[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Bard Life Edition

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
>http://pastebin.com/YhdxTQS6

Ultimate Intrigue leaks:
>classes: http://imgur.com/a/tlwEX
>feats: http://imgur.com/a/PA4eT
>items: http://imgur.com/a/RzJiF

Old Thread: >>46381402
>>
>Page 5
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Okay, now that that's out of our system, lets continue with general discussions
>>
File: 1442190675946.png (84 KB, 599x717) Image search: [Google]
1442190675946.png
84 KB, 599x717
Know what? Since this thread is fresh and we're already kinda on the topic I might as well ask.

What kind of voices do you imagine the NPCs as having?
>>
File: Pathfinder Barbarian Build.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder Barbarian Build.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46385340
mainly because spells like simulacrum an planar binding are singularities that no game world can survive.

Using simulacrum in THE MOST CONSERVATIVE way possible still results in an army of level 6 casters doing...well no one knows.

Also: because of all the barbarian talk: see attached.
>>
>>46385962
I can confidently puff my chest when I say I can do a convincingly great Mark Hammil Joker impersonation and my players are enjoying fighting me as the BBEG due to that.
>>
>>46385962
Like the ones in APs?
>>
>>46385962
>Ameiko
Laura Bailey.

>Brodert
Tom Hulce.

>Sheriff Hemlock
Gregory L. Williams.

>Mayor Deverin
Joan Allen.

>Father Zantus
Michael Hogan.
>>
>>46385913
Didn't you also post that pic in the fantasy fashion thread?
>>
>>46385913
The girl's instrument, I can understand as a believable violin, but how the hell is that guy supposed to play that thing?
>>
>>46385962

The DM did an amazing "tough Russian girl" voice with Greta and it's only made me think Greta is Best Girl even more.

Although another DM did a good job as Ameiko, she'd slip into Tien while stressed or angry but would otherwise speak in un-accented Common, very pleasant with a knack for puns and innuendo.
>>
I have only one desire, and that's to go fast. How do I go THE FASTEST?

Harbindger seems like a good choice, but Monk seems like the more obvious one.
>>
>>46386009
>Like the ones in APs?

Yes, do your DMs have any "voices" for specific characters, or do you imagine them with certain voices?
>>
>>46385997

Reminder courageous was nerfed.

"A courageous weapon was meant to help only on saves against fear (either adding its enhancement bonus as a morale bonus on saves against fear, or adding half its enhancement bonus to your existing morale bonus on saves against fear, whichever is best for you). However, the wording is in error. The last sentence should say “on saves against fear” after “any morale bonus.”
>>
>>46386156
Oh shit yea. Thanks. I'll change that.
>>
>>46386156
If they wanna change it, they gotta actually change it. Fuck 'em.
>>
Any ideas on how Bagpipes of Invisibility could function in a system like PF that has sight and hearing rolled into one skill?
>>
>>46385962
I generally don't hear actual voices in my head when I read things. Reading text in front of Morgan Freeman's face doesn't make me read it in his voice, unless I decide to do so on purpose. Dunno if this is the norm or not.

Though, to answer your question directly - tough guys are all Big Boss, old women are all cranky obasans, villains are all batman cartoon ones, Gnomes are all awful, late 20's to late 40's women are all sultry and ara-ara-y unless they're tribal and savage for some reason (and even then...), young women sound like my cousin no matter what I try to do otherwise.

Children don't have voices because I don't like them and don't want to hear them, even in my head.
>>
>>46386197
Perception checks to see and hear are different, so.

As written?
>>
>>46386197
You'd be invisible, and therefore get the +40 or whatever to Stealth visually, but everyone would know roughly where you were because of the sound. So you'd still have miss chance but you're not sneaking past anyone.
>>
File: 1379801729360.jpg (202 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1379801729360.jpg
202 KB, 800x800
>>46386047

>Ameiko
>Laura Bailey

Laura Bailey's a woman of many voices which one?
>>
>>46386197
>Bagpipes of Invisibility
This item had better be literally free. And store other items like a backpack.
>>
>>46386271
Lucina, admittedly.
>>
>>46386133
As the DM, yes I do.

My Runelords NPCs are all pretty well fleshed out voice-wise, because I've done them enough times.

Brodert Quink is the most fun to do. I've done whole podcasts as him.
>>
>>46386196
It is a stupidly powerful ability for really cheap. I actually agree with the nerf.

>>46386281
Or it could make people in a certain radius around you invisible, so the enemies know that something is over there, but it could be one dude or an entire special forces gank squad.
>>
>>46385962
On that note, assuming you needed folks to voice the gods, who would you choose for:

>Iomedae
>Dahak
>Shelyn
>Torag
>Apsu
>Rovagug
>Sun Wukong
>Shizuru
>Gozreh
>Zarongel
>Asmodeus
>Folca
>Nocticula
>Ragathiel
>>
>>46386325
I imagine Ragathiel having this Liam Neeson esque voice. Not the heavy Northern Irish one, somewhat closer to Aslan, but still very close to slipping into full angry Taken voice.
>>
Why is Council of Thieves considered awful, /pfg/?
>>
>>46386382

It's boring, the efforts of the PCs don't matter, and everything's low-level.
>>
>>46386325
>Asmodeus
Tony Jay. All other answers are wrong
Also, Erastil must be voiced by Richard Boone
>>
>>46386325
Folca - Danny Elfman
>>
>>46386325

Well, let's see here. It'll take some careful thought, but...

>Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson
>Tupac
>Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson, or, alternatively, Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson
>Jack Nicholson
>Will Smith
>>
So my party accidentally found out last session that my character was Lawful Evil when the Shaman used Detect Evil on one of the BBEG's henchmen and since I was standing in front of the guy and interrogating him, they found out my alignment.

To be fair I been playing her up as a nice and helpful person who is fairly strict when it comes to laws. Am I screwed? Everyone else in the party is [Blank] Good. She has been waiting patiently to make a political power play.
>>
If we're asking about campaigns, why does /pfg/ keep saying Curse of the Crimson Throne is good/the best paizo AP? HARD MODE: You can't cite Trinia Sabor.
>>
>>46386325
For some reason, I can imagine Apsue being equally either Ian McKellen, or Gene Wilder
>>
>>46386325
Morgan Freeman
>>
>>46386452
>why does /pfg/ keep saying Curse of the Crimson Throne is good/the best paizo AP?

Fleshed out NPCs, you really give a damn about Korvosa, fun plot that goes between political intrigue and high-speed chases.
>>
>>46386445

Unless there's a Paladin it shouldn't be a major issue?
>>
>>46386445
Are you 5HD or more, a Cleric, Undead, an Outsider, or an Antipaladin?

If not, you shouldn't have pinged. Be sure your GM and party is aware of that.

It's a good idea to point out that you're Lawful Evil and not either of the other two. Unlike them, they're reliable at the very least. Also, now that they know, feel free to guilt trip the shit out of them if they change their behavior because of it. 'What, you have no faith in me now? I, who saved you from the jaws of that dragon a fortnight ago? I, who [OTHER THING]' and so forth.
>>
>>46386407

>Asmodeus
>Not Mark Pellegrino

Can't go wrong with Lucifer.
>>
>>46386281
>store a person in there
>it's like 3e's "Sanctify the Wicked" spell where a creature trapped in that spell unpreventably becomes Good over time as they are forced to contemplate their wrongdoings, except the reverse
>being literally trapped in bagpipes for an extended period of time unpreventably makes a creature turn Evil
>>
File: 1446639653878.png (161 KB, 270x348) Image search: [Google]
1446639653878.png
161 KB, 270x348
>>46386284

Bro, noice.
>>
>>46386521
Who played Satan in Constantine?

That guy is PERFECT for Asmo.
>>
So my GM has given us essentially free access to anything under 25,000 for our last session. Sufficeth to say, this is a big one. Culmination of many campaigns, double digits. So I'm not playing nice, I was given this and I'm using it.

Big threats:
>Mind-affecting
>Psionics
>Swarms
>Potential undead
>Illusion/shadow magic
>>
>>46386542

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVFse1LLQs

Video for those not in the know.
>>
>>46386499
Well no paladin. so all good there.

>>46386508
I am currently 7HD and am a Cavalier. Also yeah you make an excellent point about the guilt tripping.
>>
>>46386560
Scroll of Contingency + Scroll of Create Undead (CL 12th+) + Scroll of Enervate. Turn yourself into a Juju Zombie. Undead type lets you ignore the first thing, the second thing is so generic you might have just said 'magic' (though CHA to Fort saves and HP is fantastic), the third thing is made easier to manage with Juju Zombie's DR, Mindless Undead flat-out won't attack you at all and you're immune to the vast majority of things that the intelligent ones will throw at you, and any illusions that are mind-affecting (which are the BAD NASTY ones usually), you're also immune to.

>>46386584
Make a huge deal about how you're the only one willing to do those necessary, inevitable evils that crop up and how you've put yourself at risk on their behalf just as often as any of them have for each other or you.
>>
>>46386521
>not goig with the man who was Frollo, Shier-Khan, The Magic Mirror, Megabyte, The Elder God of the Wheel, Chairface Chippendale, and even The Supreme Being himself
Bruh
>>
>>46386452
Ileosa.

One of our party was dicking her on the side, it was pretty funny when she decided it was time to do away with us all.
>>
>>46386284

Lucina's cute, it fits Ameiko.
>>
>>46386562
>>46386542
Peter Stormare.
>>
>>46386656
Hmm true. In one of the earlier fights in this sunken temple at level 4, there was this monster that caused three of the party to run due to its special ability. In fact, I was the only one willing to stand my ground in order to make sure the backline didn't get dunked. Of the two not under the fear effect in the backline only my fair maiden that I was protecting stayed with me. She was the wizard, the Shaman I mentioned earlier bailed and he was not under the fear effects.
>>
>>46386325

>Iomedae - Jamie Alexander
>Shelyn - Kristen Bell
>Torag - Bob Hoskins
>Nethys - Patrick Stewart
>Desna - Tara Strong
>Cayden Cailean - Nolan North
>Apsu - Morgan Freeman
>Dahak - that Ayy who voiced Smaug
>Shizuru - Jessica Walter
>Gozreh - Ian McKellen and Judi Dench
>Zarongel - Gilbert Gottfried
>Folca - Why is he important to you? Alan Tudyk I guess.
>Zyphus - Clancy Brown
>Ragathiel - Vin Diesel
>Rovagug - Soulbot
>>
>>46386693
>One of our party was dicking her on the side

Literally impossible within the scope of the campaign, and your DM is shit for butchering the story.

>Hurf durf is about funs lol
>>
So apparently Scry & Die has been stealth-nerfed to no longer work? Why?
>>
Anyone else know how to powergame the fuck out of the system but just.. not?
>>
>>46386751
It was already a shit strategy. Jumping directly into an enemy's base is suicide in a lot of scenarios, since it's hard to Scry the whole entire thing at all times.

>>46386760
I like to powergame the shit out of dumb things to make them usable.
>>
>>46386751
It hasn't been changed. There's some factually inaccurate advice about it in Ultimate Intrigue because JJ doesn't like it and thinks if he plugs his ears and yells it'll go away.
>>
>>46386751
Gotta back up claims like that, you know better.

>>46386760
I generally don't, mostly because I don't like getting in an arms race with the GM and other players.
>>
>>46386452
Because of all the APs, it's the one with the tightest campaign, in that it's story isn't about:

>The party developing a connection to a fleshed-out town and then leaving it for places they don't know at all
>The party being subservient to/led around by NPCs
>The party doing wacky stupid hijinks like fighting robots

It's got great NPCs, plot hooks, and locations.

Sure, it needs work to fix some parts to make them better, but where as most APs need a SHITFUCKINGTON of work just to make playable, one that only needs to work to really make it amazing is gonna be the best of the lot.
>>
File: 1450239901421.png (253 KB, 442x442) Image search: [Google]
1450239901421.png
253 KB, 442x442
>>46386325
>>46386745

Duuuuude, Val Kilmer is a voice that needs to be put *somewhere.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5vZWrsaYWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BQWubuC8g
>>
>>46386781

What was the advice? I could use a laugh.
>>
>>46386781
Yea. They were trying to pretend that the spells don't specifically mention each other.

>>46386782
>Gotta back up claims like that, you know better.
its in the new book. The one with the batman class.

>>46386779
>It was already a shit strategy. Jumping directly into an enemy's base is suicide in a lot of scenarios, since it's hard to Scry the whole entire thing at all times.
Well I would like to know your strategy for murdering a king/whatever as quickly or reliably. Its incredibly hard to stop scry. And teleporting in on someone fully buffed when they didn't see it coming is an easy kill.
>>
File: Lucina.jpg (324 KB, 822x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lucina.jpg
324 KB, 822x1080
>>46386284
Yeah I can see that.
>>
>>46386815
It was basically "no guys srsly scry doesn't give you a location fix for teleport. Pls disregard the text in the spell saying it does"
>>
>>46386805

I honestly can't decide between Erastil or Abadar for Val Kilmer.
>>
>>46386750
It's not impossible, it's just a change. We actually thought Ileosa would be redeemable and the main enemy would be the dragon controlling her. The dicking ended around the end of part 3 and start of part 4, when you have to get out of dodge and we collectively realised that she really was the evil queen, not just a puppet.
>>
>>46386872
>Knowing about the dragon in part 3

>>
>>46386397

Explain?
>>
>>46386827
There are literally multiple spells and effects designed to fool or block scrying, teleportation, or both. No king worth his throne or worth a 9th+ level party going after him wouldn't have lead in his castle insulation, or at minimum whatever his panic room(s) were. If Scry and Die is available to the PCs, it's available to absolutely everyone, and no leader of a powerful faction doesn't have enemies. If whatever you're going after has existed long enough to be known to someone besides just your party, they've probably been there and done that. Plain Stealth can fool Scrying, after all - sure, you can find the target, but not the target's allies hiding in the corner. It also doesn't really reliably find traps and so forth.

It's also a dick move from a meta standpoint, since you're needlessly robbing the GM of his Big Job - making encounters fun and challenging. If you're just stomping everything to death at the drop of the hat, why bother playing anymore?
>>
>>46386872
>posts actual spoilers
>doesn't use spoilers

I know it's kinda silly since it's been out so long, but c'mon anon.
>>
>>46386906
First: It is actually really hard to block reliably and well. At least without much higher level spells.

Second: Nowhere did I say it was a cool thing to do. Its just another reason why the game just doesn't work at higher levels.

The main part I wanted to bring up was how pathetic pazio was being about the whole thing.
>>
>>46386906

My personal approach has been taking some vague muttering of the devs about high-energy stuff interfering with teleports and making that a solid rule. Highly magical areas, volcanoes, and other places of that sort can't be effectively teleported into, just teleported NEAR, and gosh, what a surprise, every BBEG and NPC ruler with a brain sets up their base in places you can't teleport into willy-nilly.
>>
>>46386872
>being literally subhuman
Ctrl-S, nigger
>>
>>46386885
It was a very magical and suspicious looking crown that she had.
>>
>>46386970
Or manufactures their own magical radiation blah-blah zone by having a magic artifact or a big pile of magic somethings or a doodad or a whatever macguffin, yeah.
>>
I need help, y'all.
Is there an archetype or multiclass combo or third party class that can be used to make a mechanic/engineer type character? Like, bombs and traps and gadgets and gizmos.

I need it because I want to run a game in a steampunk setting.
>>
>>46387004
What kind of self-respecting ruler doesn't have a magic crown? And it's an artifact, you can't just detect at it.
>>
>>46386892

You're fighting for a town you don't care about to protect it from the control of evil bastards who are a dime a dozen in Cheliax, and will likely just replace them once the administrators roll through.

Also the max level is like 12.
>>
>>46386962
This is unfortunately true. While it's one thing to say the throne room has lead linings, the entire castle? The town around it? Every minor official's quarters and family? And even if the king's wearing one of those amulets of nondetection, a high level caster will easily overpower it (directly and literally; it's a caster level check).

SOME protections against scrying make sense, but most people AREN'T high level casters, CANNOT afford to coat their entire capital in fucking divination insulation, and quite often even if they could it will not matter, it'll just take a few extra castings to get the info "the long way around".

Scry and Die going both ways certainly makes sense when you're going after a religion's top temple (not the lack of S there) or an archmage's tower. But most entities can't do fuck all about it, and anything with JJ-character stats wouldn't even realize it's an eventual possibility anyways - even while it's happening.

It's a thing. Mechanically it CAN'T not be a thing - much like the Usurpation in Exalted mechanically could not be a thing. In both cases the setting goes on as if it the mechanics never existed... but the reality of it is, those mechanics are fighting the fluff tooth and nail every last step of the way.
>>
>>46386840

I can't.

Ameiko's got significantly more tits and ass.
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 801x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 801x1000
>>46386911

To be fair, Paizo don't really give a shit either, it ain't much of a spoiler at this point when they stick it on the cover. Pic related.
>>
File: 1381202814203.jpg (928 KB, 1500x1200) Image search: [Google]
1381202814203.jpg
928 KB, 1500x1200
>>46387070
>>46386840
Yeah, Lucina sounds more fitting for Iomedae.
>>
>>46387005
>>46386970
Of course at that point you have to remember they won't be able to escape either, and you also have to wonder how the fuck it is that you can create wishes, but no one ever bothered to adjust the settings on teleport magic to filter out such interference, WHEN IT'S PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF SENDING YOU TO ALL SORTS OF OTHER FUCKED UP PLACES INCLUDING THE VACUUM OF SPACE OR THE MOTHERFUCKING SUN WHILE STILL AVOIDING THAT CAMPFIRE FOR YOU.

Shit, man, even star trek's transporters are more consistent than this shit!
>>
>>46387062
I agree.

God damn this game needs so many different gentleman's agreements to even function it's incredible that we still play it.

Although I think I know why: You can fix broken with some rules changes and mind caulk. You can't fix boring.
>>
Thoughts on skill monkey characters?
>>
>>46387074

Those are some mighty fine-looking guardswomen.
>>
>>46387087

Alright then, who would YOU suggest for the voice of Ameiko?
>>
>>46386779
>I like to powergame the shit out of dumb things to make them usable.

I love doing that.

>So I made a character who just uses the Steal combat maneuver all the time
>with a combination of buff spells and boosts to steal everything not nailed down
>>
>>46387108
Empiricist investigator. No one else in the party will even bother rolling for skill checks.

>>46387114
Just enough shape to the armor to make them feminine, but still imposing and fully avoiding the cleavageboobplate bullshit. The art is well done.
>>
>>46387035
Yes you can, artifacts are not invulnerable to detect magic. They're invulnerable to Identify. You can still identify an artifact the normal way, if you make the check or get a legend lore.
>>
>>46387149
...why is the queen allowing you to cast spells in her line of sight? Holy shit that would be dumb.
>>
>>46386970
If you borrow from 3.5, there's a spell that works like this.

http://alcyius.com/dndtools/spells/expedition-undermountain--139/halasters-teleport-cage--4990/index.html

There's also Anticipate Teleportation and Greater Anticipate Teleportation, which have a 24-hour duration but only give up to 3 rounds of warning.
>>
>>46387164
Detect Magic. Permanency. Always on.
>>
>>46387114

The queen likes em sexy
>>
>>46386325

>all these people making suggestions
>no one suggests the obvious
>Rovagug tim curry
>>
>>46387141
Yeah I can speak from experience on the investigator.

He's better than the top mages in the party at knowledge arcane (and all other knowledges), he outcrafts, outperceptions, outdiplomacies and out... okay.

You see that skill list? The big skill list on the second page of your character sheet?

You see ALL of those skills?

He's better at them.

Yes yes I know you're a specialist and you ge~ HE'S BETTER. GO ASK HIM. ASK HIM WHAT HIS BONUS IS. Oh look, where you had a +30 to be insanely proud of at level 8, he's got +34 AND rolls an extra d6 to go with his d20. Oh your feat's +2 will be a +4 at level 10?

YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HIS BONUS WILL BE AT LEVEL 10.

I learned my fucking lesson lemme tell ya. Now? I shut the fuck up and gun down the entire map. That is what I do, and that is what I do real good.

He rolls the skills. Rest of us just try our rolls to see if we can understand what he tells us.

Then I go back to shooting shit.

Because I'm a crafting class, so shoot shit dead is what I do.
>>
>>46387031
Use alchemist, refluff the extracts as devices.
>>
>>46387207

Wouldn't that just tell you the crown is magical?
>>
>>46387225
I still say Patrick Stewart should be Rovagug.

Have Nethys be Charlie Day.
>>
>>46387222

Not even that, they've got this imposing yet visually impressive design to them that shows the feminine without the titillation that often goes with it.

It's very well-designed armor, so well-designed I can't believe someone at Paizo thought it up.
>>
>>46387269

>artist
>someone at Paizo

That's usually not how it works sadly senpai
>>
>>46387070

Where does Ameiko sit on the NPC bustiness chart, anywho? Does she stand out in any of the categories?
>>
>>46387244
I cannot agree with you about Patrick Stewart, but I didn't know I needed Charlie Day as Nethys in my life until now.
>>
>>46387106
You've pinpointed literally the entire reason that people kept playing Exalted 2e for so long.

>>46387108
They'd work better if the skills had more uses that don't depend on DM fiat.

I'd kill for a D&D variant that embraces skills working as part of a magical world like Runequest or Exalted. For an example of the latter, there's stuff like 'you can buy a minor spell powered by your Bureaucracy skill that gives a year-long blessing to any marriages you perform'.
>>
File: Capture.png (36 KB, 1701x402) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
36 KB, 1701x402
>>46387226
>>
>>46387244

Patrick Stewart is Nethys.

Apsu is Ian McKellen.

Gorum is Jeremy Irons.
>>
>>46387283
>NPC bustiness chart

Wait, has anyone made an actual bust chart for the waifus?
>>
>>46387031
Vigilante (Psychometrist) gains a bunch of implements which each replicate a spell like effect. It has access to rogue talents as well so you could pick up bombs etc. Toss in alchemy checks to make grenades or what not and that talent that gives you effectively infinite ammunition on thrown weapons..
>>
>>46387318

Not officially, but we always seem to come up with consistent rankings whenever tits, ass, hips or general waifu qualities comes up.
>>
>>46387228
Shows you auras, and then let's you make a Spellcraft check to identify. From there it's just research.
>>
>>46387283

She's not bad for bust, but has a better ass.
>>
>>46387132
Tara Strong?
>>
>>46387410

Ooh, that's a good one.
>>
How would one go about DM'ing an urban campaign? or would it be better off just having it be a small part of the campaign at large
>>
>>46387555

1. Make the city feel alive
2. Make players give a damn about the city
3. Focus on well-built NPCs which the party will run into often
4. Map EVERYTHING
>>
Would you rather:

(1) a Kineticist with martial maneuvers

(2) an initiator with Wild Talents
>>
File: PF Gray Maiden 3.jpg (36 KB, 414x630) Image search: [Google]
PF Gray Maiden 3.jpg
36 KB, 414x630
>>46387114
Gray Maidens are dope as hell.
>>
>>46387644
)3( suicide
>>
>>46387627
i was planning on mapping everything from the beginning as well as having a bunch of reoccurring NPC's who are just goofy tropes put into characters
I'm just having trouble coming up with a reason as to why the party would even be together in the first place
>>
File: 1321157693295.png (155 KB, 293x500) Image search: [Google]
1321157693295.png
155 KB, 293x500
>>46387269
Well, it WAS early Paizo, back when they just did stuff for 3.5.
>>
File: 1452814233437.jpg (112 KB, 748x1069) Image search: [Google]
1452814233437.jpg
112 KB, 748x1069
>>46387627
Take a page from Shadowrun, chummer

The Lich's Tower is a pharmaceutical building using human essence to prolong his immortality.

The dragon's horde is a megacorporation building with its own elite private army serving as security.

The sewers below are just as huge and vast as the cities above and now belong to the exiled and cast offs of society. Also, maybe a Minotaur or two.
>>
>>46387698
>I'm just having trouble coming up with a reason as to why the party would even be together in the first place

This is why some DMs prescribe a session 0.
Yes, its the DMs job to tell a story and tie the players to the story, but the players can lend a helping hand and forge some relationships between each other's characters as well.
>>
How do I build the ertw beguiler?
>>
>>46387960
Well, first qrty Dex, oicm Cha, then pdve a bit of Wis, and you're rtaf for the other stats. After that rtibj on social skills and sifgt illusion/enchantment spells.
>>
>>46387997
Funny joke.
I'm asking about ertw's conversion of the beguiler.
Ertw is a nickname or something of the dude who converted it.
>>
>>46388008
Jokes aside, that's basically solid advice.
DEX, CHA, bit of WIS, get your CHA skills and mindfuck spells.
>>
>tfw no DSP shitposting or shilling for literal days
Threads have never been better.
>>
>>46387555
Urban Rangers are fun as fuck - lawmen and bounty hunters who *can* take favoured enemy (humanoid) without being evil. Use a dog/mastiff or a bird as your animal companion.

Urban Druids are harder to do but possible.

Other than that, make a *ton* of npcs, drop lots of plot hooks. Map the shit out of things (play with city builders / look up how cities 'grow')
>>
File: 1458162900423.png (393 KB, 696x717) Image search: [Google]
1458162900423.png
393 KB, 696x717
Tell me pfg, what was your cutest character, I made a gnome wizard fluffed like a lalafell from ffxiv a while ago.
>>
>>46388382
I had a tiefling alchemist in a Rise of the Runelords campaign. I've got some mental health issues that make it so I don't consistently get social interaction, so it came as a surprise to me when the other players considered mine adorable. Pretty sure that one qualifies as "cutest" here.
>>
So what are the best special abilities on creatures in pathfinder for the lowest CR.
>>
>>46388621
Ghouls and their paralysis.
>>
>>46388720
>Ghoul Touch
>Watch the player cry and scream for the rest of combat
>>
>>46388621
pounce
>>
File: 1385152827189.jpg (44 KB, 600x738) Image search: [Google]
1385152827189.jpg
44 KB, 600x738
So I heard that DSP printed a feat that lets someone one-hand a two-handed weapon. What is it and where can I find it? Most importantly, why would you use it? Aren't most martial characters better off two-handing a weapon for the extra damage?
>>
>>46388792
Scarlet throne, duel wielding large weapons.
>>
>>46388792
In one of the new monster classes releases. You use it for two handed weapons having larger damage die, even though damage dice doesn't matter as much as flat bonuses (until you push it into 12d8 territory).
>>
For the scry and die argument. I've always had Detect Scrying being a thing more than nondetection. Then the castle be covered in teleportation traps. Permenancy is cheap enough to ward a large area safely.

When the king goes anywhere they put up temporary teleportation traps for his stay, plus they have a faster nearby ready to teleport him away to safety in case someone teleports in outside the teap's range and plans to storm the king's bed chambers or something.0
>>
File: 1455567352508.gif (871 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1455567352508.gif
871 KB, 245x230
What would you say is the best Adventure Path for a group who're all learning Pathfinder still? I've played for about 7 months before my group fell apart, so now I'm DMing for my friends who've all had some experience with tabletop, but not much with Pathfinder.

Giant Slayers looked fun, but I figured I'd ask the fa/tg/uys for ones that stand out as both really good or not worth playing.
>>
>>46388621
shadows
>>
>>46388888
Ask reddit. No one here plays pathfinder.
>>
>>46388856
Plus the king had an Iron Shield Golem
>http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-iron
>http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/shield-guardian

I normally give it bonded creature as well, so until the golem comes out its a tattoo on the king's skin and when called will spring out. I enjoy watching stupid PCs get beaten to death by the golem.
>>
>>46388888
Iron Gods is super fun.
>>
>>46388856
Fly and dimension door mean that as long as they know where he is, they can easily get there. Burrow...invisibility sphere...

Its really hard to protect yourself from adventures once they know where you are.
>>
>>46388941
See the thing is once they teleport in all the king needs is 1 round to teleport away. The teleport trap buys the round.
>>
>>46386444
Trips don't lie.
>>
>>46388888
Well if you want to see a really simple but traditional dungeon-crawl, Crypt of the Everflame demonstrates that really well and requires low-level characters (ie very very simple).
>>
>>46388792
It also lets you use Tower Shields without the attack penalty and bash with them. Why you'd ever use it I have no idea, but it's neat at least.
>>
File: Best in the West.jpg (79 KB, 600x1149) Image search: [Google]
Best in the West.jpg
79 KB, 600x1149
Give me just one reason, why I should not combine desperado and privateer archetypes for gun using warlord.
>>
>>46389318
makes you a weenie
>>
>>46389318
https://youtu.be/kKXyJpSBkg8?list=LLhXdfKe1iseVhiXnmj0MKzw
>>
>>46389330
Really mature and solid argument, Thank you.
>>
Holy fuck. I just got back from a fun as hell session, but my god, how broken is Boar Style? I'm playing a hobgoblin monk, so I'm avoiding the typical "one with everything" crap and going for a brutal fist-fighter style, and I'm not familiar with all the pathfinder feats. Asked my DM for suggestions when we leveled up last session and he told me Boar Style would be interesting.

We started off the session from a cliffhanger where some wizard summoned a giant monster frog and crab to attack us. I went first, landed both hits with Flurry of Blows, got the bonus flesh tearing damage and did so much damage that the DM ruled I literally just stepped up, grabbed the frog by the jaws and ripped it in half. That encounter went fast. Then we were attacked by water elementals. I rolled a crit, hit both times again and managed to deal 41 damage (did I mention that we're level *3* right now?) and from his random crit deck, the DM pointed out that, had I not just *punched the water hard enough to kill it* that I apparently would have made the water bleed. I just completely mowed down the opposition. And there are two more levels of this mother fucking feat to take that make it even more powerful. What the FUCK? How is something this broken even possible?
>>
>>46389318
Because Desperado were people who were land bound criminals, and privateers were sailors hunting bounties?
>>
File: Triwryd Towers (A Simmons).jpg (173 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Triwryd Towers (A Simmons).jpg
173 KB, 1024x768
>>46388269
Inner Sea Religions was released this week.

The same thing will happen when the Armor Master's Handbook comes out this month.
>>
>>46389380
I mean mechanically. I can rewrite fluff text to match my needs.
>>
Is there any feats gear etc that help someone either. gain more AOO do more damage when using aoo and so on?

I have combat reflexes as a feat already and the only weapon that seems to help with AOO is answering but that's only with the deed.
>>
>>46389318
>>46389403
There is no reason not to.
Elric has said that the privateer iconic is a desperato/privateer.
>>
>>46389375
You don't get to move and Flurry on the same turn, monks are immobile combatants unless it's the Unchained version. And you eat attack penalty for doing it, and you have medium BAB, and you needed to distribute attributes to 4 stats, so you probably don't have a good attack bonus but were instead extremely lucky. Cool you had fun though. If it turns out you are breaking some rules, ask that your group's prior interpretation be houseruled in anyway because monks are depressing normally.
>>
>>46389375
Boar Style's just 2d6 points man. It's not that much.
>>
>>46389422
Seize the Opportunity+Vital Strike line. You'll probably want to get something to improve your weapon's damage die to make the two-feat investment worth it, however.
>>
>>46389375
>Then we were attacked by water elementals.
>I rolled a crit
Niccccce
>>
>>46389463
I have deadly agility so my damage is dex for right now over str so that helps a bit
>>
How do I make an archery contest actually fun and engaging? It'll be one of the events in a festival coming up and one player in particular will want to do that one while the others compete at dueling and magic tricks and shit. Rolling the dice a few times won't just be dull, it also won't reward any real decision-making - just good RNG and one attribute, whereas the others can decide strategy for their events, respond differently based on what happens, and their multiple attributes and skills work for them multidimensionally.
>>
>>46389501
Make an opponent cheat and try to sabotage the PC.
The challenge isn't rolling well, it's deciding how to handle the cheating/setbacks.
>>
>>46388935
>bonded creature
Explain?
>>
>>46389463
Can't you make maneuvers while its not your turn? Or at least counters? Play a warder, use a big spear (or ask your DM to allow you to use a bec de corbin as the proper warhammer pick spear multiweapon it is while still having a shield).
>>
>>46389501
Blindfold the contestants, have the straw targets be moving, and make the prize based on both time spent and accuracy. Make each contestant shoot one arrow at each target per contest. Initiative, Perception, Fucking With Opponents and Attack all come into play for it.
>>
>>46386132
Aegis 20, Crystal Pauldrons +3, all your points stuffed into Flight.
>>
Did 4chan reincarnate for anyone else?
>>
>>46390107
Looks like it's Google+ now.
>>
>>46388382
Y'know, I tried to think of one, and it pains me to say that I haven't made any particularly adorable Pathfinder characters. It's kind of shameful.

My friend is starting up a Rise of the Runelords campaign soon enough-- any suggestions on adorable character concepts that would fit the adventure path? Our group is pretty cool with 3rd party or even homebrew, so long as it isn't horribly imbalanced.
>>
>>46386445

Unless their characters are all idiots, or their players are willing to play them as such for your benefit, yes you are.
>>
Also get your hands on the form-astral-armor psi power, for another 5-6 points to work with.
>>
>>46385913
How do you make mythic adventures stand out from standard adventures? Mythic seems redundant unless you treat it as PF's divine ranks.
>>
>>46390705
Generally, just use mythic monsters in place of normal ones.

It's a nice counter to the usual low-key metagaming: nobody can really pretend they don't know what a... say, a mummy... can do. So you use a mythic mummy for the big fight instead, and it's got sand control powers and can create spawn, and none of the players expect it, and it's neat.

In terms of player capabilities, I'd never go above tier 3 in a serious game, and never allow the Wild Arcana and divine equivalent powers. Casters benefit WAY more than martials and it only skews the balance even further.
>>
>>46390705
My PCs are overpowered minmaxed pieces of shit, so throwing mythic monsters at them occasionally helps keep them from curbstomping everything.
>>
>>46390765
>>46390786
>>46390705
How do you make mythic stand out in terms of fluff? In a world where high level non-mythic characters are superheroes, why would anyone find mythic special?
>>
>>46390832
You don't.

Mythic is thematically braindead, because mythic implies "mythic" powers and "mythic" goals, when most of the PCs > 15 level are already mythic in scale and powers. Mythic is ultimately redundant with the level system.

It is also a clusterfuck. What is the compared strength of a mythic 10 level 1 character, against a level 10 characters? What does it mean when you are a mythic 20 level 1? Level 5 mythic 5 ? Level 10 mythic 0?
>>
>>46390832
Mythic is basically "I'm better than you" on a different level. A lot of Mythic abilities straight up work differently when used on non-mythic opponents (IIRC, a VERY common effect is that, if you aren't mythic, you get NO save vs some mythic effects).

The level 5 Wizard with Mythic 10? He's the one who can actually affect a level 20 character with a save or suck spell with NO save. That's an accomplishment.
>>
>>46390880
The mythic rules state that mythic ranks/tiers should scale with level/cr on a 1:2 basis.
>>
>>46390832
>>46390880
I replaced the surge mechanic with a free pick from the Display of X powers, with scaling changed to +10 per tier instead of a static +20. It works out pretty well when, for instance, the Str guys can bull rush giants, or the bard can charm literally anyone when he turns up the heat. Absurd static bonuses are ironically the least likely thing in mythic to break the game.
>>
>>46390899
I like to think of it as Merlin versus Niviane. One's got all the levels and skill, but the other can drop a single Binding and just say "lol fuck you old man, stuck in this tomb forever, no save".

>>46390910
Which is part of the reason stuff like WotR falls apart, because pretty much everyone agreed in the end that tier-mythic like PCs get is worth a level per tier if not more. HAHA NO NEED TO PLAYTEST THOUGH RIGHT GUYS?
>>
>>46390705
If you're familiar with the 3.x Immortals Handbook (playable d20 gods), mythic ranks/tiers seem to scale neatly 1:1 with divine ranks.

>>46390832
If mythic exists at all, it becomes mandatory after a certain level.
>>
File: Path of War 1 Errata.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Path of War 1 Errata.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hello all. How are you on this fine day? I'm stopping in to say that we've completed the Path of War 1 errata, which I've attached to this post.

In addition, in the spirit of the day, we've also assembled a release of less-than-serious character options for your games, compatible with Path of War and other DSP products. This release includes several archetypes, a new prestige class, a race, and a monster class, and is completely free. It can be found here:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/179672/April-Augmented?src=slider_view
>>
>>46391074
This is Forrest, btw. Seems like it wiped my tripcode to add a new name.
>>
>>46391005
Isn't the Immortals Handbook a heaping rancid pile of dog feces?
>>
>>46391087
Why do the non-DSP classes only get 6th level maneuvers?
Seems like a fucking terrible idea
>>
>>46391170
They've answered this a million times fuckwit.
>>
>>46391074
If reach is increased instead of threatened area, remove the sentences about moving?
And the whole warlord section being cut off.
>>
>>46391170
To rehash - again - Because they ran the numbers and just level 6 maneuvers can still operate effectively at high level. Additionally, they have full initiator levels, so prestige classes and feats that grant maneuvers can still break the level 6 cap, as they'll be working on initiator level rather than the Archetype table.
>>
>>46391233
look up Tome of Battle errata
>>
File: brokenErrata.jpg (57 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
brokenErrata.jpg
57 KB, 400x266
>>46391074
Nifty.
Though it seems there was a copy-paste issue with the Warlord area: see pic related.
>>
>>46391262
Those cheeky bastards.
>>
>>46391087
Forrest, about the april augmented archetype, where's the medic class? Can't seem to find it.
Also, Harbinger doesn't have Riven Hourglass. Is Edge Lord meant to replace Shattered Mirror instead?
>>
>>46391448
Final version of Harbinger has Throne, Razor, Mirror, Moon, and Hourglass.
>>
File: lonecube_1920x1200.jpg (297 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
lonecube_1920x1200.jpg
297 KB, 1920x1200
>>46391074

>Gelatinous Cube Monster Class

I am sure I can find a use for this...
>>
>>46391448
It refers to Worldthought Medic, a really old precursor to the vitalist from their 3.5 days.
>>
>>46391520
Bullshit, the features don't match.
>>
>>46391140
Only because the d20 rules break down at high levels. On ENWorld someone made a sentient replicating black hole with statistics in the millions using that and a couple other books.

Otherwise, how do you represent gods in game statistics? Nobilis?
>>
So in last nights session my guy got hit by a suffocation spell. I failed the initial fort save and passed the second one. If i had saved the third one wouldn't that have gotten rid of the effect entirely since the duration is only 3 rounds?
>>
>>46391576
You'd have only gotten to the second stage of the spell, which is -1 HP and dying. Then the spell would end, and you'd still be at -1 HP and dying, but you wouldn't be dead.
>>
>>46391625
Doesn't saving delay the next round though?
>>
>>46391575
Well, yes, but the d20 rules DO break down at high levels, which makes people who attempt to write a book for super-high-level monsters idiots, and makes trying to publish the result absolute shit.

The game doesn't even really make it TO 20th, much less past.
>>
>>46391654
How do they break down?
>>
>>46391647
Ah, I misread that you'd failed the third save. Yeah, you'd be unconscious at 0 HP, and then presumably wake up and be disabled at 0 HP when the spell duration ran out.

It's possible you could read it as allowing a second save before you went unconscious, but that's dependent on 'target's next turn' being in a different round from the casting of the spell, which I think the writer's just failed to account for.
>>
>>46391270
That's... the joke
>>
>>46391781
I mean, it's a joke based off of something that came out 8-9 years ago? I can easily see some people not knowing where it came from.
>>
>>46391781

Bethany is a glossy-eyed cow with terrible breath and zero creativity, what did you honestly expect?
>>
>>46391880
Jewell we all know you're jealous because she left you for Wendy Yates. Get over it and update your tinder profile or something.
>>
Testing one two
>>
>>46391930
Shut up, Theresa, you're just bitchy because we all saw your husband making out w/ Pablo.
>>
>>46391837
It's a joke based on a fairly well known (in the 3.5 community) fuckup regarding the book that PoW is based on.

I can't stop laughing
>>
>>46391781
The joke is that it's stuck in layout hell forever?
>>
>>46391968
Well at least I HAVE a husband
>>
>>46391990
Right, but that was almost a decade ago. There are a lot of pathfinder players who never played 3.5, much less took a look at specific book errata. Still funny.
>>
>>46391950
no one cares kara
>>
>>46392016

Kyle, shouldn't you be in the cuck shed looking after your wife's son? I heard Jamal was coming over for some quality time with your woman.

I hope you added soundproofing to that thing, I hear she's a screamer!
>>
>>46391687
Numbers climb to infinity, reality warping, etc.
>>
>>46385913
>Play mostly Frontliners/Heavy-Hitters
>join a game
>all frontliner slots taken
Figured now might be as good of a time as any to try something new, with a Bard. Are there any archetypes that help use the whip? Failing that, should I shoot for Improved Trip before Weapon Focus?
>>
>>46392083
Frontliner... slots? Are you not allowed to just play what you want as long as it jives with the party?
>>
>>46392033
at least I kept my last name instead of you taking on my wife's you gender traitor.
>>
>>46392131
Eddie, are you off your meds again? You know they don't work unless you take them every day.
>>
>>46392115
I worded that badly
We were a little lacking on anything that wasn't "beat stick". Figured it might be good to do
>>
>>46392131

Hey, lemme see if I have that webm, the one where your wife's begging Jamal to, and I quote, "shove that hard nigger dick up my ass, I want my husband to hear it."
>>
>>46392115

Welcome to the realities of being in an "optimized" party.

If you're being redundant, you might as well leave.
>>
What the fuck happened with the layout? It's different now, the posts are spaced out and all the pictures have been turned to circles. Did 4chan change, or is this an update to Appchan X?
>>
File: Ballista Roman.jpg (13 KB, 236x215) Image search: [Google]
Ballista Roman.jpg
13 KB, 236x215
Does anybody here have an approxamite weight on the Light Ballista? I need to contrive a way for my Dwarf Siege Mage to be able to carry one around on his back.
>>
>>46392343
Look at the date.
>>
>>46392343
It's April 1st. 4chan is now Google.
>>
>>46392343
Welcome to Google+ Imageboards (formerly 4chan), the newest addition to the Google brand!
>>
>>46392351
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/siege-engines

Light: This common type of ballista, also called an arbalest or scorpion, is size Large, maneuverable, and often mounted atop towers or even vehicles. Light ballistae have a hardness of 5 and 50 hit points. Light ballista bolts cost 10 gp each and weigh 10 pounds.
>>
>>46392278
I worded it badly, that's all.
I'm just trying to help fill the party out some
>>
>>46392357
>>46392362
>>46392363
>>46392378

Yeah, as I kept scrolling I noticed everyone has names and then I realized what the deal was. Okay, as long as this is temporary, I can swallow it. On the plus side, I get to be a real girl now, based on the name the system has randomly generated for me.
>>
>>46392378
But thats just for the bolts. I need to know what the Ballista itself weighs.
>>
>>46392390
Oh shit, it didn't do that for me since I hadn't actually refreshed all day. Now I have and I hate you.
>>
>>46392390
I think it's a different name every time you post.
>>
>>46392412
Oh, whoops. Well the light ballista is a large size making it a 10x10 square so I don't assume your dwarf will ever be able to carry it.
>>
>>46392441
Yeah, it is. I noticed that on my second post. Makes sense actually, even for an April Fool's joke, removing everyone's anonymity would be a bit much.
>>
What classes have a way to attack with Con and don't lose out too much from lost levels? Spellcasting is not really an option due to the lost levels, though initiating might be.
>>
>>46388382
>LG Gnome Spiritualist falsely accused of murder and sent off to work at the marble quarries in Anchor's End
>The captain runs into a ship carrying prisoners to Nidal and decides to trade her and some others to them for supplies
>Just goes through the whole thing with a smile, even joking about how an old priest of Aroden said at her trial that she was clearly "possessed by an evil spirit"
>Which, now that she thinks about it, is probably referring to her Hatred Phantom, Vebrequos
>still remains upbeat throughout
>>
>>46392466
>spellcasting not an option
Then literally no class can do that, only scarred witch doctor witch or spherecasting. Sucks to be you, cuck.
>>
>>46391074
>Edge Lord Harbinger

I'm fucking dying.
>>
I have to raise a banshee. Has anyone raised a banshee before what has your experience with banshees been? Also do banshees retain any class levels?
>>
>>46392452
But its not like it actually fills 10x10 squares of space, I think its just a manner of weight.
>>
File: PZO1132-Yoon.jpg (192 KB, 808x1000) Image search: [Google]
PZO1132-Yoon.jpg
192 KB, 808x1000
>>46392466
>>46392492
Well, there is ONE class that gets Con to damage...
>>
>>46392466
Is this about the gelatinous cube?
Go Cube 4/Warder X

You don't lose much from the huge dex penalty, and you paralyze enemies with every AoO.
>>
>>46387226
Having played and Empiricist Investigator without knowing anything about them just cause I had a fun idea, I can agree. My skills were all YES. One of our players got extremely salty because he was the skillmonkey before my other character died and I brought in the investigator. Suddenly, I was more proficient at more skills in more places than he was, AND I had alchemy.
I mean, he was playing a chained rogue so I guess it's not surprising, but even I was shocked at how trivial investigator makes skills. I went back and looked at the module later, there was literally not a skill check I could have failed with just my modifier alone.
>>
>>46392556
Kineticists are pretty badly hurt by multiclassing; the DSP archetypes even moreso to an extent.
>>
>>46392557

It totally is. Because I'm being silly.
>>
>>46392530
One tries.
>>
File: img-453010448.jpg (75 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
img-453010448.jpg
75 KB, 768x576
>>46392556
>you will never carry the party while carrying an unconscious Yoon who's Burned herself out
Why even play a caster?
>>
>>46392466
Daevic can form the Crimson Totem veil, which lets you do this with a magic greatclub made of magic blood or something
>>
>>46392530
Remember that time we randomly generated a Harbinger? Didn't he come out as an eighteen year old edgelord who had multiple near-death experiences or something?
>>
>>46391074
Is it just me or does the edegelord harbinger look kindagood?
>>
>>46392466
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/raging-brutality
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.