[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently got introduced to Dungeon World by a new group I joined.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: yfPlI.jpg (84 KB, 804x342) Image search: [Google]
yfPlI.jpg
84 KB, 804x342
I recently got introduced to Dungeon World by a new group I joined. I was able to get into the game right from the start and was blown away how simple the rules were and how it still allowed for lots of cool stuff to happen.

I don't often see DW mentioned on /tg/ but I think it gets bad rep. Can anyone explain to me why, what's so bad about the system?
>>
Anybody?
>>
>>46388392
As a quick general rule, if you come here often, you should know we're a fairly slow board. I've seen posts that took 20 minutes to write on this board.

That aside, Dungeon World:
There's three main camps for people who don't like Dungeon World.

1. People who don't like Powered by the Apocalypse systems. There's a wide range of players for whom "simple rules" is not an attraction, but rather a flaw. Or people who prefer less personally powerful protagonists than your average PbtA character. This is purely a matter of personal choice, and is completely up to them and their preferences.

2. Some people don't like what it DID to tge PbtA system. If you look at a lot of the other systems made by the same people, you'll see that they have fewer stats, and MUCH less HP. Some don't like the changes to the basic system that were forced to make it fit the D&D mystique. This is also a matter of personal preference, and is completely up to those people's taste.

The last group is much less numerous, but when it shows up, things go bad in a hurry. Basically, about...3 years ago or so, Dungeon World was a year or so old, off its Kickstarter birth, and was starting to get popular on /tg/. Specifically, a couple people got on /tg/ and said some extremely glowing things about it. And they quoted things like the DMs guide, where one guy states that DW was 'what he had expected D&D to be like." These comments were...upsetting to some. They seemed arrogant. Numerous. They were the cheerful Whos singing their Christmas songs. So these posters lashed out. They took both of the previous camp's complaints, and presented them as facts. They attacked any design decision that didn't match their idea of "a perfect game", which was frequently titled toward the crunch heavy/simulationist theme.
Of course, many of these people didn't actually feel this way. They were just trolling because this is 4chan, and it's fun. Some did, and were VEHEMENT about it.

(brief cont)
>>
>>46388516

There came a time around mid 2014 that it had become IMPOSSIBLE to make a thread about Dungeon World without one of these people showing up, and between their claims, and the fervent outcry from a fanbase feeling more and more attacked, many threads just exploded in showers of shitty arguments.

Because of that, the number of threads about DW dropped off, and many took a step back from the game, rather than get involved in shit like that.

It's been mostly quiet since. People who like it, like it. People who don't because of the first two reasons, just don't play it. But /tg/ has a lingering bad taste in its mouth from that time. So we're a little more likely to dismiss the game rather than praise it or deride it, just so we can avoid shit like what happened back in the day.
>>
>>46388539
>>46388516
Thank you for your scholarly answer, you are a true gentleman.
>>
>>46388590
I thank you, but I must admit, as with all things 4chan, any nobility I possess is fleeting.

I only got into Dungeon World because one guy started a thread to bitch about it, and sounded like such an asshole I downloaded it all to spite him.

I confess, in the 2014 time, I spent maybe half my time trying to be a voice of reason. Then there'd be a brand new thread the next day, so I'd sigh, and decide today I would take the easy route, and just scream at the shitposters. It wouldn't improve things, but it would feel better.

I will say that the two games I've played of Dungeon World were both quite enjoyable, and one of them was with several people who had never played RPGs before. My only regret was not owning a printer at the time, so character creation was a bit of a hassle for new players (not compared to say, making a new character in D&D, but just an unfortunate hurdle)

My only major complaint with the game is a lack of warning on how dangerous the various monsters are. It's impressive how relatively low numbers from a D&D perspective spell "Holy Shit, run for your life" in Dungeon World (this was actually a large point of contention for a while, as there was a prominent forum post about how ancient dragons only had 16 hp in system was making the rounds)
>>
>>46388677
Yeah 4chan has a good supply of shitposters. But I've also gotten into some games and other things because of them complaining about stuff. Any publicity is good publicity..?

But good to hear actual comments on DW. I've played just one game so haven't met any dragons or I don't know how the game works on later levels, but for a group of 1st level characters I had a blast.
As for how dangerous monsters and spells are, shouldn't that rely on how the players and the GM? I mean an ancient dragon that the fighter killed in two hits? I guess it was senile and half-dead already.
>>
>>46388274
Personally is just not very mechanically interesting, yes does give players the opportunity to be creative but doesn't give them the tools. Everything boil down to roll at 10 and you do it. 7-9 you do it at a cost I have to made up.

if your only experience of role-playing was just wanting to play D&D as a teenager and struggling with a 3.5 sourcebook (which is a lot of people) I can understand why this would be seen a godsend to you.
>>
>>46388392
>>
>I will say that the two games I've played of Dungeon World were both quite enjoyable, and one of them was with several people who had never played RPGs before.
If the GM is good, any game can be good. Also, this is a trap for beginners because they'll think *that* was the only one who made them feel special on the table, looping the same thing that happens with the 3.5 crowd we all already know.
>>
Also, why did no one adapted FATAL for PbtA?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.