[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You discover a vast enclave of thousand sons still in service
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 15
You discover a vast enclave of thousand sons still in service to the emperor of mankind and have no knowledge of the events leading up to the Horus heresy.
>>
>>46369518
We greet them and treat them as friend, given that they aren't tainted by mutation of the warp and of the current 40k universe.
>>
>>46369518
Wouldn't they have fallen victim to the Flesh Change if they dodged the Rubric?
>>
If i can find them so can the space wolfs. I heroically run away.
>>
>>46369685
This, they're all already mutants.
>>
>>46369518
First things first: BOLT DOWN EVERYTHING
>>
>>46369776
Why blood ravens and sons aren't related.
>>
Neat.

>>46369897
Allegedly, they are. The Blood Ravens have no knowledge of their heritage, and there's some references to ravens of blood being the future of the Thousand Sons in one book. It would also explain their exceptionally high number of psykers.
>>
>>46369958
>It would also explain their exceptionally high number of psykers.

Their Index article say this can be attributed to the fact that Blood Ravens tend to recruit from planets known for high populations of psykers.
>>
>>46369992
That is possible, however there are other references to the fact that the Blood Ravens, caring so deeply for all knowledge, would be hard pressed to have lost such a vital piece of information.

Unless of course, they already know the terrible truth, and have systematically rounded up all evidence and hidden it deep within the most secure vaults of the Omnis Arcanum... Or destroyed it.

Also yes, it could possibly be attributed to that, but the implantation of Gene seed is a wonderful catalyst for activating latent psychic talent. Especially when your progentior was one of the most powerful Psykers of all time.
>>
>>46370032
I agree with that, but I feel it also requires the Flesh Change to not be something genetic but instead to be something that Tzeentch can turn on and off at will, and being the incomprehensible cosmic horror he is, has simply not turned it on, which I'm okay with.
>>
File: 1420643048320.png (445 KB, 1089x1389) Image search: [Google]
1420643048320.png
445 KB, 1089x1389
>>46369518
Set them on a penitent crusade to prove their loyalty and repent for the flaws of their brothers.
If they are still alive and loyal when the Administratum remembers them, they are welcomed with open arms. At arm's length. If alive but traitor, then nothing really changes. If dead, they are posthumously honored and forgotten about.

Oh, and if they prove themselves they get a free rebranding voucher, including new paint job. Redeemable at any good forge world. Sons of Tragedy, perhaps?
They're not going to be allowed to sire successor chapters for the foreseeable future though. Still, getting the biologis some thousand son geneseed variants will be good.
>>
>>46370032
Didn't Gabe specifically say something like "you may tell Captain Thule that the secret of Kronus dies with me" before attacking Vidya? Apparently Blood Ravens discovered something really incriminating on Kronus that they had to risk pissing off the Inquisition to keep it covered up.
>>
>>46370112
Why not make them thousand sons? They are clearly different from blue team and as a result can be told a part.
>>
>>46370127
I believe only Thule said that to Gabe after he was entombed, Gabe only said the secrets of Cyrene died with him in the last mission
>>
>>46369549
Do you want heresy, because that's how you get heresy
>>
>>46370902
Mostly as a way to distance themselves from what the thousand sons were and became. Nobody in the Imperium wants to be associated with chaos so a rebranding and fresh start is a reasonably likely thing for them to do.
>>
>>46371089
>Nobody in the Imperium wants to be associated with chaos so a rebranding and fresh start is a reasonably likely thing for them to do.

Worked for Robute and the dissolution of the legions
>>
>>46369776
>BOLT DOWN EVERYTHING
Too bad for you thry have wrenches in their standard kit.
>>
>>46369518
>Trusting Thousand Sons by their word

Anyone who isn't immediately opening fire before they probe your mind and divine a plan is exactly the reason why the Inquisition exists and needs to be shot like the incompetent heretic they are.
>>
>>46369518
I'd shoot them for having such a stupid sword
>>
>>46371211
>he's never heard of a kopesh
>in the legion based on ancient egypt
>>
File: Godwyn-Ultima_Bolt_Pistol.jpg (17 KB, 301x230) Image search: [Google]
Godwyn-Ultima_Bolt_Pistol.jpg
17 KB, 301x230
>>46371211
>Stupidly designed weapons are punishable by death

I hope you're not using one of these, then.
>>
>>46371287
>4 thousand year old sword
>used by a long dead culture and civilization

my point stands. I'd shoot them for using a stupid sword
>>
>>46369518
Rebrand them as Blood Ravens because loyal astartes are a terrible thing to waste. Cover up their origins so puritans don't overreact.
>>
>>46371340
they will just cut the bullets in half with their kopeshes folded a million times
>>
>>46369518
Is one one going to ask what they've been doing for the last ten thousand years? Have they just been twiddling their thumbs and wondering why the Emperor hasn't dropped by yet?
>>
>>46371401
They've been arguing over who has to answer the phone for 10k years.
>>
>>46371401
Warp travel shenanigans?
>>
>>46371401
The Imperium (or at least GW) isn't very smart. This is the same organization that thought that having the 60 year renegade Night Lord legion being part of the Isstvan V assault force would be a good idea.
>>
>>46371340
>40k
>not completely stupid and running on rule of cool

Fucking hell m8, by that time Renaissance European culture was dead too, are you going to shoot the Grey Knights for using halberds?
>>
>>46371577
I'd shoot them for fucking with the Space Wolves
>>
>>46371600
Space Wolves deserve to be fucked with. Furries are trash no matter the millennium.
>>
As with everything 40k, the Blood Ravens are simultaneously descended from the Thousand Sons and not descended from the Thousand Sons. They also are and are not Word Bearers or Black Legion
>>
>>46371322
Explain.
>>
File: oh_no_di-nt.gif (336 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
oh_no_di-nt.gif
336 KB, 500x213
>>46369518
>You discover a vast enclave of thousand sons

No, you didn't.
>>
>>46369897
The only one denying it is ADB. And he's an autist waifufag cuckmarine writer with daddy issues, so his opinion can be safely discarded.

You heard me Aaron. Jog along.
>>
>>46371755
>Self-propelled rocket ammunition
>Seriously front-weighted pistol
>Incredibly low ammunition count per heavy magazine

That's just the obvious design flaws, nevermind the hellhole that would be Bolter logistics. Try to excuse it however you want, the people who designed 40k have little idea over how to design an actually effective weapon, falling for the typical civilian mindset of "it shoots really strong ammunition, it's a great weapon, right guys?"
>>
>>46371813
They never claimed to know how. It's what looks cool. That's it. Trying to apply real world logic is stupid. They work like old action movies where a gun is fired the whole movie without once being reloaded.
>>
>>46371993
I couldn't agree more, but that was my point. It all began when one Anon was criticizing the use of the kopesh design by the Thousand Sons, I merely pointed out, in an admittedly perhaps too indirect way that all of 40k was running off rule of cool.
>>
>>46369518
I find out what faggot put 40k in our game and kick him out of the group.
>>
>>46369897
Relic stated it as such when THQ got liquidated.
>>
>>46371600
This post explains a lot about the child who posted it.
>>
>>46371173
Is it so wrong to even for a moment assume the best and not risk the deaths of the non wicked?
>>
>>46371813
You missed how stuff like grenade machine guns are coming more and more common? Explosive ordnance has uses, and when you have the technology and ability to deliver that ordnance with great accuracy, you don't need to spray the whole building with small arms fire.

>hellhole that would be Bolter logistics

Explain.
>>
>>46372237
Yes you drooling retard, Tzeentch is the god of hope, therefor hope is the enemy
>>
File: Locke_pattern_boltgun.jpg (53 KB, 379x251) Image search: [Google]
Locke_pattern_boltgun.jpg
53 KB, 379x251
>>46371322
>>46371813
>>46372379
/k/ here. Sorry guys, autism took over for a second and I wanted to point a few things out.

First off, the bolt pistol wouldn't work at all. The magwell is too far forward - chambering a round would put it just about where the flash hider is, and, assuming that the round didn't just fall out of the firearm itself, the accuracy would be practically zero, considering that there's no barrel for the projectile to spin itself with. Typically, AR model rifles have a 1:7 or 1:12 twist in the barrel. This link below explains it far better then I ever could!

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/ar-15-barrel-twist-explained/

Bolt rifles are a little more "realistic." Discounting the ammunition size (Typically referred to as a 0.75" diameter bullet), the bolt gun could potentially cycle ammunition. Considering the size of the firearm as compared to the size of the mag, it'd hold anywhere from 3-10 shots, but that's not terribly important.

In the past, the US Army experimented with what they called "gyrojets." This experimentation happened during the 60's and 70's and was later dropped for multiple reasons. The biggest reason was the lag in firing (which could totally be fixed by the 41'st) and the abominable muzzle velocity. Accuracy suffered greatly, and they never really made it out of the prototype stage.

TL;DR, with modern materials, such a thing is possible, but not at all feasible. Such weapons would be laughably inaccurate, and would have an effective range of 10-50 meters, at best. Anything more then that and the projectile travel time would be greater then the average human reflex, leading to people simply stepping out of the way of the projectile.

<3 u /tg/
>>
>>46372561
Gyrojets are not spin stabilised by rifling, the little rocket engines have a bit of an offset in their thrust so the round spins itself as it accelerates.

Which is why the gyrojet are really inaccurate - they couldn't make the rocket engine alignment good enough because the machining on them were rubbish. It also made each round very expensive to produce.
>>
>>46372561
You are aware that bolters are 2-stage rounds, right?
>>
File: mussle.jpg (43 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
mussle.jpg
43 KB, 880x660
>>46372561
>chambering a round

Assuming the gun uses a traditional "bolt pushes cartridge into chamber". guns like the G11 have a rotating chamber. I remember seeing guns with a revolving cylinder which picked a cartridge and rotated to align it with the barrel, like a revolver cylinder that fed from the side and fits only one cartridge at a time.

>no barrel for the projectile to spin itself with

Gyrojets didn't use rifling, the projectile itself had its exhausts angled so that it created a spin.

>Considering the size of the firearm as compared to the size of the mag, it'd hold anywhere from 3-10 shots

Only if you use the muzzle as indicator of the size of the bullet. At which point I have to question how an AR is even able to fire bullets when the muzzle is thicker than the barrel itself.

If you instead look at, say, the ejection port, which has to be big enough to eject the cartridge, and some extra room in case, you can see that the cartridges themselves are not that big. Also, bolter mags are often depicted as quite thick, which could mean they quad stack.

>The biggest reason was the lag in firing (which could totally be fixed by the 41'st) and the abominable muzzle velocity

Which is why a bolter uses a primary charge in a casing to accelerate the bolt out of the gun with enough force to be lethal at close ranges, after which the rocket booster kicks in.

Thank you for playing.
>>
>>46369711
>>46369685
That would explain how they have no knowledge the Heresy. Despite it being galactic level news for the last 10,000 years.

This is an enclave of deranged, drooling mutants.

I'd have the area swept for cool pre-Heresy wargear and technology, then have the poor beasts purged with fire.
>>
>>46372561
Yeah, but how fucking cool would that be if you could literally dodge bullets? That would make airsoft way more intense.
>>
>>46372791

You know...the entire shell is fired. Why do bolters HAVE ejection ports? Clearly a heavy bolter needs one to deposit the belt links, but why do magazine fed bolters have them?
>>
>>46374809
Access port?

To clear blockages, preform maintenance and eject the occasional dud.
>>
>>46374866

There is no reason to assume that the gun uses a bolt at all, and assuming that, duds can be cleared by just dropping the magazine.
>>
>>46374809
>You know...the entire shell is fired.

Nope. 3e rulebook goes into detail about bolts and mentions that they have a casing and a primary charge. And in 5e SM codex the Ultra marksman medal is made from a casing fired by Girlyman.

>Why do bolters HAVE ejection ports?

Because they need to eject casings. Also, you do realize even caseless guns, like the G11, has an ejection port (at the bottom). What if there's a dud? Or you're emptying the weapon? How do you suppose to eject a cartridge from the chamber without firing it or stripping the gun?
>>
>>46370050

The curse itself seemed to have been accepted willingly, the Flesh Change something that afflicted those that dabbled in sorcery most actively. It's possible the Corvus Cult from which the Blood Ravens are descended was more pragmatic, cautious, or otherwise acting more independently to the legion as a whole, which would explain why they have not changed. Though their central villains seem to always be daemons attempting to drag them back with the rest of their legion, as Magnus promised the WHOLE of the Thousand Sons, and the Blood Ravens are, through some means, defiant in this.

And, yes, the dark gods can choose to spare some. Eldar on Crone Worlds can willingly worship Slaanesh, and thus have their souls spared from immediate consumption in return for fanatically devoted and absolutely monstrous Eldar Champions of Slaanesh.
>>
>>46369518
Invite them over for tea.
>>
>>46374914

That seems really unnecessary. I feel the gun would work better by incorporating that differently...
>>
>>46374905
Cycling the weapon is faster than dropping the mag and then cocking it. Faster is better under fire.

Besides, bolters aren't caseless.
>>
>>46372561
Other /k/ommando here, you're missing some pretty crucial points.

>(Typically referred to as a 0.75" diameter bullet),

Space Marine Bolters are pretty fucking big weapons, designed to be used in a full suit of Power Armor by a transhuman supersoldier. Even Catachans, who are described as being halfway between base human and Space Marine in muscle mass and size, have difficulty using a Space Marine weapon. Human versions are noticeably smaller and fire slightly smaller rounds (though the difference in firepower is academic given the nature of the weapon).

>the bolt gun could potentially cycle ammunition

It could, most especially if it used a rotating cylinder to load ammunition instead of a bolt mechanism, which is likely given the design of the weapon.

>gyrojets

Bolters, as others have pointed out, are 2-stage weapons composed of a traditional charge and a gyrojet.

>with modern materials, such a thing is possible, but not at all feasible

40K doesn't use modern materials, because they've had 40,000 years of tech advancement to discover new things. That's like looking at a Leman Russ and saying, "Wow, what a shitty tank compared to an Abrams," completely ignoring that not only are they designed with completely different battlefield roles in mind but that they're also made with radically different materials.
>>
>>46371600
Ah, all your shitposting makes sense now. Dont take this stuff so seriously, junior.
>>
>>46371797
>autist waifufag cuckmarine writer with daddy issues

You've spent too much time on the internet anon.
>>
File: FuckMohammed.jpg (48 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
FuckMohammed.jpg
48 KB, 250x250
>>46376432

Hi, /k/

Holy Bolt Shell analysis from a recent DH session:

Projectile is loaded in a rimmed, straight metal cartridge.
Projectile/ bore diameter is 0.75in/ 11-ga kinetic penetrator.
Burst charged projectile is launched via powder charge.
Rocket thruster ignites after projectile has left barrel.
Projectile is spin stabilized via tangential thrust.
Projectile is armour-piercing, exploding after penetration.

In M3 terms, a Rocket-Assisted/ Armour-Piercing/ Explosive round.
Extrapolated RAAPE data:

Length (@mean spin-stabilization of 5 calibers): 3.75in.
Ammunition Mass (Bolt Shell = projectile + powder + casing): 190g.
Muzzle velocity: 912fps (launch propellant only).
Total velocity: 1066fps (sustained rocket assist).
Kinetic energy: 9339j (177.37g projectile at 1066fps).
Damage value: 60 AP (penetrates 1.25in hardened steel).
Recoil: 49 Ns (w/ muzzle brake or suppressor, 57 Ns without).
Analogous:.460 Weatherby w/ Carbine form factor (32g at 790 m/s).
Recoil: Extreme. Absorptive harness recommended for human use.
>>
>>46369518
>loyalist thousand sons
So just Blood Ravens?
>>
>>46375110
I'm like the opposite of a /k/ommando. What's the benefit of cased ammo and caseless ammo?
>>
>>46370902
The "sons" refers to Magnus as their father, and he's a daemon prince. They can't keep that.
>>
>>46372561
We're talking about the setting where 8 foot tall superhumans use jetpacks to jump into building sized demons to hit them with chainsaw-bladed-swords

Logic is not something strongly adhered to.
>>
File: MoT.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MoT.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
>>46369518
>vast enclave of sorcerers
>scrying
>divining
>auguring
>for a hundred centuries

"HERESY? Well, that comes as some surprise, anon!"

Do your premises even lift, OP?
>>
>>46372561
>Such weapons would be laughably inaccurate, and would have an effective range of 10-50 meters, at best.
That's why bolters only have a 24" range! It all makes sense now!
>>
>>46369518
"Give the custodes his armour back, you thieving cunts
The Emperor is getting really pissed off at his half naked attendants"
>>
>>46371778
underrated post
>>
>>46370112
I really like this image. Even if I doubt the Imperial Cult leaves much room for Buddhism.
>>
Anyone remember Knights Repentance?
Those were coolest thing /tg/ ever made
>>
>>46381534
Cased ammo gives a nice little gas seal and the brass acts as a heat sink to prevent the chamber from getting so hot to the point where the heat sets off a round the moment it enters the chamber.

Open bolt guns, where the bolt is held to the rear, allows the chamber to keep cooler.

Caseless does away with the case and you get cook-offs galore.
>>
>>46385105
so why would anyone make caseless ammo?
>>
File: PCTA_ammo_compared.png (10 KB, 234x206) Image search: [Google]
PCTA_ammo_compared.png
10 KB, 234x206
>>46385143
It's lighter so you can lug around more ammo compared to cased ammunition.
But until they can fix issues with the propellant and overheating, we're stuck with cased, which still does very, very well.

Also, case telescoped ammunition. Neat stuff that from what I remember and hear also works pretty well.
Sorry for the small pic
>>
File: mule_foundation.jpg (130 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
mule_foundation.jpg
130 KB, 500x378
What's so bad about mutants anyway?
Guise?
>>
>>46371577
In all fairness by the year 40,000 they shouldn't even be using guns really.
>>
Where have you assholes been?
>>
>>46385259
Is that supposed to be David Bowie?
>>
>>46384973

There are a million (whatever) worlds in the Imperium. There are some that haven't seen war in thousands of years. There are some that might be almost indistinguishable from certain places on Earth now.

I'm sure on some Imperial world a descendant of a sect of a revitalized "New New New New New Age" reinterpretation of an ancient religion that was based on ideas of a long forgotten cult that founded it's beliefs on an even older religion that was based on a textbook about Buddhism that was written 7000 years from now could exist.
>>
>>46371778

kek
>>
>>46372561
>This experimentation happened during the 60's and 70's and was later dropped for multiple reasons. The biggest reason was the lag in firing (which could totally be fixed by the 41'st) and the abominable muzzle velocity. Accuracy suffered greatly, and they never really made it out of the prototype stage.

I've built a coilgun as a project for college. I've been toying around with the idea of 3D printing gyrojet shells and trying to build a coilgun around them...somehow.
>>
The Oldest known space marine not living in a metal box is 1100 years old. To not know of the Horus Hersey would mean they are at least 10000 years old. Smells like warp dust. This is a job for the Ordo Hereticus for sure.
>>
>>46371600
> What's that lassie?
> Jimmy is shitposting about his furries?
>>
>>46387560
Abbaddon is technically 10250 odd years old give or take
>>
>>46387560
Catalepsean Node.
>>
>>46376876
He's literally not wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 192x160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 192x160
>>46372561
Jesus...
>>
>>46380222
>Recoil: Extreme.

I doubt the recoil would be any heavier than on a shotgun. The cartridge isn't much larger and the charge doesn't have to be massive.

>>46385215
It's worth of note that before cased cartridges were invented, there was an idea of bullets that could have a hollow space in the rear, containing the propellant and primer.
>>
>>46372561
Literally everything you said is wrong.
Bolters are something that can exist, but they have no purpose in our armies. For 40k though, it's a possible solution.
>>
>>46387292
on the subject of magnetic weapons, how cost effective is a coil gun compared to a railgun?

Also wonder why the Imperium never got into designing magnetic weapons despite the fact that they seem to be pretty basic concepts.
>>
>>46388151
Abbaddon has help from warp powers
>>
>>46369518
>a vast enclave of thousand sons
So like five dudes? The 1k sons were only 10k strong.
>>
>>46385878

That's the Mule.
Asimov's Foundation series equivalent/inspiration to the Emperor.

Read a book, ffs.
>>
>>46395835
Meh, better to wait for the movie. Then read online what it got wrong for the full story.
>>
>>46395835
Which book? :3
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.