[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most useful magic item you've ever received?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10
File: Instant Fortress.jpg (43 KB, 718x659) Image search: [Google]
Instant Fortress.jpg
43 KB, 718x659
Post the most useful magic item you ever gotten and the most creative way you've used it
>>
Troll gut rope. Was a 30ft loop of rope that could extend up to 500ft/day , could be cut (whereupon one end of it turned into normal rope - determined by player). Could also retract at a slow rate, preserving total daily use.

Combined with use rope and inventive use of animate rope, it got a lot of use.
>>
>>46367002
We got a thing that floated at about 100 feet above the ground. No amount of weight could make it move down, and it would drift with the wind.

It was a dumb magical object but we built a framework around it, a platform with sails to catch the wind and anchors to stop it from moving when we wanted to stick around. Ropes could get you down fast, but we also had a big fucking basket to haul things up and down.

It stayed a pretty normal dungeon crawling game with some crazy rogue trader element where we'd go back to our airship at the end of the day.
>>
>>46367002
Fellow player in Scion had a mask that always had another mask underneath it so that his face was never revealed unless he spent a point of willpower. We made a fort out of them to lure a bird out of hiding.
>>
Winged shield. Not very unique, but I was playing a barbarian, so I didn't give a shit about fall damage. Any boss of significant size would get meteor dropped.
Also, the catfolk monk had sandals of weightlessness, and didn't even take fall damage for the first 30 or so feet.

Every boss got about 10d6 of damage from two medium objects falling on him from 50 feet up. Plus attacks.
>>
>>46368722
>Newton's third law
Thing angers me on a physics level
>>
>>46368610
All I can think of is the scene in Deadpool with the Hugh Jackman mask.
>>
A mosin nagant
>>
>>46368911
Look out guys, its the Physics Paladin here to smite those who defy the laws of gravity.
>>
>>46367002
A magical coin that i could return to my person by mental command. Used many a times to distract people by rolling it away from me and having our wizard control its path, only to make it teleport back once it rounded a corner.
>>
>>46367002
A truly immovable rod. Made a killing pretending it was Excalibur and charging people copper to test their strength and see if they were the One True King.
>>
File: Undercooked_Bacon.jpg (289 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
Undercooked_Bacon.jpg
289 KB, 970x546
>>46369278
>I will lay you low, Evil doers!

All I can imagine is some anti-plane Don Quixote.

Back on topic though, my AD&D group found a set of five colored magical rings with minor effects on them and we doled them out one to each party member. I can't remember them all, but they went something like..
>Green
Changes the sex of, and swaps a few of the physical stats (Plus Charisma) of the character around.
>Orange
Allows the wearer to "store" people inside of them. Haven't needed to smuggle anyone anywhere yet, so we don't quite know exactly how this one works.
>Blue and Yellow
I don't fucking remember because we never use them and the important one is..
>Red
Cloaks the user and creates an illusion of a pig to replace them until twelve hours after the ring has been removed. Those under the effect can only communicate via pig noises while under it's effects. Note: This is not a polymorph.

Our big fighter picked this one up and we had figured it would probably be the most useless of the lot, but has since become infamous. Or really the pig has. Used for distractions, getting away from guards, quieting annoying party members (at least from speaking in common), smuggling people when we should have been using the Orange ring and the one time it was accidentally used to start a war with a vastly superior force.

It has been used to such excess, that The Dread Pig of Southport is a rapidly spreading myth.
>>
>>46367002
GM threw a treasure room at us, and because he was feeling vindictive the entire wall was:
A) Lined entirely with wands, whereas none of us were casters or characters of any sort that could use wands
B) Lined entirely with CURSED wands, which inflicted a negative level (no save) every time you touched them

So after one of our party members died stupidly, we did the logical thing and retrieved each and every magic stick with a pair of tongs, and proceeded to use them for damn-near everything. We rigged backpacks with these things as traps, we tossed them at enemies, we scattered them across the ground mid-battle, any use we could think of for these little death sticks.

A similar thing happened later with a Reverse Gravity trap, which the rogue pinpointed the effect down to a single rune-encrusted stone tablet. He carried it around and activated the "trap" whenever we had a problem that could be solved by walking across the ceiling. Was pretty baller.
>>
>>46369535
You can't just say that and not give us a storytime anon
>>
>>46369365
That's not what a truly immovable
*CLANG*
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
>>
Vampiric Dimension Cloak. Red cloak, spill some blood on it, turns inner surface into a portable hole. Was an easy way for the wizars to bug out if something got in his face. We also used it for robbery shenanigans. It was also really strong because we got this at level 2 since it was a "defective" magical device from the mage college.
>>
>>46369278
Actually, breaking the laws of gravity is okay.
I said nothing about the sandals or featherfall or the winged shield or whatever.
It's just that if you don't get damaged since you don't hit the floor as hard, you don't cause damage to the floor (or whatever you landed on).
Newton's third law:
>When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.
If the boss gets hit for 5d6 damage each, so do the monk / barb.
If they don't, he doesn't.
>>
>>46369802
That's not how (D&D) physics works, you twat.

If the boss gets hit by a barbarian with 1d12+512 damage from a charge attack with a battleaxe by him swinging the blade at the boss, neither the battleaxe nor the barbarian takes 1d12+512 damage in return.

There is obviously external force applied to the barbarian, but the barbarian can be considered to be capable of spreading out such force through his body in an equal measure and thus not have his body permanently deformed by the impact, unlike the boss who has had that amount of force applied to a narrow area in his neck.
>>
>>46369601
>A similar thing happened later with a Reverse Gravity trap, which the rogue pinpointed the effect down to a single rune-encrusted stone tablet. He carried it around and activated the "trap" whenever we had a problem that could be solved by walking across the ceiling. Was pretty baller.

Noice.
I'd have used it like a magical claymore. Sure it's just a repulsive effect instead of a wall of jagged metal, but anyone who's played some of the star wars games with a good friend knows how FUCKING ANNOYING force push can be.
Those runes are really the dwarven words for "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY" and you can't convince me otherwise.
>>
>>46369643
Nah it could work. He activates the rod, pretending to throw excalibur at them, and anyone who can resist its strike is clearly worthy of whatever power they get.

Works best if you're good friends with an astronomer so you know which direction it'll go.
>>
Ring of Unbalancing. Was originally used to do some puzzles, eventually discovered you could use it to trip opponents.

Eventually we realised that it could unbalance ANY balanced system. We used it to unbalance Life and Death when we needed a deity to talk to.
>>
>>46369926
An axe is different matter since the damage is from the cutting edge as well as the collision.
In the case of a falling "object", they both suffer from the collision. What you're saying might be relevant if the barbarian was falling sword-first into the boss (but anon specifically mentioned the monk and "in addition to attacks").

If the monk is weightless, he literally exerts no downwards force that would cause any falling / collision damage to the boss. Similarly, I'd expect a winged shield to act as a parachute, not as a falling-damage-only-armor.
>>
>>46370077
>An axe is different matter since the damage is from the cutting edge as well as the collision.
If this is an attack then the barbarian will either be using his axe, or he'll be kicking the guy in the face.

In either case the barbarian, prepared for the blow, can spread the force through his body and therefore significantly preventing damage to himself.

The guy being attacked doesn't have that luxury.
>>
>>46369998
As kickass as the Skeleton Key.
>>
>>46370143
You're missing the point.
I'm not saying that the barbarian is not entitled to an attack or that if he was falling normally he'd necessarily take the same damage as the bonus he gets (i.e. take 5d6 damage and deal 5d6 damage).
I'm saying that without the magic items he'd be taking X damage from falling and getting a bonus Y. It's not that the magical shield / sandals are suddenly making him realize "oh I can prevent the ouchies by holding my body in this position as I fall on the dude's head". Since he's falling SLOWLY, he's not taking X damage, and thus should not cause Y damage to the boss.
>>
>>46370143
>>46370219
Also, I just realized he said he didn't care about the falling damage and not that he wasn't taking it. I retract most of my previous comments.

But the monk dealing full falling damage but ignoring the first 30 feet to himself is still bullshit.
>>
>>46370237
Fair enough, glad you understood about the barbarian! You're right about the monk entirely, f course.
>>
>>46369535
Most of those sound like magical realm stuff, especially the green one, the orange one too if you store them by swallowing them whole.

Decanter of endless water is the best object I've gotten. That combined with a flaming object kick started the industrial revolution in setting and caused quite a lot of steam powered machines to pop up. Not the least of which was our infinite Delta-V rocket for spelljamming.
>>
File: 1449626623620.gif (669 KB, 796x450) Image search: [Google]
1449626623620.gif
669 KB, 796x450
>>46370676
Forgot image
>>
File: handshake[1].jpg (2 MB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
handshake[1].jpg
2 MB, 2400x1600
>>46370397
Glad we could settle this like elegan/tg/entlemen.
>>
Skub.
>>
>>46370676
>>46370694
reminds me of when I obsessed with using a decanter, a water to wine spell (can change in any kind of alcohol incliding moonshine) and a spark cantrip to turn our troll into iron man.
Then the pathfinder general politely reminded me that even if it's less cool, the decanter alone is enough to lift the troll.
>>
A rock that constantly emitted daylight.

Stuck it in a sphere with a shit load of mirrors inside of it to focus it down to fine point and used it as a sunlight laser to kill everything.
>>
>>46370857
that is not how lasers nor spheres work
>>
>>46367002
Well magic tattoos of the Chinese zodiacs (yes Jackie Chan and his cartoon show the way).

Each conferring a spell-ability or minor power depending on the depiction.

Monkey - 4 times per day cure wounds on your self and you can shift your fists to claws at will altering their damage type to slashing or piercing.

Rabbit - 10 + to land movement speed +5 ft jump height/distance

Bull - +2 to STR and treated as one category larger for carry rules.

Etc.
>>
Immovable rods.

Killing a charging giant and/or masterbation.
>>
>>46370676
My party has a sack of endless sand, we have yet to use it for anything clever though, I should definitely change that.
>>
>>46370761
You get the fuck out of here you filthy skub-junkie! Skub destroyed my family!
>>
>>46369643
I understood that reference.
>>
>>46372200
>>46370820
>>46370676
If my DM gave me any gizmo of infinite whatever, you can be sure we would be playing a rehash of the tale of an industrious rogue before the other players would realize it.
>>
>>46367002
I'm no longer allowed to have anything that generates fire or electricity. Starting the magitech industrial revolution is not an acceptable character sidequest. My character does not have the ability to use magical items to develop magnetic accelerators, fusion engines, or other technologies that make the vein in the GM's head pop out. He does not understand aeronautics or advanced engineering concepts. This is true regardless of my character's INT or background.

I really wish I was in some bastardized combination of Eberron and Spelljammer where my hijinks would be appreciated.
>>
Orb of the Sun
Causes a blinding light as if you've stared directly into the heart of the sun within 30 feet for 3 seconds. Outside 30 feet the light doesn't actually light anything up but people staring at the orb will see something similar to that of a setting sun. The holder of the orb will see nothing but feel a gentle warmth eminate from the orb. Counts as a swift action.

Lore stated some sun cult had a few and believed they were the eggs of their goddess the sun.

Dm gave it to us in a pitch black dungeon where i was the front man but had to be led blind while my team could only see the immediate surroundings each flash and all the monsters got to see the occasion bright but small but mildly painful to look at flash to locate us. Dm admitted later that he thought we'd chuck it afterwards or pawn it.
We actually just went around flashing people permanently blind by activating it in their face or insanely close proximity. Whoever had the orb would just yell "FLASH!" And we'd close our eyes and blam, instant blind person. Even threw the bitch a few times to concuss and blind people and once did a tactical sweep and clear with it as the flashbang. The fucking BBEG invented sunglasses just to fuck us over.
>>
>>46372328
>The fucking BBEG invented sunglasses just to fuck us over
Ahahahahahahah.
>>
>>46367002
Bag of Holding
We actually managed to suffocate and kill a large pack of goblins by stuffing them into the bag
>>
>>46372248
It's an older meme, sir, but it checks out
>>
File: 1374353707822.gif (1 MB, 296x225) Image search: [Google]
1374353707822.gif
1 MB, 296x225
>>46368610
>pic related
>>
>>46372253
I hope you all understand that not only it's important that it's infinite, but also the output is important? For us dams are essentially sources of infinite energy, yet we couldn't build our civilization having just one dam on some local rivelet. Decanter of endless water won't kickstart your world into XIX century. New methods of connecting rivets might be more helpful in this regard.
>>
>>46372328
I assume the 'heart of the sun' bit wasn't literal, because I think that is MUCH brighter than you maybe think it is.
>>
>>46367002
I got a magic ghost knife that I could float around with my mind once, that was neat.

Didn't get to do much cool stuff with it though since that campaign never really got off the ground.
>>
>>46373006
If you read the tale of an industrious rogue, the operation begins with infinite salt but they do not stop here.
Any infinite gizmo will gives doesn't kickstart the world into the XIX century by itself but the kind of players at my table will certainly get a lot of devices to run on it and then use their newfound power/money to find and acquire more wondrous items until we all live in a moving city powered by a big bound demon or something.
>>
>>46373125
There's always a question, why nobody ever did it before? Were there no stupidly wealthy artifact collectors before? People generally love free energy and will use any form of it laying around.
>>
>>46373185
Because tit's usually easier to put the kind of enchantment that's on the decanter directly on what's needed than to assemble wondrous items in a mumbo jumbo of gears and pipes.
But I'm usually fair play on the DM and I don't use wondrous item crafting much despite my ambitions. But I'm still gonna combine all the magic Items I can get my hands on.
>>
>>46373337
This is probably the thing that breaks immersion for me the most. D&D, with all those magical bullshits, should quickly become spelljammer
>>
>>46373391
I can't blame you, I play pathfinder mainly for the ridiculous devellopment with a group used to /tg/. That would probably be a red flag for most players but we know exactly what we're in for.
>>
>>46373032
Its bright enough to blind people permanently in the 30ft radius, except the holder, who look directly at it hence why we kept shoving it in shits face.
>>
>>46370077
Weight=/=mass

It still doesn't make sense from a physical standpoint though
>>
>>46373391
It should. This is mostly a setting imperative. People mostly want to play in a Sword and Sorcery setting with peasants, ruins, dungeons filled with traps and loot, small village and the occasional mage breaking things. They don't want to play a setting that is too alien, too strange, or too high fantasy.

Eberron is a setting that takes the rules of any D&D world seriously, and yes, that means it has flying ships, elemental powered trains, flowing waters powered by elementals, standard issued magical wand to armies and polices, and plenty of other things.
>>
File: reynolds-eberron-02.jpg (103 KB, 992x354) Image search: [Google]
reynolds-eberron-02.jpg
103 KB, 992x354
>>46374732
It should be noted though that a lot of settings are being more and more inspired by Eberron. Golarion, by instance, the official setting of Pathfinder, can get ridiculously high fantasy and magitek really, really quickly. Can't blame them.

The other path chosen by the Forgotten Realm for 4E is to become even more Sword and Sorcery, to the point where there is nothing but peasants, ruins, and villages.
>>
File: wrath of the clang.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wrath of the clang.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>46369643
/egg/?
>>
>>46375297
No, it's an old meme. Probably what inspired CLANG, though.

antbot was a mistake
>>
>>46378030
CLANG!
Predates Space Engineers, I think.
>>
>>46373391
yeah that's why all the gods in my D&D settings are terrible and old and mysterious, and ~mostly~ uninvolved.

They're basically reality referees that only step in when some mortal or demigod gets uppity enough to try and actually change the setting in a significant way, like infinite energy machines and whatnot
>>
>>46373391
>D&D, with all those magical bullshits, should quickly become spelljammer

And it surely does. The game simply gives the party the courtesy of setting the adventure just before this kind of thing takes off, so they can have a hand in it.
>>
>>46374856
>Golarion, by instance, the official setting of Pathfinder, can get ridiculously high fantasy and magitek really, really quickly

That's just because it's a huge "everything but the kitchen sink" setting. It has a whole country that's literally just Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
>>
>>46369643
No, no, it is a Truly Immovable Rod. His game just takes place in a fantasy world with geocentric, Aristotelian cosmology.
>>
>>46370895
It's also not how mirrors work, so he's 0 for 3.
>>
>>46385036
But it should happen very, very fast.
>>
>>46387706
To be fair, magic items in D&D are really expensive.
>>
>>46367002
A boring one but one the more nicer things marshals get in 3.PF
>ring of sustenance.
>don't need to eat or drink
>rest for two hours
> casters can't use it.
>>
File: 1331849063793.jpg (191 KB, 538x584) Image search: [Google]
1331849063793.jpg
191 KB, 538x584
I think the most useful magical item I ever received was a set of Skald's Armour, in 4th ed. It had a once per encounter(or was it day?) effect of causing an enemy's attack to instead target another target within range. Kind of caused it to skip off and hit someone else. It was dang useful.

The most creative way I used it was probably when I went sliding down an angled slope into a pit of corpses swarming with a pair of carrion crawlers, with a Hill Giant standing above me. I intentionally provoked an attack of opportunity from one of the crawlers and the Hill Giant, just to cause the Hill Giant to try and smack me. So I declared I'd use my Skald's Armour on the Hill Giant's AoO, and I went sliding madly down a sloped stone pit into a pile of corpses. On the way by, I provoked two AoO, one from the HG, one from the CC, and the CC missed, and the HG was in range to hit the CC. So he belted it a rather impressive blow, I was sorta positioned for flanking next round, and now the CC was engaging the HG too.

I was a dick bard.
>>
>>46389423
>I was a dick bard.

Is there any other type of bard?
>>
>>46367002
I got a gun that caused the nauseated condition. Used it on a horde of Dread Ghost once, got them to stall their charge long enough to be able to get the tank magicked up and counter-charge.
>>
We got a Magic Pocketwatch. It let us change the past in insignificant ways.
>whoops we forgot rope
>pocketwatch
>no we didn't
>>
File: Immovable Rod.jpg (383 KB, 695x2204) Image search: [Google]
Immovable Rod.jpg
383 KB, 695x2204
Immovable Rod.
I always endeavour to have at least one on me at all times.

I've pinned a dragon whilst we pilfered it's horde.
Anchored a ship.
Killed a Drow hunting party.
Shattered a Giant's shin.
Forced the most feared Pirate Captain in the sea to the negotiation table.
Killed said Pirate Captain.
Held numerous individuals captive.
Cheated in a dual.
And used it to climb up things a few hundred.

It's also been used on me to keep me held captive a few times.
>>
Is an Immovable Rod indestructible? Wouldn't it get worn away as it crashed through everything?
>>
>>46392814
If it's truly Immovable, even its atoms will stay in place.
>>
File: Ruby Ring of Ruin.jpg (27 KB, 850x520) Image search: [Google]
Ruby Ring of Ruin.jpg
27 KB, 850x520
A few times now in separate, unrelated campaigns in PF our DM has given us a ring, pendant or some other small gold artefact with a ruby or red opal embedded in it that 'glows with an internal flame'.
It's can cast a weak fireball spell just a few metres once every hour or so that'll, maybe, stun it's victim for a round.
We tend to get it early as just a little extra surprise in case we are out-matched and it generally has a good sale price also.
We have actually gotten a lot of use from it from starting fires, escaping tough opponents, adding just a bit of extra fire power in a fight and twice now when I've played a Pyromaniacal mage it's been a good tie-in to my role.
One of my Fire Mages experimented with what was a ruby ring at that point and ended up breaking it to get to the fire inside it and that ended up giving her a bit of an extra push for all her fire spells.

We are beginning to suspect our campaigns take place in a shared world and all these fire gems are part of a set. We're actually looking into the history of the Opal we have right now, mostly to find if the gems were made or came from somewhere that we could steal more from.
>>
>>46392814
Don't DnD planets sit exactly where they are, unmoving, thus totally avoiding such a situation?

Anyway, the Rods from the setting I'm playing in act exactly as they are intended to by the authors and they remain immobile in relation to the world it's on rather then it's specific location in time and space right down to the quantum thread.
>>
Not for me, but one of my players.
>plays monk of the 4 elements
>picks shape the flowing river because we started near a port town
>some utility
>randomly roll decanter of endless water for treasure
>okay, I'll let him have it
>suddenly he has one of the best crowd control abilities ever

To be fair, it's one of the few things he's good at.
>>
>>46367160
did you have to cut it daily to keep it from getting to long? Did you just leave massive lengths of rope like a breadcrumb trail?
>>
>>46367002
Most useful would be the ring of regeneration that healed me for 5 hp every round but my favorite will always be the ring of sustenance because holy shit you mean I only have to sleep for 2 hours?
>>
>>46393335
Mae Hines
>>
>>46393221
No, there's definitely no blanket statement of "D&D worlds are assumed to not be planets but rather flat planes resting on the backs of infinite turtles" or whatever.
>>
>>46393374
>The turtle moves!
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.