[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your army will be dead soon!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: MFzFCSI.png (461 KB, 780x1560) Image search: [Google]
MFzFCSI.png
461 KB, 780x1560
GW seem to be squatting everything that is not Khorne or Sigmarines.

When will this madness carry over to the "less popular" 40k armies?
>>
>>46336139

I'm good. I play the objectively better game, Kings of war.
>>
>>46336139
The faster geedubs kills itself the better.

We're entering the pathfinder age.
>>
>>46336139
What army is getting the ax now?
>>
>>46336252

High elves
>>
>>46336265
Aelves*

Kill me
>>
Nice meme
>>
>>46336265
Wait, seriously? Aren't Elves one of the bigger fantasy armies?
>>
>>46336329
They're pretty big on the last chance to buy section now.
>>
>>46336215

Has the kickstarter for those dropped yet?
>>
>>46336406
Not quite yet
>>
>>46336265
Nope. Part of their range is getting squatted, but mostly the metal and resin kits. A few plastic ones are going but this is the rest of the range that is staying:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer?N=102351+4294965330&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat

Next time know a little more about what's going on before you shitpost.
>>
>>46336638
>three arms
wat
>>
>>46336964
but anon if he knew it wouldnt be shitposting
>>
>>46337051
Have you heard of a little thing called chaos?
>>
>>46337307
>>46336638

God damn, these have the best 80s fantasy style I've ever seen in a mini. Help a poor anon out with a name
>>
>>46336291
I wished they did kill the Empire.

At least Bretonnia doesn't have to suffer the indignity that is Age of Sigmar.
>>
Friendly reminder that GW doesn't have a monopoly on wargaming (no matter what they'd like to think) and you can play whatever you like, including many games with the minis you already have.
>>
>>46338482
>you don't have to play warhams
>you don't have to play DnD
>you don't have to play MtG

But everyone does.

Cultural inertia, anon. It takes the path of least resistance. Legions of fat, glassy-eyed neckbeards who fear unknown rulesets and, with limp, bovine indifference, shrug their shoulders and stick to the objectively shit systems that they're familiar with.
>>
>>46336139
It is already there in 40k, but it will take longer to get rid of the stock

Since GW no longer produces metal models they can't just melt down the sisters and voystoyans like they used to do
>>
I have a metal green knight, I really should paint him up. Maybe he'll be used someday in an rpg or something, poor little guy.
>>
>>46336291
I wonder why GW bothered with the dumb name change for the Elves when they just axed them
>>
File: 2621111.jpg (97 KB, 710x310) Image search: [Google]
2621111.jpg
97 KB, 710x310
>>46338482
>tfw people at my FLGS still regularly play earlier edition WHFB with their armies
>tfw you can still amass armies via Ebay or other sites for years to come
>tfw the rules are still all available online
>tfw people making homebrew rules for Araby and Kislev
>tfw we never bring up Age of Shitmar

WHFB is not dead
>>
>>46339223
But elves arent axed. Have you been reading the thread?
>>
Spoke to a GW manager yesterday, and in terms of the Elf plastic kits he told me they were basically getting rid of the older plastic kits that are single variable, and that have an equivalent among the other Elf factions.

Basically explained it as don't need High Elf Archers because they have Wood Elf Archers that are newer.
Don't need High Elf Spearmen, because they have Dark Elf Warriors that make 3 different variants.
Don't need Glade Riders, because they have Dark Riders.
And so on.

Yes, it sucks for people who play one of the 3 Elven factions exclusively (fortunately for me, I play Dark Elves who lose barely anything), but with the merging of the Elves it makes sense from that stand-point.
>>
>>46340084
Well with the order battletome we will also be seeing the subfaction splits. Dark elves are getting split into several subfactions as well as high elves. The wood elves arent really getting split (unless you already count the sylvaneth) and will be grouped under wanderers.

When you look at the AoS app, they have the new subfaction groupings.
>>
>>46337919
Pantheon of chaos

Spanish sculptors getting together with an old realms of chaos era artist, Tony Ackland, to make new minis
>>
File: Erection Rising Revengeance.jpg (99 KB, 515x590) Image search: [Google]
Erection Rising Revengeance.jpg
99 KB, 515x590
>>46340179
>>
Think they might just be getting rid of all their old models to make room for some new super pretty molded ones.

That or they're really fucking insane.
>>
>>46340319
I'm getting at least one regiment of chaos warriors worth out of it that's for sure. I'm up to 4 different companies now, and the ones I made
>>
>>46340881
That guy reminds me of the mannequin mutation, do they have a guy with that?
>>
>>46340881

I'm not a huge fan of chaos, but will they be doing other fantasy models in this vein?
>>
File: 6tfyuhkj.jpg (72 KB, 540x398) Image search: [Google]
6tfyuhkj.jpg
72 KB, 540x398
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there’s some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever Bretonnia. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom Bretonnia bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of Bretonnia’s, breathing Bretonnian air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by Bretonnia given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under a Bretonnian heaven
>>
>>46340980

>F
>>
>>46340964
They have a handful of chaos goblins if that counts, which are more like hobgoblin heroes for chaos dwarfs than anything.
>>
>>46338168
It's also dead Jim, they just killed a bunch of miniatures.
>>
File: SeaKelp.jpg (45 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
SeaKelp.jpg
45 KB, 250x250
>>46338808
>Cultural inertia

Stripped of the juvenile ad hominem, this is my thought, too. Except it's not "fear" of new rules driving the inertia, but the certain knowledge that everyine in the group UNLEARNING is twice as hard as the learning. Then judging the point at which that effort will seem too great for a casual B&P game played with a circle of chill buds.

Also, anyone who claims to think that 40k's Igo>Ugo>Move>Shoot>Krump rules are "objectively" bad are WAY too serious about plastic dinosaurs and army men and in obvious need of more beer.
>>
>>46341778
Well they aren't objectively bad, the main issue is the blatant lack of balance.

Although personally I've never been an igo ugo fan, I prefer a more intertwined turn structure.

But that's subjective.
>>
>>46338482
>>46338808
>>46341778

People actually like 40k DESPITE its shitty rules and GW being fags.

Nice "cultural inertia" argument for WHFB. See where that got you.
>>
>>46341843
Peoples still play it because of it's inertia, even with total abandonment by the company
>>
>>46336139
>your army will be dead soon
So? I got the models I wanted, hell, I'm pretty sure I could grab one or two more boxes and I'm golden for the rest of my wargaming career.
Unless I decided to go full retard and burn my shit and not find another use for them in another game.
>>
>>46341901
[sarcasm]Right, because anyone that plays 40k does so completely begrudgingly and without joy[/sarcasm]
>>
>mfw gamers call aleguzzler gargants giants
>mfw gamers call aelves elves
>mfw gamers call firekin hearthguard dwarf slayers
It's like GW looked at the old British slang copypaste and thought it should be applied to their models.
>>
>>46336139
What 40k armies are most at risk?
>>
>>46342181
>extinct
squats
>extinct in the wild
sisters of battle
inquisition
IG/AM that aren't cadian or catachan
>critically endangered
orks
chaos space marines
catachan
>endangered
cadians
dark eldar
>at risk
harlequins
>>
>>46342177
British slang might be more copyrightable than the usual terms for things
>>
>>46341778
The complete inability of lots of gamers to even consider anything other than 28mm is irritating.

"Let's do Kursk at 1:1 - 28mm will be perfect on a 6x4 table"
>>
>>46342181

Sisters are removed from the game entirely, rarely mentioned even in fluff.

Eldar, Harlequins, and Dark Eldar folded into one Codex, simply titled "Eldar." Harlequin and Dark Eldar choices fall by the wayside compared to Eldar cheese.

Imperial Guard suffer long stretches of being unsupported, as do Inquisition, Assassins, Deathwatch, Tempestus...

Skitarii/Mechanicus get a release of a large Titan walker, reck meta for a while. Most of their other models are completely invalidated, and Skitarii themselves are rather pointless Core model fillers.

Space Marines stick around, surviving on detachments of specific units and being the absolute staple of the setting, but rarely feature prominently on the table save for their formations, usually psykers. Space Wolves continue to get wolfier, eventually receiving werewolf-like models in power armor. Dark Angels continue on, oft ignored but occasionally supported. Blood Angels suffer the slow decline, rules updated rarely, and don't even compete against Vanilla SM.

CSM are around, of course, as are Orks and Tyranids, as staples of the setting too large to retcon but too unpopular to actually support, so live on bad Codexes and formations for years on end, writers and designers throwing half-assed rules and formations their way, rarely thought out and often contradictory. Slaanesh gets retconned, Tzeentch and Nurgle take a backseat to Khorne in every instance.

Tau continue to wreck the meta, unchallenged and fully supported. Tau continue to retcon old fluff, getting sillier every edition while auxiliaries remain a Codex staple "for flavor" but never see battlefield deployment anymore. Begin to see galactic deployment in fluff outside Tau space.

Flavor of the season Knight permutation. New gun, new melee weapon, new shield or system... eventually a psyker, and this continues in perpetuity.
>>
>>46341901

Nobody played WHFB even with inertia, that's why it was squatted. Inertia means momentum, which means more new players, which means sales to keep the franchise from being squatted.
>>
>>46342576

>Inertia means momentum, which means more new players

Anon, you know "inertia" is a value which can go both up and down, right? Something with a large amount of inertia can continue to cost for a long while before stopping, it does not come to a complete stop as soon as it stops being a positive value.
>>
>>46342659

Nobody would use the term inertia in a non-physics related discussion to describe what you're talking about though.

The context in which he used the word clearly meant momentum. In fact, isn't the entire discussion based around popularity and majority play?
>>
>>46342754

>Nobody would use the term inertia in a non-physics related discussion to describe what you're talking about though

We just were.
In this very thread.
>>
>>46342375
My bigger problem with 28mm is in most of the rules. Quite simply if two opposing sides at 28mm scale are within 6 feet of each other, THEY ARE IN CLOSE COMBAT. An actually good ruleset for that scale would acknowledge that the players have already bypassed most of the stages of combat and focus entirely on the assault the players are in. The shit games pull with ranges are so counterintuitive.

The only game that comes close that I've seen for that scale is Chain of Command. It does this by reducing the ground scale to 15mm, and even then it doesn't include penetration bands since virtually all gaming tables don't allow for more than "oh shit how did they get so close" range.
>>
>>46342576
>nobody played WHFB
>Accounted for some 30% of gw sales at least at the time of the chapterhouse debacle

wew lad
>>
>>46343348
>sales were so good they had to be squatted!

wewus ladius maximus
>>
>>46343937
30% of sales is an objective fact

Being squatted is someone at gw making a bad business decision that hasn't helped sales.
>>
>>46343959

30% of sales isn't 30% of profit. If they're losing money it doesn't matter how much it sells. Space Marines outsell WHFB combined.
>>
>>46343959
>30% of sales is an objective fact

No it isn't, it's just some number you heard. Prove otherwise.

You can't, because GW doesn't release revenue breakdown by product line to the public.
>>
>>46343347
Thank you. Jesus Christ it's annoying to have a rifleman or bolter or whatever only shoot 12 or even 24" I mean a modern assult rifle's effective range is around 400m. You shouldn't be able to run around exposed to the enemy anywhere near the distances seen in 28mm games.
>>
そのルールはその国の言葉も話せないバカの為のルールです、昔は会議用に使われていました
>>
>>46343959
It was doing pretty fail in 2012, but 8th failed to see much growth and end times was a commercial failure.
>>
>>46336139
>My army

I play Dark Angels, so I'm perfectly safe.
>>
>>46346399
That's what we said anon.

In 2014 we thought we were safe. Perhaps brets always had a show over them, but tomb kings? It could happen to you anon. It could happen to anyone.

Top down evaluation of all our ranges anon.
>>
>>46346413
I somewhat doubt any 40k faction (except maybe SoB) will see the axe anytime soon, given that 40k is much bigger
>>
>>46344092
It also doesn't account for decaying accuracy over that range.

Like at 400 meters you might not actually hit the dude but you could suppress him, whereas 12 meters whoever shoots first should basically always hit.

I think Epic 40k actually handles this very well.
>>
>>46336215
wait a fucking second, that's a beast of Malal!
>>
File: 1454559079528.gif (49 KB, 69x120) Image search: [Google]
1454559079528.gif
49 KB, 69x120
>>46346399
Fellow DA here anon.

You do realize that as of the current lore there is a Greater Demon on the Rock that somehow tricked all of our Librarians, Chaplains and Watchers in the Dark and led us through a series of stupid circumstances that ends with us bombarding Fenris with 12 other chapters? All the while the Grey Knights look to be siding with the Space Wolves because "lol, ur planet may be mutants but it's not deamons. stupid dank angles think it's warp taint." while an Inquisitor with a grudge specifically against the Dark Angels sniffed out the demon that everyone in the Rock was apparently not good enough to notice.

If there ever was a time for us to worry about the fate of the Sons of the Lion, it is now.
>>
>>46338482
>Friendly reminder that GW doesn't have a monopoly on wargaming (no matter what they'd like to think) and you can play whatever you like, including many games with the minis you already have.

For many of us, it's not so much about the wargaming, but about the universe, the connection to the fluff, and something that just resonated with us.

If it was just about the wargaming, we could just push white boxes with names printed on them around a table.

At this point, I just hope that GW dies before they ruin things even more.
>>
>>46339083
Or you could hold on to him and sell him on eBay when the price inevitably sky rockets
>>
>>46343959
he wasn't arguing that point, oh mover of goalposts
>>
>>46340791
Have you seen the AoS releases mate? They older ranges are still better than the new ones be far.
>>
>>46346673
fuck, meant to quote
>>46343984
>>
>>46344092

Effective range of the M16 is 550-800 meters according to handbooks but when we were firing it in the military anything past 500m is very difficult to hit in combat conditions.
>>
>>46346687

Nobody was arguing sales to begin with. Sales figures don't even have anything to do with how many people play.

GW is the same company who says only 20% of their customers use the miniatures for games on their shareholder tour.
>>
>>46336638
>>46337307
>>46340179
>>46340881
>>46341031
>>46341826
It's like we are back in the 80's. Literally, they looks like copypasta of a couple of old GW models.
>>
>>46346843

80's design with 2010 sculpting quality isn't a bad thing. Have you seen the actual 80's models? They're lumpy pieces of shit.
>>
>>46346413
>but tomb kings
I can understand that, just how old exactly are those ancient white plastic models that the Tomb Kings skeletons are based on? Fucking hideous.
>>
>>46346843
I see no problem with this
>>
It is literally irrelevant how good a game is or isn't, the biggest flaw with wargaming is that if people are not playing what you want to play you are screwed.
>>
>>46343347
Six feet at 28mm is nowhere near 'close combat', that is still nearly 150 metres. 'Assault' implies room to room or trench fighting.
>>
>>46347024

It's the fog of war!
>>
When will this childish 'hurr its the fans fault WHFB died!' meme go away? Atre you morons so desperate to defend everything GW does?

If a company makes a product both more expensive AND less fun then people stop buying it, that is nobodies fault but GW's. Those people still played the game and loved the setting, they just wanted GW to stop being stupid.
>>
>>46346594
Good eye anon.

Some Spaniards have sculpted the whole lot, greater demon lesser, beast.
>>
>>46347052
Support the hobby, it lives.

Don't support the hobby, it dies.

Simple as that.
>>
>>46346843
That's literally the goal
>>
>>46347060
got pics m80?
>>
>>46347052

So basically you tried to boycott and not buy any GW shit and are mad that they called your bluff and simply axed your non-profitable product line. And now you're trying to blame GW?

You have no one to blame but yourselves. When you decided to take that gamble and boycott, you ran the risk of them calling your bluff and simply pulling out altogether, whether you realized it or not.
>>
>>46342162
Haha you'd think so if /tg/ was anything to go by.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 264x191
>>46347101
>boycott

Are you sure you know what that word means

>>46347088
>>
>>46342285
I'll be rocking my steel legion till I die.
I didn't buy an infantry armies worth for nothing!
>>
>>46347121
>>
>>46347121

It's like you're not even aware of how many self-entitled poorfags on this board scream for GW boycotts or advocate chinashit just to stick it to GW.
>>
>>46347121
>>46347136
Cheers, I only started after the rift, so all I got was the odd reference and namedrop.

They would be tempting to grab a few for my collection though I haven't played any flavour of Warhammer for years.
>>
>>46346700
then I could point you to the WHFB thread on /tg/ which is relatively active even after the game has died, but you would tell me that they never bought anything so that's no good either.

I cannot play football like this.
>>
>>46347052
When economics starts working on stupid
>>
>>46347150
>company makes a thing
>raises price and lowers quality of thing
>people buy less of thing

This is not a boycott

You are very dumb.

You are saying that customers should continue buying a product they no longer like and if they dont they are responsible for its failure, not the creator.

I think they call your sort shills.
>>
>>46346634
It's also not like the old editions magically don't exist.

I can always still play 3rd ed 40k.
>>
>>46347084
True, but I think people hoped that letting it die might cause a positive change, not age of fucking sigmar.
>>
>>46346689
Yeah but at the scale of the game an inch is reasonably close to 1m in real distance so the whole game board is well within 500m
>>
>>46336964

'part of their range'

literally their whole core and all characters save two. they have less fucking kits now that fucking stormcasts. they have basically ceased to exist as a stand-alone faction, they're just a complementary/allied force for stormcasts

go and count your shekels instead of posting nonsense redshirt
>>
File: caja-de-caballeria-lugubre.jpg (56 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
caja-de-caballeria-lugubre.jpg
56 KB, 600x600
>>46347084
>thing is good
>People get invested in thing
>New people put in charge of thing
>fuck thing up
>People still like the thing for what it used to be but no longer pay for shitty version of thing
>solution is to kill thing that's fucked up and replace with new total nonsequiter thing rather than to return to the old way
>People who liked old thing upset

Seems like the person who messed up the thing in the first place's fault to me
>>
File: gladeriders.jpg (869 KB, 1228x4241) Image search: [Google]
gladeriders.jpg
869 KB, 1228x4241
>>46340084

dat GW logic. because pic related unit is perfectly replacable by fucking dark riders, they look exactly the same
>>
>>46347261
An inch is roughly 1.5 meters in 28mm which is theoretically 1/60th scale or so

A 6 x 4 table is roughly a wide football field
>>
>>46343984
>Space Marines outsell WHFB combined.

Even if this is true, which isn't unless you think space marines account rougly 70% of 40k's sales how is it a good business decision to replace it with a product that sells 1/3 of that? Look at GW's stock numbers, after the 15% drop in sales in the last half year report they are continuing to regress with every AoS release, their stock value is at a 2-years low. They only get spikes basically when they put up entire factions for last chance to buy
>>
>>46344013

No, that's the only real number we have, 34% to be exact. It is plain said by Andrew Jones, GW's head of Legal and Licensing during exhibit 15 of the lawsuit.
>>
File: king_by_denstarsk8-d7h7vup.jpg (176 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
king_by_denstarsk8-d7h7vup.jpg
176 KB, 768x1024
>>46347340
From a business perspective that is expected. When reorganizing you should expect regression until things are sorted. The question is whether age of sigmar pays off in the long run. I don't personally think it will but we simply can't know yet.
>>
File: 99120217001_TombGuardNEW01.jpg (55 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99120217001_TombGuardNEW01.jpg
55 KB, 600x620
>>46346952
Bunch of them were 3-4 years old. Stellar kits, mind you, still got squatted.
>>
>>46347297
no Dark riders looks like 1000 times better than this shit, even when painted to the useless greenpeace elf scheme
>>
>>46347101

Look at the numbers they are posting since the AoS fiasco, the company hasn't been so low in years. I'd say it's their loss to 'call the bluff', given that they lost a fuckton of money with that decision. But nevermind that they are at an all-time low, they really showed us, that's what matters!
>>
>>46347381

And Skitarii look better than the whole Dark elf range. Let's replace shitty Dark Elves with Skitarii, win-win!
>>
>>46347381

You realize this is pretty stupid logic and are just trolling right? It doesn't matter they look better or not, they are conceptually different models. I mean a Phoenix might look better than a Hydra but you don't squat the Hydra because there are Phoenixes in the range.
>>
So is this a squatting or a relaunching of the sculpts for AoS?
Same with Tomb Kings:
Was it really a squatting or are they putting out new AoS sculpts to replace them?
>>
>>46347188
That's not what he's saying and you know it. Stop being a penis.
>>
>>46347441

Yeah, they are putting out new AoS sculpts, Space Marine and CSM conversion materials.

Literally there have been like 5 models that weren't Sigmarines or Chaos (the buttugly naked dwarfs). Meanwhile they killed like 120 models of the range with no replacement. I wonder why people are angry really...
>>
File: 1436357626322.jpg (147 KB, 1024x769) Image search: [Google]
1436357626322.jpg
147 KB, 1024x769
Whelp.

Time to either start liking skinny insect-armor elves
Or buy used GW god forbid

I was never very fond of the GW High Elves aesthetics though.

What other alternatives are there?
I was considering an a Elf army.
>>
>>46347444
That is exactly what is being said.

>you "boycotted" the product
>therefor its your fault it was discontinued
>ergo you should have bought it even though you thought it was shit not worth the price

What exactly is he saying if not that?
>>
>>46347101
>boycott

It was not a 'boycott'. And stop being a mewling fanboy. Do you really think the solution is to keep buying an overpriced product that is becoming less and less enjoyable? Its not the fans fault GW is too stupid to understand WHY sales were falling.

if they actually did research and listened to what people want they would realise why 8th killed the game. Instead they doubled down on most of the issues people had and unsurprisingly it backfired spectacularly.

>>46347444
That is exactly what he is saying. Ever since AoS the internet has been crawling with GW apologists who think its the fans fault for not supporting a product they no longer felt was worth the money.
>>
>>46347505
http://unsupported-armies.blogspot.cz/2015/09/high-elves.html?m=1
>>
>>46347024
close combat does not imply melee or room to room.

Put 50 people with guns nearly 150 meters from 50 other people with guns and ask them how close the combat feels.

Protip it will feel very close.
>>
>>46347569
If you want to use words in a non ordinary fashion do not act surprised when you confuse people.

Close combat actually does only imply hand to hand or very, very short range firefights on the order of trench or house clerance.
>>
File: mg-kwe92-1.jpg (78 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
mg-kwe92-1.jpg
78 KB, 1000x1000
>>46347540
>The widest consistent range of miniatures on the list is Mantic, and better yet with Army package deals
Whelp.

Era of the skinny Elves it is.

Coneheads had a good run. RIP in pepperoni.
>>
>>46347297
All that effort gone into painting and basing, and he or she didn't bother to greenstuff in the crack in horses' chests.
>>
File: thursday.jpg (719 KB, 980x3400) Image search: [Google]
thursday.jpg
719 KB, 980x3400
>>46347633
>Era of the skinny Elves it is.

God, the thick guy's going to be heart broken.
>>
>>46336139

who cares?
Just play 9th age.
http://www.the-ninth-age.com/?simple-page/
>>
>>46347909

Hard to play any game without models lad
>>
>>46347914

maybe bec i already have paid my weight in gold in gw for models didn't think of that.
But there are models everywhere and you can buy them, clubs, or ebay sell them dirt cheap.
>>
>>46347926

Dirt cheap like $200 per 10 tomb guards, I see
>>
>>46342285
>>critically endangered
>orks
>chaos space marines

Do you have brain problems?
>>
>>46340179
That's a nasty bugger there. Don't like the sword though.
>>
>>46347914
Many armies have alternate miniature makers

Unless you play tomb kings or lizards
>>
>>46348183
Be cool to use washes to give it a translucent skin effect.
>>
>>46336139
Bretonnia is gone
>>
>>46348113
He means as tabletop factions, my friend.
>>
>>46336329
elves are still in. its High elves specifically that are being dropped.
>>
I just hope somebody like the drunk Spaniard steps up for High Elves.

Maybe now, after the Death of WHFB, Elves will finally have decent looking core troops.
>>
>>46349984
I understood that, and my point still stands. CSM and Orks are both iconic, fundamental and have giant model ranges. Just because their current rules are ass doesn't mean they aren't popular overall.

DE, Harlequins, Necrons and even non-vanilla SM are closer to getting squatted than Orks and CSM are if you consider the historical, fluff and model range precedents.
>>
>>46349984
If anyone really thinks Chaos Space Marines are actually at risk of being squatted, they are actually retarded. CSM won't go away, not while there are still huge Chaosfags left in the company and not while they are still MOTHERFUCKING MUHREENS.
>>
>>46339273
even in AoS word from the local blackshirt is that you can still play Brettonian/ tombkings in store. Their rules are still current and they are GW minis. They just won't be getting anything new is all.
>>
>>46342375
that's because 28mm hits the sweet spot of being large enough to really pretty up. but not so large that having potentially a couple hundred models isn't practical.
>>
I'm late to the party. Been out of the hobby for about 4 years, coming back now.
Are all these disappearances canonically explained for AOS? Like an earth-shattering event?

Or did GW literally wipe out entire factions with no real note or explaination?
>>
>>46350614
IIRC a few were explained
This appears to be relaunching the models for AoS, the skirmish game. I suspect round bases won't be the only pain in the ass when trying to use them for WHFB.
>>
This just in: GW continues to act like an abusive boyfriend, players still hold on to the good memories and pretend it'll be okay. More at 11.
>>
>>46350614
Fluff is that things are integrated. No need for egyptian dead when all skeletons work for undead
>>
>>46336139
good riddance to the MEME armies thank fucking god.
>>
>>46350841
>pretend it'll be okay

Have you not been paying attention? The 'players' have given up on GW now, that is why there is so much talk about proxy models and chinamen.
>>
File: 1409173876224.jpg (198 KB, 627x627) Image search: [Google]
1409173876224.jpg
198 KB, 627x627
>>46340980
Chivalry never dies if you have the strength to uphold it.
>>
>>46350115
Go away shill. Everything is fine now. Down the line, when they release a substantially different new edition and don't port your army, you are fucked. Or when the power creep begins (because it will) you will be left behind. Or if you didn't finish it, you are equally fucked. Not everything is easy to find.

Very easy to play squats or dogs of war now, isn't it? Fuck you retard.

>>46350867
>being glad for having less options.
You really are special, aren't you?
>>
>>46350614
yeah. the earth of the old warhammer setting literally shattered
>>
>>46350614
>Like an earth-shattering event?

That's exactly what happened.
>>
File: 1459196532958.jpg (536 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
1459196532958.jpg
536 KB, 873x627
>>46351558
I love you Bretonnia
>>
>>46353495
Sleep well little prince.
>>
>>46346630
So another person with the reading comprehension of a child?

If you actually read the book instead of reading the /tg/ meme summary in the countless bitchthreads, the Dark Angels are helping the Space Wolves. They responded to them to save the Wolves from the taint of Chaos and are purging all elements of daemonic taint they find. They aren't there to kill the Space Wolves.
>>
>>46353495
Bretonnia loves you too, anon.
Unless you happen to be a shit-eating peasant.
>>
File: g8r.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
g8r.gif
1 MB, 500x500
>>46350104
Also so much of he fluff uses them as the villian
>>
>>46341778
Igo ugo is fine. 40k isn't.
>>
>>46344092
Yeah, just what 40k needs. Even longer ranges. So movement can be completely skipped.
>>
>>46357494
>strapping realistic ranges onto an already busted game system cobbled together in the style of an Ork mek would make it even worse
No shit. I was referring in the original post to the lack of games that build the system around sensible ranges.
>>
>>46357494
Do range beyond the brackets we have now like Rogue Trader.

-1 Str beyond the listed range, roll a 6, and then your normal roll to hit to actually hit.

Naturally, some weapons and units are still gonna be "possibly worth trying anyway", but hey.

On the other hand you might not even necessarily have line of sight in the first place at that kind of range. Something will inevitably be in the way and you will be struggling to hit.
>>
>>46357494
40k is flawed in concept desu

28 mm sci-fi with giant warmachines and some 100 soldiers per side is just silly as hell.

40k ought to either be a room clearing skirmish type game or at the epic scale. 28mm is for skirmish or for pre assault rifle regimental combat, not for modern 100 man fire fights
>>
>>46336139
company releases new game, slowly removes produces associated with the old game before replacing them with new ones that fit the aesthetic and theme of the new game better
>people are surprised at this

of course they are going to fucking remove and change factions that literally don't exist anymore or at least don't exist in the same way they did before
>>
>>46357749
So you think normal 40k should be Zone Mortalis.
>>
>>46357749
From a realistic perspective, 40k ought to be fleets of spaceships fighting for control over the space over planets, which are bombarded without ever having a soldier set foot on them.
>>
>>46351664
>when the power creep begins
How does power creep in a pointless game even work?
>>
>>46358001
You cannot hold ground with a bombardment. You cannot resist an invasion by factions who want to capture your stuff/prefer fighting in person with one either.

As long as there is 'stuff' people want to keep instead of blowing up for whatever reason you always need soldiers.
>>
>>46357749
>28 mm sci-fi with giant warmachines and some 100 soldiers per side is just silly as hell
That doesn't mean it can't be fun. For some people realism just isn't everything. The problem is that it isn't any fun, even though I really want it to be.
>>
>>46358084
I don't think realism is his issue.

28mm is just the wrong scale for 40k from a practical standpoint, it worked when two squads of marines, a tank and a commander was fairly normal.

In the name of selling giant plastic kits GW is also causing a lot of tension, knights and baneblades as standard units is a very divisive thing but GW pushes it hard.
>>
>>46358226
I see. Yeah I totally agree with that. Reducing model count could be the first step towards making the game interesting.
>>
>>46358316
Not going to happen, big kits cost a lot and small armies make less money. So GW will keep pushing 40k in this direction just like they did Fantasy.

In their mind smaller scale games serve as competition with their main product, not as an entry point.
>>
>>46357749
Necromunda
>>
>>46344092
it's just practicality. all wargames have weapon ranges out of scale, because you need most of your weapon ranges smaller than the play surface if you want manouver or tactics too actually matterand needing a tennis court too play on is just silly.
>>
File: Chaos dwarfs1.jpg (160 KB, 1600x667) Image search: [Google]
Chaos dwarfs1.jpg
160 KB, 1600x667
>>46357911
Zone mortalis is more appropriate for 28mm yes
>>46358001
What are
>boarding actions
>holding valuable positions
>>46358084
That's the problem. In my opinion 40k is a fairly bad game played in spite of it's poorness due to it's very fleshed out and fantastic setting, nice miniatures, and the fact that 28mm is probably the best scale for a hobbyist.
>>46358677
Also more appropriate for 28mm

I generally play Inquismunda and just model because modern 40k with it's knights and giant blobs of guys and huge templates flying left and right, 10 ostensibly super human mega soldiers being blown to bits in one blast, it's just not much fun to me.

When I want to do the 100 guys at 28mm thing I play fantasies spiritual successors because a ranks and flanks game at the scale is far more fun and reasonable to me than 40k
>>
File: 1430376415103.jpg (160 KB, 669x564) Image search: [Google]
1430376415103.jpg
160 KB, 669x564
>>46357231
>everyone who loves Bretonnia has no trace of noble birth
>>
>>46362386
Speak for yourself. My family used to be a knightly house until we got swept away with most of the minor nobility in England.
>>
>>46340084
Dark elves already lost good models when the god tier executioners got replaced with the shitty new ones. And the old plastic warriors were better than the evilmurderdeaths or whatever they called the new version.
>>
>>46350085
>>46350104
>>46349984
they won't get squatted in the traditional sense.

Orks and CSM have had barely any new models in years. As time goes on, new models will be less and less frequent. Codex updates will be far between, yet rushed rehashes of previous editions with little if anything added.

They will be there, but not there. They will fade slowly into the background like the NPCs they are.

Maybe one day when Age of Abaddon is released, Deldar, Orks, Tyranids, and CSM will all get merged into a single "Villains of the Imperium" alliance book
>>
>>46342534
IG are fucked for the same reason brets/empire were fucked. It's incredibly easy to get "sci-fi soldier" minis from any one of a hundred places outside GW.
>>
>>46365638
Orks just got those warmachines just a year or two back, the mini-gargants. Orkonauts? I forget.

Either way, it's just GW's focus has shifted to bigger models more than new individual ones.
>>
File: Hypaspist.jpg (150 KB, 1600x534) Image search: [Google]
Hypaspist.jpg
150 KB, 1600x534
>>46365659
solution is to make them less generic

pic related

>>46365723
and CSM got helbrutes not that long ago

but one model every few years is more to keep the players there than to really get them spending much
>>
>>46350085
The problem is, if they don't fix the rules at some point, it will lead to the same thing that happened to SoB.
Garbage rules -> People move to better armies -> less sales -> No need to update a model line that's not selling -> Death spiral

As much as GW likes to claim people just buy their models on looks, rules do matter. One more edition of being in last place and one of Nids/Orks/CSM may fall victim to Sisters Syndrome.
>>
>>46336252
Most of High Elves, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, and Dwarfs.
Half of Empire.

Next up: Orcs & Goblins, Ogres, Giants.
>>
>>46346399
High Elves were the second most played army in Fantasy, and had a metric fuckload of new models.

Here we are.
>>
>>46346843
They actually are.
Tony Ackland is doing the design, he did most of the art in the original Games Workshop works in particular Rogue Trader and Warhammer Fantasy RP.

Since Ackland was a freelancer hired to do work rather than an employee, he owns his designs. So those are canon models GW doesn't own the rights to.
>>
>>46365964
>Since Ackland was a freelancer hired to do work rather than an employee, he owns his designs.
depends on the contractor agreement, but since GW didn't let their legal dept. run their company back in the 80s it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the freelance designer still had the rights
>>
>>46366025
They DO still have the rights.
GW hired everyone on freelancer status, and because the two guys working on Malal had a falling out with each other they split the IPs they owned between the two. Their lawyers sent GW a letter saying if GW wanted to keep using Malal, they'd have to negotiate paying for it.

GW immediately fired everyone, told them to contract or GTFO, and never bothered even finding out how much using Malal would cost. They dropped the models they'd made before they were released and ended the comic mid-story.

Basically, Chapterhouse before Chapterhouse.

Ackland owns all the designs he made, including the entire line of Daemons and Mutants GW had either planned or already made models of. He's never pursued action against GW but they still won't touch his shit regardless.

So we have an added bonus of being able to buy models of legitimate early Games Workshop canon creatures and characters because Priestly told Ackland "make like ten Daemons".
>>
>>46366121
so basically GW didn't draft their contracts very well, then got told to get bent by a salty contractor and hired a lawyer

and that was the beginning of the end
>>
>>46366160
Well it was the end of having radically different artstyles.
Most of the guys working for them stayed working for them, but they ensured they completely owned everything created.

Basically, it was like the comicbook industry. Originally, there was a combination of idea men and execution men. Some like Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were on even ground, Stan came up with story ideas and concepts while Jack executed it and everyone involved got credit. Some like Bob Kane came up with a name, which others like Bill Finger actually made every other part of the character, and Kane took all the credit. So after the early lawsuits an agreement was made where creators were specifically on contract, creators would own their characters after a certain amount of time without the character being used which was fair. But...then many years later, around the 80's, companies ensured even the shittiest characters would appear for like two issues as a background character (for example the crime-solving talking Monkey in a Sherlock Holmes hat Batman is friends with) so nobody ever gets the rights back. Which resulted in a bunch of green newbies being hired like Rob Liefeld who were content to create and create and create without understanding or caring how they were being screwed, resulting in those creators finding out and either slowly taking over the company as the only ones willing to stay with the company long enough and take enough shit or as a bunch of social outcasts who tried to do their own thing and failed miserably (AKA Image Comics, barring McFarlane and Erik Larson).
>>
>>46366340
personally I think their designs these days are very hit or miss

some models are excellent, others look silly.

but the tooling and the fidelity of the sculpts has never been better. When I first saw the DV models after years of absence I was stunned. The detail on them is really incredible, and although some of the DV models are parted out sort of strange, the moldlines are pretty much never obscure any detail
>>
>>46366340
Now, the comic industry is so toxic NOBODY wants to create anything for a big company because you don't ever see that character again, they might sue you for drawing that character or even autographing comics you drew for fans, and your character will be bastardized for cheap sales in a constantly renewal of the same fucking stories from the golden age over and over and over because nobody is making anything new. So as a result, all the talent that would be creating amazing new shit is now in webcomics but the problem being that a lot of artists are shit writers, a lot of writers are shit artists, without an editor and with a paycheck no matter how much or little you produce there's little drive to maintain a joke a month and actually update things, and T-shirts sales combined with furry porn commission money ensure you'll stay at a certain level of mediocrity where you produce more angry comments about movies and video games than actual content.

Well...that's Games Workshop too.
They kept everyone on freelance and it was iffy who owned what, GW clamped down and said they own everything but you're free to create, but over time their business practices of wringing out successful ideas of every last drop while not rewarding actual decent creating drove away the talent. That talent went and created other competitors, some like the Perry Brothers are successful while others have failed like most of the GW 90's competition. Now, the company is creatively bankrupt with only a handful of people who are either on a leash and are unable to say or do much like Reynolds (comic parallel is Brian Azzarello) or have their mouth full of GW cock like Gav Thorpe (comic parallel is Geoff Johns).

Russian Alternative and Pantheon of Chaos are your equivalent of the new competition, the successful webcomics and Image books. Or at least Mantic is webcomics.
>>
>>46366417
GW hired a lot of new people after the management change. We'll see how that pans out.

They also took some big risks. for all the moaning about last chancing the old models, they've released a lot of new stuff, and who honestly predicted GW would reopen its specialist games division?

GW is trying to change. Maybe for the worse, maybe for the better.
>>
File: JLD.jpg (106 KB, 800x594) Image search: [Google]
JLD.jpg
106 KB, 800x594
>>46366417
That's not even getting into how Age of Sigmar is the same "event every summer, same shit different name" clusterfuck like comics are now.

How many times can the multiverse be in danger before nobody cares anymore? How many times can you entirely reboot canon while still keeping the same continuity fuckups before everyone stops giving enough of a shit to even argue about why it is shit? How many times can you kill a character before the audience stops caring if they live or die?

Fuck, they've even done the worst habit of the comic industry now. The comicbook equivalent of first day DLC or pay to win free games, where you use some flimsy excuse to send a series back to issue #1 because issue #1 always sells a lot despite the fact the story is still continuing like it was still issue #25 and the only difference is the character has a new costume and there's three alternate covers which, although neat looking, are buying the same book twice for a single different piece of paper on top that costs a grand total of $30 to collect all of.
Which is basically how GW is releasing fuckhuge $100+ kits to replace what was once a guy on a horse.

Shit, I rambled so much it wasn't very coherent but I hope my points were somewhat there.
>>
>>46365763
I wouldn't call Vostroyans generic. Even the Armageddon Steel Legion is a bit of a mish-mash.
>>
>>46366533
I wouldn't call them generic either, but the old vostroyans and steel legion are old metal models.

hell, even the cadians are over 13 years old.

I think one issue is that GW recognized that having models for every regiment is very expensive to produce, so they made one generic regiment. Now they've found that the generic regiment is, well, generic.

The guard a new face regiment, just like the SM have Ultramarines.

My vote goes to Multi-Kit Plastic Vostroyans.
>>
>>46366474
Blood Bowl is interesting, and the models don't look so bad, but there's nothing in Age of Sigmar I'd even pay money for in general let alone the ludicrous prices.

Look at this. Not bad sculpts, not amazing, they'd been a lot of the noise sanded off and clipped to appreciate what's good about them, but ninety American dollars for three basic models? I can get a huge fucking monster for that! I can get a Reaper dragon that's half the size of me for sixty!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gorechosen-Champions

Seriously, what are they thinking?
>>
>>46366707

Blood Bowl orcs have the coolest models out of any GW orc/ork range.
>>
>>46366739
I mean the new ones, we have a preview of two Orcs and two Empire players for the rerelease. They aren't bad, but given GW's current pricing the start set may cost $200 and the models may be three players for $100.
>>
>>46366417
I can't remember where I read it now, but somebody pointed out that basically all the new art that GW publishes are just sterile reproductions of existing models. Nobody is allowed to insert their own style or flair on existing things or show things that aren't models.

There's nothing like the old art which had its own identity and because it wasn't restricted to things with models, the art gave a sense of wonder to the universe that drew you in and really made you feel the immense scale of the setting.
>>
>>46366812
Its because GW finally realized other people were making models of shit people wanted but wasn't being made.

So, rather than make those things, GW just restricts all art to things they already make. No civilians in art, no buildings, because someone else may make it.

"I don't want to take risks, but if I can't have it then nobody can".
>>
File: 1436500587801.jpg (49 KB, 352x480) Image search: [Google]
1436500587801.jpg
49 KB, 352x480
>>46366488
I like how comic book analogies are like the normie's car analogies of fa/tg/uys.

>>46366812
>somebody pointed out that basically all the new art that GW publishes are just sterile reproductions of existing models. Nobody is allowed to insert their own style or flair on existing things or show things that aren't models.
>There's nothing like the old art which had its own identity and because it wasn't restricted to things with models, the art gave a sense of wonder to the universe that drew you in and really made you feel the immense scale of the setting.

They're in the twilight ages of an intellectual property. It was big, now decaying, and the only thing the company can seem to do is play it safe right into the grave. It's fate is sealed, there can be nothing new. It tried new, people didn't like it. Part of this phenomena is as much the fault of the fanbase as the company. Once it gets large enough, the fanbase restricts what they can do with it.
Star Wars is doing this, same with Star Trek (though we'll see how the new TV show turns out...).
>>
>>46366596
But the Space Marines haven't had to change - the pauldrons and such make them unique enough to get by, and most other games don't have the same sort of Space Marines.

As much as I like Vostroyans, I can't see them as the face of the Imperial Guard. They have the Gothic part of 40k down pat, but they feel far too elite.
>>
>>46367164
The problem is GW decided trying something new means only allowing the new thing.
You never present the second option as "or you can leave".
>>
File: Tallarn_Raider_2_by_1impact.jpg (203 KB, 850x1000) Image search: [Google]
Tallarn_Raider_2_by_1impact.jpg
203 KB, 850x1000
>>46367204
it's a tough call really. The guard are a professional military. Having something like the Chem Dogs as the face would be awesome, but not really fit what the Guard really are. In that regard the Vostroyans are much better.

Maybe new regiment, or at the very least some newer, less elite looking, Vostroyans. You want the awesome hats and fancy armored coats? You've got to earn it.

Aside from the above there are the Steel Legion, but they are kind of just OK.

Or maybe the Tallarn. With a bit of a redesign and some now models they could be really cool.
>>
>>46366596
>Pantheon of Chaos
I would get into (narrative/waaghpaca-style) 40K for multi-part plastic Vostroyans
>>
>>46367366
Please don't take things away from the Vostroyans. If you take away their hats and coats, what do they still have? Mustaches? Axe-blade rifles that have only ever been seen in old art? You've taken one of the central parts of their identity and look, and thrown it away. I know I complained about them being too elite looking, but I still like that look. It just means they aren't good for a new face for the Guard.

Regiments like the Tallarn and Valhallans are a bit too specific to one terrain. You wouldn't want the Ice Warriors in the desert, or the Desert Raiders on a lava world. They're nice armies with their own niches, but they're a bit too specific for a wider, all-around role that a face would require.

Armageddon Steel Legion isn't too bad, but they've been more or less left by the wayside in the face of Krieger love and the fact that they're so tied up by the 3rd War for Armageddon.

Honestly, I don't think the bad choice is in having Cadians be generic. They aren't a bad look, and they look like how the Guard should - I think conflating unique with fancy isn't how things should be. Just give them an updated sculpt and things should be fine.
>>
>>46358423
Yeah I know. Even then it would only be the first step on a long, long road towards a good 40k.
>>
>>46365763
They fucked up the Stormtrooper kit though, it should have been plastic kasrkin or the older metal stormtroopers.

The medieval style armour was too much.
>>
>>46368186

Yeah MT aren't bad but Kasrkin were cooler.
>>
>>46368186
It's one of the few kits GW has put out in the last few years that's actually good.

Kasrkin are good, but scions are good too.
>>
>>46368186
>They fucked up the Stormtrooper kit though
holy opinions, batman
>>
>>46366596
>My vote goes to Multi-Kit Plastic Vostroyans.

That will screw them if it replaces the Cadians though. GW is insane if they think 'generic' is a bad thing.

>>46367164
It helps if the changes are actually good though. There is a reason so many people ignore all WHFB fluff after 6th.
>>
>>46368228
What an absolutely pointless reply.

>>46368225
It may be lovely but I would only buy it if I had the parts to convert them into proper stormtroopers.
>>
The GW posterboy scions look stupid as fuck.

Scions are only awesome if you pick a cool regiment or whatever their different orders are called. Such as these anti-Eldar edgelords. There's a couple other cool schemes for Scions in the book.
>>
>>46368343
>What an absolutely pointless reply.
You bitch about the new stormtroopers in like, every thread.
>>
>>46368372
>I want to be a Necron.
>>
File: autism.jpg (19 KB, 540x270) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
19 KB, 540x270
>>46344092
>>
>>46347914
Tabletop simulator, lelelel
>>
>>46368373
Oh you are just an idiot who thinks every single person who dislikes their design is the same, got it.
>>
>>46368447
Knowing basic facts about one of the most effective weapons on the planet is not autism.
>>
>>46368500
>one of the most effective weapons on the planet

The internet?
>>
>>46368500
Its actually a bit sad how 'autism' has become this anti-intellectual slur used to attack anybody who actually knows things.
>>
>>46368500
Many young posters are under the impression that "caring about anything at all to any degree" is autism
>>
>>46368398
Well you don't get more anti-Eldar than that without becoming a chaos god.
>>
File: IMG_0244.jpg (520 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0244.jpg
520 KB, 1500x1125
>>46342285
As a cadian fanboy

I fear the end is nigh, and soon the imperium will only be defended by trillions and trillions of space marines...

you will never have fully kitted ready for war imperial guard ever.

GW leadership needs to go.
>>
>>46367366
>Or maybe the Tallarn.
Are you sure you want to endure the cries of "sandnigger-loving SJW dhimmized yuropoor multikultist muh white genocide MAKE THE IMPERIUM GREAT AGAIN Good goys shekels cucks cucks cucks KEK CUSCKSCUSCKSCUSCSJCK ! " this would bring ?
>>
>>46358061
Yes you can. Fleets are the only things that matter. You can hold ground with bombardment by simply vaporizing anything on the ground with precision lance strikes. Although it's not like the Imperium needs planets anyway, as they can still build moon-sized self sustaining space stations. Everybody in 40k is actually capable of building world ships. The only thing you really need planets for is raw materials.
>>
>>46368972
>The only thing you really need planets for is raw materials.

Everyone is Tyranids.
>>
>>46368981
people like living on planets. its a nice feeling to see the sky.
>>
>>46369020
>nice feeling
>WH40K
You are the cancer killing the hobby.
>>
>>46369049
The problem with the whole grimderp thing, isn't that it doesn't make sense. Its that it doesn't work.

Even people living on shitty squalor infested hive worlds would have a sense of beauty and try to find things pretty to give their lives a sense of calm. Its just what humans do. The harder you put pressure on it, the more they seek distraction.

You can be grim dark and have happy moments, but the happiness is entirely fleeting and futile. Thats what makes things grim. You can have happy moments and still have hopelessness. Thats what makes things dark.

The fact that there IS happiness and contentment that can happen and be found, but it's either fleeting or unattainable.
>>
File: 1261819915068.jpg (198 KB, 1200x782) Image search: [Google]
1261819915068.jpg
198 KB, 1200x782
>>46368972
But they do not have 'precision lance strikes', even the smallest lance would vaporize an enemy occupied factory or refinery facility. And they are most accurate when locked on to beacons placed by ground troops.

Tell me more about how all modern wars are won by vaporising the enemy with heavy bombardment and infantry no longer exist.
>>
>>46369097
In most any other setting, you would be blatantly right.

But the two main outlooks on 40k are
1°) the historical "40k is a satire of authoritarianism, the world is full of witches, demons and hordes of barbarian orcs because that's how the authoritarian right seems to see our world and it's the only way their ideals of eternal war and torments makes sense".
2°) the earnest edgelord "40k is an dark mirror of the grim reality of our doomed existence of meaningless torment where only self-sacrifice and righteous tyranny give sense to our doomed lives where enlightment and tolerance can only lead to ruin".

For the first outlook, any niceness should only exist to be crushed mercilessly and in a great show of atrocities to reinforce the message that this is a sick, sad, insane world that have no right to make sense and that we must dodge at all cost.

For the second group, any niceness is an editorial error that break entirely the fact that existence outside conflict, will to power and death is meaningless, that there is Only War and any beautiful thing is at best a trap set on destroying those too weak to recognize the inherent ugliness of all things.

Having nice things alongside bad things only make sense if you try to make WH40k a coherent setting with normal people living an extraordinary existence according to established rules of metaphysics. But if you seek coherency and reason in WH40k, you're in it for a ride !

See also : the introduction of the tau, and how the reaction has been either "awesome, those little guys are so bright eyed and show how much the Imperium is wrong, I can't wait to see them getting long and hard ! " or "SJWKEKSWEEBFEDORA ! I can't wait to see it demonstrated that their Greater Good is as bad as the darkness at the heart of all humanity ! "
>>
>>46369188
its written somewhere that an orbital strike is considered a "bullseye" if its within 1km of the target?

With our "precision" weapons of today 200 meters of divergence is considered accurate. thats only from maybe 10-20km away.

We are talking about shooting something from 100Hm away where even 1degree off kilter is hundreds of miles of divergence. Using machines with computers no one understand how to use anymore, with equipment that is THOUSANDS of years old. on an orbiting ship moving kilometers per second, while shooting at a moving target. All while most likely being underfire. Then when it hits the atmosphere attenuation kicks in and light refracts and bends. The factor in the force on impact is in the MEGATONS of force

Its like trying to shoot a barnacle off of a whale why flying over the ocean in a 747 with a laserbeam that explodes with the force of a grenade

They are strategic weapons at best, not meant for tactical use.
>>
>>46369295
See I always found that the more you ground things in reality the more harsh and fucked up you can make things.
as I said, I am a self admitted guard fanboy. Guard are the closest thing to "normal" in 40k, they are humans thrown in extraordinary situations. When you center guard as your basis things are much more frightening and hopeless, and grim dark. You fight desperately to maintain something you once thought was beautiful (the imperium) only to either fail or see it for what it is.

I noticed that most people who use the Space Marines as a focal point tend to go the more 40derpness, because Space Marines are not relateable. you can't connect with them, so you try to make them human, and it just makes things out of proportion. then Space Marines become usless and lack any awe or glory.

I just prefer the "historical" 40k. It's honestly more grimdark in that sense
>>
>>46369327
Except they're used for tactical use all the fucking time. Lance batteries are presicion weapons expected to hit ships a couple hundred meters long hundreds of thousands of kilometers away moving at a significant percentage of .C. Hitting something on a planet will be no problem, especially when they do so already and can use lances to strike very small areas by dialing the power to the lance strike. Lances can carve up continents or strike that asshole in his asshole house on asshole lane.

The only reason why most factions in the Imperium aren't post scarcity civs flying around in worldships is because of authors holding them back. Otherwise the Imperium can just ramp up production of their gigantic mini-phalanx space stations and fuckoff from everybody. Even the Tau can build continent-sized stations that could be converted into self sustaining biomes.

>>46369188
And we don't have orbital lasers with dial-a-yield power able to do anything from obliterate a civilization to striking a small target the size of a house. Not to mention ships are full of smaller point-defense guns using both plasma and lasers that should be capable of striking targets on the ground with greater discretion.
>>
>>46336329
>>46336252
They cut all the metal, some finecast and most old plastic models from the Dwarfs, Elves and Empire ranges. Interestingly, the Wood Elves keep their archers despite probably being older than the entire High Elf range while High Elves lost theirs.

All the newer kits are safe though, and most of the discontinued models are heroes.
>>
>>46366707

Holy shit thats bad. 90 dollerydoos for three goreskullblood he-men. Fuck. And I thought GW couldn't get any worse.

You could easily get 1000-1500pts worth of minis from third parties for that kinda dosh.

Who exactly has the money to build any armies out of GW minis with these prices?
>>
>>46366875
eh. it doesn't seem too bad for a company that relies on its IP for income too take steps too protect its hold on daid IP. the chapterhouse ruling basically means that too copyright a mini of something you need too have an actual mini straight away.
>>
>>46369574
The thing is them "protecting" it is destroying it and making it worthless.
>>
>>46369491
The Imperium does not have those either.

You are just desperately trying to push your ideas while ignoring the fact that they miss the point of 40k and would not work anyway. Long range firepower will NEVER solve everything and every single generation of people who thought it would was proven to be wrong. The smallest orbital strike possible can obliterate a small fortress and is not even close to capable of replacing actual infantry. Your way would just destroy every single resource, city and building the enemy captures.
>>
You know what the biggest problem is for me, and that is something no one ever mentions because they don't think about it.

The reason I enjoy playing is having a hobby with a huge varity of armys. Everyone saying

>bwah, it's not an army I play, who cares!

I fucking care. I play night goblins, (and although I most of the time lose) I still enjoy playing because of the diversity of games

OAS has destroyed that

> well, here are 3 factions to choose from

Fuck that, I loved playing against bretonia and all the diversity of 3 different elf armys, against VC and TK.
The second I can only play against "undead", "sigmarines", "korn" and "aelves" or even worse "good vs evil" is the second that every fucking game will look the same. And I don't like games that are always against the same 3 basic army's, I want some fucking diversity.

TLDR
I enjoy the game for it's diversity, stopping to sell certain army's makes me enjoy the diversity less, so I stop playing the fucking hobby, squatting an army doesn't hurt only the people who play that army. It hurts everyone
>>
>>46369574
Every step they take to 'protect' their IP has made it less appealing and made their art sterile.
>>
>>46369598
Pretty much. I have a space marine army, but space marines vs space marines forever is utterly uninteresting.
>>
>>46369597
Except you're the one full of shit. We see quite clearly in the black library that lance batteries can be dialed up or down for energy used in the cannons. The tabletop, dawn of war, and other games/videogames show very small, precise bombardments striking house sized areas. There is no army being deployed even, because all the transports should be blown out of the sky while landing, or the troops picked off while disembarking, let alone popping the buildings they flee into. Troops should be completely worthless if one side still has ships in orbit. They only become useful when one party completely owns orbit and can land troops uncontested.
>>
File: Lance.gif (458 KB, 400x239) Image search: [Google]
Lance.gif
458 KB, 400x239
>>46351558
>>46353495
>>
File: 1449025494758.jpg (251 KB, 949x1180) Image search: [Google]
1449025494758.jpg
251 KB, 949x1180
>>46369640
technologically speaking it would probaly be possible for them to use Lance strikes to control a world and most likely they do.

But it's important to remember that a lot of Imperial worlds are militarized, and thus have hardened targets that cannot be destroyed by orbital lance. or have orbital defenses.

Or quite simply, the minor amount of collatoral damage you would have is still more costly than throwing hundreds of thousands of corpses at the problem, because there's so much shit the Imperium cannot replace

More importantly though, it's not thematically in line with 40k, which is about face to face battles and it's space combat is styled after Renaissance-to-WW1 ships of the line, with battleships reigning supreme using hull lined volley fire. Imperial ships SHOULD be festooned with turrets with 280 degree firing arcs covering all portions, missle bays, and smothered in escourt fighters but they aren't, they're massive naval combat style monstrosities with fuck huge side cannons and prow lasers.

Also maintaining ships in orbit where they can bombard people costs fuel.
>>
>>46368575
Oh damn, I didn't even think of that, I was just commenting on the skull-mask. That's brilliant.
>>
>>46369777
What is the blue chair?
>>
File: B2pol.jpg (69 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
B2pol.jpg
69 KB, 546x700
>>46368936
If it gets /pol/ out of /tg/, I'd endure a cruddex for my army and have them squat cadians.
>>
>>46357783
>expecting /tg/ to not chimp out and shit itself over anything
>>
>>46369188
>>46369327
>>46369491
>>46369597
>>46369640
>>46369777
Ultimately, the in-universe explanation for why the Imperium doesn't simply bombard everything from space would be that damage to a world and infrastructure matters more to Terra than even millions of dead people, because while the Imperium has basically unlimited manpower it "only" has a quickly diminishing stock of a million worlds to feed its massive war machine

The real-world and primary explanation is that it'd render the setting moot.
>>
File: 63666.gif (210 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
63666.gif
210 KB, 500x500
>>46369893
>That one /pol/-tier neckbeard who makes a nazi-themed Imperial Guard and then eagerly expects every indifferent person at the FLGS to have a problem with it so he can chimp out.

Every goddamn time
>>
>>46365638
>>46365763
Orks got 8 new kits one and half years ago you nignog, they're nowhere near slowly fading away.
CSM haven't gotten an update in over 3 years but when they did, they too got 8 kits and a god damn starter set, not counting the massive waves of Daemon kits a couple months before and after their release.

Compare that to Necrons that got ONE kit with their codex, despite being over 2 years old at that point.
>>
>>46347297
Those horse models look fucking awful.
>>
>>46362386
My family has a village named after them.
Thanks to the 2 world wars, we are no longer it's owners but WE SHALL RECLAIM IT FOR THE GLORY OF KHEMRI
>>
>>46365802
Do you seriously believe shitty rules was the only reason SoB did poorly?
How about being the only army in 2e whose entire line of models was metal, including basic troops?
Or getting absolutely no new models for 7 years?
Or when finally getting their long awaited update EVERYTHING WAS STILL METAL, despite DE, Necrons and Tau, who were introduced during that timespan, all got multiple plastic kits along with their inception?

SoB never got the full treatment because no one on the design team had any passion for them, that's why they're a barely existing mini-army at this point. CSM and Orks have been cemented into the setting and model range for over 20 years, consistently getting new models regardless of their rules.
>>
>>46368372
That's part of the weirdness of Stormtroopers - now they can be their own distinct regiments, despite also getting attached to Imperial Guard regiments. It just adds another unnecessary layer to things, especially since these Scion regiments aren't that interesting and the lore means the Scions themselves aren't exactly personable.

I'm not hating on GW for trying to do something different, but maybe they could've based these Stormtroopers around regiments they had served with. Those who'd served with the Armageddon Steel are good at fighting Orks, that sort of thing.
>>
File: Empire_1_.jpg (198 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
Empire_1_.jpg
198 KB, 800x534
>>46367164
>They're in the twilight ages of an intellectual property. It was big, now decaying, and the only thing the company can seem to do is play it safe right into the grave. It's fate is sealed, there can be nothing new. It tried new, people didn't like it. Part of this phenomena is as much the fault of the fanbase as the company. Once it gets large enough, the fanbase restricts what they can do with it.

While this is true in every fanbase, I would be fine with GW making changes with WHFB if it didn't involve:

A) Wiping out the whole world.

B) Shoe horning in space marines stand ins.

Christ, 40k is already 50% space marines. I play WHFB to get away from the giant bastards.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.