[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5e General 5eg d&d Dungeons and Dragons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: 1456630238598.jpg (305 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1456630238598.jpg
305 KB, 800x1000
Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Heavy Armour Edition; what style do you prefer? European? Eastern? Is there love for anything else besides plate?..
>>
>>46414975

>memes
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Also 4 sets of plate armor in Death House.
>>
I've always liked European style "heavy armor". In the context of 5e, if you have heavy armor proficiency and plan to wear heavy armor, there's no good reason to wear anything other than plate except for its cost.

I've always liked the way ring mail looks, though.
>>
File: 1458728600764.jpg (20 KB, 329x475) Image search: [Google]
1458728600764.jpg
20 KB, 329x475
>>46414986
At least you didn't make your comment entirely a waste by including the discord link.
>>
>>46414986
Please stop.
>>
Personally I love aesthetics of German gothic-style plate armours, but for adventurers I think a medium armour is a way to go. Something that's not only practical for a traveller, but also shows off the persons' personality.
>>
>>46415056
It's more of a waste with the discord link.
>>
File: 1365684705955.jpg (406 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1365684705955.jpg
406 KB, 1280x1024
How do you use Inspiration in your games? Do you have any homerules for it?
>>
File: 1427853027179.jpg (78 KB, 455x750) Image search: [Google]
1427853027179.jpg
78 KB, 455x750
>>46414975

I fucking love stuff with adorable long skirts like this, especially on men!

Geralt's Heavy Armor in Witcher 3 did things for me.
>>
>>46415122
Basically how it is right out the box. Can give it to other party members, have to declare using inspiration before you roll (but after I tell you to roll), get it for doing cool shit or roleplaying particularly well.
>>
>>46415122
I always want to use it, but I always forget to.
I'm probably going to do the DMG's idea of letting players give it to each other, and every time they do I can give it to an enemy.
>>
File: image.png (66 KB, 1097x619) Image search: [Google]
image.png
66 KB, 1097x619
>>46402675
Change it so they can resist the damage. make the duration 1 minute (no concentration,) make the AC bonus like this

0- +1 to ac
1-10 +5 to ac 1 temporary hit point
11-20 +10 to ac 1 temporary hit point
20-30 +10 to ac, 10 temporary hit points
30-40 +10 to ac, 15 temporary hit points
40-50 +10 to ac, 20 temporary hit points

This way, the spell is a) way more powerful than shield, b) is a double edged sword, c) can be useful to cast on yourself d) risky

I like the optics of the Mage casting it on himself and rolling really high. He's burned his life energy, and is only still standing because of his magical will, and further it's really difficult for enemies to hit him

A level 8 wizard with 14 constitution has exactly 50 hit points.
>>
>>46415090
My nigga. Scale and chain is the best for adventuring men and women.
>>
>>46415155
>I always want to use it, but I always forget to.
My DMs always forget it's a thing too, but I try to remember it. So much so that I have a sticky note taped to my DM screen saying "GIVE OUT INSPIRATION" so I can remember. I usually try to give it out at least once per session, but whether or not that's because I'm forcing myself to or my players meet my criteria often enough I couldn't tell you.
>>
Sorta (very minorly)spoilery and kinda big, but our bard wrote a tale after our group completed deathouse. We all thought it was pretty great.

Twisted trees and fallen bricks
and thickened shadows in betwixt.

Darkness lurks and voices shout,
fear and death lie all about.

Blood and rot fill eyes and nose,
where we walk now not a one knows.

Requests from phantoms small, all lies,
meant to ensure the quester dies.

Corpse and ghost locked up inside,
the two dear minors, scared, do hide.

Spiral down, children behind,
depths and death and beasts to find.

Bloated corpses search for our blood,
while our senses chants all flood.

Abominations and beasts of earth,
of ways to die there is no dearth.

"One must die!" the ghosts demand,
so on their alter we make our stand.

A beast of bone and trash in mound
we killed to find an end profound.

Though traps our vict'ry tried to douse
we each and all survived Death House.
>>
File: 1453908998871.jpg (369 KB, 1183x2100) Image search: [Google]
1453908998871.jpg
369 KB, 1183x2100
What's the best way to balance the Satire Bard from the Kits of Old UA? Tumbling Fool seems to be really excessive.
>>
>>46415613
Require that you take it to 20? Tumbling is stupidly good but it's the only really good thing the subclass gets.
>>
File: e9Zt379.jpg (93 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
e9Zt379.jpg
93 KB, 700x520
>Mfw I take Divination as my Arcane Tradition

Man, portent is fun.
>>
Does anyone have a magic item template? I'm looking to homebrew one but can't find anything like that.

>>46415747
Portent really is a ridiculously good skill.
>>
>>46415122
Stole Steven Lumpkin's system. Let players tell a story from their character's past during a long rest. Other players ask question. The one telling the story and one of the people who asked questions get inspiration. Lets people expose more of their backstories and get a better feeling of where their characters are coming from.

I find it difficult to track it otherwise, and players who always RP really well tend to remain unnoticed in comparison to ones who have occasional bursts of inspiration.
>>
Help me out

College of the Copying

Copy Spell:
if a spell is casted within 30ft radius around
You can use your reaction to copy a spell up to a level you can cast. Replace prepared spell of the same level with copied spell.
Copied spell becomes a bard spell.
Once copied spell is used the slot is depleted and spell is lost.
On at long rest you may discard copied spell for replaced spell.
If a feature, feat or ability is used to alter the spell, you do not gain those benefits, you only gain the base spell.

Copy Class Feature:
You may only copy 1 feature at a time.
When a class feature is used within a 30ft radius around you.
You can use your reaction to copy that feature only if it last at least 1 minute, roll dice, or spend points.
You must spend a Bardic inspiration dice to use Copied feature.
Use spent Bardic inspiration dice in place of other dice.
Once copied feature is used discarded it.
Example:
If you Copied MetaMagic: Extend spell and the Sorcerer spent 3 points.
You Copied Metamagic: Extend Spell with 3 points that you can use up to. You do not copy the spell as well.

Starting at 6th level
Your copy radius for feature and spell becomes 60ft
You can hold two copied feature at the same time.

cannot think of a good lvl 14.
>>
For anyone who runs games on Roll20, how do you manage to not die of boredom filling maps out with doodads and shit? There's like an uncanny valley thing where I feel like I can't get away with "Brief outline of the room and rectangles for furniture" like I would with a white board IRL so going for any attempt at verisimilitude and lived in spaces is so tedious.
>>
File: 1449601995959.jpg (29 KB, 252x291) Image search: [Google]
1449601995959.jpg
29 KB, 252x291
>>46415818
pretty cool idea. Consider it stolen
>>
>Five of the six platinum sellers on the Dungeon Master's Guild are pay what you want
That's actually somewhat heartening.
>>
When going cheeky warlock who likes being more support and blasting when convenient, should I pick the Fey or the GOO patron? I don't think Fiend would work with the flavor of my character, and I like the GOO powerset more, but I feel like Elder Gods n sheeeeit may be a little too heavy for my character.
>>
>>46414975
Anyone think they gave a huge finger to monk players when Sword-singer was released?

I mean: Oh nice magic-martial arts master you got there, it would be a shame if we put out this magic-martial arts master who is also a full caster.

I mean they even got the (10+dex mod+Mental stat mod) AC calculation.

Also, why are monks a Wis based class in the first place?
(just wondering since I'm relatively new to the hobby)
>>
>>46415987
>platinum seller
What?
>>
>>46415927
What the fuck does copy feature even do? You copy the sorcerer's meta magic but don't copy the spell yourself so the metamagic gets applied to the sorcerer's spell twice? Its duration becomes quadruple?
>>
Anyone have the Additional Archetypes homebrew from DMsGuild?

Any good?
>>
>>46416057
I've never played 5e, but hasn't monk always been pretty overpowered? Maybe it was about time they got competition. Maybe I got it wrong though
>>
>>46415246

DM of said party here, he absolutely earned the inspiration for that.

Who knew tactics and debuffs worked so well against the shambling mound.
>>
File: 1446327067955.jpg (46 KB, 900x380) Image search: [Google]
1446327067955.jpg
46 KB, 900x380
>>46416223
Monk was pretty abysmal back in 3.5, and it feels like they've been trying to make the class relevant for a few editions. I'm sure there's exceptions somewhere of people who have been successful with Monk, but if it wasn't homebrewed or multiclassed, I'd be surprised.
>>
>>46416110
I should have explain it better but you copy the feature and can use it for own spells when you want too.
Should have said you gain that exact class feature but once you use it, it is discarded.
>>
>>46415122
I'd like to make it more useful/interesting than it is now but I need to see how the game works when the GM remembers to give it and the players remember to use it.
>>
>>46416358
The only thing monks have going for them is the stunning strike, extra attack and can deflect missiles.
>>
>>46416359
Can it be used on class Features that have less than or equal number of uses as the bard has inspirations? (EX: Action Surge, Channel Divinity) If so, it is way too OP.
>>
>>46415927
Copy Class Feature seems pretty good with Portent, although ironically it gets worse as you level up. Same with Divine Intervention, assuming you pick up some levels in Cleric.
>>
>>46414975
With my players leveling up, if I introduce a supposedly powerful NPC in the campaign, should I also make it a high-level one? If they encounter a, say, powerful paladin as a level 10 party, what level should the NPC be so that it appears relevant and not like a wimp?
>>
>>46416359
>you copy the feature and can use it for own spells when you want too.
So, you get to spend spell slots to use other class features? What are the Bardic Inspiration dice for?
>>
>>46416359
So you copy it, then you gain it and can use it once again? Cleric does a Divine Intervention test so I copy it with my reaction, then on my turn I get to use it again for another of my inspiration dice and we get three shots at Divine Intervention?
>>
>>46416485
Write the NPC's background and purpose first. Make his level relevant to those.
>>
>>46415927
Why did the Sorcerer spend three points on Metamagic: Extend Spell?
>>
>>46416513
Not a spellslot, it is just feature. Like Rage and the like. Bard dice is to add a limit.
>>46416445
Most of the channel divinity options fail all 3 needs, besides I think scared weapon.
Now 2nd wind you can copy since you have to roll dice to heal.
Action surge doesn't cost anything in its self to use.
>>
>>46416612
IDK they wanted mage armor to last 32 hours.
>>
>>46416427

In combat sort of, but Monks do have a myriad of pretty sweet benefis...

Better movement, best saving throw proficiency, Open Hand self healing/Better flurry/Lethal Vibrations, Shadow Monk's cantrip/free spells/teleporting, Way of the Four Elements...uh...theoretically, Greater Invsibility, Astral Projection, Moving up vertical surfaces/across water, as well as having a decent flat AC, Evasion...

I think Monks aren't half bad, really. They won't match the damage of like a crossbow or great weapon fighter but I think they make up for it by having greater out of combat utility and a lot of strong flavorful abilities.
>>
>>46416223
No, just the opposite, monks have always been pretty bad.
>>
>>46416358
>>46416702
ah I see. Maybe we just had an off game, but I recall once, years ago, our monk smashed everything in 3.5. He was probably just lucky then
>>
>>46416551
>Divine Intervention
You gain it and you can use it on your turn.
But considering the dice would be at lvl 10 a 1d10 you have about a 10% chance of making it work. Doesn't seem worth it.

Taking out the copy line realize that has and will cause confusion.
>>
>>46416765
also assume the god wouldn't be too happy about some bard making a call to him either.
>>
>>46416680
Read the fucking book, idiot. That's not how metamagic works. You don't get to dump all your Sorcery points into a spell to apply the same metamagic over and over - and if you could, your homebrew would be fucking broken. Also, Extend Spell can't increase the duration past 24 hours anyway.
>>
>>46416788
Calm down little man.
No need for so much anger.
But you are correct on the point, seem my group has been doing it wrong.
So you get one point with extend spell.
>>
>>46416765
If you're a Bard 3 / Cleric 6 you get to copy Divine Intervention and then need to roll under 6 on a d6 to make it work. Seems pretty fucking good, and a lot better than your friend the 10th level Cleric who has only a 10% chance of passing his Divine Intervention.

Likewise, if you're a Bard 3 / Divination Wizard X you get three (four?) Portents - one on a d6, the other two on a d20. Getting to roll a d6 and store the result for an enemy's saving through seems really powerful too. Bard 3 / Open Hand Monk 17 with an allied Divination Wizard would get to use their d6 Portent with Quivering Palm to instantly kill virtually anything in the MM with one hit.
>>
so does Dispel Magic end the whole area of Forbiddance
>>
>>46416923
I forgot to readd in you cannot copy your own spell and features in the rewrite.
Nor can you copy copied features.
>>
>>46416094
http://www.dmsguild.com/metal.php
>>
>>46414975
>Heavy Armour Edition; what style do you prefer? European? Eastern? Is there love for anything else besides plate?..

High Medieval and Renaissance plate armor is a personal favorite of mine.

That said, I prefer the lorica segmentata or half plate armor.

>>46415205
As true as that may be, I've never really liked the look of maille without some more solid armor over it. Of course, that's probably a little less practical for long-distance travelling.
>>
>>46417019
Okay, you're still a Bard 3 / Cleric 7 in a party with a Cleric 10, or you're a Bard 3 in a party with a Divination Wizard getting to apply your d6 Portent to your enemy's attack rolls or saves.

>>46416914
You haven't even read the PHB yet you're trying to balance an inherently broken homebrew idea? Walk before you can run, mate.
>>
>>46416923
After doing some reading
1. It would appear so thinking I need to add no abilities via patrons or gods since coping those would be kinda broken.
2. Portents I see no issue.
instead of a d20 you are getting a d6.
3. I am not understanding the quivering palm one though, its a con save.
>>
>>46414975
Any tips on how to keep my players in character? I have tried talking to them, and they agree, but whenever they are discussing a moral decision or plan to take on a situation, they start doing it OOC. I don't know if I will come out as annoying if I tall them off each time they do it.
>>
What is the most useful Wizard school talent? Not going by anything else you gain from the school, just that single thing
>>
>>46417165
1. Cutting words does that besides the saving.
On Attack/ Damage/ Ability check.

2. Since that is what this is balancing and see ways I might have missed or maybe combos that might be broken.
Thank you for your input :)

2. I am ignoring you on that point for that is
>>
Are bards combat effective in 5e?
I made one in a recent 3.5 campaign, but I made him almost 100% diplomancer for I M M E R S I O N purposes. Is it worth even trying to make a bard combat effecient?
>>
>>46417322
Actually my old DM was pretty into VTM, so he did a bunch of homebrew in a d&d campain once. One of them being the use of plot points, so if a PC when above and beyond with their ingame character, and could explain his reasoning or so, he could be awarded a plot point.
Sort of gave us incitement to do our absolute best to stay true to our characters.
Carrot on a stick, if you will. I loved it.
>>
Feel like I needed to add this
must have a bard level equal or greater than the copied feature level when it was gained.
A little rough and wordy but Ill smooth it out.
To keep lvl 3 bards from doing quivering palm.
>>
>>46417323
Portent. It's useful for literally anyone.

>>46417337
Yes. You've got the best debuff cantrip in the game, bar none, and you're a jack of all trades besides. Magical Secrets lets you cherry-pick spells from other classes too.

The one thing you're not good at by default is damage, but you can easily overcome that by dipping or building appropriately (GFB shenanigans, Paladin 3 or Warlock 2 instantly come to mind).
>>
>>46417553
>You've got the best debuff cantrip in the game, bar none
Sweet, gonna give it a go when I try out out 5e then
>>
Alright, what the fuck am I reading.

Did someone just attempt to homebrew not only a Bard archetype that allows it to poach a class feature from an ally - bypassing entirely the requirements for multiclassing and allowing it to perform almost as well as any class in their primary field at-will - but cherry-pick MORE THAN ONE class feature, allowing it to MIX AND MATCH MULTIPLE HIGH-LEVEL CLASS FEATURES IN WHATEVER COMBINATION IT WISHES?

Son, on a scale of 1 to 10, ARE YOU FUCKING HIGH?
>>
>>46417638

This is /tg/, of course people are retarded.
>>
>>46417587
Just be ready to a) not pull out massive damage numbers out of your ass, because Vicious Mockery rolls d4s; and, b) seem to not be having much active personal effect on the battle, because of how debuffs work (that is, dicking over enemies so they aren't actually able to do anything effective to react to in the first place).
>>
>>46416761
>>46416702
They were pretty consistent in 4e. Not as good at the damage nova as other strikers but great mobility and Open Palm shenanigans.
>>
>>46417638
What are you reading?
You need to read again.
>>
>>46417729
I'm sorry, please explain to me how that feature doesn't allow a 20th level Bard to simultaneously Rage as a 20th level Barbarian and Wild Shape as a 20th level Druid?
>>
>>46417704
Stone Fist monks were ungodly strong
>>
What gods have you created for your setting? Here's one of mine:

>Pun-Pun
>The Lizard who Flew, the God Ascendant, the Obfuscated Watcher, the Supreme One
>Overdeity
>Symbol: A lizard-headed, human-armed snake creature reaching out to a small kobold
>Home Plane: Prime Material Plane, current residence unknown
>Alignment: Lawful Neutral
>Portfolio: Safeguarding existence, munchkinry, peace through superior firepower, sarrukhs, squirrels, Ice Assassins, kobold wizards, psions, and druids, drowning, Pazuzu
>Worshipers: Those who seek power, regardless of what they want it for
>Cleric Alignments: Any
>Domains: All
>Favored Weapon: Viper familiar

Pun-Pun the God Ascendant is an all-powerful guardian of the cosmos. Once a mere kobold, he discovered the secret to ultimate power in a method lost to history. Well aware of what could happen if he tried to usurp another god's portfolio, he instead decided to gain a portfolio no one had yet ruled: stability of reality itself.

With his truly infinite knowledge, he realized that he, and all other beings in the multiverse, were merely pawns in some even more impossibly vast game. If this game somehow ceased to be played and was forgotten, it would trigger a catastrophe exceeding anything even the demons of the Abyss would cause. He took it upon himself to ensure that the game would not stop being played, and would occasionally tweak how magic worked in his native universe to keep the alien players interested.

Thus, he ensures that nothing is too powerful or too weak. Any calls to Pazuzu he interrupts. He persuades sarrukhs to not let anyone else use the powers he did. He shuts down wish+simulacrum loops and postpones the effects of contagion until 3 failures or saves have accumulated. In everything, he strives for balance.
>>
>>46415927
>Help me out
That brew is beyond help.
>>
>>46417789
So the best most pants on head retarded thing you could think of is a raging CR 6 beast(if they are circle of the moon) at level 20?
Which would cost you two turns to do?

Or else it would a raging cr 1 beast and would be an turn to do.
>>
>>46417885
> DUDE
> MEMES
> MEEEEEEEMES DUUUUUDE
>>
>>46417220
>2 and 3
You copy Portent, rolling a d6. For the rest of the day you may use the result of that d6 to replace the attack roll or saving throw of some creature. Let's suppose for the sake of argument you rolled a 6. Later in that day, a Monk (perhaps yourself) hits some big bad guy with Quivering Palm and then activates it. The target has to take a Con saving throw, so you use Portent to replace whatever they rolled with a 6, virtually guaranteeing that it'll fail its save and die.
>>
>>46417970
Yes, I do, in fact, consider a Bard Moon Druiding just as well as the Moon Druid while Barbarianing just as well as the Barbarian at not just level 20, but ANY FUCKING LEVEL, cause for concern.

Note that the Bard would not just be limited to this alone. He can literally do whatever else the fuck he wants to do, because that's what this feature is. Bladesong? Sure! Quivering Palm with Portent? Sure! Feel like Flurrying with Stunning Strike to make the Monk feel obsolete? Sure!

The Bard is no longer just a Bard. He's any class he wants to be, at the cost of a reaction and Inspiration die.

I do not understand how you think this is at all reasonable.
>>
My main issue with the homebrew that often show up in these threads is how they seem to miss 5e design philosophy by miles
>>
>>46418231
That's because they're from 3.X converts who still don't understand refluffing.
>>
File: Staff of Force.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Staff of Force.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46418231
How's this?
>>
>>46414975
What are the essentials for fleshing out a realistic NPC

goals, general temperament.. what else ?
>>
>>46418128
Have level 2 wizard on group or hell put 2 levels into wizard and rest monk. Same results expect it is d20s instead of d6.
>>
Can you keep someone in place with phantasmal force? or is only damage? It doesn't say it can in the spell, but what if the illusion you create was something like a metal box that is being heated
>>
>>46418292
Can't really comment on the mechanical balance of the enchantment as I don't have a good reference handy for comparison - and magic items are generally all over the place anyway - but what happens if someone remotely breaks the staff, perhaps with one of the Bigby's Hand spells, or an improvised thrown attack against a wall, or positioning it just so on a gap between two rocks and then dropping a boulder on it?
>>
>>46418361
Yeah, except he's wasted two of his Monk levels dipping into Wizard for a single nifty trick, and he's not also a fucking level fucking 20 Bard.
>>
>>46418369
You can do pretty much anything with it. Tie them down with chains, bury them under a pile of boulders...

>>46418370
It was very, very heavily based on the Staff of Power, which is the DMG. All I changed was the spell list. Throwing the staff won't break it, nor will any of those other things. You expressly have to take an action to break it.
>>
>>46418369
>While a target is affected by the spell, the target treats the phantasm as if it were real. The target rationalizes any illogical outcomes from interacting with the phantasm.
You can make the creature think he's bound in place, but he won't actually be bound in place if he tries to move. It's up to the DM to decide whether he rationalizes his unexpected degree of freedom as your chains having some give in them, or them being rusty enough that he could break free by hand.

Basically, your results may vary.
>>
>>46418394
So your problem is at lvl 20. A bard has the potential to kill one creature once with a broken combo that already exist in the game?
>>
>>46418496
The target is forced to rationalize it if they don't save, so even if chains aren't applicable, you could say it's a crack in the floor or something heavy rolled on to their feet or some shit like that. Remember that Illusion spells are only as powerful as your own creativity.
>>
A dirt poor fishing village in deep winter. It's a highly religious village, the only building in decent shape is the temple. The population is almost entirely human, and the nearest major settlement is over a week away.

What are the people like, and what are they up to?
>>
>>46418550
>>46418550
also one in which you would need a monk of open palm and divination wizard in the group so more than likely that ability is already getting abused.
>>
>>46418550
No, my fucking problem is not at level fucking 20.

My problem is at level 5, where your Bard can Monk as well as a Monk; at level 2, where your Bard can Moon Druid as well as a Moon Druid, and can Smite as well as a Paladin /WHILE IN FUCKING BEAST FORM/; at level 3, where your Bard spontaneously masters the same maneuvers the Battle Master Fighter took years to learn with a blink of an eye; at level 11, where your Bard can look at your Barbarian arbitrarily refusing to die and decide to be like him when he grows up.

My problem is at every fucking level, something which you seem to be being deliberately abstruse about.
>>
I'm starting up another fresh session after having to move to the countryside. Managed to meet some people for a first session, but I have one player that just seems like he's going to be a problem before the first session even starts. He wants to make an evil character, which I'm fine with in general as long as he isn't just some 2d twat that just does things because he's evil.

Even when we were going to help create a session 0 to help players get their characters made and give them a good taste of what the realm will be like, this guy starts boasting about his other evil characters he's made where by the sound of his description, explains how he gave the DM terrible frustration over trying to kill, pillage, or make slaves of like anything he saw. I know I'm probably able to handle some of the antics he puts up and I understand I need to show realism in crimes and whatnot, but the whole situation just sort of makes me regret wanting to get back into D&D.

Worst part is that I can't just kick him from the group and continue on, we have like the bare minimum of players, a group of 4 including the dm, and it was kind of already a hassle trying to get something all together in the countryside.
>>
>>46418759
run an all evil group in an overly evil setting (like a party of drow set in the underdark or something)
>>
>>46418759
Give him the logical consequences of his actions. If he wants to be subtly evil and cautiously plan out his nefarious schemes, more power to him. If he goes full Chaotic Stupid murderhobo, have the world react accordingly. The story may revolve partially around him, but the world doesn't.
>>
>>46418749
So the bard somehow has the health of a monk ,speed and hitting power of the monk?

lvl 6(lore) and 10 you can get smites as bard.

A raging bard with more than likely halve the Ac and health of a barbarian?

Guy you are not making a good argument here.
The moon druid thing is a valid point I will give you that.
>>
>>46418788
I mean I guess I could do that, but I already put so much work into doing some realm building and factions for an old campaign me and my buddies were planning on doing before I moved. Like the theme is dark sword and sorcery stuff but I just imagine a murderhobo like that to just try and steamroll through the roleplay and whatnot, and just generally make it a nuisance for me and the other players.
>>
>>46415122
Our DM hands them out at the end of a session for good roleplay. He doesn't allow them to stack but I've heard of that being allowed
>>
File: gincre34.jpg (267 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
gincre34.jpg
267 KB, 736x552
>>46418881
I'm not that anon, but "a class that copies features from other classes" is something I would oppose on principal regardless of balance.

You're making the other characters slightly less special.
>>
>>46415122
I don't use it, but if I did, I would use a variant that worked like:

>an action that aligns with your flaw grants inspiration
>an action that aligns with your ideal can have inspiration spent on it
>you can still only have one

As a side note, I don't allow any of the "I'm greedy" flaws, or the like.
>>
>>46416053
Nah, just run it as Nyarlathotep, the dick-ass trickster elder thing. Being a smug and goofy bastard send entirely his deal.
>>
File: way-of-the-wolo.png (2 MB, 992x1330) Image search: [Google]
way-of-the-wolo.png
2 MB, 992x1330
What are the best homebrew classes that you love to run? I was thinking of using the spirit monk for my next campaign but was really unsure if there were any big problems with it. I never saw any complaints on the forums whenever its posted.
>>
>>46418881
Health does not matter. A Bard takes hits as well as a Bard - unless he poaches a fucking class feature for that. The primary focus is on what the Bard can suddenly pull out of his ass should be feel like it.

>speed and hitting power of the monk?
Yes, at-will.

>lvl 6(lore) and 10 you can get smites as bard.
Yes, and now you can get the class feature at level 2 as well, suddenly matching the Paladin in terms of damage.

>A raging bard with more than likely halve the Ac
No. A Barbarian using unarmored defense will have less AC due to how MAD it is.

This discussion is clearly heading nowhere. Go ahead and institute this homebrew in your games. Best of luck to you.
>>
>>46418719
Afraid of spoogy witch/hag/necrobro in the marshes, who is cursing/poisoning their fishing spots because they tried to kill him/her some years back. Luckily your players happen to wander through.
Basic as fuck trope, though.
>>
>>46418759
Anon, avoid full blown assburgers like the plague. They have no off button, and will only escalate in their mysterious spergfashion, because they think they are being funny.
>>
>>46418139
It also makes very little thematic sense:
> A Druid calls upon the spirits he's communed with for many years, channeling their energy and transforming himself into a mighty beast.
> A nearby bard watches and says "I'll have what he's having."
>>
I had the Animated armor push people down the stairwell for 2d6 falling damage. Am I ThatDM?
>>
>>46419236
yes
>>
>>46419236
Only if you didn't give them a check or save to avoid falling.
>>
>>46418719
They're very interconnected, where everyone knows everyone else and they pool resources together in order to survive the winters. They are longhousing it up in the temple while some people try ice fishing.
>>
>>46419236
I had a similar thing happen, though that's because of what one of them tried to do
>players clustered in the stars
>ranger tries to jump to the third-floor railing to get up and around the armor
>"Roll an Athletics check."
>gets 6 total
>falls 20 feet to the first floor, takes 2d6 falling damage
>>
Any monsters have telekinesis? Like, throwing things via mind or magic? Need it as a baseline for a statblock I'm doing.
>>
>>46419324
Beholders do that, don't they?
Mindflayers too
>>
>>46419234
I agree. I am going to add some cannot copy, wild shape, divinity and the likes, stuff given by gods, patron and the like.
>>46419048
Health doesn't matter?
Welp that all i needed to hear.
>>
>>46419267
Contested Str (Athletics) or Dex (Acrobatics), though they likely had advantage due to the railing behind them, assuming I had not previously pushed another person down already.
>>
>>46419394
Or you could just realize that your idea is shit and no sensible DM would allow it.
>>
>>46419394
>Health doesn't matter?
Yes, you idiot. AC, saves - features that your fucking magic Swiss Army Knife gives you - those matter.

As far as health goes, the last hit point is the only one that matters - as any Bard copying a level 11 Barbarian or a fucking level 1 Shadow Sorcerer will tell you.

There is no theoretically no circumstance that your Bard cannot perform just a little worse than any other class by the simple virtue of being a Bard.
>>
>>46419454
Perfectly sensible. I would not be mad if you did this to me.

Though I would probably try to pull it myself in the future if the opportunity shows itself.
>>
>>46417885
>created
>>
>>46417885
I mean, I'm all for a god of closing arcane loopholes, but invent your own man.
>>
Why is so hard to scary enemies through actions? so I have this fighter, who just the other day killed 5 enemies in one turn, and the other 3 remaining still attacked me, and I not mean only in this system, it seems like in every system ever enemies seem to fight to the bitter end unless you spend a turn rolling "intimidate".
>>
>>46419672
Depends on your DM, friend. Maybe bring that up to him next time.
>>
>>46419672
Because the combat system in DnD actively discourages retreat or surrender as options.
>>
>>46419672
>Why is so hard to scare enemies through actions?
Bad GMs
>>
>>46419672
Because DMs seldom run enemies as intelligent entities who understand such complex concepts as 'tactical retreats' or 'cost-benefit analyses'.
>>
>>46419548
And I would give you inspiration if it accomplished anything. I LOVE it when players use attacks to not deal damage. If only my players didn't act like game was a MMO, or worse a fucking MOBA.

Too often, they demand a map, then go off the map to go around the defenses I drew, because "Lol, there clearly is nothing stopping us."
>>
>>46419525
yup good to know.
someone who has 100 hp is the same as someone who has 25.
>>
>>46419672
You just killed their allies, and you expect them to surrender? These NPCs have lives and experiences outside of your 30 second slaughter of them.
>>
>>46419672
I actually do that when I DM. Like if the enemy is intelligent, say a bunch of bandits or such, I will roll behind my screen every now and then, to see if they bitch out and run away.
Then it's up to the players if they feel like chasing them to get the extra loot and such
>>
>>46419756
Someone with 100 hp and whatever offensive, defensive and healing abilities he fucking wants can indeed kill enemies basically just as well as someone with 25 hp and whatever offensive, defensive and healing abilities he fucking wants.
>>
>>46419757
>Lets go mug this guy
>Holy shit!, he's a beast in 6 fucking seconds he outright killed 5 well armed people without taking a single scratch, you know what?, I'm going to attack him

You know, as a player I've seen two PCs getting instantly killed in the first turn, you know what even my veteran PCs usually do if they can do it? run for their life.
>>
>>46419672
The encounters I saw in LMoP usually had the last straggling survivors break and run, I've generally tried to keep that in mind.

Gives you a reason to stack odds against the players too, they don't have to fight the encounter to its end.

As a fighter, don't forget you can try to intimidate things into surrendering or fleeing, though from memory the base DC for a hostile creature is absurdly high for your probably 0 cha fighter.
>>
>>46419833
As a DM, EVERY SINGLE TIME I have an enemy that fled show up later in the adventure, my players think it's the coolest thing ever. It borderline derails the table while the talk about the random goblin with a scar who recognizes them.
>>
>>46419756
Don't act like a child. HP really doesn't matter that much because HP does nothing in combat except to determine when you're out of it.
Healing magic is just as effective on the low HP character as the high HP character.

AC and saves allow you to invalidate or ignore enemy actions, effectively wasting their turns. Abilities allow you to do pretty much everything, including removing the ability of opponents to do damage to you - usually through disabling or killing them.

Stop ignoring all the reasons why your homebrew is dumb bullshit by focusing in on one statement. Remember how fucked 3.5 was because casters could emulate any other class as effectively (if not more effectively) as the base class? Yeah 5e tried to move away from that so don't bring it back in you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>46419815
Not how it works but alright.
You seem to have this misconception that the guy can just pick from every single character and just choose abilities off the rack.
Not how it works but in your mind that is what it seems. So I am just ending this with you. I do appreciate your input you did give me things to think about and revise.
>>
>>46419868
I would have taken your statement as serious one but your petition for namecalling of all things has dropped my opinion of your post well by alot.
>>
>>46419236
I'd do it with the creature making a shove (roll to hit AC, contested check) then after the player is pushed backwards have them make an acrobatics / dex save / something to not keep tumbling down. If they failed that too, then I'd give them the fall damage.
>>
>>46419938
Why the hell did you even post if you're going to find excuses to ignore everyone who criticizes it? Grow the fuck up.
>>
File: Drac is Back.png (148 KB, 266x259) Image search: [Google]
Drac is Back.png
148 KB, 266x259
>>46415056
>>
File: Rock and Roll Dracula.jpg (24 KB, 347x192) Image search: [Google]
Rock and Roll Dracula.jpg
24 KB, 347x192
>>46419974
>>
>>46414975
Where I can find Bladesinger in that Mega?
>>
>>46419826
Would you chase down the fleeing individuals? Does your party have a record of mercy?>>46419938
Where can I sign this petition?
>>
>>46419970
Grow the fuck up?
Now in my statement did I say I disregarded it entirely? You will see not.
My opinion of it and the writer is abysmal at best because someone who has to namecall isn't someone who's opinion should be highly sought after.
>>
File: Dracula Does Kids At School.jpg (42 KB, 203x414) Image search: [Google]
Dracula Does Kids At School.jpg
42 KB, 203x414
>>46420002
>>
File: 1386489681370.gif (1 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
1386489681370.gif
1 MB, 230x172
>>46420037
>someone who has to namecall isn't someone who's opinion should be highly sought after
>>
A bit of an odd question here:
I've been using 4chan for about 10 years, but I'm relatively new to /tg/.
How does this board take to new QMs doing adventure/gameplay threads? I was in one the other day, and it was comfy as fuck, so I thought about starting my own.
I like to think I'm a decent writer with original ideas, but do you guys have like established trip DMs that usually do this thing? And is it considered natural to just pretype whatever you can?
I don't want to think up a scenario + world and pretype shit, if it's not going to be played, so just want to check first.
>>
>>46419756
> Hurr, he said something that might be silly if I grossly misrepresent it
> Hurr
> I'm going to double down on this for the rest of the thread.
> I can't be wrong if I'm enough of an obstinate fuck
> Hurr hurr hurrrrr
Eat a dick.
>>
>>46418719
The villagers patiently await Fish Catching Day, where the spirit of the legendary hero Augyr appears and breaks through the ice to do battle with the mighty Leviathan, the throes of their struggle hurling fish up through the hole and into the air for the townsfolk to catch with their nets. The shell of a hermit crab caught with ones bare hands is considered a good luck charm that is believed to grant the wearer prophetic dreams.
>>
>>46420113
>as far as health goes, the last hit point is the only one that matters.
>>
File: where do you think we are.jpg (129 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.jpg
129 KB, 1067x800
>>46420037
>posts on 4chan
>expects criticism
>does not expect to be called a faggot
>>
File: 1436531521834.jpg (101 KB, 736x623) Image search: [Google]
1436531521834.jpg
101 KB, 736x623
>DM running Hoard of the Dragon Queen Module
>party running through dungeon
>have no rogue, constantly getting shit on by traps
>eventually get overwhelmed, retreat from dungeon, which wasn't in the module's script so DM sends big bad and TPKs us
The DM was pretty cool until this session. If our party has no rogue, he should've cooled it on the traps (the DM literally said "you guys should've played cleric/mage/fighter/rogue because it works), then our mage got annihilated from a stirge ambush and died, but he didn't reduce the number of enemies from the encounters in the dungeon.
Sure, it's what the module has written down, but DMs aren't there to kill players... they're their to guide them. Right? Or am I just a babby?
>>
>>46415122
I give it out during a session when a player does something really creative or in character. Problem is, my players would hold onto their inspiration and never use it "just in case", so I started giving out "floating inspiration" that goes away at the end of the session (if they already have 1). They actually use these, even though it is the same thing, but with a drawback.

On that thought, my players might be really stupid.
>>
>>46420105
You're in the wrong thread, son. Quest thread general is over at >>46408497.
>>
>>46420243
I think you're right.
DM sounds like a shit
>>
>>46420268
ah, is that where it belongs? I just lurked this thread, and thought I'd ask. My bad
>>
>>46420243
>but DMs aren't there to kill players... they're their to guide them. Right? Or am I just a babby?
The DM won't have to kill you. You'll do that by yourself by making stupid decisions.

Such as not having someone that can disarm traps with you when you go into a dungeon.

I don't know anything about HotDQ, but keep in mind that the NPCs and stuff aren't just gonna sit around and do nothing. If the big bad has a plan or something that will finish up in a few hours time, and you guys leave to take a rest, the big bad might just come out for you. Or if you've been making noise in the dungeon, the inhabitants will know that someone hostile is there and seek them out.

I don't think the DM needs to reduce the number of enemies in the encounter if one of the characters dies. I could see it happening, but it really depends on the reason why the character died (bad rolls? bad decisions on the players' part?).
>>
So with splitting attacks, could a Level 5 Fighter take the attack action, hit something with their sword, drop the sword, draw a bow with their free interact, move and fire it?
>>
>>46420382
Yes. You can also attack, then attack with an offhand, then drop the offhand then do the rest of your attacks with a versatile weapon
>>
>>46420375
>Such as not having someone that can disarm traps with you when you go into a dungeon.
So a player should always be forced into playing a specific class?

As for the guy dying - he rolled a 1 on his saving throw. Also Stirges shit out damage apparently, and he couldn't cast since they appeared on us (two per player) and attached to him before he got an action.

We literally had to flee or else we would've just died later - we had extremely little HP and no spells or cooldowns left.
>>
>>46420243
It's the DM's job to make a world for you to interact with. Beyond that, it comes down to individual DMing style.

In my opinion, the world shouldn't revolve around you, or change to suit your needs. The story revolves around you, but the world doesn't, and complications and failures are also parts of a story.

As much as we give DMs shit for not playing creatures intelligently, your characters should also be intelligent and not approach every challenge like you've only got the one method for solving them too. Encountering something you can't defeat in battle should only be an incentive to think outside of the box.
>>
File: ge-male-fighter.jpg (101 KB, 650x980) Image search: [Google]
ge-male-fighter.jpg
101 KB, 650x980
>>46420549
>your characters should also be intelligent
This is true. We had a ranger whom I told to lead the way and be very careful with where he was looking, but he sort of just said "I go this way", and "I go this way" and he took trap damage often rather than like, looking around.
I was playing an Intelligence 9 Fighter, so I felt like there really wasn't much I could do. My perception score was also awful, so I couldn't exactly keep a look out myself.

On the cool side, I was in the middle of 9 kobolds and lived to tell the tale. Cleaved them down with action surge and cleave battle master ability. It was one of my first times playing DnD, but fighter is absolutely cool. I hear they weren't very good in old editions.
>>
>>46420243
I don't think he should've eased on traps or reduced encounter numbers due to a dead NPC. The players have responsibility to think their way out of a mess too.

Though personally, if they come up with something interesting but highly dangerous I tend to try and give them a more sporting chance. Advantage on a roll just for it being a decent idea.

It does sound like he wasn't very flexible, but I don't know the module or what the big bad would be up to if alerted to an intrusion.
>>
>>46420633
Easing up on traps while not removing them completely is fair, IMO. You're still punished for not having trapfinding while not making the adventure impossible to complete.
>>
>>46420633
>Dead NPC
I meant PC of course
>>
>>46420534
>So a player should always be forced into playing a specific class?
If the only class that can properly detect and disarm traps is the Rogue, then yes, someone should always be a Rogue. It would be monumentally retarded, from the characters' perspective, to not bring someone along who knew how to deal with traps and locks.

However, if you don't have a Rogue (or, in this game, anyone with proficiency in Thieves' Tools), you can't expect there to never be traps. There will be. You need to be able to spot them and find out how to deal with them (without the ability to disarm, this usually means avoiding the trigger area of the trap or setting it off while no one's in danger of getting hit by it).

That's just how things go. I mean, it sounds like you guys just got unlucky or flat out sucked (heh) in combat. Stirges deal an average of 5 damage a turn, assuming they hit. At CR 1/8 a piece, two per each member should have been a challenging fight.
>>
>>46420624
Fighters and especially Rogues are much better compared to some previous editions.
>>
>>46420534
>>46420678
I would like to interject here to note that skilled hirelings are explicitly listed at a cost of 2 gp per day under the Services section in the Equipment chapter of the PHB.
>>
/5eg/. Newbie question; would there be any other way to play a character resembling the dark knight from the FF series, other than Eldritch Knight, or wihout using the shit tier homebrew class of the same name?
>>
Are HeroForge minis worth it? Making one for my wizard seems cool.
>>
>>46420732
I think the next character I'll try will be a Half-Orc archer fighter with champion sub type. It doesn't seem like it'd be the most effective, but it seems like it could be fun to fish for crits.
>>46420678
Those stirges were dealing about 7 per turn. They weren't a problem for me, but since the squishes all had them attached, we had to wait for them to be detached before I could attack and save them. Since it took an entire action to detach a single one, it took a while to clear them out as they sucked blood. Failed concentration checks all around also hurt a lot.
>>46420824
I'll have to remember that.
>>
>>46420824
Yeah, you can totally hire someone to take care of traps and stuff for you. But they're not PCs, and probably shouldn't have PC classes. They probably won't be any good at something like using their Thieves' Tools unless the DM was generous, and even then, the party wouldn't be getting any xp for the traps disarmed by the NPC.
>>
>>46420019
Sword coast
>>
I don't know why but the "College of the Copying" got me thinking. The idea seems fairly defined from the other Bards and like it should get a fair shake.

College of Mimicry
The Bardic College of Mimicry has roots in the ancient oral traditions of countless cultures. Such Bards are able to recite poems and legends that can last for weeks with perfect recall. Such performers are often in sway with the nature of time itself, they can purposefully weave words to deliver speeches that seem to drone on for hours longer than they actually have, or inspire a sense of deja vu for a performance the audience has never seen before.

Encore
When a creature you can see takes the Attack action (Including yourself), you can expend one inspiration die and use your reaction to allow that creature to attack one more time than normal as part of their Attack action.

Mimic Spell
When a nearby creature casts a spell you can expend one bard spell slot of equal level to cast that spell as a reaction. You must be able to see the creature, if the spell contains Somatic components and hear the creature if it contains Verbal components. Material components are not required unless they are consumed by the spell.

Also possibly:
Ventriloquism
You can cast the spell Magic Mouth at will, without expending any spell slots or components. You can only have one Magic Mouth active in this fashion at a time. When you use this feature again, the previous mouth is dispelled.

At level 4, you can cast the spell Tongues on yourself once per day without expending a spell slot.

However Bards seem to get most of their features from the base class, and I think just Encore and Mimic Spell alone are exceptionally strong and scale amazingly. Imagine a barbarian swinging twice with GWM at level 1, or a Fighter with 5 attacks per round. Or getting the enemies into the perfect position for a one-two fireball punch in one turn from your Wizard and Bard.

Feel free to tear to shreds as need be.
>>
>>46420105
Quest threads do not belong on /tg/ please take them to /b/ or /r9k/ or /trash/
>>
>>46420851
After a brief skim of the FF wiki, Paladin?

>>46420890
> They probably won't be any good at something like using their Thieves' Tools
Read the fucking book though.

>Skilled hirelings include anyone hired lo perform a service that involves a proficiency (including weapon,tool, or skill):
>a proficiency (including tool)

> the party wouldn't be getting any xp for the traps disarmed by the NPC.
You don't give XP for the players defeating the challenge of an encounter? Next you'll be telling me you don't give any XP when they avoid a fight by sneaking around it or by running away.
>>
>>46420961
Thank you.
I heard a lot of good things about it.
>>
>>46420851
In 5e there is no way to play a FF style Dark Knight without home brew.
The Eldritch Knight doesn't resemble it other than wearing armour and having magic.
>>
>>46420989
>a proficiency (including tool)
Yeah, great. He's got proficiency in Thieves' Tools. Probably only has a +1 or +2 to his Dex, which comes out to +3 or +4. Good job.

>You don't give XP for the players defeating the challenge of an encounter?
*They* didn't defeat. They paid someone else to do it for them.
>>
>>46420853
Careful with haft weapons and staffs. They bend easily. Otherwise they are super cool.
>>
>>46420851
Bladelock possibly, but I think it strays too far to the caster side of things for a Dark Knight.

A Paladin with a Vengeance Oath and the right god perhaps, since Dark Knights are considered kind of dualist with Paladins, right? I'm just going off of Cecil here.
>>
>>46420851
In general, looking for a video game representation of a class (like FF Dark Knight, or WoW rogue) in DnD isn't going to have any fruitful results.
>>
File: This is a fishing pole.jpg (392 KB, 1591x1584) Image search: [Google]
This is a fishing pole.jpg
392 KB, 1591x1584
>>46421024
>>
>>46421098
Good job anon. Real nice refutation you did there. A+.
>>
>>46421071
Could work; dark knights tend to simply administer justice when the authority wont do it, be it good or bad, based on their beliefs. Their spells come from inner darkness craaaaawliiing iiin my skiiiiin, and not godly influences though
>>
File: FJ0Hfys.jpg (138 KB, 838x638) Image search: [Google]
FJ0Hfys.jpg
138 KB, 838x638
>>46420982
okay
>>
File: drk.png (406 KB, 569x320) Image search: [Google]
drk.png
406 KB, 569x320
>>46421204
>>46421071
Huh. Never noticed this before.
>>
>>46421357
Shit, this will teach me to read the PHB not between the lines or half assedly; time to learn paladin it is, thanks anons
>>
>>46420978
Encore seems like it could be imbalanced? Opportunity attacks exist so trading reactions for attacks isn't intrinsically broken, necessarily, but it may be too easy to do? I can't quite decide whether using your reaction to let an ally attack is an interesting mechanic or if it just encourages unfun support play. Perhaps a more straightforward option of adding the inspiration die to the attack's damage rather than giving an extra attack? Or, rather than have the creature make an extra attack just allow you to make an attack as a reaction whenever an ally hits something?

>Mimic Spell
Getting to cast a spell as a reaction seems inherently broken. Assuming you have a friendly caster in your party it's a bit like getting Action Surge every turn, plus I'm sure there's some ridiculous combos you can do with casting time or by cramming a bunch of spells into a short time. My suggestion for getting that idea across would be basically the guy from earlier's one? Someone casts a spell, you spend your reaction to gain the ability to have that spell prepared, overwriting any previously Mimic'd spells. So, an enemy casts Fireball and you use your reaction to Mimic and then you now have Fireball prepared until you mimic another one. Maybe only allow it cast once?
>>
>>46421024
If they paid somebody to help in combat they'd still get XP (although a lower share), so why wouldn't they get XP for having paid someone to help them outside of combat? It's not like they're just subtracting gp to magically disarm it either; they're finding and negotiating payment for workers, then protecting them from danger whilst they do their job and so on. If you turn hirelings into "You spend gold to beat it and you get less XP" you're DMing wrong IMO. Use the hooks that the players give you to make the game more interesting.
>>
>>46421490
>If you turn hirelings into "You spend gold to beat it and you get less XP"
But that's exactly what you described here:
>If they paid somebody to help in combat they'd still get XP (although a lower share)
And yeah, the entire point of the hireling coming along in this instance is to disarm traps and open up doors. Unless the party participates in this by trying to help spot or figure out how it works, they wouldn't get any xp from it because they didn't participate, same way that if a player parks his character 100 feet away from the battle and watches what happens without doing anything, he won't get any XP for that battle.
>>
>>46421015
What is a FF style Dark Knight compose of?
Based off of just flavor, a Plade of Bact Warlock would work, right?
>>
>>46421590
On FF3/4, Dark Knights are trained on the dark arts, which means using inner negativity, or darkness, to power up your attacks, attract enemy attention, at the cost of part of your life. On FF14, is that, but using aether instead of your life. Pretty edgy indeed.
>>
>>46421572
If you treat a hireling as a character - do you award xp to the whole party when their Rogue disarms a trap, or just to the Rogue, since no one else did anything? How about in combat, for a Cleric or Bard who didn't engage enemies directly, instead hanging back and healing the party? Why should the hireling be treated any differently?

If you treat the hireling as a mechanic - the party has expended resources to acquire a means to defeat an encounter. Though they have not personally defeated the encounter, it does not matter, because the hireling is as much a means to an end as a sword or a shield or a Persuasion check is.
>>
>>46421683
>If you treat a hireling as a character - do you award xp to the whole party when their Rogue disarms a trap, or just to the Rogue, since no one else did anything?
If the Rogue's the one who spotted it, figured out how it worked, and disarmed it, yeah. That bit of xp goes to him since he's the only one involved.

>How about in combat, for a Cleric or Bard who didn't engage enemies directly, instead hanging back and healing the party?
They'd get the same XP as the rest of the party since they're doing something. Don't have to go in and fight directly, but as long as you're helping, you're good.

>Why should the hireling be treated any differently?
He's not.

>the party has expended resources to acquire a means to defeat an encounter. Though they have not personally defeated the encounter, it does not matter, because the hireling is as much a means to an end as a sword or a shield or a Persuasion check is.
Right. The party is spending money for someone else to do stuff for them. They get a flat rate xp for overcoming the obstacle and getting through the dungeon, but they won't get it for the individual tasks that they neglect. Think of it like this. If one of the players is a King and orders his army into battle, he doesn't get a share of the experience from each of the defeated combatants because he expended his resources (his army) to take care of the problem. He would get some xp based on how difficult it is for him to fix the problem (enemy army approaching). If the same King rode into battle alongside his troops, he'd get more xp. If he negotiated a diplomatic solution, he'd get more xp. If he came up with plans and strategies that successfully defeat the enemy, he'd get more xp. If he sits back and lets everyone else take care of it after giving an order, he won't get much.
>>
>>46421783
>That bit of xp goes to him since he's the only one involved.
I see the problem here. We award experience differently. I would award experience to the entire party upon overcoming a challenge, because nothing sucks more than being a lower level than the rest of your party.

Your method is also valid, but I'd worry that you'd quickly find jack-of-all-trades characters whose abilities are more widely applicable, like the Rogue and Bard and some casters, pushing ahead of the rest of the more combat-focused classes, meaning that those characters become even more obsolete out of combat, and have even less chance to catch up.
>>
>>46421783
>If he sits back and lets everyone else take care of it
If that's what getting hirelings into a dungeon to disarm traps is like in your game I feel sorry for your players.
>>
>>46421357
I've never actually looked at these before. They sound pretty good for edgy Dark Knights. Hunter's Mark and Enmity sound like a real bad day for a boss.

>*Misty Steps behind you*
>Nothing personnel kid
>>
>>46421952
Still not on the level of Shadow Monks, who actually get bonuses to attack when teleporting behind someone.
>>
>>46421905
I award individual xp for everything the characters are involved with based on the difficulty of what they're doing, and I give xp for roleplaying (I know it's a catch-all term, but if there's anything that really strikes me as them really getting into character, I like to reward that). There's some disparity in the xp amounts, but most of my players remain around the same level as the rest of the group.

However, even when it comes to traps, the entire party is working towards it. One guy spots the trap with his Perception, the other figures out how the trap works and what would happen if it was set off with Investigation, the entire party deliberates on how to handle it, and then they (maybe, depends) send the guy with Thieves' Tools in to disarm it. Usually by hiding behind a big shield and whispering humorous encouragement. Very rarely is anyone doing anything solely on their own.

>>46421906
I don't know what you mean by that. If my players had a hireling for Thieves' Tools, it would go down like how I described it above. If the players walked up to a door, patted the NPC on the back, told him to get to work, and then walked off to go play cards, I would feel sorry for the DM.
>>
>>46416358
Nothing beats 1e monks. Straight up jedi, yo.
>>
>>46420624
Cleave isn't a BM maneuver
>>
>>46422416
I assume he means sweeping attack.
>>
>Attempting to disable traps no longer requires specific training or class features
That's a relief.
>>
>>46422450
Just proficiency in Thieves' Tools. You can pick that up via background or downtime training (though it takes forever if you go by the book).
>>
>>46420678

At level 1 a Wizard probably isn't even going to have 10 HP.
>>
>>46422549
Right, so if the Stirges got the jump on the Wizard, he's probably going down. The Stirges still have to hit (with a +5), and their damage is 1d4+3. Very good offense for a CR1/8 creature, but they have 2 hp. The wizard could melee attack one and probably kill it if he hits.
>>
>>46421357
On that topic, what kind of actions would a paladin not be able to do? I know that they follow a code, or their own code, but how does that limit them, i do not know.

I ask because i dont want to lose my powers by defending my pc party of chaotic neutrals
>>
>>46422482
Where does it say that? From what I've read in the PHB Thieves' Tools let you add your prof bonus to the check, and while that certainly makes it easier I don't see anything that prohibits any character from at least trying like in 3e.
>>
>>46422634
Read the specific oath you picked, and then talk it over with the GM. It's a GM thing, mostly.
>>
File: scale-armor[1].jpg (30 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
scale-armor[1].jpg
30 KB, 250x375
>>46414975
>Is there love for anything else besides plate?
I love me some goddamn scale mail.
>>
>>46422634
Depends on your Oath, so check that first.

>>46422655
Kind of hidden (and it applies to locks, not traps, sorry), but page 175 of the PHB, at the very bottom under "Working Together".
>For example, trying to open a lock requires proficiency with thieves' tools.
>>
File: Players improvise lore.jpg (85 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Players improvise lore.jpg
85 KB, 960x540
>>46421357
>>
File: Richter.Belmont.full.293096.jpg (3 MB, 4166x3012) Image search: [Google]
Richter.Belmont.full.293096.jpg
3 MB, 4166x3012
Do you guys think a DEX-based Vengeance Paladin would work? I wanna make a Richtor/Simon Belmont kind of character that specializes in hunting unholy monsters with whips, crossbows and rapiers.
>>
>>46423008
It would not be as optimal as a Str-based Paladin, but there's no reason it wouldn't be viable.

Remember that you can't Smite with ranged weapon attacks, though.
>>
>>46422623

Yeah, but it's possible for him to go down and die before he has a chance to react, if he's REALLY unlucky.
>>
File: Dual Whip Blood Hunter (Dex).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dual Whip Blood Hunter (Dex).pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46423008
Probably. I made a mock-up character for Blood Hunter that looks like it would do well.

I did it for level 1, 5, 10, and 16, but only saved the level 16 version. Maybe this'll give you some ideas (been a long time since I've looked at this, so lot of it's probably wrong).
>>
>>46423008
A Belmont is exactly what I want to do if someone runs Ravenloft locally.
>>
>>46423008
>tfw no 1d6 whip
>>
>>46423029
Does that depend on the Smite? There are a few Smites that go off on a "weapon attack" on the spell list like Branding Smite and Banishing Smite.
>>
>>46423209
"Smite" refers to Divine Smite, the feature. The spells are spells.
>>
>>46422722
Taking another look myself it also mentions in the description of tools that they are for things you normally cannot do and picking locks is one of the examples. I think I'll be houseruling otherwise in my own games but it's certainly good to know for when I'm playing in someone else's.
>>
>Joining a game at level 5
>Want to play a rogue with the intention of going rogue 16/warlock 4
Should I go rogue 4/warlock 1 to get the feat and access to my archetype? Or should I go rogue 2/warlock 3 so I can start out with my imp?
>>
>>46423238
I usually rule that unless you have proficiency in the tool, you can't do anything that would require the use of the tool.
>>
>>46423234
So Smites don't can't as spells but an extension of the class feature? I just figured they work as spells because they take a spell slot if you want to do anything more than a typical Divine Smite?
>>
>>46422054
>I don't know what you mean by that
Okay, so first you need to find somebody capable of disarming traps. Thieves Tools proficiency implies somebody involved in less than legal work so you probably can't just walk into a shop and hire someone. Next, you've got to convince them to come do dangerous work. You could probably throw money at them to some extent here (the hireling fees are lower bounds, not an objective cost) but it's certainly not going to be a simple process. Then, you have to get them safely inside and to the trap (all the while having plenty of roleplay opportunities to develop the world and so on) and defend them whilst they work.

That's a far cry from "Sit back and let everyone else take care of it"
>>
>>46423298
The term "Smite" refers to the Paladin class feature Divine Smite that lets you spend spell slots on a melee weapon attack that hits to deal extra damage.

There are also spells with the word "smite" in their name but they are a separate mechanic and generally not what is meant when somebody refers to "smite".
>>
>>46423298
You have the divine smite class feature that lets you expend spell slots and you have smite spells from the paladin spell list.

Divine Smite does not count as a spell and requires neither an action or concentration. They are applied after the attack is declared as a hit or miss.

Smite spells require a bonus action as well as concentration and apply to the next hit.

>>46423351
this basically
>>
>>46423298
No, WotC decided to be confusing and have a Paladin class feature called Divine Smite, AND have a series of spells available only to the Paladin all named [Something] Smite.

Generally, when discussing character building and optimization, 'Smite' without further elaboration will refer to the class feature.
>>
>>46423266
>I cook myself some food on the campfire
>Nope, sorry bro, you don't have proficiency so you can't use kitchen utensils.
>>
>>46423319
Yeah, totally. And they get xp for solving the problem, but not as much as if they were the ones actively disarming the trap.

Also, what's with this "roleplay opportunities to develop the world" you keep talking about? That's completely irrelevant.
>>
>>46423391
If it would require a roll for you to cook, and you're using specially crafted Artisan's Tools meant for cooking? Yeah, your character doesn't know what he's doing and just cooks the dead bird over the open fire.
>>
>>46423478
>you keep talking about?
I don't recall having mentioned it before.
>That's completely irrelevant.
If the difference between having NPCs interact with the players and share banter, build verisimilitude, etc vs them just being mindless automatons that walk up, do a job and then leave without having any character is "completely irrelevant" to how you run your game then I really do feel sorry for your players.
>>
>>46423503
>If it would require a roll for you to cook
That's very different from "You can't do anything involving that would require the use of those tools".

For example, chopping some tomatoes in half or toasting bread in a toaster or making a cup of tea or whatever wouldn't require a roll to cook but would certainly require the use of cooking utensils.
>>
>>46423617
The NPCs interacting with the players has nothing to do with the players hiring the NPC to do a job. In terms of the xp, if the players don't help the NPC when disarming the trap or picking locks, they don't get individual xp for it.

NPC interaction is entirely and completely irrelevant to the xp discussion at hand. Don't jump into the discussion when you can't even be bothered to focus on it.
>>
>>46423667
>For example, chopping some tomatoes in half or toasting bread in a toaster or making a cup of tea or whatever wouldn't require a roll to cook but would certainly require the use of cooking utensils.
Sure. But Cook's Utensils are Artisan's Tools, which are used in a "craft", meaning a job. You can use utensils to do those things, but those utensils aren't the Cook's Utensils.
>>
>>46423667
I'd classify that as "equipment" rather than specialist tools.
>>
>>46423250
Anyone?
>>
>>46423667
>>46423702
In fact, a knife and fork would be something included in the Mess Kit. Which isn't a tool.
>>
>>46423763
I would recommend going Rogue 4, not only for the archetype, but also for the ASI. It's good that you plan on Warlock 4, since that would let you get the ASI as well.

If it were me, I would go Rogue 4, Warlock 4, then Rogue x.
>>
>>46423763
Identify yourself as a rogue first.

Then take your level in Warlock.
>>
>>46414975
What tattoos would the criminals in your game get?

Chains?
Skulls?
>>
>>46423250
personally i'd go 4/1

it also raises your saves drastically from profiency in 2 to 4
>>
>>46424027
You don't get the saves of other classes when you multiclass.
>>
>>46424049
whoops

well i've got some bad news for my players tommorow..
>>
Does anyone have that "trust nobody not even your elf" picture? I need it for reasons.
>>
>>46418719
The people are dressed in leather and thick furs, walking the streets with bowed heads, and viewing outsiders with hostility. Each citizen is trained, equipped, and fit for battle, several times again more combat-capable than a standard peasant, despite being a peaceful people who mostly just fish.

They intend to sacrifice the beautiful daughter of the chieftain to the local geyser, to cause the geyser to erupt, which they believe represents the geyser's marriage to the girl and necessary for another generation of peace.
>>
So what happened to clerics this edition? I hear that half their toys were torn out and you basically have to go Paladin if you want to be a divine frontliner now.
>>
File: 1458890423128-1.png (8 KB, 230x195) Image search: [Google]
1458890423128-1.png
8 KB, 230x195
>>46424027
>>46424108
Why does nobody read the book
>>
What do you want to see in PHB2?

>crafting/downtime expanded
>tools giving a fucking purpose
>...?
>>
>>46424313
>mystic
>ranger not being shit

Speaking of Mystic, charsheet anon do you think you could incorporate it into your mega?
>>
>>46424313
>crafting expanded
ALCHEMY
PLEASE
>>
>>46424313
>Some goddamn options for druids
>Rangers that aren't trash
>Elemental cleric domains
>Complete mystic
>a few more feats
>More spells
>>
>>46424387
>Some goddamn options for druids

this. please for cryin out loud wizrad
>>
>>46424313
WARLOCK INVOCATIONS
WE'VE HAD LITERALLY NONE
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.