[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going by the d&d definitions, what sorta sword would something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1203391106757.jpg (31 KB, 550x467) Image search: [Google]
1203391106757.jpg
31 KB, 550x467
Going by the d&d definitions, what sorta sword would something with a length of ninety centimeters and a width of twelve centimeters be?
>>
>>46406829
Shortsword.
>>
Slightly shorter than average Medium Longsword.
>>
Who uses cm to measure things?
>>
>>46408220
Those who aren't at the heart of the pig empire I assume.

I mean, seriously, kid, non-Americans exist.
>>
>>46408220
Most of the humans on earth.
Anyone with a STEM degree.
>>
>>46408352
>>46408336
Metric was invented well after the middle ages, post colonial era, it has less room here than potato's reeeeeeeee
>>
>>46408364
So was the electric computer you are posting that from, what's your point?
>>
Depends on blade shape:
If triangular, a large cinquedea.
If machete-shaped, a falchion.
If rectangular with symmetrical tip, a piece of shit.
>>
>>46408380
SWORDS WOULDVE BEEN MEASURED IN IMPERIALS OR LOCAL UNITS REEEEEEE
>>
>>46406829
>twelve centimers width

shit man, a broadsword pherhaps. which I think is shortsword.
>>
>>46408220
Like 70% of the world?

90cm is ~ 3 ft long, 12 cm is ~ 4 inches wide. So with handle and guard you've got maybe 3ft 10in (its used two handed) in length.

At a stretch I'd call it either a bastard sword or a longsword.

Now the whole bit about being made of crystallized glory, forged by fae, and having variable levels of power depending on the chivalrousness of the user (at one point she *must* use it one handed even after the other hand is healed, because a) chivalry; she didn't overcome the wound herself and b) the sword would literally dull itself otherwise). Do we even get into igniting all the prana in an area? All of that throws some muckiness into its stats.

oh and there's that bit about it being the sword of promised victory and whoever wields it literally cannot lose.
>>
>>46408413
But this is a board for fantasy. And in my fantasy land, the local units are metric.
>>
>>46408438
It was also made for a person with the physique of a 14 year old girl, remember.
It definitely qualifies as a longsword with that in mind.
>>
>>46408473
in that case, mind if I ask at what point is a sword considered a greatsword for someone that is 5'1, or 155cms tall?

Nevermind the physique, she's supernaturally strong
>>
>>46408504
It's not big enough to be a greatsword, it'd have to be much longer for that.
>>
File: 1459106392441.png (1 MB, 1284x1781) Image search: [Google]
1459106392441.png
1 MB, 1284x1781
>>46408504
"Greatsword" isn't really something defined. "Longsword" barely is to begin with. People forget that a longsword is in fact long, and meant to be wielded with two hands. Wielding a longsword with one hand is not impossible, but awkward and not their intended use.

In any case it is made for her physique nonetheless, it is literally crafted for her use alone and it's obviously meant for her to be comfortable holding and swinging. She can lower it without scraping the ground, and her famous pose of planting the tip in the ground leaves her arms at a comfortable position. It's definitely not too big for her.
>>
>>46408473
Going by Wikipedia, "bastard swords" are hard to define (being a modern construct) but are 'usually' just long swords with a different hilt, and those are 'usually' ~39-51inches in total length, depending on user; so yeah for someone so small, I'd call it a bastard sword.
>>
>>46408623
when I say greatsword I mean something wide and lengthy that looks like it requires two hands for a proper swing. I was thinking that the height of a highlander claymore would be enough to be slightly hulking in comparison.
>>
>>46408682
By that standard it would be a greatsword but also most longswords would be greatswords too.
Using a longsword with one hand, you utilize it more like a tiny metal spear with thrusting and jabbing. Slashing effectively with one hand on a long item like that is not easy.
>>
>>46408738
Her strength and reflexes are above that of the strongest human alive. It's a magical girl, really, it was really just a matter of scaling the sword in a way that doesn't make it too outrageously weeaboo.
>>
>>46408779
Even so she can't wield Excalibur one-handedly. Did you even read Fate/Zero? Having her left thumb incapacitated threw her completely out of her game.
>>
>>46408220
Those who want an accurate measurement.
>>
>>46408807
I'm not talking about Saber anon.
>>
>>46408807
She could, but she wasn't able to use it to fullest extent (she didn't take the feat that lets her wield bastard swords in 1h, so she was suffering attack penalties)
>>
>>46408814
If this is for some Exalted-esque character, it really doesn't matter. If their sword scrapes the ground, the ground will part like water. The balance is probably negligible, they could wield scrap metal effectively.
Though since you mentioned D&D, for balance's sake just call it a longsword. Every D&D character who knows what they're doing wields longswords two-handed anyway.
>>
>>46408860
funnily enough, the combat system is based around Exalted.
>>
>>46408860
I thought greatswords were your best option if you're never not going to be 2handing.
>>
>>46406829

Seiba a cute.
>>
File: Untitled.png (56 KB, 917x467) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
56 KB, 917x467
SWORD/CHAT NIGHT

If you were DMing, what level would let a warrior get his hands on something like this?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.