[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DM Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: XTiK0bd.jpg (26 KB, 500x671) Image search: [Google]
XTiK0bd.jpg
26 KB, 500x671
Do you let your players know the AC of a monster?
>>
File: 1457381414907.jpg (97 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1457381414907.jpg
97 KB, 480x640
>>46384516
Only when they hit the exact number, to speed up fighting.
>>
They usually figure it out pretty fast
>>
>>46384516
Only indirectly by letting them know when they hit and asking for a damage roll. I guess I could be even more cryptic and get them to always roll damage and pretend to adjust hit points when they miss, using concrete description to actually tell them how well they're doing. (e.g. A miss with 15 damage is "you barely pink the beast, but at least you got it angry" while a hit that does 6 might be "you're drawing blood - just not very much".)

But I wouldn't do that without players who like being confused and/or solving that sort of puzzle.
>>
>>46384516

"These guys are wearing studded leather and carrying shields."

"Your weapon passes right through the ghost; it doesn't even notice."

"Your crazy old grandmother always told you, 'Silver for devils, cold-wrought iron for demons.' You're not sure which this is, and you have neither sort of weapon handy."
>>
>>46384516
Initially not beyond 'probably not good' or 'way the fuck armored'

After a few rounds, they've got it down to a range of a few numbers and I'll just tell them.
>>
>>46384516
No need, considering it's a relatively static difficulty that's being rolled against multiple times, they'll figure it out.

I mean, if they haven't figured out that a 14 misses and a 15 hits means that the monster has an AC of 15 then they're hopelessly retarded.
>>
>Give an enemy the dodge feat
>Players flip out and try to murder you when one player hits on a 16 but the other doesn't.
>>
File: gondola gondemblades.jpg (31 KB, 604x452) Image search: [Google]
gondola gondemblades.jpg
31 KB, 604x452
>PC in my group is a rogue
>has ridiculous mods for sleight of hand
>"Oh that's good, you can pick any locks that get in the way of progre-"
>"I ROLL TO PICKPOCKET THE OTHER PARTY MEMBERS"
>"...But....Teamwork..."
>"33 TO PICKPOCKET! WHAT DO I GET?"
>"..."

How do stop this?
>>
>>46385443
Hang him.
>>
File: 1455156288633.jpg (370 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455156288633.jpg
370 KB, 1200x1200
>>46385443
You're not going to. Anyone that plays a rogue is, by their nature a complete asshole. Same for warlocks.

I've been DMing for 10 years, and I have yet to meet anyone that this is untrue for.
>>
>>46385443
Give the party huge situational bonuses to spot it.
>>
>>46385443
You look them square in the eye and tell them to stop being an asshole or get the fuck out, you fucking beta piece of shit.
>>
>>46384516
So thats a yellow gameboy brick?
i know that they had a clear one and many color for pocket, but i never heard of color bricks
>>
>>46385443
Say no.
>>
>>46385540
Now, now, just because a vast number of assholes choose the rogue class to enable their dickishness under the cloak of being "in character", it doesn´t mean all of us rogue players are assholes.

Though I must concede that I have met a not-insignificant number of GMs scarred by dickass rogue players.

Man, I hate the bad rep they give us. Makes me wanna shank them in the kidneys and leave ´em in the gutter for the dusties.

>>46385443
Kindly remind them that their fun shouldn´t override the other players´ by smacking them over the head with the rulebook and telling them to stop being a dick.

Alternatively, you could introduce an item that´s too tempting (though not too obviously so) to resist, and later reveal it had a marking/tracking spell, such as an invisible rune that acts up if gets separated from its owner. Think of a magic Low-Jack of sorts. Once discovered by the party, just let things run their course.
>>
>>46385443
Have your party carry armed bear traps in their pockets....duh
>>
>>46384516
Yes. Including the custom ones.
It really speeds things up to just say "you need to roll X to hit those guys and Y to hit these guys".
>>
File: 1456685195474.jpg (51 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1456685195474.jpg
51 KB, 680x680
>>46384516
>straight up telling the numbers
>not using keywords to reveal the difficulty of the task
shiggy diggy

"It's trivial to do."
"You can easily hit it."
"It's a bit challenging to perform."
"This is gonna be a hard task."
"It's gonna be extremely hard to do."
"This is almost impossible."
"You just don't have it to succeed."
>>
>>46385443
Why should you? Party strife can be fun, if done right. But only as long as everyone is okay with the idea.

If you or your players really do not want this, then just fucking tell him to stop, and stop inviting him to games if he doesn't.
>>
>>46384516
There's no reason not to, and it makes combat go faster.
>>
>>46388197
Party strife is fun when the party already has cohesion but then come to a conflict about something new happening.

"new guy tries to steal shit right outta the gate" is NOT fun party conflict.
At this point, he isn't even party from character pov. He's a scammer that tried to steal their shit. Tell me how the party would react to an NPC doing that? But because he's PC there's a meta pressure to endure it; and this conflict is not fun.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.