[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The reason why tau units are so good in the codex is because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12
File: NJ5G7kp.jpg (190 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
NJ5G7kp.jpg
190 KB, 1920x1080
The reason why tau units are so good in the codex is because they actually know how to invent things and do science, right?

They are actually progressing forward not decaying and worshiping the god of decay by doing so.
>>
>>46344339
Tau units are so good because of competitive balance, or at least and attempt at it. They tend to get their asses handed to them in the fluff.
>>
File: mechanicus.png (366 KB, 522x320) Image search: [Google]
mechanicus.png
366 KB, 522x320
>>46344339
>>46344339
>because they actually know how to invent things and do science, right?
In the defense of the adeptus mechanicus.

Fuck you.
>>
>>46344339

Oh, Emperor...

3.PF "spellcaster balance" logic and justification has crept into 40k at long last. Now terrible, broken balance between factions is being taken as a tabletop representation of fluff, and be used as a justification for why factions "deserve" their competitive power levels on the tabletop.
>>
>>46344339

No. Why do you think Tau sucked ass until 6E and the Riptide. The reason they're good is because GW wants to sell big robots with big guns so they give them MC rules and increasingly ridiculous abilities.

Imagine Imperial Knights but 200-300 points and a GC. That's what Tau are.
>>
>>46344339
>They are actually progressing forward not decaying and worshiping the god of decay by doing so.
>had to abandon Mont'ka and Kauyon and mimic the Imperium's titan robots because their technology and anti-titan flyers weren't good enough

Get cucked. It's only a matter of time before Tau go full Imperial.
>>
>>46344339
To bad they'll be the first to get ripped to sheds when the Nids show up.
>>
File: qt.jpg (94 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
94 KB, 600x800
>>46344455
If GW wanted to milk potential Tau players, why aren't they marketing to the xenophile demographic?

Are they just out of touch with the desires of their depraved fanbase?
>>
File: T1.jpg (77 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
T1.jpg
77 KB, 800x800
>>46344580

That's what third-parties are for.
>>
>>46344477
This would actually be the best direction for them to progress in story wise, they slowly become more and more like the Imperium as their power grows until they basically are the Imperium.

To bad GW will never do this much story development.
>>
>>46344580
If they wanted to milk the market, they would change chaos into monster girls and most of the xenos races.

Chaos, I can understand because its chaos maybe something like imperials with what they did with space marine but that's about tit.
>>
>>46344609
>that's about tit.
>>
>>46344609
>chaos monster girls

so they should actually give Slaanesh models, then. But they won't because they can't offend the soccer moms when they sell murder-crazed genetically modified space barbarians to their children.
>>
File: 1448711175512.png (2 MB, 1537x938) Image search: [Google]
1448711175512.png
2 MB, 1537x938
>>46344378

>They tend to get their asses handed to them in the fluff.

Yeah. those 2 crusades really pushed tau shit in... oh wait.

They did manage to kill aun va in a hail marry at least.
>>
Remember when Tau teamed up with a Dark Eldar Haemonculus Coven to defend against tyranids and it ended with the entire population of one of their solar systems being kidnapped for horrible biological experiments?

Pepperidge farm remembers
>>
File: shadowtsun.jpg (191 KB, 400x721) Image search: [Google]
shadowtsun.jpg
191 KB, 400x721
>>46344595
Not thick enough.
>>
>>46344378
Way I see it they're fine in small scale engagements. Their weaponry is powerful and holds at range.
But they're like, a few dozen planets. They just don't have the material or soldiers to spare that other factions besides Eldar can play around with. Thus they fall in large scale conflicts beyond single planet pacification with a small number of concentrated population centres.

Oh and they're likely to struggle to advance before long. Being locked in eternal conflict isn't great for scientific innovation. They got a boost due to their isolation and a chance to tech up, with outsider support at that.
Mars is still amazing at what it does, which is research, rediscovery and creation of wargear. They do have a problem in that they can't justify spending resources and techpriests on projects that won't directly benefit the Imperium. They'll spend centuries and a full dozen magos refining lasgun optics by a fraction of a percent, but won't take any time whatsoever to build the LHC if you see what I mean.
>>
>>46344679

Looks like its an air cast?
>>
File: 25.jpg (74 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
74 KB, 800x800
>>46344595

Gue'la pls, your primitive eyes may not be able to tell but she is like a 6/10 at best. Do you even cold beauty?
>>
>>46344646
>Slaanesh models
Well..

It's alright considering that its slaanesh and she, he. Um it.

Isn't really something they can get offended by if they are trying to be progressive.
>>
>>46344661

If you actually read those you'd tell the Tau had major plot armor and still barely pull through. Meanwhile the Imperium takes no realistic losses. Even with the RG chapter master dead, Shrike simply replaces him and was more important anyway.
>>
>mfw I main Tau in DoW: Dark Crusade
>mfw motherfucking Kroot are bullshit infantry-raping badasses that only get moreso as they eat
>mfw a full retinue of Kroot with Fire Warriors running support can assfuck just about any infantry army no problem
>think "holy shit, maybe a Kroot army in tabletop would be amazing and nobody realizes this because of how shooty Tau are?"
>they're shit
>Kroot are point-filling garbage that you get because you can't afford another battle suit
Why do you do this to me, DoW? Why do you make units either way better than they are in reality, or way, WAY worse? (Lack of tank-shocking makes most vehicle relics fucking shit against swarms of Orks or IG.)
>>
File: Ancient_alpahabet.png (5 KB, 427x245) Image search: [Google]
Ancient_alpahabet.png
5 KB, 427x245
>>46344711
That writing on the ground.
>>
>>46344715
Maybe so, but if it were true, GW should have already capitalized on it.
>>
>>46344745

Kroot are good on the tabletop as a one-of troop choice. They basically function like 10 man squads of DoW Stealth Suits who die after shooting.
>>
>>46344745
What edition did you play. Because DOW is based on an elder copy of it.
>>
File: 1421693387331.jpg (172 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1421693387331.jpg
172 KB, 600x800
>>46344580
I know it's waifubait, but I really do like that image.
Although more in a "seems cool, I'll invite them for drinks after" kind of way.
>>
>>46344455
>Why do you think Tau sucked ass until 6E and the Riptide
You're a dumb fucking nigger if you don't know what Tau were like in 3rd and 4th edition. Even in 5th they were still a good codex.
>>
>>46344777
This was some time ago, I don't even remember. Maybe 4th?
>>
>>46344661

See, the thing about Tau is that they CANNOT LOSE.

The Tau only have one big colony, and the Imperium does not back down. If they lost, the story would end with the Space Marines killing all the aliens, Shadowsun burnt alive, Logan Grimnar keeping the Dawn Blade as a backscratcher, all the Ethereals crucified.

A story can only end with a hard-fought Tau victory, because - if not - that's the end of the entire faction. It's not like Orks, where you can lose billions of Orks, of Necrons where there's always more.

There's one area that's Tau Space, and that's it. Any more than that, the Tau no longer exist as a faction.
>>
>>46344803

Fish of Fury was soooo based off technology right? And not just retarded parking tactics.

They were also TERRIBLE in 5E if you compare them to actual GOOD 5E armies.

If you think the Taufag hatred of 6E onwards even compares to anything to the online Tau reputation in 5E, you're the dumbest fucking nigger on planet Dumbniggeropolis. You're the goddamn dumb nigger governor of the whole fucking sector.
>>
>>46344803

Tau were even less of a dominant galactic force in 3rd and 4th.
>>
>>46344870
Tau were good for a number of reasons, and they most certainly didn't "suck ass" until 6th. You dumb fucking nigger.

>>46344895
Correct. But the fluff has no bearing on the tabletop.
>>
>>46344669

Oh god, not this again. It's like I'm back in 2010. Soon TIDF will be back.

I thought all the shitposting would stop when 6e hit and all the shitposters decrying Tau for being weak would buy the new cheesy Tau for their competitive lists. And you know what? It did stop, for a while, but now we've come around to the other side, where Tau are too powerful and destroying the meta alongside numerous other broken lists.

But come to think of it, Tau shitposting happened because Tau had Fish of Fury, a list that broke the meta for a while before as well. So I suppose I've seen the cycle as a whole by now: Tau were shitposted because they were weak, shitposted because they were strong, shitposted because they were weak again, and now shitposted because they're strong once more, each time with intervals of relative silence in between as sides switched.

So I suppose it's not the Tau we hate, though it's a factor, it's really the minmaxers who play the Tau, the people who buy "netlist of the month" armies, with unwashed BO and unpainted armies. The That Guy of the wargame world.
>>
>>46344964

The OP is explicitly talking about the fluff. That's why he's talking about inventions and science affecting their rules.

Best 5E armies were Leafblower, Longfang SW, GK, and Necrons. Tau were average at best.
>>
>>46344964

Oh look, someone talking about Tau being weak >>46344998

Outside of FoF, Tau were straight garbage. yeah if you min/maxed your XV8 and Hammerhead build hard enough you could maybe win a couple games against actual good armies, but that doesn't make Tau "a good codex" in 5E
>>
>>46344727
>If you actually read those you'd tell the Tau had major plot armor and still barely pull through.

Actually, the Tau were curbstomping the Imperium and had to resolve to drastic measures.

In both Crusades the Tau defeated the crusades with certainty.

Also calling bullshit on "no realistic losses".

The Imperium lost three Hive Worlds (one of them is important) and a Forgeworld. The Dovar system which is resource and energy rich is mostly in Tau hands.
>>
File: 1454315904327.jpg (46 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1454315904327.jpg
46 KB, 460x345
>>46344681
>Being locked in conflict isn't great for scientific innovation
>>
>>46345012

>Oh look, someone talking about Tau being weak >>46344998

I meant to imply that they were weaker than most lists you'd find, mostly the cheese lists of their edition. Tau themselves were not absolute garbage, but instead ranked among the below-average to average armies, able to pull some pretty symmetrical rations of win/loss against things like Orks and 'Nids, who were not back then the level of garbage they are now.
>>
>>46345012
>being able to compete against broken armies means 5E tau were straight garbage
you've got a fucked up idea of what constitutes a good codex, m8

>>46345002
>Tau were average at best.
Hence why I'm contesting the claims that they were absolute shit. When the absolute lowest point the book has ever been is "average", you don't have much room to complain.
>>
File: Untitled.png (43 KB, 968x346) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
43 KB, 968x346
>>46344964
>>46344803

Literally the first half dozen of searches on google if you set parameters to pre-6E (2012).

Normally I'm the person yelling at people for being dumb niggers, but the difference is, I only do it when I'm right. And even then, it makes me look like a sperg and draws tons of shitposting and morons. For you to be doing so when you're straight up wrong, well...

Not going to quote another dozen sites just to prove you wrong since everyone here already knows you are.
>>
>>46345058
>I meant to imply that they were weaker than most lists you'd find

You meant to imply that by saying they were "a good codex"? Being weaker than most lists means they're fucking terrible, that's kind of the definition of not being good. "Being worse than a lot of things."

Why not just stop posting instead of slipping and sliding and trying to move goalposts?
>>
>>46345067

If multiple armies are broken, and you can't compete with them, you're not a good army, sorry that's how it works.

Look at how many 6E armies are called bad nowadays. Basically anything that can't compete with broken Necrons/C:SM/Eldar/Tau/Knights/etc.

CSM and Orks actually get top 16 spots in GTs and are still called bad. They literally can compete with some skill and luck and are called bad. What's your definition of "good" then?
>>
>>46345067

Nobody's complaining about Tau not being good enough you autistic sperglord.
>>
>>46345107

Obviously, the only definition of "good" is the apex, the peak of the power curve. Everything else is absolute garbage-tier.

I mean, that's the powergamer thinks, anyway.
>>
>even without Taufags, Tau threads are shit

Literal cancer. Just remove Tau from the face of existence.
>>
>>46344681
I completely agree with you. Nothing new was created in either the first or second world war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWNpB4fTRH4
>>
>>46344453
That has been in 40k for almost 8 years, regards to Robin "biological creatures punching through tanks does not make sense" Cruddace nerfing the nids
>>
>>46345148

I really am back in 2010, I'm seeing everything all over again. EVERYTHING. The same arguments, the same shitposts, the same trolls, the same counter arguments, the same rationalizations...

Combinations of words with almost exacting repetition... It's as if time is wrinkling, or has been wrinkled, and is repeating a past event. Or even more strangely, the past event was a reflection of this very future occurrence, or both are reflections of an even more distant future occurrence.

What could this mean? Could the last, final wave of shitposting about 40k have echoed back in time? A psychic scream in the wake of GW's collapse that influenced the very metapsychic memetic structure of the board? Or perhaps it's a cycle that is repeated in perpetuity, a sign that GW will not collapse any time soon, and is instead insidiously perpetuating itself by repeating its past over and over, tearing up yesterday to pave its path to tomorrow, shitposting and all?

This merits further study.
>>
I loved my tau in 4th ed. If you knew how to handle them they were nasty.

But in 5e when every tourney had kill points as part of its missions? No. 5e Tau were more of a kill point factory then IG were. If you took devilfish to do the only viable tactic then you had to make them 120 point warfish unless you wanted a 80 point 2 kill point tank.
>>
>>46345282

No, the Newcrons used their time displacement relic and transported us all into the past.
>>
>>46345282

If we take now as "Centerpoint," then we have a previous period of 6-8 years when "Peak Tau Shitposting" (PTS) was reached. If we move forward by that same amount, we have a projected time period of 2022-24 where we may encounter the peak again, or the event that caused the peak, the "Unknown" in our timeline.

Obviously, as time-travel is out of the question, we'll have to wait and see just what Unknown is to determine the efficacy of this prediction. Perhaps it is simply PTS moving in waves from one peak to another, a waveform of rage, or maybe the rage manifests itself in a sort of "rage attractor," and for some reason Tau fit this role well, becoming a sort of sensor for 40k related rage events as the occur past and future.

>>46345485

So the rage from back then is, in fact, the rage from now displaced backwards in time? An interesting theory, though we could consider it a bit of a causality loop, in which case we're all trapped in here, doomed to repeat the same stretch of years endlessly. Perhaps that's what all the "you're here forever" memes are all about; on some level we understand our imprisonment, but we are only aware of it on a post-ironic meta-meme level.

It is a sad existence then, though I suppose we can rejoice in our roles rather than despair. For if we are doomed to rage eternal then let us rage eternal with fervor and passion!
>>
>>46344803
Tau in 5th was a good codex in the same sense as the current tyranid codex. Ie. only one viable builid that relies on that no hard counters are present.
>>
>>46345625

Nobody considers the current Tyranid codex good though.
>>
>>46345640
>anon almost got the point: the post.
>>
>>46345696

Fight me bitch I have 6 Flyrants.
>>
>>46344998
>Guy mentions amusing fluff piece that fit perfectly into the Tau's naivety of the universe
>Go full blown ass-blasted about Tau's playability on the tabletop
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>46344415
The mechanicus isn't known for their humor.
>>
>>46344681
>... but won't take any time whatsoever to build the LHC if you see what I mean.
Well yeah. In the 40k-verse, the LHC actually WOULD spawn the Warp storm that sent humanity the way of the Eldar.
>>
>>46344681
>LHC
Land Hover Car? Is that the mysterious land raider.
>>
>>46344848
This is exactly the fluff explanation.

>>46345282
Tau haven't changed. Why would you expect people to just be happy with them for no reason?
>>
>>46345050
Research typically advances rapidly in areas that have already been developed (like existing weapons, for example), but typically stagnates or falls in areas that aren't directly related to the war effort because there simply aren't enough resources to devote to that level of research.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.