[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Force of Will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5
File: 435.jpg (362 KB, 913x1500) Image search: [Google]
435.jpg
362 KB, 913x1500
Of all the starter decks, which one of them in FoW is the best to start with/has the best cards outside of their use in the starter?
>>
File: rysuk_zps5416092f[1].jpg (68 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
rysuk_zps5416092f[1].jpg
68 KB, 960x768
>Calling characters "Resonators"
>stats for characters are multiples of 1000

That's how you know you got tricked into playing a poorly designed weeb game.
>>
>>46413672
But I like it?
>>
>>46413817
You only like it because it makes your pedo dick hard.
>>
>>46413922
But I use Faria
>>
>>46413512
Mechanically it seems sound, if a bit silly (what with things having so many extra zeroes tacked on), but goddamn that art is weeb as fuck, and that's coming from someone who likes anime.
>>
>>46414254
>(what with things having so many extra zeroes tacked on),

It's mainly a Japanese thing, but it basically feels the same as MTG in terms of game time/flow.
>>
>>46414254
>>46414306
pretty much this for the numbers. Someone compared it to dollars versus yen at some point. $1 is essentially equivalent to 100 yen.

The art is a pretty weeb but there are a lot worse out there.

As far as the game goes, it's pretty solid. They need to work on a few things such as general balance when it comes to rulers and how some abilities work mechanically, but other than that it's pretty fun.
>>
>>46414789
>They need to work on a few things such as general balance when it comes to rulers and how some abilities work mechanically

Yeah, this. There's some moments in a tournament where you might need a second to figure out how the order of things will go, but It's getting better as time goes on.
>>
>>46413512
For beginners most of the starter decks are pretty straightforward. Pricia and Rezzard are a little weird in their gimmicks, and Machina really really likes using his abilities if that's something you're not used to, but they're all fairly simple to learn. I started with Valentina.

As for the best cards, Excalibur and Laevateinn are both super fucking good and the Faria/Melgis dual pack comes with 4 of each. Machina comes with Marybell which is a really nice Regalia for decks that use your J-Ruler a lot, and he also comes with 4 Flame King's Shout which is a fucking incredible spell for red aggro.

I don't remember Valentina having anything especially spectacular outside of her Regalia, and Pricia's cards are all tailored around Pricia's specific God Art gimmick so she's not really that useful for future builds other than herself. Arla and Rezzard are both really really solid with Arla being one of the better ones.

Overall I'd say Faria/Melgis is the best value and most useful for later on, but it really depends on what type of deck you're looking to make later.

Personally Valentina and Machina are my favorites, but Machina is kind of not great until you pick up some TMS and pull some Marybell resonators and The Earth.
>>
>>46414254
>what with things having so many extra zeroes tacked on
It makes it easier for new players to tell the types of numbers apart.
>>
>>46414921
>TMS
What's that? Machina is basically the only one of the starter decks around me that I can find asides and a seemingly endless supply of Valentina ones.
>>
>>46415330
The Moonlit Savior, it's the newest set.
>>
>>46415385
Do you know if coretcg is a decent place to buy booster boxes from, or does anyone know for that matter? They seem to have decent prices for them, and my local shop is a bit too pricey for boxes of the FoW cards (105-130).
>>
>>46415330
TMS is The Moonlit Savior, the newest set. It's got a really really powerful new colorless Resonator and a 1 cost Addition that gives a colorless resonator +600/+600. It's got a little something for everyone and some new rulers and stuff for them, but I think Machina gets the biggest buff between Marybell, Magic Screw, The Earth letting him use his ability costs for virtually free, and considering how not-good he was before.

I still don't think he's anywhere near one of the better Rulers, but I think he's really fun and TMS made him a lot better than he used to be. Also giant robots are rad as fuck.
>>
>>46415432
I'm trying to build a Knights of the Round Table deck, but I can't figure out which Ruler to match with them right now other than sticking with Blazer at the moment. Don't have too many Rulers are the moment, so I'm looking at picking a few up at some point soon.
>>
Not op but are there any cards worth it in the Valhalla and Grimm blocks? I got two of the starters from that set but I heard they're not balanced.
>>
>>46413512
>Force of Meme

There's literally no good reason to play this game.
>>
>>46416036
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>46413938
ur waifu isn't is bad its just under powered
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 321x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 321x450
>>46413512
play the superior waifu tcg
>>
Sylvia is my main like blowing people up with splits
>>
>>46416408
Yeah, a bit. But I'm fairly new to the game, and she's pretty fun to use.
>>
>want to give the game a chance
>no one on octgn plays it
>>
>>46416818
You can try untap.in. That has a few FoW games among the sea of MtG games.
>>
>15-30ish people play FoW
>only 2-7 ever show up for Tournaments

I don't even know what to do with this anymore. End up having to call the Tournaments off and just give out the promos/booster for entry and just have open play for the duration. Doesn't seem to matter when we move it to, but just doesn't seem like the ones buying the cards from us ever want to show up for the weekly bits.
>>
>>46416921
Look i hate to say this but, none of those ppl buy FoW for the game. Depending on the FoW clientele at your shop IE they are mostly socially awkward, fat, smelly autistic neckbeard weebs from what it sounds like they are buy this game for an entirely different reason fapping to the cards most likely, or in the case of "Savvy" ones, fucking speculating on a game that clearly doesnt have longevity due to explosive power creep every 3 months. I would not bother trying to run tourneys for FoW unless the buyers in your shop actually turn out in force for it.
>>
>>46417031
>IE they are mostly socially awkward, fat, smelly autistic neckbeard weebs from what it sounds like
Not all of them, a few of them actually smell like they shower at least weekly. Kidding. But really, from what I've asked the few that come here and play throughout the week in the room is that our times just don't work for them and those that don't work a typical 6-5, since our Tournaments start at 6pm on Saturday.

I've thought about moving it to another time to see if I can grab at least 2-5 of the others that'd be able to make it on a Sunday or so after 3-4, but it'd just create a gap with the other 2-7. I honestly want to keep the FoW weekly going since it's basically MTG play every day of the week, and I'm not kidding about it. I've become a bit burned out about running/helping run the MTG events with that amount of people that I just passed on helping unless absolutely necessary and started this group awhile back.

Doesn't help we're maybe the only shop in the area that actually gives a shit about FoW, so that's really why I don't want it to stop. There's no pressure to from the management, but I'm just racking my brain to think of ways to draw in more people. Might just have to offer more incentives for people to make the times we've set up, move the times, or just both.
>>
>>46416101
Where to start?
>Every three months a card comes out the breaks the meta game all over again.
Baha-Blast and R/R being by far the worst offenders of this ofc.
>Tons of rules changes all over the fucking place.
Seriously they have added/removed/majorly altered at least 10 different mechanics in the first 2 years of their game. This makes for a rather poorly balanced game if you keep fucking with it.

But those are just the minor complaints, here is the most damming one of all. It literally a reskined MtG with anime waifus in it. This makes it literally not worth buying into unless you cannot afford MtG, but then you have other well established card games like Pokemon/YGO that offer some security vs just collapsing. Look at what happened to the original WoW TCG after they abandoned it. No one plays that anymore and the cards that were worth $100s are now fucking maybe $10 if im being generous. So why would i want to take a chance of having wasted my money for something that i dont know if it will last (i can easily see why it would not) over something that has kept going for 20+ years, which is an amazing track record among CCGs.
>>
>>46417239
MTG is the WoW of Trading Card Games.
>>
>>46417662
Well then here is the question since you are comparing the two, would you rather play WoW or ESO if you played MMORPGs?
>>
>>46417662
Started out legitimately good, defined the market to the point where all other games of its type became clones of it, and slowly fell into shit as time went on, especially after its parent company got bought out by satan?

Eh, seems about right.
>>
>>46417683
Hey now, comparing FoW to ESO is unfair, because ESO was shitting on something that already existed (Elder Scrolls).

It'd be more fair to compare FoW to a korean MMO.
>>
>>46417840
Well then same question would rather play the Grinder MMO or WoW?
>>
can we go one fow thread without some sperg coming in and telling us were having fun wrong and that mtg/yu hi oh/pokemon is better?
>>
>>46417683
I'd rather play anything other than WoW at this point. It's a game I pop onto every now and again just to be disappointed by the shitty content quality, and the fedora wearing / LOLSONERDY shit stains that make up its fandom. It also has the added insult of being far more fucking expensive than any other game just because it's the most famous.

So yes. It's exactly like magic to me.
>>
File: 1d1.jpg (44 KB, 680x465) Image search: [Google]
1d1.jpg
44 KB, 680x465
>>46416921
This shit pisses me off.
>store tries to start a tournament scene
>people actually attend
>high numbers
>high variance
>numbers dwindle after Bahamut
>still a small, dedicated crowd
>people from that crowd stop showing up as often
>tournaments aren't even guaranteed to start weekly
>"This game is so fucking dead here."
>DUDE NO DONT BE NEGATIVE, IT'S SO HUGE NOW MAN LOL
We've had two whole weeks of tournaments happening, but I know we're going to hit that week where 3 fucking people show up.
>>
>>46417683
How is FoW ESO? The main point being I've actually had fun playing FoW, yet ESO is devoid of anything remotely fun to do.
>>
>>46419028

Too bad MTG still costs more.
>>
>>46419231
By far the biggest obstacle to new tcgs. One bad meta can run the game into the ground. Going purely off of /tg/ and how long they survive, FoW has hit a really hard decline after Bahamut, as no one wants to join in the middle of a shit meta, and once the meta has passed, people have moved on. It's going to be an uphill battle for FoW to hang in there, I think.
>>
>>46420016
Because it clones MtG. But ok then, is there a different MMO that is a WoW clone that is fun? Because there is your comparison.

>>46420997
Its not JUST fallout from 3 months of Baha-rape, they KEEP fucking printing busted shit, i mean how is it a good idea to print something like R/R EVER?!?!?!! Its a Jace the wallet sculptor that you start the game in play with that can flip into doing even MORE broken shit. Whose bright fucking idea was it to print this?

>>46419231
Max tourney attendance ive had after Baha killed the meta was like 6-7, we dont have tourneys every week at all.
>>
>>46420997

Which is why I'm trying my best to keep the Tournaments running each week, and making sure to talk to those that come up and pick up packs/decks/boxes and so on. Honestly, going to probably kick up the incentives to join so it'll maybe make the decision to join a tad bit easier, but I won't know for a bit if it'll work out. Still need to mention this to the Manager, but I'm planning on using my own funding for that. Even if it is basically Magic, it still hasn't stressed me out to the point of just retiring altogether from play like that did years ago.
>>
>>46413672
>stats for characters are multiples of 1000
To be honest while I dislike purely from aesthetic reasons... that can show difference of power better.
>>
>>46421476
>>46413672
How do people not realize this is because Japan has a base 100 system? Of course they're going to use 100s to represent numbers.

The reason Magic uses 1s is because we use a base 1 system.
>>
>>46421537
Here is the thing though, from what i have read the game is stillborn in Japan. And pretty much everything they have done to fix this has not worked. And also from what i have read America is where most of their product is sold. So at this point the 100s thing does not matter, when an Amerifat looks at the cards and sees 100s on them he is going to associate the game with shit like Pokemon and YGO not magic, and from how the YGO crowd at my store reacted when the game came out until now none of the YGO ppl still play FoW anymore in spite of it attracting like 2/3s of them at first, the mana system scared them off mostly that seems to be a pretty fickle market.So now it is competing with MtG alone for its player base around here at least, well that and the few guys that move from popular weeb CCG to popular weeb CCG. Then the question to MtG players becomes:
>"Why should i play this when im already invested in MtG? Plus it looks like fucking YGO, ugh fuck that noise."
So there is the things the game has to out compete externally. When you have fucking cards that break the meta in half over and over again internally, ppl aren't going to like that a lot.
>>
>>46421697
People still play MTG and Yugioh for the same reason people still play WoW, they've put too much time into it to just drop it.
>>
>>46421752
Well yeah thats what im getting at. In order to overcome the sunk cost fallacy, you have to make a product so awesome and amazing that it become the new thing to sink costs into. FoW doesn't do that for anyone, its just an MtG clone with a few rules differences and a meta that break apart every so often.
>>
>>46421812
You really think that FoW, even with more balanced and inviting gameplay, would ever be enough to drag people away from a game they've been playing since the 90's? The art style alone is enough to turn them off from it.
>>
>>46421854
No thats what im saying, it isnt.
>>
>>46421899
Still, I've had more fun with FoW over the past few months than I did in quite awhile with MTG. The fact I can sit and play set after set and not even get angry/upset/etc with losing, even badly, made me realize how much I enjoy this. And that's the funny part, it's not even that much different from MTG asides some bits here and there.
>>
>>46422658
Well then here is a question or a few.
1. Why did you find MtG boring?
2. Whom do you play against in FoW? It is the same ppl as you did in MtG?
3. When was the last time you played MtG? How long was the gap?
>>
My card shop is trying to push the shit out of this. Is it any good or is it just hot weeaboo garbage?
>>
>>46422701
>1. Why did you find MtG boring?
Having to play catch up to maintain in modern tournaments/having to use the same static decks all the time. Also, terrible draws with mana, but we don't talk about that.

>2. Whom do you play against in FoW? It is the same ppl as you did in MtG?
Friends got me into it, and I played them at first pretty much. They played MTG with me for the longest time, but we all generally stopped around 2010/2011 from competing in really anything. As for the tournaments I've been to? It's really no one I'm all that familiar with, at least at first. There's a few that cross over into MTG, but a decent bulk of the small base we have are also 40k players as well.

>3. When was the last time you played MtG? How long was the gap?
Like I mentioned, it's been since around 2010/2011 since I've stopped playing and just hit a point where I just didn't feel like 'keeping' up anymore. I don't even hate MTG, I just didn't have fun with it anymore.
>>
>>46422844
Hate to say it friend but the way this game is shaping up your going to go through the same cycle but even faster this time around.
>>
>>46413672
Wizards of the Coast holds the copyright on small numbers. Not even joking here.
>>
>>46422995
It's helping that I'm taking a different approach to deck building and other such things compared to MTG. I'm not shooting for the stars with what I build, nor do I try and build the most competitive comp I can. I'm just going in it for fun, and it seems to be working so far.
>>
>>46422780
Mana is a separate deck of 10-20 cards. Rulers are somewhat reminiscent of commanders. Some elements of ygo added in.

If you're tossing the term weeaboo around loosely then you probably wont warm up to the game very quickly. I recommend keeping with something you enjoy.
>>
http://force-of-will.tappedout.net/decks/rezzard-1/

Rate it, mates. Deck takes 4 Cthugas to the face turn one then grinds the win out anyway.
>Site thinks Black Moon's Memoria is a spell

Heh.
>>
>>46423256
>Mana is a separate deck of 10-20 cards
This is one of the reasons I do like this game.
>>
>>46423404
>He thinks mana screw doesn't exist!
Enjoy either 1) getting a stone that doesn't make the mana you need or 2) restricting your deckbuilding options to compensate for imperfect mana.
>>
>>46423443
there's another name for that and is called color screw, and even with that you can still play stuff.
>>
>>46423516
>even with that you can still play stuff
You could use the exact same reasoning to justify the existence of mana screw in Magic.
>>
>>46423443
It's okay, I'm having fun with FoW.
>>
>>46423126
Well then here is one more question, did you start before or after Bahamut?
>>
>>46424015
>Well then here is one more question, did you start before or after Bahamut?
I started about three months ago now.
>>
>>46424074
Ah i see then so you haven't been tier zero'ed yet in this game. Fair enough enjoy the game while you can.
>>
>>46424111
>tier zero'ed
If that's code for being destroyed, then I have. But I really don't mind honestly, and it's kind of amusing to see how far I can get with my terribly built decks against the top ones at the moment.
>>
>>46424173
No what i mean is you have played in a meta where there is only one deck that does one thing and it murders everything else. Basically why i asked if you played when Bahamut was god-king of the game.
>>
So is it worth buying a box of The Moonlight Savior?
>>
>>46424372
As a starting point? No. But it's a good set.
>>
>>46424372
do you wanna build one of the new rulers? if so sure if not. maybe theirs good value in it millennium of ages it is not. depends what you want
>>
I want to fuck Piruruk.
>>
>>46414254

It is pretty weeb. I wish she was doing something other than...posing enthusiastically. I think that's the part that really takes me out of the art.
>>
>>46426151
who is piruuk and why do people keep saying this?
>>
>>46415432
The earth can't be used for machina's tutor ability. It specifies J/resonators only and the ruling even says you can't. If you use the guy from vingolf that says pay 1: produce one will of any attribute then the earth works hilarious well for ramp.
>>
>>46415835
blazer is a good aggro because he essentially forces your opponent to never flip their ruler. only downside is he is awful versus r/r
>>
>>46427277
Nah, he's pretty great against them. If they want to flip R/R, they have to flip them back before your main phase or you'll have a free 1000/1000. He won't blow up refrain but that's to be expected. They could just flip refrain before your main phase but then they can't use the cancel a normal spell ability against you which is actually important. Uncounterable split heaven is super sweet.
>>
>>46428151
they can still just use reflects abilities with impunity witch can bury blazer in value and never flip or do flip then just flip back in response to judgment and continue to grind out value
>>
>>46428395
They can, but they still have to deal with the fact that either the give you a 1000/1000 that can't be bounced and is just better when you have nothing or never be able to cancel your normal spells. Also, most r/r decks have super greedy stone decks. Blazer punisher wouldn't be too hard. Basic stones only, split heaven and earth, red moon to nuke special stones which can see r/r back considerably because then they have to call a stone and can't flip, and barrier just makes flipping reflect a pain and makes change the world more fair. Blazer's prison is actually sounding like a fun build...
>>
>>46426810
This is a retard that play another weeb TCG, Rixoss or however its spelled. It it literally waifu bait the TCG, and the one he keep mentioning is the his waifu. He posts his obsession in FoW thread because Rixoss will never get an English release and he needs a place to waifugasm, this is the closest thing he has.
>>
>>46428151
Blazer is fucking garbage against R/R. All they have to do is never flip and they win by default because they still have 3 very relevant abilities, while Blazer has nothing. Literally nothing.
>>
File: 4048.jpg (25 KB, 274x384) Image search: [Google]
4048.jpg
25 KB, 274x384
>>46431712
Actually, mechanically at least, Wixoss is an amazingly well designed tcg (art-wise, yes, it's pure waifu bait). No idea why the "I want to fuck Piruluk" guy keeps posting in completely unrelated threads.

Pic related is Piruluk (polite sage for off topic).
>>
>>46431712
Ok lets be honest, Wixoss isn't a card game, it's an anime that happens to share a name with a dead-in-the-water TCG. And the anime was great.
>>
>>46432787
Tcgs actually doing pretty good, last I heard. Japan has a much more diverse tcg market than north america.
>>
>>46428461
That's honestly fine for the R/R player. He'll probably never counter a normal spell but he can still sneak in a tutor or creature bounce before your main phase then flip back over, so he gets to do 2/3 of his J-Ruler functions with some timing restrictions, and you get a J/Ruler who does nothing except let you tap for red mana.

R/R gives zero shits about Blazer.
>>
>>46432814
Yeah, but it may as well not exist outside of Japan and probably never will, so it's functionally dead to anyone not willing to move to Grorious Nippon to be with their card-waifus.
>>
>>46432826
That is true.
>>
>>46432816
>R/R gives zero shits about Blazer.
Isn't Dark Alice the same?
>>
>>46432904
>Isn't Dark Alice the same?
Well I guess she doesn't directly interact with R/R at all, but unlike Blazer they can't really stop her from flipping, blowing up most of the board, and then swinging for face as a big angry fatty.

She also hates on the graveyard a little bit, which can provide some vague benefit depending on which R/R build they're running.
>>
>>46432990
Oh sorry, I meant Dark Alice against Blazer. I couldn't really find much wiggle room against my friends deck with her, and he never really flipped DA unless he had those cats to just make her imperishable.
>>
>>46433051
Well if you're running Blazer you should have 4x Deathscythe in the sideboard, if not maindecked, to deal with Imperishable. There's way too much Imperishable floating about to not have them, and they get rid of Swiftness on Rulers too which is great considering a lot of people maindeck Laevateinn just for that.
>>
>>46433090
Sounds like a plan. I just started a little bit ago, so I don't have too much stock of anything, as well as Rulers. Pulled him from a booster pack, so I've just been trying him out to see what he does. But yeah, if I can't flip him, he's really only useful for the Red Mana bit, so I'm trying to figure out ways to pressure his deck a bit more.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.