[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone run a game with this system? How is it? Thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: numenera.jpg (227 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
numenera.jpg
227 KB, 1920x1080
Has anyone run a game with this system? How is it?

Thinking of DM'ing for the first time and I really like Numenera's setting.
>>
bamp
>>
Haven't run.
But finished reading the core book 1-2 months ago.
Liked some parts of the setting and some cool ideas like effort. But overall I found the system kind of generic. The idea of doing the same test do climb a mountain or drive a bizarre vehicle didn't appeal to me.
I would say, try it out and see if you like it.
>>
Good ideas, poor execution. Crunch is unbalanced and wonky, fluff is uninspired and boring.

Don't bother.
>>
One of our biggest campaigns that lasted the longest was Numanera. It was pretty great. It boils game design, and game playing, down to some simple basics.

/tg/ is a group of munchkins, so they cant really appreciate it or a half decent story-oriented game.
>>
>>46412286
Numenera it's a story-game only in the widest sense. It's Monte Cook's attempt at making a kind of game he doesn't understand. It's full of D&D-isms (a lot of the cyphers and monsters are straight up adaptations from D&D), the mechanics are bland and the fluff makes no sense.
Actual, well written story-games have the narration and the "stats" inextricably linked; "just wing it because the designer couldn't be bothered" does not make it a story-game.
>>
File: 1447058359066.jpg (42 KB, 366x442) Image search: [Google]
1447058359066.jpg
42 KB, 366x442
>>46412363
You are so ridiculously below me.
>>
>>46410437
Good idea.
Meh execution.
Meh mechanics.

It's a shame, I love the concept, but keep in mind that playing it will mean doing all the fluff and lots of the crunch yourself.
>>
>>46412550
So none of the premade adventures are good?
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>46412380
Oh please. I'd wager you don't even have mammoth ivory dice, you peasant. Now run along and play your "story game" while you act grateful that I deigned to reply to your sniveling.
>>
>>46412601
Wouldn't say that. I see references to The Devil's Spine being used as a campaign fairly often, the ten quick adventures book is very good, and the adventures provided in the main book are all at least decent. What they aren't is dungeon crawls.
>>
The lack of crunch is a love or hate sort of affair, my groups loved the setting and i found the game pleasant to run.
>>
>DRIT
>>
>>46410437
Brilliant for newcomers
Two finished games and third ongoing
Personally my favourite thing ever
>>
I really like it. Other anons are right when they say you have to write a lot of the fluff yourself. I like doing that though since I end up doing that in most of my games anyways.

Hard to find people that really want to play it though. My players have a wide comfort zones but would rather eat aluminum foil then even dip their toes out of that comfort zone.
>>
Thinking of buying this or the Cypher book to run my cyberpunk wild west setting. Which would you suggest? Other than the obvious (world building, etc), is there anything different between the books? What parts of the mechanics do you guys like specifically? I'm looking for something fast and easy to run (I don't want to get bogged down like Pathfinder) but fun at the same time (my group really likes Edge of the Empire).
>>
>>46414887
The Cypher System book or The Strange is probably the best place to start for that setting goal. The cyphers that are the game's namesake are a large part of adapting the rules to a new setting, and the Numenera book is very heavily flavored by its particular combination of Dying Earth and proto D&D. Either of the other two will have more advice for flavoring cyphers and character building to other genres.

Six-gun Punk is probably a good fit, to be honest, because the gadget of the week ala Wild Wild West drops right into the system's Oddities, Cyphers, and Artifacts categories.
>>
In the middle of our first Numenera campaign and it's actually pretty fun. Our group really likes Monte Cook so we might be biased, but the source material and base setting gives the creative GM alot to work with. And the mechanics are refreshingly different for a group that usually plays d20. Definitely a fun mid-length system.
>>
>>46415974
>Our group really likes Monte Cook
Good god, what is wrong with you people?
>>
>>46412380
I don't get the reference, but seriously, if you think Numenera is a story-game you probably have only seen D&D in all your life.
>>
>>46416120
He wrote a lot of great adventures and is the only one of the team members to apologize for 3e, what you should be asking is what is wrong with all the obese morons who parrot opinions without knowledge?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.