consider to be the defining line where it crosses from sci-fi to fantasy? Because if it's just the point at which things dip away from the real, then Star Trek would be fantasy because they don't have causality-breaking FTL travel. If science fiction can be "soft", then the way that magic is handled in Shadowrun is very much akin to a science; so it's really just science fiction with a new force of nature, called "magic".

Even the elves dwarves and such have scientific explanations. If Blindsight is sci-fi despite having scientifically-explained vampires, so is Shadowrun.
>>
>>46433118
there isn't a defining line. genres are more like a big tree that keeps branching out, than lots of seperate little boxes. sci-fi and fantasy have similar roots and were not originally distinguished at all.

but, for what it's worth, star trek's FTL is rooted in speculative science even if it's an unrealistic presentation of those ideas. it's not so much the "realism" which defines it as the presentation and the provenance. for its part, shadowrun is clearly inspired by both the cyberpunk tradition and fantasy, and it draws inspiration from both real scientific ideas (again, not always executed in a realistic way) and mysticism/mythology/religion (stuff like shamanism). i don't think anyone would claim shadowrun wasn't a hybrid.

you can mix together genres and you can have a few elements from other genres without automatically belonging to those genres. a movie with a few jokes isn't always a comedy. and when a movie is a comedy it doesn't prevent it from also being a drama or a romance.
>>
>>46418779
Because steampunk is pretentious as fuck.
>>
>>46423628
Is it as boring and depressing as Pact?
>>
>>46433118
>what do people consider to be the defining line where it crosses from sci-fi to fantasy?

Well, one kinda all-encompassing definition would be:

>Science Fiction takes place in our system of reality
>Fantasy takes place in a system of reality

Which would make it impossible to have clear borders, simply because we don't know everything about our system of reality. It also makes pretty much anything a sub-genre of fantasy, but that doesn't matter for now.

However, what this allows us is to make out the border areas that shift as we learn more about our world. When Star Trek TOS aired, the things that happened seemed possible, even with a lot of "we don't know exactly what's going on yet". But the thanks to Heisenberg, we learned that the transporter cannot work the way it was described. So come TNG and we learn that there are "Heisenberg compensators" in the transporter units, but we don't learn how they work. We are given the promise that there is something we don't know yet that connects the fantastical to our reality.

And in a way, this is a big problem of Steampunk. People took the fantastical elements of Jules Vernes and the like and used them in their own work as the promise of the unknown.
But we know how steam engines work. Really well actually. Many fantastical aspects of Steampunk settings appear completely asinine to any reader that understands the steam engine. So the one that stay invested are people that don't understand technology very well, which is bad for a genre that is defined by technology.
Imagine if a modern Scifi writer got all their knowledge about computers from 90s movies.

From there things snowballed until steampunk was nothing more than an aesthetic, a thing to look pretty without any substance.
That's not to say that any work using similiar technology must be like this, but the trend is set.
>>
>>46423594
>gothicpunk
/tg/ pls
>>
>>46430792
>teamfortress2.jpg
>>
>>46434262
Good work, anon. You've pointed out that a piece of art made to accompany one of the updates to Team Fortress 2's economy is Team Fortress 2 related.
>>
>>46418779
Because normal steampunk doesn't understand
how a steam engine works
how guns work
how clockwork works
why boiler might explode
why coal is valuable in his/her setting
class struggle
actual oppression of lower classes
colonization and why it was done
fashion etc

Also normal steampunk seems to be gluing nonfunctional gears in shit and little else.

tl;dr
Most steampunk fans are idiots and what >>46418990 said.
>>
Because it's either a lazy way to put machine gun and show technologically advanced race in your magical setting
Or a lazy way to create alternative history.Completely same shit ,different picture.
So, it's boring shit which doesn't performs it's purpose,loved by plebs(due to lack of experience),hipsters and people ,striving for free money.
>>
>>46421424
To a lot of people, the *punk aspect has effectively become a way of identifying a setting as "revolving around this one type of technology and aesthetic, imagining the world as if it were built around this one concept."

Though in terms of what typically makes steampunk bad, I agree with you.
>>
>>46421934
It's because realistically the only consistent way that the *punk is actually used is to describe the aesthetic and technology of a world in question.

Dieselpunk for example revolves around technology from the 1910s to the late 1940s, but some of that tech in a couple settings is supposed to be capable of keeping up with, or surpassing, modern tech. What matters is that somehow, this interwar tech base and aesthetic and typically, world values, is what manages the setting as a whole. There will obviously be some changes and anachronisms, but that's the meat of it.
>>
>>46422151
He can't anon, it's the weekend. :^)
>>
>>46422290
Looks like a steampunk game to me. More specifically, steampunk vs fantasy (magitek? I haven't played the game).

As a side note, that walking tank operator was badass.
>>
>>46422484
Wolfenstein: the New Order, Warbirds (my personal favorite), d6 Sky, Leviathan (pretty meh because I couldn't get into the biopunk aspects, but that's taste and the dieselpunk aspects were handled well enough), Dishonored as >>46422547 said, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Luftrausers...

If you're feeling a bit stretchy about it too, you can read 1910s-1940s alternate history. I personally read Turtledove's Timeline 191 with a bit of a dieselpunk eye when I'm desperate for more of the genre.
>>
>>46422547
I think Dishonored is more of Teslapunk. With all this coils shooting electricity on you. Or maybe not.
>>
File: Pirata_Aerodrome.jpg (470 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Pirata_Aerodrome.jpg
470 KB, 800x600
>>46436568
>Looks like a steampunk game to me. More specifically, steampunk vs fantasy (magitek? I haven't played the game).

the game has three factions: a steampunk italian faction themed around da vinci's designs, a fantasy arabic faction that uses sand, fire and glass magic, and a sci-fi aztec faction ruled by aliens based on 'chariots of the gods'. the idea was to mix things up by having each faction represent a different genre. not a great game but some of it was cool.
>>
>>46422484
Bioshock
Mortal Engines is more post apocalyptic but it a lot of the themes and aesthetics that you would associate with dieselpunk.
Metropolis
Atlas Shrugged
>>
>>46436809
That sounds really neat, actually.
>>
its been overrun by people who identify with and want to play/cospay/read about the villains
>>
>>46424227

>AC-130 spiritual predecessor
>>
>>46420581
>all this autistic rage
>>
>>46421424
>Cyberpunk follows that idea - you're using 'the tools of The Man against The Man'. The world is oppressed by the elite, using technology to surveil and suppress you, so you're using technology to sabotage them and free the information they've taken.
What, no. It's about being a punk -- a dreg of society -- not about rebelling. Punks got their name from the insult, not the other way around, and it's the same with cyberpunk. See: Case, Molly, Bob &c.: people at the bottom who crawl around the bottom and occasionally move slightly further up, or further down.

It's about being a shitstain in a world painted with shit.
>>
File: 250SteamGargant.jpg (17 KB, 250x265) Image search: [Google]
250SteamGargant.jpg
17 KB, 250x265
STEAM GARGANTS
>>
>>46433237
>for its part, shadowrun is clearly inspired by both the cyberpunk tradition and fantasy, and it draws inspiration from both real scientific ideas (again, not always executed in a realistic way) and mysticism/mythology/religion (stuff like shamanism). i don't think anyone would claim shadowrun wasn't a hybrid.
And as I mentioned before, Peter Watts Blindsight is clearly inspired by fantasy with the vampires present, but they are viewed from a scientific perspective. The setting justifies everything from how they can mesmerize people to why they are repelled by crosses. And yet, it's all from the presumption that they are an extinct offshoot of human genetics.

In that same vein, Shadowrun has a scientific (albeit soft) approach to the magics. Such supernatural things as zombies and vampires are justified by virology of the period, and magic itself has been hit with the science stick (what with measurable background counts of mana, and experimental new technologies specifically tailored to magic).

I just think its arbitrary that we consider any setting which has "magic" to be fantasy because of the word "magic", yet consider mecha anime to be "sci-fi", despite the fact that such robots are in no way rooted to reality... robots just inherently have this arbitrary attachment to science that makes them considered "sci-fi" regardless of how fantastical they become. The same is true for hard light, time travel, or any of the other things that are, for all intents and purposes, rooted into elements of reality we know to be effectively impossible.
>>
Steampunk is aesthetically driven garbage. Literally all style with no substance.
>>
>>46418779
Simple.

Because there hasn't been any exemplary genre setter in books or movies.
>>
File: Mortal Engines London.jpg (193 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Mortal Engines London.jpg
193 KB, 1600x900
>>46436841
>Mortal Engines
my niggah

A traction city, now that's my sort of mega-machine
>>
>>46419413
imagine cyberpunk. But instead of criticizing corporate america and the apathy of the modern human, it is criticizing the problems of Victorian and Edwardian european society.

But, faggets use it as an excuse to have gear shaped buttplugs and T0 BEE unique :)
>>
>>46422761

The entire time I was playing New Order I kept thinking "So the Nazi's were right about the Jews the entire time and are only bad because they have gone into the deep end of insanity." and then I kept thinking "How is the creation of a bunch of scattered enclaves superior to the creations of a government that has the resources of an entire planet and a very large chunk headed directly into R&D"
>>
File: Mercedes-Benz 1937 G4W31.jpg (23 KB, 400x203) Image search: [Google]
Mercedes-Benz 1937 G4W31.jpg
23 KB, 400x203
>>46444645
>"How is the creation of a bunch of scattered enclaves superior to the creations of a government that has the resources of an entire planet and a very large chunk headed directly into R&D"
Because superior Jewish physics?

Yeah, it is kind of an odd effect, especially when you see the sort of stuff the nazis build, but it's just a conceit of the game, to let you have cool stuff... with a possible implication that certain aspects of science were treated with disdain for being jew-associated, which is something that happened IRL to a degree.
>>
So
Uh
I just have a really massive MechEng boner for grand, impractical, clever works of obsolete and analog technology, mechanical or early electromechanical. I would metaphorically fuck an anachronistic Internet built out of telegraph networks, pneumatic tubes, and electromechanical Analytical Engines. Retrofuturism is absolutely my jam, and the kind of pulp futurism from the early 20th / lateish 19th centuries, back before we were really sure how atoms or space or fundamental physics worked, is especially my jam.

If I were to construct a setting with these sort of aesthetic features, what should I call it to avoid #triggering people?
>>
File: mundaneum 2.jpg (70 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
mundaneum 2.jpg
70 KB, 600x338
>>46445865
Sadly, you won't be able to. The internet is forever trigger-happy.

However, I share your interests. Check out pic related, the Mundaneum (probably better reverse-searching the image than wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundaneum
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.