[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>that GM who won't let you play the race/character you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
>that GM who won't let you play the race/character you want because he doesn't like them
What was it?
What was the reason he gave?
>>
I hate Gnomes and Halfling and don't allow them, because after many many years I've never seen a useful and\or enjoyable one, no matter the player that handles them.

So I ban them.
>>
>>46368815
The DM before my current one wouldn't allow any crafting at all - not only no magic crafting, but no use of the Craft skill to make anything. So much for my plans to build a base of operations for my party.
It's okay, we TPKed pretty quickly anyway and I found a new group.
>>
>Be primary martial in previous system
>GM converts campaign to a new system because
>Now you are even worse at melee than the full caster who is afraid of weapons
Don't you love forced conversions? I love forced conversions

Inb4 someone asks: from Anima BF (Tao/technician with Rex Frame and other shit) to PF (Monk, simply monk)
>>
File: 1456879286644.jpg (75 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1456879286644.jpg
75 KB, 604x453
>>46369044
>converting to pathfinder
>converting at all
why the fuck do people do it?
it never ever works and your lucky if the campaign doesn't die there and then.
>>
>>46369007
So your personal taste prevents others from even trying?
What if they find the character enjoyable?
I hate elves but I'd never stop my players from rolling as one
>>
I tried to make a robot character in RIFTS, but because I screwed up in character creation, the GM rejected it.

I then submitted a human scholar, making sure I followed all the rules, but the GM disappeared and never got back to me.
>>
>>46368815
d20 Modern, wanted a character who basically worshiped old cheesy films and taught himself to effectively use a military chainsaw.
GM says I can't start with one (it's one of the few base melee weapons in the system, and not a particularly effective one), and I'm not allowed to even take the exotic weapon feat for it.
Said it's "too silly" and it would ruin the campaign atmosphere, and vetoes the entire character to boot. Had to make a new one from scratch.

Shit you not, one session later we see Nicholas Cage was running down the streets screaming about how he's a vampire. The campaign didn't last too long after that.
>>
>>46368815
I'm the DM and this is what I said
>Drow are evil, come from underground and we are doing a good campaign on the surface. You won't even fight Drows, why would I let you play one ? Why would I let you play the sole Drow living on the surface ?
>>
>>46369232
Because the phb specifically says that no race is bound to an alignment
Why would you curb your player's creativity like that? Do you just hate them having fun?
>>
>>46369156
Because I know I'd subconsciously be biased against the player character which would make the game not properly fun for myself and them, and so to remove such a problem pre-emptively I prevent them playing the character.
>>
>>46368815
The GM runs and often creates the world, so what if he does not want every race in the book available?
>>
>>46369232
Ruleswise even if a race is "always evil" doesn't mean every single member of that race is evil, just that 95% of that race members are evil, read the manual next time.
>>
>>46369283
Seems like you're the problem, have you tried to remove yourself? shotgun in the head is a good way.
>>
>>46369283
A longer term solution would be to try and work on your mindset, instead of restricting the players
Just treat them as you would any other player, and if they're bringing the group down by being a little shit, boot them
>>46369302
Not helping, dude
>>
>>46369289
The game needs to be in balance between the GM and the players, if a player says they want to play as a race and can justify it in-world, then there'd be no reason to stop them
>>
>>46369317
>can justify it in-world
Here is the problem
>>
>>46369044
So you basically went from Mystic Gohan to Yamcha while the Wizard is still doing the same overpowered shit but more times per day due vanician casting?
>>
Some of the most fun campaigns I've had were when people were allowed to play what they wanted and brought some crazy stuff to the table like undead revenant soldiers and insane animal races but it worked because they were invested in the character.
>>
>>46369317
You can justify things all you want, and I can justify why it would shaft you. I mean, look at all the shit Viconia had to deal with in Baldur's Gate, and that's just her minding her own business. Keldorn is more evil than she is, and he's a fucking paladin.
>>
>>46369335
If there's a problem is not because race/class, it's because the player is the problem, a good player playing a tiefling/ninja will be still a good player, it's bad players who make shitty tiefling/ninjas.
>>
>>46369044
Did the GM say why he wanted to switch systems?
>>
>>46369302
Hey, if they want to GM the fucking game, they do it instead of bothering me. They came to me because of the last several games I've GMing being fan fucking tastic according to them so if there's anything I don't like, they can fuck off and stop bothering me about it.

>>46369306
Honestly the only thing I ever really restricted was some third party splatbook stuff that they thought would be fun but it didn't actually match the setting so I just suggested another character with a similar concept and they were all over it.
>>
>>46369317
>justify it in world

Which helps with a race that does not exist or would be inappropriate for PC's how exactly?

The worst is people who want to be a race widely feared and hated, they whine when they are banned and whine when they get realistic consequences. They just want to play an orc or a drow or something without any problems. And act like its the GM's fault for not compromising the setting.
>>
>>46369323
Then that's on the player
>>46369356
>I can justify why it would shaft you
If the player understands that there'd be drawbacks and wants to play anyway, then you should let them. If you make up reasons to fuck them over, then that's just being a bad GM
>>
>>46369375
That's even better, since it didn't fit the setting and you advised something similar, and they were happy about it
See, that's a good GM
>>
>>46369389
That sounds like there's faults on both sides.
Firstly, that the GM isn't willing to compromise, is dangerously close to railroading, at least in my book
Secondly, the players need to understand there's consequences for playing certain ways
I had a player once that was a werewolf druid tried to use his druid magic to cure himself but ended up stuck as a wolf, and he'd always keep a wildshape charge spare for when they went into cities or towns because he knew he'd be lynched on sight
>>
>>46369215
What makes a chainsaw a mitary chainsaw??
>>
>>46368815
LITERALLY never had this problem
>>
>>46369298
Man thats like saying you should be aligned same as race, but you don't have to either. Sooo, do whatcha want!!
>>
>>46369448
Not as hefty and made with a different goal in mind-- cutting through stuff like fences, rather than trees.
>>
>>46369483
Alignments were a mistake
>>
>>46369401
>If the player understands that there'd be drawbacks and wants to play anyway, then you should let them. If you make up reasons to fuck them over, then that's just being a bad GM

The thing is, while I generalise, any player who demands to play a race and will not take no for an answer WILL ALSO see any oppression for being a member of said race as being a deliberate attack on their person and take it personally as opposed to simply due to choice of their character.

This problem is twofold; first it causes unnecessary drama and aggressive/passive-aggressiveness at the GM.

Second, it derails the game into being all about that particular player and how they can't stop being persecuted, meaning all the OTHER players don't get their fair share of the limelight because they chose a race that can actually do things without being harassed every five minutes for the colour of their skin or shape of their ears.
>>
>>46369502
>Alignments as a rule is a mistake
FTFY
>>
>>46369448
Laser sights, duh
>>
>>46369516
How does playing a race lead to anything you've said, unless the GM is a spineless idiot? Sounds like you are blaming the wrong thing
>>
>>46369538
He's clearly talking about the player being the problem, not the race.
>>
>>46369232
Good for you. If you had allowed them to play that, you'd be hated for having superstitious surface dwellers react as they would.

You can't win, so don't play.
>>
>>46369538
See
>>46369401
>If the player understands that there'd be drawbacks and wants to play anyway, then you should let them. If you make up reasons to fuck them over, then that's just being a bad GM
>>46369356
>You can justify things all you want, and I can justify why it would shaft you. I mean, look at all the shit Viconia had to deal with in Baldur's Gate, and that's just her minding her own business. Keldorn is more evil than she is, and he's a fucking paladin

Playing a drow in a standard pre-built setting will get you fucked over in many settings. So at that point either the setting has to change (drow are now treated as well as elves) in which case there's no point in being super special race, or the player starts getting fucked over in small ways, which gets blown out of proportion by the player, and starts being all about how "the drow set fire to the town guard after they didn't help when he assaulted this guy for spitting at him in the street and now the party is on the run from the kingdom and any plan of the former campaign is utterly ruined because of one player EVEN THOUGH the other players might have actually wanted to play not criminals".

Sure, it might not happen. But it's almost certainly going to. The player demanding said race and refusing to change is the problem here.
>>
>>46369446
>not letting people play orcs or hated underground torture elves is 'close to railroading'

That is completely ridiculous and I would never trust a player who felt that way.
>>
>>46369516
Then try actually talking to them, so it seems less arbitrary. Explain why they're being discriminated against
To your second point, that's your doing. You're so caught up in the race of just one of the characters that you don't allow time for the rest of them? Don't make everything about race. There's always exceptions to rules, including the rule that "everybody hates drows"
You're as much of a problem as the player here, by the looks of it.
>>
>>46368815
>Skeleton Rogue
All souls of the dead are owned by Hades, and he never allows them to return. All undead are automoatons devoid of reasoning, rationale and incapable of growth.
>>
>>46369572
But it is.
It can be reduced to "You have to play MY way!"
Not allowing a player to play because you don't like the concept, and forcing them to play a certain way could be classed as railroading
>>
>>46369583
But that's false, many souls have escaped the Hades and the Tartarus
>>
File: foppish.jpg (35 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
foppish.jpg
35 KB, 400x300
>>46369583
>not letting them play as a skeleton
>>
>>46369608
Well, perhaps not none had ever returned, it was a while ago.

Even then he still said no sentient undead.
>>
>>46369156
Not about taste.
Gnomes and Halflings characters never do anything positive for the story.
They are an excuse for behaving stupidly and having some cheap laugh, and that's it. It would be fine if there was more to it, but it never is.
>>
>>46369565
We have a drow player and our setting is FR.

He's background says on his first raid to the surface he got clocked by some village farmer with a mallet, before he was able to do any killing or raping. The other drows dragged his ass back to the Underdark so that they could tell him to his face he was a disgrace to drow before banishing him to the surface.

When he joined the party he was wearing face powder and was able to pass himself off as a wood elf without anyone being able to see through his disguise.
>>
>>46369644
>Gnomes and Halflings characters never do anything positive for the story.
Never heard of Regis?
>>
>>46369644
That is just your taste, though.
Not every person is going to play a gnome or a halfling the same way, but you should stop that player from doing so because you've seen others fuck it up?
You're stopping yourself from enjoying the game as much as you are for them
>>
>>46369580
See, that might actually hold water if it wasn't for things escalating.

It's similar to rogue players who start acting up and doing terrible shit, but at least rogues don't HAVE to get provocation all the time so might be reined in by the paladin or something.

It starts with "someone disrespects me" or "I attempt to pickpocket" and then rolls downhill into "the palace is on fire in an attempt to distract the royal guard at the attempt of tracking you down after you slaughtered your way through the standard town guard".

What exactly is a GM supposed to do, if he allows this shit? "Your player has become a criminal that the party doesn't want to help out so you're out of the game"? Because that'll cause the same drama as stopping him from playing his character that didn't fit.

Or he should be allowed to get away with for gutting a guy who called him a pointy-eared dark-skinned freak? Because that's what is almost inevitably going to happen anyway after two or three anecdotal events.

And then we have to kick the player from the group after talking to them hasn't worked. If the guy won't compromise when the GM says "I do not wish you to play this race" the guy isn't going to compromise when he says "I don't want you to start murdering everyone and derailing the campaign because your race isn't liked."
>>
>>46369007
What a douche.
>>
>>46369028
Your DM sounds just awful.. I'm sorry bruh.
>>
>>46369652
Did he get picked up on by the GM as a potentially bad sort and refuse to change his backstory or setting?

If not, then did he turn out badly? How did the campaign go?
>>
>>46369232
Drow-Banning is one of the few racial bans I agree with fully. That and Munavri, in Pathfinder. Stupidly OP anyway.
>>
>>46369694
Then he sounds like a bad player, and you are well within your rights to punish him by making him a criminal the party may not want to associate with
Or, if they enjoy his character, they may try and clear the charges or bust him out of jail
Try suggesting to him to invest in a disguise kit/skill to avoid the discrimination, or tone it down or your part, mostly to people whispering around him and shop owners not trusting and guards keeping an extra close eye on him and waiting for him to do anything suspect.
As before, you've done little to defuse the situation yourself. You seem to have given up trying to reason with him before you've even started
Remind him that playing as a male drow, he should be used to being the lowest rung on the societal ladder
>>
>>46369302
Ooooh 2edgy5me.
>>
>>46369644
This is 0% valid. Into the garbage your opinion goes!
>>
>>46369694
Slippery slop
>>
>>46369644
Sam, Bilbo and Frodo want to have some words with you
>>
Banning something because after doing research and finding it to be too hard to balance, be it overpowered or underpowered = OK.
"Hey anon, please don't play a Monk in this Pathfinder game, we're trying to keep it tier 3 and 4". Perfectly fine.

Banning a concept because it doesn't fit in with the world that the GM and players have agreed on = also OK.
"Hey anon, this is a world strongly based on sub-Saharan Africa, so please don't be a kung fu shaolin or something." Just fine.

Banning a class because the concept doesn't fit the world = WRONG DON'T DO THIS YOU DUMBASS
"This is a sub-saharan Africa setting, so you can't be the monk class." wrong wrong wrong

Refluffing is always an option. Just rename the Monk to 'fistfighter', call ki 'tough spirit' and you're done!

Likewise, you don't need to ban paladins just because this isn't medieval Europe! Just call them Samurai or god-touched or heavenblades or whatever.
>>
>>46369044
>anima to pf
Just why? They are so vastly different starting from a scratch would make more sense.
>>
>>46369719
No he was in the campaign from the very start and none of us nor the DM objected, although the DM did warn him that if he let it be known that he's a Drow openly he should expect a lot of trouble in town.

We're four sessions in and no one except our cleric has any ideas yet. He got knocked out in one fight and our cleric had to heal him, so he noticed his face paint running off on his fingers but our cleric decided to keep that to himself for now.

He hasn't really done anything unusual, although he did pick up a quest payment for our elf hedge wizard (who was drunk at the tavern and trying to hit on anything resembling female) and picketed half of the gold once.
>>
>>46369812
Monk is tier 6, is not fine in a tier 3/4 game
>>
>>46369838
That's the point, weevil-brain.
>>
File: 1403137257472.png (151 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1403137257472.png
151 KB, 450x300
>>46369302
>>
>>46369742
>You seem to have given up trying to reason with him before you've even started
That's because the (hypothetical) player in question has already been unable to take a hint, compromise, or otherwise bend, as demonstrated

by their lack

of being unable to take a more suitable race. (At least, in the rare exception of things, if the player backstory was at suitable to having a reason to avoid such prejudice one can work with it such as >>46369652 it might work out ok. But that is the rare exception, when it's usually the player going "I want to play a drow" and then not budging).

By the very premise the player is promising to be a shitstorm. And it'll take 4-5 sessions to get to that point and then half the leads in town have been burnt up, and you have to spend two more sessions just repairing it in order to shoehorn this player's character back into the game whereupon it'll just collapse a couple of sessions later because no-one's having fun.

I haven't actually had any of the problems above mainly because I play with friends only instead of pickup games, so it's all cool and there's rarely anything I don't let them do.
>>
>>46369830
Sounds like a good character. I'd be more inclined to let someone like that in, definitely.
>>
>>46369872
They're just a bad player then, it doesn't mean that you should have a blanket ban on all drow, a bad player's gonna be a bad player, regardless of race
I loathe using this argument, but not all drow players are bad players
>>
>>46369812
This kinda gets more complicated depending on the setting and the class? Monks can easily be refluffed without changing any mechanics but some classes are harder to refluff than others.

What if I'm playing in a setting without God's? Am I wrong for banning Clerics, Paladins, Rangers, and Druids?
>>
>>46369908
That's easy!
Paladins and Clerics gain their powers from their oaths to do good!
Rangers and Druids get their powers from the magic of nature or nature spirits!
>>
>>46369946
>Paladins and Clerics gain their powers from their oaths to do good!
>Rangers and Druids get their powers from the magic of nature or nature spirits!
So God's by another name.
>>
So I guess you wouldn't have a problem with a human who rapes the queen in front the country and burns orphanages? I mean, after all he's human, he's allowed to be a That Guy if he plays humans, no?
>>
>>46369953
The first one isn't at all, it's more the promise they made and the strength that gives them
The second one not necessarily, they'd just get it from the more primal side of where magic comes from
>>
Wanted to play a Bearon barbarian who wielded an anchor into battle. DM denied me because there wasnt any official 5e data for them which I guess is technically true, I was still salty over it though.
>>
>>46369007
That's okay. I'll play a Kender instead.
>>
>>46369908
Yes, if you're keeping wizards and sorcerers and psionics and whatnot.

You can literally just relabel 'divine powers' as 'arcane powers'.
WOW SO HARD MANG
>>
>>46368815
>You can't play humans, they got overharvested by changelings over 800 years ago so no one can remember them
Not a problem for me, since I didn't want to play a hummin anyway, but our fighter took a bit of issue with it. Also in hindsight the reason sounds pretty bullshit.
>>
>>46369953
In DnD as written, you don't need to be religious be to be a cleric or paladin.
Your magic is literally powered by your faith.

The Faiths of Eberron setting book even talks about how they tried to create 'clerics of patriotism' that believed hard enough in their own nation.

It didn't work all the time... but the Lord of Blades, who is literally just a level 12 Fighter warforged, has clerics that pray to him and cast spells just fine.

This is explicitly supported by the text. You don't need gods for divine magic to be in your game.
>>
>>46369908
>someone didn't read the manual
Clerics and Paladins can worship ideals not gods, druids worship nature not gods
>>
File: laffin lions.png (216 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
laffin lions.png
216 KB, 393x391
>>46369984
>>
>>46369990
So why can't a Wizard cast Miracle?

Why can't a Wizard Learn Miracle

Why can Clerics cast in heavy armor? Why would they fuck up casting Arcane spells? Why do they need a Holy Symbol to cast a spell?

Why can't Clerics learn Fire Ball?

Why even refer to them as Clerics at all if they have nothing to do with the Divine and are essentially just Wizards?

Why do Paladins have to be good if they do not derive power from any specific enitity?
> psionics
I was going to use this as my other example, becuase I'm actually running something similar.

What if Psionics was the only form of magic in the setting. That makes the other classes even MORE out of place
>But refluff
>Uh why does this guy need to Sing and Dance to manifest his power
>Why the fuck is this guy turning water into wine, literally no one else does that?
>How come this guy suddenly can't use his power after doing something bad?
>>
>>46369977
If there aren't rules for that I understand the GM not allowing me to play it
>>
>>46369908
I once played a druid in a Dark Sun setting, so he was definitely out of his element.

I played him like that one dude in Dune that wanted to terraform Dune into an earth like planet. My guy had faux middle east name, had a camel for animal companion and was originally just a guy in charge of digging and maintaining the tribe's air well. His tribe people though he was just really good at reading the land and the air to get the most productive air well but actually it was because he was secretly using druid magic to make water ex nihilo.

Whenever there was a down time I would have him go off and dig up all kind of animal fossils out of the desert to prove that the world was once green (and thus has the potential to be green once again). He had a sketch book that he would draw in imagining the kind of prehistorical animals that existed based on the fossils he dug up. There were really far off though due to the incomplete fossil record which contributed to him coming up with a drawing of a giant velociraptor with long arms and spins on its back which he called "fleshraker", hence explaining how he unlocked that wildshape.
>>
>>46370016
>Clerics can worship ideals not gods,
Guess the person who didn't read the manual was you.
>>
>>46370029
>So why can't a Wizard cast Miracle?
>Why can't a Wizard Learn Miracle
Because they learn their spells through logic and empiricism, not faith
>Why can Clerics cast in heavy armor? Why would they fuck up casting Arcane spells? Why do they need a Holy Symbol to cast a spell?
>Why can't Clerics learn Fire Ball?
>Why even refer to them as Clerics at all if they have nothing to do with the Divine and are essentially just Wizards?
Because of what every other anon has said about faith
>Why do Paladins have to be good if they do not derive power from any specific enitity?
They don't.
>>
>>46370035
>I once played a druid in a Dark Sun setting, so he was definitely out of his element.
But there are druids in DS, they're guardians of a specific terrain feature.
>>
>>46370047
>Because they learn their spells through logic and empiricism, not faith
And what if Faith won't give you magic in the setting? That's my point.
>>
>>46369007
I'm the same but I include dwarves in that list.

I'm a hightist, so sue me.
>>
>>46370029
Because they're different classes who specialize in different things, same way Psion gets different powers than Psychic Warrior and viceversa even both being Psionics.

Never go full retard, anon.

Also, I wizard can totally learn and cast miracle, there're feats and PrCs for that.
>>
>>46370029
Because they power their magic with faith-power instead of brain-power.

>Why even refer to them as Clerics at all if they have nothing to do with the Divine and are essentially just Wizards?
Don't, then. Call them something else. Nobody in a game actually says "I'm a cleric" just like nobody says "I am a rogue" or "I am a barbarian". That's dumb, who would do that? Cleric is a game concept, not a setting concept.

>Why can't Clerics learn Fire Ball?
That's like asking why you can't play Smoke on the Water properly when you learned to play the trumpet instead of a guitar.
You learned the trumpet and so you know the spells and sounds that work best on a trumpet. Some trumpet sounds are similar to guitar sounds, some aren't. If you want guitar sounds, better learn the guitar (be a different class).

You seem to be using the game rules to model the game world, which... isn't how games work. They're games, not world simulators.
>>
>>46370035
>I once playerd something that totally fits Dard Sun setting in a Dark Sun setting
Ok...I once played a Gondorian city guard in a Lord of the Rings game...your point?
>>
>>46370051
Yes I know, our DMs made sure every oasis we visit had one squatting it, so I had to be the face when we go to one and do all that druid secret language and Freemason handshake thing.

But that's the thing, you run of the mill druid in dark sun is not really the adventuring type.
>>
>>46370068
>If you want guitar sounds, better learn the guitar
>laughing_sound_engineers.jpg
>>
>>46370055
>And what if Faith won't give you magic in the setting? That's my point.

Then instead of faith-power call it ego-power. Literally the force of their ego makes magic work like that for them.

Or just see >>46370068
They learned a specific style. If they want to do stuff with the other style, then they'd better learn that style. You can be a great sculptor but that doesn't mean you know shit about painting.
>>
>>46370055
Your point was that there were no gods in your setting, now you're backpedaling.
Faith can exist without gods, and vice versa.
If faith doesn't give you powers in your setting, then there can be no clerics or paladins
but that sounds boring
>>
>>46370055
>First is No Gods, now is No Faith
You keep moving the goalpost here, what's next, No Magic?, then No Supernatural powers? why the hell are you using D&D if you don't want to play D&D?
>>
>>46370068
>You seem to be using the game rules to model the game world, which... isn't how games work.
No that is how you do it, because if you don't do it like that you end up with huge fucking plot holes.The game(and the rules I implement) define the way things happen and the way the world works.
>>46370068
>Because they power their magic with faith-power instead of brain-power.
>faith-power
Than it's not Psionics
See:>>46370055
>>
>>46370068
>Brain-power
Sorcerers and Bards say hi
>>
>>46370102
Bard's and Sorcerer's don't use inner power. Bard's use the power of Myths and legends in order to do things and Sorcerer's have an innate understanding of how to conduct the signs and rituals of Arcane magic.
>>
>Thinking classes are Jobs and not game concepts
Holy shit, not even D&D is that retarded, why you?
>>
>>46370094
>No that is how you do it, because if you don't do it like that you end up with huge fucking plot holes.The game(and the rules I implement) define the way things happen and the way the world works.

Congratulations on doing things wrong since the late 70s and early 80s! Have a quote from the PHB 1st edition.
>It is important to keep in mind that, after all is said and done, ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is a game. Because it is a game, certain things which seem "unrealistic" or simply unnecessary are integral to the system. Classes have restrictions in order to give a varied and unique approach to each class when they play, as well as to provide play balance. Races are given advantages or limits mainly because the whole character of the game would be drastically altered if it were otherwise.

DND IS A GAME.
Because it is a GAME and not a WORLD SIMULATOR, it has GAME ELEMENTS to make it FUN and INTERESTING.

Or would you prefer a quote from the Hero System Rulebook, instead of DND?
> Most important was giving the game the “flavor” of a good action novel or a movie. When realism conflicted with that goal, we put realism in second place. Then we tried to reduce the rules to the simplest set of numbers we could come up with, so that the game mechanics wouldn’t get in the way of having fun. Finally, we tried to put in rules that would encourage storytelling on the part of the players and the GM.
>>
>>46370035
while dark sun might complicate things, a druid hailing from a harsh environment is a relatively common theme, can't see why any DM would ever veto it
>>
>>46370109
Look, someone who doesn't know shit tries to tell us how shit works.

Sorcerer power can totally be raw and wild inner magic that came from his ancestors, in fact, that's the main explanation for the sorcerer class, though there're others. You can cast shit because your grandpa was a dragon, for example, it comes from your bloodlines, not because you understand shit, it's an inner power.
>>
I don't play fucking tabletop lmao fucking nerd just play Skyrim or something.
>>
>>46370089
>why the hell are you using D&D if you don't want to play D&D?
Why are you putting words in my mouth?
>>46370120
I don't but the way they WORK and FUNCTION are tangible things within the world that people would be aware of if they people within the world have an iota of intelligence. People would quickly notice that the Psionicist and the Sorcerer are doing fundamentally different things in incredibly different ways.
>>
>>46370131
>Because it is a GAME and not a WORLD SIMULATOR, it has GAME ELEMENTS to make it FUN and INTERESTING.

And what if a world where the game rules shape the way the world functions is FUN and INTERESTING to me and my players. Is that not encouraging story telling.
>>
>>46369903
>it doesn't mean that you should have a blanket ban on all drow
While it doesn't mean I *should* have a blanket ban, it *does* mean I can spot bad players a lot sooner if they flip out about not being able to play a particular race.

I don't even ban drow, I actually ban aasimar and tieflings
>>
>>46370173
>I actually ban aasimar and tieflings
Any reason beyond "because I don't like them"?
>>
>>46370173
>ban tieflings

Why? I imagine tieflings are more common than drow on the surface. And in no way are they always rape babies.
>>
>>46369007
Ditto because of Arcanum
>>
>>46370139
lol okay just don't play necromancer redguard it goes against lore :^)
>>
>>46370044
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm
>Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells
>A cleric’s deity influences his alignment, what magic he can perform, his values, and how others see him. A cleric chooses two domains from among those belonging to his deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain.

>If a cleric is not devoted to a particular deity, he still selects two domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities. The restriction on alignment domains still applies.
>Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells
>A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.

>(if he has one).

Please tell me more how clerics can't have gods, go on. You might be using a different edition to me, but then I'll go quote something else.
>>
>>46370186
>>46370181
Well, it's actually because the homebrew setting I use is dimensionally locked, so no outsiders can get in. Therefore no angelkids or demonbabbies.

I let two players play with aasimar and tiefling stats and appearances, but didn't tell them that they were actually fae. They loved the plot twist.
>>
>>46370212
So no demons or devils in your campaign? what do you use for high level threats then?
>>
Let's see, in the Wastes, I have relatively few rules.
>No People of the Spider, aka Drow
>Play as a goblinoid, and you are going to get shit on by just about everyone you encounter
>Given the setting, normally the party needs to pick between Arcane and Divine as with relatively few exceptions, those two mix like fire and gunpowder.

Never really been an issue, and over the course of four campaigns in the setting, it's never caused issues. We build characters together on the first session, anyway, so people are all there together as they brew up a party. Even in terms of healing, never much an issue. Once someone brought a Cleric of Gears, and the other time the party was heavily Carskan/Arcane, they just relished in the joy that is industrialized healing tonics.
>>
>>46370197
Pick the PHB and try finding it by yourself.

Spoiler: It's in there.
>>
>>46370197
Try reading the 1e, 2e, or 5e PHBs.
>>
>>46370224
Fae. More fey. The campaign ended up with the party going up against a bullshit fey queen riding a mile long sky wyrm that breathed antimagic death beams and a captive level 18 level enchanter along with her retinue.
>>
>>46370234
Oh, and no tieflings. But that's simply because they don't exist in the setting. Yet to have anyone even ask to play a dragonborn, though they do exist after a fashion. Relatively small presence in the West, however.

I guess the big thing I always make sure new players understand is that you are not going back to the East. Yes, it has a map and all of the various states have been fluffed up, but it exists more or less solely as background as the source of the colonists currently spreading across the West and interacting with the Natives. John Wayne movies don't often take a stroll back to Philadelphia, and neither are you returning to Lorne.
>>
>>46370197
Pg 30 of the PHB under Religion.

>Some clerics devote themselves not to a god but to a cause or a source of divine power. These characters wield magic the way clerics
devoted to individual gods do, but they are not associated with any religious institution or any particular practice of worship. A cleric devoted to good and law, for example, may be on friendly terms with the clerics of lawful and good deities and may extol the virtues of a good and lawful life, but he is not a functionary in a church hierarchy.

That was fucking hard
>>
>>46370224
I'm not him, I'm the guy making the Psionic only world, and my world straight up doesn't have planes/multiverses/etc.
>what do you use for high level threats then?
An intercontinental war that will essentially destroy the world, very High Level Humanoids(evil emperors), cabals of Lizard people attempting to control humanity from the shadows, Kaiju tier monsters waking up and drastically disturbing the ecosystem.

>>46370246
>Someone is playing Pathfinder/3.X
>read the rules from this other edition with it's own set of rules.
>>
>>46370299
See >>46370289
Woah, incredible is like you were wrong the whole time
>>
>>46370299
Did >>46369908 mention 3.PF? No? Well, guess it was perfectly fine to assume it was talking about 5e then.
>>
>>46370276
Pretty dope. Western Wastes fag here, and the Fey definitely occupy one of the major sources of 'End Game Power Threats' in the setting. Though they're also quite literally the natives as well, old enough that their immortality has cracked their mortal minds and unchained the physical limitations of their power. A fact that perhaps the most mundane 'Big Bad' I have ever designed is currently seeking to exploit, a Carskan rail baron building his rail network as a magical circuit focused on the territory of a particularly potent Fey. He's seeking to bind the chief more or less as limitless arcane battery, powering his network of trains upon raw magical energy rather than coal or nepenthite.

>Fey
>Aberrations through the Manifold
>Carska's elite's fuckery
>>
>>46370312
How the fuck can I be wrong about the way I decide my goddamn setting functions?

If my setting doesn't have divine sources, it won't have divine sources.
>>
>>46369007
Based , im dming a games and gnomes and halflings are traditional slave races
>>
>>46370331
>big bad
>wants to drain the fae of magic to run a train empire
>bad
Have any of the players considered supporting this rail baron?
>>
>>46370341
>or divine sources
>OR
You're still wrong, it says causes or a source of divine power, I chose cause, boom, neither God neither Divine power source and I still get to be Cleric

Please, continue moving the goalpost, you're also losing in his part of the field
>>
File: You.png (5 KB, 756x81) Image search: [Google]
You.png
5 KB, 756x81
>>46370326
No, but I have it on pretty good authority that he was assuming. And the guy who the other poster responded to was using the d20SRD, which is essentially 3.5 rules.
>>
>>46370326
Only a small problem, not very important though, In 3.PF you also don't need to worship a good to be a cleric
>>
>>46370356
>>46370356
You're still a divine caster drawing divine power from an Ideal. You're arguing semantics and you know arguing like that would get your ass kicked at any other table.
>>
>>46370326
>>46370312
>>46370361
This is a stupid discussion anyway, the REAL point is >>46370341
who is saying "things that give divine magic doesn't exist in the setting. Can I ban clerics and paladins and other things that use divine magic?"

Apparently according to >>46370356 you can be a cleric even if your spells in setting don't have anything powering them, with no downsides.
>>
>>46370029
Because dnd is a shit system and rpgs are for kids
>>
>>46368815
Friend's planning a pathfinder campaign, I told him I want a gnome bard. His first reaction was that rocks tend to fall pretty easily in some places. So now I'm planning to have my bardling be obsessed with big pointy hats and those shoes that curl at the toe. The pointier and curlier the better.
>>
>>46370374
Divine power is just a name, it doesn't have to come from Gods or Deities, see Druids and Rangers who praise shit and get powers from Nature, any nature, desert is also nature, if there's something there's nature, so unless you play in a setting before the big bang you'll also be wrong, and if you play in a setting before time and mass, nobody can play shit because shit doesn't exist.

Now, go shove a cactus into your ass.
>>
>>46370353
That's why I had it in quotes. Carskan evil is an interesting thing. Half of it is straight up Saturday Morning cartoon level, such as waging a near genocidal war because 1) the mountain that the peaceful neighboring theocracy's god supposed lived on was rich in a magical material they were desperate for more of and 2) the Colleges of War, Artifice, and Medicine had a lot of neat experiments they wanted to test out. For a bit more information, the College of Medicine is more or less the College of Necromancy, Creating Therianthropes, and Biological Warfare but also Potions.

But then there's the other half of Carskan evil that's just corporate, bureaucratic evil. Actually, see point 1 in the Unification Conflict above. And the enslavement of an elven chief as a living battery. And general money-grubbing scheming.
>>
>>46370405
See
>>46370389
Nature is Nature and won't give any magic for respecting it in my setting., because it's not alive and your not going to get any special "nature force" for not littering or praising it..
>>
>>46370389
>Apparently according to >>46370356 (You) you can be a cleric even if your spells in setting don't have anything powering them, with no downsides.
>with no downsides
Welcome to Wotc casters, enjoy your ride.

Unless you're full retard you'll never ever have a downside as a caster because thanks to being a caster is so easy to go around any possible downside it's like they weren't there. That's why normal people play other systems, systems with no disctintion between supernatural powers, systems that don't treat character concepts as setting concepts.
>>
>>46370433
>systems that don't treat character concepts as setting concepts.
What the fuck does this even mean? People shouldn't treat a sword like a sword because the rules say it should be a sword?
>systems with no distinction between supernatural powers
Why is this a bad thing. If anything D&D SHOULD make MORE distinction between supernatural powers.
>>
>>46368815
I never allow WoW-tieflings and dragonborns.

because i am old and hate these things.
>>
File: 1370617895235.jpg (75 KB, 737x758) Image search: [Google]
1370617895235.jpg
75 KB, 737x758
>>46368815

>tfw DM won't let me play a female character
>>
>>46370405
>Welcome to Wotc casters, enjoy your ride.
Or I could just ban several classes from the game, if that's the setting I want to DM for, can't I?
>>
>>46370481

That's good. You have taste. Those things suck anyway.
>>
>>46370504
>Or I could just ban several classes from the game, if that's the setting I want to DM for, can't I?
You also need to powerdown every encounter and monster ever because they game assumes you have powerful casters in your team to do everything forever, welcome to wotc idiocity.
>>
>>46370545
Isn't that only in 3.PF? Didn't 4e and 5e fixed that?
>>
>>46369812
What if I want to play a strong independant fist fighter who needs no caster faggotry?
>>
>>46370481
>because i am faggot and hate fun things
Fix'd for you.
>>
>>46370545
Well, I'm not actually >>46370299 but I support his right to strip out half the classes from the game even if it means he needs to retool most of the game to do it.
Since I'm >>46370276 I also removed all gods from the world, but instead replaced them with godlings and spirits, shinto-style, so everyone got their own personal divine helper type things, from familiars to paladin mounts. The players loved having their very own helpers.

It turns out all of those things were brainwashed fey, too. And the monsters covering the surface of the planet were also fey. Everything was fey.
>>
>>46369984
underbasted roast
>>
>>46370565
4E, yes.

5E... kind of. Without a reliably source of mid-combat healing, you're going to fall apart quickly as well as in the long run. Your only source of AoE control is in the form of casters as well as your only source of healing. So anything with relatively large numbers of enemies, fair fights, and sustained combats will gut you like a fish. Particularly at low levels, as bounded accuracy more or less ensures that 'most' attacks will hit, since HP is being used more or less purely as a sponge for damage.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (18 KB, 524x280) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
18 KB, 524x280
>>46370565
>dnd5
>fixing anything
>>
>>46370620
>that last sentence
Syndrome? Oprah? who are you?
>>
>>46369984
Such a great race, and one that I would love to have in just about every party. It's a pity that the Burger Kings of the internet has shat on that race with such frequency and intensity that few people actually understand what playing with or as a kender is really about. Hell, half the niggers don't even understand that a sizeable majority of the setting they are from hate the little bastards, and guards routinely round them up like stray dogs and toss their asses out of towns.
>>
File: aHDWU67[1].gif (2 MB, 480x271) Image search: [Google]
aHDWU67[1].gif
2 MB, 480x271
>>46370663
>>
File: 1409354941767.png (409 KB, 1324x739) Image search: [Google]
1409354941767.png
409 KB, 1324x739
>>46370672
>few people actually understand what playing with or as a kender is really about
Actually they do, you just have to read the 3.5 description of kenders to realize you're the one who doens't get them.

Maybe kender were different before, but now they're pic related.
>>
>>46370720
>half of that shit is bad simply because there are red lines around it
>explicitly don't take valuables or crucial items, and are just as likely to leave a boring old healing potion in your pocket when they filch an old spoon from your mess kit
>literally only one race has any positive to say about them, and that's the race of backwards wild elves that people consider more or less animals

So, take one page from an RPG book over literally every iteration of the race in every book that is written about them? Like, if you're such a sperg you don't like the concept of a race of childlike fuckwits that most of the world see as pains in the ass but make for fast friends and well-intentioned scoundrels, then I'm not sure why I'd want to play with you. Do you go out of your way to murder clowns and mimes, btw?
>>
>>46370720

Makes me want to play a burly sell-sword kender who's adventuring because the rest of his people are retarded chucklefucks. Something something The Stranger except 3 feet tall and swords.
>>
>>46370345
Why would anyone want such a shitty slave?
>>
>>46370774
>most of the world sees as pains in the ass
Re-read They make friends easily and people like them. That's what people have a problem with. They should be treated as scum and hated on sight by civilised races. But they're cutesy so apparently not.
>>
>>46370774
>Do you go out of your way to murder clowns and mimes, btw?
Not kill, but if I had a clown/mime 24/7 being a clown/mime near me, it'd annoy the fuck out of me and would leave, if he follows me I'd call the athorities, if he insists I'd ask for a restriction order, if he insists I'd probably go violent.

I don't befriend childlike fuckwits neither put my life in their hands, dunno why any adventurer would do.
>>
>>46369517
Nah, the whole idea of categorizing hundreds of personalities into 9 retarded archetypes is a mistake.
>>
>>46370796
Not really sure you're reading it correctly. Given that literally every human settlement typically has statutes against kender being inside city walls, dwarves and elves along with every evil race, all dislike kender. The literally insane gnomes and the backwards wild elves are the only cultures that typically like kender. If you had literally ever read a Dragonlance book, you might be able to know what the fuck you're talking about.

>>46370811
Which is why that is more or less how the world reacts to them. Hell, of the Heroes of the Lance...

>Flint - begrudgingly accepts Tasslehoff as a friend, but still sees him as a pain in the ass
>Kit - fuck that annoying fuck
>Sturm - what a miserible sob, please keep him away from me
>Raistlin - indifferent, but probably enjoyed Tasslehoff sowing annoyance
>Riverwind - this is why I hate civilization
>Cameron - hurr, funny little man, hurr
>Tanis - he's shown his uses, he helps to inspire the party's morale, and he's helps cope with the horrors of adventuring, and nothing short of dragonfear and the Cursed Tower of High Sorcery can scare the fucker
>Goldmoon - I'm the chosen of a goddess of motherhood, and I like the child-like Tasslehoff, surprise

And even the one's that accept Tasslehoff tend to roll their eyes or groan when they see other kender. Tanis sees the tactical use of befriending them since they can get you into just about anywhere, and Goldmoon is more or less the Party Mom and tends to get along with them but doesn't go out of her way to associate with them.

Fuck, I think Krynn probably regards them about on the same level as gully dwarves, except possibly worse than gully dwarves stay where they belong.
>>
File: Egil Iron Kraken.jpg (24 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
Egil Iron Kraken.jpg
24 KB, 200x300
>>46368815
Just play human. Problem solved
>>
>>46368815
Aside from in-setting reasons (when they don't exist) i don't see other reasons for them to be non-playable unless they are a hostile nation by them selves.

I do practice one retarded rule however.
All half-orcs are neutered during their childhood by either authorities or the various temples.
>>
>>46370920
But crossbreeds are sterile as a biological rule.
>>
A DM once refused to let me play a warlock because he claimed they weren't "a real class" because they were introduced after 3e and that they are always evil.
>>
>>46369232
Just ask them this:

''Do you want to have your character attacked by every single civilian you ever meet?''
>>
>>46370920
>All half-orcs are neutered during their childhood by either authorities or the various temples.
What if they were born into Orcish society? Or do they geld Half-Orcs too? What about if an Orc and whatever exist outiside either parents society and raise they kid their?
>>
>>46370940
>civilians will attack the armed 18 STR Orc carring a great axe that just wants a drink and a place to sleep, but not the bandits or demons accosting them
>>
>>46370930
Not in DnD.

So to prevent players from playing the noble savage who nobly and savagely rapes and pillages i simply have them be unable to pop a boner.

>>46370966
Orcs are viewed as soulless demon spawn and live like cavemen in my setting.

They get the ''eradicate on sight'' treatment from everyone.

Orcs don't take no prisoners and even if they do they eat them.

Human barbaric tribes and wood elves hunt them for sports.
>>
>>46370971
>An Orc tries to approach a guarded gate of a human/elven city.

>He's shot through by 20 crossbow bolts in a matter of seconds.
>>
>>46371011
So why do souless spawn run around raping bitches? If they kill what they catch there would be no mothers to give birth to Half-Orcs.
>>
File: nailed it.png (345 KB, 498x568) Image search: [Google]
nailed it.png
345 KB, 498x568
>>46368815
I had one DM who wouldn't let me play as a warforged because he didn't like them, said they were retarded
And he "educated" read: brainwashed one of my good friends into thinking 1st ed is the best, bards are useless and the only playable races are humans dwarves and elves.
>>
>>46371075

Because they don't care about spawning half-orcs. They just want to rape and murder. Half-orcs are an accident, when a woman somehow manages to crawl away or when she isn't eaten right away.

They're a race that should never exist, and indeed exists only by accident.
>>
>>46371075
Lore reasons.

Orcs in my settings were once humans who got corrupted and altered by an evil deity.

The end result was they became pig-nosed gorillas with the instinctive violent behavior of chimps but no possibility of ever developing any sort of intellect.
>>
>>46370940

That's bullshit.

What you ask them is: "Do you mind your character being disliked by pretty much everyone you meet?"

Oh yeah sure. Bernie the forty something town guard is going to go running screaming with an axe at the guy who just walked into town because he's a drow.

Yeah. That's realistic. Because every single person you meet is a berserker with a personal stake in Drow guts.

OR

Bernie the town guard looks at the drow trying to walk in with his party members and says 'Oi. That's a fucking Drow aint it?'

Party Member: "Yeah. But he's been with us for a while. He's okay."

Guard: "But he's a fucking Drow!"

Party Bard: "Yeah, we know. But hell, everyone's heard the story of HandsomeDevil - that hero Tiefling. And his dad was a fucking Devil of the Nine Hells. It's not that weird that you'd get a non-dick Drow, right?"

Guard: "I guess that makes sense?"

Drow: "Uh guys, i can just stay outside the gates if you need me to."

Party Cleric: "Look, i'm a priest of BigGood. I'm pretty freaking trustworthy. I'm vouching for him."

Guard: "I don't know..."

Roll Diplomacy!

Guard: "Okay. Sure. He can come in. But we're keeping his weapons here."

Drow: "I'm fine with that." / "I'd rather keep them and stay outside. Thanks anyway." / "Okay." *roll stealth to hide a dagger*

Fucking hell.

Yes, a player should have consequences for picking weird races. Guess what! They probably LIKE having those consequences. They are fun. They are good for roleplaying.They make a character, and provide good reason for someone traveling in a party, and give good obstacles for players to get over.

If the only consequence you can figure out for your race is 'you just got murdered bitch' you are just a shitty DM. You are like the DM equivalent of a Murderhobo.
>>
>>46371086
To be fair, Warforged also don't really fit in a lot of settings. Warforged are like Tieflings, Shifters, Shardminds, Kalashtar, and Githzerai. They really don't fit in every setting, and I would have no real problem with a DM letting me know I couldn't play a Super Magic Robot Man.
>>
>>46371145
Why won't humans ally with half-price to beat a common enemy? Also us statistically impossible all half-price are neutered, because you can't be in control of every orc childbirth in the planet, not even irl happens that
>>
>>46371178

That's dumb. Think of it more as being a black man in the South, during the height of the Confederacy. You'd be fucked.

No, if you play a race that everyone hates and fears, you're going to be hated and feared. People will cross the street to avoid a Tiefling, or make signs to ward off evil. If you're a god damn Drow elf, word is going to get around. Suddenly, shops are closed. Suddenly, the tavern has no room.

What are going to do? Kill everyone? Then you better get used to sleeping in the rough.
>>
>>46371194
The setting was a nation ravaged by war for centuries though
>>
>>46371178
Eh, to be honest, the vast majority of times, when a player wants to play an edgy race, it's just because they're an edgy shitlord. If you actually expect them to go along with penalties and ramifications, you're expecting a little much out of the average Drow player.
>>
>>46371204
>half-price
Fuck you SwiftKey, no, srl, fuck you
>>
>>46371204

Because the sight of a half-orc fills people with virulent disgust and hatred. Sure you can't control every childbirth, but the ones you find? You neuter or kill them. The ones who don't get neutered or killed live in the dark corners of the earth, or far from everyone.

Not suited to be a PC at all, because if you show up you're kill on sight.
>>
>>46371216
And did that war directly cause the creation of sentient magic robot men that were free-thinking enough that in the wake of said war, they were just allowed to go about their business and becoming adventurers?
>>
>>46369232
Don't most settings have drow be almost like skaven, where almost nobody even knows they exist?
>>
>>46371194
If your setting has lycanthropes shifters fit
If your setting has demons or devils tieflings fit
If your setting has magic warforged fit
Etc
>>
>>46371231
Wear a hat.
>>
>>46371242
Or, you know, they don't.
>>
>>46368815
Aracockra.
Because he hates the Dark Crystal, and he knows I know this.
>>
>>46368815

I disallow stupid or illogical classes, or special snowflake ones. All the PCs are normal, average scum, and they'll have to work their way up.

Also, let's be frank: All my players can't really portray non-human races well. So it's humans, half-elves, elves or dwarves in a pinch. The rest, no one cares.

Remember, I don't have room for special snowflakes. I'm running a game for five people, or four. If you want to be supah special, you can fuck right off.

Even if we're playing Exalted, you're all the same kind of Exalted. You don't get to be some kind of 'special' Exalted because you want to be UNIQUE and SPESHUL.
>>
>>46371242
>lycanthropy is a curse, "half" werewolves and their ilk don't really happen
>the magical nature of demonic forces means in the unpleasant happenstance of a child being born of one and a human, the child will be a horribly mutated monster, not a dude with horns
>magical study is not sufficiently advanced enough to create free-willed, thinking, sapient constructs
Get out of my house, there are reasons for A to exist and B not to.
>>
>>46371234
If a nation's been at war for centuries, and one side is dwavish, who are renowned for their mechanical expertise in this setting, where stone and iron golems have been engines of war for a long time, and the player characters start out as prisoners of war, would a warforged be that much of a stretch as an advanced/prototype iron golem that was given intelligence so it could act when cut off from those given the orders?
>>
>>46371242
>If your setting has lycanthropes shifters fit
Depends on the nature of lyanthropy in the setting
>If your setting has demons or devils tieflings fit
Depends on the nature of demons and devils in the setting
>If your setting has magic warforged fit
Depends on the nature of magic in the setting.
>>
>>46371213

I'm not saying they're gonna have a fun time. I'm saying that having them auto-murdered is fucking retarded.

Black people weren't genocided in the south. A lot of them were killed, but it wasn't totally open season.

> No, if you play a race that everyone hates and fears, you're going to be hated and feared. People will cross the street to avoid a Tiefling, or make signs to ward off evil. If you're a god damn Drow elf, word is going to get around. Suddenly, shops are closed. Suddenly, the tavern has no room.

That's doing it properly. A shunned races should be shunned. He was claiming that being a drow would be automatic combat with literally every single person.

The party would probably leave their Drow somewhere rather than bring him into town most of the time. But hell, some of the bigger cities could probably tolerate him without him spat on too much.

And at higher levels no one is picking fights. Sure, they might call the guard, but how likely is it that there are specific anti-Drow ordinances on record? Pretty fucking unlikely. So basically it comes down to a charisma check for someone to convince the guard to let him go.

>>46371217

True. But thats a bad player, not a bad concept. If we discard every interesting idea because shit players exist, you might as well strip out everything from D&D but the combat.
>>
>>46371286
Dunno, ask the DM. It is his setting after all, fuckface.
>>
>>46371280
>I disallow stupid or illogical classes, or special snowflake ones.
Somehow this makes you sound like you'd ban elf fighter because elf has a minor Con penalty. I'm really hoping you're not a godless cuntstain exerting Terry Goodkind levels of forcing your opinions on people and simply chose the exact words that would make you sound like one on accident.
>>
>>46371254

You better wear a full-body costume, to hide your skin. Also, you can't conceal your weird body shape. Or your face.

And people are going to be suspicious of the dude who is constantly hiding his face. You'll slip up, and it'd be hilarious when you do.

But really, most people don't really, really have their heart set on playing weird races. They just want to be a snowflake, the PROTAGONIST or MAIN CHARACTER of the ground. These idiots fail to understand that in an RPG, it's a GROUP of heroes. No one guy is the main character of the saga.
>>
>>46371285
Tieflings aren't half fiendish. Half Fiends are something else.

Tieflings, by default, are the result of fienidsh corrupstion somewhere in the family tree. Your ancestor could have been one of those mutated monsters or maybe your grand dad was a warlock who spent to much time communing with fiends.
>>
>>46371303
I did, I rationalized it and the other players thought it sounded cool, but he said he didn't like warforged so I found another game
No need to get so salty
>>
File: ok.jpg (12 KB, 300x244) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
12 KB, 300x244
>That player that wont stop bitching that I won't let him be Saitama in M&M

It's just like when he watched JoJo and always wanted to have time-stop powers in our games
>>
>>46371217
Newsflash edgy players are going to be edgy even in only human allowed campaigns
>>
>>46371316
>Also, you can't conceal your weird body shape. Or your face.
Cloak, hood, mask.

>And people are going to be suspicious of the dude who is constantly hiding his face.
"I'm a big ugly fucker."

>You'll slip up, and it'd be hilarious when you do.
That is, in fact, half the fun of playing someone like this.

>But really, most people don't really, really have their heart set on playing weird races. They just want to be a snowflake, the PROTAGONIST or MAIN CHARACTER of the ground. These idiots fail to understand that in an RPG, it's a GROUP of heroes. No one guy is the main character of the saga.
That sounds like a whole lot of projecting, m8.
>>
>>46371316
A helm of disguise, then
That's still a hat
>>
>>46371312

Oh, come on. You know what I mean. In a world with no Gods, no divine classes. In a Western campaign, no samurai or ninja. In a savage prehistory world with no literacy, I'm not going to let someone play a Wizard or loremaster.

Like, work with the other people in the party. Make it easier on the GM, because I don't want to have to bend over backward to accomodate you.

If I say "This setting has no magic", I won't let you play as a spellcaster, full stop. Also, why would I let you play as shit like a lizardman in a normal D&D campaign? People would scream when you walked down the street. You wouldn't be able to interact with people without getting a lynch mob.
>>
>>46371332
>Guys, I had such a badass and awesome explination and all of the other players were totally on my side about how awesome my character would be and he's had have rocket hands and laser eyes and then that faggot of a DM said no
>But I showed him, and I found an even better game. Now I'm playing a trans-species kelpie that things it's a nightmare. How rad am I?
>>
>>46371330
>Your ancestor could have been one of those mutated monsters
A somewhat gelatinous blob of oversized fetus with too many eyes had a family? I wasn't aware my setting was a hentai.

>or maybe your grand dad was a warlock who spent to much time communing with fiends.
Then you'd be a sorcerer.
>>
>>46371347
This. I prefer humans only for other reasons, but a bad player is bad player and making him write a differen thing on his scrag of paper won't make him less bad.
>>46371344
>I won't let him be Saitama
Why would you want to be Saitama? He has a pretty crappy life.
>>
>>46371350

So basically you want to derail the game as hard as you can. It's like playing a muggle in a setting where everyone's a Wizard: You're that one fucker who's making it harder for the DM to run the god damn adventure.

Seriously, why play with you? It's less work for me if I have one less player, especially one who refuses to play nice.
>>
>>46371316
Smelling that gm levels in here, that or bait, either way here's your (you)
>>
>>46371366
Are you okay, anon?
Do you want to talk about it?
>>
>>46371364
>simply chose the exact words that would make you sound like one on accident.
Then you're mostly this.

>Also, why would I let you play as shit like a lizardman in a normal D&D campaign? People would scream when you walked down the street. You wouldn't be able to interact with people without getting a lynch mob.
In most of the D&D manuals I've read lizardmen are predominantly neutral and have been known to form alliances with sympathetic humanoid cultures. I don't really see why people would freak out over a lone lizardbro hanging out with more normal humanoids considering that.
>>
>>46371379
I tried to tell him that Saitamas thing is that he is bored out of his mind because of his power,
but he didn't seem to get it
>>
>>46371370
>I wasn't aware my setting was a hentai.
Your welcome
>Then you'd be a sorcerer.
Or you could be a tiefling or both! Your setting is your setting of course, but by "default" fluff a tiefling is the result of someone in the family being influenced by the forces of evil but not necessarily genetically related.
>>
>>46371366
Projecting like Imperial Guard artillery
>>
>>46371364
>Western campaign with no Eastern influence
>Despite the influx of Chinese immigrants
Should watch Kung Fu, my friend. A pretty great example of why having a Monk in a Western campaign can be a rad fucking addition.

>Savage Prehistory, no loremaster
>Not having the tribal storyteller who holds the rites and stories that have been passed down through the generations, who knows that the warrior is the descendant of Urgu Dragon-Tamer who broke the will of a great scaled beast long ago and that the druid in the direct scion of Gulgo Fire-Breath whose bond with the element of fire was so great than a mere gasp could scorch a bear clean

I mean, I'm even one of the thread's nofunallowed faggots arguing for the DM's right to say no, but there are definitely pretty strong reasons for some of the stuff you're banning. I'm sticking with you on no wizards with spellbooks and such in the primitive setting as well as no divine classes in a godless world, btw.
>>
>>46371385
>So basically you want to derail the game as hard as you can.
A DM who isn't absolute trash would go over the "person is suspicious of big fuck, big fuck explains he's got a face like ground meat, person decides he doesn't wanna see that and walks off before the huge guy gets pissed" once, then gloss over it unless it would contribute to the game in a meaningful way to have someone exploit the character's race or means of concealing it.

How is that derailing?
>>
>>46371385

You sound like an awful fucking DM if "I want to put a cloak on so people don't notice i'm weird looking" is 'derailing the campaign'.

How railed is your campaign motherfucker? Are people derailing the campaign if they want their character to have their own goals too?

Do people play your game, or do they all just sit around the table as you tell them what they are doing?
>>
>>46371425
>but by "default" fluff
If it's my setting why in fuck's name are you bringing up default fluff to begin with. You've specifically been told tieflings don't happen, default fluff on tieflings is automatically not relevant.
>>
>>46371388

Look, I've been a DM for ten years. And what I've learnt is that I need to make the game as easy as possible to run, because if one player derails everything, that's the whole night wasted.

And that starts with all the players being roughly human-normal, or of the same capabilities. It's a pain in the fucking ass if I have to constantly rejig things for one dude. This is why the Pathfinder APs all have "You're all (this kind of guy) with (this little backstory feat) to distinguish you."

All I want is for the players to have an adventure then call it a night as we move to the next module. I work full-time, and I don't want to deal with that shit.

>>46371434

Yeah, but why? Here's a problem with all those weird classes: The equipment.

Why would anyone happen to have monk equipment? You're the only monk in a thousand miles, maybe more. More, you're the odd man out in the party. Nothing about the setting suits you.

It's just easier not to have to deal with that.
>>
>>46371385
Dude, unless you make the campaign all about the big scary guy in a cloak, the player can't really derail it
That's just bad GM'ing
>>
File: Ninja_Male.png (81 KB, 300x325) Image search: [Google]
Ninja_Male.png
81 KB, 300x325
>>46371434
What about settings where Ki, Katanas, and Ninja etc weren't invented by that settings Asia equivalent. A katana isn't foreign, it's just another kind of sword people use. A Ninja isn't a mystic warrior from the Far East, their ruffians who figured out how to use internal energies in order to sneak around and fight.
>>
>>46371437

> How railed is your campaign motherfucker? Are people derailing the campaign if they want their character to have their own goals too?

Is your goal compatible with the party's goals? If not, you can fuck right off. You are a group, come hell or high water, or you're not playing at my table.

Everybody wants to rule the kingdom, and you want to start a peasant revolt? You can go piss up a rope.
>>
>>46371434

>Savage Prehistory, no loremaster
>Not having the tribal storyteller who holds the rites and stories that have been passed down through the generations, who knows that the warrior is the descendant of Urgu Dragon-Tamer who broke the will of a great scaled beast long ago and that the druid in the direct scion of Gulgo Fire-Breath whose bond with the element of fire was so great than a mere gasp could scorch a bear clean

You mean, a Bard?
>>
>>46371479

> do they all just sit around the table as you tell them what they are doing?

So that's a yes to that then? Cool.
>>
>>46371479
That sounds awfully boring, anon, not allowing people to play their own characters and forcing them to be your character in your masturbatory fantasy
>>
>>46371479
>wanting to go on adventures and NOT get lynched is somehow at odds with the parties goals.
>>
I thought this was a that GM thread not a half people here are actually that GMs
>>
>>46369599
You are arguing that the GM doing his job and vetoing things that do not fit the campaign is 'railroading' which either makes you a delusional idiot or renders the term railroading useless.
>>
>>46371459
Why would anyone happen to have monk equipment?
See:>>46371478

Alternatively, with the right skill ranks they could know how to make their own equipment and just need to get it enchanted.
>>
>>46371505
>>46371507

It's what everyone agreed to at the beginning. Three people want to rule the kingdom, you're the one guy who wants to do something else. Why would they have you in the party? Your goals don't cohere with the others.

This is a classic "MAKE me WANT to go with them" character. Or the kind of character that deliberately attracts the bad kind of drama that can get PCs run out of town and/or killed.
>>
>>46369268
>Why would you curb your player's Special Snowflake Syndrome like that?

Fix'd that for you, anon.
>>
>>46371515
I know, right?
I made this thread to vent and hear stories, but I think it's going pretty well so far
>>
>>46371459
>Look, I've been doing it wrong for ten years. And what I've learnt is that I need to make the game as easy as possible to run, because if one player derails everything, that's the whole night wasted.
It's called improv, mate.

>And that starts with all the players being roughly human-normal, or of the same capabilities.
So your lack of imagination is the players' fault?

>It's a pain in the fucking ass if I have to constantly rejig things for one dude.
It's a footnote 99.9% of the time. Come on.

>This is why the Pathfinder APs all have "You're all (this kind of guy) with (this little backstory feat) to distinguish you."
Why the hell is a DM who's been running for a decade using the shitty modules Paizo of all talentless writers publish instead of running a few updated classics or stealing maps while writing their own adventures?

>All I want is for the players to have an adventure then call it a night as we move to the next module. I work full-time, and I don't want to deal with that shit.
Jesus, so you've been babby's first DM for ten years?

>Yeah, but why? Here's a problem with all those weird classes: The equipment.
Oh boy here we go.

>Why would anyone happen to have monk equipment? You're the only monk in a thousand miles, maybe more. More, you're the odd man out in the party. Nothing about the setting suits you.
A stick and a set of clothes I brought over on the boat is hard to obtain in this setting? Is your western full of nudes in a world where sticks are impossible?

>It's just easier not to have to deal with that.
I had to get up and walk around my room after reading this, it was too much for me to bear.
>>
>>46369694
Personally? I play only with friends and I let them know well in advance that this sort of bullshit will be met with an appropriate response.

Even the worst player I've had realised when he'd royally fucked up (broke into a nobles feast) and pulled some trickery to ''disappear'' followed by a bunch of good deeds in hopes of wiping his karma slate clean.

It helped that it was during down time. Other than that, he was just the headstrong tiefling that the rest of the party had to reign in from time to time and the party used it as RPing opportunities
>>
>>46371531
The foil is a wonderful part of a story, and a group that all works together perfectly can be fun at first, but gets stale very quickly. A group like that has no dynamic, no diversity, and most importantly, no fun
>>
I'll admit I don't let people play drow or dragonborn.
Drow because good drow are a myth
Dragonborn because they don't gel with the whole Tolkien/prattchet tone I try and create.
>>
I allow everything as long as has a similar powerlevels as what other players have, never, in 12 years, had a problem but for twi fuckos who were going to be fuckos no matter what they played

No idea why you have so many problems
>>
>>46371536
Forgive me if I don't want to play in a group of cookie-cutter characters
Sometimes, having a different character can make things more interesting
>>
You know what? Every restrictive as fuck DM I ever found was a "give me give me give me I want this" disruptive kind of player who wanted to be as special and unique as possible, dunno if it's my bad luck or what though.
>>
>>46371521
A GM's job is to tell the story, and make sure everyone's having fun, not to decree how everyone else must have fun
Of course, fun is everyone's responsibility so if the majority of the group don't want a thing in the story, then it probably shouldn't be there
I guess our groups are just different
>>
>>46369044
JUST
>>
>>46369814
This exactly. Hell, I kinda like PF, but these are not systems designed to model the same shit.

It would be like going from Shadowrun to Dark Heresy. Yeah they both have magic and guns but that's about it.
>>
>>46371652
Those kinds of people tend to have the stupidly overpowered DMPC run in and save the day, too
They can't stand anyone being more unique than them

In my experience though, it's the DMs with no imagination that restrict what players can play because they can't take into account how to funnel them towards the goal they want if they have all sorts of exotic abilities
>>
>>46369812
>playing a system that uses classes

What a pleb
>>
>>46371615
If you're playing in a group that can't create something unique with common race options, I think the problem extends beyond "The DM won't let me play the unique butterfly."
>>
>>46371698
Dude, one of our players had a middle-aged gnome barbarian woman who tore shit up with 2 battleaxes
That's all with standard races, but if a player wants to play an Aasimar or Genasi to add a unique aspect to their character, why would you stop them?
>>
>not liking fish out of water character concept
>>
File: cool, dawg.jpg (37 KB, 775x775) Image search: [Google]
cool, dawg.jpg
37 KB, 775x775
>>46371748
I like you
>>
>>46371589
>good drow are a myth
So, what, Eilistraee doesn't exist at all in your setting? Just Lolth?
>>
>>46369007
I don't like halflings and gnomes so instead I reskin them into something I do like. Pic related is how I do gnomes. Yeah, I'm shallow enough that changing how a race looks can make me like them more.
>>
>>46371748
>tfw the humans you agreed to join on a hunt for the great beast in your woods don't even eat the kobolds they encounter on the road
>>
its pretty damn entitled to think that just because its in a book you should somehow be automatically allowed to play it.

The GM's job is to decide what does and does not exist in the world and which books are allowed.
>>
File: dorfsatyr.jpg (36 KB, 300x432) Image search: [Google]
dorfsatyr.jpg
36 KB, 300x432
>>46371866
I'm down with that. I used this for dwarves.
>>
>>46371589
>prattchet
>not having weird shit that breaks the mold everywhere
>>
>>46371875
It's a mindset that started in AD&D 2e and grew throughout 3.x and 4e.

It's why so many people hate GURPS, they can't comprehend that just because something is in a rulebook doesn't mean that the players get to use it or that the GM needs to use it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.