[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me out a bit, /tg/. Recently one of my players retired her
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: 1b64e3d.jpg (94 KB, 600x940) Image search: [Google]
1b64e3d.jpg
94 KB, 600x940
Help me out a bit, /tg/. Recently one of my players retired her fighter due to plot reasons (him getting married and settling down) so she will roll a new one. Again a fighter.

But, this time my player wants her PC to be female, and wants to base her off, well, a character drawn by a Tumblr NSFW artist, down to the clothing style. When I said I woulds give the PC penalties my player said it was okay since "roleplaying is more fun than minmanxing".

I told her I would ask the others what would they think, and much to my chagrin all loved the idea. So, right now I am at a loss about what to do. I am trying to have a Souls-ish game with a darker feel, and I think this character would clash horribly with my plot (which is in part the player's intention). But at the same time I know is really shitty to tell players how to play their PCs.

Thoughts? Would you let it fly?

pic unrelated
>>
Stop being dumb and let it happen.

Explain your setting more to us.
>>
If everyone is having fun then just bite your lip and let it happen
>>
>>46403939
Based on which artist? For scientific research.

Also - souls games have some dumb-looking characters. Its the atmosphere thats important.
>>
Suck it up and let it happen.
>>
>>46403939
I see nothing wrong with it.

Also plot armor OP, something you should just let the character have a cool design.
>>
>>46404315
This, have you SEEN the armors in Dark Souls?
>>
>>46404084

My game pretty takes place in a large island where everyone who arrives cannot leave. The island has a curse and the only way to keep it at bay is drinking the local water. Moving away will always lead to death as the water loses it's properties if stored after a time. Recently the PCs discovered there is a dragon-like entity sleeping beneath the island and is the cause of the curse. At the same time, the island's ruler wants everything to stay the same or even awaken the entity (a dragon). Like I said, is terribly souls-sy

>>46404122
>>46404315

Have you people heard of "Slugbox"? well, the fighter will look like this girl. The chubby red haird one. And the player wants her to dress in a similar way even if it leads to penalties to her stats.

I'm sure you can see my problem.
>>
>>46404426

and another.
>>
>>46403939
>Would you let it fly?
No, but I also wouldn't have been a little bitch about it and would have told her "no" from the start.
>>
File: 1335402797797.jpg (5 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1335402797797.jpg
5 KB, 150x150
>>46404426
>Have you people heard of "Slugbox"?

Mr. Orozco/Meadows, do you not know where you are?
>>
File: battle skirt.png (290 KB, 641x566) Image search: [Google]
battle skirt.png
290 KB, 641x566
>>46404426
>just a bikini

I take back my statement. I'd kick her for that one. That's more fetish then anything.
>>
>>46404615

Honestly I had not heard the name until this week.

>>46404655

Kicking her out may be too much, but I'd like her to play something less weird. But all my other players like the character idea.
>>
>>46404426

I've never heard of slugbox but I guess the character could fit in that sort of Kingdom Death kind of way, which has a similar grim feel. I suppose you could also ask the players how they're seeing the setting because they might not see the same thing you're seeing.
>>
>>46406230

>Kingdom Death

I never noticed how similar the aesthetics are to the Souls games
>>
>>46406513
>>
>>46404426
is the player a qt?
>>
>>46404426
So she wants to play a fighter with no armor whatsoever? That seems like a short life.
>>
>>46404951
What kind of penalties are you imposing OP? And what is the rationale?
Bikini =\= armor so no benefits seems fine to me.
But big ol'titties reduces your dodge, smacks of passive aggressive bullshit.

I rarely impose any stat change based off of a description. Though it has come up.
>>
>>46403939
Okay, did you say what you said to us, to her? Did you say to her, "I think this character would clash horribly with my plot, which I suspect is part of your intent."? If not, take it from there and discuss it with her some more.

Is her intent to clash going to be based on her character's outlook? Is she just planning on being super optimistic? Is she planning on rolling to seduce the skeletons? What do you think she'll do that'll throw such a big monkey wrench into your plans?

Personally, I'd make a judgement call based on the player's history. If the player hasn't fucked up games in the past, I'd let it slide and see what happened. However, if it were one of the players that's mucked up the table before, I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>46407059
>>46404426
Woah, I did not see the character in question before I wrote that post. I probably wouldn't allow it unless it were one of my players that I REALLY trusted. Maybe two of the people I've ever played with could pull something like that off, and one of those could only do it because they've got blackmail material.
>>
>>46404426
Isn't that the series where at some point they have to transport a big tentacle beastie inside of that bichromatic catgirl?
>>
>>46404426
If you're running a "souls like" game trust your encounters to punish stupid shit. Give her some subtle-ish warnings that what she's doing will get her killed, and let her meet you in the middle through character development. My usual "stop fucking around" message is a character losing an arm or a leg
>>
Your problem is that her character is not wearing appropriate armor for combat, right? Then if the system is designed correctly the character should be killed right away. If the character is able to effectively fight with no armor, then her choice to not wear armor is appropriate for that game world.

Do you see what I'm saying? Within the rules of the world, if a fighter is able to be effective with no armor then the player's choice to not wear armor is consistent with the game world. If this bothers you then you need to change gameplay systems. If your system corresponds properly with the tone you're trying to develop for your world, then the character should be killed or maimed quickly, probably by projectiles.

Personally, I would be ok with it if the character had a large shield, spear, and helmet. That's enough defense to be realistically effective. If she wants to use a sword by itself without any armor or something else equally retarded just kill her character off.
>>
>>46406513
They have a similar grim feel but depart in that there's a not entirely subtle sexual flare to it. That said, they can be sort of made to work without going too far off the original track. If anything, I think it's mostly the art style in which the player's character is drawn that's really breaking away from the feel of your setting. What system is the game being run in?
>>
If I had to be a cynic I'd say that your other players might be chill with it because Magical Realm or whatever the fuck.

If you're really going for a hard, dark fantasy feel with a good dose of bleakness, like Dark Souls, than having a colorful and anime girl in a bikini with huge tits would probably be quite out of it. If that's your biggest problem then tell your character that. You don't actually have a huge gripe with the character itself, it's just that it wouldn't fit the game. Tell her that you wouldn't want a Grimdark Edgy necromancer clad in all black walking around in as a PC in an optimistic, high fantasy JRPG-esqe game.

Even if saying all of this isn't 100% true, it'll probably placate her and, hopefully, she'll understand. Make it seem like you're trying to get her to do something that will be more fun for her in the long run. I don't think I'd enjoy being a character that's so absurdly out of place unless it was the aforementioned necromancer played for absurd shits and giggles.
>>
File: chargen.jpg (52 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
chargen.jpg
52 KB, 480x640
>>46403939
Well, it's not as if people didn't make ridiculous, out-of-place characters in dark souls, too.
>>
>>46404122
That sounds suspiciously like rape, anon
>>
>>46404426
>>46404467
Please link to comic...
>>
File: IMAG0019_BURST002.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0019_BURST002.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>46409539
Mah person of color!
>>
>>46404426

>>46406735 this has to happen, just tell that PC has more or less no armor and make sure that PC dies from menial shit like infection from thorn scratch
>>
>>46411854
it pains me to know there are actual GMs who behave like this. Even if you're a troll who has never played an RPG there are GMs that bad.
>>
>>46412163
As a GM who has had to actively suppress the urge to start doing this to certain players, let me say that sometimes, it starts to feel like a REALLY good idea. Never actually did it, but it would've felt good to try.

Some players really get that infuriating, even to the good GMs.
>>
>>46404426
Do the Kingdom Death route, or hell, link it to her and let her pick one of the bikini armors there.

It'll fit your dark themes better, and some of them at least LOOK lethal/protective in their own ways.

If you really feel the need to emphasize how it's not armor, make the build a riskier, one hit one kill fighter who can't afford to take a hit. Let her roleplay the fear that comes along with someone who regularly goes out without armor, as well as the stubbornness and confidence to make such a thing work.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.