[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder house-rules and tweaking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
Fellow fa/tg/uys, I was planning to start a Pathfinder campaign sooner rather than later, my second one DMing that system actually. So this time, I'd like to try and tweak the system so to make it more fun. Some problems I've encountered are:

>Maneuvers. You need to expend shitloads of feats for only a handful of them not to cause an attack of opportunity, that would most likely make the maneuver useless. This was frustrating, as it took flexibility from melee characters.
>Feats in general. Some feats were plainly better than others. Everyone in my group took Dodge, for example. I don't like at all these universally useful feats, as I feel each playstyle should imply having a different set of feats, and not just picking "the best ones".

So, I've thought I could:

>Regarding maneuvers, either only provoke an attack of opportunity if the maneuver fails on the first place, or get rid of those completely.
>Banning those universally useful feats. Dodge is the only one that comes to mind, but I'm pretty sure you know many more than I do.
>Also I'm thinking about using the Vitality/Wounds split, but I've noticed while playing Fantasy Craft that this makes crits less satisfactory. Any advice on that?

What's your opinion, /tg/? What would you tweak to fix these problems? What kind of houserules you usually apply? Also, do Pathfinder Unchained and the Advanced Class Guide provide any fun content? Any advice you may have is deeply appreciated.

Inb4 caster supremacy. I plant to address that compensating with magical objects
>>
>>46349744
>Everyone in my group took Dodge, for example. I don't like at all these universally useful feats, as I feel each playstyle should imply having a different set of feats, and not just picking "the best ones".
How to spot the troll thread: 101
>>
>>46349744
I run with a bunch of houserules. Take a look if you want.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rQYn_UsV27usXR2YoyECO-C-3FGF_h2afIO02B4gKgo/edit
Just ignore the firearms stuff at the bottom....I am aware it is retarded but my group enjoy it and we are already using it now....
>>
>>46349744
>Opportunity attacks:
Unless the potential attacker is in a defensive stance, have them roll for reflex to be able to make an attack of opportunity.
If it wasn't the case already (my pathfinder is a little bit rusty), limit how many they can take (taking two attack of opportunity should leave you completely exposed and not being able to do anything well during one's own turn, unless you have some crazy feats).
Either that or make the opportunity attack roll harder (because of the moving target and the reaction time).

>feats
Just make those feat have stat or feat requirement.
Dodge should require a certain amount of Dex.
Combat reflexes can't be taken at level (starting level + 2)
Shit like that.
>>
>>46349744
My favorite houserule would be Fantasy Craft, but you mentioning it implies that you are aware of it, but do not want to apply it for some reason.
>>
>>46349794
It is very plausible that OPs group consists of people who do not understand the system.
And who can blame them, really?
>>
>>46349744
>Fantasy Craft
>Makes crits less satisfactory

Crits on subdual damage and stress damage Stun for 1d6 rounds.

Crits on lethal go directly to Wounds, meaning you can instantly kill them, or alternatively cause a critical injury.
>>
>>46349744
Why would you go BACK to Pathfinder after you've played other games?

And then immediately come asking for help balancing it?
>>
>>46349794
Have we reached the point we can't have legitimate doubts without being trolls? It's as >>46350240, as it was everyone's first time playing it, but apparently +1 to AC seemed like an obvious, useful choice regardless of class.

>>46350199
That reason would me a massive lack of content. I prefer how it works, compared to PF, but it has nowhere the amount of classes, archetypes, enemies, and particularly, spells that PF has.

That and while feats as 'weapon styles' is definitely cool, it kinda locks you on a certain weapon if you want to be effective at melee. But it's really more the lack of content.

>>46350823
I already know how crits work on Fantasy Craft. The stun is pretty nice, but it's the fact that you need to spend a limited resource on something that will either kill a mob instantly, or do nothing until you spend 2 or 3 die that makes me have doubts about it. Specially, if it'd work on PF

But I'll give you a thing: Making a character focused on crits is damn cool.

>>46350839
This shit. This shit right here is cancer. I've not once mentioned "balance", so why mention it?
What I want is to make it more fun for my players, balance I can always tweak mid-game if I need it, and hell, I don't really care if a rogue can take a wizard on a white room situation. Everyone knows PF is unbalanced, and really, I don't care: I just want my players to have fun.

But again, on the topic of FantasyCraft, I've never claimed it's worse than PF. I've had my share of fun homebrewing classes and spell, but sometime I feel in the mood of choosing from already created content.

>>46349874

While I think disallowing melee classes entirely kills part of the fun, some other houserules look rather nice, as maneuvers and skills. And also you mention some books I didn't know, so thank you!

>>46349957
Extra requirements for feats seem actually like a good idea, specially considering those I want to limit are those that will be widely picked.
>>
>>46351433
>While I think disallowing melee classes entirely kills part of the fun, some other houserules look rather nice, as maneuvers and skills. And also you mention some books I didn't know, so thank you!
Yeah, take a look at Path of War and you will see why I banned Fighter and the like. IT isn't due to some attempt to ban Martials, it is more to point out that I am running on the assumptions Path of War gives with the actual abilities of martials. A few in my group complained when I did this, but once they actually gave it a try, adore PoW.
>>
>>46351433
I would much rather take the most basic content created by people who have taken the time to dissect, understand and reassemble the system than the mountains of crap shat out by a bunch of people who have an at best nebulous understanding of the game they copied.
But that's your call.

PF also likes to lock you into a certain weapon not too far down the line.
If you're going to houserule PF, might as well houserule FC to allow for quick retraining between weapon styles.
>>
Make Weapon Finesse a (optional?) property of the weapon, not a feat.

Why should a strong guy be flat out better at using a rapier, say, than a really nimble guy?
>>
>>46349744
Going on the pic as a jumping off point.
For a time I was working on an alternative timeline Final Fantasy IX setting using d20/Pathfinder as a base but just trying to balance out the huge collection of differing races was a headache.
>>
>>46356118
>using d20/Pathfinder as a base
When will people learn that doing this is a bad idea?
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O4qMgmiVEJCWGtJ44WsPzz_OUtrOwexzQ14QZBBB158/edit

Have fun.
>>
>>46356363
Sure I'm not a idiot I know most d20 derivatives are going to be inflexible when doing anything other than standard DnD. But do you know how hard it is to convince a group to play say Savage Worlds?
Nah we like Pathfinder. Blah blah blah
Traveller?... Sci-Fi?... ummmmm... Errrr... etc etc.
>>
>>46356673
>>46356118

What problem did you have exactly, anon? Balancing races ain't that complex in PF last time I tried.
>>
>>46356673
If you're not an idiot, you'd do well not to play with idiots either. It's just going to leave a bitter taste in your mouth that you can't ever wash out.

I have more of a problem convincing a group to play anything at all. And even if I manage to do that, I can't convince them to keep playing because those bumfucks are too lazy to even attempt to schedule a game date.
The sole exception is my Apocalypse World group which is kinda stuck playing AW exclusively, because they would certainly be willing to try anything I might GM for them, but I'd rather not interrupt the campaign of the clearly more competent GM who will only GM AW.

My greatest achievement is definitely getting any d20 groups I've had so far to move away from d20.
>>
>>46356803
Final Fantasy IX.
About 30 or so playable races.
Pathfinder has 6 base stats.

Okay so your cat race can have a dexterity and charisma bonus with a penalty in wisdom, fine so what about your dog race? Strength sure but your lizard race also has a strength bonus so do you want to give them less of a bonus to strength than the lizard? But shouldn't dogs also get a dexterity bonus too? As much as the cats?
Oh here's the bird race so yet another dexterity bonus? But wouldn't that be too many races with dexterity?
Don't get me started on how many would have scent based race abilities.
>>
>>46357082
>you'd do well not to play with idiots either
I don't live in 'merica there aren't many rpg groups who are not all 15 around here.
>>
>>46357135
Neither do I.
The sorry excuses for FLGSs we have around here drop the 'F' part like a hot potato and RPGs are met there with a stern, intense glare of disapproval and not-so-silent indignation because they mean less space for the far more profitable TCG players and war gamers.
Also, any 15 year olds are way too cool for RPGs and busy slurring insults at each other in what passes for a poor mockery of our language filtered through a foreign accent.
>>
>>46357276
About a year ago I was excited to learn that my LGS was doing a special 5thEd campaign night thing.
When I got there I discovered that it was being run in conjunction with all the other gaming groups, the largest being the 40k guys.
So not only could I not hear the DM who was sitting next to me but the only other people that turned up to play where about 13.
I remember that most of the evening was me and the DM kindly asking the little shits not to throw the dice at each other.
Once all the kids were picked up by their parents at like 8 I tried to put forward the idea of a "mature" gaming night or a "18+ gaming group" but the owner kinda just shrugged it off as he knew that the kiddies parents were his main source of revenue.
Which you know he was running a business so fair enough, but I still wish it went differently.
>>
>>46357094
You know, you can always give a +4 to one characteristic, and a -2 to another. Or any other combination that ends up in the character getting a +1.

Or if you get to OP, did Pathfinder have something like a level adjustment, now that I think of it?

Also, it's kind of a bad idea to think -every- animal race should have scent. Like, yes, they probably smell and hear better than humans, and have a worse eyesight, but unless that's so developed it actually provides a massive advantage, such in the case of canines, you shouldn't try to reflect it mechanically.
>>
>>46357569
Yeah, well. RPG groups are not even given the time of the day here. Gaming space here is so limited and precious that merely mentioning "Roll--" gives you the answer "Out."
I once tried getting D&D Encounters set up. The answer was "Unless the players buy 10 packs of cards each session, that's not happening."
>>
>>46357631
I was simply producing a basic example.

I wasn't implying all races should have the same set of 2 +2 and 1 -2, I also read the advance race guide I know about the +4's and -2's plus the race generation rules.

The point I was trying to make is that balancing is difficult when you have so many similar races. Typically when designing a game or setting you would want one/two to be your Int focused one/two to be your Str focused etc etc.

Also you have the issue of do you want say your Ratfolk to be cunning or resilient? Do you want your Lizardfolk to tough or stealthy? Do you want to punish players who generate characters that are opposed to your view of how the race should be played?

I never said every animal should have scent based powers I'm saying that many mammals would "realistically" have them.

In other systems you could move away from the ridge fixed stats and design the races in a way that would make them feel more organic.
>>
>>46357762
I'm assuming board gamers are treated the same way?
It's sad how the CCG industry has basically single-handedly prevented the growth of RPG's and alike here in the UK.
>>
>>46358043
Saying that I remember going into a small gaming shop just outside of Slough in Burnham.
This place I'm not exaggerating was just big enough to fit a single gaming table, and crammed around it were 6 people playing Zonbiecide. This was on a Wednesday at about midday. I'd come in planning to buy a game and some card sleeves but they (the owner included) completely ignored me and continued playing their game, even though I was trying to get their attention.
So perhaps there's other elements at work here in this country.
>>
>>46358269
Zombiecide* hate typing long messages on my phone.
>>
>>46358043
Board games take less time and are still moderately profitable, so they're tolerated when business is slow.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.