[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what do you guys know about the GUMSHOE system? Would it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: ELD-Trail-of-Cthulhu.jpg (103 KB, 792x1024) Image search: [Google]
ELD-Trail-of-Cthulhu.jpg
103 KB, 792x1024
So, what do you guys know about the GUMSHOE system?

Would it be a good choice for street-level investigative super heroes, in the veins of Daredevil and Jessica Jones?
>>
File: AA Gumshoe.png (108 KB, 283x346) Image search: [Google]
AA Gumshoe.png
108 KB, 283x346
>>46380429
Gumshoe?
>>
Do you want to run a game with actual mystery? If so, GUMSHOE is awful for it. The core concept behind it is if a player HAS the right skill, they get the clue no matter what. If no player has the skill, you shouldn't use that clue. So the actual mystery is written out of the story.
>>
>>46380429
>Would it be a good choice for street-level investigative super heroes, in the veins of Daredevil and Jessica Jones?

There's an AW hack about CW-type superheroes. I can't remember the title's name, though.
>>
>>46380429
>in the veins of Jessica Jones?
I doubt it has special mechanics for taking nigger dick
>>
>>46381906

>>/pol/
>>
>>46380429
Gumshoe is a good system for GMs who have no experience running mystery games in the same way that Dread is good for first time horror GMs. It gives you a lot less to worry about does a good job of preventing rookie mistakes but if you have experience running mystery games the core mechanic of the system can do more harm than good.
>>
>>46382712

And why is that?
How exactly does it work?
>>
>>46383197
Basically the players are allowed to decide when they find a clue a certain number of times every session. It becomes more about recourse management than actual investigating.

The system was made to avoid a critical mistake that most GMs new to mystery games will make, that is hinging the acquisition of vital clues on dice rolls thereby leaving a certain percentage chance that the entire game will come to a stand still because a player didn't roll well enough to find a clue. Like I said it's a fine system for people still learning the ropes but the real secret to running successful mystery games is being able to describe a scene well enough that the players can piece things together while rolling the dice as little as possible. Once you can do that Gumshoe sort of becomes obsolete.
>>
>>46383784

Hm, alright. Which system would be best suited for what I'm trying to do then?
>>
>>46383838
Do you have any experience running mystery games?
>>
>>46383902

Not really. I've ran WoD before, but it wasn't really a mystery game.
>>
>>46383965
Probably Gumshoe. If you're feeling confident you can try pretty much any rule light system that doesn't favor combat as the primary problem solving method. Call of Cthulhu (BRP) is the most obvious choice but I'm not sure if it would fit the kind of supers game you want to do. I'm not too familiar with WoD but I've heard a lot of people refer to it as a supers game.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.