[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, I need help thinking of as many famous shield-users
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (127 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
127 KB, 1440x1080
Hey /tg/, I need help thinking of as many famous shield-users and gun-users from the 19th century and earlier, whether they be mythological, historical or folklore.

I've already combed the wikipedia list of mythological artifacts for shields, now I'm looking for anyone else who has a famous incident of shield use in battle or who is particularly associated with shields.

As for gun users, I'm looking primarily for either women or people who aren't from the Wild West/American Civil War who used guns, or whose gun-associated stories are just ludicrously silly. People like Oda Nobunaga, Ned Kelly, Pecos Bill, etc etc

I know you guys can help, /tg/ seems to know about every combat-related story ever mentioned.
>>
Bump for war heroes
>>
Look up Margaret skinnider,
Part of Ireland's Easter uprising, allegedly the best shot the rebels had. Started out as a math teacher.
Sorry, "maths".
>>
File: testuggine-6.jpg (73 KB, 400x258) Image search: [Google]
testuggine-6.jpg
73 KB, 400x258
>>46392628
During Caesar battle wih Pompey at Dyrrhachium, a centurion under his command was rewarded for keeping his position during the enemy attack.

All soldiers were wounded, four centurions lost their eyes, a total of thirty thousand arrows were shot at the fort

Marcus Scaeva's scutum had two hundred and thirty projectiles stuck on it. He won 200.000 sesterces for this. Even his cohort won double pay for life for holding the line.
>>
>>46393701
That's pretty badass
>>
>>46393701
Yamamoto Yaeko was a japanese woman which helped to defend her clan during the Boshin War, shooting meiji soldiers with her spencer repeating rifle.

Yevdokiya Zavaliy
>became a commander nicknamed “Frau Black Death,” was wounded 4 times, and received around 40 medals of honor.

>Elaine Mordeaux, a leader of French resistance forces, staged a successful attack against the 101st Panzers. Her unit, a third of whom were women, disabled almost one hundred trucks and tanks, assisting the allied invasion of Normandy by delaying the advance of the panzer division to the coast.

Dahomey Amazons, an african warrior harem.
>>
>>46393963
Yamamoto Yaeko and the Dahomey Amazons are perfect for my needs, cheers!
>>
Read up on Simo Häyhä.
505 confirmed and more unconfirmed (he tended to work alone for reasons below)
And 200 submachine gun kills.

Simo Häyhä was given the title White Death due to his outfit being entirely white including his handmaid facemask, to reduce the fog his breathe made and his skins color difference from the surrounding snow leaving only 2 very small slits to see, and his rifle covered entirely in white cloth. Speaking of his rifle. Simo got all confirmed, and most likely his uncomfirmed kills as well, entirely without an optic of any sort as he feared the glint would give away his position as he used that exact trick to pick out soviet snipers.

Theres a whole lot more and thats just the tip of the iceberg. My personal favorite was the soviet propaganda stunts trying to deny his very existence that they continue to this day in russia.
>>
Could try the Chinese dude who developed rocket/cannon tactics for the army and wrote a major treatise on it. I forget his name though.
>>
>>46394819
Simo doesn't meet the cutoff. He's 20th century, unfortunately. Otherwise he'd be in.
>>
>>46394867
But the guns 1891 and he would have done the same exact shit then as he did during his career.
>>
>>46392628
Fate/Campaign detected?
>>
>>46395034
Haha yeah. Using the "odd" classes like Shielder, Gunner, Ruler, Saver and Avenger, suitably tweaked for PC use. And also Lancer for tragedy and Rider for a party transport.
>>
>>46392628
Shields don't really have much of a place in settings where guns are a thing. They'd already been pretty phased out by the time plate armour became widespread, and they have the obvious problem that no shield that's going to be realistic to lug around on a battlefield can withstand firearms.
>>
>>46395226
in Japan dudes lugged huge wooden shields out onto the field and hid behind them while reloading their guns
>>
>>46392628
Fionn mac Cumhaill had a magic shield which rang like thunder when used.
Forgot it's name though.
>>
Shields are a pretty hard one. There's plenty of heroic and mythological figures who notably used a shield, and a minority of those in turn had some pretty intense magically augmented shields going on (Galahad springs to mind), but everyone who used a shield is pretty notable for another purpose. Consider that Athena is never depicted without her shield, yet you'd struggle to recall that the shield in question is literally THE Aegis, shield of Zeus.

I would see it as like, there's a lot of guys you COULD summon as Shielder, but none that you couldn't more easily summon as another class.

As for guns, I've always been pretty fond of Ned Kelly. He's not exactly a huge hero, but he's from a corner of the world with almost no heroic legends at all. Furthermore he's an excellent candidate for a grail war because he had INTENSE unfinished business due to his death.

Anyone beyond the dudes you've already mentioned though? Good luck.
>>
>>46395275
But that's more along the lines of siege mantlets or primitive sandbags than what we generally think of as a shield.

Not really the thing for heroics.
>>
>>46395837
Jesus. I just looked myself and anon above you is right. There's legendary shields out the asshole and the people who wield them are legendary as well but zero on the shields actually making the legends rather than just being an accessory to legendom.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.