[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: AnnaSteinbauer_Spark.jpg (69 KB, 640x458) Image search: [Google]
AnnaSteinbauer_Spark.jpg
69 KB, 640x458
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Why would you ever choose Wizard over Bard? (I troll u)
>>
>>46372630
>(I troll u)

Pretty sure there's a global rule about shit like that, m8.
>>
>>46372630
Because i'd only play a bard if i could sing or play an instrument
Both i cannot
>>
>>46372630
Because Bards can't get Portent.
>>
>>46372630
More versatility: Bards get to pick from everything, but they still only have 20-odd spells.

Power: To get maximum choice, Bards sacrifice boosts to the spells themselves. Wizards get to do some crazy stuff with the different traditions...

Just some of the bigger arguments.
>>
>>46372816
I've been toying with the idea of playing a writer bard, with like orating as his performance.
Basically Geoffrey Chaucer's appearance in Knight's Tale.
>>
File: f4 abort.png (23 KB, 105x134) Image search: [Google]
f4 abort.png
23 KB, 105x134
>>46372900
That's actaully a really cool idea anon
You would have to be able to orate well enough though

>ywn play DnD with Brian Blessed as your party's bard
>>
>>46372900
Do the classic, tell epic, heroic poetry to inspire the others.
>>
Asking again, because more opinions are better.

What coat color should a warhorse that belongs to a human vengeance paladin of Bahamut have?

What should said paladin put on his coat of arms?
>>
>>46372949
Its actually quite annoying. I'm a total chatterbox but fuck I have trouble speaking "in character"
Like I've been playing the same old astronomer who I LOVE and I cannot be assed to give him a voice.
Fucking Matt Mercer makes me want to kill myself whenever I watch Critical Role.
>>
File: 1454007237522.gif (778 KB, 274x199) Image search: [Google]
1454007237522.gif
778 KB, 274x199
>>46372816
stand-up comedian bard

what's the deal with kobolds?
>>
>>46373039
>For two years
>>
>>46373012
To elaborate: he's a tribal from northern Sword Coast turned mercenary turned adventurer turned paladin. Lawful Good.
>>
File: FinnTheAngryAsian.png (48 KB, 203x171) Image search: [Google]
FinnTheAngryAsian.png
48 KB, 203x171
>>46373052
>>
>>46373012
It's Bahamut. If your mount isn't as close to platinum as possible then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>46373084
Platinum is the same as silver. So, white?
>>
>>46373039
You don't have to give him a wacky voice. Just give him a personality.
>>
>>46373105
Or a pale, silvery grey. One or the other.
>>
>>46373139
No I know, but like any voice. I'm severely monotone and for some reason speaking in character makes me uncharacteristically jittery.
>>
I'd like some dungeon building advice.

The flooded bottom floor of my shark-themed temple has a hallway with some side rooms. The hallway has a giant door which has four locks on it. This leads to the final boss, the resurrected Iakhovas. I'm thinking that the four side rooms can each have something magical in them that unlocks one of the locks on the door.

The most obvious choice is a combat encounter with a lever on the room that undoes one of the locks, but im have trouble thinking of some additional things for each of the rooms.
>>
>>46373194
Woah wait.
Shark-Themed Temple.
Are you running this during Shark Week?
Please say yes.
>>
>>46373194
You can have one room contain a combat encounter, another - a puzzle, another - an NPC who has to be convinced to open the lock (this one is tricky, though, you have to make sure that your players won't attack him), another - something sneaky stealthy, like getting to the end of the room without waking a powerful monster.
>>
>>46373250
>this one is tricky, though, you have to make sure that your players won't attack him
maybe one of those talking walls?
>>
>>46373228
It's part of an ongoing campaign. The shark cult took over the temple of Umberlee and now that the party has learned enough to warrant investigation, the cult moved up the whole resurrection-and-flood-the-city plan to right now. So they're dealing with that at the moment.

>>46373250
How about something like a really deep pit filled with water and they need to grab the key from the bottom while avoiding waking the eels that inhabit the pit (a la Majoras Mask)?
>>
Working on my first adventure. Please advise.

>sparsely populated, agrarian, low magic, rural coastal region
>party are refugees arriving from an overseas nation toppled by disease
>villain is a random peasant attempting to complete some task, by which he'll become strong (IE, a mask that turns him into a Vampire, or a ritual to grant him powerful magic)
>objective is to prevent said conversion, if failed he becomes a more active villain for future levels
>dungeon ideas include a ruined offshore lighthouse, a long wilderness treck, possibly the wreck of a massive ship, and one more I haven't thought of yet

This would be for levels 1-4/5ish, after which the party will either fuck off to become pirates or move inland to more populated / higher magic areas.
>>
>>46373194
If it has sharks, I approve.

That is all.
>>
>>46373629
Lighthouses usually don't have much features. The shipwreck is cool. It absolutely must contain furniture bolted to the floor, the floor being the wall/ceiling. Some amphibian and sea monsters. Don't forget the captain's log.
>>
>>46373659
It has sharks and Sahuagin, so hopefully you'd enjoy it!

So I'm thinking of making the door have puzzle pieces missing. So kind of like those pipe puzzles, where they need to get the four pieces and then arrange them correctly. That sounds better than just "pull this lever, open the lock."
>>
>>46373697
>Lighthouses usually don't have much features.

I know, but I love the idea of a dungeon that is a series of small but ascending chambers. I might ditch it just because my ideas for making it interesting would make it too similar to my ideas for the shipwreck.

>The shipwreck is cool. It absolutely must contain furniture bolted to the floor, the floor being the wall/ceiling.

Bolted for what purpose? Is that a thing people did/do on ships?

>Some amphibian and sea monsters.

Naturally. Maybe even some underwater sections.

>Don't forget the captain's log.

Hmmm. Hmmmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmm.
>>
>>46373793
Had a game in an Alchemist's lighthouse. He would use potions to change the color / intensity of the flame for different messages to ships / towns.

He started taking his stock and went mad, our DM busted out a lazy Susan style test tube holder filled with random unmarked liquids. If we approached the Alchemist's racks of tubes and used a bonus action to take one, we had to drink the tube and got a benefit or debuff depending on how we reacted.

Was LOADS of fun.
>>
>>46373793
>Bolted for what purpose?
So it doesn't slide along the floor when the ship pitches.
>>
>>46373835
I hope he filled the tubes with a variety of liquids from mountain dew to sriracha.
>>
>>46373793
>I know, but I love the idea of a dungeon that is a series of small but ascending chambers.
I once ran something like that (it was a wizard's tower, but same idea), it ended up being kinda boring. Forks on the road of some kind are important for dungeons, and a lighthouse doesn't give you that kind of freedom. Or maybe I'm just lousy at designing dungeons
>>
>>46373629
>>objective is to prevent said conversion, if failed he becomes a more active villain for future levels

Thank you for not already deciding what will happen.

Overall it sounds good, my only advice is to tie some stuff to the PCs. Use what the players give you.
>>
>>46373756
Sahuagin, normal sharks, big sharks, Iakhovas and Sekolah for the full house. Sharks as far as the eye can see.

>>46372264

Many of the Iron Age sorts - the Saxons for example - had a warrior class. Specifically you proved that you were a bad enough dude, your chief gave you armour, shield and a sword partly as a gift, partly as a token of your service.

Most of the warrior class were simply landed people, much like the jizamurai. Then you had the gesith, or the chieftain's own troops. The really hardcore Saxon warrior types became the hearthweru, "hearth-guard", who were the chieftain's bodyguard and were supposed to protect their charge's life with their own, dying to keep him alive. If your chieftain was killed in battle, then it was a gigantic loss of face and the hearthweru were expected to fight to the death to avenge him.
>>
>>46373849
He did!
Vinegar.
Olive oil.
Uh. Let me think. I know one was straight Tabasco, not sure about Sriracha, this was before Sriracha blew up. I know I got a melted licorice one that was nauseating.
>>
>>46373888
I'm pretty sure you'll die an excrutiatingly painful death if you drink vinegar.
>>
>>46373916
What? No. Maybe if you drank a fuck ton.

There's vinegar in salad dressing, among other things.
>>
>>46373916
worst thing that can happen if you drink vinegar is that you'll fuck up your teeth
>>
>>46373916
>>46373976
>>46373980
Welp. It only happens with vinegar acid, the thing you dilute to get vinegar. Memory fails.
>>
>>46373697
>>46373853
If the lighthouse is offshore, make the islet the area instead. You can throw in some small caverns and old abandoned/not so abandoned buildings.

Think about how long you'd want a family to be able to live there comfortably before having to use their jetty to head back to the mainland for resupply. Maybe 1-4 weeks. You could also add another feature to the island which might have drawn a slightly larger community. Maybe it was a good spot to gather a local shellfish delicacy which meant a few more dwellings and storehouses.

A common trope is for the lighthouse to stand over underground storage areas which end up linking to natural caverns.
>>
>>46374007
Yeah brahj, Vinegar is only about 3% aceitc acid, the rest being mostly water. You're fucked if you drink lab quality stuff though. But if you're stupid enough to, then you deserve it.
>>
I want to give one of my players a compass that doesn't point North. I need ideas.

For the standard, it points to whatever your heart desires most bull, should that be completely determined by the player, or should they have to roll somewhat to determine what goal or object the compass is pointing too?

What are other things the compass could point towards?
>>
I want to play an asshole. Not some evil edgelord, just a selfish bastard whose only concerns are his and his companions' wealth and safety, and who has no moral qualms about stealing, murdering, torturing, and so on.

The only case when this works well is when the whole party plays as those. So, aside from the classic "street gang of thugs", what kind of party would fit this quality?
>>
>>46374087
East on odd numbered days, south otherwise

don't tell them tough, let them figure that shit out
>>
>>46374087
The sun. The moon. Nearest similar compass. The place where it was made. Nearest large body of water. Largest pile of gold in 10 mile radius. Nearest dragon.

What's your campaign?
>>
>>46374115
a buffet of lawyers
>>
>>46374151
Would those lawyers falsify evidence and beat witnesses into false testimonies to win a case?
>>
>>46374087
The nearest, densest collection of elves.
>>
>>46374087
Easy option is it can point to the nearest X.
Nearest elf, nearest piece of gold, nearest source of magic, nearest source of fresh water.
>>
>>46374130
Hah. That's pretty good.

>>46374148
Sort of a murder mystery turned high adventure as the players discovered conspiracies involving parallel universes.
>>
>>46374171
Never beat a witness. Blackmail them, or gas light them instead.
>>
>>46374171
"DID YOU RAPE THIS WOMAN?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfbj6Y2Mss
>>
>>46374115
A party of rule lawyers
A party of CN PCs
A party of members of 4chan
>>
>>46373916
>>46373976
>>46373980
We're talking like roughly 2 oz test tubes.
>>
Do you allow UA warforged in your games?
>>
>>46374509
sure, they're pretty meh anyways.
>>
>>46374509
I'm playing a Shifter and a friend of mine is playing a Warforged in a game currently.

The only thing I think is really big for Warforged is them explicitly not needing to breathe. They get +1 AC as a free racial, but other than that they don't seem especially strong or weak.
>>
>>46374509
And Warforged catchphrases!

"Transform and roll out!"
"Maximals, energize"
"Decepticons, terrorize!"

... I'll stop now.
>>
How about a compass that always points towards the most powerful person within 20 feet, as judged by a good of power in all its forms.

Or the same for beauty
>>
>>46374374
you'll fuck up your teeth if you drink it daily for years
>>
>>46374509
No, but I do allow Keith Baker's 5e Warforged homebrew
>>
I believe that attributes in D&D 5th Edition are inherently unbalanced.

Constitution and Dexterity are vital attributes for most character regardless of class; they provide hit points, armour class, initiative bonus, and both to-hit and damage bonuses with ranged and finesse weapons. Dex and Con saves also represent about 50% or more of saving throws characters need to make, meaning they provide unparalleled protection from both magical and mundane threats, as well as the all-important survival metric of hit points - again, regardless of class.

Characters with sufficient Strength can substitute it for Dexterity provided they have proficiency with heavy enough armour, but Strength saves are far less common than Dexterity, and heavy armour comes with penalties of its own, making it a sub-par choice for the most part.

Wisdom represents another 30% of saving throws, but otherwise provides little benefit to characters. Intelligence and Charisma provide even less. Yes, mental attributes improve a character's chances with certain skills, but unlike combat bonuses skills have little benefit from overlap. That is to say, having two characters with high hit points is quite beneficial to a party, but having two characters with high bonuses to the same skill (such as Deception or Medicine) provides very little comparatively. In a skill-oriented situation you can usually assume that the character with the highest bonus will be rolling and making the attempt, whereas combat requires all individuals in the party to be competent in order to ensure success.

Yes, some classes require high Int, Wis, or Cha in order to determine the DC of their abilities, but at that point the worth of these mental attributes becomes based not in what they provide the player directly, but how they amplify class features the character acquires. This, combined with how little skills overlap, leads to the game incentivizing players to make non-essential mental attributes 'dump stats'.

1/3
>>
>>46374846
Yes everyone knows this

They're only kept because of tradition
>>
>>46374846
dnd attributes are shit
>>
>>46374846
>I believe that attributes in D&D 5th Edition are inherently unbalanced.
Totally. Int is next to worthless for anyone who isn't a Wizard.
>>
>>46374878
imagine if they removed attributes as we know them

shitstorm bigger than 4e
>>
>>46374846
So, how do we rebalance attributes in D&D 5th Edition?

This is a harder question than it looks, because honestly I don’t want to revamp the system completely. Instead I want to tweak the benefits of attributes just enough so that they matter more… while still working within the guidelines of how the game works (for the most part). That means not adding any new resources like Stamina or Mana, nor changing the effects of any spells or class features. I don’t want to re-write the rulebook, I want something more like a one-page errata that you could tape on the inside of the cover. Unobtrusive house rules, essentially.

I see two ways of moving forward. The first is removing some of the benefits from Dexterity and Constitution, making them provide a smaller bonus on the whole compared to the other stats. I don’t like this approach, because honestly, if you make Dex and Con as useful as Int, Wis, and Cha, you end up with stats that ultimately mean very little outside of skill checks. You’d have to vastly reduce hit point gain from Con, reduce the benefits of Dex to armour class and attack severely… it just end up devaluing attributes even more than they already are.

The second option is improving the benefits and importance of Int, Wis, and Cha, and to specifically do so in ways that aren’t related to just being ‘force multipliers’ for class features. This means they’d have to give something meaningful to a character regardless of what class they chose - you’d have to give an incentive for a Barbarian to have high Intelligence, Wisdom, and/or Charisma.

2/3
>>
>>46374901
Now that leaves us with specific changes. This is constructive criticism after all.

Intelligence is fairly easy to fix - giving characters an additional skill or proficiency per point of Intelligence modifier is a good start. Having Intelligence be used for ranged attacks, like in Gamma World, would also give it a solid boost. Extra languages based on Intelligence would be nice as well. To mitigate how skills overlap each other, having multiple skilled characters contribute might grant additional bonuses based on their attribute or proficiency, up to a soft cap.

For Wisdom, my current idea is increasing the number of points of Inspiration a character gets (or can hold at one time) to 1 + their Wisdom modifier, and perhaps having characters gain Inspiration when they take a Long Rest. This allows characters with high Wisdom to burn Inspiration in combat for Advantage to attack rolls, or maybe even imposing disadvantage to enemy attack rolls, perhaps by using their cunning or perceptiveness to gain a sudden edge.

Charisma represents confidence, leadership, and eloquence according to the PHB. Right now I’m thinking that Charisma would determine how low a character’s hit points would have to be for them to be considered Bloodied, and additionally making it that Bloodied characters have disadvantage to rolls and grant enemies advantage to rolls against them. Thus someone with high Con and low Cha would have tons of hit points, but might get Bloodied when reduced to less than (for example) 75% Hit Points instead of 50%, while someone with low Con and high Cha would have fewer hit points but would have to be at 25% Hit Points or less in order to be Bloodied.

3/3
>>
File: 1376668774995.gif (1 MB, 167x283) Image search: [Google]
1376668774995.gif
1 MB, 167x283
Does Death House really have no random encounters?
What prevents the playersfrom taking a long rest after every encounter?
>Yes I know I can DM "ooo the eerie voices of the bad house won't let you sleep"
But I'd like some guidance into what's acceptable and what's not
>>
>>46374846
constitution gives a bonus to no skills and dexterity and strength give less than cha, wis, or int.
>>
>>46374942

I'm of the school of thought that the best way to fix things that need fixing in 5e is to change as little as possible. Thus, the best fix would be:

Add more spells that use Str, Int and Cha saving throws
Add more weapons that are clearly better with Str than Dex
>>
>>46374964
>What prevents the playersfrom taking a long rest after every encounter?
In general, just kind of an unspoken agreement of etiquette that the party doesn't make camp or leave the dungeon every time they get a scratch.
>>
>>46374115
pirates
magic-using conmen
>>
>>46374942
As a final addendum, having direct ways for Skills to contribute to combat would be nice. For example, making an Intelligence (Nature) check to find a weakness in a troll’s hide, or a Wisdom (Insight) check to sense whether an enemy is going to attack me or run past to stab my wizard friend. They don’t need to be big bonuses, and they can take Reactions or Bonus Actions in order to perform, but I think it would be a cool way to actually get a benefit from playing a knowledgable, perceptive warrior.

I'd also like to find ways to make Strength more important to casters. Still working on that one though.
>>
>>46374964
>What prevents the playersfrom taking a long rest after every encounter?
They should if they want to stay alive. Death House is a TPK otherwise.
>>
>>46374964
A character can't benefit from more than one long rest in a 24-hour period.
>>
>>46374995

gwm weapons clearly do more damage than finesse weapons
>>
>>46374967
Even if there aren't any strict skills there are still tons of Constitution checks you can (and do) need to make. I also discuss how skills (and in hindsight, especially Int, Wis, and Cha skills) don't overlap very well. If one person in your party is already good at a certain skill, there's very little point in your character also being good at it. Thus, their value is significantly lessened.

>>46374995
I am trying to change as little as possible, as indicated by my previous post. The changes to Intelligence were already present in previous editions. Wisdom merely adds to the already present Inspiration mechanic. Charisma takes the Bloodied mechanic from D&D 4th Edition and (again) uses the wonderful Advantage / Disadvantage rules to make it as simple as possible.

Your suggestion means adding core game content (spells) and changing core game content (weapons), which is specifically what I'm trying to avoid. That's not to say that your suggestion wouldn't work, it very well might, but by nature it already deviates from what I'm trying to achieve.
>>
>>46375112

Not everyone wants to use, specifically, great weapons. I mean, it might be nice if there were a one-handed 1d10 Str weapon, so you can sword and board and hit harder. Maybe give it a drawback as well if a one-handed 1d10 weapon is too much. Or, something I'd personally like to see (but will never happen): Giant Shears, 1d20 damage die.
>>
>>46374964
>that gif
+CHA
>>
>>46375143

You and I clearly have wildly different definitions of what it means to change as little as possible. And that's okay, but I don't agree with your proposed methods.
>>
>>46374540
>>46374587
Is that so?

+1 AC seems like a big deal.
>>
>>46375147
Dueling gives you a flat +2 to damage when doing sword-and-board.
>>
>>46375036
I remember giving this a glance over and the traps/swarm of shadows/boss fight looked hilariously deadly, but I'm not very experienced with 5e. How bad is it?
>>
>>46375178

Yes, but Dueling affects both Str and Dex weapons, so it's not really relevant in this case.
>>
>>46375169
It's good, definitely, but that +1 AC won't help them kill stuff faster, which is still the name of the game.

It should also be noted that there aren't any subraces, so all you get is what's on the tin.

>>46375193
Why does it affecting both make it irrelevant? You can use a d8 weapon with Dueling, whereas a Dex character has to use a d6 or lower.
>>
>>46375147

>not everyone wants to use great weapons

then why does it matter if they are using Dex or str? if you want to go str you take heavy armor and gwm or vice versa. likewise for range using Dex and taking light armor.

if you are a melee and you want to grapple you need strength and to build around it. If you are unarmored melee you go with Dex.

the only time one isn't clearly better than the other is when it doesn't matter
>>
Do you use anything to track spell slots? Or do you just write it down?
>>
>>46375217
>whereas a Dex character has to use a d6 or lower.
Rapier isn't d8?
>>
>>46375271
Forgot about that. For some reason I thought it was a 6.

Limits them to piercing?
>>
>>46375217

Are you forgetting the rapier exists?

If the rapier did not exist, then I would say the relationship between Str and Dex is in a better position.

>>46375223

You should follow the conversation, which was about taking some of the power out of Dex and Con as ability scores and reallocating it elsewhere. One way to achieve this is to make Str weapons more attractive, since as it stands, a Dex based attacker can use a Rapier in the same situations that a Str based attacker can use a Warhammer, Longsword, Flail etc...and still have the additional perks that come with high Dex. Not to insult, but I really shouldn't have to be explaining this to you.
>>
>>46375184
The specter is likely to kill someone. Four ghouls at 2nd level is almost certainly a TPK. Five shadows is the same. Two ghasts is pretty rough. All of that in the same day isn't really possible. The Shambling Mound is easy to run from, but getting out of the House requires going through 3 bladed doorways and 2 smoke-filled rooms. Probably going to see some deaths from that.
>>
>>46374115
Wereboars and Werewolves. Of all the lycanthropes, these are two types that don't really care about spreading the curse, causing mayhem, and other such asshole-y things.
>>
File: IMG_20160331_145014.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160331_145014.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
>>46374067
I have some at my desk. Should I taste for science?
fuck no I won't actually drink it, this is /tg/ not /b/
>>
File: slots.png (22 KB, 304x535) Image search: [Google]
slots.png
22 KB, 304x535
>>46375269

I play over roll20 and keep track via putting little x's in squares on the caster sheet.
>>
>>46375293

try grappling someone with Dex. Likewise the strength of dexterity is massively diminished by feats like shield mastery and alert. there isn't a feat that just gives you the advantages a high strength does.
>>
>>46375269
I have hundreds of little flattened marbles. I got a small sheet of paper & separated different parts off into 1st level, 2nd level, 3rd level... & so on. I have one marble in that section per spell slot. When I cast that spell, I put the marble back into the bag. If I had more than one color marble, I'd just make different colors stand for different slots & not need to have a paper to put them on.
>>
>>46375350

I don't need to try grappling someone with Dex. That's a fairly stupid suggestion. Don't you think you might be overvaluing grappling a bit? It's a fun character concept to build around, sure, but it's not something universal like the Attack action is.
>>
>>46375384
not him but shoving and grappling are both good and both use strength.
>>
>>46375169
It kind of is, but that is all they get. They only get +2 ability bonuses compared to the +3 or +4 of most races. They get immunity to disease (which only becomes a problem if the DM was planning on plague being a major thing in the campaign. They don't need food or drink, which could be a problem if a DM expects survival to be a big issue. And they get trance.

One problem that you could run into is with Contagion. If it is run as RAW, it is an incredibly potent spell for either side that Warforged are immune to. If it is run as RAI per Sage Advice, it's a non-issue.
>>
>>46375293
Thrown weapons use strength unless they have finesse and all the finesse ones use smaller damage die.
>>
>>46375143
I think the imbalances aren't that big really. The two big key stand outs are Dex and Int.

Wisdom governs some of the most important skills for avoiding danger (and therefore saving HP) as well as what is possibly the most lethal saving throw.

Charisma governs a skillset which is very powerful, but otherwise is fairly underwhelming outside certain riders or feats. One step here could be to remove the inspiring Leader feat and build it into a charisma check for just 2x cha mod or something.

Dex and Int are the two stand outs. Con is good for HP and an important saving throw, but that's it. It governs no useful skills.

Str enjoys a nice mix of combat utility with a few decent skills. Meanwhile Dex poaches something from everyone and sometimes does it better. Like Str it has excellent combat bonuses. But like Wis and Cha it has a stranglehold on some extremely key skills, and like Con/Wis it governs a very important saving throw.

On the flip side, Int governs skills that are rarely considered to be key has few uses as a saving throw and no actual other use.
>>
>>46375384

considering grappling is an attack action, yes it is as universal. grappling and/or knocking prone is something you can do as Dex. you don't try it as Dex because it doesn't work, and when it doesn't work when it is good to do then you have to make a worse decision. there is nothing that you have to do to be good at grappling other than having strength. anything that helps grappling, aside from one feat, are already good for just hitting things.
>>
>>46375300

So the 'quick adventure to get players up to level 3 and out of shitfarmer levels so that the real plot can start' is likely to just murder the whole squad of rookies?

Is that ironic? That seems ironic. It's certainly someting, at least.
>>
File: wereraven.png (7 MB, 1505x2797) Image search: [Google]
wereraven.png
7 MB, 1505x2797
>>46375326
> don't really care about spreading the curse,
wereravens too
>>
>>46375424

I did not say they were not good, and I would appreciate it if everyone stopped going off on tangents. It is not as if he is attempting to discuss the finer points of the difference between grappling with a headlock versus grappling with a full nelson. There are no mechanical differences between the two, however, there is a difference between attacking with Str and attacking with Dex, as Dex has a lot more benefits attached to it, which is obvious, and I should not have to be explaining this to you.

>>46375453

So you're suggesting that we could improve Str as an ability score by introducing more thrown weapon material? I like that idea.

>>46375475

I am not sure what games you are playing in which players grapple as often as they attack, but it seems fairly strange. I imagine that the enemies they face who attack far more often due to the players grappling so often would quickly make for an imbalanced scenario.
>>
>>46375495
Just start them at 3rd Level. Not that Death House isn't great, it's just so lethal it doesn't quite function as the first part of a larger adventure.
>>
>>46375515
>So you're suggesting that we could improve Str as an ability score by introducing more thrown weapon material? I like that idea.
I was just pointing out the inherent advantage strength already has in that regard.
>>
>>46375515
>I did not say they were not good, and I would appreciate it if everyone stopped going off on tangents. It is not as if he is attempting to discuss the finer points of the difference between grappling with a headlock versus grappling with a full nelson. There are no mechanical differences between the two, however, there is a difference between attacking with Str and attacking with Dex, as Dex has a lot more benefits attached to it, which is obvious, and I should not have to be explaining this to you.
Are you implying you can grapple and shove with dex already? because you can't.
>>
>>46375547

I don't follow. I believe it has been well established that 5e doesn't have much support for a thrown-weapon based character. I'm not sure one point of damage (on average) is enough to call an "advantage" on its own, but WotC definitely has the space to improve thrown weapons, and if they did so with Str in mind, that would be swell.
>>
>>46375515

that is a fallacy. you don't have to grapple as often as you attack for it to give you a greater benefit than dexterity. if you have 18 Dex and 14 con/wis then you have a massive stat bonus that in terms of AC is equivalent to a fighter with 18 str and chainmail. However much damage you avoid through Dex saves just needs to be less than what you gain and prevent though grappling, which is easy, because you initaite grappling as a player, and most enemies suck at escaping grappling.
>>
>>46375503
Actually, wereravens are extremely reluctant to spread the curse. From my off-the-cuff lore of them, they have an organization called the Order of the Dark Feather. It has something like 150 members total, but only like 25 of them even know the organization is led by wereravens, and even fewer actually are such.

The ability to spread the curse is different than an inclination to.
>>
>>46375603
Well it's certainly not a disadvantage.
>>
>>46375586

You are clearly and probably intentionally misrepresenting what I said now. I know /tg/ is an awful board, but I think most of us would appreciate it if you stopped the bullshit, thanks.
>>
>>46375002
>unspoken agreement of etiquette
Then our DM is an asshole. It's pissing me and some of the players off, as it's OotA and i'm 90% sure the book actually favors short rests, but haven't read it.

He actively seems to not want to do short rests for the party, at all. It's always a long rest.

it caused something last session when we did a long rest because he explicitly said "you'll have enough time" and the guards in the sentry post we were sleeping next to not actually -inside-, despite the fact that we didn't know it was there and thus have it said, that would be silly! all died, there wasn't a single roll that happened to wake up and stop this for us, nor did he roll.
>>
>>46375644
No grappling and shoving are fine options my players use often to their advantage.
>>
I have a question about this article:

http://ggnorecast.blogspot.com/2015/06/try-this-one-weird-trick-to-optimize.html?m=1

Why is he using a hand crossbow as opposed to a heavy crossbow? If you can only wield one crossbow at a time why is he taking the one with the least damage?
>>
>>46375638

> you don't have to grapple as often as you attack for it to give you a greater benefit than dexterity.

This is a tangent, and no one was talking about this. You do have to grapple as often as you attack for grappling to be universal. You already know this, so you are baiting me. Please stop.

>>46375671

Okay?
>>
>>46375644

you are saying there isn't a difference between attacks with Dex or str. There is, specifically because grappling and shoving are attacks that only work with strength and they happen to be good for any class that doesn't have spells
>>
>>46375671
drowning rules are kind of lame, I can't meaningfully drown my enemy in a barrel of blood.
>>
>>46375680

>you are saying there isn't a difference between attacks with Dex or str.

You know that is not true, as that was clearly not what I was saying. So now that you have confirmed that you're just another shitposter, I am going to quit.

I know it falls on deaf ears, but I would appreciate you all not shitting up /5eg/ further.
>>
>>46375727
What the fuck is your problem?
>>
File: 1457538420532.jpg (11 KB, 305x165) Image search: [Google]
1457538420532.jpg
11 KB, 305x165
I've been a lazy DM and allowed my party to ride around the city and to near by locations in taxis for cheap. My PCs are rich as shit for some reason and this is the only gold sink I've thought up because I'm lazy. It hasn't been effective so I am going to entice them with a heist to rob the owner of the taxi company, thus ending the free rides.
>>
I'm considering making crossbows STR based / bows and guns DEX based.

Unbalanced?
>>
>>46375757
>>
>>46375757

an autistic has already made up his mind and keeps changing what the significance of options and encounters that don't have to do with attack rolls and AC are in order to maintain his preconceived opinion
>>
>>46375775
Sounds like your players just aren't spending their gold.

Not upgrading armor, getting different weapons (or silvering them), potions, healer's kits, food, antitoxin, poison, stuff like that. Shit, I tend to upgrade my ROPE for fuck's sake once I got enough spare cash to throw at a Silk Rope.
>>
>>46375822
They haven't asked, should I just say next session that some new shops opened or be like, hey you can do this stuff?
>>
>>46375853
>They haven't asked
Your players have never once asked if they could go shopping?

Hold up, how many sessions have gone by without your players buying anything?
>>
>>46375822
do they even care when they get loot? they don't do anything with it?
>>
>>46375168
That's fine, we don't have to agree.

>>46375472
The problem with Wisdom is that you don't really need two characters with high Wisdom skill bonuses, since if one of them notices danger or something potentially suspicious they can warn the others quite quickly. If there's isn't enough time to warn them, you're probably looking at a surprise round anyway which isn't so much avoiding danger as getting one extra round of combat every so often. Not really a big enough benefit to make a difference IMO.

Giving everyone Inspiring Leader basically just means granting people Temporary Hit Points each short rest based on their Charisma, which while not a terrible solution just makes Charisma another kind of Constitution. I think having it determine your Bloodied rating makes it a little more interesting without leading to problems of too many hit points over the course of an adventuring day.

Constitution has no skills but it absolutely has ability checks, in fact you can argue it's more vital than Strength because you can get training in Athletics, but not in holding your breath or resisting death by fatigue or starvation.
>>
>>46375727
Dude what the hell is your deal? People give you their reasoning of stuff and you just dismiss it as shitposting because it doesn't match yours?
>>
>>46375934

it's because he is the shitposter
>>
>>46375677
I'd switch to a heavy crossbow once I got some extra attacks. Crossbow Expert lets you do an attack with a hand crossbow as a bonus action when you attack with a one handed weapon. So, until the fighter gets actual extra attacks, this gives them more ranged attacks per turn. Also, I believe this would add in the DEX modifier to the second attack, unlike when just dual wielding.
>>
>>46375911
you've already had this discussion in your own mind and you're upset people are bringing up points you didn't think about so you condescendingly brush them off like an asshole.
>>
>>46375886
They have not asked. I think we have had 5 sessions.

>>46375896
They usually just hoard it, use it as improvised weapons, use looted clothing as disguises.
>>
>>46375727
>calling someone else a shitposter
>posting /b/ tier nonsense
stop
>>
>>46375983
my players are obsessed with spending their gold. Always planning out what kinds of items they want to find and property they would invest in if they had a lot. I don't know how to help sorry.
>>
File: wat.jpg (41 KB, 429x377) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
41 KB, 429x377
>>46375983
>5 sessions
>not once have the players gone to buy something

It sounds like you give them way too much shit. If you aren't giving them much loot, they might just be collectively retarded.
>>
>>46375966
Oh I forgot that part of that feat, thanks.
Wait hold on, that is a lot more attacks than I thought.
So this would work off of every Action Surge too? Nice.
>>
>>46376104
You only get one bonus action a turn
>>
>>46375022
The general schtick of 5e, is that if you want to give something an arbitrary bonus or penalty, just use the Advantage/Disadvantage system

Your example:

>A lumbering armored orc has such a high AC, it's hard for our heroes to land a hit
>The rogue, unable to find an entrance for his dagger, uses his perception to see if he can spot a weakness in his foe's armor
>The DM, being fair, sees that the rogue has forgone an opportunity to flee or attack in order to find a way to win.
>The DM sets a high DC on his check, because this Orc is the enforcer of the local war chief and has very well made armor.
>The rogue rolls his 2 d20s, and manages to beat the DC to this on-the-fly check
>The DM reveals the Orc has forgotten to wear mail on an exposed joint between his armor plating, exposing a possible weakness
>The DM grants the rogue advantage on melee attack rolls using piecing weapons
>The rogue, using his poisoned dagger, lands his next blow
>>
>>46375971
Which time did I brush people off? Was it when I acknowledged that people are entitled to their own opinions, or when I disagreed with someone else's opinion on the matter? I have at no point claimed my position to be better than anyone else's. In fact, I recognized another person's solution here: >>46374995 would absolutely work with my statement here: >>46375143 . It's a valid change to the game's rules, it just deviates from my intended goal with these changes.

You're welcome to consider me an asshole if you like, but I can't see any reason why such an assessment is warranted.
>>
Cthulhufaq here again. Got one sorcerer origin essentially done (generic aberration/mutation one). How does this sound as a rough idea:

1st level: can spend sorcery point to make one creature take a Cha save or be frightened for one round. Also you gain a random minor (purely cosmetic) mutation

6th level: Gain a random mutations. Things like being able to spew acid (like dragonborn breath weapon), gain wings, or grow tentacles (gain climbing speed equal to walking speed and bonuses for grappling).

14th level: Essentially gain DR (reduce nonmagical piercing/slashing/bludgeoning damage taken by 3), and can spend 5 sorcery point to regenerate health equal to Con bonus every round for 5 min (can't be used again until you rest).

18th level: Gain another random mutation, and the same "turn into aberration" effect I gave Shub-Niggurath warlocks.

Still workign on the Deep One bloodline, but so far all I've really got down is "1st level: gain swim speed" and "18th level: turn into a creepy fish-man".
>>
>>46375934

I can give my reasoning as to why I dislike China, but it still wouldn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

>Faggots go off on tangents
>Get called out
>"LMAO DUDE YER SUCH A SHITPOSTER EVERYONE GRAPPLES EVEN CHARACTERS NOT SPECCED FOR IT LEL"
>"LOL DUDE BETTER DEX SAVES ARE TOTALLY SHIT WHO CARES IF FIREBALL HITS YOU LMAO SHOVE A GUY PRONE"

Fuck off retard.

>>46376015

You fuck off too dipshit.
>>
>>46376152

>step 1. Be autistic
>>
>>46374846
Why do stats need to be balanced?
>>
>>46376207

>characters not specced for it

that's the thing. if you are strength proficient and have a high strength score you are specced for grappling.
>>
>>46376258

>LMAO SWORD AND BOARD ATTACKERS TOTALLY GRAPPLE ALL THE TIME! FREE HAND? RULES ARE GEY LMAO

Fuck. Off.
>>
>>46376274
jesus christ how much a shitmonger can you be?
>>
>>46376140
I agree with you, I just wish the rules were just a little more explicit about it. Perhaps a listing in the combat section stating that you can make Intelligence checks to learn about types of creatures to get Advantage to an action against them, or to grant that benefit to an ally. Right now the 'Improvising an Action' sidebar is very vague and relies a lot on the GM being savvy as to what DC and benefit is appropriate. I like my games to be newbie-GM-friendly.
>>
>>46376290

Less than you cunts, apparently.
>>
>>46375679
>>46375638
This is 4chan, not Toastmasters international.
>>
>>46376207
>retard
And now you resort to name-calling?

3/10 I replied
>>
What's the best class to play a guild wars Mesmer?
>>
>>46375677
If the Heavy crossbow is heavy, a halfling can't use it without disadv
>>
>>46376334
I had a good laugh after googling that and finding out it was a real thing.
>>
>>46376364
Illusion-focused wizard.
>>
>>46376364
I have no clue what that is but mesmer sounds like mesmerizer so I'm gonna say lore bard or GOO warlock
>>
>>46376274

they would only grapple when it is better than a damage swing. that happens to be a lot of the time. either way they can't do it at all if they don't have strength.
>>
>>46376208
You lied about my behaviour and are now using Ad hominem attacks because I called you out. Bravo.

>>46376239
For the same reasons that classes should be balanced. I say -should-, not -need to be-, because people absolutely can play unbalanced games and have fun, and I'm not saying that's wrong. What I'm saying is that I think games -should- present multiple options to a player that are all, within reason, equally interesting and useful. Therefore, balanced. This is because unbalanced games lead to situations where certain builds or approaches are considered optimal, because they are stronger, while others are sub-optimal.

Basically, I don't approve of Ivory Tower game design where certain attributes, classes, or other character options are just inherently worse. Remember, this all started with my opinion, I'm not claiming that's I'm somehow 'right'. Some people love Ivory Tower game design, and I'm glad they're having fun. I just see a system I consider riddled with problems, I demonstrate what about it is problematic, I discuss what changes could be made to fix it, and then I present what changes I would make.

I'm not telling people to use my changes in their game. I'm not telling them they're having badwrongfun if they don't. I'm not even claiming that these changes are perfect. I just think they improve the game by fixing problems I see in it. Whether you agree or not is fine by me.
>>
Why is Arcane Trickster considered bad? He seems to have a great bag of tricks and gets awesome mileage out of SCAG cantrips. But everyone says Thief and Swashbuckler and even Assassin are way better.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>46376599
>calls people retards, cunts and dipshits
>muh ad hominem

Get a load of this guy
>>
>>46376599

>step 2. pretend everyone else is wrong
>>
>>46376629
/5eg/ generally rates things on combat utility. This is often justified, as few groups put heavy emphasis on much else.
>>
On a slight tangent, why is grappling considered so strong? I haven't played much 5e yet.

Is it just the speed reduction? Can you shove them next turn to knock them over and have everyone pile on with advantage?
>>
>>46375779
crossbows are using mechanical strength for the actual firing, the only thing a crossbow needs user strength for is reloading.
>>
>>46376629
Don't listen to those people, they don't realize just how broken mage hand is on an arcane trickster

They will listen when you start invisibly pickpocketing their weapons from your hidey-hole across the room or when your party is basically immune to traps
>>
>>46376655
I think you're confusing me for someone else. The only posts I have made in this thread are the following:

>>46374846
>>46374901
>>46374942
>>46375022
>>46375143
>>46375911
>>46376152
>>46376300
>>46376599

Then again it's an anonymous discussion so if you don't believe me I can't prove otherwise.
>>
>>46376746

Yes, you can shove them prone and give melee advantage, it also messes up their movement. You can put enemies into hazardous zones like flaming sphere and bonfire. You can use grappled enemies for cover. The main the is you lose practically nothing by grappling. It's basically just the athletics check and coincidently most enemies are bad at escaping.
>>
>>46376400
That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure I want missing anything. Are they any good?
>>
>>46376810

>step 3. say you don't care if people disagree and then refuse not to have the last word
>>
As a dumb little thought experiment, I wondered how far I could pare down 5e while still retaining compatibility with adventures.
>Removed skill/tool proficiencies and replaced them with background proficiency as described in the DMG
>Removed racial features except for ability scores, race is represented by another proficiency. Humans get another background to make up for this.
>There are no classes that get medium armor without shields, so shields can be considered medium armor. Weapon proficiencies granted by classes are reduced to Simple and Martial, with armor proficiencies as Light, Medium, and Heavy.
>Rogue and Bard expertise simply add a new background proficiency of the same class name, with the improvement doubling the proficiency bonus.
With this I can fit a first level character onto a single index card with room to spare and theoretically they'd be usable in any adventure. Not sure if it'd be useful in any way but it could be useful if someone wanted to make 5e even lighter than it already was.
>>
>>46376746
If you grapple someone and shove them prone they can't get back up unless they break the grapple, which lets everyone just lay on them with advantage, while they have disadvantage

You can also drag a grappled enemy up to half your speed, putting them in hazards or simply bringing them close so your allies can lay down the hurt

You can shove an enemy down a hill, you can sneak attack them, you can wail on them while they're helpless on the floor

And most enemies you'll find have crap athletics and acrobatics checks, so if you have stuff like barb advantage and/or rogue expertise you can basically be unescapable

Combine with mage slayer and silence and casters will pretty much be done
>>
>>46376918
>race is represented by another proficiency. Humans get another background to make up for this.
huh what
like I write down "Elf" in my proficiency list if I'm an elf? And then if I'm doing something where an Elf would benefit (jumping up a collapsing bridge, spotting a hiding scout party, whatever), I get a benefit from it?
>>
>>46377084
Das racis
>>
>>46377084
Basically, yes. You get to add your proficiency bonus where being an elf would apply.

Also I just realized the background proficiency option in the DMG actually has a paragraph about expertise so that can possibly be used instead of the extra backgrounds I proposed.
>>
What Pantheon exists in your world?

It's probably the bit I'm least interested in fluffing out, so I'm just gonna grab one of the sets in the DMG.
>>
Do you use leather armor AC in the MM goblin's items or the AC of the goblin in his stat block? I always thought it was already figured into the AC of the book.
>>
>>46377176
It was originally going to be Greyhawk's pantheon but I accidentally stuck some Forgotten Realms deities in there, so now it's "whoever the fuck I say is in there."

So far: Pelor, Elohnna, Boccob, Corellon, Chauntea, Moradin, Bahamut, Tiamat (trapped in Baator), and Io.
>>
>>46377176
Generally a made-up one based off whatever the party says/wants or the DM designs. You want there to be a god of X? Sure, ok. Got any more info on this deity?

>>46377197
Eh? I don't follow. The AC for the Goblin in the MM has leather armor built in
Leather Armor: AC= 11+DEX (which is 2)
Shield: +2 AC
11+2+2 -> 15 AC.
>>
>>46377242
Cool, thank you.

I guess my real question was can I just use the AC in the book in the statblock instead of having to calculate it if I see that it has armor in the MM inventory.
>>
>>46377176
The 4 Chaos Gods are the Gods of the Void between Worlds, and are very hard to find a way to worship
Then the rest of the Pantheons are WIP - except Dragonkin has simply Bahamat and Tiamat
>>
>>46375779
Not unbalanced, just stupid.
>>
>>46376889
> Step 4. Don't say 'fuck' anymore, 'cause 'fuck' is the worst word that you can say...
>>
>>46375779
As others have said, it's not unbalanced just dumb.

You could give it a str req for reloading I guess.
>>
>>46375779
Sounds good, I made weapons that have even number of letters be dex based and those that have odd number str based.
>>
>>46374194
>Sort of a murder mystery turned high adventure as the players discovered conspiracies involving parallel universes.
Maybe it points to the truth, using pictograms around its border instead of compass directions. Magic compass of shitty divination.
>>
>>46375779
Min Str to use on the bows wouldn't be total shit, I think. It makes Strength more important, at the very least.

Wouldn't make them high, though. Like, Str 13 for a longbow at most.
Might fuck up Archers though with "muh MAD" or something if you don't compensate for it somehow, though.
>>
>>46376599
Stats don't' need to be balanced against each other for characters to be balanced against each other.
>>
>>46374194
It could point to the nearest planar portal. That could make things a little easier for the PCs.
>>
>>46377176
Made for custom setting based on folklore of the Pacific Rim.

The upshot is that it lets me be really fucking flexible with my players, because if they don't like any of the major deities they can whip up a household or regional deity with little fuss.

Animism a best.
>>
Need a good idea for combat NPC's for my first time as DM
so far I have: Criminal, criminal thief, criminal beastmaster, dog, criminal officer, criminal archer.
Guard, Guard hoplite (spear shield) guard archer. Guard duelist (2 1 handers) guard officer. Soldier, soldier hoplite, horse, soldier archer, soldier officer, soldier duelist.

Guard being as strong as a guard and soldier above that. It is an urban enviroment.
>>
What do aasimar look like?
>>
>>46377542
Shiny Nazis.
>>
>>46377541
fug, guard being as strong as a criminal.
>>
>>46375300
I had 4 of my six players running Death House, and they TPK'd fighting the shadows. I pulled the punch and had the two who passed their death saving throws recover at 1hp and escape back into the house, but their shadows will detach and attack one hour into returning.

Incidentally, what are the ghouls and ghasts doing in their holes? Would the ghasts come out to eat the two that died?
>>
>>46377555
>shiny nazi
Adding fascistic undercover officer because of trips.
>>
>>46377437
One of my players would instantly recognize the reference. But I might give that to them as a way of spicing up divination.
>>
>>46377591
Glad to be of help.

Seriously, though: 5e Aasimar have golden hair, fair skin, an absence of blemishes of any kind, and enjoy telling people what to do, ostensibly for their own good.
>>
I wish I could play instead of dm. I have some fun character concepts.
>>
Hey /tg/, it's not mentioned in the adventure what to do in case the party is able to salvage Strahd's Animated Armor.

What kind of armor would it be? The stat block gives lightning immunity and cold and fire resistance (i figure poison immunity due to it not breathing)

So what would the stats be for the armor if they somehow keep it? I also figure it would most certainly be cursed and sentient.
>>
>>46375911
>getting one extra round of combat every so often. Not really a big enough benefit to make a difference IMO.
You realize that's the benefit of high initiative.
>>
>>46377832
What, is the four sets of full plate not enough for you?
>>
>>46377832
Since they have to destroy it, it probably loses its magical properties. So... if they get it repaired, a normal set of plate armor.
>>
>>46377567
Shadows can be terrifying! They come in swarms, they are very good at getting advantage, and anyone who relies on Strength will find themselves becoming even less effective at fighting as the battle goes on!
>>
>>46377921
How does high initiative give people extra rounds of combat?
>>
>>46378007
Hold Person.

A caster who manages to get the jump on the party could get a party locked down before they even have a chance to act.

I don't know about his extra combat round, but that's why surprise is so important.
>>
File: AVENGER.jpg (37 KB, 366x482) Image search: [Google]
AVENGER.jpg
37 KB, 366x482
Any good Avenger/Invoker homebrews? I know that Oath of Vengeance paladins have some elements of Avengers, but the feeling i got from 4E Avengers was always holy rogues, which is the feeling I'd love to capture again.
>>
>>46376599
First off, Ivory Tower game design means you don't tell players how to play. You put out options and let them figure it out. 5E is not particularly Ivory Tower in design when it has things like
>You can make a barbarian quickly by following these suggestions. First, put your highest ability score in Strength, followed by Constitution. Second, choose the outlander background.
Basically, having different classes favor different stats doesn't make it Ivory Tower design. Pretending every stat is as important to every class when it really isn't is Ivory Tower design.

The point of having different stats be useful for different purposes and different character classes is so that each character has something special to contribute to the team. If everyone used every stat then you'd end up with less defined character roles. You'd also still end up with a best stat spread, only now you're pretending there isn't. That's Ivory Tower design.
>>
What's the best paladin oath to be refluffed as a religious zealot / missionary?
>>
>>46376866
You do lose the use of the hand for other things, normally a shield. Of course, the other guy loses the use of his legs, so it's usually a fair trade.
>>
>>46378222
Devotion, probably? It's the "standard" paladin, so doesn't have anything weird to it.
>>
>>46377940
>>46377929

I can never get enough plate armor.

Well, if the players can't use it, what benefits would Strahd get if he decided the adventurers are pretty strong and puts it on himself?
>>
>>46378170
I'm not that anon, but the goal of making every stat useful for something is to INCREASE character variance.

Currently, 5e says "you're class X? Increase stats A, B, C in that order of priority".
>>
>>46377515
>Made for custom setting based on folklore of the Pacific Rim.
You said this and I thought you meant the movie.

>The upshot is that it lets me be really fucking flexible with my players, because if they don't like any of the major deities they can whip up a household or regional deity with little fuss.

>Animism a best.
Now I'm just thinking of the giant robots that didn't have official names.
>>
>>46378290
OK, but that's not and never was how the game was designed.

What you're talking about makes an incredible amount of sense in a classless system, but not in the context of D&D.

Your class is your job; people are rarely good at eachother's jobs.
>>
>>46378222
Vengeance, definitely
>>
>>46378007
Simple thought experiment. Imagine a creature that dies to three rounds of the party's attacks. It rolls lower initiative than the party. It gets two rounds of actions before it dies. If it rolls higher initiative than the party, it gets 3 rounds of actions before it dies.

I think the benefit of high initiative on actions in combat only solidifies when you finish a combatant though. Basically, if they rolled low initiative, then they could have had one more round when they get taken out of combat.
>>
>>46378413
> The movie
I mean more like Oceanian/East Asian/Western American folklore.

The setting is very high-magic though, to the point that left unchanneled the energies will tear the world apart. The endgame will absolutely have the opportunity for giant constructs wrasslin' giant monsters.
>>
>>46378547
I wish speed factor initiative wasn't so much work.
>>
>>46377969
Hee hee, the fighter who had STR 16 now has STR 5.
>>
So what do people think the next Unearthed Arcana is going to be? Waiting for next Monday!
>>
>>46378576
Print the table out. My group loves it.
>>
>>46378290
First off, it's impossible for every stat to be as useful to every character until class abilities don't care about stats.

Secondly, if you managed to complete that impossible task, that would make the best build for every class having near to equal values in each attribute.

Thirdly, if you pretend to complete that impossible task, but since it's actually impossible you haven't, you end up suggesting that Int is just as good for a Barbarian as Dex, when it isn't.

Lastly, as things stand right now each class has more than one dump stat, so while you know what they should be good at, you don't automatically know how bad they are at what they're supposed to be bad at. This isn't the worst thing in the world, since there's no perfect solution possible (point 1) or desired (point 2).
>>
>>46378562
>The endgame will absolutely have the opportunity for giant constructs wrasslin' giant monsters.
Then all will be right with the world.
>>
>>46378616
After an encounter with some wraiths on Sunday, we found out why druids hate undead so much. A bunch of Shadows not only have a good chance to hit the lower CR of beast forms, but the reduction to strength/HP applies across all forms, so a druid can actually be stuck in an animal form because shifting back would cause him to instantly die.
>>
>>46378701
>but the reduction to strength/HP applies across all forms
How so?
>>
File: Strahd_Header1.jpg (64 KB, 565x240) Image search: [Google]
Strahd_Header1.jpg
64 KB, 565x240
>>46372630
Hiya /tg/

I am running a 5th ed campaign set in Golarion, that will lead players to Barovia and the Curse of Strahd adventure after they get their feet wet with the system.

Until that point what are some 'fun' adventures they can have in Golarions Ustalav or "Not-Transylvania?"

These will change as I get the parties backstories/characters but...

So far I have

- tales of treasure in the deadlands of Virlych ripe for taking by the brave or foolish. (probably requires the party to not be locals)

- rumours of ghouls in the graveyard ransacking ancient tombs. (actually gang of grave robbers, but they wake up some nasty stuff that was better left asleep)
- Were working for a necromancer stealing bodies for experimentation and resurrection.The necromancer.

- the classic bandit gang along the roads between cities. they attack merchants but leave nothing but empty carts and blood stains behind.

- a bounty on wolf pelts placed by a local Bürgermeister as they have been seen on the outskirts of many villages and disrupting business. (a bad portent) they are actually being controlled by a werewolf and are poised to strike several small villages in the area unless the PC's can halt or slow their plans.

Really simple stuff for some early adventures (building up to those big enemies or they can call in the support of some crusaders nearby to help purge these unholy heathens)

What do y'all recommend?
>>
>>46378724
Because it is not damage, it is a reduction, an ongoing effect. It persists until it is dispelled in some fashion.
>>
>>46379017
On the current form. Which has different statistics than you do. Why would it persist in between forms?
>>
>>46379060
I believe the thought is similar to "if someone cast slow on you while in bear form, you should still be slowed when you revert back"

so "if someone reduces your str in bear form, you should have the same reduced str when you revert back"
>>
>>46379060
>>46379160
Exactly. If someone stuns you in your bear form and your ally knocked you into your base form, you are still stunned. Otherwise, onion druids would be even more OP than normal.

"I'm deaf, blind, charmed, frightened, grappled, poisoned, prone, and restrained. Guess it's time to go druid again!"
>>
>>46379160
Those two aren't really the same circumstance in my mind. Your body turns into something else for the duration of Shape, and that body is weakened via the strength drain.

I see where you're coming from, but it doesn't connect for me. I looked at some of Crawford's tweets to see if this was answered, and I found something similar: "If your Str is reduced to 0 in bear form, you die". But, I found another tweet where he said: "The beast regains the hit points when you a heal a druid in beast form.", the question being "does the druid's hp get restored, or the beast's".
>>
>>46379336
Hit points are the exception, because it is specifically stated that the Druid reverts when its beast hit points are reduced to zero - meaning that there exists a divide between beast form and non-beast form hit points.

In all other circumstances, you do not stop being you regardless of what form you are in, and conditions that affect you personally will persist between forms, Druidic or otherwise.

A lycanthrope does not automatically stand up when transforming, instead remaining prone if it was previously. A changeling does not regrow lost limbs when changing form. And a Druid continues to be afflicted by whatever conditions it was previously when shifting into or out of beast form.
>>
>>46378995
>What do y'all recommend?
That you stop your thinly-veiled self-congratulation in the guise of asking for advice, drop the namefagging, and tell us how what sounds like a reasonably well-planned and thought out game goes.

Good luck, Anon.
>>
>>46379483
>In all other circumstances, you do not stop being you regardless of what form you are in
That's not true necessarily. Your physical attributes change. So if your physical attributes in beast form were affected somehow, positively or negatively, why would those changes remain? I understand mental stats changes, because those don't change when you shift.

I'll bring up another example referring to HP: "When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed."
>>
>>46379483
One last add on, sorry. If there's a divide between beast form and non-beast form hit points, why wouldn't there be one between beast form and non-beast form physical attributes? Both of these change when you Shape to and from a Beast.
>>
>>46372630
What skills does a group of adventurers need

-social skills
-fighting
-perceptiveness/trap finding

what else?

I'm setting up my first session as dm just to see what they their abilities
>>
>>46379661
Knowledge skills. History/arcana/religion/nature etc.
You don't necessarily need them, but they help a lot and are good for roleplay.
>>
>>46379701
Ah yeaah
>>
How to seafaring adventure?
>>
File: on-a-boat.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
on-a-boat.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
>>46379912
>>
Light Cleric's domain ability, radence of dawn; does it's "burst of sunlight" count for sunlight sensitivity for that round?
>>
>>46379949
I would think so. It doesn't say it counts for sunlight sensitivity, but it does say "you can use your Channel Divinity to harness sunlight."

I would allow it.
>>
>>46375022
I think you do have to consider class impact though. By making some stats that are currently not as great, better. You will by default make the classes that focus on those stats better.

Is that what we want?
>>
>>46379949
>>46379990
Oh sorry, you said for the round. No, the sunlight only lasts for a possible 6 seconds.
>>
>>46379553
Beg pardon? I just like tapping the /tg/ hivemind sometimes because its a source of creativity outside of my own abilities.

This is my first time dm'ing in several years and I want it to go as well as it possibly can. The name fagging is left over from a drawthread where I was shooting the shit with MimicP to differentiate from responses.

Thank you for the backhanded compliment anon, but I just want to make the best game possible.
>>
>>46380024
Pay him no mind guy, anons bristle against namefags for no reason all the time. your idea looks good.

I would recommend looking into campaigns for other games more suited to the gothic horror genre for scenario ideas

I would recommend taking a look at LotFP if you really want to dig into some fucked up shit, just never read the intros
>>
>>46379637
If it was attribute damage, I would agree with you. At that point, it is damaging the form just like HP are damaged and don't affect the base form.

The difference comes from the damage being an instantaneous source, whereas the effect from the undead is a lasting curse/disease/etc. It continually affects the body until it is resolved.
>>
>>46380404
What's wrong with the intros? Never looked at anything LotFP.
>>
Do text campaigns move faster than normal campaigns?

Kind of thinking of playing one, where could I find them and anyone got any advice about them?
>>
>>46379949
I would say no. Abilities that count as sunlight (such as Sunbeam) specifically say that they do. Note that even the Daylight spell doesn't count as sunlight. Regardless of the fluff, if it doesn't specifically say 'this light is sunlight' or an equivalent, it's at most just a solar-powered laser beam.
>>
>>46380538
>Do text campaigns move faster than normal campaigns?
Almost universally no.
>>
>>46380601
Bit surprised at that figure you can play them 24/7 since all you need is to write stuff
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.