[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm gonna run an Only War Campaign soon. What do i need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: IGIJOE.jpg (75 KB, 900x366) Image search: [Google]
IGIJOE.jpg
75 KB, 900x366
I'm gonna run an Only War Campaign soon.
What do i need to know /tg?
What to avoid?
What to do to immerse my players as true Guardsmen?
>>
I realize now this is a terrible time, will repost tomorrow morning.
>>
>>46367013
To make them fight necrons.
To make them not fight necrons.
Shoot them.
>>
>>46367013
Have it on a spaceship with gene stealers and mordians
>>
>>46367013
Tell them to make a shit ton of characters.

Make them die in horrible meat grinder situations. Over and over again.
>>
Missiles fall, everybody dies
>>
>>46367905
If not this then at least kill off their comrades a lot.
>>
>>46367013
this https://1d4chan.org/wiki/All_Guardsmen_Party
>>
>>46367013
Study this>>46371950
>>
>>46367013
I was lucky enough to have players that didn't know anything about 40k but still wanted to try the game since they knew I was a massive fan. So they read the rules, and they were kind enough to abode by my demand to only read the fluff parts in the rulebook that I approved, these parts being the ones where it's basically almost pure propaganda.
Then I gave them my Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, told them to each read it thoroughly, and we were good.

There I had it, my squad of naive young guardsmen, fresh from the standard farming world, ready to be sent to hell and back. The campaign included in the book is honestly pretty good for a first time. The difficulty can be harsh if you don't plan ahead, you die very easily and a lot in Only War if you as GM wants to do so and the players aren't tactical.
It was quite funny to see them follow the sergeant charge a mon of orks and then turning heels and running for their lives when the Nob cleaved the sergeant in two.

Remember that they're playing an army, so they technically can't do whatever the hell they want, use orders to sorta railroad if that's your thing, or don't and make them deal with the consequences.
Make sure to pay attention to the Insanity and corruption meters, it brings out the horrors of war. My players are still ongoing as the veterans of the now-severly depleted regiment, but half of them are unpredictable as hell and one has become an actual danger for the squad and might fall to chaos soon but the squadmates don't want to rat him out.

Make your players read some war stories if they want to get better in character, but not 40k stories if you want to do same as me.
>>
File: guard.jpg (423 KB, 900x666) Image search: [Google]
guard.jpg
423 KB, 900x666
>>46367013
Remember: enemies use grenades too.

If your not making an incredibly artistic true to life map for them to be on. Then simply remember to mention that the enemy is attacking from; extreme range, close range, etc. So they cant use shotguns and laspistols to hit targets 100m away.

Last thing to remeber. The officer characters are not actually in charge, so they shouldnt boss other characters around. Ideally, you want to appoint the officers out of experianced players or previous GMs, so you can dump some of the responsibility for unit organisation on them. The unit should organise ITSELF, and if it doesnt you should killpunish them. They need to be organised or you'll have a crappy game.

And for the love of god. Dont let the commissar threaten everybody every minute with summary execution. I dont know where this meme started, maybe black library, but for the love of god just whip someone whos out of line, not execution. Give them permenant -5 str +5T or +5WP.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.