[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Settings with advanced isolationists? Preferably with a tiny
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 1458255298000.jpg (33 KB, 503x335) Image search: [Google]
1458255298000.jpg
33 KB, 503x335
Settings with advanced isolationists? Preferably with a tiny population?

Not just "We're a few years ahead" or "the tech advantage of the USA over military and listening organisations" advanced, but civilizations who are eclipse-phase era but for whatever reason not deliberately dominant sharing a planet with AD1500 era civilizations sort of advanced.

The tiny pop is optional but preferred. Gives more excuses for things to be weird - research opportunities ignored because they couldn't crack them, bizarre forms of government, etc. Also a considerably lower impact on the world, making the isolationism and lack of world rulership simpler.
>>
>>46409300
Why would a dolphin need a fully enclosed helmet? They breathe air. I could see a full body suit to keep their skin wet and for movement, but there should at least be a tube or something connected to the blowhole.
>>
>>46409358
Manipulators. Look. It's clearly got its filthy dolphin paws all over that glorious human woman. It's a mercurial that's been altered to breathe water as well as air.
>>
File: blakandacureforcancer.jpg (767 KB, 1200x1330) Image search: [Google]
blakandacureforcancer.jpg
767 KB, 1200x1330
>>46409300
Marvel's got a bunch. Pic related.
>>
>>46409453
Actual published RPG settings.
>>
>>46409300
Immortal or near-so population with little drive to breed or conquer. Held together mainly by shared history & nostalgia, along with a general disdain and/or disinterest in dealing with the primitive nonsense the other civilizations are up to.
Ridiculous primitives don't even have AR, let alone a proper full dive VR-net.
>>
>>46409453
Namor was right.
Fuck Wakanda right in the eye.
>>
>>46409358
I think there is part the cushions around the head, including where the blowhole is. Presumably, air is provided to that.
>>
>>46409468
Man, I hope you aren't OP.
Requesting information for a very specific sort of scenario and that only taking published material would make someone a bit of a jacknape.

>>46409501
Marvel in particular loves people not sharing technology or breakthroughs.
On the other hand, someone does invariably weaponize anything and everything, in that setting or not.
>>
>>46409569
I am OP. I don't want your comics, but it's hardly the most unknown trope. And given the first word is 'setting' that doesn't seem like the most unreasonable request. On a board about traditional games. Especially since you're trying to turn the thread into a black/white shitfight for /pol/.
>>
>>46409300
Pretty sure the Dolphins in the Uplift Universe aren'tisolationist.
>>
>>46409642

Neo-Dolphins are one of my favorite fantasy/sci-fi races ever. Haiku-speaking spaceship piloting motherfuckers they are.

I need to read Startide Rising again.
>>
>>46409597
I wasn't the one that brought up that Marvel features a few of those, i'm just the one calling you shit for your response. Also, get this, that is a setting. With multiple actual published RPGs to boot. So please, get fucked.

Also, you are the only one to mention pol shit. If you're reading that far into a long established part of a setting, I think you might be the one trying to start a shitfight. So you might want to check your shit before you get fucked, wouldn't want anyone to catch anything from you.
>>
>>46409738
Then give examples, you silly cunt, or fuck off with your pretentious, sanctimonious bullshit.
>>
>>46409656
It's just a shame that the new trilogy is going to be so ass. It's basically
>Neo-dolphins trapped on Jijjo find out that there is an ancient alien race working to turn Galaxy 4 into sword-and-sorcery powered by genetic engineering
>They must stop them with the help of the other Jijjoans

Seriously, why are we going back to that shithole planet, and not exploring what the hell is happening to Earth?
>>
>>46409773

Wait, new trilogy? Don't do this to me Elmer, are you for real?
>>
>>46409769
You were already given one of the biggest examples that isn't aliens, gods, or alien gods.

The only sanctimonious bullshit present is the possibly diseased shit that you are full of. Please add that "off" to the list of fucked you can get after you've been tested.
>>
>>46409788
That's what was reported. Apparently Brin wrote a short story, Temptation, a few years back about it and says that the new trilogy he has planned is going to be heavily based on Temptation. That's basically saying that the Buruli stayed on Jijjo and they're making this whole sword and sorcery thing so that they can have one big joke. It explains the miniature Tytlal as being part of their experiment; every sentient species of Jijjo gets miniaturized so they can be stored in their experimental VR ships.
>>
>>46409932

Well damn.
>>
File: 1458615770286.jpg (23 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1458615770286.jpg
23 KB, 500x375
>>46409468
FASERIP system. Get fucked, infinigger.
>>
>>46409300
Star Trek is absolutely chockfull of those. Some of them are pretty much literal gods. The original crew encountered a lot of them. Enough to make me wonder if some of their worlds would technically be in the Federation, at this point.
>>
>>46410380
In Federation territory, that is. Though, territory in Star Trek seems to work in a weird way. The Neutral Zone is the only official space-border we know of. Space is pretty big, and territory that isn't a system or a planet seems hard to qualify unless you put some real effort in installing some listening posts.
>>
>>46409656
>Startide Rising
I'm having a hell of a time pushing my way through Sundiver. Does it get better?
The ideas are neat, but where I'm at it's just Demwa arsing around with bland aliens and trying to make me take "Shirts vs Skins" and "P.P. vs Doo-Doo" seriously.
>>
>>46410523

Personally, I think Sundiver's the weakest of the lot. World-building has always been Brin's strong point, and there's a lot of interesting stuff thrown around in there, but it feels throughout like it's just there to lay the groundwork.

Startide Rising, on the other hand, is probably in my top 5 favorite books ever. And it's a new (but related) story in the same universe, rather than a straight sequel. You'll be rewarded if you stick it out through Sundiver with references to characters you'll already be acquainted with, and you'll be able to appreciate how far the Earth-Clan client races have come in the years between books, but ultimately you could just drop Sundiver right now and move onto Startide Rising without losing much. Might not even be a bad idea if you think it's turning you off of the series, because Startide Rising is amazing.

Part of the reason it's amazing is because it's almost entirely focused on Neo-Dolphins, which are easily the best thing about the whole universe. The Uplift War centers on Neo-Chimps, and it still blows Sundiver out of the water, but I feel like Startide Rising is a hard act to follow.

The Uplift Trilogy is just fucking weird. Good, but weird. I enjoyed them, but I feel like you really need to have been reeled in by the previous books to get anything out of them. If one isn't absolutely scrambling like a crack-addict to find another Uplift book after The Uplift War, I kind of expect their reaction to Jijo would be something along the lines of "What the fuck is this? Where'd my sci-fi go?"

The takeaway: fucking read Startide Rising. If you like it, the others are all good, but Startide Rising is fucking great.
>>
>>46409597
>trying to turn the thread into a black/white shitfight for /pol/

How the fuck did you conclude that he was trying to do that? This is well past what is mentally healthy, even for a SJW.
>>
>>46410590
Excellent news! Because Sundiver is killing me on the inside.

I read Temptation back in high school, years ago, and that left me itching for more.
>>
>>46409300
well there are the jovens from EVE online. Crazy advanced and heavily into genetic transhumanism. Mostly isolanist since they don't really need much from others, and are different enough from normal humans that it can be tricky to get along.
>>
>>46409300
What's that from?
>>
>>46415183
Jesus Christ, read the fucking thread
>>
>>46412988
Not him, but that's what the future thread from yesterday turned into within 50 posts.
>>
File: The Mars Daybreak (3).webm (1 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
The Mars Daybreak (3).webm
1 MB, 720x480
>>46415183
>>
>>46416830
Thanks m8
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.