[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pic unrelated but my group is trying to find dnd miniatures anybody
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11
File: images (42).jpg (9 KB, 265x190) Image search: [Google]
images (42).jpg
9 KB, 265x190
Pic unrelated but my group is trying to find dnd miniatures anybody please help.
>>
Did you try looking at the attic? When I can't find something it's usually stashed there.
>>
Behind the couch?
>>
>>46359144
Gg but to purchase
>>
File: monopoly_cover.jpg (627 KB, 2514x1698) Image search: [Google]
monopoly_cover.jpg
627 KB, 2514x1698
Time to crack open the old monopoly box. Who gets to play the tophat?
>>
>>46359160
I worded it wrong rub it in.
>>
>>46359120
Reaper has a TON of minis for this purpose, check them out.
>>
File: reaper-bones.png (2 MB, 1599x823) Image search: [Google]
reaper-bones.png
2 MB, 1599x823
>>46359195
Reaper Bones. They do Kickstarters with a lot of good value miniatures, or you can buy them individually. Still cheap.

If you want pre-painted, buy D&D/Wizards of the Coast/WizKids singles. It works out cheaper than buying blind boxes.

Ghetto solutions are printing out monster artwork onto card and propping them up as stands, or using coloured counters with numbers/letters written on them.
>>
How much longer until 3d printers are cheap/good enough to print our own fucking minis already?
>>
>>46359469
Go look up RepRap. Build your own 3D printer that can print its own 3D printer.

Then go to The Pirate Bay and download Warhammer minis. Print and sell them on the cheap.
>>
>>46359548
What kind of resolution are these things capable of? I know next to nothing about 3d printers, but I recall a few years ago, resolution was still a significant barrier to 28mm scale minis.
>>
File: Picture_WGF-FG006a.jpg (133 KB, 308x445) Image search: [Google]
Picture_WGF-FG006a.jpg
133 KB, 308x445
>>46359120
I mix loads of different models up, as long as they're all in the same scale - 28mm usually.

D&D official minis are lower quality than even amateur paintjobs, but are at least made of non-breakable soft rubber, and are colourful out of the box, they are however quite overpriced for what they are.

I bought a box of 30-odd grey on sprue 28mm Might of Rome Numidian Skirmishers off Amazon for like £14.

They come with multiple different heads and posed bodies in tunics, and have swords, javelins shields, helmets, slings and bows, so they're a nice versatile kit for generic Sword and Sandles human mooks if you can be asked to paint and assemble them.
>>
>>46359195
Reaper. If you just need humans, look into Frostgrave. Even if you don't care for the game the minis are alright.

>>46359469
Now. You can build one around $200, printing cost is like $1 to $1.50 for 28mm infantry sized model.

>>46359639
0.2mm for domestic use 0.1mm for industrial (more expensive, you generally don't own one yourself, you have buddy who has access to one).

There is two problems with 3d printing still: printed stuff is fragile, if you drop it even small height, it will shatter. There's workarounds but each makes the resulting mini more expensive.
Second problem there isn't that many templates (data models) available - you can print couple terrain pieces and couple monopose miniatures, but the variability is nowhere near multipart sprues.
>>
File: AIR01720a.jpg (28 KB, 618x193) Image search: [Google]
AIR01720a.jpg
28 KB, 618x193
>>46359718
>I mix loads of different models up, as long as they're all in the same scale - 28mm usually.

You could even mix up scales. Gary Gygax used 1:72 Airfix Robin Hood figures as hobbits/halflings.

Who's that company, I think Russian, who make lots of cheap fantasy box sets? A bit like Airfix except it's dwarves, elves, goblins, etc. Not sure what scale they are.
>>
>>46359469
They've been "okay" for a while now, but you don't get very good quality right out of the printer, and they take a long time. Heroforge does a lot of finishing on their minis after the printing, at least on the higher-tier materials.
>>
File: es_c.jpg (121 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
es_c.jpg
121 KB, 1000x667
>>46359905
Good idea on the scaled down men for hobbits.

Is the company you speak of Russian Alternative?

I'm not so fond of their style, I like Warhammer Fantasy, but I tend to play more Bronze-Age and weird fantasy stuff.
>>
>>46360016
To clarify; I imply that the style of RA's miniatures is clearly deeply influenced by the late Whfb, as I believe is evident from dem elves.
>>
>>46360016
>Is the company you speak of Russian Alternative?

I don't think so.

It was a small wargaming company like Caesar Miniatures that did boxed sets of maybe a dozen dwarves, orcs, whatever. I remember there being some awkward English on the boxes, but not much else.
>>
>>46360226
Sounds groovy.

I've never heard of the like though.

As an aside;
I can't be the only one who uses kids party grab bags of rubber dinosaurs instead of buying "proper" dinosaur minis.
>>
File: 101.jpg (573 KB, 1333x1999) Image search: [Google]
101.jpg
573 KB, 1333x1999
>>46360353
Come to think of it, I'm probably thinking of Caesar Miniatures.

>Dwarf's axes are ready !!

Speaking of kids' dinosaur toys:

http://diterlizzi.com/home/owlbears-rust-monsters-and-bulettes-oh-my/
>>
>>46360453
Nice Dorfs.

I recall reading that very article some time ago, it was most likely where I got the idea.

One thing I don't have much of is Pewter, It seems like a worse medium for detail than resin or certain plastics, though I do like the weight.

I use pennies as bases on plastics, it keeps them upright.
>>
File: 7WP19zR[1].jpg (136 KB, 695x485) Image search: [Google]
7WP19zR[1].jpg
136 KB, 695x485
>>46359548
Dang it senpai, thanks for sharing the info, now I have a summer project. Which version would you recommend me? I plan it on using for both miniatures and architecture stuff and models.

This is something I've been doing personally, just small miniatures for GURPS with a character's silhouette. This would be cut in a laser cutter, but school is kicking my ass and I haven't found the time to give it a shot and test if it actually works.
>>
You can have mine for 5 million dollars.
>>
File: untitled (2).png (3 MB, 2608x856) Image search: [Google]
untitled (2).png
3 MB, 2608x856
>>46360770
>The Box arrives
>It is opened
>A spooky voice whispers
thin your paints
>>
>>46360770
How would you feel if someone incredibly rich actually gave you five million dollars as a joke and this was the luckiest day of your life?
>>
>>46360876
Happy? I guess that's how people feel about unexpected (financial) gains, right?
>>
>>46360940
What would you do with the money?

Have you heard of the hedonic treadmill? (Google it if you haven't.)
>>
>>46361010
If I'm going to be just as happy in the end I'd rather be just as happy with 5 million dollars
>>
>>46361095
How do you know you'd be happy in the end?

You buy lots of stuff, it makes you initially happy, but how long will that last? You'd get used to it and go back to exactly how you were.
>>
>>46361199
The trick to staying rich is not immediately buying a tropical island.

If you can restrain your lifestyle you can live comfortably off passive income and never have to work another day in your life.

That essentially means you have all the free time in the world to earn more money however you wish, which you can then spend on luxuries above your basic lifestyle as you please.

Man, money solves everything if you're not stupid.

And the more money you have the easier it is to make money.
>>
>>46361272
But what if you end up WORSE as a result of that five million dollars?

Money really doesn't make you happy in the long-term. Neither does staying rich.

Yes it can solve a lot of problems, but that's not always the same as being happy.

In fact happiness is largely determined by your genetics, circumstances account for something like 10%.

Make good friends and keep them. Don't sell your minis for five million dollars. You'll have more fun playing with them.
>>
>>46361199
You don't, but if you invest in yourself properly you might give yourself something you consider more fulfilling to do that you previously did.

I mean the choice isn't really any different than asking for a promotion at work or not, or from getting out of fucking bed
>>
>>46361332

I can tell you free that being poor is worse than being rich, for reasons largely involving personal opportunities, available resources, and social influence.

You don't need to be told this, of course, and you're being a stubborn bugger because you like to argue.

You tyke.
>>
>>46361425
Being poor DOES affect happiness, but only below a certain point. There was some study I can't be bothered to find, but basically richer countries weren't happier than poorer countries some level above the poverty line.

Plenty of poor people are happy. You don't really need a penthouse to play tabletop games, and playing tabletop games is the happiest thing you can do.

You can eat and sleep and game, you don't need five million dollars.
>>
>>46359120
In my current group we use trinkets and inane objects for our characters. Our Rogue is a Keyring, our Warlock a Battery and our Fighter a Seashell.

For the enemies I use little indoor bowling pins with numbered labels on them, which each correspond to mook details on a notepad.

>>46359213
This is a good idea. I'm totally copying it.
>>
>>46361010
Dude fuck off.
>>
>>46361010
Buy couple small to medium flats spending about 3mil. Move to one of them, give one to my brother, rent the rest. Money from rent should cover life expenses from now on. Quit job, get back to college for PhD.
Leave 1 mil aside as a backup.
Invest 1 mil into... something, I will yet have to figure out details.
Plus couple gifts for friends and stuff.

Oh and pay ShindoL to make Kingdom Death doujin, extra lewd and, no matter how much it goes against the setting, with happy ending

>>46361010
>hedonic treadmill
Heard of the principle, just not under that name. sounds legit, you get used to things and there's little difference whether they're nice or nasty.
>>
>>46361332
That's a pretty fucking pathetic attitude senpai, but completely abandoning the personal happiness argument there are tons of reasons money could improve a life such as providing for a family, funding training/education or just in case of any sort of accident or emergency that would otherwise wreck you

Just because it wont completely make up for a lack of purpose in someone doesn't mean it isn't incredibly useful
>>
>>46361497
We just use slips of paper with character names.
>>
>>46361495
More resources: optimal lifestyle.

If I were a squillionaire I could have all the rubber dinosaurs I could ever ask for.

This would make me an objectively happier man.

You see, money is rubber dinosaurs, and rubber dinosaurs are happiness.
>>
>>46361495
Well isn't that convenient for someone without 5 million dollars to believe
>>
>>46361566
I would have done that, but I somehow ended up with a box of indoor bowling pins in my possession so I figured I should use them for something other than indoor bowling.
>>
>>46361586
It's not hard to imagine someone with five million dollars getting used to it and being miserable.

Say you were already unhappy, what stuff would you buy to keep making yourself happy? It goes away after a while.
>>
>>46361637
A radical lifestyle change.

People without resources have no options to change their lives up.

They are trapped in a way the well disposed are not.

When you're rich you can up sticks and move to Cambodia on a whim if city life starts to grind your gears.

Is being rich a fool-proof road to contentment? Nobody is saying that.

Is it objectively better to live with plentiful personal resources and never fear deprivation?

Every.

Funking.

Time
>>
>>46361609
Play dnd and bowl at same time that's pretty good.
>>
>>46361519
>ShindoL
>Happy Ending
I think you'll have to pay him more than 1 million to get ShindoL to do a happy ending.
>>
>>46362721
It happened before.
>>
>>46362941
Does TSFM count?
>>
>>46361010
not that guy but i'd pay off my parents debts and set up a fund for them...I worry about them mang...the world never prepared me for that.
>>
>>46363200
Of course!
>>
Clay and paint my man.
>>
File: 4242s.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
4242s.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>46359469
Enjoy your shitty pieces of crap, while even the chinese recasters laugh at you.
>>
>>46359120
Our group found some by going around old shops that reselled old kid toys.

or for soemthing really cheap this
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Planet-Anime-Mini-figures-3-5cm-10-Style-200pcs-lot-Free-Shipping/1718233942.html
>>
>>46359120
I make my own by printing them off to be cut up and folded to stand up.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.