[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3.5, Pathfinder, 4e, 5e, GURPS, etc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: wizards_dnd_35_reprint.jpg (56 KB, 450x317) Image search: [Google]
wizards_dnd_35_reprint.jpg
56 KB, 450x317
What is your preferred system for gaming?
>Explain
>>
>>46382196
I'm autistic, asking me to explain my answer is an ableist act akin to taking away a cripple's wheelchair.
>>
>>46382196
It depends on who I'm playing with. Some groups really like the deck-building subgame in 3.x/pf, so I generally give them 3.5 because it's slightly more robust than the other two. Some people want to roll dice & get down to it, so it's Classic for them. Others want to get down with their GoThiK emotions, and Storyteller/Storytelling has good gimmicks for dealing with that.

With respect to the GURPS scene and no respect whatsoever for D&D universalists, there's no one true system to rule them all.
>>
>>46382196
The longest running campaign I was ever in (ran just shy of 2 years) was a 4E game and to this day I wish they would just release the builder for free for it.

However, my personal favorite system as of now is actually 5e. It just hits all the right notes with me (except the Ranger).

I've played many other systems (White Wolf, FATE, Call of Cthulhu, WFRPG 2e, etc), but D&D just keeps calling me back.
>>
Depends on what I want to run.

D&D 4e is my favoured system for fantasy schlock, with the best mechanics of any D&D edition and a good amount of content that only takes a little tweaking to work smoothly.

Legends of the Wulin is my go to system for high action dramatic storytelling, which is something I enjoy and thus fits most games I run. Although it was designed for Wuxia martial arts stuff, I've used it for mecha, magical girls and even some weird fantasy stuff, and it works great. The mechanics are sublime, once you get past the awful editing which sets the barrier to entry way, way higher than it needs to be.
>>
>>46382196
5e. the streamlining of the rules really refined the gameplay for me anyway. Its also much more beginner friendly than PF so including new people has been much easier.

3.5/PF was too clunky ruleswise. We were always were checking the book for the exact rule.a lot of options but a lot of trap options too.

I've never played 4e so I can't really speak for it or against it but everyone I've talked to about it hated it. granted that's anecdotal and based off of 3 people I've talked to about it.
>>
File: friend computer.png (183 KB, 794x1123) Image search: [Google]
friend computer.png
183 KB, 794x1123
Paranoia. No other system has a skill called "boot-licking", or instantly delivered replacement clones in place of HP.
>>
>>46382196

GURPS, it's like Legos or Minecraft. Pretty easy for me to socket something together for a quick game, and connected enough to real life that I can intro a newbie into the concept quickish.

Fate's tons of fun. Burning Wheel (Mouseguard version) is nice and quick. Reading up on Ryuutama when I have the energy to do so.

I can do D&D. I fucking hate WoD (balance issues and dice mechanics can lick my clit) even though I think the settings are cool.

My Borgstronomy is not good enough for groking SR.

(Yeah, I'm weird, I like either CRUNCH ATTACK GURPS, or the soft gentle collaborative story telling stuff.)
>>
>>46382196
I absolutely love 4e, fell in love with it after an almost decade break with D&D stemming from a deep hatred for the release of 3e and all of its OGL derivatives. Enjoy 2e for the nostalgia, and both versions of WoD.
>>
>>46382196
fudge/fate hybrid homebrew
>>
File: DnDBasic.jpg (146 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
DnDBasic.jpg
146 KB, 600x777
>>46382196
Etc.

Minimalist rules keep things simple and straight to the point. Easy to learn, easy to play, easy to run, and easy to modify. The only big problem with it is the lack of a unified mechanic. I'd love to see an updated version of it.
>>
>>46382196
Advanced D&D, Dark Heresy 2e, and D&D 5e. With 5e being the preferred of those three.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.