[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ General Part n: Grim vs. Noble Dark edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: chaos_star_and_gods_3205.jpg (33 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
chaos_star_and_gods_3205.jpg
33 KB, 350x350
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War. Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk. ROLEPLAYING.

Book Repositories (If you're planning o downloading any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file I put in the RT directory.)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
Shield of Humanity PDF
https://mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2zfoc5jo7s7vrb5/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

>Previous thread
>>46365958 (Cross-thread)

>>46415294 (Cross-thread)
I do fully understand the issues with maybe being snowflakey. I don't want to be so, necessarily, but I liked the idea of someone who's highly idealistic and sheltered coming to realize just how often the Imperium fails humanity and the Emperor, and the purity of the Sororitas strikes me as a more interesting starting point.

Also, of course, the aforementioned "icon" stuff.
>>
Hi all. Asked in 40k general but got no responses.

I've been invited to a Rogue Trader game. I skimmed through the careers and decided to be a Seneschal, he seems like a sneaky-stealthy-smart-and-charming type who is also great at accounting and general commerce, and I absolutely love this kind of characters in RPGs. I'm not familiar with the game itself, only had a couple one-shots in Only War before, all with pre-generated characters. So, I'd like to not make any choices I'd regret during chargen. Are there any options I should avoid? And, preferably, are there any sources of advice on character making, like a guide?
>>
File: Have you seen Ninja.jpg (88 KB, 600x645) Image search: [Google]
Have you seen Ninja.jpg
88 KB, 600x645
>>46415928

Seneschal is all or nothing - if your GM is making a lot of flat out combat runs, then you will suffer a bit. If you have a heavy politickan game, you can carry your team. RT careers are hyper specialized, and will do a few things excellently, and flounder at others. Augment what you're good at, buy gear that boosts what you're good at, and remember that your homeboys should (hopefully) have your back.

As a seneschal, you are the first line of defense for the team's profit factor. You are James Bond mixed with Charles Foster Offdensen. You can buy friends and enemies, and know almost everything and anyone anywhere. Pick wisely.
>>
>>46416026
Thanks. Speaking of gear and stuff. Is it feasible to invest in character skills and knowledge and operate with the bare minimum of gear? Like being on par in damage with someone wielding a plasma cannon while having only a pistol just because you're a really good shot? I prefer the approach of "the less you can lose the better" due to a long time playing Eclipse Phase, can it work?
>>
>>46415582
This heresy will doom the thread. Don't you remember what happened last week?
>>
File: Plasma Weapons.jpg (70 KB, 592x392) Image search: [Google]
Plasma Weapons.jpg
70 KB, 592x392
>>46416191

There are a few talents in this system like Mighty Shot that slightly boost ranged damage. Boosting accuracy is covered by range, fire rate, enemy size, and other factors.

However, in general, an Arch-Militant or Ork will effortlessly out-DPR a seneschal, simply because so many of their talents are combat based, and earlier.

Certain weapons can even the gap (Many consider Tau pulse weaponry to be the best all-round infantry weapon, though Eldar blasters, inferno pistols, and volkite weapons can help), but you're not playing a Seneschal for damage.
>>
>>46416280
No, I only found the previous thread.
>>
>>46416290
I'm not asking about damage. I'm asking if it's viable to focus on abilities, skills and talents and get by without fancy gear if the situation arises. Being very good at sneaking without super high-tech camouflage, being very good at counting without math-boosting brain implants, and so on.
>>
Are there stats for the sort of ghetto vehicles the Severan Dominate routinely cobbles together? I remember them being mentioned somewhere but i cannot find the stats. I wanna throw something a little less armored than a chimera at my party, as I dont think they have any dedicated anti-tank beyond a couple krak grenades
>>
>>46416373

Talents and Traits you get over the course of the game will grant you different bonuses and abilities, yes. For example, the Seneschal gets the Whispers talent, so he can just always have an ear out for sedition and whatnot, no gear required. By boosting your attributes and appropriate skills, you can get by, yes.

Some tasks will be MUCH easier with gear (A stummer gives +30 to silent move tests, a hefty bonus), while others will be a small boost (A calculance array gives only +10 Commerce).

In general, it is possible to be good at your job without gear, but gear will make you GREAT at your job.
>>
>>46415928
What's your group comp? That obviously will change what you can/should do. If you have 4 face punchers, you, and the RT, then you'd want to focus moreso on social aspects. The reverse is equally applicable
>>
Hi anons, I am setting up a RT game for some friends, and their dynasty is quite low on the SPs. I am looking for some good, cheap ships to offer, and I noticed that the core book has the wolfpack raider as a sample ship. Has someone tried that option? I plan on offering it to them for 32 SP (it is similar to most light raiders, but with 35 rather than 30 space).

Also, the wannabe-seneschal wants to be a sniper and get cheaper BS or agility. Would it be a big issue to make it cheaper to advance at the cost of intelligence or fellowship and make him more of a dynasty-associated assassin, or just tell him to deal with it and offer him some elite talents/alternative levels now and then? The guy is not that familiar with 40k so I am not sure he will do a good job as a seneschal anyway.
>>
You know, I just realized this: the Orders Sabine, the Sororitas who apparently have the job of infiltrating untouched human worlds to pave the way for missionaries, are named after the women who were repeatedly raped by pre-Roman men in an effort to create a new generation for Rome, in a certain story. It's rather fitting to have the arrival of the Ecclesiarchy be allegorically tied to mass rape, I confess.
>>
What's it like, to be trained by the Adeptus Mechanicus? Say that some bright young woman finds that an aptitude for and interest in machines, and goes to ask to join the local organization of techpriests. What happens next?
>>
Anyone know which book Heroic Inspiration is in?
>>
File: Blobfish.jpg (77 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Blobfish.jpg
77 KB, 250x250
>>46417928
>what if random people claim to like stuff

The Imperium doesn't need you - you need the Imperium, so precious snowflakes don't exist there. If you show mechanical aptitude in schola, you will be - barring clerical error - duly shunted along the career path that best benefits the Bureaucracy at the time. No one cares what you think you want because you're nothing. Less than nothing if you try to game the system.

Now - back in your habhole, citizen.
>>
>>46419103
It's just an example to set the blasted mood. But it can be anything. The point is, what is the experience of training to become a techpriest like?
>>
>>46419103

Fuck this I'M GOING TO CHAOS
>>
File: soldier.jpg (168 KB, 968x712) Image search: [Google]
soldier.jpg
168 KB, 968x712
How many men should I assign per squad of my household guard in my RT game? I have about a thousand men to draw from, so that's not an issue. What IS the issue is training time and equipment cost. They're gonna be equipped with volkites so I need divisions large enough to do damage and be effective, but small enough to stay mobile, deploy as needed, retain casualties and lost arms, and accept commands.
>>
Is there a collected set of core rules for the 40k RPGs? Something that takes all the revisions of Only War and makes them work with the older games?
>>
>>46419370
Can't really go wrong with squads of 10. 7 line companies of 100 each, then 3 reserve companies. When squads sustain casualties, if there is time for it, you replace a depleted squad with a fresh one from reserves, then build the depleted squad back up to full strength with replacements. That also means that new guys entering the household guard are surrounded by veterans, so training may be a little easier.
>>
I know nothing about 40k but I think the setting looks super-cool. Is the RPG a good enough introduction?
>>
>>46421351
It is okayish, the tabletop game lore is completely bananas and the RPGs try to make it a bit more palatable, but it is the same setting. Most of the core books have a short introduction of what the Imperium is, wtf the various adepti are, and all that. Apart from that, remember that we are talking about a huge empire that covers much of the galaxy and while there is a "typical" way stuff goes, almost any possible shit happens somewhere.
>>
>>46415928

At first, you might not be the best of everything, so try to pick some useful skills. Generally, seneschals excel at being savvy, underhanded and reasonably sociable - the consigliere to the Rogue Trader's don, in a sense, or the spymaster to the general (basing a seneschal off Varys or Petyr Baelish is certainly an option). You should be able to hold your own in social encounters, but while the RT tends to be a spotlight hog, the seneschal works best from the sidelines. Overall, focus on a few useful skills and have a few backups, then the team should help with the rest.

I'd say avoid focusing everything into combat. Make sure you can do something when it happens, but should not be your first priority unless the game revolves around that. When it comes to fighting, eh, you do not shine, but you start with some good gear.

Remember the seneschal special ability - you can be extra good at investigation and commerce, so build around that first unless you are 100% sure the game will focus around fighting everyone, all the time.
>>
>>4641937
>They're gonna be equipped with volkites so I need divisions large enough to do damage and be effective, but small enough to stay mobile, deploy as needed, retain casualties and lost arms, and accept commands.

the modern platoon has already perfected this. outfit as use will and keep them in platoons and companies
>>
>>46421634
Pretty much this.
>>
So, i like a dick shot a necron lord skull out of a deathwatch battle brother's hand. We are playing it like the pre discovery of necrons. Then, on a mission to get s free booter captain, our tech marine who lost his trophy which i destroyed decided to throw me into a rapidly desintegrsting part of a smited, exploded ship where the smite power was going off, i shot him, nearly killed him, and was thrown in by someone else.

As a result, i died, no geneseed recovery, and the willing execution of a raven guard with no attempt at geneseed recovery.

I am basically getting my character back, but what should I do with my character's successor? And what should happen to the kill team?
>>
On of my players was hit by a multi-laser burst from an enemy ship in Black Crusade.
Is there a conversion system for how much damage they'd take since the damage indicator in Rogue Trader seems focused on ship-to-ship combat
>>
>>46425801

Wait, like a Macrocannon barrage?

Instagib, gg no re unless he burns infamy. It's detailed in Battlefleet Koronus.
>>
File: aoi great shock.png (337 KB, 597x720) Image search: [Google]
aoi great shock.png
337 KB, 597x720
>>46425838

WELP
They ain't gonna be happy about this
>>
>>46425339
that was extremely convoluted. l2 write better
>>
>>46425339
Green text it, m7.
>>
>>46426132
He got hit by weaponry meant for ship to ship combat, how any of you didn't think he was dead is beyond me.
>>
>>46426381

I don't think you understand the HP pools, toughness, and armor that factors into Black Crusade. Not to mention infamy.
The alternative to being almost hit (4d10 + 5 pen 4) is very survivable for a high level BC Chaos Marine.
>>
>>46425801
Anything directly hit by a Lance is instantly destroyed with no chance of survival.
Anything within a blast radius of 1 square kilomter takes 5d10 + 10 E; Pen 6.

Anything directly hit by a Macrocannon shell (which is like a few dozen meters across) is instantly and utterly destroyed.
Then everything within the blast radius of 10 square kilometers will take 4d10 + 5 X; Pen 4.

But you can burn a fate point to have thankfully jumped out of the way behind some sort of super-wall or something beforehand, and survive with mere horrendously shocking burns.
>>
>>46426449
For situations like this, I like to imagine direct intervention from the Emperor since its the only conceivable means of survival.
>>
>>46419185

Low level menial research and data entry/analysis, but your keyboard is in the mouth of a servitor or repairing and reassembling circuitboards in clone baby cherub feces processors or line manufactured las-rife scope quality assurance or something else boring and time consuming. There are several hundred of you assigned to a project, tech priest or magos basically at the behest of an arcane aptitude testing that required a large blood sample. Intensive study and copying of manuscripts. If you excel and someone above you dies, maybe you get moved up, maybe your fellow data scribes stab you in the back, sabotage your codework etc for the position. Repeat with slightly more interesting and important horrific projects, less but more cunning competitors and less flesh as you require modifications to keep up with the workload. Eventually orks or chaos or necrons or something invades your assigned world, research station or forge-liner and you die.
>>
>>46426637
Really? Any super-heavy structure should probably have enough armour to allow them to survive that amount of damage, especially if you roll low.
>>
>>46426282
>fire at necron skull our techmarine was taking as a trophy
>I destroy it with a highly accurate shot, i rolled an 008.

>his player is furious and I hear him planning my death ooc

>second mission is getting an orc freebooter captain
>at the end of the mission, our white scars psyker is insanely pushing his abilities, smiting the room full of orcs, huge room

>it goes off. Destroys the whole room after i'd moved out of it. As it's exploding, however, our techmarine tries throwing me in, and fails. I shoot him as a response and nearly kill him. 18 out of 20 wounds.

>our apothecay does throw me in and I am annihilated in the explosion , and summoning of the greater demon while the kill team extracts

> the white scar died, and I was executed by my kill team. No geneseed recovery, no edited headcam video.

>what should happen to my killers? The raven guard are a deleted chapter

Also, these events are set at a time before the tombworlds awake
>>
>>46426906
Depleted
>>
>>46426906
If you wanted your character to have died, and follow proper in-universe responses?

I would have them dishonorably discharged from the Deathwatch, and sent back to their Chapters in disgrace.
They would be executed for treason by ther Chapters in order to both wash away the stain of their trechery and to appease the Raven Guard.

However that would end the game...

In all honesty though?
I would go to the player of the team killer, tell him to get his shit together or he's out of my fucking game.
Dock him an entire session's worth of experience.
Then retcon your character into having survived horrendously wounded, needing significant bionic replacement, having been founded floating in space in a failing suit of Power Armour, having managed to survive the explosion as if blessed by the Emepror himself.

If he so much as tried to do anything counter productive to the party, he'd be out of the game.

I don't suffer lethal party conflict, ESPECIALLY in Deathwatch.
>>
>>46426688
Or, in the PC's case, you do something to catch the attention of an Inquisitor and are requisitioned. But that is a good start, and I'll think about what I might have done to interest the Inquisition.
>>
>>46427081
>especially in Deathwatch

I mean. I play a fucking Dark Angel and at most I will be a little terse with Space Wolves. I can't fathom why the fuck plotting to actually kill another member of your Squad for what amounts to a dick move seems like it is alright.
>>
>>46426906
Have the bolter shell wound cast doubt over whatever story the guy comes up with.
>>
>>46427137
Because they're petty shitcunts.
Deathwatch attracts them like flies, as they hear that it's mostly combat based and you get to play Space Marines.
>>
>>46427081
He's a friend of the gm
>>
>>46427137
Agreed. (Though admittedly the Wolves and Angels do have that traditional dueling match)
>>
>>46427137
My character had a history of shooting into combat and never hitting his fellow marines. The techmarine who tried to kill me is your typical beta nu male type. I don't look much better, but i'm not the walking stereotype of one. Most of them are petty. Also, the tech marine wasn't even in the game I'd shot into combat in.
>>
>>46427413
*Most nu males
>>
>>46427137
I've killed other PCs as a Dark Angel in Deathwatch before. Ex-Ravenwing Character and the GM just threw a fallen at us, who basically told the party exactly what he was and the concept of the Fallen. We were out of comms with command so I just made like it wasn't a big deal, waited till the (now mostly wounded) team walked into a corridor ahead of me then cut them to pieces with two Heavy Bolter bursts. This was pre-Errata. Was pretty pissed with GM about it actually as he kindof Kobiyashi'd my character into it, but it became a fun story for the group, so it could be worse I guess.
>>
>>46427280
Doesn't matter, talk to the GM.
Dude's being a petty little shit and flat up murdered your character because you disagreed with him taking a dangerous, unclean, Xenotech trophy.

>>46427413
>Most of them are petty.
Jesus, you've got no hope man.
Best of luck with your next group, should you do the wise thing and kick them to the curb.
>>
Why is the hellrifle so shit and how would you buff it to actually be worth it's rarity?
>>
>>46427471
Not the group. Nu males.
>>
>>46427508
>Nu males.

I do not know this meme.

>>46427482
They're overspecialized for targets that rely much more on armor than Toughness Bonus to soak damage, which basically limits their effectiveness to other humans, certain strains of mutant, and Eldar. If you wanted to buff them up, give them Felling or something.
>>
>>46427619
It does have felling (2), but a long-las or sniper rifle does the 'long distance kill' thing better and cheaper.
>>
>>46427640
It does? Maybe I'm mistaken in what I thought you were talking about; I thought you meant the hellgun/hot-shot lasgun. Which I believe doesn't have Felling, just Pen 7 and 1d10+4 E damage.
>>
>>46427679
I mean the hell rifle in Enemies Beyond.

Exotic basic, 300m, s/-/-, 1d10+4, pen 4, unlimited mag size, Felling (2), weight 10kg, Very Rare
>>
>>46427730
Oh, pfft. That explains it, I haven't read Enemies Beyond yet.

Looking at it...it's still decent but not amazing damage, the pen has been nerfed severely, the range is outstanding and the Felling I think is enough to negate an Ork Boy's Unnatural (T) but not otherwise incredible. Single shot only would hurt it but that infinite clip...hrm. It's Exotic too, so you have to pay for an extra Talent to get it...resoundingly meh all in all. Not the worst thing out there, but you could probably get more mileage out of a long-las loaded up with hot-shot packs or a sniper rifle with customized ammo.
>>
>>46427730
The one in the original Dark Heresy was 2d10+4...
>>
>>46427828
And pen 7, but was Unique.
>>
>>46427814
Speaking of weapon training talents, why the hell are they General/Finesse? Wouldn't General/Offense be more in-line for what they are?
>>
>>46427845
Which seems to be a problem with the later 40K RPGs, they're all so scared about players not being able to immediately get their hands on the good stuff that they make it both more easily available, and shit.
>>
>>46427947
You'd think so. I guess I can sort of see Finesse in that if you're fumble-fingered it's usually going to be hard to learn how to shoot a given sort of gun, but Offense still fits better regardless.
>>
>>46427966
Taking a second look in that book, the incinerator also did 2d10+6, but was listed in the Grey Knight armory. I suppose you could still keep the 1d10 incinerator for humans and use the 2d10 for GK.
>>
>>46427947
I can see why they made it finesse, but really I think aptitudes only work well when each of them is more widely applicable.

Perhaps offer 2 or so different potential aptitudes for each possible advance.

>>46427966
Or more easily available, and overpowered, making it a mandatory purchase and completely fucking with the entire system.

At least in 1e you had the question of "and you're getting those Thrones from where"?
>>
>>46428003
That'd be a pretty nice way to making talents more available.

>>46428003
1e doesn't actually have a listed price for the hellrifle.
>>
>>46428056
Why the fuck did I quote twice?
>>
>>46428056
>1e doesn't actually have a listed price for the hellrifle
Then that meant that players had to go through in-game, roleplaying means to acquire it, which is infinitely better than "hey GM, imma roll to buy a Thunder Hammer".
>>
>>46427730

Rarity isn't a measure of power. It's a measure of how rare it is in the lore. Stop trying to powergame. Not everything needs to be effective.
>>
If a psyker has two-weapon wielding and precision telekinesis, can they dual-wield with it? Can you make unarmed attacks with precision telekinesis and if so, would it be affected by talents that affected unarmed attacks?
>>
>>46428340
Talk.
To.
Your.
GM.

This shit is beyond what the rules intended, so talk to the person in your group whose job it is to interpret what the rules say.
>>
In honor of Dead Space being free on xbox right now, anyone want to try statting out the Dead Space cutter for 40krpgs? Preferably DH2e since it's the most recent.
>>
DH2E; where does it tell you what to do if you receive the same skill or talent twice during character creation?
>>
>>46429988
You stack skills, though I can't find what it says about talents.
>>
>>46430067
Ok ... But I'm a Muppet, and even after going through core again, I can't find that.
>>
>>46430330
Underspending exp with skills. You shouldn't be able to double up on talents in the first place though.
>>
>>46430400
To clarify, I mean under the skill advancement section of spending exp.
>>
>>46430400
Alternate homeworld bonuses could manage it; iirc there's a frontier alt that gives weapon training: flame.
>>
>>46430560
Well thats different, if you get Weapon Training: Flame from homeworld and background, you dont get to pick a different Weapon Training for example. Of course homeworld: WT: Flame and background WT: Chain then yeah they stack.
>>
No idea what it says about Talents, maybe it mentions something where they mention swapping out the Aptitude with whatever you want if you double up?
>>
>>46429988
Huh, not sure. What are you getting that has two of the same talent?
>>
>>46417434
Sort-of. The story of the Rape of the Sabine Women comes from a time when "Rape" means "kidnapping" rather than sexually assaulting someone. In most versions of the story, the Romans wanted to marry the Sabine women, but the rulers of the Sabine tribes refused, so the Romans kidnapped them and then married them with their consent and proper rights and all of that. It's mostly a story about trickery and guile leading to both symbolic and literal fertility, which is something the Ecclesiarchy would probably like to think of itself as doing.
>>
>>46431049
>Attuned to the Warp: A character from The Emperor’s Song gains the Deny the Witch talent.
vs Crusader role.

>Cleansing of Flames: Due to the constant threat of mind-mould infestation, every Temperance citizen masters the use of flame weapons from an early age. A character from this world begins with the Weapon Training (Flame) talent.
vs Adeptus Minestrone background.
>>
>>46431810
Those aren't giving you two of the same talent though, those are two different talents. Also, in both the Crusader role and the Adeptus Ministorum you get your choice of two talents.

Adeptus Ministorum gets
>Weapon Training (Flame)
OR
>Weapon Training (Solid Projectile) and Weapon Training (Low-Tech)

Crusader gets
>Deny the Witch
OR
>Bodyguard

Where are you getting two of the same talent?
>>
>>46426754

We are talking about shells meant to be effective against ship armor, which is supposedly tens of meters of Adamantium, and then do damage to what is underneath. If it is a direct hit, survival is impossible (my interepretation of the FP burn is "well it actually hit somewhere else and you are just close to the blast wave).

If there is enough adamantium behind you and the blast you can treat it as being in the outer area, but weapons designed to destroy warp-capable voidships are very serious business.
>>
>>46415582
Linking this to the OP, and will repost it in future threads as long as needed until it's included in the OP's mega link.

Here is a quick and dirty chargen miniguide.

anonfiles info
61dba86fe968445301e4c8f1b6785f1f

All the Homeworld, Background, and Role sidebars, as well as the Advancement and Aptitude tables.

If there are any problems with the link or the contents ping me and I'll see if I can fix it. I somehow fucked up the Outcast.png the first time, but that was an easy fix.

I may expand it to include Elite Advances and potentially other tables later but it depends on whether I feel like it. I did it mostly for myself, but someone else might find it useful. Used screenshots of my PDFs, pasted into a newly reinstalled GIMP (I had a rather old version), used a plugin I found to allow me to export separate layers as individual files, and then threw it all into a rar file.
>>
>>46431294
There was actual rape too probably, that was the Romans.

Also you're forgetting the war between the Sabines and Romans that ended in, "meh, let's merge" over the whole thing.
>>
>>46431866
I feel like you've missed or failed to communicate something so fundamental, it's beyond me to point out.
>>
>>46428087
I'm pretty sure you're doing something wrong as a DM if your players are rolling for a thunderhammer.

I always felt that all the problems with 2e aren't an issue if you have a competent guy running the show.
>>
>>46432554
Fellowship 50+, Contact Network, Commerce +20, take Peer a couple of times for Merchants, and play someone from the Administratum.

Easy as shit to achieve with a minimal amount of experience, and it allows you to easily acquire even the most powerful stuff.

Bar veto power, which players HATE, how do you deal with that?
2e inherent flaws which you can only deal with by changing the rules.
>>
>>46432593
>>46432593
>how do you deal with that

By vetoing it. You can say they hate it, but my players generally understand that they can't expect to roll up to the local Administratum and request a custom delivered Thunderhammer just because they're good with commerce. I also fall back on their influence like you're supposed to when it comes to those types of weapons.
>>
>>46432631
>I veto rules, and I have an understanding with my players
Wonderful, excellent work with your group.
However for everyone else whose players aren't perfect, the rules need to reflect the limitations that you've imposed.

Also you're not "supposed to", Contact Network has no limitations.

The 2e acquisition system is heavily flawed.
>>
>>46432670
>player has 40 influence
>I want a thunderhammer
>your requisition form is sent back with a fine for wasting the Administratum's time

I also make my players RP most of their acquisitions too. FFG made the mistake of assuming DM's could use common sense for this type of thing. The system works fine as long as you're not imcompotent. I don't know what to tell you beyond that.
>>
>>46432373
And I'm starting to think you're a troll.
>>
>>46432729
Then you don't go to the Administratum.
There are various trading houses and Forge Worlds who will happily sell individuals powerful weaponry.
Which is kinda what I was implying when I said the Peer talent with Merchants would help.

Look, GMs can full well decide "nah, fuck the rules", but the fact of the matter is that players rely on those rules in order to have some understanding of how the game will work.
>>
>>46432765
And saying "nah, it works fine when you completely ignore all of this stuff in the book" is no good argument in defense of the content of that very book.
>>
>>46432765
>>46432776
Ok, you're entirely missing the point of aquisition if you're having the players roll up into fucking shops in a forge world to get their shit.

Aquisitioning items is the collection of resources, everything to favors and raw cash, that you can pull together to get gear from places. An req roll can get you access to the information that the local PDF base has an extra heavy bolter lying around that the commander would be willing to exchange for a favor or bribe, which in turn leads to an interesting RP scenario for the players while still giving them a bit of a workout for it. It also gives them a few ways to approach it. Now that's a low level example, later on the resources in question will be much more substantial.

If you're treating the system like;
>okay, roll 2d10, okay, a 1 and a 1. With your modifiers that's 4 degrees of success...you get what you wanted

You're doing it wrong and have only yourself to blame. Not the system, and not the players. And pardon my English, it's my second language.
>>
>>46432900
Then the system should reflect that, because it doesn't, and players see it that way.

They see the modifier for an Extremely Rare item, they see the rules which states they can acquire it. They see nothing to state "oh, it doesn't work if the weapon is rare, and in getting it, I'm going to burden you with additional tasks, despite you having invested additional character creation resources into actually being able to find such an item".

What you are doing isn't the requesition system.
It is something that you have worked out with your players, and it works for you.

However that isn't how 2e works as the rules say it.

Yes, in some situations due to simple unavailability you can disallow tests.
But really dude, don't get into a discussion about the rules a system has, and then turn around and start spouting off your own custom-made system of rules as canon.
>>
Frankly, if someone invested the experience and put the work into being able to get a thunderhammer, I don't see why they shouldn't get a thunderhammer.
>>
>>46433015
Only I'm not doing that. These aren't my own rules. After reading the whole book, this system seemed the best reflection of the abstract requisition system, influence and commerce. your mindset about this is a problem in the hobby, strict and rigid worship of the rules as they're written, but a total ignorance of how to apply them in a game because you didn't actually understand them.

>burden you with additional tasks

It is not a burden if they're having fun.
>>
>>46433043
And there's the counterpoint.

Though really, the GM and their players should coordinate so they know what the tone of the game should be like, so they know if getting a Thunder Hammer is feasible or recommended.

Playing stealthy Inquisitorial investigators is made significantly harder should one person want to just run around hitting people with a kinetic-kill-hammer which could wreck a building.
>>
>>46433137
It would be, if I didn't mostly disregard 2e because of its shitty rules which try to adjudicate a section of the rules I would usually actually run like you want to, but in 1e, where that kind of thing makes sense.
>>
>>46433141
Well, just because you have the hammer doesn't make it the best tool in every situation. Indeed, that very fact is an easy part of the balance that only the most immature of players would complain about, provided that scenes requiring subtlety are balanced with combat scenes enabling them to use the hammer (and if the campaign is all subtlety and would never give a chance to use the hammer, a decent GM would have said so before any acquisition tests).
>>
>>46433177
A thunder hammer could make quite a good door-opener if they had one and time was of the essence.
>>
>>46433220
Well... You're not wrong per se.
>>
>>46433220
A thunder hammer will open a door quickly.
>>
>>46426410
Well, that's kind of retarded, isn't it?

We're talking guns the size of houses, no fucking way he survived.
>>
>>46433315
That's the problem with 40K's blast rules.
No matter how far away or close you are, if you're in the radius, you roll the same dice for damage.
>>
>>46433346
One could also use some common sense. That's what the GM is (besides other things) for, changing things that don't make sense on the fly.

>Just drank a cup of coffee
>capcha: select coffee
HOW DOES IT KNOW?
>>
>>46433374
Warp heresy, burn it!
>>
>>46433374
Well of course, but it bears mentioning.
>>
What's a good way to pit the PCs against one another in BC without them resorting to overt violence. They're all fairly diverse in their worship (2 undivided, 1 slannesh, 1 nurgle, 1 khorne) and have arguments but no one is trying to one up the other which I feel is pretty fundimental in the setting.
>>
>>46433488
Don't. If your party members aren't backstabbing each other, don't make them do so. If they find it fun to do that, they'll do it on their own, and if they don't, they're having fun, so don't fuck it up.
>>
>>46433502
Fair enough. Thanks.
>>
>>46433488
Competition.
Give them a mutually exclusive thing to acquire.
However don't let it be so major that they come to blows over it.

However also what >>46433502 said.
Black Crusade groups frequently dissolve into fits of self-destructive violence. Try to avoid that.
>>
>>46433161
I don't see how a basic currency system works better or makes more sense than the influence one.

Not the same guy, but it's the same way in 1e, no? Even if you have the Thrones you don't automatically have the right contacts or even knowledge of where to obtain whatever item it is.

It doesn't make sense that, even if a PC has the requirements to get something in either edition, they can just go to the nearest hardware store and pick up a tank, go to the administratum and acquire an alien rifle or purchase something that would only be found on a Forge World while deployed on a Feral one, without contacts or a someone to supply them.
>>
File: davrus profile.jpg (49 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
davrus profile.jpg
49 KB, 800x700
Alright gents. After a two week break from gaming because of life and holidays, I'm getting ready to head out the door on the session that may kill my Heretek. He's been captured by a cultist and psycker hiding in the midst of the local sentries, and was tortured for a while. The rest of the warband is currently planning several different ways of getting me free, most of which involve tons of chaos, explosions, and collateral damage. And this is after they pretty much waved the Inquisition banner everywhere to get support for what is essentially going to be an all out attack on a fortress full of sentries, a good portion of which are likely cultists, and the loyal sentries may just be fighting them already.

My naked, filth covered, blind Heretek is hanging from a cell after having spent give or take two days in there with no food or water and being tortured.

Wish me either a glorious escape, a worthy death, or both!

Pic related, it's my Heretek before he got captured.
>>
>>46432373
In the examples you've given, there's no duplication of talents since there's another option for you to take. You can't intentionally pick a choice that would give you a skill clash, so there's essentially no problem.
>>
>>46433721
In 1e as the GM you literally had to give them the thrones to acquire their gear. Like, you had a hard and fast cap on what they could expect to acquire through the very act of restricting their income.
Through this you could very easily ensure the players were scraping by on just enough Thrones to keep going, or you could shower then in wealth, depending on which approach their Inquisitor took.

In 2e it's based off of a player characteristic which they can extremely heavily supplement with skills and other characteristics, or just plain and simple replace with another characteristic, which you cannot control.
So the players could turn around one session and say "I have spent the resources on the capacity, I shall now make a test to buy 10 Missile Launchers".

In both situations there's the matter of item availability, however only in 1e as a GM could you flat up make something unavailable, rather than having to refuse it as a matter of principle.

Both systems have their place, and in all honesty I'm more of a fan of Acquisitions when you're working at a higher level where you would be buying Plasma Guns, Guncutters and Power Fists. It does however fall to shit when buying smaller and more readily available stuff.
>>
>>46434002
>You can't intentionally pick a choice that would give you a skill clash
Why not?
>>
>>46425801
Battlefleet Koronus has stats for space guns aimed at ground.
>>
File: mechanicus time.jpg (117 KB, 520x773) Image search: [Google]
mechanicus time.jpg
117 KB, 520x773
>>46432235
Yeah, fair point. I'm just saying the focus of the story tends to be less "We fucked the shit out of those bitches without their consent! Hell yeah! GO ROME!"
and more
"We out-witted those foolish old men and may now satisfy our virility with comely maidens, who are getting a good deal too because we are just and awesome men! GO ROME!"
Romans didn't see sexual violence against women as a particular problem in most contexts, but I think the story version usually focuses more on their cunning and lustiness than their rape-y-ness.
Frankly, I think both work for the Ecclesiarchy. They think of themselves as "rejuvenating" a culture by infiltrating it and converting it to their faith, but they're actually performing an act of cultural rapine.
>>46433735
YOU WILL BE JUSTLY PUNISHED FOR YOUR VIOLATION OF THE OMNISSIAH'S WILL. ADDENDUM: IT IS NOT SUFFICIENT THAT YOUR PUNISHMENT BE AT THE HANDS OF HERETICS. PLEASE ESCAPE WITH ALL HASTE AND MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE NEAREST TEMPLE MECHANICUS, AND REPORT YOURSELF TO THE PUNISHMENT SERVITOR. SELECT THE MAXIMAL SCOURGING SETTING, AND WAIT 5-10 MINUTES. PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF WHEN VISITING THE PUNISHMENT SERVITOR.
>>
>>46432373
Hey read this, this is what we were referencing
>>46429988
just in case youre to lazy to click it "DH2E; where does it tell you what to do if you receive the same skill or talent twice during character creation?" SAME skill or talent
>>
>>46435915
>They think of themselves as "rejuvenating" a culture by infiltrating it and converting it to their faith, but they're actually performing an act of cultural rapine.

But they are saving and rejuvenating it. In a setting where saying or even thinking the wrong thing will summon literal gods and daemons, reforming a culture to protect against such things is good.
>>
>>46437273
Given the steady rise of psyker occurrences across humanity, any isolated planet discovered in the 41st millennium will already have had extensive experience with psykers, and if it hasn't been turned into a daemon world by psyker abuse, they probably know how to handle threats from Chaos without the Emperor.
>>
What magic can a librarian cast while engaged in melee? What type of magic is allowed to be cast in melee and what type isn't?
>>
>>46437852
It should specify in the rules. Anything that doesn't have a cast time should be able to be castable unless it has a minimum range greater than you're engagement distance
>>
What happens when armor penetration is higher than the armor rating? Additional damage?
>>
>>46438310

Nothing. Additional penetration is lost. You can't pen toughness bonus.
>>
>>46438310
Nothing.
>>
>>46434119
>however only in 1e as a GM could you flat up make something unavailable

That's an outright lie you cheeky cunt.
>>
>>46438842
>>46434119
>In cases where the character is not near any source from which he could acquire the item or service, the GM can even simply disallow the Requisition test.

Page 143 on the Core Rulebook for reference. It also mentions earlier multiple times to add your own modifiers at your own discretion as the DM as to the availability of items.
>>
>>46438557
Which is why high-pen modest-damage weapons are so very limited in application.
>>
I have a Deathwatch question.

I'm playing a Dark Angels tactical marine, and before I spend the first mission's XP we got, I wanted to know if I should aim for Deathwing as an eventual choice of advance when I meet the requirements. Would my plan of making a very flexible and ballistic focused Operator compatible with termie armor?
>>
>>46441129
I love the concept of termie armor, but it sure couldn't be used as an argument for "flexible", even if it's much more agile than it looks
>>
Large scale battles, /tg/. Tell me about the ones you had, even as a backdrop. Personally I have a lot of platoon-level action, the largest to date is a company level fort defence against hordes of feral orks, there's a couple of IG platoons with support elements holding the line against a hundred xeno and many more to come
>>
>>46441590

There's an excel document floating around with someone's homebrewed new deathwatch gear. It has tartaros and cataphractii in it. The main draws is Tartaros allows you to dodge while losing some armor, and Cataphractii has a bigger shield.

My group goes for Tartaros now any chance they get after they saw that document.
>>
>>46441710
That is indeed cool, but you're still not going to be very flexible if you have to tear out pieces of wall around every doorframe before you can fit through it
>>
>>46441590
I was thinking of throwing a Storm Bolter on the arm and taking a heavy bolter with a fire selector, the scope and a couple of mags of specialized ammo and basically being a tac marine on steroids, and using the extra strength to pack a missile launcher.

Not sure how well that would gel though. Fuck me, I wish it wasn't too late to take Ravenwing.
>>
>>46441129
Deathwing advantages: you will never suffer Fear combat penalties, you get a few sweet bonuses to choose from before the mission like no penalties for running and gunning, global taunt and on-hit bonuses. You can pick up bolter drill and, in conjunction with your special ability that counts your rank +1 whenever you use a Dark Angels solo ability, wreak havoc with the storm bolter. And of course, Terminator armor so you never have to fear small arms fire again. You'll also have access to an introductory course in the Imperium's history, which is nice..? And some secondary skills related to command and tactics.

Deathwing cons: You're going to be a slow, heavy mobile weapons battery, with limited capacity to interact with the world. Much of your agility related advances are going to suffer, even if having a high agility will help you move a little bit faster. You're honor-bound, for the sake of the Chapter's survival, to prioritize the Fallen at all costs, whenever the GM feels sadistic enough to throw a lead at you. You can no longer plead ignorance; it's either chase the Fallen or get pulled into a dark corner the moment you return to the Watch Station and disappear mysteriously. Don't go that route if you're allergic to party conflict.
>>
>>46442211
The DM already told me that before I left the Rock my character was briefed that some members of the nine traitor legions like to dress up in stolen pre-heresy armor and try to frame us for being heretics, and what to do if I encounter them.
>>
File: Navigator_2.jpg (89 KB, 726x876) Image search: [Google]
Navigator_2.jpg
89 KB, 726x876
So, /tg/, I've a question about Navigators in RT. According to the rules, a Navigator starts with 2 powers, and he can choose to start with 1 Adept power instead.
My question is : can a Renegade House Navigator, who starts with one additional power, choose this option again to increase The Lidless Stare to Master ? One of my players is a bit powergamey on the side, and I'm worrying he could choose this to kill everything everywhere (including the rest of the crew) from day one.
>>
>>46433735
Alright, Davrus the Inquisitorial Heretek survived the session, burnt my last Fate though after taking a bullet to the face, point blank, while chained to the front door of the building I was imprisoned in earlier. One of the warband is in a cliffhanger position, potentially able to save my ass if the dice roll favorably and I don't get hit at all since I'm at 10 crit.

In case he by some miracle pulls out of this, I'm going to need medical care and to replace my gear. This is where I could use some input. I have some ideas for basics, and how I'm going to spend my time in-game in the future (depending on how soon I'm combat ready and what happens after all this shit is done), but I'm not exactly well versed in 40k.

Initially I'll need to fix my mouth for talking, and get basic ocular implants so I can see. I'll also want to replace my multitool, get a good dataslate, get some utility mechadandrites, and possibly build a servo skull.

After the basics I'll try to get as much data as possible, studying and reading up on everything I can. Along with that I'll try to get/make better ocular implants. Since right now my character's Awareness is probably his best feature (well, sans the lack of eyes) because of how much I've been using it and thus being able to improve it, I want to make it even better. I'll also be looking into various other implants, weaponry, armor, and gadgets. And lastly I'll be collecting scrap from anything I can, possibly including a busted as fuck vehicle that my comrade just drove off a drilling platform.

I'm in DH2e, but I'll take input from any edition since if I can't get it I can probably figure out how to make it. For now my weapon trainings are only solid point and las, so I'll be starting there. Help me make a Heretek's Dream of a wishlist. I doubt I'll get half of what winds up on the list, but I will try my damnedest to get what I can.

For added bonus, I already have Forbidden Lore (AdMech) and (Eldar) at one pip each.
>>
>>46442988
I don't think so.
Don't know what he's complaining about, level 2 Lidless Stare is still beastly.
>>
>>46443029
I'm considering trying to bring in some Dead Space flavor to this character by the way. For the hell of it. If he survives that is.
>>
File: 34267872.jpg (82 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
34267872.jpg
82 KB, 400x400
Anyone know hwy its so damn hard to find an onlywar core rulebook?
>>
>>46444031
>hard

Scroll up mate. To the OP.
>>
>>46444031
Because only retarded fa/tg/uys care about Deathwatch: Expendable Mook Edition.
>>
I'm reading through Tomb of Excess and am I reading this right or does the last part of Baleful Sculptor for the Flesh Shaper not actually do anything?

Having a psy rating of 3 and counting as unbound both don't do anything under the Rite of Fleshmoulding ritual and in the expanded ritual rules.
>>
>>46444031
Have you tried using the internet?
>>
>>46444553

Kek, it really doesn't.
F A N T A S Y F L I G H T G A M E S
I'd just homerule it to count as psy-rating 4
>>
>>46444553
Psy rating adds +5 to rituals as it does in focus power tests
As for how it works with the flesh shaper I can't say I can be fucked to actually look it up but I assume he can use it just like a psychic power and push it for bonus psy rating etc as usual
I never allow that bullshit rite nor the archetype inherently because that's all it is good for after the finale of one campaign made the whole party into absolute monsters, even for Black Crusade standards
>>
Anyone got an honour the chapter pdf to share?
>>
>>46446643
Have you tried looking in the Book Repositories in the OP?
>>
>>46446570
Isn't that only for daemonic mastery tests though?
>>
File: Ritual Modifiers.png (502 KB, 736x631) Image search: [Google]
Ritual Modifiers.png
502 KB, 736x631
>>46446714
Yes, here's the expanded Ritual modifiers table from Tome of Excess.
>>
I'm working a google doc for DH2 Character Creation that combines all the books into an easy to follow document, for the sake of make creation easier. it took a few days but, I've finished the Roles section and I'm curious to whether I should put Talents together also. Thoughts?
>>
>>46449258
yaaaaay. the dude compiling chargen is doing his thing!
>>
>>46415582
Why does the chaos star have 8 points but only 4 gods?

Are there 4 gods we are ignoring?
>>
>>46450817
Chaos being an eight-pointed star actually long predates Warhammer. Presumably, GW didn't want to make eight main gods.
>>
>>46451694
I thought it had to do with the Eight Winds of Magic from Fantasy.
>>
>>46419933
No, but you could make one.
>>
>>46451854
Comes rom the Chaos cultists from Battlecars and Dark Future.
They didnt have any gods or magic at the time IIRC, so they just added the winds and the gods afterwards when trasposing it to other settings.

>>46442988
If you're worried about your player, don't do it.

Alternatively, any smart RT or powerful opponent would keep a blank nearby, just in case.
>>
>>46432593
Here is my question:
Why are you so afraid of the players getting nice things?
Further, acquiring rare items still has it's own drawbacks, on top of the book itself, in print, clearly stating that you must be in a reasonable position to get certain items. You can't just roll Influence and get things, you need to be able to describe who you are going to and how, and sometimes, shit just isn't available to you, period, and that is alright.
On top of the, y'know, losing 5+ Subtlety just for ATTEMPTING to get a thunderhammer, and the insetting consequences for doing so.
But please, go on, tell me how nothing stops players, like a modicum of sense or mechanical repercussions.
>>
>>46452919
In all honesty? I'm not.
However should I be playing a game where I want them to be dumpster diving?

I'd like it if the game could acknowledge that.
>>
>>46452883
No it doesnt , 8 pointed star comes from Moorcocks work. Educate thyself.
>>
>>46443029
>One of the warband is in a cliffhanger position, potentially able to save my ass if the dice roll favorably and I don't get hit at all since I'm at 10 crit.
Shut the fuck up, I'm coming for you.
Despite the bitching and uselessness of the rest of the warband, I alone know the import of what I have done, and are doing.
>>
>>46452934
They can if they choose to.
The Influence system is vague and nuanced for a reason; the only people who I have ever seen have a problem with it are people coming from something like a D&D background where higher end gear is acquired as a matter of course over a character's advancement and payed for in coin gained from adventuring.
I understand that there are a number of not in your face pitfalls to freely trying to blow Influence rolls to get fancy gear, and the GM should be prepared to make those pitfalls manifest.
I mean, in the game I am in, a consequence of the new players going crazy with the Influence rolls from the start of the game was our infiltration being compromised, and we were jumped by raiders as we hiked to a hive city.
>>
>>46452955
Calm thye tits. What I meant is : Battlecars was the first GW game to use the star of chaos.
In Moorcock, it's a simple geometrical symbol with no deep meaning.
In Battlecars it has no more significance. They could have put a communo-libertarian emblem and it would have served the same purpose.
In Warhammer, it begins to have entities/winds linked to each arrow.
>>
>>46453087
Weird to see the evolution of such things.
>>
>>46453087
IIRC, in Moorcock's books, it was because Chaos goes in every direction without focusing on one of them.
>>
>people in this thread griping that DH2e players can, for a change, attempt to get nice things without bean counting, allowing them to be more effective agents without having to loot everything or go murderhoboing for cash
Fuck y'all, I'm here to be a Throne agent, not rub nickels together for corpse starch. You don't see that shit in any book that features the Inquisition.
>>
>>46452970
Hey, we've all seen how bad the dice can potentially roll. I'm literally one bullet from permadeath and am unable to do jack shit about it, forgive me if I'm not ready for the worst.
>>
This is a question for DM's and players: Would you rather keep playing in the grim dark spotlight that 40k is known for, or play in a noble dark version and why? Maybe fluxuating betweem the two between campaigns?
>>
>>46456525
Nobledark. Always nobledark. Grimdarkness has always struck me as singularly pointless; why fight when you can't win? It's like a Special Olympics athlete in competition with a regular Olympics one; no one televises that, for good reason.
>>
>>46449258
Yes, please, then post link.
>>
>>46456525
I don't think it really makes much of a difference at the scale the games are played, much like the tabletop. The whole point of the setting is that victories are either short-lived or ultimately pointless for the Imperium at large, but it's not relevant for the ones you're dealing with, so yes, you can save a hive world from an ork invasion in OW, be a lamenters marine in the deathwatch genuinely happy about stopping dark eldar slavers from destroying life on an agri world, be a rogue trader that firmly believes in expanding the Imperium's borders and spreading the faith, or just stop a cabal from killing a simple girl to stop a ritual that would summon a single demon. You can be nobledark all you like if that's what you want.
>>
>>46456889
i agree with >>46456525. the victories might be important at the level of the PCs - they can experience happiness and feel they've accomplished something/saved the region.

but overall, the empire doesn't change. the empire is so vast, all victories are minor by their very nature.

so like...individual/party level noble dark (e.g. victorious space marines beating back the xenos) but setting/universe level grim dark (e.g. there will always be more xenos...always).

it is like how you can defeat chaos cults all over, but chaos will always exist.
>>
>>46456525
I prefer grimdark, but then again, I'm one of those few that has been following 40k for a long time, realize it's supposed to be a big joke, and I treat it as such.
Even then, it's like what >>46456889 says: for you, your pc, the overarching scale of the setting DOESN'T MATTER. YOU made a difference in that moment, no matter how small.
Humanity has endured a bit longer against the dark due to your actions. That is enough, for me.
>>
>>46456387
What part of shut the fuck up did you miss?
I'm going to get my ass chewed out later for risking it all to save your blind ass, so at least pretend to be grateful.
And if you pee on me, I swear to the Emperor I will chuck you off the railing.
>>
>>46456889
>>46457036
>>46457101
Out of curiosity, how would you handle a somewhat heretical techpriest PC hoping to make new and lasting discoveries, even if they could only affect a small part of the Imperium?
>>
>>46457139
>a somewhat heretical techpriest PC hoping to make new and lasting discoveries, even if they could only affect a small part of the Imperi
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. Idealism is to be beaten out of people as brutally as possible. His new and lasting discoveries will spread and be used by tyrants and monsters to oppress innocent people and make life worse for everyone.
>>
>>46457139
track every NPC that the PC mentions this goal to, gets parts from, etc.

eventually they'll talk to much and then you can send a group of inquisition acolytes after them.

let them do it, they just might have to face imperial justice.
>>
>>46457187
>>46457209
So, there's no reason not to play Black Crusade and fuck everything else?
>>
>>46457139
The same way all discoveries eventually are: used by the handful that know of it, collected by the Admech and either filed away and lost (by accident or on purpose), discovered and denounced with the heretek killed and his works destroyed (just like in real life), or discovered and the Admech spends the next 500-2000 years debating on whether it is kosher by the Omnissiah (for example, it took 3500 years for the Admech to accept the Razorback SM assault transport and the Whirlwind, each being a slightly modified Rhino chassis. Putting a GUN on top of a Rhino took millenia for the Admech to accept. Think about that.)
>>
Is it taboo or accepted for ordinary humans to be named after famous Imperial figures?
Like, would there be normal people walking around named Vulkan, or Roboute, or Malcador? It would definitely be deep heresy to be named after a traitor Primarch, but would parents be able to name their children after their heroes?
>>
>>46457139
New and lasting discoveries can still be achieved, but by people much higher on the chain of command than even the usual PC class, because time means experience and thus they know what they're doing. In short, it wouldn't be him under scrutiny, but his approach to the matter. I'd dare to say that if he found some willing NPC and impressed him enough with his ideas then he could be taken in tutelage and his rash methods better focused, much like an officer in the IG receiving the macharian cross and being promoted to high command, but that could mean losing your PC so I'd rather discuss it with the player.
>>
>>46457216
see
>>46456889
>>46457036
>>46457101
again, and do not mistake winning for being the point.
Even insetting, the powers that know the full scale of what the Imperium face realize it will fall. That doesn't mean they do not fight, because humanity has historically defined itself by tenacity. We, as a species, are survivors, and will scrap to the final breath.
>>
>>46457287
>the powers that know the full scale of what the Imperium face realize it will fall

That's wrong though. They know they're in a fucked position, but most think they'll pull through, either by devotion to the Emperor, or by sheer force of will and overwhelming firepower.
>>
>>46457216
All W40krpgs are simply roads on the path to Black Crusade. Properly played, they guide your players from bright and idealistic beginnings, through crushing failure and disappointment, to disillusionment and misanthropy, finally to the nihilism, narcissism, and freedom that Black Crusade provides.

Your PCs should die heroes, or live long enough to see themselves become the villains.
>>
>>46457238
>>46457276
Ooh, if I do eventually have her go all Black Crusade, I just came up with the perfect revenge upon the AdMech for being so static and regressive: create a Nurglite plague that can infect machines, and spread it through as much of the Mechanicus as possible. Sort of a "Nurgle owns your souls already, so your flesh just needs a small bump" thing.
>>
>>46415582
I'm running DH2E right now. Hypothetically, what kind of gear should 3 PCs be at to not be fucked by a plaguebearer?
>>
>>46457337
That'd be a real twist of the knife, because you're basically replacing the Machine Spirit with Nurgle.
That's, like, laser-guided Mechanicus heresy
>>
>>46457316
That implies that they were ever heroes to begin with. True heroism seems almost impossible to come by in 40K, and it's often hard to see what makes Chaos worse than the Imperium.
>>
>>46457314
Grey Knights codex outright states that the GKs know Chaos will win.
No if or maybe, they will lose, the Imperium will fall.
>>
>>46457353
They should have the sense to run and get someone who actually is able to fight such things, not do it themselves.
>>
>>46457353
What are the PCs roles? If they're majority combat, and they know what their going into, starting gear can handle a Plaguebearer with basic tactics. Consider that it's not hard to get a melee character with a chainsword and Swift Attack hitting for D10+7, or a chainaxe for D10+10, both Tearing. Or a longlas in Overcharge hitting for D10+6, Felling (4) and getting an extra Accurate Dice on every shot.

This is not getting into whether they have backup from locals, explosives, or a psyker. Granted I doubt the Plaguebearer is solo either, nor should it be. No matter what, fighting a daemon should carry the real risk of getting their shit pushed in.
>>
>>46457242
Yes it is very very common for citizens to be named after a Primarch or other heroes of the Imperium. It usually goes with the sectors they live in and what primarch had influence there. No one is named after the traitors and many citizens don't know anything about them since it's heresy to learn about the Arch-enemy unless sanctioned
>>
>>46457353
If they have Snare grenades, they'll be good.
>>
>>46457532
That's the GK though. I'm talking about the vast majority of everyone else.
>>
>>46454420
Yup, it's because it's opposed to order (single arrow, single path).
Interestingly, it means that chaos includes order, not only the alternatives.
>>
So I just found out that one of my player's Rogue Trader has a name that's weirdly similar to a well-known Navigator House, and I know for a fact that he just picked the name at random.
How can I turn plot out of this? I was thinking maybe his ancestor split off from the main House to have a normal life, and somewhere down the line his family managed to get a Warrant of Trade. But they still carry the Navigator Gene, and the House has been trying for generations to bring them back in.
>>
File: blades_quickstart_v6.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
blades_quickstart_v6.pdf
1 B, 486x500
has anyone had experience running a Rogue Trader game NOT using the rogue trader rules? i'm imagining something like Reign or Blades in the Dark would fit really well for some aspects, but neither have any rules for ship-to-ship/space combat. i know ashen stars has simpler rules for space combat than RT, but I'm not sure if more splicing of systems is worth it...
>>
>>46457976
Reminds me a little of the spirit Kaos/Chaos in Discworld.

"Wizards and philosophers had found Chaos, which is Kaos with his hair combed and his tie on, and had found in the epitome of disorder a new order undreamed of. There are different kinds of rules. From the simple comes the complex, and from the complex comes a different kind of simplicity. Chaos is order in a mask...
"Chaos. Not dark, ancient Kaos, left behind by the evolving universe, but new, shiny Chaos, dancing in the heart of everything. The idea was strangely attractive."
>>
>>46457575
we have 2 combat, 1 sage. Guardsman with sword and laspistol + grenades, 1 arbitrator with shock maul and autopistol + grenades.
>>
File: 1327801744127.jpg (208 KB, 729x800) Image search: [Google]
1327801744127.jpg
208 KB, 729x800
>>46458634
They stand no chance unless they have launchers for those grenades and have a good number of them to fire off. 14 soak is a bitch, and the Nauseating trait can give the daemon much needed time to close to melee, since they're Stunned if they fail the Fear test. Make sure to proc the Fear test as soon as they can see the Demon, and if close enough apply the Baneful Presence.

If you want them to stand a chance, build an encounter using the Threat Threshold table, and have it be the cultists conducting the ritual to summon the demon. If they fail to stop the ritual, then the demon shows up and the hard question of whether or not to retreat comes up. Don't be afraid to have it be lethal, as this is probably in the heart of a hidden lair. Look at the GM's Kit adventure for inspiration.

I run a very similar group on Fridays, and my experience with the Threat Threshold is that about 3-4 encounters on the recommended budget and one level above it, will have the group on the ropes. To whit, my group is an AdMech assassin, a techpriest sage, and a Guardswoman warrior. They were fighting gangers armed with shitty SP guns and used poor tactics, befitting gangers. The group is well armed, with 2 longlas guns, a twinlas, and frags aplenty. I almost managed to kill 2 of the three through sheer volume of fire and a few lucky breaks. Make sure to remind them to take cover, the enemies do likewise if savvy enough/being commanded, and make sure the map is scaled appropriate. Most importantly, remember that failures lead to better, and more memorable roleplaying moments than success.
>>
>>46459003
>remember that failures lead to better, and more memorable roleplaying moments than success.
I beg to differ, anon.
Trying circumstances, and the demands of them, lead to better.
Failure means you tried, but did not achieve, and unlike sports, you don't usually have more than one chance to fail.
>>
>>46457133
loldamn. GM already said I have nothing left to excrete anyways. Though I am filthy because they didn't let me go, so I probably smell to high heavens right now.
>>
>>46462337
Just realized something... I'm really going to need a bath after this. Like, a bath before medical attention probably since I'm not in a condition that will worsen on its own.

A bath in a seriously uberfrozen hive where it's so damn cold water rations are given AS ICE.

This will be interesting.
>>
>DM spends around an hour during our session to spend XP for a new character.
>DM is keeping track of the numbers and telling the player to write things down.
>Player somehow expects the DM to be writing into his character sheet, and doesn't put anything down on paper.
>Wasted an hour

Send help
>>
File: Satsuki escaping.gif (2 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
Satsuki escaping.gif
2 MB, 540x304
>>46433735
I hope you packed your retractable toenail blade.
spoiler for minor nsfw
>>
>>46462438
You will likely get a bucket of ice water.
>>
>>46462793
Wait, wait, wut?
The player isn't writing anything down, and expects the GM to keep track of their character for them?
Dude, rope this player down and let'em know the fuck is up, jesus.
>>
>>46462810
Nope. But somehow I have this lockpick still. Can't reach any locks with it though unfortunately.
>>46462820
#IceBucketChallenge
>>
>>46461000
That depends on the objectives the players have, but yeah if it's straight up combat failure is gonna hurt.
>>
I'm making a Weapon Specialist in Only War, any tips?
Regimental favored weapon is a specialized meltagun that is lighter and has extended range, for a total of 30m and 13kg. My current plan is to build into dual-wielding, exploiting the wording of recoil gloves effect to let me wield any basic weapon in one hand once I get ambidextrous+two weapon wielder and gunslinger. Is this dumb/cool/both? Any better gimmick ideas? I have to be a weapon specialist, the party has too many snowflake specialists right now, and the GM wants more dumb grunt spuds.

(the favored regimental weapons weapons are special melta/multi-meltas, special flamer/heavy flamers, and a special lascannon.)
>>
>>46463806
It's dumb and mindnumbingly typical of would-be powergamers.
First, unless you have a Carry Weight bonus of 7+, you won't be strong enough to carry 2 basic weapons, ammo for those basic weapons (at least 3 mags each), mods for your weapons, your melee tool of choice, grenades (5+), any special gear you want to use, AND your assigned kit you must carry with you.
>>
>>46463949

And if GM isn't enforcing weights because it attracts autists like yourself?
>>
>>46464309
Then you're ignoring one of the only downsides of the Meltagun.

Go wild.
>>
>>46464309
>>46463949
Yeah the GM said that he was going to use weight and tasked me with calculating up all the standard kit weight when he stopped me halfway realizing it would be stupid and a huge pain in the ass to micromanage. So says he doesn't care so long as we aren't carrying around multiple heavy weapons or 10 guns and a a hundred magazines for each one. (I think the standard kit added up to about 30kg. I deleted my calculations, and the book doesn't give weight figures for a lot of the things in the kit, so I had to reference equivalents in other rulebooks or guesstimate based on what seemed reasonable. Also important to remember is that the backpack gives you 30kg extra carry weight and a combat harness gives you 15+quickdraw.

And if this was going to be a problem I'd request to switch out my lasgun for a lascarbine, which is 1.5kg lighter, or trade my laspistol to a ratling for some smokes. Also according to the rules knives are 1kg which is retarded.
>>
>>46464309
Then you are asking for abuse of the system.
I did that back when I first started running 40k rpgs, and I had a guy literally running around with 500 rounds of ammo and some 15 grenades, on top of armor and other gear. Everyone was the same, but this guy took it the farthest.
Shit like weight exists for a reason, and using the rules as they are in the book doesn't make someone an "autist", you memeing chump.
>>
>>46464431
That's a big fucking knife.
>>
>>46464431
>>46464462
https://youtu.be/POJtaO2xB_o?t=24s

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Under-Knives-The-Outback/dp/B003VAAY02

At 800g it would round up to 1kg in a simplified game like this. Plus I'd imagine 40k knives to be slightly bigger than the Dundee Knife anyways since they're more combat use and less survival, and in 40k it's slightly more reasonable to openly carry such a weapon.
>>
>>46464601
There is the warknife in hammer of the emperor that weighs 2kg and does 1d5+3. In the same book, there are throwing knifes (which have s/2/- for whatever reason) that do the dame damage, but can be thrown at SBx2m and weigh .5 kg and count as unbalanced when used as a melee weapon.
>>
>>46464601
Alternatively another "Dundee Knife" style blade whose shipping weight is listed at 3.2lbs. I doubt the padding and sheath would weigh more than a pound, and 1kg ~ 2.2lbs
>>
File: baltic war knife.jpg (174 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
baltic war knife.jpg
174 KB, 1200x900
>>46464676
There's your 2kg. That is a 15" long "war knife".

The term "knife" isn't exactly definitive on the size of the weapon. Not to mention the weight guidelines in the book likely include a sheath or scabbard for it.

>inb4 kreigsmesser
>>
>>46464798
Well it isn't explicitly stated that it does. I mean, it is pretty likely that the munitorium would just give a guardsman a knife without something to hold it in.
>>
>>46464676
>(which have s/2/- for whatever reason)
Either holding two in the same hand, drawing as free action to throw two in a standard attack, or two hands (but not counting it as dual-wielding because one hand is simply holding it ready to toss to the primary hand quickly). Unless you get some serious back-asswords autist at the table I'm pretty sure you need 2 knives to use it of course.
>>
>>46464457
Even the default "don't worry about it most of the time" rules in OW say that you should exercise common sense; limiting it to your main weapon, 3-4 clips for it, a secondary weapon and its clip, a couple of grenades, armor, and a few vital marching supplies is what is suggested.
>>
Gonna play dark heresy for the first time also forst time 40k. Thinking tech priest is cool. Are the lumen class traits worth it? Thinking lots of mechadendrites tooo
>>
>>46465478
Which edition?
>>
>>46465478
Anon, I'm gonna say this, on behalf of a lot of gms: Stop playing intensely lore heavy characters when you don't know the shit they are based on.
You want to play a highly devout, religious type, yet you know little of the religion, and all you see is OOH COOL TECH! I don't understand why people new to 40k run to the most difficult archetypes to play FOR new players, but try to play something a little more basic before making an ass of yourself.
>>
>>46465604
To be fair Techpriests get doc ock arms, cool lumen powers and all kinds of other crazy shit. Not surprising that they look cool to newbies. Also it is not so bad as long as the player makes the effort to learn the lore
>>
>>46465558
2e
>>46465604
I'm actually capable of research and talking with my gm about possible roles and he gave me a rather in depth explanation of the lore and the personality of the tech priest
>>
>>46465604
>You want to play a highly devout, religious type
That's advised, but far from the only way to play a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

If you weren't willing to think even slightly outside of the STC, it's likely you wouldn't have been requested by, or assigned to an Inquisitor.
>>
>>46465727
The Luminen talents are fairly decent for surprise attacks. The lack of penetration doesn't really matter that much when you're grabbing an unaware person's head with your electric hands.
Luminen blast is pretty fantastic, as it's 1d10 + WPB*2.
Which can easily get to about 1d10 + 10

Plus they're shocking, and you cannot have them disarmed, which is nice.

Mechadendrites are generally why people play Tech-Priests, from the humble Utility to the beastly Servo-Arn. They're fantastic. Also they look badass.
>>
>>46465604
Fucking this.

In our group we have an iron hands player who does nothing but shove his hands into machinery. His character's finger usb sticks from cybernetics might as well be in his dick
>>
>>46466116
>In our group we have an iron hands player who does nothing but shove his hands into machinery

Send him into a xenos ruin alone.
>>
>>46466116
Is that not in character?
>>
File: Jocasta.png (26 KB, 645x359) Image search: [Google]
Jocasta.png
26 KB, 645x359
Sup guys, I wrote up a Knight house for the game I'm due to run soon which should be fun.

I need to think up a few more, but I wanted to submit this for critique/thoughts/shitposting.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>46467699
Seems all right to me.
>>
>>46426410
>Calls people ignorant
>Hasn't got a clue
Yup, it's a 40k thread.
>>
>>46426410
>>46470352
Not that guy, but let's roll with his line of thinking for just a moment. Let's assume our high-level heretic has around 18 wounds, 5 TB, and termie armor, so 14 AP. That's 15 DR left over after accounting for Pen 4. 4d10 is anywhere from 0 damage after DR, all the way up to 25 damage after DR.

So certainly, one could definitely survive an indirect strike from macrocannon shelling, but you'd be anywhere from 'fairly battered, but fighting on' to 'all kinds of fucked, bro,' even as a high level chaos marine. A direct hit is completely out of the question.
>>
So how do you guys handle chargen regret? Where now the xp cost to do what you want or need is too damn high because
>gameplay has steered your character progression in a direction opposite your aptitudes
or
>you picked the wrong options for what you wanted and have no aptitudes in the direction you want to build
or
>new book came out and has options you definitely would have taken had they existed when you created this character
>>
>>46467635
I told one of the other players he should either be given the choice of making him a techmarine or lobotomized into a servitor. He laughed, i was being serious
>>
>>46467641
He turned a hive heating system into a multi hive hab block meltagun.

He has detonated buildings by jamming his fingers into wall panels. It's hilarious but our iron hands marine is like a five year old with a fork near an electrical socket.
>>
Can anyone recommend something to request with my 14 acquisition checks next session?

We are currently in a manufactured deldar webworld city, having just gambled for the access codes and beaten an archon in a game of high stakes hunting on a death world.

I figure at least two options will be crates of combat drugs, a few more for cybernetics or gene alterations.

I don't need weapons or armour given my usage of a greatblade with a slaaneshi demon bound in it, a chain axe with a hound of khorne bound it it. My armour is made of the skin of a nurgle blessed warp beast I defeated after wrestling it in lifter armour. I'd love to grab a piece of Tzeentch gear to round out his weird chaos undivided vibe.

So what do you recommend? Its a big trading hub, and I am playing an ork kommando. (rogue trader quickly turning into black crusade)

Furthermore, can anyone clarify what level of unnatural toughness orcs ought to have by default when using black crusade or only war rules? Every enemy I've glanced at has unnatural 2-3 and frequently more but my DM has ruled (after removing the doubled unnatural bonus) that orks only get unnatural toughness (1)

He sometimes slips up in regards to his conversions between the separate systems so I was wondering if he has about the right of it?
>>
>>46471977
Ah I know.

Given my orks tendency to the insane, I might petition to fight the deldar champ in the arena.

Last time I did this it was for the location of a proper fight and I ended up in giant robo fisticuffs against a 120 foot long warp entity who was the embodiment of fear on a nurgle claimed death world in archaeotech power-lifter armour.

Now I'm wearing the worm. Figure I can wear a the deldar too.
>>
>>46471977
>>46472049
That's some heretic shit.
I like it.
>>
>>46415582
Can somebody help to create Imperial Stormtrooper character. Not the real one, but as close as one get to on start.
>>
>>46472157
ha thanks. The character is a ton o' fun. Every time we fight he gets knocked down to 0 wounds and almost no further. The first time he got in a fight he fumbled his toss, and took 6 stikk bombs to the face.

He's a rolling disaster but has proven remarkably effective at outsmarting his enemies usin' some brutally kunnin' tactics.

(30 kilo's of explosives strapped to a magnetic grapnel with blessed duct tape, fired at the back of a dreadnought 50m away fighting a devastator)

The crater didn't leave much to loot but the DM's expression was worth it.
>>
>>46472172
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tempestus_Scions

Is this what you're aiming for?
>>
>>46472325
Yes.
>>
>>46472339
Which game are you playing?
>>
>>46472355
Dark Heresy, 2nd edition.
>>
>>46472245
Which system? RT?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.