[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you like to see in a video game about administrating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: Tavern-adventurers.png (3 MB, 1597x825) Image search: [Google]
Tavern-adventurers.png
3 MB, 1597x825
What would you like to see in a video game about administrating an adventurer guild?
>>
Ability to select classes and form parties. Named characters with personalities so that I think "Oh, those two are going to a dungeon to level, neat" instead of Generic Fighter #34 and #32 altering some numbers on a spreadsheet.
>>
>>46402187
Maybe instead of players creating the adventurers from 0 offer them a variety of characters they can choose for their guild, that way you can create a good experience with character development.

Also from an economic.pov you could make a sequel usinh some of those characters and adding some more.
>>
>>46402656
>>46402504
i was thinking in having random generated character that are willing to join your adventurer guild the more famous you become
>>
>>46402187
That would take some genuine thought i'm just not prepared to do right now. something something random events managing adventurer happiness and the kingdoms social order/Kings happiness, building facilities with dues, managing relationships with other guilds, issuing bounties on certain quests to make people happy/prevent the end of the world etc

thread don't die in the meantime
>>
test
>>
>>46402187
Xcom 2 but fantasy
>>
>>46404613
Hope it doesn't i really want to hear your opinion Jose Santos
>>46404910
was thinking in a more descriptive "combat"
>>
>>46405229
For combat use 4e rules. Those fit grid combat very well. The ship from xcom becomes a castle dungeon that you clear level by level to progress the story. You set up bases and networks throughout the continent and get tons of radiant quests for random stuff.

Maybe the BBEG is working on X and your group and others are competing to stop him or take control of X. You have to build your networks while taking out there's.
>>
text based combat like df
>>
File: 1285182695765.jpg (2 MB, 1392x2664) Image search: [Google]
1285182695765.jpg
2 MB, 1392x2664
Lots and lots and lots of adventurers.
>>
>>46406820
My basic idea was, you have a list of quest you select the adventurers that seem fit to complete the quest with some formulas and random numbers you determine if the quest was successful or if the adventurers failed/died etc...
>>
>>46406894
if not actually seeing how the adventure goes,maybe showing some flavor text or small animation of the adventure walking/fighting
>>
>>46402187
Rival guilds, they compete for jobs and try to steal your members away. Also counter guilds for bad guys, that both antagonize and help:
>"we will destroy that town you are protecting! Also if you can send a paladin our way for an epic duel, we can set one of your parties up with a great new dungeon to raid. kk thanks bye!"
>>
>>46407294
sounds like a cool story for an actual campaign, but how would it fit in a video game? just story like story events? or there is a big pool of adventurers
>>
>>46402187
Or make it an RTS OP, two guilds of adventurers and a big bad dungeon in the middle, the game ends when they kill the big bad dragon in the final level of the dungeon, the one with more gold wins
>>
>>46407326
Relationship stats and Semi random events. You could look at Civs for a simple example, other Civs are rivals, neutral, or allies.

Every now and then they contact you for some reason, or you can reach out to them, and you can build a relationship with them. A good relationship means that they will reciprocate more often. A bigger and better ally, gives you access to better rewards.

Rivals would interact more subtle. Potential guild members are a resource that you compete for. When a hero walks into town (random event) you can invite them to your guild. depending on things like guild size, funds, and territory, your rival may try to out bid you.

All this can be dressed up nicely as story events
>>
>>46402504
>>46404910
Kind of what I was thinking. I keep getting the image of Xcom combined with Baldur's Gate.
>>
>>46404567
>>46402656 here,
yeah, that´s another good idea but i was thinking on how I build my setting in base of the adventures and stories of guilds of adventurers and thought it could be like that. Would play the game anyway.
>>
>>46402187
>a video game about administrating an adventurer guild?

Darkest dungeon, but with more variety in quests, perhaps more on the noblebright end of the spectrum, and also dealing with factions.

>do price-discounted quests for the mayor to make him happy, get lower local taxes in exchange
>working for the guard captain means your adventurers are less likely to spend time in jail for their debauchery
>alchemist needs quests done, get discount on his shop when relations with him are good
>adventurers want constantly-increasing plunder and xp. Keep them busy and happy, or they might get into trouble or seek adventure elsewhere

Also, keep a lot of things text-based so you can have extreme variety in quests, items, NPCs, dialogue, and so on.
>>
This is exactly the game I want to make.
>Every character has a name and personality, if they die they don't come back
>Everyone has a few basic stats based on their race and combat size category
>Uses minor combat triangle; Heavy beats Medium beats Light beats Heavy.
>Every character also has a minor special ability to give them more flavor
>Mages are very uncommon but have a few magic powers, often unique
>In your quests and dungeons you can sometimes find rare friends like intelligent undead, friendly monsters, even a trained tiger
>Saving and befriending these monsters is a minor quest, dungeons are somewhat randomized.
>Combat is turn based and based on positioning
>Weapon reach determines a threat area enemies must roll their stars to move through without getting hurt
>Combat is lethal but highly skill based
>>
>>46402187
Some sort of base building function where you buy increasingly nice property as your wealth and prestige grows and that you can then customize to a degree.
Some sort of political aspect where you have to manage the attitudes of different groups towards you. Do you put all your efforts into budding up to the king so you get all the most prestigious jobs? Do you work with the merchants sending people to ensure stable trade so you can become richer than you ever imagined? Do you make secret deals with the bandits in the hills to make your work far easier but also risking harsh repercussions?
>>
>>46404910
Jagged Alliance 2 in fantasy form would be even more awesome provided that the combat was as detailed as in 1.13 mod. I mean, then there would be finally cRPG ( that isn't an antiquated blopper) with combat that doesn't suck.
>>
File: Les-2-Reines-003.jpg (95 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
Les-2-Reines-003.jpg
95 KB, 600x337
>>46402187
The setting is a booming frontier city without any established guilds or temple organizations. In an effort to manage the influx of adventurers of various races and classes the town authorities have chartered the adventure guild. Balance the guild's harmony between humans, dwarves, elves, and others while maintaining a healthy rivalry and spirit of cooperation between the temple priests and paladins, the rangers and druids of the forest, the soldiers of the town militia, and the merchants and their rogue or bard agents by carefully distributing contracts and resources while arbitrating disputes. Aim to grow the guild from its humble beginnings by attracting young apprentices and assigning them to one of the organizations for training, help claim the wilderness, and expand deeper into dangerous territory with your growing strength thereby attracting more and more recruits and special veterans.

But beware, if you can't grow the organization well, or lose too many recruits to mismanagement, infighting, or attrition, then the guild may not survive when one of your sub organizations accidentally an ancient evil.
>>
>>46409545
>the guild may not survive when one of your adventuring parties accidentally a whole city block for the eighth time in a row

FTFY
>>
I'd like to see a Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker or Phantom Pain like system where you find adventurers out in the field, maybe as bandits or soldiers, kidnap/recruit them for their various stats and play them in quests.
Seeing as how I don't imagine a system like that could be viable in a video game, the quests can be pretty simplistic.
>>
>>46409635
And to steal some ideas from Dragon's Dogma and another anon in this thread, maybe have the Guild be based in a town around an area where monsters spawn from every now and then, like a hellgate or somewhat like it, but way more toned down than hell
Maybe the reason they don't completely shut down this portal is because killing monsters is good for the economy and monster parts have several good magical or practical properties that makes letting them be somewhat prevalent is a boon
Like, yeah that Manticore killing people might be a big problem but it's hide is some of the toughest and lightest shit this side of the planet
>>
>>46409714
>Maybe the reason they don't completely shut down this portal is because killing monsters is good for the economy and monster parts have several good magical or practical properties that makes letting them be somewhat prevalent is a boon

Or maybe closing the portals is the player's endgame goal. He just needs to do this whole adventuring guild thing to assemble the kind of team that would have a chance to stop it.

Maybe some side-goals could include capturing monsters alive so that people can try to farm them for parts.
>>
>>46402187
Every adventurer has a plot. Also waifus. LOTS OF WAIFUS.
>>
>>46402187
I'm thinking this could play really well if it had the same kind of feel as Divinity Dragon Commander. Not in gameplay, but in the idea of having the game be primarily politics and intrigue, but with the option to directly command battles, or in this case adventures, or just have the game auto-do them while you work on buying over power in the city. Have a cast of rival guild leaders and other such persons of interest who are worth talking to and getting to know, so that you can get the whole politics side of the deal going.
>>
The Ghostbusters video game for the X-box had a neat mechanic where your goal was to minimize collateral damage, because the clients would take the damages out of your fee.
Imagine the guild being asked to reclaim a watchtower from bandits, only to hear the "kill bandits" part and not the "get the tower" bit, so they decide the fastest way to complete their contract is to just demolish the tower with the Bandits still inside. Who's going to pay for that? The guild is going to pay for that
>>
>>46402187
A quick scroll through the thread shows I'm totally in the minority, but I'd rather that all the adventuring is off camera, and that you only deal with RPG mechanics when they make problems for a guild manager.

Like, you have a rising star badass adventurer, but next time he levels you're going to lose him to a guild with a bigger budget. So you send him on a bunch of adventures that are beneath his station (as many as you can without just pissing him off entirely) and try to get him one experience shy of leveling, then send him on an adventure that's really pushing it and puts him into next level. Because that's how you keep him on your roster the longest and get the most commissions for what he does.

Also things like: Paladins are awesome, but they always want to fight the greatest evil available and get cranky if you send them somewhere else. Also, you need to be careful they don't get overworked and fall from grace, because the market for fallen paladins is garbage.
>>
so what are the guild options?
bulding barracks?
paying first aid and colateral damage?
expanding?
advertising?
something like if you pay 100000 gold you have acces to a whole new area for your adventurers
or the more quest your adventurer complete your reputation increase and more people want to join and give you harder quests
>>
>>46402187
on the topic of "/tg/ management vidya games", How would you mechanize/gamify leading/raising a Lovecraftian cult?
>>
>>46409921
killing people gives you points to summon monster or something like that
>>
>>46410014
>>46409921
Sacrificing people makes you more likely to be found out by investigators, and the gods keep demanding more sacrifices that you need to keep up with. Recruiting more people makes you more likely to be found out by investigators, but more recruits gets you bonuses. You want more cultists, because it's temporal power, while your dark masters demand more sacrifices because it's power for them - but that costs you time, and is risky.

So you'd start off with generally taking people from the population for sacrifices. This eventually introduces the investigators to the game. If the investigators manage to break up your cult, that's it, game over. Canny players might be able to "farm" investigators, using them to make up any shortfalls in sacrifices, swelling their cult numbers in order to attract more investigators to your quaint fishing hamlet.

Enough sacrifices summons your dark master elder god thing. This would technically be a victory condition, as your cult gets eaten first. Hooray.

The best victory condition would be your cult leader becoming the de facto ruler of the town, by converting everyone and living a happy life where everyone else does your bidding through fear of being sacrificed.
>>
It looks like my campaign is very predictable...

The party are getting the refugees from the Orc Invasion of the Wild West. One is concerned about a housing crisis, another about the integration of Orc defectors into the society, one is worried about both the church of Pelor and/or the aboleth's cult infiltrating the town and one is concerned about the government taking umbrage with the idea that a bunch of upstarts are declaring independence.

... and with the ideas in this thread, I have another 2 years of plot hooks.
>>
File: Adventurers.jpg (114 KB, 639x348) Image search: [Google]
Adventurers.jpg
114 KB, 639x348
>>46402187
Weird parties.
>>
>>46402187
Reputation system
For example if your guild only hires mages and does only dragon slaying jobs people won't give you mission where you have to rescue small child from orcs but they will go to you first when ancient dragon god awakens
Maybe something about collateral damage too
>>
>>46402187
>video game about administrating an adventurer guild
Accountant video game when?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.