[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does wilderness travel suck so much in DND? It's so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Spectator Mini.jpg (25 KB, 710x490) Image search: [Google]
Spectator Mini.jpg
25 KB, 710x490
Why does wilderness travel suck so much in DND?

It's so god damn dull. It's my only complaint about the system. It just comes across as filler as the players try to get from set piece to set piece.
>>
This is a fault with the GM rather than the system.
>>
Sounds like your DM is shit.
>>
>>46398307
I'm the GM though...
>>
>>46398239
Are there any games where wilderness travel doesn't suck?
>>
>>46398433
So stop putting dull things in your game.
>>
What's exciting and enticing about riding in a car? or do you just move from set piece to set piece in real life.
>>
I think traveling from between locations is generally kinda hard to make not dull.

I've been playing the FFG Star Wars games and ive been struggling with how to make the actual space interesting. I mean you can have encounters and stuff but most of it that feels forced or like filler.

>>46398285
>>46398307
>>46398480
Any of you useless faggots got some interesting examples to contribute?
>>
>>46398833
Yeah, faggot, just don't fucking put it in if it's boring. Are you retarded? If your game has "filler" then whose fucking fault is that?

Make things relevant. If it's not relevant, don't put it in, or don't whine about it not being relevant. If you send your players on a quest to find the McGuffin Muffins and they need to collect 5 wolf pelts before they actually get to the point where they find stuff out about the things they actually want to do, maybe just don't have them collect wolf pelts in the first place and skip straight to what they want to do.

If your setting is such that traveling is inherently dangerous and you feel that not having dangerous things happen while traveling breaks immersion for the setting, just gloss over how the players had to fight whatever it is they had to fight, but they got to where they want to go. Nobody loses any resources or gains any experience, and you get straight to the interesting non-filler parts.

If you still want to have travel combat and make it relevant, have travel combat reveal things about the party's goal at hand. Maybe they were going the same direction. Maybe they were a rival group. Maybe they were sent by someone trying to stop the party.

It's just so strange to me that in the year 2011+5 of our Lord Jesus Christ there are people who run non-murderhobo games and include opportunities for their players to murderhobo. Like come on, get your shit together. Does your combat have any purpose beyond combat? Is that OK? If not, why are you doing it?
>>
>>46398833

Traveling is boring.

Well, you could try to throw in some character development for one of their NPC contacts. Have them come along and hint about cool shit, talk about themselves, foreshadow plot stuff, etc. Itll give dimension to the NPC, and a shiny NPC to distract the players from the monotony.
>>
>>46399004
And yet you still fail to contribute. All you did is project and and refute the fuck out of a bunch of strawmen. All the things you said are obvious, you even said so yourself.

I asked for an example of how you made traveling in your game interesting. That is an easy and clear way for you to contribute.
>>
>>46398239
The system doesn't support wilderness travel.

Or rather, the system poorly supports it. It's mostly just a tacked-on feature, which means the DM needs to ab-lib the whole thing to make it interesting.

I've been thinking of ways to make it better, but until everything gets sorted out, it's mostly just a bunch of random ideas. One thing I will note is that it's only going to be interesting if players have a chance of getting lost. "Wilderness travel" while on a dirt path isn't interesting; it's random encounters designed to chew up game time.

Also, make sure your gaming group wants to explore/wilderness travel, rather than just get somewhere. Not every gaming group wants to do every possible thing a RPG is capable of doing, after all.
>>
>>46398239
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/tag/hexcrawl
>>
>>46403977

Worth noting that hexcrawls are interesting because they are exploration campaings, more than just travel from A to B.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.