[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeons & Dragons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
I've been playing and DMing Dungeons & Dragons for a long time.

I have a personal preference for DnD 3.5 and ADND. Some of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of DMing have been in these editions.

I don't care to play 5th edition. I wasn't interested to learn the new rules and buy the new books. Anyone who plays the new rules please tell me what I'm missing.

Share your stories and ask me your questions,
if we get enough people maybe we could play a One Off Campaign together.

Stay a while, and listen.
>>
>>46341694
Main advantage of 5e is that it works. Very little you have to house rule to enjoy a dungeon crawl, so you can just tell your players to show up with a PC or two and you'll be okay.

Wizards and Clerics are still strong AT HIGH LEVELS, but they NEED a party to reach them. New magic rule means they can't stack buffs.

Wish the Magic Fighter and Rogue got more love instead of just pulling stuff from the Wizard's you box.
>>
>>46341781

Yeah, I've found that I've had to institute a couple house rules for DnD 3.5 for very specific instances, such as when someone tried to use Iron Heart Surge in a weird way.

Clerics have always been super strong ever since the beginning... It's because they have the power of the Gods!
>>
>>46341694
It's just simpler. You can't stack too many spells.

Plus, you can throw a pile of orcs at a level 20 party and not Have to adjust the stats
>>
>>46341694
In hindsight I have no idea why I ever made the switch from BECMI to AD&D. The siren call of lots of tables?

Anyhow, I've enjoyed every version of the game to some degree, except for B/X and OD&D, which were a bit before my time.
>>
>>46342183

Simpler doesn't always mean better. I've found that even though Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition) is far more complicated that 3rd edition and beyond, it is a really great system for roleplaying a medieval world in.

I don't mind leveling up my Orc Warriors because then they get new abilities like bullrush and shield bash which they wouldn't normally get. Then I can make a diverse army and squadrons with different expertise fighting styles.

Still, love me a simple game.
>>
>>46342208

Oh wow, you played the original?

I really enjoyed the original when someone bought me the starter set. It marked a pivotal moment when I realized I didn't have to literally write everything and sometimes it's okay to use a module or pieces of a module.

I've enjoyed BECMI, ADND and DnD 3.5 the most.

Tables man! I love tables.

random encounter tables, weather tables, enhancement tables, wild magic surge tables, they are all awesome because even I don't get to know what the players might roll...
>>
Since it's a similar question:
I've read the core rules for 5th edition and it's just nothing I want at all, so I haven't kept up with the system. (And that's fine, relax guys. We can have different tastes.)

What cool things in 5E am I missing? Like, clever classes or feats or things that are new?
>>
>>46342208

The Companion set continues expanding play options, opening things up to 25th level of play.... advanced rules for unarmed combat and tournament events like jousting

whaaat? Jousting rules? Interesting I've never really got to play ADND beyond level 20th so I never got to look at that companion book.
>>
>>46342366
It's the LACK of all that bullshit that is the 'cool thing' where people don't need a shit ton of lame ass miniatures, feats are FEW and POWERFUL instead of some crap assed +1 to this obscure situation, players don't need to min max their 'build' and don't need to twink out at every moment-- AND the rules get the fuck out of the way and rely on the GM to make RULINGS instead on odd situations rather than shitting out their sessions with looking up rules in 15 different books. There's no one way to play, but I feel sorry most for the DM's who aren't able to switch from 3.5 to 5E or 13th Age, those are the poor fuckers that suffer the most.
>>
>>46342445

Yeah, I've got a metric shit ton of lame ass miniatures, and there's even more yet to be painted...

I bought the 4th edition books when 4 was the new cool thing, and yes, the feats were more powerful and even came on power cards that explained what they did. With at-will and encounter spells and dailies and what not. I liked that, but it made my suspension of disbelief somewhat diminished.
>>
>>46342421

I meant BECMI not ADND there...

It sounds like it would be wonderful to play a character up to become a literal god in your pantheon.

ADND has a very special place for me because I managed to play one my very first characters from first level to 20th in the forgotten realms, so I suppose I'm probably looking back on it all with nostalgia glasses.
>>
Thanks for your opinions guys. It's very interesting to hear your thoughts, and ideally a simpler game would allow for easier roleplaying.

I've seen this when I play World of Darkness because the most complicated that game gets is add two numbers together and then roll that many d10s.

The reason why I keep coming to Dungeons and Dragons is for the fantasy. I want to roleplay in a fantasy world.
>>
>>46342445

Also I've never heard of 13th age before. Thanks!

>>46342828

Ofc I'm oversimplifying WoD a bit, but it's just an example. Yes, the roleplaying in WoD is awesome because the rules are simple. So maybe I'll try out the new edition of DnD. I felt somewhat "suckered" in by 4th edition but by golly if it's easier to DM and I can reunite my friends who are now playing pathfinder and such I'd say it's worth a try!

Anyways, Who's down to play some Dungeons & Dragons together?

That is, if we ever get past the step of arguing over which rules to use! I'd prefer DnD 3.5 or ADnD because I know them better than I know others.
>>
>>46341694
I prefer 3.5 too. I don't like adnd cuz it was back in the day where non human races were classes....but 3.5, 3.5 is awesome.

so lets start that one off quest
>>
File: 81jj4Mj1yxL._SY355_.jpg (36 KB, 344x355) Image search: [Google]
81jj4Mj1yxL._SY355_.jpg
36 KB, 344x355
5E light is legally free, so it was pretty cool to just print out some binded rulebooks for all the people who wanted to play. Everything was pretty simple to teach to players new to tabletop RPGs. I also had pick related laying around, so we used them to represent our player characters.

To be fair, I have only played 5E. Self-taught here.
>>
>>46342519
5e draws quite a few character options from 4e, but is mechanically more similar to older editions only much smoother.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.