[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good alternative to hitpoints?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10
File: HitPoints.jpg (65 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
HitPoints.jpg
65 KB, 750x600
What is a good alternative to hitpoints?
>>
File: Ironclaw Damage rules.png (1 MB, 814x934) Image search: [Google]
Ironclaw Damage rules.png
1 MB, 814x934
Ironclaw has a good system. Calculate the total damage an attack does then apply all status effects from that and lesser amounts of damage. If a character is already suffering from a status effect, nothing happens when it is applied a second time.
>>
>>46377602
Seems kinda interesting, but all I can really see is death spirals.
>>
>>46377602

It's theoretically okay system, but it's shit when it tells the player how their character feels and doesn't fit all systems. There are plenty of characters that when injured in combat go into an autistic frenzy and fight that much harder or simply don't give a fuck.

Other than that, I like it.
>>
Wounds. In the system I am currently designing a character (at their base) can sustain the following:

Four Minor wounds
Three Major Wounds
Two Severe Wounds
One Deadly Wound

At the beginning of each encounter a character can take four 'ticks' which represent luck/guile before he begins taking wounds. After that every time he would take a tick he instead takes a wound. Different weapons inflict different severity of wounds. For instance, fists inflict minor, a shotgun inflicts severe.

If someone is in a protracted fist fight and take four minor wounds then they are out of that level. If they are to take another minor wound it is instead a major.

What occurs when taking a wound is the following. If the character succeeded by a degree (rolled more than 50% higher than the opposed roll) he may either choose which limb the wound was inflicted to (here are six categories) or inflict a secondary lesser wound (a major and a minor, or a severe and a major, wound rules still apply for upgrading wounds).

One then rolls on the wound chart and it tells you what penalties that wound gives you. After that wounds take an amount of time to heal. A major wound takes a week, a severe takes three weeks, a deadly takes six weeks. This is of course requiring proper treatment. (Minor wounds take one day each).
>>
>>46377710
>There are plenty of characters that when injured in combat go into an autistic frenzy and fight that much harder or simply don't give a fuck.

Myriad Song (sci-fi game, same basic ruleset) has a gift* called Frenzy that lets you go berserk as a free action. If the berserk status is applied to an afraid character, afraid is removed when berserk is applied.

So if you want a character who goes into a frenzy when injured, they take that gift during character creation. Then, when they take enough damage to become afraid, they just activate frenzy. Afraid is removed, berserk is applied. Frenzy also increases a characters soak when they are berserk.

*What Ironclaw calls a gift would be called a talent in most systems.

>>46377685
I can see why you would think that. But it's not something I've seen while playing. Instead I've seen:
- Parties have one character who spends their turn removing reeling/afraid from the rest of the party by using the rally action. (roll some dice. Each success means they can remove one status effect from one character if rally removes it).
- Character gets afraid and either runs away, or hides for a turn until it goes away then returns to battle.
- NPCs are going from uninjured to dying in one hit because players have a powerful weapon.
>>
GURPS's hp system.

The more damage you take, the more penalties you amass and the more likely you are to pass out/drop dead at any given moment unless you stop fighting.

Most fights end with someone passing out, and being perfectly capable of being saved with immediate medical treatment.
>>
>>46377602
I like this, but only if you added simple will saves or your equivalent to not be afraid. 90% of the time PCs want to be a hero, or at very least, a badass. Badasses don't quit when they get hurt. How to balance this, that's actually hard.
>>
is there a system where the weapons have the status like
sword:10% chance to deep cut 90%chance to minor cut

and you can have like 3 minor cuts until you start bleeding or something
>>
>>46378255
There are three basic ways to reduce how often a PC is afraid:
- Don't get hit often.
- Take a gift that reduces how often you are hit by afraid. There are several options that can be taken at character creation.
- Have a support character who is built to rally the party. They take their turn first each round*, rallies the other players, then they have their turns without trouble. This is the most common option I've seen players take, which lets them be badasses as long as the support character remains safe. Just like players do in games where they have a dedicated healbot in the party.

*Players get to choose what order they take their turns in.
>>
>>46376405
Thought about a system once, where the characters have different targetpoints, like arms, legs, upper body, and head who have each different healthpoints.

hits to arms and legs only weaken your character
hits to the upperbody are or can be deadly
hits to head the head are deadly (most of the time), but aren't easy to hit.

Maybe not the best system, but would make more sense....
>>
>>46378634
One Roll Engine (at least, those most like Reign) use a system like that, as well as shock/killing damage types. It works pretty well, from what I've tried of it.
>>
>>46376405
hitpoints are good if done well, ie not having 100+ hitpoints
>>
Mutants and Masterminds 2E

you make saves or your condition gets worse until you die

Runequest - each part of your body has it's own hit points and armor
>>
>>46379742
can you give an example of mutants and masterminds condition?
>>
>>46379631
>hitpoints are good if done well, ie not having 100+ hitpoints

I think ludicrous scaling is where hp goes wrong. When you have two identical-looking guys, one with 8 hp and one with 200, then things start don't make sense.

Shadowrun has a system that's not quite hp, and is pretty good for that only-somewhat-better-than-human feel. Characters get between 9-14 of these "damage boxes", in two tracks each (lethal and nonlethal, basically), depending on what choices they made in chargen, and that number doesn't change much. For perspective, some of the weakest, dinkiest guns have a base damage of 6. It puts a big priority on defense (i.e. help you not get hit), using cover, and having strong armor. Getting hurt means the character takes a wound penalty to everything they do. The best defense against bullets is not getting shot in the first place, armor is not optional at all (two hits can easily kill an unarmored runner), and all but the beefiest endgame PCs will get turned into chunky salsa if a grenade or rocket goes off at their feet.
>>
>>46378600

Rallyong doesn't make you feel badass, it makes you a little bitch that needs another guy yell at them to not drop their shit.

Mechanics that tell players how they feel or act are always shit, unless those effects are magic or the like.
>>
>>46376405
Not getting hit points
>>
>>46376405
Drinking a shot of your favorite alcohol, if you pass out your character is dead
>>
Roll 2D6+CON
If 10+ Your are fine just some little wounds
if 7-9 take a -1 next time you roll for this
fail you took a hard one
>>
>>46376405
>What is a good alternative to hitpoints?
Dwarf Fortress's damage system.
Enjoy your MORTAL WOUND
>>
>>46381726
>DF
>MORTAL WOUND
Bitch I'm in armor. All a sword will do is maybe bruise my fat.

Though I am partial to the gruesome shit that happens to people in DF after a fight, lying around vomiting and bleeding everywhere, fading in and out of consciousness in a puddle of limbs and unpleasant bodily fluids.
>>
>>46376405
Honestly, Dark Heresy's system seems like a good balance between HP and actual wounds.

You have a small pool of HP, which typically falls off after 1-2 hits. Afterwards, you start taking penalties based off of damage type and hit location, as well as amount of damage, starting with "that really hurt!" and ending with stuff like "your arm is blown off", "you die", and "you die spectacularly".
>>
>>46376405
>What is a good alternative to hitpoints?
Not complaining about a game mechanic...
>>
>>46376405
Based on the image, the alternative to hit points as meat is hit points as fortune.

If you read a pulp fantasy novel, there isn't a lot of progressively worse damage being received. John Carter hardly gets hit unless he's in a really bad situation, and even when he's losing blood it doesn't seem to make him less deadly. Conan is a bit more prone to showing colour, but he's such a badass that it just doesn't matter. Fafhrd loses a hand without slowing down, and I struggle to recall the Mouser incurring serious injury.

So if you're trying to emulate that kind of adventure (and Gygax was), hit points should be a system where the heroes slowly run out of luck, then suddenly take a mortal wound and go down bleeding. It's a really good design that's been chronically ill-explained through the ages.

At this stage, someone will pitch in with a canard like, "What about CURE spells? They say that they CURE WOUNDS so when you have hit point loss you have to get your WOUNDS CURED!!!eleven" To which I say - whatever. If you insist on the cosmetic detail, use scrapes and bruises to represent characters running out of luck. Or in other words, characters lose hit points to turn lethal wounds into superficial wounds. Characters that can't lose hit points get horribly wrecked.
>>
>>46382237
>If you read a pulp fantasy novel, there isn't a lot of progressively worse damage being received

If you read Arthurian legend, however, everyone gets some pretty grievous injuries, and the protagonists are no exception. Hauberks get hacked to pieces, swords dive deep to the bone, shields are cracked and shivered until they're unusable, lances go a full meter through their targets' chests, blood runs in rivers, horses and men alike are cleaved in half, some blows drive straight to the brains and leave their victims to die days later, and so on.

Of course, the protagonists are usually fine after less than a month of care, that is assuming they don't stumble into some guy's hot cousins who happen to be master surgeons. In which case they can be cured in less than a week if their injuries weren't too bad.
>>
>>46379631
>>46380037

The opposite of the truth for very many players out there. It's all fine and well designing game systems for erudite people such as yourself, but sometimes you want your system to attract plebs such as me as well.

The single biggest advantage of using a single pool hitpoint system is that you can easily inflate numbers. With location based damage or multiple tracks you have to keep the numbers small to keep the system manageable.

Plebs like me enjoy numbers getting larger during the campaign. I want the character to turn into a 200 hp guy who can take a sword strike to the meat points and not give a shit. He doesn't need functioning arteries or tendons any more, I worried about that when he had 8 hp.
>>
>>46376405
less hitpoints
>>
>>46383344
I had house rules for RQ6 like this:
>HP pool is total of all locations
>HP hits zero, roll location - location receives serious or major wound based on amount the amount of damage landed.
>On critical combat success you can use an effect to inflict a serious wound.
>Choose location is still important for armor.

No you don't get 200HP, but you also only ever take 3-6 damage even at "high level play" except for particularly brutal hits. It does let your character take a beating before being wounded too.
>>
>>46376405
No hitpoints, fights are resolved in one roll.

e.g. https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Samurai_Movie_RPG
>>
File: 1440579334950.jpg (158 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1440579334950.jpg
158 KB, 1920x1080
>>46376405
what if we had a game not based entirely around combat
>>
>>46383724
But then what would HP stand for?

Happiness pellets?
>>
File: feeling hopeless.png (193 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
feeling hopeless.png
193 KB, 400x400
>>46383887
Hope Points
>>
>>46377602
>only the first two matter for combat resolution
>the rest is just additional maiming
Can't say I like it.
>>
>>46383930
I ran out of those years ago
>>
>>46383887
Hunger Points. They express the extent to which hunger and starvation are currently affecting your character.
>>
>>46380479
I disagree, I think it encourages leader roles and better RP. Think Captain America in the Avengers; he's not the strongest or toughest but he's the one that's going to motivate the others to keep fighting when the odds seem stacked against them.

In a perfect world with good RPers you wouldn't need to have a mechanic decide what a character feels, but with bad RPers they're always going to play their char as unflinching and doesn't afraid of anything. On the other hand, a good RPer isn't going to bitch about their character taking a fear condition and is instead going to use it as inspiration to play the scene better.

It's not going to be a good fit for everyone but I don't think it's automatically shit
>>
>>46383887
Shut the fuck up Flowey
>>
>>46377775
Excuse me, but how does this differ from regular HP? Your system basically has 4 minor HP, 3 major HP, 2 severe HP, and 1 deadly HP, with penalties rolled every time HP is damaged.

I mean, it's still the same "you have a set of numbers and the numbers go down when you're hit".
>>
I enjoy Star Wars SAGA edition's solution. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a quick and easy method of reconciling hit points and debilitating effects in a d20-based system.

Basically you have your HP which works as usual. You also have your Damage Threshold (DT) and the Condition Track (CT). When you take damage, it subtracts from HP as normal. If the damage is greater than your DT (say your DT is 10 and you take 13 damage) you condition worsens (move down one step on the CT). The CT gives you cumulative penalties to rolls/defense/movement until eventually you're unconscious. Similarly, losing all your HP just knocks you out; you only die if you drop to 0 HP and take damage greater than your DT on the same attack.

As a result, you can be slowly whittled down by low-damage attacks until you're knocked out (say, a bar fight) while a high-HP character might be able to survive a hit from a blaster cannon to the face, they're not going to be tanking hit after hit of ridiculous damage just because they have HP to spare. It also means that unintentional deathblows are rare, which fits thematically for SW.
>>
>>46384306
>how does this differ from regular HP?
Not that anon, but taking them actually penalizes the character, each wound is tracked separately alongside its location, different wound severities take different amounts of time to heal.

With regular HP, hit location rarely matters, the wounds are all healed by the same thing (applying a bandaid might heal damage from both an arm-scratch and a head bruise) and at the same rate, and the amount you lost doesn't affect anything until you lose the last one.
>>
Wounding / Overdamaging

I use HP as a measurement of minor detriments a character can suffer before simply succumbing to fluid loss or pain shock, except in cases where powerful attacks deal massive amounts of damage. In cases where characters suffer enough damage, they sustain a wound that varies on the circumstances of the damage. A wound can have any variety of penalties to the character, mechanically reinforcing the fact that they just lost half their sustainable life to a sword stroke.
>>
>>46377775
I like this sort of solution, but >>46384306 is correct that it is just hitpoints.

But I think that's the right answer to hit-points: just don't give anyone more than 5 or 6. A simple punch can kill you--period. You want a grittier game? Punches do 1d4 damage, and double on a crit. Average human has 6 HP, weaklings have 3, ultra-bad-asses have 8 and never any more. Or whatever scale--just a very, very low one, so that virtually any attack can come damn-close to killing you.
>>
>>46383724
We did. If you look at TSR-era D&D, it's really badly suited to "hack-and-slay" play without the DM intervening to help the players out. D&D used to be about looting, but it still had hit points.
>>
>>46376405
Fingers.
If you get hurt, the Dm will remove your fingers.
>>
>>46377602

I think the 'Afraid' condition should be able to be cured by some kind of willpower test (or rally). Would make sense thematically.

Other than that, I dig it.
>>
>>46376405
Health levels. Each one can take damage equal to your endurance and you have as many as your willpower.

For every one you loose you get a -1 penalty to all rolls.

It's more of a way of grouping health points rather than replacing them outright.

Another idea is that every time you take an unsaved hit you get an injury. Broken bones, bleeding cuts, concussions, burns, bruises, whathaveyou. Each one gives you penalties that stack and eventually your player becomes unplayable due to being statistically impossible to act. You only really die when your opponent performs a coup de grace, which is statistically impossible under normal circumstances but inevitable if you're too badly crippled to move.

I'm actually trying to combine the two for a homebrew system but there's still a lot that needs to be filled in.
>>
>Legends of Wulin

You stack conditions that force opponent to act in certain ways through positive or negative conditions.
Fights end when one of the sides decides that conditions have gone too far and retreat or simply have so many disabilities piled on them that they can't do anything.

It is much more involved than that but this is basic rundown
>>
>>46377602
The trouble of this is that A) it's incredibly brutal which doesn't really suit the game in my opinion, and B) because the Damage To Kill Ratio is set static number there isn't too much reason to have of variable damage. Five points the damage will kill anyone regardless.

Honestly savage worlds I think does it best, you have a toughness value which damage has to be beat or you can just shrug it off. Each subsequent value of 4 scores a wound and a penatly.
>>
>>46376405
Card decks.

Weapons inflict a card from deck A, B or C.

Different decks have different ratios of minor, bad effects to major, bad effects.

Blunt damage deals from B deck. I drew concussion! Leave card face up for the remainder of the session, and receive -1 to awareness rolls.

Pistol shot deals from C deck. Winged! Place card face-up for the remainder of the fight, and suffer -1 movement.

Dunno if that'd actually be a good way to do things. But it struck me as fun when I was thinking about X-Wing, just now.
>>
>>46376405
Awhile back someone put forth a True Grit health point system, in which everyone had basically a very small pool of health points, say 12 or so, and then depending on level a gigantic pool of True Grit, which is to say collective badassery. When a character takes "damage" what they're doing is shrugging it off, or dodging it, or some other comic-book style way of ignoring it. Eventually they get worn down to actual health though, and when that's gone they die. Actual health takes a long time to come back (in that particular system it was basically realistic times for health) while True Grit regenerates during a rest. Some attacks might be precise and take out a point of actual health along with TG, some maneuvers could be used to regain TG such as being a cocky asshole instead of attacking, that kind of thing.
>>
>>46385115
Oh yeah, that.

Wings of War/gorly does that which is where the X-Wing game came from and Fantasy flight's war hammer role-play does a similar thing.

Still technically hit points but it gets the idea of being hurt across a lot more.
>>
>>46384582
I tried that once, it leads to bad things. Damage can't be metered at all when your metrics are that small
>>
>>46381988
> looking for an alternative
> complaining
>>
>>46384207
not the guy you are talking to but for me having the system telling me how my character feels/acts gets in the way of roleplaying, those things should always depend on the character's personality, even if that character belongs to the worst RPer that ever lived. It's no roleplay if the system tells you what your character does/thinks/feels
>>
>>46386393
sure, that's why I don't think it's a good fit for everyone. but I disagree with >It's no roleplay if the system tells you what your character does/thinks/feels
that doesn't prevent you from playing a role, it just gives some boundaries on how that role should be played. what about when you lose a will save against any number of mind-effecting spells or abilities? does that make you stop roleplaying?

we've all played with the guy who's character never expresses fear or hesitation, never experiences emotional trauma, doesn't bat an eye at otherworldly horrors. It's usually the same guy that throws a fit and tries to cheese his way out of suffering from mind control or charm effects.

the reason that rules exist in the first place, and it isn't just full freeform RP, is because boundaries can help construct the foundation that we build the rest of the story upon. imposing limitations can help bolster creative thinking.

now, that's just one side of the extreme. the other is the amazingly fantastic role-player who can play a compelling character with incredible depth and shit, and he's the sort of guy who wouldn't need those boundaries (but I'd argue could still play around them.)

I just don't think it's inherently bad, is all. I can see the value, and I disagree with the notion that "anything that dictates how my character should act, besides me, is wrong"
that came out as a little strawmany, but I hope you get my point
>>
>>46386793
yeah i get your point, but i disagree also i think you don't get mine, my bad actually, could have expressed it a lot better.

I don't think that "anything that dictates how my character should act, besides me, is wrong" specially when it comes to effects applied over my character (like spells and such). But there are some things that depends on the character's personality (like a combat situation) of course some people will abuse this and say "no, my character would never be scared of kobolds he's always a badass" and stuff like that but even though that's annoying (and i personally hate those guys) but that's still roleplaying, instead if the game tells any player how his character would react like in this pic >>46377602

>An Afraid target has been beaten so hard they are losing the will to fight.
>Afraid targets may not take the "Attack" action. They may still defend normally- and yes, they may still counter.
>Afraid can be cured if someone else Rallies you, or if you can end the round out of line of sight by all hostilities

what this says (at least how i understand it) is that once your character has been hurt he automatically starts loosing his will to keep fighting, and he is so afraid that he can't get himself to attack his opponent and he will only "regain his valour" if someone else helps him or if he runs away from his opponent for a certain amount of time. The character is not under a spell nor he's being controlled by a superior power, he's in a fight and he is losing, this could work great for some characters, but not all of them, for most characters it will be the game changing the character's personality

let's say you are playing a trained fighter, a veteran warrior who have been in many battles and have been injured many times. Yes, any normal person once he/she is beaten enough will start feeling afraid and being more cautious, but the difference is on how they would react on it. (cont, sorry got too long)
>>
>>46387886
btw sorry if my english is a bit rubbish, i need a lot of practice

(cont)
Someone who have never been in a fight would probably might react like in this rule but not everyone, even if they have 0 experience in combat, some people will become reckless when menaced, other would cower and others might stay calm (even if they are afraid). The veteran warrior i mentioned before, when hurt and afraid might make use of his experience and become more cautious and wait more for his opponent but he should still be able to react according to the character's personality even if he is afraid/injured (unless he has an incapacitating injury) or maybe not, he might be so afraid that he needs one of his comrades to back him up that that should be decided by the character's personality (of course AGAIN i must admit some players WILL abuse this kind of thing, but i think it's better risking people abusing this if that allows me to roleplay and stay in character) anyway that's just my opinion i also have some "real life" experience i would like use as an example of this but i don't know if its interesting/useful for this conversation

I like this rule anyway (except for the part that tells you how your character reacts when hurt) and the reeling part, i have been hit quite hard and it doesn't always works like that but i can play with that. The rest of it seems quite unforgiving and fun
>>
>>46386793
>what about when you lose a will save against any number of mind-effecting spells or abilities? does that make you stop roleplaying?
Yes, but that's basically the point of mind control.
>>
File: lead_large.png (248 KB, 615x447) Image search: [Google]
lead_large.png
248 KB, 615x447
>>46387886
>>46378255
>>46380479
>>46386393
>>46387886
New guy to thread here

Missing information:
>Afraid condition
1) You can still COUNTER-attack. You can't INITIATE an attack on your turn. ANY ATTACK against you within your threat range prompts a FREE counter-attack. If you could initiate an attack, you'd expose yourself to his counter. AKA: Character restricted to defensive play.
2) "Afraid" is 50% to Dying. 2 of 4 points. BUT
you only have to retreat to break line of sight to break "afraid", not leave the battle.
AKA Anti beatstick combat. Characters move around a lot in this during combat.
3) You can shrug off Afraid if you want to play a "badass". Take Frenzy.

>"Veterans":
The novelization had a veteran mercenary. He takes a good hit and yields, convinces his squire to do the same as soon as he doesn't feel confident of their victory, but his frenzied 3rd man continues and is killed. The opposing parties exchange some words and part ways on neutral terms.
Historically, Veteran mercenaries were well documented to be as such that I remember reading.
The RPG says default #1 priority of all characters is "not dying".

Personal opinions:
>Bard class is basically the same thing as Ironclaw leadership
>Design intent: stopping both robot mooks and murder-hobo PCs, which IMO is greater good
>I like Ironclaw, but I kind of agree with both of you since freeformity of roleplay is very subjective between player groups.

>>46377685
Not having allies to remove effects is the big death spiral. You can shrug some stuff solo less efficiently, but system was designed for maximum co-op. You even take your 2-actions per turn in whatever order instead of rigid initiative, intentionally for min-max team synergy.
>>
>>46388212
>>46387886
Oh wait, you did read on Counter-attack and breaking Line of Sight already.
Sorry, I skimmed the thread bottom to top.

Emphasis though:
1) Being restricted to counter attack doesn't stop you from wrecking shit. It DOES force either maximum offense (all-counters) or maximum defense (no attacks).
2) "Afraid" is applied to equivalent of getting impaled by a shortsword with no armor in this system. 50% to dying is reasonable for anyone not on fucking PCP to be afraid. 2 pts of damage doesn't sound like much, but anything past 3 is basically negative HP.
3) Frenzy is the "I've been impaled, but- my name is inigo montoya prepare to die". It IS a character option.
>>
>>46388212
thanks for clarifying this more.

well now that you add more information it sounds much better. The rule makes a lot of sense and it might even reward skilled fighters.

btw i was not arguing with the other guy, just sharing my opinion
>>
>>46388306
>either maximum offense (all-counters) or maximum defense (no attacks).
** where you're trading one for the other. Can't have both.
>>
>>46388314
>might even reward skilled fighters.
It does. Counter-attacks are resolved as your "defense" roll (if you choose not to dodge or parry) and use martial skills.
Initiating an attack against skilled fighters will get you killed
Two skilled fighters squaring off either plays out like Guts vs Zodd being over in one opposing roll, or like the fencing duel in Princess Bride up and down an area with 1-square retreats and terrain modifiers.
Two peasants, sling and dagger, can still topple a skilled knight. Stun (hit/dmg bonus... slings are useful), grapple, shank (yay flanking bonuses), dead, yay teamwork.

I liked the system because it feels like it's removed from decades of design baggage that plagues most RPGs, and they seemed to have set out to cut short i-go-u-go grind combat.
>>
>>46380037
> rabbits can be disemboweled alive if cut at the belly and flung hard
> it has little HP
> you can't dosembowel a human that simply
> he has more HP
I don't get what you are saying.
>>
>>46384207
>>46388212

A decent roleplayer doesn't need the rules telling him how he feels or how his character acts. It's his character, and if he wants to go into a berserker frenzy and most likely die in that combat because he didn't give up when outmatched, it's his choice.

Rallying doesn't really fix the issue. Sure, it's a character archetype that's fun and often seen: the leader, the strategist, and so on, and often with mechanical benefits built around that. But the problem isn't that a character can rally and remove status effects, it that the status effects are a result of the game telling another player "your character is now shitting their pants because this guy gave you a proper thrashing."

>Veterans
Yeah, that's why he's a veteran, he knows when to quit. What about characters who are deathseekers, or maybe bravados, or from a very honor-driven warrior-culture? Or have given up hope and will fight to their death because they no longer give a fuck? What if you're fighting the guy who murdered your father and your name is Inigo Montoya?

Design choices that tell players how to play their characters are, in my honest opinion, garbage and don't belong in roleplaying. Shitty roleplayers will always shit up games, no matter what kind of fences you build around them, but will also fuck over decent roleplayers as well.

It doesn't mean all characters have to be badass. But it depends on the group, what they are playing and what's the mood of the game. Others like playing Arthurian heroes, others don't. And that's fine, but shouldn't be system-enforced.
>>
>>46380037
A good system would be to be able to take on penalties to recover HP. For instance, heal 10 HP after a hit to have your sword arm be fucked up (-2 to strength), or 5HP later on for the same thing (fluffed as adrenaline blocking out the pain and making the wound worse).
>>
>>46380037
I've been playing Star Wars Saga lately. It's one of those d20 systems where a character can easily have 100+ hp. But the rulebook describes gaining hp as you level up as not just the character growing tougher, but also them getting better at avoiding direct hits. So the blaster bolt that would have killed you at level one is only a moderate injury now - not because you can just shrug off an energy bolt to the face, but because you are able to make sure it isn't a direct hit anymore.
It doesn't fix the hp problem, but it does make it seem a bit less silly when somebody can seemingly tank multiple gunshot wounds.
>>
>>46377685
Death spirals is a retarded complaint in anything except a fighting game. In fighting games, it makes comebacks nearly impossible which is obviously a shitty design choice, since it makes one guy feel like he's lost if the other guy gets a solid hit in early.

But in role-playing games, really, what? How is being injured making you less able to fight a bad thing? That's kind of how injuries work. Real people don't operate at 100% efficiency until they lose their last hitpoint.
>>
>>46391585
This explanation always gets trotted out when someone points out how retarded HP gets in D20 systems, and it always falls apart completely when you look at fall damage, blast damage, poison or whatever.

It's all well and good to pretend that hitpoints REALLY just represent being able to shrug off a hit, until someone brings a flamer or pushes you out the window and you're the only one out of 10 same-sized guys who doesn't get splattered.
>>
File: 1443404514643.jpg (54 KB, 493x700) Image search: [Google]
1443404514643.jpg
54 KB, 493x700
>>46391315
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsMKypvmB0
>>
>>46391315
>>46391960
That's him, that's him. And look, he's still wearing his unclever prostitute disguise!
>>
>>46384471
That's pretty nice.
Also somewhat easy to port to other d20 games. Just gotta fiddle with the numbers a bit.
>>
>>46381726
YES
I'm using something similar. Disabling shots and HP is really your pain level, you pass out when you reach 0. Then someone bashes your skull in.
There are no real rules to it because I like to make shit up as I go along.
>>
File: 788788.png (131 KB, 239x407) Image search: [Google]
788788.png
131 KB, 239x407
>>46391315
>>46391315
STEVE YOU MOTHERFUCKER.

EAT BOLTGUN.
>>
>>46377685
When the targets are furries, that's a plus.
>>
>>46376405
I personally like RQ6 rules. There are hit locations, like arms, head, chest and abdomen, each have their own hp, usually arounr 4-7hp with average CON and SIZ. Minor wounds don't hinder, but at 0 hp a location suffers serious wound and can't attack for d3 turns and has to pass endurance check or that location is useless - if head, chest or abdomen, is incapacitated. Major wounds occur at the negative amount of a locations hp, like if an arm has 4 hp, it gets major wound at -4 hp. Major wounds incapacitate you and you start slowly to bleed to death. The point is that combat is quick, brutal and as close to realism as it gets - a fight doesn't necessarily have to end in death, even though combat is deadly. Levels don't really matter, although it will give you an edge if you got greater fighting skills and good tactics.

Going to play a custom campaign with that system soon, and I'm already enjoying as the GM.
>>
>>46377602
Furfag shit
>>
>>46384972
>Legends of Wulin

I came for magical kung-fu with flaming fist of fire and enlightenment punches, and I got a long list of abstract-to-the-point-of-uselessness styles that doesn't meaningfully change between each other.

It's hilarious, even more so when fluff and crunch differ too much.

>You call upon the wonderful fire of your soul to charge your first with mini-explosion of sunlight that is harmful to the undeads.
>Gain +1 to attack and +1 to defense for the duration of the fight.

wut
>>
File: 1453068158907.jpg (126 KB, 650x514) Image search: [Google]
1453068158907.jpg
126 KB, 650x514
>>46376405

Armor Points with a death spiral wound system underneath them.
>>
>>46399033
example?
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.