[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General /bgg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58
File: board games.jpg (669 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
board games.jpg
669 KB, 900x900
/bgg/ - Board Games General

pastie: http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

>What did you play this week?
>Recent purchases or purchase plans?
>Ask a bgg related question.
>Answer the question of the guy above you. Even if you don't know the answer. Especially then.
>General board game discussion!
>>
File: PaxBalticaOutofbox.jpg (831 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
PaxBalticaOutofbox.jpg
831 KB, 1024x768
>>46395779
Nothing at all.

Just ordered pic related like an hour ago!

How do you like player interaction in your board games? Non-existant or an essential part of the game? Indirect (ie "stealing" and/or blocking worker placement spots or whatever) or direct conflict?
>>
>>46395779
>play this week?
Just more Netrunner.
>Purchases?
Wish I felt enough enthusiasm to pick up SW: Rebellion.
>bgg related question.
With the AsmodEA price hike starting to go live, how's everyone feel about it?
>Answer the question of the guy above you
Integral, direct and mean as shit.
>>
>>>46395779 (OP)
>>play this week?
Nothing yet, but it's Friday which means game night, which hopefully means some Starfighter time with my wife.
>>Purchases?
> I'm looking into Last Frontier as a solo game but it appears hard to buy
>>bgg related question.
Where do we'll get our games I'm new to this, and the games I'm looking for are older games I am looking for are older and do not appear on eBay or Amazon
>>Answer the question of the guy above you
The price hike was like $2 or something right or am I confused in which case question stands
>>
>>46396639
>Integral, direct and mean as shit.
Good man.

>>46396759
>Where do we'll get our games I'm new to this, and the games I'm looking for are older games I am looking for are older and do not appear on eBay or Amazon
I have a pretty well-stocked online retailer in my country I usually order from. As for older games, the marketplace over at boardgamegeek is probably your best bet.
>>
File: 657.jpg (370 KB, 666x882) Image search: [Google]
657.jpg
370 KB, 666x882
Anyone here have experience with the Next War series from GMT? It looks pretty cool but really complex. Like almost Campaign for North Africa complex.
>>
I've never seen this in a game, but I'm curious what you guys think about this idea for worker placement turn order. instead of having either a rotating order or a space on the board that gives you first place, the spaces on the board would have different weights to them depending on how valuable they are to players. at the end of the round you add up the numbers from the spots you occupy, and the next turn order goes from lowest score to highest score. I'd need to test it, but I'm having problems poking holes in the idea and I'd love for someone to give some reasons for why it's shit. I guess it's similar to the time track in thebes tho

>>46396565
I don't mind direct player interaction, but I'm not a fan of player elimination

>>46396759
it doesn't work for all games, but amazon.de often has games that are out of print in english for very good prices, even including shipping from germany. be sure to check on boardgamegeek to make sure there's no necessary in game text. most games are designed in such a way that only the rule books need to be printed in other languages, so you can easily buy a german copy and then print off the english rules yourself

for example, the game lancaster is $75, helvetia is $120, voyages of marco polo is $70, and mondus novus is $75 on amazon.com

on amazon.de they're $45, $55, $45, and $35

that's a difference of $160. it cost almost double to buy the games in english from amazon, and none of the games have vital english components. just rules
>>
>>46397019
>It looks pretty cool but really complex.
Don't have experience with it but took a quick peek at the rule book. Doesn't seem too bad, rules for the standard game was about 18 pages or so. I would assume a few standard games should be attempted before going for the advanced game. Said advanced game is another 16-18 pages of rules or whatever and there was also a game specific rule book at maybe 12 pages without scenarios, but yeah, I'd say it's not too much for what the game is trying to do.

Also it seems the base rules apply to the entire Next War series, so if you do end up enjoying it then there won't be too much effort in picking up another game in the series! Kind of like GMT's COIN series I guess.

>Like almost Campaign for North Africa complex.
Hehe, don't think any game is THAT complex! Apparently Decision Games is supposedly attempting a reprint of that monster and are playtesting now...

>>46397726
>I don't mind direct player interaction, but I'm not a fan of player elimination
I can get behind this. Or making elimination of one other player a winning condition, like in Space Empires 4X.

I can't think of a game with your proposed idea either, but it seems interesting. The one argument against it I can think of is the potential for AP, but nothing else springs to mind atm.
>>
>>46395779

Catan (cities and knights), Mysterium, Ticket To Ride, Matcha, Circus Flohcati, Common Decency.

Very tempted by Cosmic Encounter, seems like it has the fun interactions of Munchkin without the wacky humour.

I've a couple. I shall ask both!

1. One of my favourite games is Quantum. I love how deep the strategy is considering the simplicity of the rules, and the constant adaptation to changing circumstances. What other (non-classical) games like this would bgg recommend?

2. I've got some ideas for a game based loosely on evolution. I daresay there are a few evolution themed games kicking about - does bgg recommend any?

>>46397726

What would happen if two or more players had equal scores? How would you ensure that going first would always be beneficial?
>>
>>46398202
>Very tempted by Cosmic Encounter, seems like it has the fun interactions of Munchkin without the wacky humour.
There's strong parallels between the two games, but yeah, cosmic is enourmously more interesting to play. Still quite random, but much, much better.

>What other (non-classical) games like this would bgg recommend?
Kemet, Chaosmos, The Duke, Mare Nostrum, Melee, Redacted, Rex.
>>
>>46398202
>2. I've got some ideas for a game based loosely on evolution. I daresay there are a few evolution themed games kicking about - does bgg recommend any?
Can only answer this question well. Dominant Species is an sort of an evolution themed game I highly recommend, probably one of my favourite eurogames.

>>46398553
>Rex
>I love how deep the strategy is considering the simplicity of the rules
I mean I don't consider Rex heavy rules-wise, but I don't know if simple is the right adjective either. This may or may not apply to Mare Nostrum as well, but it was a long time ago since I played it so I'm not too sure.
>>
>>46398553

Cheers for confirming what I've read elsewhere! Still mulling over it but will probably bite the bullet soon. Cheers for the recommendations too.

>>46398659

Ah yeah, I've heard of Dominant Species before. Will have a look and make sure I'm not reinventing the wheel. Ta!
>>
>>46395779

Nothing so far, hopefully something this weekend.

>>Recent purchases or purchase plans?

Way to much -
3 board games
1 expansion
1 KS game & 1 KS expansion all arrived!

>>Ask a bgg related question.

>>Answer the question of the guy above you.
> One of my favourite games is Quantum. What other (non-classical) games like this would bgg recommend?

Quantum is 'Space 4x like' (IIRC it does not feature player elimination). If you are looking for a true 'space 4x' game, then try Twilight Imperium 3, Space Empires 4x, or Eclipse. If you want something 4x or 4x like - then there's also Hegemonic, Exodus, Empires of the Void, Ascending Empires, or even a current KS called 'Tau Ceti'. There are lighter Space Empire building games like Eminent Domain (Deck Drafting) that play out much faster. (Eminent can play out in 45 minutes, Eclipse, Hegemonic, and Exodus can run 1.5 to 3+ hours per game, and TI3 can run 4 to 6 hours.)

>>General board game discussion!
Here Here! Hrumph! Hrumph! Hrumph!
>>
>>46398753
If you're on the lookout for other evolution-themed games there's also Primordial Soup, but I haven't played that for probably 10 years so I can't say much about it.

Here's a bunch of other games in BGGs Evolution family:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/16886/evolution#linkeditems
>>
>>46398836
Doh! Forgot to link to the question I was answering... >>46398202 by the ever lovely 'Alison Savage' <wink wink, nudge nudge. Say no more, say no more!>

And my own question...
>>Ask a bgg related question.

If you could change one thing / aspect about board gaming, what would it be?
>>
>>46395779

>played
Nothing physical, just iOS apps to pass time on commutes
>recent purchases
Blood Bowl Team Manager, Forbidden Desert, Biblios, Cthulhu Realms and Rex, though my card hasn't been charged yet, gotta look into that.
>ask question
What's your worst case of buyer's remorse?
>answer question
already answered by the namefags
>>
>>46398836

I've played Eclipse a couple of times. Pretty heavy going! I enjoyed it, although I'm looking for something a little less time consuming (my usual group sucks at long games) so I'll check out Eminent.

I find it interesting when people consider Quantum to be 4x-like. Although technically correct, it doesn't really feel that way to me.

>>46398848

Many thanks. BGG is my first port of call for these things usually but I was interested to see what people suggested specifically.
>>
>>46398941
>>ask question
>What's your worst case of buyer's remorse?

ApocalyZe - A zombie apoc deck builder. Rules editing issues a plenty, and it took months for the game designers to issue functional errata. I bought it because I liked the artwork, and now I don't even want to sell it off as I'd feel bad for pawning it off on another unsuspecting gamer.

>>answer question
>already answered by the namefags
We're *ALL* namefags now...

>>46398953
>I find it interesting when people consider Quantum to be 4x-like. Although technically correct, it doesn't really feel that way to me.

I can understand that. It's sort of like the 'The Duke' board game - it's "Chess-like", but plays out more quickly and has random variables that Chess lacks.
>>
>>46395779
>play this week
played my friend's new edition of Tanto Cuore: Oktoberfest... that's about it
>recent purchase/plans
dunno honestly, I think I need to clear out some junk before buying anything new
>>46397726
there's a similar concept in a couple games, but only to the extent where there's a turn order bidding phase, or you choose a first player spot. Nothing I know of makes players total up something each round because that's generally seen as tedious
>>
What are you supposed to look for to determine if a game is good?
>>
File: pic1563388_lg.jpg (185 KB, 1024x561) Image search: [Google]
pic1563388_lg.jpg
185 KB, 1024x561
>>46399134
yeah, I could see it being a pain if you had to add up your points at the end of every round. that's why I was thinking more along the line of thebes, where you have a time track that you move along right when you take the actions. the big change from thebes would be you have set rounds where players play in order, and then order is changed for the next round

that does expose a problem though. if we have four players, north-west, it'd work fine to play in a clockwise order from the person who went to the weakest places last turn. but if you want to go in order from lowest location value to highest location value players, you wouldn't be going in a standard clockwise order. play order could be west > east > south > north one turn, and then north > east > west > south the next.

that could be jarring to players, but the biggest problem comes from moving your location point tracker after every action you take. how are people going to remember unconventional turn orders if they're moving their markers around mid turn?

>>46398202
two players having the same score would be a challenge to avoid, and I honestly don't have a clue. I'd argue that going first in a worker placement game is always inherently beneficial since you have complete freedom
>>
>>46399863
>What are you supposed to look for to determine if a game is good?

Well, there's a largely 'subjective' question if ever there was one. Beyond the most general of items, it'll be hard to answer that question with any sort of specifics.

I look for:

Quality of artwork / graphic design.

Quality of rules writing / editing (i.e.readability - were the rules written with an eye to clarity and in a manner that uses correct spelling and grammar? Did the graphic artist use a type face that is easy to read or something that's a pain in the ass to read, or just to damn tiny to read easily?)

Layout - are the rules presented in a logical manner or order? (It's very annoying to constantly have to flip back and forth to find rules items that should have been linked together.)

Quality of materials used - is the game produced as cheaply as possible, or did the publishers invest in more expensive materials that will last a lot longer?

After that you get into rules mechanics, genre, theme, etc which are totally subjective. (Sort of like arguing about whether sweet or salty is better when it comes to food flavors.)
>>
>>46399863
I always watch and read reviews on boardgamegeek.com. most of those nerds know their shit.
>>
>>46399863

Big things for me:

Pretty much everything >>46400056 said.

Also balance is pretty crucial, because a well balanced game tends to have been carefully considered, well designed and tested thoroughly.
>>
Follow up post. What do I do if bgg doesn't even have a game listed.

Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident
>>
>>46400137

Also this. When a game catches your eye, watch a few playthroughs to get a feel for how the game.
>>
>>46400056
Quality production does not always mean quality product. You can have a flawlessly produced game that just falls flat once you play it, or some horrid monstrosity that is a blast to play. Point is, a good game is in the design, the rules, the mechanics and interactions, not on the paint job it gets.
>>
>>46400632
> Quality production does not always mean quality product.

I never stated that it did. It is however an indicator that someone put time and effort into the material components as part of the game design, and one can hope that the same care was invested in the rules design. But nothing is guaranteed. It's why I wrote "After that you get into rules mechanics, genre, theme, etc which are totally subjective."

Again 'one person's favorite rules are another person's least favorite.' You can talk about well designed mechanics, favorite theme, favorite genre, etc - but if it doesn't appeal to someone else, then they're never to see it in a positive light (which is often what people use as their criteria for a 'good' game). It's why we get so many "Stop liking what I don't like" shitposts at times. Personally, for whatever reason I'm just not a fan of 'Dominion' - I have a number of other deck builders. But I just cannot into Dominion. That said, I also wouldn't run around telling people it's a bad game. Same with Agricola - I like Euros including some heavier ones like Archipelago - but I just have no interest in Agricola.
>>
Friendly reminder that playing board games on a table with a recessed surface (geekchic/boardgametables etc) is garbage. Just because expensive tables have it as an excuse to charge you bunches for a geek targeted product doesn't mean it make any sense from an ergonomics or practicality perspective.
>>
>>46400972
So essentially you're saying "I look at all of the parts of them game to decide whether it will be a good game". Cool.
>>
>>46398953
If your group was shaky in Eclipse it will be the same story on eminent domain.
>>
>>46399121
>A zombie themed deckbuilder

If you were in charge of purchases at a company, you'd be the guy that buys "synergistic platforms"
>>
>>46401697

I didn't write that very well. Eclipse is more like the upper boundary in terms of length. We don't play it often but it's manageable for us. Wouldn't want to exceed it though.
>>
>>46401615
Right! I mean what kind of gamer would give a shit about having a place to rest their forearms without worrying about disturbing the game board or various other game resources? If the game state gets screwed up - fuck those guys. And it's totally not about having a way to cover up a game in progress so that the gaming table can be used for other purposes until the game resumes later. It's not like board gamers actually have relationships or families. And what sort of uncouth putz would actually drop a gaming piece or roll a dice off a table without a lip? No one I know would be so brazenly careless!

Thanks 'Useless Snap Judgement' Guy! Bravo on increasing the signal to noise ratio!
>>
>>46401697
>If your group was shaky in Eclipse it will be the same story on eminent domain.

Que??? Considering Eclipse is a 'Space 4x' style game with a lot more rules and take 2 to 3 times longer to play out than a comparable 4 player game of Eminent Domain (a deck builder), how do you figure that piece of advice?

>>46401753
>If you were in charge of purchases at a company, you'd be the guy that buys "synergistic platforms"

Shit! Quick! Throw a tarp or something over the SharePoint Servers...

<whistles innocently and looks totally casual.>
>>
>>46403519

First of all, Christy Mora has a name, thank you very much. Dropping dice off the table is no big deal, they aren't hard to find. What I don't want is some asshole spilling his drink and having it all funneled towards the middle of the game surface, trapped between the banks this awful table has created.
>>
File: ryanschlaferfinefurniture_5.jpg (183 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ryanschlaferfinefurniture_5.jpg
183 KB, 1024x768
>>46403714
That's why you have a "no food, no beverage, no fun allowed at the table" board game night rule. I mean it's totally inconceivable that someone could come up with a simple solution - like a cup holder or sliding cup holder that would mean beverages would never have to be set up on the lip of the table or in the gaming area...
>>
File: pockets1.jpg (302 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
pockets1.jpg
302 KB, 2048x1536
>>46404320
"But Myron, what if you have more than 2 people on game night who are thirsty?" I have no idea...
>>
File: ryanschlaferfinefurniture_9.jpg (127 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ryanschlaferfinefurniture_9.jpg
127 KB, 1024x768
>>46403714
And of course you'd always (ALWAYS) have to use the recessed gaming area in order to play. Any other way of playing would simply be 'Bad Wrong Fun!' and there'll be none of that here.
>>
>>46399877
>time track you move along when taking actions
Oh, yeah like Patchwork. I also just realized that you're describing something very similar to a rondelle, like in Glen More. That would definitely work.

>that could be jarring to playerd
I think heavy euro gamers tend not to get confused by that so much, or at least know to be mindful of it.

Funny, your example reminds me of Kanban. You should definitely check out a runthrough of that.
>>
>>46399863
1. Play it before you buy it
2. Ask people whose opinion you trust, and who have played it
3. Publisher with a good track record of making stuff you like (honestly an extention of #2)

Any game can be a good game for someone out there. There's no set of must-haves that make a game good
>>
>>46404994
thanks, I'll check those out
>>
Just got done with my weekly game night, tried Star realms for the first time as well as forbidden desert, and sentinels of the multiverse with other people rather than solo for the first time. Star realms was alright, but forbidden desert and sentinels of the multiverse were definitely a lot of fun. We rarely play co-ops so it was a nice change of pace.

Went to anime boston last weekend and grabbed all 3 of the games we played tonight, as well as pixel tactics, welcome to the dungeon, and mottanai. After playing it, I can't believe I waited this long to get forbidden desert, and I'm disappointed with myself that I let the art style dissuade me from getting sentinels. Both are great games that I can see playing a lot.
Do you store your games horizontally or vertically?
>Answer the question of the guy above you. Even if you don't know the answer. Especially then.
The last question I saw is what's your worst case of buyers remorse. Definitely Dice Crawl. It looked like fun when I saw it and it was one of the few times I picked up a game without knowing anything about it. That or Golem Arcana, because I've never had anyone to play it with.
>General board game discussion!
Are there any must have expansions for cosmic encounter? I've been looking into it for my next game purchase, and was wondering if there were any expansions that drastically improved the game. I know opinions on the game are sometimes mixed around here, but maybe there's an expansion that even people that don't like the game much enjoy?
>>
>>46407728
Other than just awesome races, which is largely up to taste, the best addition any of the cosmic expansions adds is the reward deck, which I THINK is in the first expansion, but I could be wrong. The most recent expansion also adds a bunch of fantastic cards to the reward deck, so I'd also make that one a priority.
>>
>>46404320
Literally who has a problem with resting their forearms without disturbing game pieces?
Do you really have your rug set up like that under your shrine to geek targeted bad taste? Blech.
>>
>>46404337
Is that a table that only exists to hold cup holders? What am I looking at?
>>
File: received_10209029366273614.jpg (250 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
received_10209029366273614.jpg
250 KB, 2048x1152
First simulated ti3 game finished. Got all the rules for every option we're playing with today down as best as we can and got everything set up for our 7playeralldaygame today. With as much fun as we had playing with just two people simulating everything between 7 artificial players I can't imagine how much more fun it's going to be with everyone actually playing. Any last minute suggestions or tips or tricks?
>>
File: Twilight Imperium Tech chart.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Imperium Tech chart.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46408558
Having a few player aids printed and ready to go can help speed up play a lot.
>>
File: TI3 races and tech.png (92 KB, 1137x749) Image search: [Google]
TI3 races and tech.png
92 KB, 1137x749
>>46408719
Hope you have a great game. :)
>>
File: 20160402_023141.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160402_023141.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>46408719
>>46408726

We actually thought of that today and got double sided copies laminated with the tech tree on one side and the domain counter descriptions/leader type descriptions&interactions on the other.
>>
>>46408726

For strategy, since everyone is pretty much on the same page as far as newness is concerned, we sent race specific strategy guides and the option to read them if someone wants to and a mandatory 30 minute basic information and instruction video lol
>>
>>46408861
>>46408888
Nice!
>>
>>46408365
That's the underside of the table with the sliding cup holders mounted.
>>
>>46408888
Throw us some pics between each round!
>>
>>46409492
Seconding because my group doesn't play anything heavier than TtR. I need to FEEL anon!
>>
>>46409527
It sounds less gay with a comma.
>>
>>46409492
>>46409527

I'm going to drop pics and have a general play by play of the happenings. Only thing we're sort of on the fence about including are space mines. Personally I don't care for them and I think they don't add much to the game and the general consensus seems to be that they cost too much and do too little for the extra stuff people would have to learn about them. What do you guys think?
>>
>>46407728

Bruges, Pixel Tactics, Love Letter, Elder Sign, RftG

Thinking about Lewis & Clark and Five Tribes.

Is Lewis & Clark really worth it or is it a one play game with little replayability?

>Do you store your games horizontally or vertically?

Horizontally, always.
>>
Got a 8-player game of Eclipse (with Rise of the Ancients xpac) tomorrow morning, pretty keen. How much time does the simultaneous turn variant shave off, does anyone know? I read about it's slight nerfing of research-heavy strats since you can't research twice but that doesn't bother me since turtling is boring anyway. I'm almost certain someone is going to get salty about it tomorrow but I'll just make sure they know what they're getting into and cross that bridge when we come to it.

>>46410561
>Is Lewis & Clark really worth it or is it a one play game with little replayability?
Never heard of it, but one of the first results is a review titled: Lewis & Clark - A great game at least once.

>ask a question
In addition to Simul-turns asked above, how often do you play a goofy strategy in a game because its more fun even if it means you're less likely to win?
>>
> What did you play this week?
Played Battle Star: Gallactica, Welcome to the Dungeon and Ghost Stories.
Bought Cyclades for a friend. No plans for now, haven't found a game that would take my heart.
Is there a lack of heavier/longer fantasy themed games for more than
4 players or is it me? There's no
a distinctive lack of a fantasy TI3 setting (though there was
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25/battlemist )

Is there no way to buttfuck elves using dwarves with a full table?
>>Answer the question of the guy above you. Even if you don't know the answer. Especially then.
>>46410695
> How much time does the simultaneous turn variant shave off, does anyone know?
Yes
> how often do you play a goofy strategy in a game because its more fun even if it means you're less likely to win?
Quite often - sometimes I play to win, sometimes to do something fun, sometimes both (can I win doing only doing something stupid?)

I once tried drawing only the minimum amount of faction cards in Imperial Settlers... didn't turn out so well.

Tried air only/ground or one building only combinations in StarCraft or quick tech strategies just for the hell of it.

In Last Night on Earth I often skip strategy and just try to act more zombie like or get more zombie-movie vibes.
>>
>>46396565
> How do you like player interaction in your board games? Non-existant or an essential part of the game? Indirect (ie "stealing" and/or blocking worker placement spots or whatever) or direct conflict?
I don't mind low player interaction but non-existant is a bit low. The lowest player interaction I can take (and just barely) is Imperial Settlers. Indirect player interaction (i.e taking spots) is fine - I'm fine as long as the game doesn't devlove into "multiplayer solitare".
> With the AsmodEA price hike starting to go live, how's everyone feel about it?
I buy either through local webshops (I'm in Poland) or though amazon so I think I'll be fine.

Right?

Right?!
> What's your worst case of buyer's remorse?
The table I bought right now ( ._.) shit's too big, yo.
> Do you store your games horizontally or vertically?
Since I started making inserts - horizontally.
>>
>>46411312
Asmodee NA > AsmodeUS

The plot thickens.
>>
>>46395779
>>What did you play this week?
Mage Knight, solo.
>>Recent purchases or purchase plans?
Premium sleeves for one copy of legendary encounters, probably aliens
>>
>>46411858
>Mage Knight, solo.
My afro-american coplayer.
>>
>>46409005
I'd bump my knees on that set up so hard, but I'm a klutz.
>>
>>46410695
>Goofy suboptimal strategies?

Virtually always, I have more fun winning with a strategy that tells a better story and my game group has never once achieved anything close to a long term or near optimized strategy. Optimization and game theory has been a fairly large portion of my masters degree though.
>>
>>46410900
Heavier/longer games with more than 4 players typically play terribly, TI3 not excepted.
>>
>>46411312
>low player interaction
>Imperial Settlers
I'm sorry, what? Clearly you must be mistaken and thinking of some other game. Settlers of Catan, perhaps?

Frankly if your games of Imperial Settlers look like multiplayer solitaire then you're being idiots and Japan is always winning.
>>
How you can tell someone doesn't into strategy in board games :

Dominion has little/no player interaction!

Plasma missiles are OP in Eclipse!

Carcassonne needs the "hand of tiles" rule to have meaningful player decisions!

I think caverna is the deeper game of the group because I don't have to stress out about feeding my family.

Pandemic is a difficult game because I lose most of the time!

Anyone have any more examples?
>>
>>46412677
As is right. Glorious Nippon will always come out on top.
>>
>>46412677
Well being an idiot is always a possibility.

I always try to play not much interactively and try to get up a engine for getting a lot of cards and win this way.

Even if somebody puts a wrench in my engine in my view it's almost always better (unless the effect is "free") to raze your own card than to raze someone else's.

I literally don't know why you singled out Japanase - Egyptians seem to be much better at this "turtling" style of interrupted play.

I'm probably missing a lot. Any tips?
>>
>Eating on a covered geek chic table
>"Why does it sound like a drum made of plywood when I set my plate down?"
>Quality construction
>>
>>46397726
One way to avoid the counting up tediousness as in >>46399134 would be to make it more tactile. Tokens or small cubes would be pretty easy to count up quickly. Or heck, make a four way scale in the middle of the board or something, to use weights literally.

>>46399877
>play order
Again, tactility. Plastic order markers would be pretty nice to have. (largest pawn goes first, etc.) As for tie breakers, probably compare resources, fewest goes first. If there's still a tie, then let the player that has the least overall wins/unluckiest in any game go first.
>>
>>46412829
>I literally don't know why you singled out Japanase - Egyptians seem to be much better at this "turtling" style of interrupted play.
Japanese unique buildings are extremely strong, at the cost of being razeable by other players. So Japan has to spend precious extra resources to defend their shit. If nobody is attacking anybody, then Japan is the default victor assuming equal skill levels.
>>
>>46412910
tl:dr
"My collection of nits - let me show them to you. I picked them myself."
>>
>>46412735
>he's in first place in power grid! that means he's winning!
>>
>>46413019
I just bought an emissary on the cheap from a guy who was moving (more because I needed the table and it was too cheap too pass on than wanting any of its gaming features). It's really a sub par dining table (I understand that's not its main purpose) especially for the cost of a new one. I always see people saying "but any such quality table would be so expensive!" which is ridiculous unless you're looking at mastercraft tables that contain literally 3 times the amount of wood. Saving games in progress is nice but the arm rails are fairly uncomfortable and make it difficult to pick up cards on. The felt is nice except it makes it impossible to write on the table for the games that require it and even then a bolt of this kind of felt that would fit the table can be had for less than twenty bucks.

Saving games in progress really isn't worth the money or the multitude of small headaches that come with a lower clearance table, further to reach playing area, lower quality dining room table and several other problems above (for me).

I get the appeal, people like to spend money on their hobbies and having a geek chic SCREAMS that the owner likes to spend a lot of money on board games but it's still a rather expensive, tacky item to take up so much prominence in one's home.
>>
>>46413107
Hehe, I always say that so sometimes people will try to block other people rather than take the time to figure out how much spare capacity or cash I have lying around. It doesn't work so well anymore.
>>
>>46412735
Eh. None of those make good one liners (never played Eclipse). Those are really just good conversation starters (the Pandemic one is weirdly philosophical and I can see strong arguments coming from both sides).
>>46413107
Ha. I've only played once and we got into an argument over who was actually winning in the final step. We wound up collectively blocking the guy in first without realizing the only experienced player had a sneaky 3-city final move that won him the game.
>>
>>46413187
I'm not looking to buy a pre-fab. I'm looking to design my own table. Which means I get to use my choice of wood, features, etc. And it's primary purpose would be that of a gaming table. The reason I want a recessed area with a cover is that my wife has a number of cats - all of which love to rearrange gaming pieces. At the very least I'm going to create a shallow box with a sliding plex lid that I can use to store solo games in during play.
>>
>>46413187
Geek Chic is expensive because of all the labor involved. Now that doesn't imply that its necessarily better quality, even with the most brain dead of labor, if it takes enough time it will run up the cost of any product. Wood carpentry done in places like Mexico and Asia is still good stuff, they essentially have an assembly line format with each worker doing their individual task. Most of your money for Geek Chic doesn't go to design or materials but just to pay a bunch of people's labor from Washington. You are better off just getting normal furniture and then modifying to fit your needs if you care about getting the most out of your $$$.
>>
>>46413618
Having seen their products (and price tags) up close at conventions like PAX, I'm personally not impressed with their products. The craftsmanship is nice, but the materials are 'OK' at a steep price tag.
>>
>>46403519
>Right! I mean what kind of gamer would give a shit about having a place to rest their forearms without worrying about disturbing the game board or various other game resources?

there is a crazy invention called a chair, maybe you have heard of it. and unless you live in a studio apartment or other small living quarters with a single table such a recessed feature is unneeded.
>>
>>46413958
No, unneeded by you perhaps, but not by everyone. As I noted earlier, I have issues with not being able to leave games setup and not have them disturbed by some of the furry inhabitants of my house. As for chairs, this in no way counters the observation that gamers routinely rest their forearms on the table. Chairs with arm-rests are often a pain in the ass to get up close to the table if their arm-rests are the same height as the table itself.
>>
Why does it seem like every board game has the trope of "a few points now, or many points later"?
>>
>..purchase plans?

Tempted..
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1538673930/kharnage-hell-yearghh>
>>
>>46416009

I'm tempted to go in on this one...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outerlimitgames/tau-ceti-planetary-crisis-0/description
>>
>>46416009
I'm backing Kharnage, yeah. I've no illusions that it's a simple, silly filler / icebreaker game, but I like how it's a distinctly American-styled filler game. Pretty much all the filler I know of are Euro-styled, so there are few filler games that my American leaning group actually enjoy.

>>46416289
I just can't even manage to read that entire page. I don't know what it is, it just actively repulses my attention.
>>
>>46416650
>I don't know what it is, it just actively repulses my attention.

That's OK. I've just got a thing for 'Space 4x'.
>>
>>46416825
The funny thing is, me too. Still can't even be arsed to care about Tau Ceti, though. Can't put my finger on it, it just fails to catch my eye.
>>
File: evolution climate.jpg (379 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
evolution climate.jpg
379 KB, 500x500
>>46398202
>2. I've got some ideas for a game based loosely on evolution. I daresay there are a few evolution themed games kicking about - does bgg recommend any?

North Star's Evolution game is great.
>>
Kind of getting sold on Battlelore. Which of the boxes / expansions are considered essential?
>>
>>46410561
I like Discoveries more than Lewis and Clark, but that could partly be because I tend to play with people who aren't hugely into board games and it's easier to learn.

thematically it loses a bit, but it's a much more streamlined experience than L&C and I appreciate that.
>>
Page 10? This is why we can't have nice things.

Also, which unexploited franchise/IP would you like to see in a boardgame?
>>
>>46420790
>Also, which unexploited franchise/IP would you like to see in a boardgame?

Armored Core

Preferably as a Leader series game or an X-wing knockoff.

Fromsoft is testing the waters with a Bloodborne boardgame. If it does well maybe they'll greenlight further adaptations.
>>
>>46420790
Tribes
>>
>>46421090
I loved classic Tribes. But how would that even work? I can see area control, but the vidya was such a fast paced and fluid game.
>>
>>46420951
>Armored Core
Ma nigga.

I'd also love to see a Front Mission tactical minis game, with all the customization options for the wanzers, pick chassis, legs, arms, payload, utility backpack...
I spent more time in-game buying and comparing parts to customize my wanzers than actually playing the scenarios.

And yeah, I know, Battletech did it first, but the setting is great.
>>
File: 4[1].png (13 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
4[1].png
13 KB, 640x480
>>46420951
>Armored Core
Ohhhhhhhh that's a good un. Oh I want that now.

Can I add Carnage Heart into this mecha love fest? Get some action programming in there. Customize the mech, then program it, then send it out to fight...
>>
>>46421497
Yeah, it's a terrible idea, I'm just kidding.
As much as I love Tribes 2 there's few franchises that would be worse ideas as a board game.
>>
>>46422225
>Front Mission tactical minis game
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Heavy Gear is close.
>>
>>46422350
Good, I thought I was losing my sanity there for a moment. What we really need is a board game based on Leisure Suit Larry. <Runs for cover...>
>>
>>46422675
Katawa Shoujo: The Board Game
>>
>>46420790
Okami!
I don't even know how it could be done, but man, the artwork was glorious.
>>
>>46420790
The Wire: The Board Game.
Make it a market euro.
>>
>>46395779
Sheriff of Nottingham, King of New York, Avalon, Cosmic Encounter, and Coup. Was a pretty good week for gaming.

Still waiting on my copy of Lords of Waterdeep to arrive, hope to slowly get my D&D loving group to play euros.
>>
>>46422838
I can see that as being a bit of resource management, trying to save followers and your techniques upgrading as you gain more and more. Dunno how you'd multiplayer it.
>>
File: BGG Euros.png (659 KB, 992x1240) Image search: [Google]
BGG Euros.png
659 KB, 992x1240
>>46422943
Bump...
>>
>Regarding box size:
>Roxley's primary objective is to create games that you will keep. With so many awesome games coming out each year, we believe that respecting your shelf space makes the hobby more sustainable for you. We believe that it also makes our products more attractive, as we are not asking you to give up a massive amount of space in order for you keep our games on your shelf. This belief has been hard fought, as we have weathered major criticism from some retailers and other publishers suggesting that the box should be larger to support the MSRP.

>The response from our customers has been a lot different. We have had many people state through BGG reviews and through direct communication with us that they love how our games are packaged appropriately. We believe that gamers today don't want massive boxes of air, and that time of massive boxes will eventually come to an end. Therefore, we will continue this campaign and package Brass in a box sized appropriate for the game's components. This will likely be the size we used for Steampunk Rally.

Why are these guys so based? Like seriously they just showed up out of nowhere last year and started putting out some of the most polished games in recent memory.
>>
>>46424392
Put seven wonders in the lightest category, it's as light as dominion and only a touch more complex than splendor.
>>
>>46424630
I'm not the original author of the image. I would have put 7 Wonders in the light category, and Castles of Burgundy in the medium category myself.
>>
>>46424630
>>46424746
>>46424392
7 Wonders is perfect in the medium weight category. It definitely isn't a gateway, like all the other ones (Splendor is way lighter than 7W).

I was thinking CoB is midweight too, but since I've never played it I wasn't going to say anything
>>46424612
Brass has always been a small box. I specifically remember putting it away last time we played and remarking how tightly packed and well organized the box was. Not that I'm saying they're pulling a fast one, but they could've just said "we're using the same size box it always had" instead of fishing for compliments by "taking a stance"
>>
>>46425025
I'll admit that I've never seen a box of Brass, considering how rare it is, so I can't really say anything about that. But I can say that both Steampunk Rally and Super Motherload have fantastic boxes. I'm staring right now at my copy of Nations, and man, this shit has got to stop. Super Motherload has barely any fewer components than Nations, and yet maybe a sixth of the volume. I know Nations is an egregious example, but it's good to see people who not only refuse to embiggen their games but actively try to shrink their boxes as much as possible.
>>
>>46425392
Agreed - I've got nations too, and it's a space hog. People have even bitched that games like Splendor waste a lot of space in the box.
>>
>>46420951
>>46422225
>>46422294
>>46422415
It's a little more anime than Front Mission / Carnage Heart, but anybody getting interested / paying attention to Frame Wars? It's an upcoming L99 game arriving at some point in the future, two players controlling teams of 3 mechs in duels apparently.

http://fontesmakua.deviantart.com/journal/About-Frame-Wars-392784745
>>
File: N9lAcwu.jpg (840 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
N9lAcwu.jpg
840 KB, 3264x2448
>>46425717
Pic related. I took Splendor out of the box for portability. Chips in a cosmetics pouch, cards in the deckbox that also carries Machi Koro, Coup and Hanabi. Most boxes are a damn waste of space, regardless of the inserts.
>>
>>46424612
Why can't FFG learn something from these guys?

So, what's a good compact solution for TI3? I'm never taking that box out of my house.
>>
>>46429349
I started with a Plano box for all the ships, but after that there's still a ton of stuff. Especially if you have the 2 expansions.
>>
Bye page 10
>>
>>46411858
>>46412397
>Mage Knight

I keep hearing good things about this game but it's pretty expensive. $130 Aussiebux. Worth it?
>>
File: domek-na-starcraft.png (3 MB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
domek-na-starcraft.png
3 MB, 1800x1200
>>46429349
I prefer big boxes. I can make my own inserts so that game setup is minimized.
>>
>>46433145
For some games, that makes perfect sense. But there are way to many games of late where the contents take up maybe 30% of the box and it isn't a game where there's going to be a bunch of expansions added to the core set. The earlier mentioned 'Splendor' is a good example.
>>
>tfw I just kickstarted 10 games
and I don't even know the name of one of them
>>
>>46433908
American published Machi Koro is also a big offender. Japanese Machi Koro is fine. Who the hell made the decision to "fix" the better box?
>>
>>46433921
You might have a gaming addiction if...

>>46433978
Part of the problem seems to stem from the notion that if a game or expansion costs X then the box should be 'Y sized' or bigger to indicate the value of the contents - even if the actual contents don't warrant a box that size. And to some extent we the consumers are to blame. It's the psychology of salesmanship. Consumers have a habit of making impulse buys based on eye-candy perceived value, and the size of the box can help convince you that the contents are worth the price tag.
>>
>>46434216
>You might have a gaming addiction if...
In my defense, I only paid $24 for them. It was a minigame collection; the one I didn't know the name of was a last minute stretch goal bonus.
>>
>>46434216
>And to some extent we the consumers are to blame
I'd like to think board gamers are above that though.
>>
>>46434216
This
And then, as soon as you open the box to find that the components do not match your expectations, you get an instant case of >>46398941 buyer's remorse. The look of dissappointment on my face musta been priceless. Then I played the game...

Wish I'd gotten Citadels instead, like I'd planned.
>Oh but it's so pretty!
Fuck that. Lesson learned. Hopefully.
>>
>>46432879
If you think you'll play it solo, and/or you don't mind long downtime while waiting for other players, and you wouldn't rather have the Star Trek themed adaptation of the game due later this year, then yeah, it's pretty great.
>>
>>46434306
Ah-ha! You aren't really one of us! Guards! GUARDS! ;)

>>46434314
>I'd like to think board gamers are above that though.

Hardly...

>>46434322
Citadels is a lot of fun with the groups I game with. Machi Koro is apparently much better with the expansion, but I don't own either and can't say for sure.
>>
>>46425025
7 wonders is marginally more difficult to learn than dominion and far easier to develop advanced strategy for.
>>
>>46434734
Machi Koro is craps with a modern board game theme. Like they took a tiny bit of Catan and a tiny bit of Tableau builders as a theme for a simple gambling game.
>>
>>46434365
>Star Trek themed Mage Knight

Oh God, why?
>>
>>46433978
>>46434365

box is big for visibility on the store shelf
>>
>>46436010
And while it plays into the psychology of advertising - it still doesn't do much for us as board game consumers.

I know, maybe if they include a smaller box in the main box then we don't have to dedicate 18 extra shelving units to holding all our games at home. Doubtless I'll get to pay even more for this 'value added' service.
>>
>>46435811
Because WotC.
IF have(License) THEN mustDoRetardedThingsWith(Lisence)
>>
>>46436137
>it still doesn't do much for us as board game consumers.

Yes it does, it makes you buy the game. see >>46434322
>>
>>46436666
Except that anon indicates that he bought those games online. Where box size doesn't matter. In fact, for an online seller box size is a straight detriment.
>>
>>46436666
Well, it is good for them, then. Shelf space is at a premium for board game collectors.

The size of the box wasn't a factor, I bought it online, so I never even saw a box. It was the artwork and the current overhype that made me choose it.
When the game arrived I did not expect it to be 12'' by 12'', and when I opened the box it was very obvious that it didn't need to be that large.
>>
File: IMG_20160403_135534.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160403_135534.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
Absolutely disgusting.

If the boards in Nations had a crease in them and the box for Super Motherload was maybe a centimeter higher then the entirety of Nations would fit in a Super Motherload sized box.
>>
I don't mind having extra box space.
Leaves room for expansions and homebrew component upgrades.

Chances are most of the people here complaining about bloated boxes have tons of expansions in separate boxes sitting around taking up space.
>>
>>46437126
>Chances are most of the people here complaining about bloated boxes have tons of expansions in separate boxes sitting around taking up space.
(Poster of >>46437019 ) The only game I own that is in more than one box is BattleCON. And that's just due to sheer quantities of everything.

I would still prefer to have smaller boxes. Like there is a zero percent chance that my box of Nations will even get half full, even after three expansions. There's just too much space, and the game itself has very small components.
>>
File: 916djx7QfAL._SL1500_.jpg (226 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
916djx7QfAL._SL1500_.jpg
226 KB, 1500x1000
>>46437226

Counter-example

The Coup box won't even hold it's own cards if you sleeve them.
>>
Should I get Letters from Whitechapel or Fury of Dracula?
>>
>>46437745
Not even a contest, Fury.
Unless you plan to play with your grandparents, in which whitechapel's more minimalist design might help.
>>
>>46437745

Whitechapel
>>
File: 1449894682726.png (285 KB, 522x679) Image search: [Google]
1449894682726.png
285 KB, 522x679
>>46437764
>>46437767
>>
>>46437833

0-4 you buy FoD
5-9 you buy LtW
Doubles you buy both.
Triples you buy both & Mr. Jack
>>
>>46437934
Rollan
>>
>>46437986
>LtW
Good luck with whatever that stands for.
>>
>>46437708
Hell, the problem with Coup is that it won't even hold all the cards if you get a set with extras. Doh! There's a game that needs a slightly bigger box. Perhaps Coup boxes could assimilate some of the Nations box space by having... you know... a coup?
>>
>>46438494
Coup went and overcompensated by making the G54 box colossal.
>>
File: earth reborn.jpg (39 KB, 600x382) Image search: [Google]
earth reborn.jpg
39 KB, 600x382
>>46437708
i fucking hate games that do this. Some games have really well planned box inserts that hold everything and keep everything separate.... until you sleeve the cards and everything goes to shit. Lords of Waterdeep is a violator. Best box insert ever goes to Earth Reborn though. Fits and separates everything PLUS accommodates sleeved cards. Pretty damn good game too.
>>
File: OgreGarageFilledKS--800x600.jpg (155 KB, 800x523) Image search: [Google]
OgreGarageFilledKS--800x600.jpg
155 KB, 800x523
>>46438731
OGRE Designer's edition did a great job of organizing both the playing pieces and the maps and extra hexes.
>>
>>46438558
On the bright side - you can now get all of your Coup *AND* G54 stuff inton the G54 box...
>>
>>46439155
>ogre
How is that, by the way? I've had the $3 version of it laying around forever and ever and never actually got around to playing it.
>>
>>46436605
Since when does Wizards own mage Knight? Or are they just essentially making a clone?
>>
>>46437745
Lfw, unless you prefer the Dracula theme. Fury is way clunkier and I'm fairly certain the only reason fury is ever regarded higher is because it was an out of print grail game for so long.
>>
>>46439388
He's getting WoTC mixed up with WizKids. WizKids has the Star Trek license and is who published Mage Knight and is publishing Star Trek: Frontiers, which is purportedly Star Trek themed Mage Knight.
>>
>>46439220
Nostalgic garbage.
>>
>>46439440
>been assuming wizkids was a WotC subsidiary for a decade.
Well okay then, now I have to split up my vague distaste.
>>
>>46439613
Nooope, they're owned by NECA, another big toy manufacturer conglomerate, not Hasbro.
>>
File: 1388531759448.jpg (265 KB, 798x650) Image search: [Google]
1388531759448.jpg
265 KB, 798x650
>>46439220
I like it a lot. It's a classic hex and chit style war game with easy to understand combat mechanics. The points balance isn't always perfect in larger scenarios, but it's a lot of fun. Add in the additional rules for terrain, etc - and it has the ability to play out some great campaign driven scenarios. The fact that it's easy to teach, and then a lot of fun to explore different strategies and scenarios or switching sides and replaying scenarios gives it a lot of replay value. One doesn't even have to use the OGREs - straight up tank and infantry battles are a lot of fun. The 3D components were just frosting on the cake so to speak.
>>
File: heavy-object-565c632b197b1.jpg (585 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
heavy-object-565c632b197b1.jpg
585 KB, 1920x1080
>>46439725
Out of curiosity, how comfortable are OGRE fans - old and new - with being associated with pic related?
>>
>>46440330
Considering that I've been playing since the game was released back in 70's and I have no idea what that anime is - couldn't tell you.
>>
>>46440330
But they're piloted.
>>
Scenario: you and your closest X friends (X being the optimal number of people for your chosen game) are all very interested and invested in playing the next game you choose. They all put aside the time and will be completely focused on playing the game until it's complete. What game do you choose to play?
>>
File: Risk-Legacy-Undone.jpg (138 KB, 950x664) Image search: [Google]
Risk-Legacy-Undone.jpg
138 KB, 950x664
>>46442576

Risk Legacy
again.
>>
>>46442576
I'd go with one of the medium or long scenarios for Archipelago.
>>
File: check your 6 jet age.jpg (554 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
check your 6 jet age.jpg
554 KB, 2048x1536
>>46442576

/hwg/ reporting in

Check Your 6: Jet Age
Been moderately obsessed with it lately.
It's somewhat similar to X-wing, though with greater detail and realism. Also scenarios that are a hell of a lot more interesting than anything you see in X-wing.
>>
>>46443545
Nice, how are the minis? I can't tell if those are pre-painted or not...
>>
>>46443359
I just ordered archipelago without knowing too much about it outside of the basics. What do you like about it specifically?
>>
File: bild028.jpg (183 KB, 1000x612) Image search: [Google]
bild028.jpg
183 KB, 1000x612
>>46444805

It's a rulebook + a set of campaign & scenario books. It doesn't have an associated line of minis, but it's pretty easy to track down appropriately scaled jets both painted and unpainted.

Basically you just decide on the scale and hex size you want to use. If you want to go cheap you can get sprues of small scale jets from shapeways or wherever. Painting those is dead simple. If you want to go bigger or pre-painted there's a huge market of 1/200 scale aircraft already out there. And there are probably plenty of options in between which might take slightly more searching.
>>
File: 71Tc3LUoZqL._SY355_.jpg (39 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
71Tc3LUoZqL._SY355_.jpg
39 KB, 355x355
>>46395779
>>What did you play this week?

Played Dead of Winter. Then sorta played Roll for the Galaxy.

Dead of Winter went great, we won and it turned out that there was no traitor. Although we nearly exiled two people (at different times) for being shady. We felt like we kicked the games ass, but after looking at it we realized we barely got by. Won on the last turn. One Crossroad card could have activated (but didn't) that might have caused an overrun by zombies at the colony.

Roll for the Galaxy was a bust. Couldn't understand how to really play the game. But it did look cool enough that I'm considering getting it.
>>
>>46445267

Going with the 1/200 diecast stuff would be pretty weird, from what I've read.

1/285th is more common.
>>
Well, Sunday is drawing to a close. What did everyone play this weekend?

>race for the galaxy
>sheriff of nottingham
>manila

Wanted to play eldritch horror but it didn't happen. Happy about manila, though.
>>
This has been bothering me and I don't know exactly what to do.
Story time:

>Be me
>Make games casually but none of them are very good
>In 2012 I make one that my friends seem to like so I print up nicer components and formalize the rules
>I called it "Space is the Place"

>After printing it and testing it some I start to take it to game stores' board game nights in the Dallas/Fort Worth area
>The game is about a group of people that have to deal with some randomly generated objective before they can escape planet earth on a space ship
>I base the action system on my favorite game of the time, Troyes. You roll the number of people you control + 1 in dice and use those dice on your turn to perform actions.
>There are locations in the town around your spaceship (which is used as a sort of central base) where you collect food, water, and other supplies needed for survival (shown as a deck you draw from at each location), moving to these locations has the chance to harm your player depending on the scenario.
>Each location also has event cards shuffled in that can trigger based when you find them
>A location in the middle of the board called "The Crossroads" is literally just a stack of event cards you can choose to trigger
>Not only do you have a main objective based on the scenario for that game but there's also a sub-objective that is drawn each turn that can help or harm your party if it is or isn't completed
>There were only 5 scenarios that I completed before I started playing it more often: Radiation and mutants, government agents, rage-like virus, alien invasion, and zombies

>After playing it some, my friend who is going to BGGcon asks me if he can borrow it and demo it there
>I say sure, I didn't think much of the game and had moved on to other projects anyway
>I get it back and its fairly damaged with a good amount of missing components, my friend said he only got to play it twice with a full group
>Zombie scenario both times
>>
>>46428052
> I took Splendor out of the box for portability. Most boxes are a damn waste of space

They are wasting space with those boxes like they were a bunch of... space cowboys or something.
>>
>>46446905
So after all of that, what is the problem you are facing?
>>
>>46446905 continued

>Not too worried, I shove the game into my closet and I haven't played it since

>be me in 2015
>Hear about dead of winter but not interested because it sounds like a cheap zombie cash in and I don't care too much for the zombie theme anyway

>A few weeks ago at a game night I bring up my game and someone is interested so I go into the rules in detail
>"Have you played Dead of Winter?"
>Look up the rules. Wow they're incredibly similar
>Ask to play the game with my friend who has a copy.
>The games are virtually identical save for Dead of Winter only has one type of scenario (thematically) and the event deck is moved to something that just happens every turn
>Look up designer
>He's local, about 15 minutes away from where I live and active in the local gaming community

The games are virtually identical and I don't know what to do, do I bring it up to Plaid Hat Games? do I post this story to gaming websites with higher visibility? do I wallow in self pity that I don't have the board game designer cred that I thin I deserve?
>>
>>46446905

>I don't know exactly what to do

Grow up.

>blah blah blah someone I thought was a friend is an untrustworthy, disrespectful cunt

You paid a low price for this reality check. You should be ecstatic to have learned this before it cost you anything important.
>>
>>46447111
I didn't care about the prototype at all, I should have said I was continuing the post.
>>
>>46447097

Plagiarism is rampant in game design and absolutely everything else. Get over it.

Next time copyright it and have it published. If you don't, you have no grounds for complaint when someone else does.

>b-but I don't know how to do those things

Oh well.
Welcome to 2016: Hard Mode Capitalism
>>
>>46447253
Copyright is automatic and you can't protect game rules by any legal mechanism in the United States.
>>
>>46447295
>you can't protect game rules by any legal mechanism in the United States.

That explains all the Love Letter reskins...
>>
>>46447097
First question: does it bother you if your work was plagiarised and profited upon?

Second question: does it bother you to the extent that it's worthwhile for you to kick up a fuss, either to expose that guy or just to get the credit you deserve?

If the answer to either of those is "no", then you can just get on with life knowing that you made a game that people are enjoying.

If it does bother you, you really don't have much of a leg to stand on anyway if you didn't get copyrights .Plus mechanics are copied in games all the time. The most you will do by jumping up and down is to slur the publisher or get some recognition, which seems like too much fuss for me.

Have you tried contacting the designer to discuss the issue? Maybe he wouldn't mind giving you some of the credit for the idea.
>>
>>46447357
I'm fairly sure most of those are either made by the guy that originally made love letter or licensed rethemes from the publisher of Love Letter.
>>
>>46447097

You could always just write the guy and talk to him about it. Maybe he'll want to publish some of your other game ideas. Would be worth it even if you didn't get a dime out of the deal, just to get your name out into the industry.
>>
>>46447379
You're definitely right.
I started typing up a pretty angry letter to the "designer" of Dead of Winter that included pictures of groups playing the prototype and the design documents I printed for the game but thought I should probably cool off first and so posted here after a couple beers.
Honestly, the most that would come out of this would be a negative light cast on Plaid Hat which isn't something I even care too much about.

Its not even a few mechanics though, its like the whole game with a few somewhat cosmetic elements stripped. Even some of the layout and other gameplay related graphic design is identical.

I guess the take away here is that some of my designs have merit (even if I didn't think Space is the Place was especially good) and maybe I should send some designs out to someone else local, like Level99.
>>
>>46447466
Yeah and if he did truly lift the idea at the convention, he may not have even realized it. I know I can play 10s of new games per day at a convention and they can sometimes blur together and I've had a few ideas where after I explain them to someone they'll point out that its likely a recontextualization of some other game I play.
>>
Does anyone have any examples or ideas of a fun, tactile thing players do with their hands during games (i.e. rolling dice) that isn't used for randomness/chaos. I think it would be cool to have that more visceral, physical feel in a game but I'm not a huge fan of rolling dice or overly using randomization in games.
>>
>>46447097
Your "local" guy moved to your area last year, when Plaid Hat moved headquarters from Ohio to Texas. Doesn't mean things couldn't have come to him via other means, but at least do a bit more digging to know who/what you are dealing with.
>>
File: advancewars.png (587 KB, 615x347) Image search: [Google]
advancewars.png
587 KB, 615x347
>>46420790
Advance Wars/Fire Emblem
I know wars technically has a home made pnp game, but damn I would love to see an official game.
>>
>>46443347
How crazy does that game REALLY get? I've always been curious.
>>
>>46448982
Not incredibly crazy, its pretty standard stuff compared to most modern day board games other than the "zany" stuff like the DON'T EVER LOOK HERE or RIP THIS UP cards. It's more looking for a "you can't do that with board games!" reaction than anything.
>>
>>46445428
I have been having a hell of a time beating Dead of Winter in my game group. Every traitor weve played with hasn't done much betraying because they can barely get their secret objective done. Any tips in general?
>>
>>46429349
At the end of the day a cardboard box is never going to be great for travel, the big boxes are for display/collector purposes. Sure it could come in a sturdy container but that is just going to increase unit price and shipping costs and people will end up with their own storage solutions anyways.
>>
>>46448873
>Fire Emblem
>>
>>46446277
Pandemic: The Cure
Mordheim
>>
>>46448873
>>46449157
Wrong picture / reference, apologies.
>>
>>46448982

You have to be willing to commit and get emotionally involved with the game. If you have a group of players that are into it, it can get pretty fucking hype.
>>
>>46449059
A) The game's supposed to be hard
B) You may have to sacrifice doing part of the main objective to do your side objectives and vice versa
C) If the traitor wants to they can easily tank the entire team without detection 90% of the time
D) Just pick up everything all of the time and be as efficient as possible even if it means losing some survivors
E) You have to focus on the relative importance of items, survivors, and other elements. Things tend to become less or more useful at different stages of the game
F) This game is incredibly easy to play more or less optimally so you're mainly just carrying out your rote actions. Focus on finding the traitor or figuring out how to complete your personal objective without looking like the traitor.
>>
File: 2432270195_44d03d0e43_o.jpg (443 KB, 857x1280) Image search: [Google]
2432270195_44d03d0e43_o.jpg
443 KB, 857x1280
>>46448496

Are you asking about dexterity games?
I can think of some really cool ones.

Polarity and Hamsterrolle spring immediately to mind

I can also think of some other examples, like the way you move pyramids while playing Volcano.

Will dump some stuff.
>>
File: hamsterrolle.jpg (245 KB, 1224x812) Image search: [Google]
hamsterrolle.jpg
245 KB, 1224x812
>>46449242
>>
File: polarity-game-2.jpg (42 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
polarity-game-2.jpg
42 KB, 400x400
>>46449269

Polarity is one of the best kept secrets of board gaming.

You try to balance pieces against magnetic fields in such a way that when your opponent attempts to place a piece, they cause other stacks to roll or snap together. You can get surprisingly fiendish. I've been in situations where the only safe placement was to balance a disk against the field of another balanced disk, and even waving my hand a foot above the field caused the board to quiver.
>>
>>46447097
You could but legally he has done nothing wrong. So you only option would be to try to convince people to like shame them or something.

>>46447295
That's not entirely accurate. Generally speaking, anyone can use anyone else s concepts for game rules and mechanics. There are two possible situations where your game rules can be protected however:

#1 Clones (reproducing a game in its entirety minus the original games trademarks and copyrighted works) you can get a judge to rule in your favor.
#2 Patent. Although not that common, occasionally somehow someone manages to get a game related patent and it can limit what you can actually do in a game of your own.
>>
>>46437745
My problem with FoD is that it really needs 5 players. I'm having the same struggle and so far have delayed buying anything
>>46437934
roll
>>46442576
something really brainburner-y like The Gallerist. I want to hear "my head is full of fuck" at least twice per round
>>46446277
>Innovation
beautiful session. Blew through 4 achievements (including an early Monument). By blowing up my opponents board I gave him access to a combo that advanced him from Age 3 to age 8 in one turn. He became basically unstoppable just as my engine flatlined. His first age 8 (Satellites?) card accelerated him into melding like crazy, including Rocketry which blew up all of my score pile. I managed to keep a lead on score until his last play, where he triggered endgame right after scoring enough to end. I'm never mad at a game like that
>Tanto Cuore: Oktoberfest
>Bohnanza
>Brass
>Splendor
>...Dutch Blitz...mreh
>>46447295
If any of your copyrighted stuff was blatantly used (art, word-for-word text) then you have a case. If it's only gameplay, you have no case.

Just so you know, there was a planned space-themed spin-off but it's on the backburner. You should maybe check that shit out.
>>
>>46449337
Holy shit that looks so fun.
>>
>>46449353
the only patent I know of is Wizards having a patent on "tapping" cards. doesn't stop designers from having you tap cards to show they've been used, they just can't use the word tap to describe it.
>>
>>46449337

Wouldn't the game diminish over time, as the pieces knocking against each other disrupt the magnetic alignment?
>>
>>46449377
meant to quote>>46447097
>>
File: pic112672.jpg (379 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
pic112672.jpg
379 KB, 1000x750
>>46449337

Moving on to a non-dexterity game, we'll talk about icehouse pieces.

Volcano is a game played with plastic pyramids called icehouse pieces. It's one of the most physically beautiful boardgames ever invented, and it's very tactile as you cascade a stack across the board. It's an abstract strategy puzzle. Very intuitive to learn, but MENSA likes it.

I've always wanted a set of pyramids in some denser material than plastic - lucite or crystal. Probably not happening any time soon. The little bastards are not exactly cheap even in plastic.

There are a number of really good games played with icehouse pieces. The most popular are Zendo, Volcano, Homeworlds, and Icehouse.

Homeworlds in particular is a personal favorite of mine.
>>
>>46449397
that patent was actually for the entire game of Magic, not just tapping but it actually expired so luckily no one needs to worry about it anymore.
>>
>>46449401

There are rules which govern what happens. If I recall correctly a fault results in you either picking up the offending stack and re-placing it somewhere, or returning it to your pool of pieces depending on exactly what happened. One of the ways the game can end is when a player has placed their last piece, and you lose points for each un-played piece you had remaining.

Another win condition involves the red disc in the center.
>>
>>46449547
I didn't mean that something would diminish within the rules, I meant that the physical magnetic fields of the pieces would become weaker after many games by the pieces being knocked around.
>>
>>46449455
I like Zark City, but that requires a deck of cards.

http://www.looneylabs.com/rules/zark-city

I'm also a fan of the one where you balance a CD on a big pyramid and then you alternate placing your pieces on the CD, trying not to be the one to set it all off balance.
>>
>>46449455

Next up, we'll talk chips.

Anyone who's played in a casino can tell you how GOOD a set of heavy clay chips can feel in your hand.

Sit down at any poker table and you'll see people absentmindedly doing chip-tricks, or piling their winnings into an arrow pointed at their adversary's heart.

Watch a Bond movie and you'll see 007 tossing around big rectangular stacks of enormous denomination.
>>
My cart I was going to order at the end of the week jumped up around 30% and my Millennium Blades pre-order got cancelled after months of having it. Sad day.
>>
>>46395779

New games my buddy got, Codenames and Imperial Settlers. Codenames was a big hit with the group as a whole and I love wordgames like that. Imperial Settlers was more my buddy's style of game. Very much a resource production sort of game. Though I won, I'm not so sure I'm digging it when I could be playing Puerto Rico instead.

We also picked up Cheaty Mages, by the same guy that did Love Letter, and I want to play, but we need to rope a third into it. He also bought - for me - the latest expansion of Eclipse, and I can't want to try out the new alien races.

The only other notable thing is that we finally ordered a card box so we could organize all of BattleCon and I'm so ready to play more of that.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (204 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
204 KB, 1280x720
>>46448496
You might enjoy Rampage (I think it's now called Terror in Meeple City to avoid copyright infringement). In it, you play as one of four kaiju trying to destroy the city and eat as many people as possible and you do this by flicking wooden discs, dropping your monster on top of things, and even blowing out air to represent your dino's radioactive breath.
>>
File: goban.jpg (72 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
goban.jpg
72 KB, 500x345
>>46449642

On a similar note, Go sets are very tactile.
A decent set of stones will have some heft and thickness to them, not all that different from clay poker chips. The finest are made of semi-precious materials. Slate and giant-clam shell, with the most expensive boards being made from endangered Kaya wood which is prized for it's pleasing aesthetic and acoustic properties. It makes a nice sound when you place a Go stone on it.

There's a whole mythos around snapping stones onto the board with vim & confidence.
>>
File: pitchcar-banner980.jpg (98 KB, 980x440) Image search: [Google]
pitchcar-banner980.jpg
98 KB, 980x440
>>46449831

Back to dexterity games, Pitch Car has been around forever. Never played it, so not much to say. Seems self-explanatory.
>>
>>46449909
Has anyone played catacombs? How is it?
>>
File: pic2315948_lg.jpg (344 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pic2315948_lg.jpg
344 KB, 1024x768
>>46449909

Ca$h & Guns is a tactile refinement on games like Bang! and Coup. Each turn, you point your foam gun into the air. The godfather counts down and calls, "BANZAI!!!!!" which is your que to point your gun at someone. Several someones are probably also pointing THEIR guns at YOU.

I can keep this up all night. A lot of great games have tactile components that we don't think about much, but that contribute tremendously to the overall experience.
>>
>>46447097
You might want to think very carefully about contacting Plaid Hat with claims of ownership of intellectual property. I can easily see them lawyering up with the end results being expensive and unpleasant for you. I wouldn't spend time dicking around on 4chan. Contact someone who really knows intellectual property laws.
>>
>>46403714
And this is why Geek Chic tables come with cup holders that are BELOW the edge of the table.

Yes, Geek Chic tables are stupid expensive, but that's not the issue here.

If you've never played on a recessed surface, you don't know what your missing. My group played on a pool table for the longest time and it was great, except when we'd roll dice into the pockets.
>>
>>46450128
I've disliked recessed surfaces every time I've played on one. I can see the advantages but I don't think they outweigh the disadvantages associated with them.
>>
>>46450068
The best part about Ca$h 'n' Gun$ is screaming at your friends to back down or you'll shoot them.
>>
>>46450179
Then I respect your opinion, but disagree. And I like the modular design they provide with being able to place leaves on top. You can even have a half-recessed, half flat table for two games with differing needs.
>>
>>46450225
Yeah, the ability to cover a game in progress is pretty much the only selling feature for a recessed surface for me. Paying a premium and still having the, what I consider, negatives that come with it makes it a non-starter for me.
>>
>>46450311
Oh, I'd never buy a Geek Chic table unless I was flush with excess cash to the point where I was spending money like a celebrity. For the same price, I could have a nice dining room set. All the neat features in the world - and I do love the locking rail they have for modular bits - wouldn't make me cough up the cash.

I WOULD like a good set of plans to build a similar thing. And...you know...the skills to build it.
>>
File: tumblr_m447pfqG9A1r1bp8m.jpg (42 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m447pfqG9A1r1bp8m.jpg
42 KB, 500x375
>>46449242

Speaking of Jenga, there's a horror-themed RPG built around it instead of dice. Pretty neat.
>>
What is the best easy-to-teach euro I can get for $50 or less? bonus points if it works well with 2p.
>>
>>46450346
You can pay carpenters a pittance compared to what a GC table costs and they can throw one together for you.
>>
File: HiveTiles.jpg (118 KB, 517x308) Image search: [Google]
HiveTiles.jpg
118 KB, 517x308
>>46448496
>>
File: 006057.jpg (84 KB, 600x573) Image search: [Google]
006057.jpg
84 KB, 600x573
>>46450540
>>
>>46450641
Toc Toc Woodman is the better name
>>
>>46450463
Not where I live.

Fuckin' SoCal.
>>
>>46450703

Maybe for a gigolo.
>>
>>46450757
You're not wrong
>>
>>46450753
Whaaat? That's the land of unemployed carpenters!
>>
File: 20140303_img06.jpg (112 KB, 821x524) Image search: [Google]
20140303_img06.jpg
112 KB, 821x524
>>46450641
>>
>>46450782
It's the land of overpriced everything.
>>
>>46428052
I need to do this, my box was destroyed by people who mishandled my luggage when i took a plan to Seattle
>>
File: WHD01-diagram-battle.png (851 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
WHD01-diagram-battle.png
851 KB, 600x600
>>46450831

Warhammer Diskwars was a pretty cool game.
Too bad it's all but dead.
>>
File: PuzzleStrike-contents.jpg (141 KB, 660x470) Image search: [Google]
PuzzleStrike-contents.jpg
141 KB, 660x470
>>46450905
>>
>>46428052
It's true. We moved a lot of our single deck card games to plastic deck boxes. Gloom, Let's Kill, Hanabi, Chrononauts...

Not sure my 'tism could handle putting several into one box, though.
>>
>>46450954
Wait, is that a picture of the size of the box and what all comes in it? What is wrong with producers?
>>
>>46450991

Hell no.

Different game entirely.
>>
File: pic1924389_md.jpg (91 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
pic1924389_md.jpg
91 KB, 500x373
>>46450991

Here's the Warhammer: Diskwars core set
the green surface is a 3 foot by 3 foot mat, I believe.
>>
>>46451013
No I mean is the puzzle strike box and what's on the table what comes insideit? I hate air filled boxes.
>>
>>46451053
Yeah, it comes with an insert to keep all the chips in order, though. Since it's a deckbuilder, you want them in order when you start the game.
>>
>It is the early 20th Century, and the great museums of Europe and America compete for artifacts from around the world in order to fill their museums with the most prestigious exhibitions. In Artifact, players are archaeologists researching sites around the globe to search for artifacts, which are then shipped back to the museums in order to produce exhibitions that increase funding for future digs and earn prestige to win the game. Actions and funds are limited, however, and competition is fierce. Sometimes it is even necessary to deal on the black market in order to generate extra income or to acquire the one artifact that will complete a valuable exhibition.

that feel when you've been putting lots of effort into a game idea only to discover it was basically already made with a few minor mechanical tweaks. like fuck me, the descriptions match almost perfectly. sure, I think my mechanics would be way more enjoyable, but fuck.
>>
File: 150px-VOC.svg.png (5 KB, 150x153) Image search: [Google]
150px-VOC.svg.png
5 KB, 150x153
>>46451208
>I think my mechanics would be way more enjoyable, but fuck.

But Ryan Lauket's art will be much better than yours.

You can probably retheme the game. maybe theme it around the Dutch East India Company as that's an underutilized theme.
>>
File: 1197785269.jpg (360 KB, 1000x1067) Image search: [Google]
1197785269.jpg
360 KB, 1000x1067
>>46451208
Yeah, I've had a few ideas like that. Fuck it, man. Just go at it anyways.

I still want to make a "dueling speakeasies" game set during Prohibition. You'd have to secure shipments of booze to rope in the most patrons, while bribing the cops and keeping your rivals down with everything from "we have better music" to "here's three tough guys with tommy guns to make sure you don't get too uppity."

Your basic resource gathering game, with card-based randomization and player-on-player sabotage.

In my dreams, it would be Lackadaisy branded.
>>
>>46451259
I already knew of Artifacts Inc. and felt it was sufficiently different, but this "Artifact" game is much more similar to my idea

>>46451285
that sounds like it could be pretty cool. what's the similar game to it?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.